I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Getting up to speed

Quickshifter not working

I've read every thread I could find on here related to the 'quickshifter' or Gear Shift Assistant but still come up with no fix.

My bike is an '09 market launch bike that I bought earlier this spring. It had 15,800 miles on it when I purchased it, currently showing 19,000 miles. Being a 2009 it's out of warranty and I'm trying to rectify the issue without getting the dealer involved, but they will be my last resort.

About 500 miles after I got the bike home, the quickshifter started becoming intermittent. It would work at first and then 30 minutes or so into a trip it wouldn't work regardless of how much pressure was put on the shift lever. I'd pull over, shut the bike down, turn the key on, wait for system check, restart the bike, and all was well again. That lasted for the next 1000 miles or so.

Now the quickshifter function doesn't work at all. I invested in a GS-911, scanned the bike and don't have any codes showing. I unplugged the quickshifter at the harness, still no code. I reset all the adaptations, took the bike for a spin to re learn the adaptive values, still no codes showing and no quickshifter function. So far I've dealt with shifting the old fashioned way, but I'd love to get it working again for the fun factor. How often do these sensor/switches go bad?
Old 08-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,415 Posts

Re: Quickshifter not working

Hi Geoff, welcome

Quote:
'quickshifter'
Try with "quick shift" , there are a lot of information...

About your problem, I just can say, is not usually an intermittent fail, perhaps is the inner switch in the QS rod. another possibility is the thin bar of the rod is bended, just released one end (is easy) and compress the QS, must me slide smoothly
Old 08-19-2015, 05:04 AM
K-bike addict...part time mod
Thanked 1,454 Times in 667 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!

Believe it or not an intermittent operation of the gear assistant can also be associated with an old battery. Is your battery the original one?

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

Old 08-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Getting up to speed

I pulled the shifter rod off the bike this morning and took a closer look at it. It's straight as an arrow. It does compress, but it is very stiff. While compressing the shift rod is there supposed to be any sort of click?

As for the battery, I do believe it's the original BMW battery. The bike cranks and fires up instantly hot or cold.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH13S
I pulled the shifter rod off the bike this morning and took a closer look at it. It's straight as an arrow. It does compress, but it is very stiff. While compressing the shift rod is there supposed to be any sort of click?

If you can, buy an cheap multimeter of borrow one, all multimeter even the cheapest has the possibility to measure continuity, when you touch both probes you can hear a beep. Now you can try to measure the continuity on the switch cables on the connector, If all is Ok, when you compress the rod (upshift) you can hear a sound (normal open) or if you hear the sound and when you push the rod the sound goes off (normal close) then the switch works fine
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I've read every thread I could find on here related to the 'quickshifter' or Gear Shift Assistant but still come up with no fix.

My bike is an '09 market launch bike that I bought earlier this spring. It had 15,800 miles on it when I purchased it, currently showing 19,000 miles. Being a 2009 it's out of warranty and I'm trying to rectify the issue without getting the dealer involved, but they will be my last resort.

About 500 miles after I got the bike home, the quickshifter started becoming intermittent. It would work at first and then 30 minutes or so into a trip it wouldn't work regardless of how much pressure was put on the shift lever. I'd pull over, shut the bike down, turn the key on, wait for system check, restart the bike, and all was well again. That lasted for the next 1000 miles or so.

Now the quickshifter function doesn't work at all. I invested in a GS-911, scanned the bike and don't have any codes showing. I unplugged the quickshifter at the harness, still no code. I reset
Iall the adaptations, took the bike for a spin to re learn the adaptive values, still no codes showing and no quickshifter function. So far I've dealt with shifting the old fashioned way, but I'd love to get it working again for the fun factor. How often do these sensor/switches go bad?
If the clutch lever is pulled slightly, the shift won't work. Switch may be bad or lever not returning all the way.or maybe an after market lever? All have been a problem for others
H
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'hgp3' for this post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Getting up to speed

Well I tested the battery with a meter. 12.9V with the key off, 12.6V with the key on. 11.5V while cranking, 14.1V with engine idling. I'll test the continuity of the switch next and report back.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Getting up to speed

The bike still has the factory brake and clutch levers. I can hear the microswitch in the clutch when depressing the lever. I've tried pushing the lever away from the bar while putting pressure on the shift lever, but still no quick shift action. The harness for the quick shifter appears to have 3 pins in the connector, does anyone know which pins to check with a meter for function check? Still perplexed.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'NH13S' for this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
The bike still has the factory brake and clutch levers. I can hear the microswitch in the clutch when depressing the lever. I've tried pushing the lever away from the bar while putting pressure on the shift lever, but still no quick shift action. The harness for the quick shifter appears to have 3 pins in the connector, does anyone know which pins to check with a meter for function check? Still perplexed.

I bought a 2009 k1300 s in 09 and part of my check over of the bike I saw they tied the wire from the shifter to the frame close and above the shifter and this caused the wire to bend right at the frame on every shift. I just cut the Ty rap and freed the cable. In situations like this the wire bends at this point and causes a break after a while. Maybe?
Worth a try, although I have heard of no problems from others, but my bike was very early production 02/09

H
Old 09-07-2015, 01:51 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Had the same problem with my 09. I could not find the problem but lucky for me it was under warranty and the shop fixed it. Software up grade by BMW shop fixed it. I suspect you are in need of a trip to the dealer. This occurred May 10, 2010 from my notes. There are problems in the GS and RT world right now with quick shifter software. And some serious issues with the up graded software too. A careful discussion with your service writer is in order when you go in.
(for some reason I think the quick shift signal is generated by a Hall effect device in the linkage piece not a micro switch, never opened one though just a faint reading recollection.)
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My brand new K1300S Motorsport did the same thing today. Quick shifter would not operate. Pulled over and turned it off, restarted, and then it was fine. About 10 minutes later, did the same thing. Came to stop light, put bike in neutral, and from then on it was fine. Bike has about 450 miles on it. Will see if it repeats and will mention to dealer when it goes in for its first service.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Getting up to speed

I'm probably going to give the dealer a call and schedule an appointment, I believe I'm on the recall list for the rear wheel flange anyhow. Maybe it's a software issue and they can just reflash the computer while it's in the shop.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Had the same problem with my 09. I could not find the problem but lucky for me it was under warranty and the shop fixed it. Software up grade by BMW shop fixed it. I suspect you are in need of a trip to the dealer. This occurred May 10, 2010 from my notes. There are problems in the GS and RT world right now with quick shifter software. And some serious issues with the up graded software too. A careful discussion with your service writer is in order when you go in.
(for some reason I think the quick shift signal is generated by a Hall effect device in the linkage piece not a micro switch, never opened one though just a faint reading recollection.)
You remembered correctly. Hall efect switch senses change in magnetic field..therefore no click.

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too tired to fight he'll just shoot you.
I'm the first guy you see when you come to after saying "Hold my beer and watch this !"
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'X-RAY MIKE' for this post:
Old 09-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Mine was also not working.

Software update cured it
Old 11-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:

Did you ever find out which male pins to read to check your shift assistant switch? My bike is experiencing the same problem yours was. Thanks, Kenny Wise
Kennywiseguy@gmail.com
Old 12-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
If you can, buy an cheap multimeter of borrow one, all multimeter even the cheapest has the possibility to measure continuity, when you touch both probes you can hear a beep. Now you can try to measure the continuity on the switch cables on the connector, If all is Ok, when you compress the rod (upshift) you can hear a sound (normal open) or if you hear the sound and when you push the rod the sound goes off (normal close) then the switch works fine

I disconnected my plug and it has 3 posts, i couldnt get a reading off of ANY of the combinations i connected to while cycling the shifter.

My buddy has a working QS and couldnt get an indication off of it either.

Any idea which leads should be checked?

Again, there are 3 male pins, 2ea with white and red line and 1ea with a White & Green line.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywiseguy
I disconnected my plug and it has 3 posts, i couldnt get a reading off of ANY of the combinations i connected to while cycling the shifter.

My buddy has a working QS and couldnt get an indication off of it either.

Any idea which leads should be checked?

Again, there are 3 male pins, 2ea with white and red line and 1ea with a White & Green line.

I don't know for sure but the cam bus usually takes a ground to make something work. The only things the signal does is kill the fuel and spark for a split second your foot supplies the power to shift. Picture the cambus as a relay that the power to the ignition and fuel injectors runs thru. Of course I may be wrong ��
I'm sure you will get many replies.
H
Old 12-24-2017, 05:10 PM
Shooting the gap

A Hall-Effect Device with 3-terminals likely requires power to work. A DVM Check can be done but "in situ" voltage measurement in this case. Without a proper "T-Harness" you're left to trimming away wire insulation in order to see a change in Voltage on the output terminal. If it was me, and as others have indicated a software update will fix it, I'd go that route first.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:59 AM

So in an effort to come up with a test for the Hall effect shift linkage quick shift works, I did a little reading and took one apart. The photo shows the body parts, the shaft has a plastic end piece that resides inside the switch and it holds a small magnet. The Hall effect unit is in the black plastic casting that slips onto the outside of the upper body piece, you can see the knurling that keeps it in place. When assembled the magnet is close enough to the Hall effect device to keep it turned off but when you move the shift lever it pushes the shaft more into the Hall effect devices "range" and turns its on. All this requires the unit to have electric power to it. The connector has 3 wires: looking into the male end #3 on the left is a black wire, #2 center is blue and #1 on the right is white. So with a 12vdc diode and a 9 vdc battery you can wire up a little test circuit to see it work. It takes a fair amount of pressure to move the shaft against the spring if you do it off the bike. I used some mini wire clips to attach to the pins, you could buy a three wire female connector from BMW and make a more elaborate test set up. But those pins in the male connector are small and close together. Don't open the main wire cable to get to the wires. It will never be the same after. Below are pictures of the circuit to test and a photo of the unit apart. To have this work, your clutch lever switch needs to be okay and the connectors all good. There might be a mechanical problem in the switch but slim chance of that. Hope this helps. Don't forget BMW says to run the bike in all gears (1N23456) for ten seconds each to sync the new readings to the bike. I suspect I would do this with the clutch in rather than let the wheel spin but I have not needed to try this myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rheadlighton.jpg (39.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg shiftlinkageswitch.jpg (567.7 KB, 4 views)
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 12-28-2017, 04:42 AM
Twisted Wrister

Nice work, Beech.

BMW used them in the ignition system of the R1100 series boxers and they could fail. (Water intake???) Buying new from BMW costs a fortune compared to the price of two Hall sensors (a couple of dollars) that can be bought online.
So in case the quickshifter fails because of a broken Hall sensor, it could be worth the trouble of searching the internet for a generic Hall sensor that fits, and doing a little soldering.
It worked for that old R1100 RS!
Old 12-28-2017, 12:46 PM

Yes, I have a couple of the parts in my electric drawer, I have given some away too. The shifter unit is sealed in a cast block of plastic, might be hard to deal with. I know the connector was absolutely impossible to take apart with out total damage. They must have had a jig that held the wires with their pins all ready crimped on, then put in an injection mold for a total one piece molding.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 12-29-2017, 07:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Well since this thread got revived I'll follow up with what fixed my bike. I had brought the bike in for the rear wheel flange recall in February 2016. They addressed the flange/hub, and updated the software on the bike. They ran the bike in each gear and allowed the bike to re-learn the sensor voltage required for each gear. Brought the bike home and the quick shifter was still no beuno. Called the dealer back and told them the issue was still present. Went back a few months later when I had time to try resolving the issue once and for all. They worked on the bike for about 4 hours and quite a few test rides trying to figure out what was causing the issue. Meanwhile I test rode an S1000RR, S1000R, R1200GSA, R1200R so I really didn't mind passing the time. I spoke with the service manager again and he said they wanted to replace the shift rod with the hall sensor (the $691 item) because they couldn't find anything else that could be the culprit. They put a known-working part on my bike and when I saw the technician take off for another test ride it made that nice pop on the upshift and I knew it was working again. All in all they took care of me even though the bike was out of warranty and I'll continue going back. Nothing technical to add to this thread like Beech, but changing the rod did resolve my issue and it's been working 100% since. They did say that my linkage may have been compromised somehow because it was very stiff to compress unlike the working unit which was not. My bike is always garaged and never sees rain (unless I get stuck in an unforeseen storm).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'NH13S' for this post:
Old 12-29-2017, 11:50 PM

Being stiff like you say, maybe the rod would not compress far enough into the unit to trigger the signal. It is not very precision inside. Only a guided slot in plastic for the magnet carrier, a flange on the shaft and a hard rubber seal on the bottom keep the linkage/rod straight.
When my K bike was about two years old it got a new unit on warranty, failure to function as you say.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 01-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

With the help of Beech i was able to properly troubleshoot and fix my quick shifter aka "shift assistant" on my K1300S with 40,000 miles.

Upon disassembly of my switch i discovered that the small magnet had come loose and had fallen out of the plastic white holder located within the switch.

I used a small bit of gorilla glue to secure it better and put it back together.

I HIGHLY recommend the use of anti seize (copper) on the aluminum threads of the housing and be sure to match mark EVERYTHING so when you put it back together it all lines up correctly.

I had to use a small pipe wrench on the knurled top part of the switch due to it being REALLY tight when i disassembled the switch.

I took it for a test ride and works beautifully now.

I did recalibrate it by putting the bike on the center stand and ran it thru all 6 gears for 10 seconds in each gear.

Hope this helps anyone who is also suffering from the same issue.

Why pay for a $600 part from this dealership if you don't need to?

Kenny Wise
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'kennywiseguy' for this post: