I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > I-BMW Racing > Racing General
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Racing General Section for AMA Series and likewise

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Isle of Man

We caught today's practice session. The speed is addicting to watch. My wife has never been to a race. She picked a great place to start. Hutchy crushed the top average speed with 132+MPH. His top speed was slightly more than 198MPH. It is absolutely amazing to see the top racers attack the part of the track we were watching. A slight left around a blind corner to a slight right downhill blind after the turn. Hutchinson attacks it like he can see the whole road. The left right camber of the street had both tires confusing the chassis of those bikes to the point of if you didn't bounce through you were going down. Tomorrow is the Superbike race. I took plenty of pics but most were just a blur. When I figure out how to post them I will, I did get a few good ones.
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'docsevicz' for this post:
Old 06-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,696 Times in 2,765 Posts

Re: Isle of Man

As for photos, you may have to re-size them using any editing software - usually 1250 x 750 pixels - then upload them to your "Gallery" - note the button on the tool bar. Once in your Gallery - right click on the photo, copy either the photo's image address or its URL and paste that between these markers,

[img][/img]

Enjoy the races, but remember we won't believe you without photos
Old 06-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsevicz
We caught today's practice session. The speed is addicting to watch. My wife has never been to a race. She picked a great place to start. Hutchy crushed the top average speed with 132+MPH. His top speed was slightly more than 198MPH. It is absolutely amazing to see the top racers attack the part of the track we were watching. A slight left around a blind corner to a slight right downhill blind after the turn. Hutchinson attacks it like he can see the whole road. The left right camber of the street had both tires confusing the chassis of those bikes to the point of if you didn't bounce through you were going down. Tomorrow is the Superbike race. I took plenty of pics but most were just a blur. When I figure out how to post them I will, I did get a few good ones.

Living vicariously through you! Pics please!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:05 PM

Pics will have to wait til I get home,sorry. I'm getting some good ones. Superbikes were awesome today. I won't give anything away but Michael Dunlop set a new lap record. Under 17 minutes. BMW had two podiums. My god these racers are insane to do what they do. They take their racing very seriously. Quite a few of the ordinary street riders leather up to the max. I can count the number of Harley's I've seen on one hand. The islanders are some of the nicest people I've ever met. On a bus ride here I met a guy from the town next door from Cape Cod. He's here to photograph the race. His pictures will be displayed at a gallery in Provincetown. I'm going to look him up mid July. Been to Daytona and NH Speedway when Freddie Spencer ruled, the Isle of Man is in a league of its own.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,359 Times in 3,112 Posts

Really looking forward to your pictures. IOM is a bucket list event for me - just to be there and witness the most extraordinary motorcycle event on the planet would be awesome.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Getting up to speed

+1 on the photos!! Completely jealous!!! Enjoy
Old 06-05-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Really looking forward to your pictures. IOM is a bucket list event for me - just to be there and witness the most extraordinary motorcycle event on the planet would be awesome.
Mad Sunday today. Regulars on the course with parts of it no speed limits. Bikes can be rented. Thought about it but decided between left hand drive and no limits I'm a good candidate for the hospital. Taking the tram up to Snaeful Mtn. today. Highest point here. Getting a peak at Scotland. Bruce, this place is motorcycle Mecca!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'docsevicz' for this post:
Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,815 Times in 1,069 Posts

Have you seen Muriel Farrington, she's over there too?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,018 Times in 785 Posts

Was watching the event last night.. They're showing the highlights on Velocity channel... Phenomenal. The camera work is so much better these days... Would love to attend someday...Looking forward to tonights coverage.. Looking forward toy your pics and overall report.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Go Ugly Early

Sad...one death already. Sidecar driver...don't know the details.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM

Very sad indeed, I heard it was on a straight away. They delayed the race for 2 hours. The only explanation given was oil on the track. I had a feeling it was more serious. I also heard that at practice later another racer was killed. Took a bus ride along much of the course today, it is unforgiving. Watched a great show about the Dunlop family of racers last night. Joey was very successful 1000s of times racing and practicing. He went to Estonia, by himself to race because his close very outgoing friend offed himself and racing was his escape. It was raining. Very heavy rain on his second lap. The first corner he hydroplaned into a tree and well, the tree didn't move. His Mom said racing is cruel. She's right.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Go Ugly Early

Any word about crazy Guy Martin? Have heard nothing about him?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Any word about crazy Guy Martin? Have heard nothing about him?

And you won't. He's sitting 2016 out. Here's an article from the UK.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/...sle-of-man-tt/
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RRob' for this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Fuse lit...

Re: Isle of Man - SPOILER HERE!

Quote:
Very sad indeed, I heard it was on a straight away. They delayed the race for 2 hours. The only explanation given was oil on the track. I had a feeling it was more serious. I also heard that at practice later another racer was killed. Took a bus ride along much of the course today, it is unforgiving. Watched a great show about the Dunlop family of racers last night. Joey was very successful 1000s of times racing and practicing. He went to Estonia, by himself to race because his close very outgoing friend offed himself and racing was his escape. It was raining. Very heavy rain on his second lap. The first corner he hydroplaned into a tree and well, the tree didn't move. His Mom said racing is cruel. She's right.

That's an amazing movie called "Road" all about the history of the Dunlop family and their racing experiences (and losses).

I just watched the first broadcast DVR'ed from Velocity and it was just stunning how Michael Dunlop crushed the field in a class all his own.

I'll also be excited to see your photos when you return. Someday...
Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Was watching the event last night.. They're showing the highlights on Velocity channel... Phenomenal. The camera work is so much better these days... Would love to attend someday...Looking forward to tonights coverage.. Looking forward toy your pics and overall report.
Got some friends and I looking to go 2020... Not firmed up but you would fit in extremely well with the guys.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Ian Hutchinson was king of the mountain today. Twice. Watched from Parliament Square, the first race (Supersport) Great vantage point around a corner and then to a straight. We could almost touch them. On the first lap a couple of the leaders went over a manhole cover and the front end couldn't grip it, amazing seeing them recover. None of the leaders did it again. Second race (Superstock) we watched from a school that a couple of natives recomended, had to walk the road a bit and cut thru a golf course to the school. Great spot. Sweeping left followed by a right bend to the hairpin called the Gooseneck. Best spot of the week. Leaders flew by at at least 120MPH. There was a piece of driveway curbing that some riders were close to but one missed it by inches. Fast in wide out. Scared the crap out of my wife. Awesome experience! On the train ride home we met the secretary of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. She's from White River Junction Vermont, USA. She's 74 years old and joining the 300K club. Took up riding at 59. I think she said she had an F650. One of her companions had a good Joey Dunlop story. Joey, in his early days would get tanked up (at a time when it was part of life) hop on his bike (at night) turn off his lights and run the course. His story was that's how he learned the course. I think the lights part is embellishment. But I'll tell you, it's 11pm and it's not dark yet. Tomorrow we trike the course then take off to Dublin. This has been the best holiday. Be home Friday to watch the Senior race at home! I want to see it again already. If I don't...I can say I did!
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'docsevicz' for this post:
Old 06-08-2016, 04:53 AM

Well, it was a great trip. Winding down in Dublin til tomorrow. Elise's part of the trip. The accommodations are much nicer and a little cheaper here. The trike ride around the course yesterday was a thrill and an education. On the mountain part the speed limits are off and the driver would've gone faster but the roads were wet, even 80 on the back of a VW trike was a thrill. I'll be glad to be home. I need some sleep and dark skies at 8:30. Gets dark here after 11, late is great but hell on my rhythms. Pics are coming!
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'docsevicz' for this post:
Old 06-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,525 Times in 771 Posts

Sounds like you had a great trip. And yes I'm a little bit jealous! Looking forward to the pictures.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

A lot of Metzeler tires on the Superstock podium.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,126 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Ian Hutchinson was king of the mountain today. ...

On the train ride home we met the secretary of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. She's from White River Junction Vermont, USA. She's 74 years old and joining the 300K club. Took up riding at 59. I think she said she had an F650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousi
Have you seen Muriel Farrington, she's over there too?

Thats HER !!! What a freakin' small world!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 06-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
This has been the best holiday. Be home Friday to watch the Senior race at home! I want to see it again already. If I don't...I can say I did!
You schedule a trip to the Isle of Man during TT week, and you leave BEFORE the Senior TT race?

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX
You schedule a trip to the Isle of Man during TT week, and you leave BEFORE the Senior TT race?
Guess he's got a limit on his vacation days ...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Guess he's got a limit on his vacation days ...
Maybe, but it seems like you would include Senior TT Friday as one of those vacation days. Maybe the ferries and the airflight were full at the end.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 06-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Thats HER !!! What a freakin' small world!
When her name was mentioned earlier I had no idea who she was, on the electric train back to Douglas from Ramsey she sat behind us. I was wearing a BMW fleece and she tapped me on the shoulder and told me it goes nice with hers. We struck up a conservation. She was with another gentleman and his wife. The man makes cow reflection stickers and asked me if I had ever seen one. I told him no and he told me I will because he's sold thousands. Muriel chatted away about being secretary and she was stepping down and invited me to NY for a rally. Running into her was like finding a needle in a haystack! My wife booked the trip so I had no input to the dates. The whole trip was a surprise to me. She booked in October and most package trips she looked at were either first half or second half. She chose the first half although she didn't do a package deal. I'm glad we did because we saw the big bikes lots of times. For the first visit to the TT it was perfect. Muriel and Co. have been here 2 weeks and are here another week. They've seen no races. They watch the TV coverage. It's easier and they see more. That and they had bikes to ride. Go figure. The vaca time for me is flexible but my lovely wife's is not so much. So I guess I must come back for the Senior Race and to find a TT bushy hat! I can do 2020...
Old 06-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned Spammer

Muriel is a peach (also mom), she was with Ted and Lynn. Shit I thought everyone in the BMW
community knew her.
She probably invited you to the Green Mountain Rally in VT, late September?
Glad you got to meet her.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Muriel is a peach (also mom), she was with Ted and Lynn. Shit I thought everyone in the BMW
community knew her.
She probably invited you to the Green Mountain Rally in VT, late September?
Glad you got to meet her.

Quote:
invited me to NY for a rally

VT... NY... Same difference?

Ride West 2008
Old 06-09-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
When her name was mentioned earlier I had no idea who she was, on the electric train back to Douglas from Ramsey she sat behind us. I was wearing a BMW fleece and she tapped me on the shoulder and told me it goes nice with hers. We struck up a conservation. She was with another gentleman and his wife. The man makes cow reflection stickers and asked me if I had ever seen one. I told him no and he told me I will because he's sold thousands. Muriel chatted away about being secretary and she was stepping down and invited me to NY for a rally. Running into her was like finding a needle in a haystack!

Wow! Especially since she wasn't even attending the races!!

I got the reflecting cows on all of my bikes.

Enjoy your last day.

Cheers

Ride West 2008
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Twisted Wrister

Paul

It's great to hear of an American making the effort to get to the TT races and then finding out it really is as amazing an experience as everyone says. The men who race are totally unaffected and happy to rub shoulders with fans at the burger and coffee vans. I don't know if you guys can access a UK channel called ITV4, but their nightly coverage of the TT is superb, with commentators like Steve Parrish, who was once team mate to the great Barry Sheene. If you find yourself in the UK at the wrong time of year for the Isle of Man races, try the Oliver's Mount races at Scarborough in North Yorkshire. This is known as the 'mini TT', the track is simply a closed off public road; it is very narrow, and there are big changes of gradient and hairpins where the riders are close enough to touch - although I wouldn't recommend it. Again the riders are totally accessible. I shall never forget one year leaning on the fence watching the bikes line up on the grid, glancing to my left to see Phil Read and John Surtees about ten feet away, sipping tea from Styrofoam cups.
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 06-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Site Contributor

Do as I did, download the ITV hub app and use a VPN service like HMA. I love watching ITV and BBC from the US mainly for the documentarys!
You will have to change the region in your Apple Store settings to the UK temporarily or you won't see the ITV app to download if left in the USA Apple Store region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchoc
I don't know if you guys can access a UK channel called ITV4, but their nightly coverage of the TT is superb
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM

Thinking a little more about finding a needle in a haystack....I think sitting in the haystack and it poking me in the arse is more like it....it is a small world!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 AM

The Senior TT z'ben run by now, it doesn't come on here til 11pm. Can't wait to watch it, I don't wanna who wins until I see who does, the rain or wet track will be a big factor. Their coming off the best stretch of weather for the race in 10 years and it was raining when we left. If I were to bet, I'd bet a boxed tri-fecta in Hutchinson, Michael Dunlop and Bruce Anstey for a 100 pounds. I think Hutchinson is on a mission coming off his injuries and probably knows every drain, electric and water cover on the course. Dunlops probly not to pleased about his disqualification and doesn't want to taint his unbelievable under 17 minute lap time and I think Anstey wants to beat McGuiness , who I see a 4th place finish for because his Honda is getting old. It would have been nice to be there and seen them race but I think it'll be better to see it all on the telly. At least that's what I'm telling mysel!
Old 06-12-2016, 12:45 AM

The race was finally on tonight. Biggest surprise for me was McGuiness, his pit crew excelled and next year he gets a new Honda. Hutchinson's motor choice wasn't the best. Dunlop was amazing. Watching goes to a new level after being there, schoolhouse corner was where we watched after cutting through the golf course. I have a lot of pics to downsize to share.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Four racers killed this year. Will/should this increase the pressure to stop or greatly modify the TT?

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 06-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Banned Spammer

Quote:
Four racers killed this year. Will/should this increase the pressure to stop or greatly modify the TT?

Let's not go there.....

The racers know the risk and most live for it.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Let's not go there.....

The racers know the risk and most live for it.

But the pressure would come from the public, regardless of how the racers feel. You can't just ignore that possibility.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 06-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Fuse lit...

Quote:
But the pressure would come from the public, regardless of how the racers feel. You can't just ignore that possibility.

I don't think any pressure will come from the racing public. If anything it'll be from people who don't know how to live outside their safe warm bubble. There's no modification that will make it "safe." With all the great run off areas and amazing tracks in MotoGP, there have still been fatalities - one recently.

It's a very sobering experience to watch that movie about the Dunlop family and the losses they've suffered to road racing. Some people have a very high threshold to reach to feel alive and no one is forcing anyone to watch them do it. I've never lost anyone to motorcycling but I've personally lost dear friends and acquaintances in aerobatic flying over the 12+ years I've been involved. Why do people do things like that with that much risk? Because they're good at it and it makes them feel like they are truly living something precious.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 06-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Fuse lit...

On a more relevant note, I wonder how all those suckers feel now - the one's that ponied up $190,000 for the Honda 213VS - the one that got smoked by BMWs and Kawasakis and at least one Honda Blade ridden by McGuinness. I would have thought that bike would have been perfect for the TT but Anstey could only manage a 5th in the Senior TT on it and got passed easily by the leaders. OTOH, maybe he got 5th because he was on a superior bike? Something tells me not.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:07 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
I don't think any pressure will come from the racing public. If anything it'll be from people who don't know how to live outside their safe warm bubble. There's no modification that will make it "safe." With all the great run off areas and amazing tracks in MotoGP, there have still been fatalities - one recently.

Yes, that's where the public pressure tends to come from . . . the general public who are not directly involved in your activity. Four fatalities in one year in four separate accidents . . . on a circuit that even competitors and the racing public acknowledge is much more dangerous than other racing venues. That is a recipe for public action.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 06-14-2016, 04:56 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
On a more relevant note, I wonder how all those suckers feel now - the one's that ponied up $190,000 for the Honda 213VS - the one that got smoked by BMWs and Kawasakis and at least one Honda Blade ridden by McGuinness. I would have thought that bike would have been perfect for the TT but Anstey could only manage a 5th in the Senior TT on it and got passed easily by the leaders. OTOH, maybe he got 5th because he was on a superior bike? Something tells me not.
he had a fall in the practice week, if i remember right ... so ... he wasn't really up to 100%
Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Site Contributor

Just got home to Montana after 24 hours of flying from the IOM - long way to go but so worth it. We spent race week there and were able to see all the races and practice/qualifying sessions run during that time. As Paul said, the weather cooperated and the racing was breathtaking. Besides the racing, the island is beautiful and there is a lot to do, so your spouse won't be bored if they're not a racing/motorcycling enthusiast. And the Manx people are friendly and gracious. Here are a few pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160604_180644.jpg (141.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20160605_125631.jpg (351.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20160610_183506.jpg (63.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20160607_143209.jpg (302.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20160609_152723.jpg (314.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20160610_154420.jpg (353.1 KB, 18 views)

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Lava 2009 k1300s (for sale )
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 06-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Site Contributor

There is plenty of TT programs to be seen on ITV hub. For anyone outwith the UK, you can download and watch ITV Hub as mentioned in my previous thread.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Site Contributor

So.....For you guys that were there this year or recently, would you like to share where you booked, along with any other tips? Of particular interest is accommodation! I was considering booking a trip for race week as a surprise for my boy for next year, to allow us to have some father and son time together. Getting flights from US to Manchester to stay with his Grandmother is no problem, booking flights from Manchester to IOM should be no problem if I book in the next month, but accommodation even at this early stage appears to be all but non existent!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Site Contributor

Getting an accommodation is definitely the most difficult part of planning and the key to making it happen. You will pay a much higher price if you book through an agency or with one of the hotels compared to finding a home stay bed and breakfast. I found both my 2012 and 2016 home stays by emailing people directly and then by word of mouth. Most home stay rooms are booked years in advance by repeat customers, so you just have to keep talking to folks and following leads. Don't be deterred - you'll eventually find something. But start looking now. BTW, I talked to a guy that has a nice place that is not booked for next year so PM me and I'll give you his contact email.

Black 2013 k1300s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 06-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
That is a recipe for public action.
Very, very unlikely that pressure could be brought that would compell them to change the event. The entire island, the people as well as the organizers and the government, have been dealing with the danger issues for 100 years and they have it figured out. Everyone wants the races to continue unimpeded because of the historic and cultural aspects, as well as monetary. IMHO, it will continue without rules to control the speeds, as well it should. As everyone we talked to said, there are plenty of dangerous sports in the world, some even more dangerous than the TT. Their attitude was clear: they won't stand for anyone messing with their TT.

Black 2013 k1300s
Old 06-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Site Contributor

As David mentioned in earlier post, this event is very relaxed and many of the riders are unaffected by their accomplimestone and are accessible. We stood behind the grandstand after the Senior race and sure enough John McGuiness came out beer in band. We talked to him for about 10 minutes and got some some photos together. The perfect ending to or TT experience.

Black 2013 k1300s
Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 PM

Nice pics Bobby. Unfortunately I am at a loss for uploading my own right now, I can offer my words on accommodations. My lovely wife and I stayed in Douglas. She found the last room available at the Rutland Hotel in October, other than the kitchen noises and a bed like a waffle it was OK. Douglas is a great place to stay. The grandstand was a steep uphill walk and on the way you could see the container ship accommodations stacked two high housing other visitors. On the promenade at street level there were plenty of people in RVs parking. We got a 5 day pass to all the transpo services the island had, from the buses to the electric RR that brought you to the top of the mountain. It's a mountain because because it's 36 feet above what is considered a mountain. The pass was a good buy, highly recommended. The horse pulled buggys we did not use but they traveled up and down the prommenade. The food in town was fantastic. They cook potatoes called chips that are great. The secret is plunging them after cutting them up into 1/2" pieces into boiling water for 10-15 minutes then baking them. The natives are some of the nicest people I've met and offer assistance with all you ask. One of them told me that it's documented. I believe it. For me, the racing was a small part of the experience, it was the best part, getting to it made it even better. If its on your list, do it. Truly a great experience!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'docsevicz' for this post:
Old 06-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Site Contributor

We also bought the transportation pass as soon as we got thete and it was such a great deal. The buses go everywhere. We also had taxis take us to various places early on race days and we're able to get the choice viewing spots. Definitely worth the cost of the taxi. Met great folks every day from all over the world. The locals, including our home stay hosts, provided info on great resturants, TT history, and IOM culture. As extraordinary as the racing was, it was just a part of the whole experience. If I wasn't way out here in the western US I'd definitely go back on a regular basis.

Black 2013 k1300s
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 06-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Site Contributor

That room is no longer available , as I've booked it for race week next year Many thanks for the tip. Is there any point in hiring a car for the week we'll be there, or best just to rely on buses and taxis? Any area of the track you would suggest that is the absolute must be there, and is better than other areas to watch the race?

[quote=I talked to a guy that has a nice place that is not booked for next year so PM me and I'll give you his contact email.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-16-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehighlander
That room is no longer available , as I've booked it for race week next year Many thanks for the tip. Is there any point in hiring a car for the week we'll be there, or best just to rely on buses and taxis? Any area of the track you would suggest that is the absolute must be there, and is better than other areas to watch the race?
If you know Muriel the secretary give her a shout. She told me the house they got is avail. The owners leave during race week as I'm sure many others do to. It's small but it cost less for the week than we paid for one night at the Rutland. I managed to get a few pics up in the gallery, it's nice to put a face to a story. Took me 3 days. I have no idea how to get them in this thread. I'll figure it out. Go the pass for transport. It was a best buy for us.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:48 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,303 Times in 607 Posts

Quote:
...I managed to get a few pics up in the gallery, it's nice to put a face to a story. Took me 3 days. I have no idea how to get them in this thread. I'll figure it out. Go the pass for transport. It was a best buy for us.
Just right click your piture in the gallery, click properties and copy the url. Then click the little envelope looking thingy at the top of the post thread box and paste the url: (Great pics BTW!)

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K1DUDE' for this post:
Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1DUDE
Just right click your piture in the gallery, click properties and copy the url. Then click the little envelope looking thingy at the top of the post thread box and paste the url: (Great pics BTW!)
Envelope thingy, OK. Anyway that's Superbike Saturday from the grandstand. The cemetery in the background is surreal. The phone takes a nice pic, TY very much.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:13 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy

Yes that picture is fantastic. Post more please.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:07 PM

Joey Dunlop, his bronze smiles really shining. Mine was all week too!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:22 PM

Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 PM

URL thing isn't there
Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 PM

Old 06-16-2016, 10:05 PM

It's not working for me K1, my iPhone is not cooperating. FB been blipping out all day and so has my email. I'll try uploading into the gallery. I got a handful in so far.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy

I can't do it from my phone either. Someone can maybe step in and help. Great pictures. I'm looking forward to them.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:21 AM
Fuse lit...

The best way to do this forum photo thing is to host your photos on a site like smugmug or some other photo site. smugmug is nice because it has a very easy way to grab a link for any photo you have there, and for the photo in any size you want from tiny to super large. It makes it really easy to use the photo insert tool on this forum like this:

Old 06-20-2016, 05:27 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehighlander

G'day Highlander. I wrote a bit of a story up after last year's TT. It'll be in the TT forums here somewhere! We had a car. Made the ferry trip tricky though as you need to book well in advance to get a car space. Public transport and busses on the island seem good but still doesn't beat the flexibility of being able to trip around and further whenever you want.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Heapy' for this post: