I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > BMW R-Series
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

BMW R-Series Discussions of the Boxers EXCEPT the GS/GSA

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Getting up to speed

How to reset ABS

Does anybody know how to do a reset on my 2004 R1150RT ? I have pulled up a bunch of websites that show using a ground wire but I believe they all show the type of abs system that has a on and off button on the dash. Mine has no switch (that I know of) so I am not sure what to do.

I have explained in my other posts about wheel drag etc but I believe that I fixed the problem a while back but I just need to reset the system.

The dang system works like a dream. I just cannot believe there is something wrong besides the stuff I have already fixed,

So how can I reset the darn thing ?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: How to reset ABS

I do not remember where I found this but it worked on my 95 R1100rs

Another situation that owners should possibly either know how to deal with or else carry a set of printed instructions for, is ABS reset.In certain situations e.g. after an off, the ABS needs to be reset. You can see this because the red ABS warning lights flash not together as they normally do but alternately. The brakes are unaffected.Normally a dealer has to reset the ABS. However several owners said that the last thing they wanted after coming off was to have non-functioning ABS. The following procedure can also be used. It is useful to carry a short length of wire stripped at both ends. Turn ignition off. Remove pillion and rider seats. Locate the 3 wire plug by the toolkit and remove the blue termination. (It's for diagnostics so is not connected to anything). Insert one end of wire into the *middle* socket. Clip the other end firmly to ground. Turn ignition on. Note that the two ABS lights continue flashing alternately. Hold ABS button down for 8 seconds. The bottom ABS light should stay on, the
top one off. Release the ABS button. If the reset is successful, both ABS lights come on. If you didn't count to 8 or your ground is not good, then the top ABS light stays off. Start again and/or try pressing the ABS button before
turning ignition on. Turn ignition off, remove wire, reconnect plug and refit blue termination.

07 K1200GT CGM
00 Ducati 900 Monster
Old 09-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I reset the ABS on my friend's 2002 R1150 RT after having it all apart. I used a GS-911 to connect to the brain and cleared all the fault codes. Good as new. I have not seen a backyard fix to reset on that Model of ABS.

Best of luck

Dusty
Old 01-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter63
Does anybody know how to do a reset on my 2004 R1150RT ? I have pulled up a bunch of websites that show using a ground wire but I believe they all show the type of abs system that has a on and off button on the dash. Mine has no switch (that I know of) so I am not sure what to do.

I have explained in my other posts about wheel drag etc but I believe that I fixed the problem a while back but I just need to reset the system.

The dang system works like a dream. I just cannot believe there is something wrong besides the stuff I have already fixed,

So how can I reset the darn thing ?
Were you able to reset your bike, if so, did it fix the problem? I've got the same bike.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Welcome to the site. Your bike model ABS is troublesome. Anything from a sensor wire in trouble, low fluid in the wheel reservoirs hidden under body work in the ABS unit itself, to a failed unit can be the fault. There are two companies that will rebuild these units if it turns out to be that. In the mean time I suggest you do a search for servo ABS and read all the work people have done on their bikes in an effort to solve problems just like yours. Below are the two European companies that will overhaul your ABS unit if you get to that stage.
See thread:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=62006
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,018 Times in 785 Posts

While we're on the subject... A couple of months ago I dropped my K1200S. Did almost no damage, but it triggered the ABS light. I thought I'd dodged a bullet until my dealer quoted $1200 to reset the ABS.. Said they had to tear the bike down to her guts to get to wherever they have to reset it... Broke my heart...

With all the K guys here... surely somebody has a work-around that would be cheaper other than to cover up the dash light with electrical tape... which is what I've done...
Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
dealer quoted $1200 to reset the ABS.. Said they had to tear the bike down to her guts to get to wherever they have to reset it... Broke my heart...
Absolutely never heard of that before. You can get at the ABS unit by just removing the plastic and fuel tank about half an hour. But a reset is electrical as far as I know. Replacement is another thing. I know some folks have needed to pull the ABS unit and re work the brushes in the unit, maybe that is what they were talking about.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

He acted like it was common knowledge... He said nothing about reworking it.. Just re-setting it. He suggested I wait until I need a full tune-up, plugs, fluids, etc as it would be cheaper that way. Perhaps $1500 for everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Absolutely never heard of that before. You can get at the ABS unit by just removing the plastic and fuel tank about half an hour. But a reset is electrical as far as I know. Replacement is another thing. I know some folks have needed to pull the ABS unit and re work the brushes in the unit, maybe that is what they were talking about.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Site Contributor

Wow.... 1500 dollars for a "error code" delete?!

A normal Servo ABS flush and test is about 200-250 dollars.

Low internal fluid level will always cause the light to be on, as well as pressure sensor malfunctions.

If the servo is functioning normal with the typical whining noises when either pulling the front brake or rear brake, and "normal servo assisted braking power" is available then i would have a closer look at the front wheel pickup and the rear wheel pickup.

Both are magnetic. Not that you have picked up a washer or the final drive sensor is covered in metall from the bearings.

Your dealer can easily find out if one of the sensors is malfunctioning.
That would be a simple 5 minute job, and does not require the bike to be dismantled.

I know because i have their software.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

No.. to be accurate... $1200 to reset the ABS... but if I have them reset it during a full service the price is $1500 out the door. I do now recall he said fluid would need to be added as when the bike tipped over some fluid did leak out.. less than 1/4 cup...

He ran the diagnostics on it and said my ABS isn't working now which is fine with me. I wish it wasn't on the bike anyway... but the dash light must go at some point and I was just hoping I get get that done with minimal damage to my wallet.

Now that I've got a new knee.. I'm thinking about selling the bike and if I do.. I want everything to be perfect on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83
Wow.... 1500 dollars for a "error code" delete?!

A normal Servo ABS flush and test is about 200-250 dollars.

Low internal fluid level will always cause the light to be on, as well as pressure sensor malfunctions.

If the servo is functioning normal with the typical whining noises when either pulling the front brake or rear brake, and "normal servo assisted braking power" is available then i would have a closer look at the front wheel pickup and the rear wheel pickup.

Both are magnetic. Not that you have picked up a washer or the final drive sensor is covered in metall from the bearings.

Your dealer can easily find out if one of the sensors is malfunctioning.
That would be a simple 5 minute job, and does not require the bike to be dismantled.

I know because i have their software.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:47 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

$1200 Sounds a little odd. Even to pull the plastics and do a brake flush should only be 3 or 4 hours. Erase the error codes that cause the light to flash is only 1/2 hour tops. I re read your post that the system is not working. That changes everything. Hope it doesn't cost you to much.

Dusty
Old 01-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Site Contributor

If your bike tipped over, then the internal fluid reservoir is low on brake fluid.
The error code is going to be permanent until someone fills it up.

Like i said before, the full service on a "Servo ABS" unit is max 200-250.
Since you already know that you lost a 1/4 cup, i would not run the risk of drawing air into the system and end up with no braking power.
Just my humble oppinion.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

My dealer told me that there was no danger in riding it with such a small amount of fluid lost..(other than my ABS will not function) and I have ridden it for a few hundred miles since. No problem.. Don't forget... "Danger" is my middle name..

$200-250? Apparently not in my town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83
If your bike tipped over, then the internal fluid reservoir is low on brake fluid.
The error code is going to be permanent until someone fills it up.

Like i said before, the full service on a "Servo ABS" unit is max 200-250.
Since you already know that you lost a 1/4 cup, i would not run the risk of drawing air into the system and end up with no braking power.
Just my humble oppinion.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for your reply but the bike didn't tip over. I have a feeling that it's the front wheel censor, as it happened right after washing the bike. And no, I didn't use a power washer. Though I have in the past and it did cause a failure, which did fix itself in about 3 days.