I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-30-2017, 03:52 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: Repair your own defective K1200GT ABS pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper_h
Good catch - I would never have thought that the Ford Fiesta has the same pump motor for 50.

Sh*t, it even looks like the same pump unit, but of course will not function on a K12/13 !!!

A Ford unit will cost a LOT less than BMW from breakers yard

Your comment about, 'will not function' , I would agree for the control module part, but does this apply to the pump motor as well ? If it physically fits, it could work , because it has no signature or brain to tell the system module that it is from a Fiesta. What are your thoughts ?

Mike
Old 05-30-2017, 06:16 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Changing from the BMW to the Fiesta brush holder and brushes worked OK for me on my GS. Don't see how the Can Bus or ECU would ever know the difference.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Have you considered to change the complete motor from the Fiesta ? To me, even to clamping on the valve block does look the same , alternative you could use the rotor/brush/bearing and front plastic cover assembly.

My brushes are still sticking, I have removed the bearing, cleaned the brushes so that they run perfect, then fitted an new bearing and everything work good for a few miles , then it stucked again.

I tried yesterday again with brake cleaner, but without sucess.
If BMW and their supplier have resolved the issue, it could either by a material or coating change or toleranzes, however I have no clue how to select a good one.

Greetings
Mike

By the way , the bearing removal tool is a single slot hole in a 10mm plate, which can be spanned with a screw. Due to the force on the outer ring and the friction on the inner, it is recommended to replace the bearing, the forces applied to the balls are too high.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I did consider just using the complete Fiesta motor. However the amount of eccentricity is greater on the Fiesta motor than on the BMW motor. I have heard of people who have done this swap but as I don't know what long term affect this increase in eccentricity might have I decided just to change the brush holder and brushes. The Fiesta brushes seem to move much freer in their holders than the BMW, once both plates are off the motors its easy to compare this. I seem to remember the design of the brass holders was slightly different, I did take some pics but I cant find them now!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Well my ABS motor failed again after the second (home) repair. In my experience the comments in this thread to the effect that you will be wasting your time if you don't remove the bearing from the motor (to properly access the brushes) and either re-machine them or replace with the Ford Fiesta baseplate are correct... any less than this will likely result in the unit working for some period of time before failing again.

I have sent the unit of to Module Masters this time, I am tired of 'hope it lasts' repairs and by the time I finally give in and do it correctly (R/R the bearing, obtain a Ford Fiesta motor, etc.) it doesn't end up costing that much more to just send it to Module Masters (who will replace the brushes, professionally re-machine the motor to the pump, perform any other necessary repairs and test, etc.) and be done with it. I want to reinstall the ABS unit and do the PITA bleed procedure just one more time and never again.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Same with me, even replacing the bearing didn't help, it just lasts thankfully for the German TUV, a required technical check all 2 years. I bought a used K 1300s ABS and will attach the hydraulic part to my electronics, so that the system will not recognize the change and hope to solve the issue.

Mike from Cologne , Germany