I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Getting up to speed

Re: K1300s clutch problems

Thanks paul

I messaged them as on the end they have 12 16 (Tamburo Frizione Full Drum Clutch Bmw K 1300 S 12 16)

So not sure if that is indication it is for a 2012-2016 or not but will see.

Appreciate the assistance ta
Old 05-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Clutch is the same thru 09-16, may have had some minor upgrades, nothing that would make it incompatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien-g
So not sure if that is indication it is for a 2012-2016 or not but will see.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Getting up to speed

Thats awesome then ta

Just had a look on our Bike sales here and there is a shit load of the K1300s for sale maybe there is this issue across the board with them.

Just a little apprehensive with it now with those K's on it whats next
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Alien-g' for this post:
Old 05-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Getting up to speed

So had a look at the clutch drive out of my bike and man it was worn.

So I bit the bullet and bought one of theses guys

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamburo-F...gAAOSwjDZYi4RN

now 1 left

hope it's in better condition than mine, he originally had like 99 eur on it then after an offer of 65 he dropped it to 77 so got that guy.

see ow we go then
Old 05-09-2017, 05:28 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by panason1c
I also stripped my basket again today, due to increased vibration since fitting springs, and shortened the springs to fit more easily, I suspected that the springs might not be all the same weight and causing an imbalance, so I weighed them and found them all to be different weights with a 5 gram variation.......I ground the springs so that they all weighed exactly the same.
The basket is now reassembled and it will be dynamically balanced tomorrow.

Can someone tell if the basket runs at half engine speed?, (or thereabouts?) as I think it would be helpful to the balance guy if he new what max speed the basket runs at.

Since I bought my 1300 S new in 2015 it has been plagued with primary gear vibration.
I balanced, made top hat pins to take the slack out the springs (I have since found out that they are DESIGNED like that) then found the vibration had moved a few hundred revs but also came back just as badly when really heat soaked after a lot of high speed miles.
A friend gave me a used gear and I modified this in all sorts of ways, even machining off all the scissor gear teeth and welding the two together then balancing the solid set up.........
Still the same.By the way I did all this as BMW would not do it under warranty..... that's how some of them are.
At this point I decided to get shot and as the bike was on a PPI I had to put it back to standard so I got a brand new primary gear, replaced the slipper clutch ( another attempt to stop the vibes) with the standard BMW hub and plates............... guess what........ NO VIBRATION!!!!
I have come to the conclusion that either the gear is slightly oval after heat treatment or the sleeve and needle roller clearance/end float must hold the key to the vibes as that's the only thing I didn't change and the new replacement came with all of that.
The bit that is really pissing me off is that BMW MUST know exactly what causes this horrible vibration and have left the end user to either put up with it, get rid of the bike or do what everyone here is trying to do........ fix it themselves.
By the way I have done 9k miles since fitting the replacement and it's still great.
My friends identical bike has never been a problem like many others but there are too many out there that are awful so I think BMW stink for not addressing the problem under warranty and making sure bikes are not sold like it. Ben
Old 05-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by panason1c
Got the basket balanced today, it was 2.5 grams out of balance at 850 rpm....Prior to balancing, I adjusted the springs to weigh exactly the same as each other so I gues that helped things.... The guy said 2.5g was probably within manufacturers tolerance but he continued and balanced it to zero.
All back together and I am pleased with the result, there is still what I would call 'normal' vibration at high speeds, but not too intrusive compared to before......The most noticeable difference, attributable to the longer basket springs, is the 'tightness' of the driveline, no slack between throttle on and throttle off and improved gearchanging.
BTW, I have re-used the alloy clutch cover bolts twice now, I tighten them to 5nm and no leaks.
Work carried out.....
New basket centre bearing and inner bush
New Barnett clutch plate pack,
Damper springs replaced with longer, stronger springs,
Dynamic balance of basket
Oil pump chain adjusted (was too slack and rubbing against casing)

I think the new centre bearing you fitted is the key to the vibration!!!! I have tried numerous varitions to track down the vibes and after fitting a new gear AND centre bearings its now vibe free.
I did notice the new bearing and sleeve were closer tolerance than any of the others I have so could this be the answer we have all been looking for????
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengarzy
I think the new centre bearing you fitted is the key to the vibration!!!! I have tried numerous varitions to track down the vibes and after fitting a new gear AND centre bearings its now vibe free.
I did notice the new bearing and sleeve were closer tolerance than any of the others I have so could this be the answer we have all been looking for????

so Bengarzy, what did you have to replace in total?
83' Honda V65 Magna Black "THE TANK"

Past But Never Forgotten:
14' Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS Blue
05' BMW K1200s Black/Yellow "Bumble"
11' Kawasaki Z1000 Black "The Z"
08' Kawasaki ZX10-R Metallic Black "Batmobike!"
08' Buell 1125r Black "Sadie" (poor sexy Sadie )
92' Suzuki VX800 Blue "Little Blue"
85' Harley Sporty Ironhead "Old Blue"
78' KZ650 - project bike that was never completed.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels1<3love
so Bengarzy, what did you have to replace in total?

New primary gear assembly (includes the new bearing, sleeve and thrust washer) if it still vibrates the same, return the assembly as faulty.
I would also recommend fitting a new Barnett clutch pack, also leave out the belville washer set as this causes poor release of clutch bad 1st gear engagement.
Mine was perfect (at last!) on this set up.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 05-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengarzy
New primary gear assembly (includes the new bearing, sleeve and thrust washer) if it still vibrates the same, return the assembly as faulty.
I would also recommend fitting a new Barnett clutch pack, also leave out the belville washer set as this causes poor release of clutch bad 1st gear engagement.
Mine was perfect (at last!) on this set up.

The belleville washer your speaking of is the anti-judder spring that goes with the first friction plate, correct?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels1<3love
The belleville washer your speaking of is the anti-judder spring that goes with the first friction plate, correct?

Correct, they work in some Jap engines ok but generally they cause clutch drag, particularly in the K engine.
I remove them from all clutches, always improves them.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Getting up to speed

So i ended up getting a clutch from Italy for $180 AUD landed here in Aus
I'll put this into the Beemeir then send mine to get rebuilt if I can find somone

Old 05-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hopefully someone can provide some advice. I am changing the clutch on the 2007 K1200GT I recently purchased. I removed the basket to determine the condition of the springs. I was not not getting any rattling but just excessive slippage/shuddering when engaging the clutch to start from stop and on downshifts. I purchased the Barrett clutch pack. The problem I am having is in reinstalling the basket. I have tried to use the drill bit suggestion, but I am confused to the term "pretension the alternator gear". I use the drill bit in the hole to align the gear with the outer gear on the basket, I then slide the basket on. Then I rotate the basket counter clockwise to align the two scissor gears on the basket. But at that point I am stuck as the basket will not go in any further. The gears on the basket seem to be aligned with the drive gear, but not perfectly. I have fiddled with different positions of the alternator gear with no success. Am I missing something???

I have ordered the BMW alignment tool. Still not sure what is meant with the term pretension alternator gear???
Old 05-11-2017, 12:44 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

That little tool has a right angle tip. It is inserted in a hole on the gear face, you twist it and align the two gears (teeth) on the basket so it will slip in and mesh with the alternator drive. Mess with it on the bench to see how it works.
Welcome to the site. If you do a search on clutch in the K 12 zone, advanced search, you will find many articles with photos that may help. This question you ask is a foggy detail not discussed much but of huge importance. A factory DVD will help some too. And don't forget the oil pump drive on the back of the basket has to line up also.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Twisted Wrister

I had the clutch out a couple of years ago and if memory serves me right the back side of the basket has to align with the oil pump too.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'henkpenk' for this post:
Old 05-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Getting up to speed

The clutch basket is not always easy to get properly seated on the trans shaft. I bought the alignment tool from BMW and it didn't work as advertised. It would go in to the hole and as I turned the tool, it didn't align the gears enough. I ended up using the pointy-end of an old dart (the throwing kind) to re-align the alternator gear. The drill bit sounds like a better idea since it has less chance of the end breaking off. The gears don't take much force to align. Even with the gear aligned and the clutch basket tensioned (by turning counter-clockwise), it took a few tries to get it to the point at which it would slide on and make contact with the oil pump drive. At which point, advance the oil pump chain while trying repeatedly to seat the clutch basket. It will eventually line up and the clutch basket will be properly positioned.

Also, before you insert the clutch basket, make sure the oil pump chain is seated correctly on the bottom sprocket. Mine had come off the bottom sprocket during disassembly. Would have been a bad situation if I hadn't noticed.

Previous Bikes: 2003 R1100S, 2000 SV650
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jaredwilson' for this post:
Old 05-11-2017, 03:08 PM

These are the kind of details that are very helpful. Thank you.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Getting up to speed

Also, when reinstalling the hub/plate assembly, make sure the thrust adapter (pin that goes in the trans shaft) is perfectly centered. You'll likely need to loosen the six bolts on the bearing carrier in order to get the whole thing centered on the shaft. The bearing and thrust adapter should be able to spin freely and you should be able to move them in and out easily once everything is tightened up. If not, the bike might shudder upon the initial bite of the clutch. I was told putting the bike in gear and rotating the back tire backward while the bearing carrier was loose also helps to get everything to centered properly.

I've done this on mine after installing a new clutch pack and it reduced the shudder at the initial bite point on launch. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2017, 12:21 AM

Thanks, was looking at a parts list to be sure what you were talking about and noticed a price increase. basket and plate pack are now $2400 for both, and some more money for other bearings etc. This is really nasty.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 05-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Getting up to speed

Right. $2400 is nuts considering the clutch is perhaps the worst-engineered component on the bike. It really lets the bike down. I've been searching for an aftermarket alternative to the stock clutch basket, but haven't found one yet. If anyone knows of any options, please let me know. Would love to eliminate the vibrations and shudder caused by the clutch/primary gear assembly!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:54 PM
Shooting the gap

I did some research and found that all the billet baskets are out of production. I called every company that made one and only one gave a positive response. They wanted a minimum order of 20 units do a production run. Don't remember which one anymore. But if you want to try and run something down, look for k1200S/R billet clutch baskets. There is still a slipper clutch pack available that's a drop in replacement. Bengarzy has one that he was trying to sell.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:27 AM
Getting up to speed

So I got the 1300 back today it has been fully serviced and Barnett clutch plates, installed and packed into the drive unit i bought on Ebay from italy for $180, (which was like brand new really good deal better that $1300).

The Bike feels as tight as a Nun (excuse the pun!) cos they get none? mmmmm any who

Problem now it it is slipping more than it was before under load (rev's going up then it catches up). I called my "spanner monkey" up and he said no worries bring it it tomorrow, he is concerned that it could be the basket as well, freaking hope not there's another $1200 for a new one.

I have read re the oil making a difference he used Motorex 15-50 thoughts?

he has also asked me to bring in my original levers as i changed mine to SDR leavers and used the original push rod assembly for the mc, i read about this possibly making a difference, however the fact that it is slipping more now than before would think this not to be the issue.

any thoughts on the basket being the issues?

ta
Old 05-25-2017, 04:55 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
So I got the 1300 back today it has been fully serviced and Barnett clutch plates, installed and packed into the drive unit i bought on Ebay from italy for $180, (which was like brand new really good deal better that $1300).

The Bike feels as tight as a Nun (excuse the pun!) cos they get none? mmmmm any who

Problem now it it is slipping more than it was before under load (rev's going up then it catches up). I called my "spanner monkey" up and he said no worries bring it it tomorrow, he is concerned that it could be the basket as well, freaking hope not there's another $1200 for a new one.

he has also asked me to bring in my original levers as i changed mine to SDR leavers and used the original push rod assembly for the mc, i read about this possibly making a difference, however the fact that it is slipping more now than before would think this not to be the issue.

any thoughts on the basket being the issues?

ta

When you re-fitted the clutch release slave cylinder (the part that 4 bolts secure it to the engine cover) did you ensure that the FLAT face of the 'ball bearing was against the clutch push rod and NOT the round side of the ball bearing? (the ball rotates in its housing)

Fitting it with the round side against the push rod would result in pressure constantly being applied to it and could cause slippage of the clutch as you describe.

ps..... I doubt that the basket could cause the slippage
Old 05-25-2017, 05:07 AM
Getting up to speed

hay thanks "panason1c" for the reply to be honest i dont know as my "spanner money" did the work but i'll get him to check that tomorrow.

In that scenario thought wouldn't it slip all the time (nut just under load) with that pressure on it like you described?

Ta
Old 05-25-2017, 05:17 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
hay thanks "panason1c" for the reply to be honest i dont know as my "spanner money" did the work but i'll get him to check that tomorrow.

In that scenario thought wouldn't it slip all the time (nut just under load) with that pressure on it like you described?

Ta

No, the pressure would be slight and so it would only slip under heavy load..... the same effect as if you put slight pressure on the clutch lever whilst accelerating hard.

Its easy for you to check, just remove the four bolts and slide the slave cylinder off and look to see if the flat face of the bearing is facing the clutch..... if not, just rotate it with your finger and refit!
Old 05-25-2017, 05:39 AM
Getting up to speed

just a quick one if i'm to check this will i need to re bleed the clutch, I dont think i will but just in case
Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
just a quick one if i'm to check this will i need to re bleed the clutch, I dont think i will but just in case

No, no need to bleed.....dont disconnect the hose to the cylinder, just undo the 4 alloy bolts and slide the cylinder back to inspect the ball bearing...
5 or 10 minutes total job time....

Only nip the 4 bolts very lightly when refitting...5nm torque is plenty
Old 05-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Getting up to speed

sweet ta will give a shot
Old 05-25-2017, 07:07 AM
Getting up to speed

ok just pulled it off and it is the flat side, so not that little guy.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:39 AM
Site Contributor

Regarding the oil, I looked at the Motorex website, and they specifically mention 4 cylinder bikes with wet clutches. Based on that alone, I doubt it is the oil.

There were threads a long time ago (perhaps here, perhaps on k-bikes.com) where people complained about certain synthetic oils having such fantastic lubrication properties that those oils were causing clutch slippage. The Mobil 1 brand oil came up a lot as one that caused the slippage. The discussions were wide ranging, but the consensus was that some motor oils may have certain lubrication enhancing additives that can cause clutch slippage on motorcycles with wet clutches. Those motor oils were designed for cars where wet clutches are not an issue.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:47 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
BMW specs 5W-40 and 10W-50 for the K1300S.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 05-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Regarding the oil, I looked at the Motorex website, and they specifically mention 4 cylinder bikes with wet clutches. Based on that alone, I doubt it is the oil.

There were threads a long time ago (perhaps here, perhaps on k-bikes.com) where people complained about certain synthetic oils having such fantastic lubrication properties that those oils were causing clutch slippage. The Mobil 1 brand oil came up a lot as one that caused the slippage. The discussions were wide ranging, but the consensus was that some motor oils may have certain lubrication enhancing additives that can cause clutch slippage on motorcycles with wet clutches. Those motor oils were designed for cars where wet clutches are not an issue.
I use Mobil 1 "car" oil in my bikes with dry clutches. Not in the K1300S (so far, BMW oil or Castrol Power 1).

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Twisted Wrister

Son and I have used Mobil 1 5-30 in K12 and K13 after each was broken in. Over 100K miles total with no problems, including trips to the drag strip. The K12 did have a little shudder at the drag strip, but many K12's had that regardless of oil.

This sounds more like your basket is missing a piece, there were a few clutch designs and unless you have EXACTLY the same parts the stack height will be wrong.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 AM
Getting up to speed

the stack height should be the same as it is the barnetts BMW K1300s kit for it and my Monkey is the goods so mmmm.

I spoke to him this afternoon he recons it could of been the lever's it's self and the push rod adjustment as I did replace the OEM levers with SDR's for that bike.

He said he took it for a ride this afternoon did about 30 Klms on it and there was no slipping now.

I pick it up in the morning so we will see fingers X that was the issues being the cheapest option

Old 05-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Twisted Wrister

You're not the first one (and not the last) that got in trouble after changing the levers. (And perhaps adjusting the master piston pushrod that is better left alone.)
The compensation hole must be open when the lever is in its stationary position. This way when the oil in the clutch line heats up (it will because the routing of the clutch line is across the engine) it will expand so it has to be able to flow back in the master cilinder reservoir. If not, the clutch can start to slip under power.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'henkpenk' for this post:
Old 05-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Getting up to speed

So I picked up the Bike this morning took it for a good say 50 Klm ride and no slipping

It was the freaking lever all along OMG shit shit shit.

That being said the bike feels brand new, tight as.

just as well i didn't go for the new clutch drive OEM option. so lesson learnt lucky i got out of it reasonable cheap

replacement Clutch drive $160
New Barnet plates $225
1.5 Hr labour $150

not a bad result for a new clutch.

So tomorrow a nice quick ride 2-400Klm and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys for all your banter and suggestions appreciated.

Ta
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Alien-g' for this post:
DOA
Old 05-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Certified Hooligan

Alien G, I see Barnett has a regular set and another with CF on their clutch plates. Which one did you go with. Is one better than the other?
2011 DR650
Old 05-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Getting up to speed

I'll have to get back to you on that one as my spanner monkey ordered and installed them I'll find out and let you know.
ta
Old 06-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello everybody.
To begin with, I want to thank everyone, for all the explanations, useful links and the work done to find out the causes of the problem.
I had similar symptoms of noise and vibration in the motor in my K1200R (2008yr) I opened the clutch basket, to my surprise the discs and the pusher base were the latest modifications with oil channels and holes. But the springs in the basket itself rang like a tambourine and I decided to replace them with this.
Http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=771695#post771695
And also a video of the Hondakiller2

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTi3Mesa1w&t=5s

Set raymond springs 38mm long, some of the noise disappeared, the transmission began to turn very clearly, especially the first almost without knocking. But when the engine was braking or driving normally, there were horrible vibrations in their 4-6k rpm, which I had not noticed before, especially the vibration of the right footboard. After I cut all the springs to 3mm. The vibrations on these turns decreased and the trembling on the foot disappeared. But the gear shift again became terrible. I plan to shorten the springs to a drain length of 32mm. I also considered the basket and it seems to me that the 2 springs work on damping the cardan impacts, and the other two on the damping of the reverse stroke when braking the engine. Maybe if one pair of springs is thicker, and two more softer I can get rid of the shiver when braking the engine, and improve the shifting performance? If I am wrong correct me or maybe there are other solutions to these difficulties?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAnimator
Hello everybody.
To begin with, I want to thank everyone, for all the explanations, useful links and the work done to find out the causes of the problem.
I had similar symptoms of noise and vibration in the motor in my K1200R (2008yr) I opened the clutch basket, to my surprise the discs and the pusher base were the latest modifications with oil channels and holes. But the springs in the basket itself rang like a tambourine and I decided to replace them with this.
Http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=771695#post771695
And also a video of the Hondakiller2

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTi3Mesa1w&t=5s

Set raymond springs 38mm long, some of the noise disappeared, the transmission began to turn very clearly, especially the first almost without knocking. But when the engine was braking or driving normally, there were horrible vibrations in their 4-6k rpm, which I had not noticed before, especially the vibration of the right footboard. After I cut all the springs to 3mm. The vibrations on these turns decreased and the trembling on the foot disappeared. But the gear shift again became terrible. I plan to shorten the springs to a drain length of 32mm. I also considered the basket and it seems to me that the 2 springs work on damping the cardan impacts, and the other two on the damping of the reverse stroke when braking the engine. Maybe if one pair of springs is thicker, and two more softer I can get rid of the shiver when braking the engine, and improve the shifting performance? If I am wrong correct me or maybe there are other solutions to these difficulties?

I would not use those die springs. They are not designed for this type of use. They could (and have) shattered in these clutch baskets before. Not to mention, because those springs are so much heavier than the stock pieces, you are essentially locking up the basket...you might as well put a steel spacer in place of those. Yes, you will get excessive vibrations from this set up, because the springs are doing nothing to dampen the engine output. I would strongly advise you to take those out and replace them with a set from icecolder (if he still has some). He had a spring manf. make an exact copy of the OEM springs, only longer to fit the slots. Same material, wire diameter, ect. They didn't fit 100% perfect in my case, so i ground them down a tiny more to fit, but at least I know they wont shatter, and that the spring rates are comparable to the stock springs. Just my 0.02

Old 06-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2wheels1<3love Thanks for the answer, I have a springs production company in my city, try to order required size.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Getting up to speed

2wheels1<3love, thanks for recomendations, unfortunately im not making any more of them.

There is some small nasty things with thous springs and nearly every kit should be custom made to fit.

Some tips to thous who are going to manufacture them:

2 springs work on engine braking and 2 springs work on accelerating. If to make all springs equal and 38 mm length, you will notice vibration.

There is where to aim- for the engine braking springs make 2 springs which are different length. One spring should be as close 38 mm as possible, but free to rotate in a slot, the second spring should be more shorter than the first one- make it 35-36 mm. This is because on small load it will use one spring compressed and another just hold in place- situation where only one spring is working. On heavy load you will have both springs working. And in this situation you will have softer transfer from low load to heavy load. You will notice much lower vibrations.

For the springs which works for acceleration do the same. One spring fits nice but free to rotate in slot, another one shorter- 35-36mm.

Examine the basket once it is opened- you will notice easy where to place which one.

This way it more or less works ok for all baskets.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi guys. I just recently purchased a 2008 K1200GT with 13,700 miles on it. It has most of the clutch problems noted in this thread. I plan on repairing the clutch. Does anyone have any advice on sourcing the modified friction plate and anti-judder spring. I've messaged John (fourhundred4) but, have yet to hear back.

Also, to those that have done the basket work, where did you find the tapered rivets?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hi All. Been away on a few trips the last month or so. Have to pack them in when retired. Plenty to catch up on here now I'm back. I will get round to replying to the PM's and emails over the next week.

First thing. Did someone ask me to order up a full set of quality Japanese plates? Have them here but can't trace through emails who they were for. Have I ordered a set too many.

I'm still inundated with requests to supply all sorts of parts individually for people to fix their own clutch baskets and clutch hubs. I'm coming round to the idea it might be prudent to offer a pair of full kits. Sending out penny numbers of individual parts is not an efficient use of my time and looking at the numbers could prove impossible. I will continue modifying complete clutch baskets to get rid of the clatter at idle from those loose load springs. And reconditioning hubs by re-engineering the faces, improving oil routes and fitting all new sets of quality new plates where required. Perhaps a full kit for each rebuild could help those with the tools and background to help themselves. Two questions are how full to make the kits - perhaps including the one off use tools and how to help those who attempt, get part way but for one reason or another don't get the required result. We can write and exchange pictures for ever but it might not convey every little detail I check through and can't be there in person to look.

Quick comments on a few things I noticed skim reading over the posts here.

All five load springs in the baskets are in positions to work the same in both the drive (not necessarily just accelerating) and over-run (engine braking and down changing) directions. A drop clutch start - not recommended but had to be built in just in case, and a two gears at once down change or down by mistake instead of up can make full use of all five springs. The sixth spring in this design of basket does not carry drive load - only there to keep the scissor gear action tight so there's no backlash noise from the primary drive gears at idle.

The three rivets holding the basket parts "sandwiched" together are not tapered. The three holes/bores through the casting are tapered though. Have to be tapered so the casting comes out of its dies (moulds) as the metal sets and shrinks. The rivets take on this same taper as the setting (hammering on the ends) of the rivets makes them swell to fill the holes in the casting and cover plate. Its what all rivets do to make themselves tight as can be. Yet a cheap quick solution if you have the expensive tooling for a mass production assembly line.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'fourhundred4' for this post:
Old 06-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Site Contributor

I don't doubt your expertise on rebuilding clutches,
but after having hammered thousands and thousands of rivets (steel, aluminium, titanium, tapered or not) i can tell you that a steel rivet with such a long shank length will not take up the shape of a tapper hole.....

And, when you look closely at a drilled out rivet from a basket you can see that
the head (inside of the basket) is premanufactured. Only the butt on the backplate is hammered/pressed
Old 06-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Yes all the heads of the rivets I drill out of five different manufacturers baskets have premanufactured heads at one end. Shanks all made of black rolled wire which will be parallel when made and the heads look to be hot forged on. All rivet shanks are black rather than bright. Some manufacturers its the head end and others its the peened end that is the thicker end of the shank. Only thicker by between 0.05 mm to 0.5 mm depending on the taper in the casting but they wouldn't fit through the casting if the taper was there before peening. The riveting machines they use are orbital. They compress the entire rivet end to end and roll round (orbiting) the end as its peened. Rivet shank shrinks in length and at the same time swells into any available space there is. Not fussy which end.

Secret to dismantling the various manufacturers baskets is knowing which way the rivets and their holes taper. Try to drive them out the wrong way and the castings crack. Sometimes it the head and others the peened end to drive from.

If using tapered rivets. How are you making them?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:42 AM
Getting up to speed

Bringing this thread back to life as i am having problems with my clutch as well at 30k miles. My symptoms are cant find neutral and lever disengages at handlebars.

My questions are as follows
1) why or how would i burn up the clutch?
2) I used Castrol Power 1 10w40 last change, as they dont make the RS version here in the USA anymore. Would that make an effect?
3) Would using aftermarket clutch plates benifit or hinder performance?
4) Will a man mechanically average be able to make repairs in his garage?

PS. Please respond as if you are talking with your wife, i am not fluent in engine jargon.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:08 AM
Twisted Wrister

[quote= My symptoms are cant find neutral and lever disengages at handlebars.

[/QUOTE]

I'm no techie, and my (new to me) K13MS has just had new plates and bearing on warranty, but your symptoms suggest that you could simply be losing hydraulic pressure through a leak - perhaps at the slave cylinder, or maybe the master cylinder seals have gone south?

You have too much 'bite' rather that too much 'slip', which is the normal way of things . .
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 07-20-2017, 02:15 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Mcgavin
Bringing this thread back to life as i am having problems with my clutch as well at 30k miles. My symptoms are cant find neutral and lever disengages at handlebars.

My questions are as follows
1) why or how would i burn up the clutch?
2) I used Castrol Power 1 10w40 last change, as they dont make the RS version here in the USA anymore. Would that make an effect?
3) Would using aftermarket clutch plates benifit or hinder performance?
4) Will a man mechanically average be able to make repairs in his garage?

PS. Please respond as if you are talking with your wife, i am not fluent in engine jargon.

1) A clutch change at 30k miles is normal. But burned clutch simptoms are clutch slippage under load. You should check the slave cylinder and clutch basket as well.

2)Here in Europe Castrol is quite bad quality, we try to avoid it, i would recommend Motul, ELF, Mobil 1, Valvoline. And it must meet the required standarts - API and JASO MA/MA2.
But anyway - the oil would not make the clutch go bad.

3)Performance will be the same, maybe the clutch life of original plates would be longer.

4)Yes, but special tools are needed.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I have 84K miles on my 2010 K1300s. Current symptoms are clutch lever needs to be pulled all the way to the grip to release the clutch and bike is difficult to get into neutral. The clutch is not slipping. I am wondering do I change the clutch pac, or the clutch pac and basket, or something else. Other than changing fluid the clutch has never been serviced. Does anyone do this work besides a dealer in Southern California?

Howard
Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmeiseles
I have 84K miles on my 2010 K1300s. Current symptoms are clutch lever needs to be pulled all the way to the grip to release the clutch and bike is difficult to get into neutral. The clutch is not slipping. I am wondering do I change the clutch pac, or the clutch pac and basket, or something else. Other than changing fluid the clutch has never been serviced. Does anyone do this work besides a dealer in Southern California?

Howard

If there is no rattle noise from the clutch springs then the basket should be fine.
The K1300S model basket is ok, comparing to the early model K1200S.
Just change the clutch pack and it should be fine again. The steel plates need to be changed also, not just the friction plates.
It is an easy job and any motorcycle service should be able to do it.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Twisted Wrister

We assume you tried adjusting the lever to engage sooner. And made sure your clutch actuator is not loose. Easy fixes first!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

change the clutch pack. That's it.
They're worn out, and soon they'll start slipping.
It's an easy job if you want to do it yourself, but a shop should be able to do it fairly quickly.
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thank you for your assessment. I made the decision to change the clutch pack with a package made by Barrett. Now to do the job, which does not look complicated, is to acquire the two BMW tools (the alignment pin, and the driver lock). Does anyone have either of these used tools they would care to sell? If you do please let me know your price via a PM.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Getting up to speed

I had the same symptoms at about 60k KM. Not slipping, but rather hard engage neutral, constantly pulling,etc. Seemed that if I had an inch more of clutch travel all would be well. My issue only really presented itself on hotter days, which we rarely get here in Victoria. Down at SGR in Cali however, the problem would rear its ugly head.

I finally brought it to the dealer at 80k KM, who diagnosed it as worn plates. Sooo... after changing the plates (and the basket), he came back and said I also needed a new slave cylinder. If I recall, he described it that a piston had created a divot, reducing my clutch travel.

While my clutch pack and basket *may* have been contributors, I believe the the slave cylinder was the main culprit. As the cheapest, and easiest piece of this whole puzzle, I suggest starting there.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Epi' for this post:
Old 09-19-2017, 01:24 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks for your note. I replaced the slave cylinder first, as it looked to be easier and much less expensive. It appears that the resultant issue is I must not have bleed the circult as the clutch does not disengage. This weekend I will work on bleeding the circuit again to determine if I can fix it.

If anyone has a bleeding tip, my ears are open.

Howard
Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 AM

The clutch pipe is very thin and collects bubbles. It is very hard to bleed to no air. The best way to fill it is from the bottom not the top lever reservoir. But, now that there is fluid in it, Tie the clutch lever back to the grip and let it set over night, bars turned to the right. Open the reservoir lid and watch for bubbles as you carefully work the lever and gently tap the side of the reservoir body with something like a screwdriver handle. You will see bubbles work their way out as you do this process. It may take a couple of nights. The lever will eventually firm up and work correctly. You did use mineral oil and not brake fluid?
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 09-19-2017, 02:05 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks for your advice. I will give your method a try. I filled the system with mineral oil.

Howard
Old 11-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Getting up to speed

Clutch replacement tools for sale: If anyone is contemplating replacing their clutch I have the two necessary tools available: the little tensioning tool, and a (non-BMW) Clutch Holding Tool.
http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/k-s...tool-194-p.asp
Make me an offer and I will post from London UK by your choice of carriage.
PM me if interested.
Peter
2009 K1300S | BMW sapphire black metallic custom spray | Remus Hexacone titanium exhaust | Quickshifter | ESA | RDC | MRA smoke grey touring screen | Hornig refurbished leather seat | Nautilus air horn | LED emblem side blinkers | LED front & rear indicators | HID main beam | Clear indicator lenses | Polished stainless steel bar ends | Alloy instrument surround trim | BMW sport cases | Givi 47NT Tech top case | R&G crash bungs | Side stand foot enlarger | Skidmarx GRP Black gloss hugger
Old 11-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Peter, PM sent
Old 03-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Getting up to speed

paging fourhundred4 / John Sykes

John:

I'd like to revive this very useful thread as I have all manner of difficulty finding neutral at a stop on my 2010 K1300GT, and shifting is clunky at best. Makes me long for my '85 K100RS which had very smooth clutch action from the single plate dry clutch therein.

On/about 6/2017 you mused about supplying kits of parts for clutch rebuilds. Have you made any decision to do so, if if so what parts are in which kit?

Secondarily, a post above suggested that a needle bearing change made all the difference (that particular bike) needed. IIRC one of your videos may have noted the bearing and race were not a close fit and stated a better bearing with more rollers would be useful. Comment?

For those of us with up-to-date BMW parts, is it your vision that these provide sufficient oil flow to the clutch plates?

I'll PM if no response in several days...