I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Unhappy K1300s Motorsport

I traded my trusty Blackbird for k1300s Motorsport 2015 model
New bike from main Dealer in London

Lovely looking bike BUT I have experienced it's seeming inability
To respond to throttle blip on change down and this is very
Unsettling as it removes control over revs when setting up for corners and makes the
Ride unpredictable and unsettled

I have asked the dealers and the response is an unhelpful , that's the way they are
Just get used to it ! It seems it's a factory setting to meet emissions BIT
In my view it's just unsafe to ride and the dammed thing now just sits in my garage unused

I am
Asking if anyone has a solution. To this issue, I've been told a powercommander sorta this out but at £500 it seems a lot to fix a throttle response
Issue which should be fixed by bmw

Quite fed up at lack of dealer response and despite asking Park Lane
BMW twice for guidance on how much to sell this for
I get no response , they can't do enough to sell you the bike but seem incapable
Of resolving this issue ......boo the brand is not living up
To the hype on the wonderful ride you are supposed to get

I have had all sorts of bikes ,VFR, blade, Ducati 996
Gsxr, Blackbird, Aprilla RS 250 none of these have this issue
And to my mind the k1300s Motorsport is a massive disappointment as despite its looks
It's just become an expensive bit of garage art unless I can fix its dreadful
Throttle response , had I known it was like this I'd never have bought

So this is last chance to ask if anyone has any
Solutions before I sell this bad dog bike and rid myself of massive

Thank you for any suggestions and if anyone is out there from BMW
Perhaps they might suggest if there is a factory fix which won't cost me &500 to fix their problem which to my mind is a significant safety issue as the lack of throttle control to match speed with revs almost had me off the bike ifirst time I rode it in the eek when new out of the box on my way home
Old 10-03-2016, 12:13 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,082 Posts

Re: K1300s Motorsport

Welcome to the asylum Stuart!

I'm assuming you have eliminated the possibility of bad fuel or dirty injectors. How many miles on this bike?

That said, there are many threads on the K13S. As with anything else, there are issues at varying degrees that folks here have discussed in these threads. Rexxer can tune your ECU and there should be someone near you. They have done great work according to some who have used them. Over here in the States, there is Bren Tuning.

I'd give Rexxer a shot because the bike is just an unbelievable good one, very good at almost everything you ask it to do.

That said, I've never had any of the issues...mine runs perfectly for the 5 years I've had it.

Here's a Rexxer thread to get you started, and the tech forums for the bike.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=Rexxer

http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

There are several Rexxer threads. Just use 'search' on top of the home page to quickly find more.
You sound as picky as anyone of us. Good luck and report back with your updates.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:40 AM
K-bike addict
Thanked 1,461 Times in 672 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!

Stuart, welcome aboard
I am sorry to hear of your problem. Can I ask a simple question? Did you test ride this bike before purchase? If so, you would have seen the issue and never have bought it...
I have had two K bikes and both were fantastic, the S still is just brilliant!
I suggest you ask BMW to deal with your problem whilst it's under warranty.
I know a lot of happy K bike owners and not one has had what you're describing
Just so we have all the facts....how many miles/kms has the bike done and what fuel are you putting in it? These bikes must run on high octane fuel only!

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

Last edited by K-Man! : 10-05-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:59 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the rexxer idea I may well try that

On the other reply, I did ride a K1300s Motorsport before buying
But not the new one I bought

I rode two demonstrators about 6 miles months apart, the first ride I felt it displayed really terrible handling vague , unstable and not a patch on my ohlins rear shock Blackbird .
But as I liked the look of the msport my local dealer persuaded me to try again suggesting that the first was badly set up with perhaps wrong tyre pressures and I sought to replace
My 2005 Blackbird with a better sports tourer

On second demo the handling was much better , not perfect but with character I could get used to and there did not seem to be a problem with throttle blip on downchange, so I went on to buy

If there had been this throttle problem I'd not have bought the bike as on the way home in wet conditions entering one corner expecting engine control from throttle blot which bogged the revs it almost had me off as it ran wide and took all my experience to get
Speed off and round the bend

I was quite shocked at this and had the bike picked up and returned to BMW but they tested it and said there was nothing wrong with it and the throttle response was normal for this models d there was nothing that could be done

But researching after the fact I found it was not an uncommon problem but raising this with BMW their response was to not accept that anything was wrong and that I just had to rely on brakes and not count on usual throttle on downshift because it's set up at factory with throttle response which does not blip at certain speeds as it needs to meet emission regs in Europe and so no they would not have the bike back even although it did not perform as well as my poor old Blackbird which was by then sold , wish I'd never let it go

I use standard unleaded fuel , not tried the higher octane
But as I'm stuck with this I'd try anything to cure the problem but to be honest I really few it's up to BMW to pay for the fix as it's simply not safe or fit for purpose and I can't use it with my pillion wife as I'd not put her at risk from a bike which has unpredictable throttle

It's done less than 1000 miles and it's been parked up and unused for months now
As I am at an impass with BMW and the dealer who seem to be in denial that there is anything wrong and do not seem to want to pay to have it fixed

I am reluctant to just sell it on as a dog to some unsuspecting
New owner as I'd not want that on my conscience

I've asked BMW premier dealer in London where I bought the bike
For a price for them to take it back but twice this request for a price has been ignored

I feel very let down and will simply not buy a BMW bike ever again as the customer service and technical response has been terrible and my confidence is even lower as
I found all the web posts describing the same fault I experienced and reporting the costly fixes possibly invalidating the warrenty which owners have tried

I will have one more go at BMW to get a fix and if no success it's up for sale and I will perhaps deploy social media to see what other suggestions are out there and or as a warning to other unsuspecting owners as these bikes while no more are made will be around for a while

I guess it will be back to my k3 gsxr for now having lost my Blackbird in the deal to get what turned out to be a massively disappointing bike which promised so much more
Old 10-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Hey Stuart. Do you have access to a gopro or action camera? If you could make a video of whats happening we can help work it out, before you loose all faith in this incredible piece of machinery.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 10-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,543 Times in 3,221 Posts

Stuart:

So that I have this straight in my head - when you downshift you do not have any or little engine braking is that correct? When you roll off the throttle the rpm's drop off and don't recover for a lack of a better description?

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for that , don't have a camera that can video this
I am afraid

Bruce et al what happens exactly is say riding in 3rd and wanting to select second to have higher revs for control in corner , I blip the throttle to get higher recs to smoothly hitch up in second gear . What happens is twisting the throttle results in the revs bogging and so the revs don't increase so you can't then select second as if one did the revs would be too low and risk locking up the rear

This happens in wet especially but it also happens in the dry, first time it happened I was on way home from buying the bike motorway was fine but first A road corner I came to the engine bogged and to get control back over the bike entry speed I was forced to brake far too late as no throttle feathering was possible , it was a case of late brakes which loaded the front when
Into the corner which meant running wide as had to stand the bike up then get off the brakes and hustle the unsettled bike round the corner, had lots of bikes and am a past IAM senior observer so know what I am doing and not had any of my other bikes respond like this it was a bit of an oh oh moment sadly BMW seem to think nothing is wrong hence my search for answers or suggestions

I've spoken to several k1300s riders who seem to have similar experiences but ho seem to be happy to brake early then change down on flat revs
To take the corner as it's not possible to hook the lower gear at revs which allow immediate smooth change with drive which can be feathered to variable throttle input to give smooth control approaching and in the bend

It's a riding style compromise I'd not choose to make as it gives far less control than is ideal

Thanks for advice so far
Old 10-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,543 Times in 3,221 Posts

Stuart:

First of all I completely understand your frustration. Many times on my KS if I pull the clutch lever in to downshift and I don't do it very quickly the rpm's drop like a rock and as you have described the throttle does not come back.

I'm not saying it is right - because it isn't. What I have been doing and I think I've have gotten used to this because of my RR having the pro shifter no clutch for shifting.

I just down shift without using the throttle - yes I know if you are at very high rpm's on the KS this can be a little tricky - but what I have found is you can just down shift from say your example 3rd to 2nd gear even at pretty high rpm's without and rear wheel excitement.

Go out and try it on a straight stretch of road - you will have a lot of engine braking and your throttle will be there.

Again I'm not saying that your throttle is working correctly - it isn't - but it is in the world of BMW and the way they have it mapped for fueling and emissions.

The KS has unbelievable engine braking - I think this will do the trick and you will get on with owning a fantastic motorcycle - even if it is somewhat eccentric.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Stuart I understand the problem. I traded my Blackbird for the BMW and regretted it for a long time. My biggest problem with it was the lack of suspension feedback. Engine braking seemed to be lacking too. I found that I had to adjust my riding style. The BMW and Blackbird are different machines, I couldn't ride them the same. Spend some time on it, I did and learned how to ride it, smoothest ride so far. I do miss my Blackbird and would love to have one in the garage just to look at!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Many thanks on the Blackbird experience

BMW at last called me in response to my complaint to the dealer and customer service and it's going back in to be assessed so hopefully they can fix it and remap or what ever it needs
Old 10-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Head Up Knee down

when i got my '12 K1300S it had much of the same symptom. First things were first i changed the levers on the bike (hated the stock levers, i know has nothing to do with throttle response) then i spent the next couple hours adjusting the two throttle cables until it was perfect. I found there was WAY too much "slop" in the throttle at stock setting. now i get to choose if i just blip on the engine brake (without clutch) or coming in heavy on a turn and just want higher rpms i can't quick blip with the clutch as much as i want.

It was 100% the throttle cable and return cable tensions that made the difference. I was fortunate to have a k1200s sitting in the same garage to compare it to (different throttle cable setup on the two but i loved the reaction in the k1200s and wanted to match it)

It took me some decent time to make the throttle perfect for me but it was all done within an evening.

From a responsive feel if using ESA i generally run my shock setting on sport with luggage to get some extra stiffness out of it. I agree that ohlins have much more adjustment but no way am i tossing out perfectly good shocks. I am just making adjustments as i ride to get it perfect. be sure to get the "sag" set correctly on the bike for your weight.

Good luck hope you find the solution.
2008 K1200S Tri Color / Power Commander III Quick Shift *rebuilt title (wife's bike) (sold)
2002 Silver K1200RS M-sport Roundel (sold)
2005 GSX-R 600 *sold to buy the k12s

Web Designer / Internet Marketing / network marketing
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jasonb4' for this post:
Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Good thought on the throttle cable adjustment Jason. Mine had been way off, and once adjusted, made a big difference. That's something that could easily be out of whack from the factory.

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I have a 2015 MS and my throttle is hair trigger sensitive. Very little input required, almost too sensitive.........
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Surfer' for this post:
Old 10-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Thanked 1,442 Times in 816 Posts

Stuart I am very surprised that you are using standard unleaded fuel. The manual clearly states the the bike requires 98RON. 95 gives about a 10% decrease in power and 91 [standard unleaded here in Australia should not be used. Perhaps your octane ratings are different but I'd definitely give 98 a go as a starting point

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 10-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi I found the same issue with my k1300s I asked the dealer twice to adjust the slack out of the throttle but they cant there is a 15mm or so slack in the throttle and not being used to it ,my previous bike zx1400 with a power commander and full micron system the response was instant, however it is just compensating for the slack and after a while i have got used to it and no longer notice it ie slight blip of the throttle to a slightly bigger blip or when you grab the throttle take the slack up in your original grip
Old 10-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scdh
Many thanks on the Blackbird experience

BMW at last called me in response to my complaint to the dealer and customer service and it's going back in to be assessed so hopefully they can fix it and remap or what ever it needs
Stuart. That's good news that bmw is going to try and help. I know exactly what you mean by lack of throttle response compare to other bikes. It is a characteris tic of theses bike. May I offer a couple suggestion. 1. Definitely switch to high octane gas. 2. When getting ready to shift, don't go completely off throttle. 3. When you blip the throttle, do it with authority. These things have helped me match the revs during downshifting. Regard.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
Old 10-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Twisted Wrister

I am with Capt on this, running low octane fuel will cause all kinds of problems.
I run Chevron Supreme. There is a difference in additives in gasoline and Chevron Supreme runs the best in my K12 and K13. I tried some 102 octane and think it was even better, but 102 is hard for me to get.

Have you noticed any difference in response due to ambient temperatures? Many K13s owners complain of throttle problems in hot weather that goes away with cooler temperatures (50F and below).
Old 10-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks to bobby , capt and DoA, like a lot of blokes I don't read manuals in blind belief
That I can somehow work things out , the fuel advice will be explored at BMW and when I get it back

The issue happened first on a cool wet day but it's also done it in warmer days
I've experimented with big assertive handfuls of throttle and also normal but it on a random basis just Boggs down

I have listed to BMW all the suggestions and what I've tried

So hopefully it will get sorted as soon like a lot of the bike features and ilmberger belly pan is on the list if it gets sorted to add to the hugger

Many thanks guys

Stu
Old 10-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Getting up to speed

I think this is the problem I had last month in the pyrenees. It was the first trip since buying in July and I had real problems on hairpins. On the plus side if the trip was done on my old zzr11 I think I would have been in real problems.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Twisted Wrister

Sounds like a dyno session might answer some questions.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Site Contributor

good luck Stu. let us know what you find out.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
Old 10-05-2016, 04:42 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Will post what BMW say Bobby...so far no news

BSA bantam at age 15
Gap years
Suzuki 125 trailie learner
Triumph 900 Tbird
Honda VFR
Suzuki DR 400
Honda Blade last of carb ones
Ducati 996 SPS
Gsxr k3
Honda Blackbird
Ducati 996 R

Now in the garage
Aprilla 250 RS track bike -still got it
Gsxr K3 bought back - yea now with carbon wheels
BMW K1300s msport - jury still out
Caterham 7 Supersport race spec - self build
Old 10-05-2016, 05:18 AM
Getting up to speed

I had exactly the same problem when I changed from the OEM exhaust to a Remus Hexacone. The problem was far worse with the baffle removed so I run the bike with the baffle in nowadays. Take the Akrapovic off and run the bike with an OEM exhaust - you can try out my spare one if you fancy a trip down to Gloucestershire.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Twisted Wrister

I've simply not ridden mine hard enough long enough to try that aggressive style in hairpin turns yet. However, my 2015 MS had some throttle issues that I've mostly solved. At least I'm no longer unhappy with it.

For me, the problem most often manifested itself in two ways:
-stalling off a stop, often doing a left turn in traffic...
-significant throttle delay getting on the gas, at low rpms, plus a flat spot around 5000-6000.

First thing I did was to take out a fair amount of throttle slack with the cable adjustment. That helped quit a bit with low-speed driveability. (Incidentally, the dealership put a bit of that back in at the first service.) Be careful that turning the bars to full lock doesn't rev the throttle if you've taken out too much slack.

Second thing I did was to install a Boosterplug. That took out about 90% of the rest of the problem. The lower the rpm, the more difference I feel. Takes a lot of that mid-range lag in full-throttle acceleration out also. Fuel mileage unchanged, but bike feels much more refined now.

This bike is big, heavy and fast for hairpins. Last thing I need is the engine delaying and then over-accelerating in tight curves. The above mods make it much more driveable and didn't cost much.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Hi Stuart,
I have been reading this post and I know its a while old now but was wondering if you ever reached a solution?
I also swapped my Blackbird for the K1300s and couldn't believe how much better it was in almost all aspects. I also had the exact same problem as you and after a trip back to the main dealer they found that a small rubber hose, situated under the fuel tank on the right side, which blanks off an unused pipe into the intake,had come loose. As a consequence air was getting into the inlet and causing the bike to run lean. They put the rubber blanking pipe back on and secured it properly with a clamp and it has run perfectly since then.
It really is the best bike I have owned.
Hope your problem was sorted.
Colin
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Daddiator' for this post:
Old 11-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thank you Colin

I was just getting nowhere with BMW Park Lane but from
This site I took the advice to buy a Booster Plug from
Denmark and BMW agreed to fit it for free to acknowledge
All the hassle I'd had , thankfully it worked and
I can blip the throttle pretty much as normal

It's now a nice bike to ride and I can now get used to it after
all the early disappointment , while it's back now it took BmW 5 weeks
To deal with this and quite poor communication pity I had to
Make the running but at least in the end they listened

Thanks to all the owners who made suggestions as to how to
Fix this
Stuart

BSA bantam at age 15
Gap years
Triumph 900 Tbird
Honda VFR
Suzuki DR 400
Ducati 996 SPS
Gsxr k3
Honda Blackbird
Ducati 996 R

Now in the garage
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Scdh' for this post:
Old 02-02-2017, 06:50 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

Unsettling as it removes control over revs when setting up for corners and makes the

I have asked the dealers and the response is an unhelpful , that's the way they are
In my view it's just unsafe to ride and the dammed thing now just sits in my garage unused

I am
Asking if anyone has a solution. To this issue, I've been told a powercommander sorta this out but at £500 it seems a lot to fix a throttle response

I get no response , they can't do enough to sell you the bike but seem incapable

And to my mind the k1300s Motorsport is a massive disappointment as despite its looks

Perhaps they might suggest if there is a factory fix which won't cost me &500 to fix their problem which to my mind is a significant safety issue as the lack of throttle control to match speed with revs almost had me off the bike ifirst time I rode it in the eek when new out of the box on my way home

I find it strange many riders have not noticed this anomaly, I have a 2015 M/S version that does just the same and is such an irritation I fitted a slipper clutch!!!
To a greater or lesser extend they all have this glitch that if you are used to better response it is a real pain and spoils the ride especially if it's on a really good windy road and your having fun or a track day when there will be lots of rear tyre hopping on down shifts. A remap at Hilltop helped slightly but he said he couldn't do more and was aware of the problem. His explanation was he thought the air box pumped up a bit on the over run and when the throttle was blipped the fuel injectors were not able to match this gulp of air as the injectors are dry on the over run to meet the regulations.
My friends identical bike is the same and other riders on here also agree too.
It also seems the higher the gear and obviously the speed the worse it is making Hilltops explanation a possibility.
My fix with the clutch was VERY expensive and should not have been needed but then BMW seem unwilling or unable to fix the long running problems on these great bikes.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello thanks for that comment on the K1300 msport throttle blip issue
I can report that I found a solution by installing a booster plug sourced from the original
Designer based in Denmark
It cost about £120 or so and on fitting , actually by BMW FOC because it had been such
A pain of a fault on a new bike ,

The result was for me completely normal throttle response in blipping from different gears and al different levels of throttle and road speed

It was on this site I found the suggestion so thanks to those who suggested it

It's now a matter of waiting for slightly better weather and less muck on the roads

BSA bantam at age 15
Gap years
Triumph 900 Tbird
Honda VFR
Suzuki DR 400
Ducati 996 SPS
Gsxr k3
Honda Blackbird
Ducati 996 R

Now in the garage
Old 02-02-2017, 01:36 PM

Good news on getting it sorted Stuart.
Now you are where I'm at; wondering when I can ride again.

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 02-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

👍🏍👍

BSA bantam at age 15
Gap years
Triumph 900 Tbird
Honda VFR
Suzuki DR 400
Ducati 996 SPS
Gsxr k3
Honda Blackbird
Ducati 996 R

Now in the garage
Old 09-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

I am

My friend and I both bought new bikes same as yours and both suffered the same problem, it just won't blip unless you give it loads of throttle which upsets the braking. We had them both remapped which made them both run better but only helped marginally whith downshift blipping....... I fitted a slipper clutch, Paul put up with his. A power commander will make no difference....... as BMW will say "THEY ARE ALL LIKE THAT" and they are, just like the vibration problem, they do sod all about it. I find the attitude towards customer complaints on a par with Ducati.....useless
Old 09-02-2017, 02:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the further info and sorry to hear you had the same problem

I solved it and BMW park lane service dept actually agreed to fit the booster plug which I sourced from Denmark

The booster plug completely removed the blip issue and the booster plug company
Told me that they have supplied many BMW dealers with their kit

The cost was a modest one about £130 if I recall and no need for
More expensive clutch / etc mods

Check out Booster plug original manufacturer and I'm sure you will be pleased

BSA bantam at age 15
Gap years
Triumph 900 Tbird
Honda VFR
Suzuki DR 400
Ducati 996 SPS
Gsxr k3
Honda Blackbird
Ducati 996 R

Now in the garage
Old 09-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Twisted Wrister

Brentune solved my "blip" and off idle problems. On really warm days (over 90 deg F) I still get some imperfect throttle response. But on those days I get too hot in full leathers so I don't ride hard.