I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Getting up to speed

What does the GS 911 Brake bleed test do?

After taking out my 2007 K1200GT ABS and rebuilding it, I have put it back, bled the brakes and still have some air which makes bubbly noises in the ABS when I actuate the front brake with the engine off.

I hear that the GS 911 has a "bleed test" mode. I hope to borrow a GS 911 but can anyone tell me what the "bleed test mode" actually does??

See procedure below (Thanks to Robert W)

Dennis

Most K2x and K4x models

Procedure, Front:
1. Disassemble the reservoir and remove most of the old brake fluid.
Tip: see Tip section below for a low-cost brake bleed bottle.
2. Push back the brake piston (use a suitable "reset device" to keep the piston back).
3. Bleed the hand brake cylinder (bleed nipple near reservoir).
4. Bleed the caliper conventionally until new brake fluid is visible at the bleed screw.
Manually test the brake pressure at the lever. If the pressure is low, continue bleeding.
5. Follow this up with a Brake Bleed Test in GS-911. Bleed the caliper again.
Repeat this procedure until no further air is expelled.
6. Bleed the hand brake cylinder AGAIN.
7. Reassemble the brake.
8. Ensure correct fluid level, making sure the reservoir is not over filled!
9. Clean the rim of the reservoir, cap and diaphragm, and carefully reassemble the components.

Procedure, Rear:
1. Disassemble the reservoir, remove diaphragm and draw out most of the old brake fluid.
Tip: see Tip section below for a low-cost brake bleed bottle.
2. Push back the brake piston (use a suitable "reset device" to keep the piston back).
3. Bleed the caliper conventionally until new brake fluid is visible at the bleed screw.
Manually test the brake pressure at the lever. If the pressure is low, continue bleeding.
4. Follow this up with a Brake Bleed Test in GS-911. Bleed the caliper again.
Repeat this procedure until no further air is expelled.
5. Reassemble the brake.
6. Ensure correct fluid level, making sure the reservoir is not over filled!
7. Clean the rim of the reservoir, cap and diaphragm, and carefully reassemble the components.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,191 Posts

Re: What does the GS 911 Brake bleed test do?

Basically it does nothing except actuate the abs unit and its valves. This lets air in the unit move so you can do the fluid bleed again and get the air out. You continue to do the GS911 test and then bleed the circuits until no bubbles. It takes considerable effort to put the pressures in the green. There was just a post by Hex Code about this a couple of days ago and I can not find it. In short it helps do a complete job and in your case may help get those last pesky bubbles out. Also, filling from the caliper is a trick if nothing else works. Forces bubbles up. There are little hand pumps made for the reverse flow bleed job. As with any GS-911 procedure go all the way to the end do not quit in the middle of the software instructions.

The part about pushing the pads back and wedging them....only done to reduce space behind the pad so you use less new brake fluid. Doing this with out cleaning the pistons and seals can lead to trouble. Just leave the calipers on the bike and go for it. Only cost is a little more brake fluid.

On non servo bikes a careful bleed job can be accomplished without a GS911. But I do think if you have the equipment and time the full meal deal will be better. The servo bikes are just more complicated but do able also.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 09-26-2012, 12:35 AM
2013 Member of the Year

[quote=BeechOn non servo bikes a careful bleed job can be accomplished without a GS911. But I do think if you have the equipment and time the full meal deal will be better. The servo bikes are just more complicated but do able also.[/quote]

Note that Dennis' GT is in fact a Teves Non-Servo bike. Must have been one of the first.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 05-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks to all of you,

I had to replace my brake hoses and did my best to eliminate air. However I wanted a GS 911 confirmation. After several attempts, the bar staying always in the red, and before bleeding again I went to this forum and then back to the bike :

- Standing (I am 75 kg) on the brake pedal and fearing as one said it might break, in the end the bar turned to green and I received the instruction to release the brake.
- I had to take the front brake handle with my two hands to obtain the same result

So it was clean !

I misunderstood the GS 911 program advice to press smoothly which I wrongly took for softly. I suppose it only means "do not pump!" but actualy you must press very strong !
I also regret that an index is not indicated on the bar frame to indicate up to what you must press to be in a position to get a "clean" result.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello,

2 questions which may concern the design of the brake system rather than the testing tool :

1/ Concerning the "why" we have to push so hard to get the green bar : is an air buble a sort of "cushion" which prevents to reach the desired highest brake oil pressure when the break handle or break pedal are pressed so strong ?

2/ The procedure indicates (correct me if I am wrong) that at first front pad (if one begins with the front brake) is placed against the disk and then the the handle is pressed strongly. But when pressed firmly at max both front and rear pads are blocked again the disks.
So, if one gets a clean front, but not a clean rear, since both front and rear wheel circuits have been implied, does it mean that the culprit is the rear command circuit and therefore the only one to be bled again ? or the fact that the rear pad was not against the disk at the beginning of the process is against such conclusion ?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Basically it does nothing except actuate the abs unit and its valves. This lets air in the unit move so you can do the fluid bleed again and get the air out. You continue to do the GS911 test and then bleed the circuits until no bubbles. It takes considerable effort to put the pressures in the green. There was just a post by Hex Code about this a couple of days ago and I can not find it. In short it helps do a complete job and in your case may help get those last pesky bubbles out. Also, filling from the caliper is a trick if nothing else works. Forces bubbles up. There are little hand pumps made for the reverse flow bleed job. As with any GS-911 procedure go all the way to the end do not quit in the middle of the software instructions.

The part about pushing the pads back and wedging them....only done to reduce space behind the pad so you use less new brake fluid. Doing this with out cleaning the pistons and seals can lead to trouble. Just leave the calipers on the bike and go for it. Only cost is a little more brake fluid.

On non servo bikes a careful bleed job can be accomplished without a GS911. But I do think if you have the equipment and time the full meal deal will be better. The servo bikes are just more complicated but do able also.
This was a great post, Beech. After I bled the rear DURING the bleed test, I finally expelled enough air to pass. Feels like I have been to the mountaintop! That was the 3rd attempt at getting that #+:&$!! right.

Best,
VFR750F, ZX6E, KZ1000LTD,
ZX10B, K1200S,
K1300S Last and Best
IBA #63855