I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Getting up to speed

Repair your own defective K1200GT ABS pump

I am currently repairing my 2007 K1200GT ABS unit that has fault code "No power to ABS pump". The pump is repairable as the problem associated with this code is sticking brushes in the motor.

(This is the generation of ABS that does not power assist, but does emit continuous "clicks" when you activate the front brakes as it apportions a percentage of the front brake force to the rear.)

I have separated the pump from the ABS (to disassemble the pump and get at the motor brushes) but both the separation and reassembly is quite a nightmare and requires machine shop involvement. The ABS was not designed to taken apart.

However, I feel there is a way to access the brushes without taking the motor to bits. This involves strategically drilling access holes in the motor body and brush carrier plate to access the brushes.

Does anyone have a non functional ABS that I could have?? I am happy to pay for postage and will post my results if I come up with a successful procedure!

Thanks

Dennis
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Re: Repair your own defective K1200GT ABS pump

What Dennis has done is quite impressive. His bike has the latest generation TEVES ABS, and when my GS-911 was connected, it showed a "power supply" failure in the ABS system.

Using a "Full Speed Ahead, and Damn the Torpedoes" approach to the problem, he has partially disassembled the ABS system and found that one of the motor brushes is stuck. As he mentions, the problem now is that a plastic cover needs to be removed to access the brushes, but there is a bearing hard against the cover, that no puller can get behind to remove.

At least one other member of I-BMW was getting the same error message with this ABS system, so it if Dennis can get access to the motor brushes, it will allow a way to fix TEVES ABS systems, rather than spending $2K or more on a new system.

He also has a series of photos that he might share, if someone can give him instructions on how to post them.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

I want to see....altough I don't have that system, that could answer someone else questions somewhere else.

My quick way for pics, upload to Picasa or Photobucket, then click the little icon here above, the yellow one with mountain/sun on it where I am pointing the cursor. Then copy paste the link from the photo hosting site into the window that opens when you click the icon. You may have to delete the Http thing in the window first so it doesn't double up with your link.

Image should appear in the post.....like this.

Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Getting up to speed

It is too early for me to post pictures as I have not reassembled it yet. It turns out that the new bearing I got is the wrong size and there are a couple of other new issues that require a machine shop. This is why I am hoping to get a non working unit to work with and drill to possibly have a way to do the brushes without going to a machine shop and without disassembly of the motor which requires destroying the existing motor ball bearing!

But I can tell you that it can be done, it is just that doing it for the first time involves more destruction due to learning!

Dennis
Vancouver
Old 09-04-2012, 12:00 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

Put your photos in small pixel format into your photo gallery. Then you can open your post on the I-bmw site, and in another window your photo gallery pictures ("my photo gallery"). In your photo gallery click on one of your photos so it gets big. Then all you have to do is drag it to the curser in your window with the post your typing up. Make sure the curser is a line or two below your text. Then below the picture the curser will show up or maneuver it down and do another picture with the enter/return key ...and so on.

and more

all taken from a post on this site. Loose brushes.....

Here is a place that does the work.
http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 AM
It is a definite Maybe

Send a message via Skype™ to lazeyjack

what about drilling and tapping then squirting in some wd40, ,
there are ways to do this without swarf getting into the casings
how long do these brushes last?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 AM

Please no WD-40. Some Electrical Contact cleaner or CRC Electrical degreaser blue can lable, would be good. But this is so much work, you need to be sure what is going on. WD leaves a tacky film when it drys. It really is not suitable for this. (tar removal and work bench cleaner in my opinion, spray some on a steel surface, check it over a few weeks and see how it progresses. There are so many good products these days, time to move on.)
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 AM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Please no WD-40. Some Electrical Contact cleaner or CRC Electrical degreaser blue can lable, would be good. But this is so much work, you need to be sure what is going on. WD leaves a tacky film when it drys. It really is not suitable for this. (tar removal and work bench cleaner in my opinion, spray some on a steel surface, check it over a few weeks and see how it progresses. There are so many good products these days, time to move on.)
yes you are dead right there are better things, I spray wd 40 on my machine tools and you are correct it does setup
I am at a real disadvantage here, not actually collected my bike yet, so cannot (see ) these probs
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Site Contributor

Just so people know, a company called Module Masters in Idaho will fix this problem for $150. They are seeing many of these failures, and have the experience.

Dennismo (and others) have my admiration for tackling this issue on their own, and my appreciation for posting descriptions and photos.

Speaking strictly for myself, I would rather pay the $150 and avoid the risk of damaging a $2,000 part.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,101 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Just so people know, a company called Module Masters in Idaho will fix this problem for $150. They are seeing many of these failures, and have the experience.

Dennismo (and others) have my admiration for tackling this issue on their own, and my appreciation for posting descriptions and photos.

Speaking strictly for myself, I would rather pay the $150 and avoid the risk of damaging a $2,000 part.

Just called them $350 for my 02 iABS repair!..Now, if only it would just SLIDE right out

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazeyjack
what about drilling and tapping then squirting in some wd40, ,
there are ways to do this without swarf getting into the casings
how long do these brushes last?

Drilling and tapping WHAT? He is trying to pull a bearing off the end of a shaft, where there is no simple way to get behind the bearing to pull it off. All this is to try to get at a brush that is stuck and makes only an intermittent contact to the commutator. WD40 won't help.

The brushes themselves will last the lifetime of the bike.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Getting up to speed

It is a long story but I got the bearing off by TIG welding a tube to the outer race and ....

But all the work I have done is one time only. Now that I have it open, I can see the way to easily free the stuck brushes is by drilling into the motor casing and not having to disassemble the unit

Dennis
Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Shooting the gap

Kudos to the OP for being the first one into the breach here, but THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES. Keep it coming!

GTRider
2004 K1200GT GrauGruen
2010 K1300GT Apple Red Metallic
Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 AM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Drilling and tapping WHAT? He is trying to pull a bearing off the end of a shaft, where there is no simple way to get behind the bearing to pull it off. All this is to try to get at a brush that is stuck and makes only an intermittent contact to the commutator. WD40 won't help.

The brushes themselves will last the lifetime of the bike.
Please keep your hair on and please read back
I alreadysaid did I did not have the a motor in front of me--the post was for all dc motors in general
I was thinking of drilling the casing and flooding it with some electrical contact fluid
then draining it, whilst it is flooded then tapping with a soft hammer may then just free it
I have though stripped and rebuilt the mech side of 300kw ac motors. What I suggested may just work
I already said the words wd40 was a poor choice of words
Have a simply wonderfulday
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

CRC Lectramotive would be a good choice for this application. I buy it in the aerosol cans for quick jobs, but also the gallon jug and use and old spray gun for bigger stuff:

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/cont....aspx?PN=05018

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Shooting the gap

I just love those tech treads

Please continue
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 AM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt
I just love those tech treads

Please continue
smiles, idea is to live and learn and stay in the saddle
I,m in my seventh decade(bugger) and the day I stop learnin, is the day I die
Do not usually subscribe to stuff in a spray can, --bottled gold, but there are exceptions for sure
For penetrating oil I just mix kerosene and oil, or as in American terms Stove oil and , oil
Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 AM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
CRC Lectramotive would be a good choice for this application. I buy it in the aerosol cans for quick jobs, but also the gallon jug and use and old spray gun for bigger stuff:

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/cont....aspx?PN=05018
do you make your own whisky?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to captstevens Send a message via Skype™ to captstevens

I just got my08 Kgt back from the dealer last week I'm sorry I didn't ask for the ABS assembly, I expect that the dealer either threw it away or sent it back to Bosch!!! It cost $1586.00 for the repair my dealer did get BMW TO PICK UP $500.00 OF THE TAB so it could have been worse!!! I no longer have any faith in this machine for long term viability. So will probably sell it!! I do love the way it handles and the comfort and performance but anger hearing all the problems with the cam chains etc. I'm afraid to ride it very much or very far for fear of something else going wrong!! The cost per mile of owning this machine has gone out of sight!!!
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge 1200, 2009 Harley FLTRI, 2008 BMW K1200GT/4!! 2012 R1200GS. And have just re-acquired my old 1975 R90S that I put a turbocharger on in 1978!!!!! Also a new acquisition just bought a 14' R1200RT-WC, addendum!! Traded my '75 R90s Turbo for a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S: my friend the gm of HD of WV WANTED it for his personal collection, so what could I do????
OK,Ok, I need Profesional Help, I admit it!!!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'captstevens' for this post:
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstevens
I just got my08 Kgt back from the dealer last week I'm sorry I didn't ask for the ABS assembly, I expect that the dealer either threw it away or sent it back to Bosch!!! It cost $1586.00 for the repair my dealer did get BMW TO PICK UP $500.00 OF THE TAB so it could have been worse!!! I no longer have any faith in this machine for long term viability. So will probably sell it!! I do love the way it handles and the comfort and performance but anger hearing all the problems with the cam chains etc. I'm afraid to ride it very much or very far for fear of something else going wrong!! The cost per mile of owning this machine has gone out of sight!!!
I am very sorry to hear this,
did you get the camchain guard done--do it yourself abt 30 dollars?
I must admit I am worried too, coming over from Au to pick up the bike and spending a lot on fares, gear etc. If it does break I,m going to be down the tubes for min 6k plus the bike) However In the poll abt serious valve train failure over 80% of bikes are ok
Yes it does seem the fjr 1300 Yamaha is pretty well reliable from all I have read
I feel very upset for you
I do not know what business you are in or if you could do your own repairs, but I discovered a full shop manual on ebay in cd for form the other day, not much use on the road though!
You would think that BMW Would bend over backwards to help, it is their reputation at stake here
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
do you make your own whisky?

How'd you know??

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to captstevens Send a message via Skype™ to captstevens

yes i did the cam chain tensioner and the jump guard myself not difficult but the bolts were expensive which are according to BMW ONE USE only!!! they cost over $50.00!!!
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge 1200, 2009 Harley FLTRI, 2008 BMW K1200GT/4!! 2012 R1200GS. And have just re-acquired my old 1975 R90S that I put a turbocharger on in 1978!!!!! Also a new acquisition just bought a 14' R1200RT-WC, addendum!! Traded my '75 R90s Turbo for a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S: my friend the gm of HD of WV WANTED it for his personal collection, so what could I do????
Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

on the abs failure the brake fail light came on steady at start and didn't go out as i started to roll normally it blinks until you roll a few feet for the sensors to be read by the ecu. I read about the chain jump guide and tensioner on this forum and did some preventative maintenance myself!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 AM
2013 Member of the Year

The big news is that Dennis freed up the stuck brush, reinstalled a new bearing, reassembled the ABS system and.... everything works now! Apparently, BMW's solution to a sticky motor brush is to replace the entire ABS system for multi-thousands of dollars! Ridiculous!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:54 AM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
The big news is that Dennis freed up the stuck brush, reinstalled a new bearing, reassembled the ABS system and.... everything works now! Apparently, BMW's solution to a sticky motor brush is to replace the entire ABS system for multi-thousands of dollars! Ridiculous!
Great, well done Dennis
Bush mechanics will rule YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 09-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW

Great! I'm already drooling over DIY instructions
Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Getting up to speed

I have fixed my K1200GT 2007 ABS and it is back working on my bike.

However, my fix was the long route to fixing the ABS. I separated the motor from the ABS unit, used a machine shop to get a bearing off the motor shaft, ground away locking tabs on the motor, exposed the stuck brushes, and bent the brush holders to free the stuck brush. Then reassemble with a new replacement bearing with a trip back to the machine shop to make a lockdown bracket to pin the motor to the ABS unit as they are crimped together (and crimps were ground off to separate them).

Total cost was less than $150 for the bearing and the machine shop time.

What I learned when the unit was apart is that there is a far easier way to free the stuck brushes and it does not require splitting the motor from the ABS unit.

This involved drilling and cutting access holes into the pump motor and accessing the brushes to free them. Basically first one cuts access holes, then grinds away some internal plastic with a Dremel to expose the brushes. There would be no outside cost to this and just your time! I think the time involved is less than an hour.

I have made a template of where I would cut the access holes and need a non working unit to perfect the technique on so I can write it up.

Dennis
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'dennismo' for this post:
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,770 Times in 2,796 Posts

Thanks Dennis, we'll look forward to the details!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Thanks Dennis, we'll look forward to the details!

DOUBLE Ditto....

My local dealer acted like it was so much trouble to deal with the aftermarket warranty that I bought from BMW Daytona (his own fault-they didn't have the bike I wanted), that I've been riding without the abs function for a bit. The Gs-911 gave me the same code - ie: Power supply to pump motor faulty. I know/knew it was fixable, just finding the time to fix it was/is the problem. 2 cars, 1 bike--1 wife, 1 daughter, and poor ole me. Guess who always wins.

I saw where Troy from TouringSportBmw in Greenville http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=29881 was at another spot up there, and may have to take a ride north to see if he can do it under the warranty, since he worked on my Gt I bought from them. If not, I'm diving in myself.
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12GT - KIA @ DGR '09 - 32978 smiles
'08 K12S
'17 Ktm XC-W 300 Six Days

Robert Manucy
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

I've been folowing this thread because the problem could show itself on other types of ABS pumps.

My question for Dennis is what causes the brushes to stick in the first place? It is not the best solution to just tap them free. Is it the wire braid getting trapped in the slider or is the brush holder lacking sufficient clearance when brush deposits build up? This type of motor should run for many hours, is it innactivity that starts the problem?

Beech put up a couple of posts. Not sure if this is the same motor, but those brushes look a close fit in the holders. You often can file down these type of brushes and increase clearance in the holder.

I also thought about filling up the motor with switchcleaner and blasting it through with an air line. but then you would wash out the bearing grease so not such a good idea.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Getting up to speed

Good question

To me there are three possible reasons why the brushes might get stuck.

1) Some brushes do have metal as part of their composition (for longer wear) and the metal can absorb moisture (ie oxidize) and swell.
2) Clearance was never enough such that brush powder wedged and caused sticking
3) The design of the metal brush carrier is that it is riveted to plastic. If you look at how the carrier is made, it is possible that if the plastic were to shrink a bit, the brush carrier could pinch the brushes.

To met the solution for all the above is to file the brushes until they are nice and loose in their carriers.

Dennis
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Metal brush carrier on plastic? I bet these motors run at 10 amps or more. With all the commutating and arcing those brushes will get hot and expand on all 4 sides. But am I right in thinking the motor is hardly ever going to run for ABS, or is it running the servo so would get a lot of use?

Your point about moisture causing surface corrosion and then a brush sticking could be a problem with infrequent use. Is the motor fitted in a place on the bike where water thrown up could penetrate the motor? did you spot any signs of discolor or stains on your brushes, holders or internal parts?

Quote:
To meet the solution for all the above is to file the brushes until they are nice and loose in their carriers.

Yes, I think that is what you have to do, but I would file radii on all 4 corners, since it is the corners that will stick first.

What did you think about the tension on the tension springs? This is often a compromise - weaker tension gives longer life less brush/commutator wear, but worn brushes might stick. Higher tension gives good contact and less tendency to stick but more brush and commutator wear. On a motor that gets very little running, higher brush tension would still give good service life and less chance of sticking.

From what I read Dennis, getting inside seems a big problem. I can see how you could work out the position of the brushes to drill 2 holes to work the brushes up and down, but you would need something more than that to actually get them out for filing.

Do you know who makes the motor, are there any non BMW markings on it?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Getting up to speed

You have raised a lot of good points I had not thought of!

The motor does run whenever one squeezes the front brake as the pump turns on (and clicks!) and portions 10% of the front brake force to the rear. However, there was hardly any wear on the brushes on my pump (with 17,000 kms).
I think your point about the brush springs is excellent. The springs are not that strong. Thy are much, much weaker than the spring in ball point pens. Now that you have raised the point, I would try get some stronger springs from a motor rebuilt shop, were I to fix another motor.

The motor is very well sealed and I think it is impossible for moisture to get into it.
There was no sign of moisture inside of it.

There is no sign of who makes the motor. The whole unit is made in Hungary.

Dennis
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Site Contributor

May I digress on behalf of ignorant newbies like myself? I would like to clarify my understanding of how the motor works and the problem that we are trying to solve. Please refer to the photos in post #5, above.

Would someone please correct any misstatements in the following:

1. The brushes are not really "brushes" with fibers, but those curved copper pieces that protrude from the light metal rectangular housings. Inside the light metal housing is a spring that pushes the brush onto the iron or steel metal parts with gaps that rotate past the brush. There must be a wire inside the light metal housing that connects to the back side of the brush.

2. The brushes must maintain constant contact with the iron or steel in the rotating part.

3. The reason that there is a spring behind the brush is to maintain a consistent pressure on the rotating part. I assume that the rotating part is very smooth so that the brush does not "bounce" as the other part rotates past it. I assume that the motor cannot work if the brush is constantly bouncing. The reason for the spring is so that the motor continues to work as the brush is worn (eroded) by the rotating part.

4. When a brush is "stuck", it means that it has somehow been knocked back and lost contact with the rotating metal part. For some reason, the spring cannot push it forward again to make contact with the rotating metal part.

If the above is more-or-less true, then what causes the brush to get stuck? What knocks it back? What is preventing the spring from pushing it forward to make contact with the rotating metal part?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Getting up to speed

I have commented next to each of your statements.
Dennis

1. The brushes are not really "brushes" with fibers, but those curved copper pieces that protrude from the light metal rectangular housings. Inside the light metal housing is a spring that pushes the brush onto the iron or steel metal parts with gaps that rotate past the brush. There must be a wire inside the light metal housing that connects to the back side of the brush.
THEY ARE COPPER COLOURED DUE TO THE METAL IN THEM, BUT I THINK THEY ARE MOSTLY GRAPHITE AS I CAN SCRAPE THEM.
YES, THERE IS A BRAIDED WIRE EMBEDDED IN THEIR NON-COMMUTATOR SIDE. THE WIRE GOES TO THE PLASTIC HOUSING I HAVE MENTIONED AND FROM THERE TO THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD IN THE ABS UNIT

2. The brushes must maintain constant contact with the iron or steel in the rotating part.
YES

3. The reason that there is a spring behind the brush is to maintain a consistent pressure on the rotating part. I assume that the rotating part is very smooth so that the brush does not "bounce" as the other part rotates past it. I assume that the motor cannot work if the brush is constantly bouncing. The reason for the spring is so that the motor continues to work as the brush is worn (eroded) by the rotating part.
EXACTLY!
4. When a brush is "stuck", it means that it has somehow been knocked back and lost contact with the rotating metal part. For some reason, the spring cannot push it forward again to make contact with the rotating metal part.
YES. I THINK THAT THERE ARE TWO POSSIBLE REASONS FOR THEM GETTING STUCK

1) THE CLEARANCE BETWEEN BRUSH AND BRUSH HOUSING IS SO TIGHT THAT GRAPHITE POWDER, GENERATED AS THE BRUSH WEARS, IS GETTING TRAPPED BETWEEN THE BRUSH AND BRUSH CARRIER EVENTUALLY CAUSING IT TO STICK OR

2) THE BRUSH HOUSING, DUE TO THE WAY IT IS MADE, IS GETS A LITTLE DISTORTED WHEN THE PLASTIC CARRIER IT IS MOUNTED ON HEATS UP CAUSING THE BRUSH TO STICK INSIDE THE CARRIER.
(I DON'T THINK THAT BRUSH SWELLING DUE TO MOISTURE IS A FACTOR BUT CAN BE A FACTOR FOR BRUSHES WITH METAL CONTENT)

If the above is more-or-less true, then what causes the brush to get stuck? What knocks it back? What is preventing the spring from pushing it forward to make contact with the rotating metal part?
THE SPRING IS VERY, VERY WEAK AND WHEN I OPENED UP MY MOTOR, THE BRUSH WAS VISIBLY (IE PERHAPS 10 THOU OR MORE AWAY FROM THE COMMUTATOR) NOT TOUCHING THE COMMUTATOR. I THINK THAT, AS YOU HAVE THOUGHT, IT WAS BOUNCED AWAY BUT THE SPRING WAS NOT ABLE TO PUSH IT BACK ONTO THE COMMUTATOR DUE TO BRUSH DUST BUILD UP. THE COMMUTATOR WOULD HAVE BEEN MACHINED TRUE WHEN THE MOTOR WAS MANUFACTURED, BUT THE ONE OF THE TWO BEARINGS THE ARMATURE RIDES ON IS NOT A BALL BEARING, BUT A BUSHING HELD IN PLACE BY A LEAF SPRING. I SUSPECT THERE IS MOVEMENT OF THIS BEARING DESPITE THE LEAF SPRING WHEN THE MOTOR IS TURNING, ESPECIALLY DUE TO THE VERY JERKY NATURE OF THE PUMP THAT THE MOTOR DRIVES, THAT WOULD TRANSMIT THE JERKING MOTION BACK INTO THE MOTOR.

I HAVE LOTS OF PHOTOS ON MY DISASSEMBLY AND REPAIR BUT THEY ARE EACH 100K TOO BIG FOR THE FORUM AND I AM NOT ABLE TO ATTACH THEM. DO CONTACT ME OFF LINE AND I CAN EMAIL BRUSH PHOTO TO YOU.

I MUST SAY THAT ALTHOUGH I ENJOYED MY ABS REBUILD PROJECT, I EVEN MORE ENJOY THE FORUM CORRESPONDENCE ABOUT IT.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Site Contributor

Thank you for the detailed and informative reply. PM sent to request the photos.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Dennis was kind enough to forward his photos and drawings to me so I could post to this thread, however he stated the following:

"Here are some photos. But I don't want to post them and say that cutting into the motor to access the brushes is viable until I have tried it on a non working unit"

Dennis"

Personally, i wouldn't hesitate to get the Dremel out and start slicing!

I'll let Dennis explain the drawings, but I think they are self explanatory

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 09-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for posting the photos Rick.

There is a photo showing a brush not in contact.

There is a photo of the motor armature and brush carrier just for interest. If cutting access holes to the brushes, the motor will not be disassembled

There is a photo of a hand drawn template of where to cut access holes.

The holes are to be cut on the side of the motor where the ABS brake fluid pipes go in.

1) Take off the front left fairing.

2) Take the ABS unit out of the bike after bleeding all the fluid out of front and rear brakes. If you don't bleed out the fluid, I suspect the front reservoir will drain itself through a pipe you have undone. Cover the holes where the brake pipes go into the ABS so that foreign matter cannot get in. The four pipes are undone with an 11 mm wrench and the 3 nuts that hold the ABS unit down need a 10mm wrench.

3) Cut access holes to get to the brushes as per the drawing. When cutting holes in the motor housing, have a very close, constant high vacuum source sucking the metal bits away as you DO NOT want metal bits in the motor. This is a quick way to motor failure.

4) After the access holes are cut, use a dremel to grind away the exposed black plastic bits that hide the brush carriers. Use vacuum to suck out bits as you dremel.

5) The rear of the brush carrier will be exposed. Bend the metal flap slowly out of the way so the spring then the brush comes out. The brush has a wire attached to it and will not come all the way out.

6) At this point there are two ways to go and since I have not done this I speculate...

7) The first way is to push a thin piece of metal, like a trimmed 5 thou feeler gauge, into the brush carrier to shave the brush (as the brush has not come all the way out.) Kindof like reaming. I don't know if there is such thing as feeler gauge sized metal emery boards.

8) Also shave the exposed part of the brush with a sharp knife.

9) The second way is to cut the pulled out brush in half, pull the wired half to the side, let the free brush piece fall out, then cut a new brush the same length as the freed brush piece that has lots of clearance in the guide. I think the ABS pump only works when the brakes are activated as I saw virtually no brush wear on my unit that had 17,000 kms on it. Thus you can cut the new thinner brush, the same length as the loose piece you pull out. You can measure the old brush's dimensions and make it thinner. I cannot tell you at this time how much thinner than the old brush until I do it myself. Also shave the brush section with the wire attached to it with a knife.

10) The put the newly cut brush in, then put the wired brush back in after shaving it, then the spring, then fold the metal tabs back. Before you close the metal retainer flap, check that the spring will not be coil bound. If it is, shave the length of one of the brushes until it is not coil bound. Be careful not to open and close the metal flap that retains the spring and brushes too much or it will break off.

11)Then use the vacuum to again suck any debris out of the motor, seal up the motor with black electrical tape, then tie wrap the electrical tape so it never comes loose.

The reinstall the ABS unit and bleed the brakes.

Sorry these instructions have no photos but I have not done this yet!
Whomever does this first, please modify the instructions based on your experience!
Dennis
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 AM
It is a definite Maybe

Sorry these instructions have no photos but I have not done this yet!
Whomever does this first, please modify the instructions based on your experience!
Dennis (quote)
Well done
For what it is worth , we used to put coppercote on marine dynamo brushes as often they would stick
Yesterday I was in a saw motor, the pigtails were not attached just forced to contact the tangs, weird
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:

Is it simple to bleed the brakes, or you need a GS - 911 to bleed the ABS modulator?
I red that after the whole system was drained, you need to connect the tester and give some "instructions" to the modulator which starts the pump and bleeds the modulator.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: Repair of defective K1200 ABS pumps

hey everyone with Stuck Brushes on the ABS power module. ModuleMaster.com fixes this problem for just $150 plus shipping to and from vs paying $3000 to a dealer.

1-888-892-0764
Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Re: Repair of defective K1200 ABS pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanclamman
hey everyone with Stuck Brushes on the ABS power module. ModuleMaster.com fixes this problem for just $150 plus shipping to and from vs paying $3000 to a dealer.

1-888-892-0764
that's good to know, I'll bet for that price they do what I suggested, drill hole, fill with that stuff someone else suggested, shake it in a paint shaker plug it up and send it back. One supposes there are tens of thousands of (moduler) nightmares out there to make the business viable
thanks for this info
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

they actually told me that they replace the brushes entirely with one that don't crack or get bound up in the race they sit in. my bike was sporadic, i could take a screw driver and smack the motor housing and the ABS would work again for a while until it got stuck again then you just do it again!

$150 and 5 days is well worth it vs $3k at the BM-dummy dealer ship
Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi guys,

I am new here.
Thanks to all of you writing about this ABS problem I dared to start my own repair project.
I own a R1200R make 2007 with only 30000 km (about 19000 miles).
I was suffering from ABS light on (sometimes light came on during ride or touching the front break lever.
I first went to the dealer and the diagnostics showed permanent power failure (24048/24049) and some other errors which could be cleared.
Dealer needed an extra few hours for diagnostics.
Because of bad weather conditions last week I canceled this appointment and started searching the Internet for ABS problems.

Now for the project itself:
Yesterday I removed the ABS unit (under the petrol tank)
removed the brake lines from the ABS unit as well as the ABS unit itself.
Then I removed the motor from the unit and drilled 2 holes.
I broke both tabs because the holes were to far from the locking tabs, but I superglued them back.
I could free the brushes by bending the brush housing a little bit apart in the slot were the wire from the connector must slide through.
With an aircompressor a blowed all dust away.
After reassembling the motor I put it back to the unit the same way it was mounted before.
I think that is poor engineering, but i didn't dare to drill holes and bolt it together.
I put everything back on the bike and the only thing I need to do now is bleeding the brakes and connect the ABS connector back to the unit.
I made a lot of pictures so I can give full details of how I went through the project.
Sorry for my bad english, but writing in Dutch is not a better solution here :-)
In a few days I can let you know how this finished.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
It will save me a lot of money I guess.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 PM

Excellent job. Please post pictures and give the final results.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Entering the on-ramp

This afternoon I continued the job.
First I bleeded the rear break by adding new brake fluid to the reservoir and draining the old fluid with a tube in an old beer bottle
Together with the fluid also the air bubbles came out.
Bleeding the front breakes lasted a little longer, because the brake lines go down instead of horizontal.
When the break pedal and the lever felt hard enough i first did some brake testing by walking with the bike and touching the break levers.
It braked well enough so it's was time to connect the big connector back to the module.
This was a very exiting moment, because you don't want to fry your module...
Everything kept quiet so after that I switched ignition on.
ABS light blinking now so that was the first achievement I made.
When I now pushed the bike and touched the front brake I could hear the pump motor rotating and making some brake pressure to the rear brake.

After assembling all other parts bike to the bike I could do a testdrive.
During hard braking on the rear brake I could see a red triangle in the dashboard for a short while but fortunately it disappeared. Maybe this was caused by some air remaining in the break lines.
Some more testing showed that the rear brake pressure is now modulated so I could not let the rear wheel block any more.
Conclusion: ABS is back again.
I did a short testride and the ABS light did not show again.
Only it blinks after switching on ignition but that's normal behaviour.
In a new post I will add some pictures with comments.
Mission accomplished!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Some pictures:
preparation and labeling the unit brake lines:

The big connector:

Original pumpmotor assembly (poor cheap engineering):

More will follow.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Serial number on the back of the motor:
21240837125462 Could not be found on the Internet.
The bearing (26mmx10mmx8mm) comes from Thailand

Here you can see the unit with the already removed motor and the rubber gasket.
I put it there so I could not forget it:

The drilled holes in the motor housing.
You have to drill as close as possible right after the slot:
5 or 6mm is the best size for the holes.
It is very difficult to drill these holes without damaging the plastic tabs
I did manage to drill the holes (3mm) but did not succeed to save the tabs.
afterwards I superglued them back, but that's not the best solution.

The inside of the motor with the tabs glued to the cover:

A close up of one of the brushes
It is very hard to give some space for the brushes but with moving them a lot of times and use of a air compressor I succeeded to give them a little more moving space:

This one shows the already assembled motor with self adhesive tape on the holes:

Here I put the motor back to the unit.
The same way it was done before:

Close up:
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'damted' for this post:
Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismo
It is too early for me to post pictures as I have not reassembled it yet. It turns out that the new bearing I got is the wrong size and there are a couple of other new issues that require a machine shop. This is why I am hoping to get a non working unit to work with and drill to possibly have a way to do the brushes without going to a machine shop and without disassembly of the motor which requires destroying the existing motor ball bearing!

But I can tell you that it can be done, it is just that doing it for the first time involves more destruction due to learning!

Dennis
Vancouver
How did you manage to remove the bearing, did you have to destroy it by crunching the outer ring in a bench vice?
I did not dare to kick them lose with a nylon hammer on the axis.

With the bearing removed it's a lot more easy to reach the brushes and make them move better.
The size of this bearing is approx 26mmx10mmx8mm (outer/inner/thickness)
Is this a standard bearing size?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Standard sizes in the machine world is what makes the difference in modern machinery. If you read Machinists Handbook there are desireable standard sizes for many things inclucing dimentions. There are very few custom bearings made. Your bearing in question:
http://www.kartpartsdepot.com/Spindl...kpu-kpu201.htm
(tapping on the shaft to remove the bearing is a one way trip of course. A new bearing would be needed in this case.)
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Banned Spammer

I think all post are well said...............................
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I have the same problem on my '07 K1200r Sport. Pump is under the fuel tank. I was able to separate the motor from the pump without pulling the whole assembly. I did not want to mess with bleeding the brakes. Have not opened the motor yet, but will post after I have put the motor back in. My biggest worry is re-securing the motor to the pump.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwynn
I have the same problem on my '07 K1200r Sport. Pump is under the fuel tank. I was able to separate the motor from the pump without pulling the whole assembly. I did not want to mess with bleeding the brakes. Have not opened the motor yet, but will post after I have put the motor back in. My biggest worry is re-securing the motor to the pump.
You are sure you have 24048 and 24049 error codes?

Re-securing the motor to the unit is indeed a little bit difficult.
Take care not to remove to much material when you remove the motor.
Use a flat driver to move some of the aluminium over the pump tabs.
I used a clamb (? Dutch word is "lijmklem") is an aid.
See the pictures so you can seen what I mean.
Good luck!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'damted' for this post:
Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Entering the on-ramp

First thing I have to say is thanks to all of you that posted your fix for this problem, I was able to pull the motor and re-install without pulling the pump. I did not want to have to bleed the brakes. Some observations...Drill as close to the indent as you can. Then it's just a lite push through the hole, the magnetic force is pretty strong. Re-installing the motor to the pump was where I ran into a glitch. On the end of the motor shaft is a magnetic bearing that fits in between 2 spring loaded pins. You have to install the bearing first by putting in sideways so the pins push back, and then flip the bearing 90 degrees so the shaft of the motor slides right in. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyUvwwBQg0A
86 R80RS Mono
03 R1100S BoxerCup Replika
07 K1200GT SE
14 F800GS
and an X3 3.0SD for suit days
Old 05-18-2013, 06:26 PM

ABS pump motor brushes: I copied this following paragraph from the GS911 site, it is a note from Module masters in Idaho to a customer about the ABS2 pump and its brushes.

""Your module is the ABS4 generation (also known as iABS2). This module's
most common fault is "Low voltage to pump motor power supply." This is a
symptom of bad brushes. Many people are mistakenly opening up the module
and loosening up the brushes. This is only a temporary fix as the brushes
will eventually crumble. For our repair we actually replace the brushes and
machine the pump back to the hydraulic unit. We run the motor under a
brake-in test so when you get the module back, it is ready to go. We also
have a test fixture to run a complete test on the module so we can check for
other errors as well. Other symptoms that are possible on this module are
no communication (this is repairable) and faulty pressure sensors (not
repairable)."

S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I now have 1500 miles on the fix, and it is still working. When I pulled the motor apart the brushes looked good with lots of wear left, not sure how the would crumble over time. Just glad its working for now.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwynn
.... not sure how they would crumble over time. Just glad its working for now.

THEY WON"T! This is simply nonsense. Brushes in an electric motor don't just "crumble". The problem here is simply that the brush holders are a bit tight. Years ago, with a burner system we sold, we had the same problem.... its motor (a fairly large one, made by Bosch) would quit because the brushes would hang up in the exact same type of stamped brush holder. We simply sanded the sides of the brushes a little to make them slide freely, and they all worked perfectly after.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Nothing wrong with the brushes in mine other than they were stuck.
Think module master realise that people can now fix the problem so are putting the frighteners on ?
Oh and Btw mine has now done 6000+ miles since the repair.

Last edited by urbster : 06-28-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Entering the on-ramp

And another one sorted - my sincere thanks to the guys who posted the original fix !

Wifey's K12 R Sport began throwing up the solid red 'Brake Failure' around 3 weeks ago.
Late 2007, 17,000 miles and FSH - My 1990 R100 RS is less trouble than this PoS.

I couldn't be bothered to take it to Southport SB, all you get is the usual BS.
Even with BMW 'goodwill', you are looking at 100's to fix a poorly designed, cheaply produced electric motor on a 12,000 motorcycle.

If anyone from BMW UK is monitoring this thread - your commitment to quality sucks !

So, I followed all of the prescribed steps :

Skins and fuel tank removed

This is the '07 onward iABS module - there is occasional confusion with previous servo assisted modules - this is iABS.

Part and serial numbers - cover the ports with tape immediately.

Retaining swages ground off and motor ready for drilling.

You can see the top of the retaining tab through the 5mm hole.

Soft jaw vice, push down gently on each side to displace retaining lugs.

Use a centre punch to swage over a little alloy to retain the motor - I am not keen on the blobs of 'metal repair paste' method.
Have an assistant push down on the motor whilst you use hammer and punch.

Refit - gaffer tape still in place to keep crud out of ports.

All done - working perfectly.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'chopper_h' for this post: