I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage
Re: What Happened to BMW Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerG
I repaired my GT's brake pad sensor wire and ABS module. No more red lights on the dash. But now the clutch started shuddering on take off in first gear. Have you experienced this on your bike?.

BikerG,
The shudder could be due to:
1- Your clutch basket is scored by the laminar packs. In other words, where the clutch plates rest on the clutch basket, and being the masked made of Aluminum, and the plates of steel; the steel will score the aluminum, and the plates do not quite disengage and hence the shudder.
2- Also, possibly your clutch is getting almost worn out. When that happens, the clutch lever has to travel more (you probably noticed how far you have to reach to have effect). So, the clutch doesn't really pull them apart, with a similar behavior as above.

--> Clutch change and/or basket change.

The basket, if you can't get a recall, you can fix by:
1- Replacing the basket with a newer one.
2- Getting a file and smooth the grooves on the clutch basket.

Since you're selling, I don't know if you want to go through that...

Good luck!
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I was on the road 13 days. The plan was for 30, to include the BMWMOA Rally, but the trip got aborted when my riding partner's mother-in-law passed away. He had to ship his LT home from Las Vegas and get on a plane back to Ft Lauderdale. I turned around and rode 1,975 miles home in 2 1/2 days. Going to turn around and ride back to Sturgis next week.

But I digress... Yes, I neglected to mention the broken wire in the front brake sensor. I had the occasional false positive red warning light indicator as well. When the brake pad's were replaced, I re-routed the connecting line to minimize the bend that causes the wire to break. No longer an issue.

I also had/have the clutch chatter. Have had it 30,000 miles. It's been an annoyance, but never an issue with performance. There are strings with comments about causes and solutions. Ultimately, I'll replace the clutch basket, but even fully loaded down, I can finesse it to minimize the chatter, so I'm hopeful the clutch will give me several more thousand miles.

Sorry for your disappointment with your GT right out of the gate. I've lived with mine long enough, that perhaps I'm too tolerant. But based on the enjoyment I've gotten from my GT, I'd do it again.

Happy trails...
Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Getting up to speed

I did make to MOA in Billings and then to Denver. 3600 miles including the Alaska and Cassiar highways and they are not known as easy roads. No problems during the trip. 45,000 on the clock and I hope to ride it another 45k miles. I still think the K1200/1300 are great bikes if you are willing to deal with the known problems. If not pick another brand.
We're flying home in a couple days and then back to Denver in the fall to ride to Barber for the Vintage Festival. If you are at Barber and see my Alaskan plated bike, give me a shout.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Getting up to speed

I've been enjoying the hell out of my K1200GT since the clutch replacement and am getting ready for a jaunt to WY -- still haven't decided if I'm going to take the GT or the GSA -- the opportunity to ride the Pony Express Trail is tempting....

The other day, I was taking my cover off the GT when a contract visitor from India asked me if he could pose by my bike for a pic -- He commented that he 'wanted to make the guys in India' envious.... Apparently, they don't see anything as sophisticated as a GT in that area...

I've never regretted the purchase of this bike -- the GSA has it's own personality and it's a really fun bike; however, there's nothing like the roll on power and smooth mileage attack of the GT -- IMHO...
Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmoose
We're flying home in a couple days and then back to Denver in the fall to ride to Barber for the Vintage Festival. If you are at Barber and see my Alaskan plated bike, give me a shout.

Ooooh man - that looks like a GREAT place to loop through! THANKS!
Old 08-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Entering the on-ramp

It all goes back to the (Golden Rule ) He who has the gold makes the rules !!!
I have same year and model bike. BMW Sucks royal ass on standing behind there mistakes.
They have made many great bikes over the years, They dropped the ball on this one but can't find the BALLS to admit it.
Just do like I do, tell everyone you see / know /ever heard of / to stay the F--- away from them!!!
Unless you have some body you hate and can sell mine to them? 2007 less than 6,000 miles. Yes 6,000 Hard to ride when they don't run!!!!
Old 08-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Is the waterfall in your in your pic from Franklin N.C.?
Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
It all goes back to the (Golden Rule ) He who has the gold makes the rules !!!
I have same year and model bike. BMW Sucks royal ass on standing behind there mistakes.
They have made many great bikes over the years, They dropped the ball on this one but can't find the BALLS to admit it.
Just do like I do, tell everyone you see / know /ever heard of / to stay the F--- away from them!!

Folks are staying away from my BMW.

A couple weeks ago, I placed an ad in three different classifieds. My asking price is $7995. I received one call from a guy who offered me $4000.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Is the waterfall in your in your pic from Franklin N.C.?

Yep - on US64 headed to Highlands.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Getting up to speed

Well, I leave this Saturday for Canada, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland on the GT... It will be the bikes do or die trip. It is ready to go with no known issues..I'll accept flat tires and burned out light bulbs...anything more than that and I'll decide between a c14 or back to the a 1150gsa
Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Well, I leave this Saturday for Canada, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland on the GT... It will be the bikes do or die trip. It is ready to go with no known issues..I'll accept flat tires and burned out light bulbs...anything more than that and I'll decide between a c14 or back to the a 1150gsa

Let us know how it turns out.

I'm afraid to ride my '07 K12GT beyond my zip code.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 PM

I solved all of the problems with my '07 K1200GT. I sold the bike and bought a Harley last week.

I'm selling a nice BMW K1200GT tank bag. Check the Classifieds if you're interested.

http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...tank-bag&cat=6
Old 08-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I solved all of the problems with my '07 K1200GT. I sold the bike and bought a Harley last week.

http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...tank-bag&cat=6

Good luck with the new bike -- what's the Harley? Is it new -- or new to you?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I've just got shot of my K12GT too...
I sold it ridiculously cheap but have not regretted it one bit.
If you want to know what the used market is like for post 2006 K series in the UK just ask any non BMW dealer about a trade in ?
That's when you will really know you have a turd of a machine...
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Let us know how it turns out.

I'm afraid to ride my '07 K12GT beyond my zip code.

Well, I'm back from my 5000 mile jaunt up to Canada, NS, NF....The bike never missed a beat and it was loaded down. This was also with the occasional tank of regular unleaded gas because it was the only grade available.. I changed my front tire before leaving. I thought my rear tire would be fine....but .....

It looked a lot better than that before limping it into Moncton. Stayed the night and got up early to get to the dealer BMW/DUC/etc etc. I took the rear off in their parking lot before they even opened. They had the new tire mounted and balanced quickly and I had it back on the bike even quicker.

So, I have nothing negative to report. The bike ran flawless. In Newfoundland it was pretty much constantly raining. Sometimes heavy sometimes light but it never caused any problems.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Well, I'm back from my 5000 mile jaunt up to Canada, NS, NF....The bike never missed a beat and it was loaded down. This was also with the occasional tank of regular unleaded gas because it was the only grade available.. I changed my front tire before leaving. I thought my rear tire would be fine....but .....

It looked a lot better than that before limping it into Moncton. Stayed the night and got up early to get to the dealer BMW/DUC/etc etc. I took the rear off in their parking lot before they even opened. They had the new tire mounted and balanced quickly and I had it back on the bike even quicker.

So, I have nothing negative to report. The bike ran flawless. In Newfoundland it was pretty much constantly raining. Sometimes heavy sometimes light but it never caused any problems.

Glad to hear the trip went well. I've used regular quite a few times on the Alaska Highway and can't really tell any difference. Big plus is Yukon, some parts of Northern BC and all of Alaska don't have ethanol.
Newfoundland is a beautiful place, when its not raining. I've only seen it in February and the snowmobiling is fantastic. (when it wasn't raining) Did you go to Gros Morne?
We start our next long ride in late-Sep doing a loop from Denver to the Barber Vintage Festival, parts of NC, Florida and then west across the gulf states and north back Denver where we'll trailer the bikes to go home to Fairbanks in Nov. If you've never been to Barber it is well worth the time even if you don't attend the Vintage Festival.

Glad you were able to find a tire!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Getting up to speed

Congrats on the safe ride and return!!

My bike has been running great and I'm getting ready to make some west coast trips this fall... Really good to hear of your success.

-Stephen
Old 08-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmoose
Glad to hear the trip went well. I've used regular quite a few times on the Alaska Highway and can't really tell any difference. Big plus is Yukon, some parts of Northern BC and all of Alaska don't have ethanol.
Newfoundland is a beautiful place, when its not raining. I've only seen it in February and the snowmobiling is fantastic. (when it wasn't raining) Did you go to Gros Morne?
We start our next long ride in late-Sep doing a loop from Denver to the Barber Vintage Festival, parts of NC, Florida and then west across the gulf states and north back Denver where we'll trailer the bikes to go home to Fairbanks in Nov. If you've never been to Barber it is well worth the time even if you don't attend the Vintage Festival.

Glad you were able to find a tire!
Yes, Gros Morne, L'Anse Aux Meadows (still saw a few icebergs floating by), St John's where we met up with a local who gave us the best tour as well as fed us some seal flipper pie.. We did the whole Island clockwise.
Yes, I recently visited the Barber complex last month. Had to go to Auburn for a funeral so I made a little side trip. They were running a class or a track day out back so I also got to see riders of all levels buzzing around. It wasn't a festival but still quite nice.