I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-26-2016, 10:09 PM
2013 Member of the Year

More on the i-ABS2 faults

It looks like at some point. ATE (AKA Teves), who make the i-ABS2 ABS system for BMW (and also for a large number of car manufacturers as well), has recognized the high failure rates of the electric motor that drives their ABS units.

Have a look at the photos below. The right one shows the motor's end plate (taken from my 2008 GT) with attached motor brushes. Both brushes are stuck... they SHOULD be extended all the way out. Instead they are hung up and do not press firmly against the commutator (not shown), preventing the motor from operating.

The left photo shows the same end plate taken from the ABS motor on a 2012 FORD Fiesta. Notice how the brush springs have no trouble extending the brushes full length.

Why? Because the brushes in 2012 Fiesta ABS are about 0.2mm smaller in width than the earlier ones from the 2008 GT. The brushes from the GT are wide enough to jam in the brush holders, whereas those from the later-manufacured Fiesta ABS slide freely.

Clearly, ATE woke up to the problem after a few years and finally fixed the problem!

By the way, those additional coils of wire? They are inductors (one in series with each brush), and they are there to reduce EMI (electrical noise).

Unfortunately, it turns out that you cannot merely swap out the original motor with a newer Fiesta motor, because the greater (intentional) eccentricity of the output shaft (compared to the stock ABS motor) can damage the internal high pressure pistons that the motor drives.

What I did was to simply replace the original end plate with brushes, with one from a Fiesta. All other parts of the motor remain stock.

Note that to remove the end plate and brushes, you must remove the ball bearing. This is shown in my previous post here.... http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=56223
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160123_200121.jpg (93.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20160123_200036.jpg (94.4 KB, 95 views)

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
The following (8) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 AM
Site Contributor

Re: More on the i-ABS2 faults

Looks like a nice fairly inexpensive repair option. BTW, good move to undercut the bearing to remove it with a regular gear puller.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:07 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,104 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Why don't you open up shop for the winter ....I'm sure you'll get plenty of business.

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:05 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Looks like a nice fairly inexpensive repair option. BTW, good move to undercut the bearing to remove it with a regular gear puller.

Hey Herb, well it's cheaper than paying $3000 for a new ABS!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Why don't you open up shop for the winter ....I'm sure you'll get plenty of business.

Hmmmm! Note to self.... think about it!

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 01-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Site Contributor

Hi Bob! I saw this when you posted it a few days ago. Back then I thought the same thing that I think now - Brilliant!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Thanked 1,421 Times in 801 Posts

Hey Bob.
Good work. Is it possible to remove a small amount of material from the brushes themselves to give them more room. Being careful of course not to hinder their conductivity.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 01-30-2016, 09:45 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Hi Bob! I saw this when you posted it a few days ago. Back then I thought the same thing that I think now - Brilliant!

Thanks David! I can feel my head swelling already!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:11 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
Hey Bob.
Good work. Is it possible to remove a small amount of material from the brushes themselves to give them more room. Being careful of course not to hinder their conductivity.

Hi Peter,

This has been tried by several people in the past, with varying results. There are two main problems. First, it is really hard to get between the end of the armature, and the inside of the plastic and plate that holds the brushes. Second, the brushes don't come all the way out of the brush holders. In fact, unless you remove the plastic end plate with brushes, the brushes have only a small fraction of there length that is sticking out from the brush holder, and so there isn't much of the brush that is exposed to be able to work on.

Some people have tries this, and several have reported that, although it initially seemed to work, the problem came back to bite them weeks or months later. In my case, I tried this approach first (before I could figure a way to get the bearing off) and as soon as I put it back in the bike, I got the fault light again right away, even though I tested the motor itself before assembling it onto the ABS "block"!

As it turns out, it is quite it's a #6000 bearing with rubber seals on each side). The trick is to be VERY careful when pressing it on to the shaft. It must be pressed on far enough that the dimension from the exposed side of the bearing to the end of the shaft sticking out of it, is 11.4 to 12.0 mm.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 01-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Thanked 1,421 Times in 801 Posts

Thanks Bob that's a very comprehensive answer. One more question. I was assuming the brushes were replaceable and could be wholly removed from their holder. Is that not the case?

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 01-31-2016, 01:28 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
Thanks Bob that's a very comprehensive answer. One more question. I was assuming the brushes were replaceable and could be wholly removed from their holder. Is that not the case?

If it were only so!

In fact, the brushes are not removable. The brush holders are permanently attached to the plastic end plate. If you look closely at the photos I posted at the beginning of this thread, you can see how they have secured the brush holders by using a hot tool of some sort, that melts 2 plastic pins (one on each side of the holder) and forms them into a sort of rivet head shape to hold the brush holders. To remove the brush holders, you would have to cut the plastic "rivet" head off, but then, there would be no way to reassemble the holder.

Also, the connector at the end of the brush wire is snapped into a recess in the plastic plate, and requires a special de-insertion tool to remove it.

By the way, sorry about the numerous grammatical errors in my previous post! I was in too much of a hurry , I guess!

The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post: