I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Getting up to speed

BMW WARRANTY VS COMPETITION

I have a 2006 BMW K1200 GT. Love the bike and would like to think it will last a little longer for me but have some doubts. Bike has 87,000 miles on it. I have had (4) drive shaft replaced to date, one transmission, and numereous fuel cells. I had one drive shaft under warranty. The rest was me paying for known BMW issues with the drive shaft. They would not stand by the product.

I just noticed that Yamaha is replacing the complete transmission on their YZR-R1 sport bike because of a defect.

Honda just anounced that they have an issue with their VFR 1200 sport tourer drive shafts. They are having a universal recall of all bikes for three years to replace the defective drives.

Reading this makes me wonder why I paid so much for a BMW and feel strongly that they did not support the product.

Am I the only one that feels this way.

Love the bike when it is right but am having trouble purchasing a new BMW!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Re: BMW WARRANTY VS COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspradnc
I have a 2006 BMW K1200 GT. Love the bike and would like to think it will last a little longer for me but have some doubts. Bike has 87,000 miles on it. I have had (4) drive shaft replaced to date, one transmission, and numereous fuel cells. I had one drive shaft under warranty. The rest was me paying for known BMW issues with the drive shaft. They would not stand by the product.

I just noticed that Yamaha is replacing the complete transmission on their YZR-R1 sport bike because of a defect.

Honda just anounced that they have an issue with their VFR 1200 sport tourer drive shafts. They are having a universal recall of all bikes for three years to replace the defective drives.

Reading this makes me wonder why I paid so much for a BMW and feel strongly that they did not support the product.
Am I the only one that feels this way.

Love the bike when it is right but am having trouble purchasing a new BMW!

All very good reasons for looking elsewhere..
Old 12-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

Actually, the issue is with that model specifically.
The K1200 R/S/GT is just horrible. Everything will eventually break on it, not matter how you take care of it.

The other bikes have some quirks but are more reliable.

The K1200RS/LT are very reliable bikes. Only know issue is the engine seal contaminating the clutch. Some rear diff issues. The fuel pump flange issue (recall) that affects all BMW bikes and of course the stupid servo ABS.

The R1200 R/GS/RT are very reliable bikes as well. Known issues are the same engine seal. The early bikes with the stupid servo ABS, and some bearing failures on the differential. Of course, the fuel pump flange (recall), the rear wheel hub flange (recall).. that's it. It's pretty reliable. I love it.

I don't know about the other models.

If you made it to 87K miles with only those failures, you can count yourself very lucky.

My K12R (extensively documented and whined about):
- Two failed servo ABS units
- Failed rear wheel flange that in turn ruined the complete differential. Had to buy two swingarms (as one was of the newer type abs sensor ring). Asked for the flange recall.. pending.
- Had to install a cam chain tensioner.
- The cam chain sprocket bolt could not be removed to replace the cam chain. Had to buy a new engine, or risk complete engine failure as the cam chain was rattling badly and the new chain type needed also to replace the sprockets. --> new engine.
- New oil pump chain. It got too elongated.
- New thermostat. The old one blew.
- Jump guard caused the valve cover to leak oil. Had to modify the jump guard.
- Fuel pump failed. Bought new one.
- Fuel pump flange is now leaking. Asked for a recall. Pending.
- Gearbox was jumping out of gear. BMW wouldn't recall it. Had to send it to R&D to repair it.

I don't know why I still keep it... I'm actually replacing the whole ABS system to fit the newer type Gen II ABS (new sensors, ring, ABS module, wiring, swingarm... ). Probably because is a lost cause and I just have fun tinkering with it. But, would I buy it again or a similar type (K1600 ). NEVER !!!
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'mondrage' for this post:
Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

M is right, loose the GT. It was a lemon and the Germans will never admit it.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,096 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

BMW mothership is just as arrogant as their customers They really don't give a rats ass after your warranty expires.

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,115 Posts

I have had my share of problems with my bikes - however in the end BMW has always come through. But of course I have never kept one past warranty - I'm not willing to find out if BMW is going to do the right thing or not.

Plus after three years I am ready for something new.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 12-30-2015, 12:41 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,769 Times in 2,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspradnc
I have a 2006 BMW K1200 GT. Love the bike when it is right but am having trouble purchasing a new BMW!

Just like every other brand, most owners only complain about the problems and don't sign on to websites to tell everyone how terrific their machine is and how satisfied they are.

Mondrage gave a pretty honest accounting of the product line. Newer vintage K13S/GT's or RT's or even the GS are wonderful bikes that had most of the issues engineered out of them.

I love both of my bikes and can see being satisfied with them for the foreseeable future.
Good Luck!

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

Currently Receiving Intravenous Sedatives and Rides a Pussy Bike with Pride

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 AM
Entering the on-ramp

They did the same thing with the ABS problem. Not the same company they were. They were known for quality, now profits.
I have a 2007,and will not stay with BMW if they do not start standing behind what they sell.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

I don't think Bruce is alone. More and more folks are not keeping their BMW's beyond warranty, a rather telling pattern.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Site Contributor

I've just sold my k1200 gt lemon the mental pain of wondering what and how much was more than I could put up with didn't help my dealer didn't want to know . But im sure thats not true in most cases.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Charlie, Since you have chosen to resurrect this thread from 2015, I'll chime in. After a long series of BMWs my K1200 GT wins the award as the worst of the bunch ( 11 and counting). And you are correct insomuch as you do tend to lose faith in the brand and you most definitely lose faith in the individual model. I actually traded the K12 ON A K13GT and while it was better it too had some of the exact same issues--STALLING. I actually did leave the brand for awhile to another niche market European brand with two transverse mounted cylinders only to find that it was not much better. I'm now on a K13S and so far so good, but I feel your pain reliability and aggravation wise. Good luck.

Ken