I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Retirement is Fleeting

Quick shifter?

Out for a nice long ride yesterday due to (finally) glorious weather in the Northeast. Along the way got a little frisky and used the quick shifter perhaps more than once!
So I began to wonder......
Does using the quick shifter extend the life of the clutch??
Shorten or adversely affect the transmission, or any other part of the bike?
Clearly the clutchlessshifts are not all that smooth.
Anyway just wondering?

Last edited by brucev : 04-15-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Re: qiuck shifter?

Hi Mitchell

First, days ago we discussed this accesoty on this thread:
"Ok, don't laugh, but... " http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=52965
Now, my humble opinión.

Quote:
Does using the quick shifter extend the life of the clutch??
Basically yes, because the plates and srpings almost not work, IMO is not difference, except at very long term or abusive use of the clutch lever.

Quote:
Shorten or adversely affect the transmission, or any other part of the bike?
No, if the change is smooth. Logically this require experience, if you change out of synchronism, surely there will be an extra effort in mechanisms.

Quote:
QS clutchless shifts are smooth, with great difference if you compare a bike without qs, you need quickly cut the throttle/change/throttle up, instead QS that you don't touch the throttle, don't touch the clutch lever, change/ the system cuts the injection few miliseconds to release the pressure between teeth in the gears and returns at the earlier conditions

Hope this helps you...
Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notthatold
Anyway just wondering?

If your bike has the quick shifter and the shifts are not smooth, you are doing something wrong. Going from 1 to 2nd was a problem in the beginning, but I got the hang of it. I actually prefer to use the clutch in the low gears unless I am hard on the throttle. 3rd and up was always smooth.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Banned Locations: ShoutBox, Private Messaging....so far

Life is good!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,198 Posts

My thoughts on the quick shifter process is that it is a specific time the ignition is cut. The shift from first to second takes a longer time interval that the other gears and thus leads to some issues there. Probably wrong but just thinking why many have trouble there. Beyond that, once you figure out that a load needs to be on the system the thing is magic. I love passing a line of cars and shift mid stream with that F1 pop from the Rumus Hex.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Twisted Wrister

My 2015 K1300s shifting is EXTREMELY smooth with the quick shift. Between all gears. You just need to learn it a bit, and do it under some degree of acceleration. It's as smooth as an automatic transmission in a car - just magical - when done right.

Cruising slowly at a constant speed? Don't use QS.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
My thoughts on the quick shifter process is that it is a specific time the ignition is cut.
For the first time in the history of large-scale motorcycle production by
BMW and, indeed, for the first time in series production worldwide, the rider
of the K 1300 S is able to shift up with the help of the optional HP Gearshift
Assistant without operating the clutch and, accordingly, without the slightest
interruption of traction and pulling force. To perform this operation the ignition
and fuel supply are interrupted for fractions of a second in the shift process.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Always Am!

The "Gear Shift Assistant" or Quick Shift (QS) on the K1300 series is for upshifts only, not downshifts.

With the advent of "Gear Shift Assistant Pro" in other models, that allow both up and down shifts without the clutch, figured to clarify for others coming across this thread in the future.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

On both my K1300S's the quick shifter has worked way better than I can shift. As others have stated almost F1 like performance - the transition is extremely smooth.

I also agree 1st to 2nd seems to work best when you are accelerating pretty hard - most times I don't use it from 1st to 2nd.

Riders do need to get use to using it - even unconsciously rolling off the throttle a little makes a big difference in how smooth the shift is - doing this you lose half the effect of the quick shift.

As far as longevity goes - the wear and tear on the clutch and tranny are way less using the QS.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)

Last edited by brucev : 04-14-2015 at 05:51 PM.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 04-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Anchor Man

Used the Shift Assist Pro a bunch yesterday and I wondered the same thing about wear & tear.

Not all shifts were smooth, but once I got the hang of it - its awesome!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Kevin C' for this post:
Old 04-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Dive Buddy in Training

Send a message via Yahoo to sbk12rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C
Used the Shift Assist Pro a bunch yesterday and I wondered the same thing about wear & tear.

Not all shifts were smooth, but once I got the hang of it - its awesome!

Oh ok ...... I'm getting one !

Next ?
Sherwood SR2
Sherwood Avid CQR3
2014 R1200 GS .... Gone
2010 R1200 GS .... Gone
2006 Honda VFR .... Gone
2001 K1200 RS .... I miss her so

Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Twisted Wrister

This is one of those (seemingly-simple?) technical improvements that I think will soon become standard and expected on bikes. It's just too good, and it seems like it consists of little more than a sensor connected into an engine management system coupled with a bit of software.

Like a rear view mirror, disk brakes, rev limiters, etc. Once you have one, you really like it.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:16 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,541 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazcraig
This is one of those (seemingly-simple?) technical improvements that I think will soon become standard and expected on bikes. It's just too good, and it seems like it consists of little more than a sensor connected into an engine management system coupled with a bit of software.

I believe that Ducati now have it engineered for downshifts as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
BMW R90S
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
I believe that Ducati now have it engineered for downshifts as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Is correct, DQS

Old 04-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Shooting the gap

Clutch less downshifts are achievable and if you practice at getting the timing right they are smoother than using the clutch. Just think the opposite way to shifting up....... with a little throttle blip

I learnt to overcome the 1st to 2nd hesitation with the quick shifter by short shifting well before I would normally select 2nd gear and at much less revs.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Twisted Wrister

Then we will get a twin clutch so the throttle does not need to be cut for upshifts or blipped for downshifts like the car guys. Nothing new here, move along, move along.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Getting up to speed

If you're a racer the quick shifter is important.. If not.. you can use the clutch. that's a big part of what its there for.
Personally, I don't bother with the clutchless shift thing, because I can do it smoothly up and down with the clutch, and I'm not in that big of a hurry on the street. If I was drag racing I would shift with no clutch.
As to the original question, I expect the clutch life expectancy would not be affected one way or the other by your shift habits mainly because most clutch wear is during start off or slow running situations. BMW clutches can go more than 200K unless they are being abused.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'duckster' for this post:
Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: quick shifter?

I use the quick shifter a bit of the time. Around here, you better be able to accellerate quickly getting on to a highway or pulling away from a stop light, or else you have a chance of having some cager ram you up the rear. For me, it is very convenient when getting onto a highway while you are concentrating on the traffic coming up behind you in the travel lanes. I also use it a good bit in the summer when pulling away from a traffic light. On long lights, I like to raise my face shield and get some air. The quick shifter lets me shift from first to second while I am lowering my face shield with my left hand.

One other time I like it is on the wet road. I find that the re-engagment is very smooth and there is virtually no mismatching of speed and rpm.

of course, YMMV

k_enn
Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Twisted Wrister

Noone has mentioned the quick shifter lets you wave to other motorcyclists while shifting.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post:
Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Noone has mentioned the quick shifter lets you wave to other motorcyclists while shifting.

And better than this, you can upshift in the middle of the corner without lose power
Old 08-21-2015, 04:03 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

And isn't that a sweet sensation,eh!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Do that all the time!!
In the middle of a left hand up hill sweeper, 2 crusiers comming the other way, white knuckled on the grips, looked twords me and i gave a little wave and shifted while left hand was off the bars. Saw one guys puzzled look as he nodded back at me caus he DEFINETLY wasn't letting go of the bars to wave back !!

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too tired to fight he'll just shoot you.
I'm the first guy you see when you come to after saying "Hold my beer and watch this !"
Old 09-27-2017, 03:15 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: Quick shifter?

I asked my BMW service manager whether using the quick shift on my 1200GS was detrimental to the transmission. He advised it was OK, why would BMW fit it if it was going to be detrimental and likely result in a warranty issue.
He also said that not using the clutch negated the oil getting as contaminated with abrasive clutch plate fibers.

On my bike, for up shifts, 1st to 2nd is advisable to use the clutch but thereafter go for it. I find that the more load on the gear train under hard acceleration, the smoother it is.

I also find that slightly thicker oil (higher cSt value in the recommended oil weight) is smoother & quieter, maybe due to more cushioning.

Quick shifting up thru the gears when going for it is awesome and downshifting into and more so mid corner or exiting a corner if you realise you are in a gear too high is instantaneous and does not unsettle the bike or the line you are taking.

A DCT would have a slightly better mechanical feel though imo but heavier & more complex (and wearing out 2 clutch sets ).