I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: NEW POLL: GT Survey
Traded/sold another BMW model for my K12GT 193 34.10%
Traded/sold a non-BMW model for my K12GT 129 22.79%
K12GT is my first and only motorcycle (1st time riders or those getting back into sport) 46 8.13%
K12GT added to my existing bike stable without trade/sale 132 23.32%
I looked and test rode a K12GT and may consider one 22 3.89%
I have no interest in the K12GT 45 7.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 566. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: NEW POLL:How'd You Get Your GT

I bet the rear end is not as likely to wash out on that cruiser as it is with the GT. On my way to work every morning I pull out into an intersection of a 4 lane non-divided, when I start executing my left turn I hit the white crosswalk line in almost the same place every morning. The back end slips out a wee bit and always gets my attention. Needless to say I am a bit more judicious when it's wet.

Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of speed traveled over ground.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Getting up to speed

I hit a Moose and wrote off my Honda Goldwing. At the time my wife was working at a BMW dealership and employees got one bike a year at dealer cost. I used the insurance money (full replacement cost) and bought my GT.

I won't give any hints as to what dealer cost was as that was part of the staff pricing agreement. I will say it is not as big a savings as some of you might imagine
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Shooting the gap

Send a message via MSN to BryanHerron

I totaled my RS and used it as an excuse to upgrade!
Year round, if I survive.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Getting up to speed

I found it and rode it home like crazy.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Getting up to speed

I traded my 03 LT for my 06 GT last August. Have only put about 7000 miles on it in the last year but I intend to do better this year.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Been riding a 1992 K75s for 6 or 7 years (love this bike, BTW) and wanted something a little more modern. Last year I picked up an '06 GT. Had it for two months and got T-boned on the way home from work. Car and bike both totaled, but I walked away after a trip to the OR (and a hell of a headache for a short while). After two months without a GT (and not once riding the K75s that is sitting in the garage) I found a beautiful '08 GT with only 1100 miles on it, still under warranty. So I bought it. It's an addiction, I'll freely admit it.

"Hello, my name is Rob and I'm a GT-aholic."
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Getting up to speed

There is a GT-holic anonymous class that you can go as well if you want. It is a therapy after all .
Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I think I went to that class...at Irv Seaver BMW, right?
It's hard not to get hooked on the GT, it does everything so effortlessly! When I first bought it, I kept turning a 3-mile ride home from work into a 35-mile adventure...and an explanation for my wife when I showed up.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Picked up an `05 Rt in `06, but it never quite fit right. Sold it in November 2010 and picked up my `08 GT.

Mike
Rock Hill, SC

2010 K1300S
Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to mrlajoie Send a message via MSN to mrlajoie Send a message via Yahoo to mrlajoie

I picked up my '03 GT in '06... Put 60k good miles on her before trading her in for the '10 GT. Hoping for a great season this year....
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Getting up to speed

I'm slowly but surely get more and more worried......

With what am I gonna replace my (still almost brand new) K1200GT one day...??
Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittelin
I'm slowly but surely get more and more worried......

With what am I gonna replace my (still almost brand new) K1200GT one day...??

Replace it with a Space Shuttle that outa work!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magastos2
Replace it with a Space Shuttle that outa work!
... and you thought a BMW motorcycle was high maintenance...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to captstevens Send a message via Skype™ to captstevens

Attachment 18162CIMG2799.JPG
Sold a 2010 FXSTC to a customer at the Harley-Davidson dealership where I work part time, My boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I bought It # 7 in the fleet. and the seventh BMW I have owned so far!!
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge 1200, 2009 Harley FLTRI, 2008 BMW K1200GT/4!! 2012 R1200GS. And have just re-acquired my old 1975 R90S that I put a turbocharger on in 1978!!!!! Also a new acquisition just bought a 14' R1200RT-WC, addendum!! Traded my '75 R90s Turbo for a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S: my friend the gm of HD of WV WANTED it for his personal collection, so what could I do????
OK,Ok, I need Profesional Help, I admit it!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 AM
Banned Spammer

All of the previous GT's didn't make it to the showroom floor being delivered directly to new owners. Saw it sitting there kind of looking for a home and I went for it.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I've been a fan of the GT since the intro in 06 and always figured it as a candidate to replace my 94 R1100RS when the time was right. Well, this past January the time was right and the right bike turned up. I got an 08 GT with full options on it in the dark blue I wanted. In late February my wife and I drove out to Victoria from Calgary and hauled it home. Got to work on it adding all the accessories and was ready to go this spring when the longest winter in years finally went away. So far I've added nearly 5000 kms to the 15,000 that were on it. I should easily get another 5000 or more on this year. I'm loving this bike
Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Started off on a KE100 when I was 11 or so, just riding trails around behind the house. Graduated to a KL650 which worked for my first year or so in college, then bought a GSXR1000 when I was 19. Rode that till I got married at 21, sold it due to buying a house, and trying to "be responsible". Couldn't stay away, so 3 years after getting married, got a 90's GSXR750 for cheap and got rid of it within a few months due to the previous owner putting a shortened Yoshi can on it which was stupid loud. Bought a 2004 R1150GS and loved the BMW feel, Servo ABS and all. After a year, I was planning a cross country trip with my folks who ride a goldwing, and decided to sell the GS and buy a 2006 Goldwing last year since my wife was coming with me. Was an absolutely fantastic bike for the tour, and incredibly practical for my 60 mile commute, but I never found myself wanting to just "go for a ride", and I rarely went above 4K RPM since I felt I was working it hard. I know it's bulletproof and could probably run at 6K all day, but just didn't feel right. I realized I was merely going places, instead of enjoying the ride itself.

Sold the wing and just bought a 2006 K1200GT, and rode it 700+ miles in about 22 hours (including 7Hrs sleep). I've found the right bike for me, assuming it doesn't die on me... Needs a windshield and maybe a seat (although I felt ok just standing on the bike about once an hour or so, and adjusting my forward lean angle), and probably the APE manual tensioner, but other than that I'm really happy. Love the pull of the motor, reminds me of the GSXR1000 (although not quite as fast), the brakes are strong, and my wife even likes the backrest that the 49L trunk provides even more than the Goldwing backrest, so

I can deal with a failed final drive in the future (although I don't want to) but I'm not gonna be happy if the engine craters. I'm hoping it's as rare as it looks, and the hysteria is just the internet blowing things out of proportion.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Site Contributor

I started out my riding career a bit late in life at 48 yo with the MSF course and promptly found a beautiful Honda Nighthawk 750 and really got the bug. I am 4 years into that bike and it is still a fun ride. I kept it for a companion bike for my sons to ride with me. My '07 K12 GT came to me through a fellow rider on this site and we sealed the deal last Thanksgiving. Needless to say this has been a great summer. My decision to move to the GT came after I had a chance to ride a friend's '08 GT last year after seriously testing the R-RT and R-GS models. Though new to the sport I think I have my long term ride. Hope to see other GT riders out in the mountains of Maine and New Hampshire.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Loved my 1999 R1100RT, but got a bit boring around town, since I don't tour long distances any longer. A riding friend bought a 2004 K1200RS, let me ride it for an afternoon, and I was hooked! Smooth as a turbine, no more clunky shifting, as fast as you want to go!
So, my search started for a clean, original, low mileage 2004 GT (wanted a bit more comfort than the RS) and after 6 months and looking at close to 100 bikes, I settled on my Dark Gray/Green beauty and it's the best bike that I have owned in 40 years of street riding! Yes it's heavy and tough to move around in the garage, bu oh that power....oh those brakes!
Biggest challenge thus far, is finding a front tire that won't cup after 1,000 miles. Any and all recommendations appreciated!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Site Contributor

Congratulations on the GT. It is a great bike.....I had an RS for many years and wish I would have kept it. I "traded up" and have regretted it ever since. I had problems with cupping on Bridgestones and Dunlops. Had no cupping problems with Michelin or Avon. Not many riders go with the Avons but I use them exclusively now as they wear well and I like the way they handle.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 PM
interacting

Had an '02 K1200RS for five years. Started using Michelin Pilot Road 1 after cupping problems with Bridgestone and Dunlop tires. Moved to Pilot Road 2's when they came out. No cupping with either tire at 40-42 psi. Need to watch tire pressure closely.***************************************************M dMn***
Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRog1
I started out my riding career a bit late in life at 48 yo with the MSF course and promptly found a beautiful Honda Nighthawk 750 and really got the bug. I am 4 years into that bike and it is still a fun ride. I kept it for a companion bike for my sons to ride with me. My '07 K12 GT came to me through a fellow rider on this site and we sealed the deal last Thanksgiving. Needless to say this has been a great summer. My decision to move to the GT came after I had a chance to ride a friend's '08 GT last year after seriously testing the R-RT and R-GS models. Though new to the sport I think I have my long term ride. Hope to see other GT riders out in the mountains of Maine and New Hampshire.
I was in the mountains of NH/VT last weekend. I'm planning one or two more days before the end of the year!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMaRider
I was in the mountains of NH/VT last weekend. I'm planning one or two more days before the end of the year!
Greetings KrisMaRider,
We usually head up from the Portland area through Fryeburg, North Conway and then north through Crawford Notch or west up and over the Kancamagus Pass. Hope to see you up there sometime. It never gets old. Keep the rubber side down.
Chris
Old 01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My GT story:

I've been on two wheels since I was 7 years old, thanks to my Dad being a rider for years. I owned several Hondas and Yamahas growing up and through my younger adult life. Got married and had kids, and bikes were not practical at that time. So, I took some time off.

Riding aquaintances have always told me that if I ever rode a Beemer, I would not want to ride any other. I never really thought what the big deal was...after all, what could be any more fun than a Honda CB750 on the open road?

In 2006, the kids were at the point where they were no longer a valid excuse to not own a bike, so I set out to look for something. Didn't really care what it was, as long as it was clean and low miles. The wife liked to ride along on occasion, so it figured to be a road scoot. Found a '96 R850R in the local paper- great shape and 10,000 miles on the clock, and brought it home.

I instantly knew what the guys that had Beemers were saying: This sure was a completely different (and wonderful) feel! Had that bike for 5 years, and added a Corbin seat, GPS, and side cases, trying to make to make it into something it really wasn't intended to be. It was a GREAT solo ride/commuter, but was not particularly comfortable two-up for any real distance.

Summer of 2011, the wife says outta the blue: "...we should think about getting a bigger bike that is more comfy if we are going to do longer rides...."

I say, "....excuse me?......uhhhh.....OK!" So the search was on.

Now, I don't ride hundreds of miles a week like some of you guys, and I also like to commute with my bike. I didn't want something as big as an LT, so I wasn't totally sure which direction I would go...I just knew it would be a BMW something. We test drove a 2007 RT with low miles at a Harley dealership. We both liked the ride, but the place wanted way too much (in my opinion) for the bike, and also insulted me by offering me $1500 in trade for my pristine R850 with 25,000 careful miles on her (I wouldn't think of doing business with them after that little offer!).

So, a guy here in town that runs an auto repair shop has an '06 K12 GT, and after hearing my story, talks me into riding his and checking it out (mind you, he insisted that I bring my wife down and we take his bike for a couple three hours ride to "get a good feel for it"). He was not interested in selling his, but wanted me to be able to experience the bike on my own terms. I wasn't too sure about a K bike, because I had fallen in love with the boxer set-up. 10 minutes down the road changed that in a hurry...Holy cow!!!

I logged into CycleTrader that evening, and found several GT's all over the country. One was right next door in New Hampshire. I called and asked to come and see it, we set it up and I was all set to have a look later in the week. He calls me the night before and tells me he has someone from Virginia set to buy his bike sight unseen, and asks if I am really interested in his bike. I tell him I am not sure til I see it (I am quite picky about my bike's condition), and I tell him to sell it if this guy is that hot for it. I ask him to call me back if it falls through....never heard from him again.

Bummed out, because the bike had possibilities of belonging to me, but I kept looking. A week goes by, and I see a new listing for an '06 GT with 12,000 miles in North Carolina - and the price was GREAT - almost too good to be true! I call, and learn that I am the first caller. Dave explains he has been riding mostly Beemers for 40-plus years, and, at 73 years young, is looking to get away from bigger bikes that have the forward riding position due to his back. I ask him about the bike's condition, and tell him I would love to see it, but am not sure how I would get down there. He says, in his southern gentleman's drawl: "I'll take $500.00 off the price if you buy it so y'all can afford to hop on a plane and come on down" He also informs me that he'll hold the bike for me to see - no obligations!

To make this long story a little shorter, I'll just say that the wife and I got on a plane later that week, flew to Greensboro, NC, where Dave picked us up, and we drove the gorgeous GT home (900 miles in the midst of 100 degree heat, no less...it was BMW rally week). Spent about 5 hours with Dave and his wife Dawn while we were in Greensboro, and felt as if we had known them for years. What wonderful folks!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

PS: Sold my R850 to the first person that saw it for $4500.00 later that month.......($1500 in trade.....yeah, RIGHT!)
'96 R850 R
'86 Honda VT500C
'80 Honda CB750K
'80 Yamaha TT250
'76 Honda CB550K
'76 Honda CB360
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'twosbrs' for this post:
Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosbrs
Dave explains he has been riding mostly Beemers for 40-plus years, and, at 73 years young, is looking to get away from bigger bikes that have the forward riding position due to his back.

Spent about 5 hours with Dave and his wife Dawn while we were in Greensboro, and felt as if we had known them for years. What wonderful folks!

Scott,

Your "GT Story" is so well told. Enjoyed reading every sentence and paragraph.

I sure can relate to Dave being the same age - and it does seem all of us guys in the "Tweener Generation" are "nice folks"! [g].

Glad you're really enjoying the GT; and, it's fun reading how riders like yourself eventually arrive at the decision to seek out these K-GT's.

Miles
Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Rode Harleys , all my adult life , never paid any attention at all to anything that was a non harley ( really i aint joking, no interest at all ever ) then last year in March 2011 , saw for the first time ( well noticed , more like ) a bronze K1200 GTSE and thought , WOW, thats a cool looking motorcycle , looked at a few , picked one , sold my HD , and was riding my own GT by Mid May 2011, didnt do any research on them, just went on gut feeling - fast , efficient , plus they look the dogs as well. Happy days. Ok so now i know servicing is expensive and there are a few issues, but what motorcycle doesn't have FD's that die and cam chains that want to blow you engine to pieces, idle issues,battery issues,mapping software issues, brake sensor issues ABS issues and dealers who think you owe them a living gotta laugh aint ya... ( holy shit , what the hell have i done ...)

“The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny
Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Postmeister

Why is the poll only for 1200 GT's? I got my 1300GT off Craigslist. 1100 miles on the clock and 100 miles from home. 14K miles later says I like it. I like my HD too. Split riding time. Hope to sell the GT and get a 1600 GT next year.

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Getting up to speed

The previous owner of my K was my brother in law. On a cold December day he rode bitch ( LOL ) on my Harley to take delivery at BMW North in the Woodlands, Houston. The bike was not ready when we got there so I took him over to the Ford dealership to pick up his Mustang from routine service. The bike was still not ready when we got back to the BMW dealer. So we waited. I see why this particular dealership went out of busness. Nobody had a clue about the bikes workings. So we sorted through the owners manual and finially decided that we had most everything working. But my brother in law was so concerned he asked me to ride the bike home for him. He ended up putting about 56K on the bike. Unfortunitly he crashed while on a ride in Mexico. The Mex. insurance company wrote it off and offered for sale what was left. Thats where I came in. The crash damaged the valve cover and scratched it up pretty good. It took me about two years working on the bike inbetween other projects but it is running now. A work in process, still a few things to sort out.

Here she is in all her glory in downtown Houston:
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Better late than never

I bought mine from the estate of a good friend who committed suicide. It was a way of honoring him. I got the bike of my dreams too. He is missed as he was an incredible human being.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I sold my '05 R1200RT to a guy in Houston who has turned into a good friend. We learned our daughters were sorority pledge sisters at The University of Texas. I also sold a '03 K1200GT to a friend I knew in Austin. I had just bought it in Phoenix and rode it back to Austin. I rode it for maybe a month.
The gentleman in SC that I had talked to for over 3 months about his '07 K1200GT dropped his price drastically. I could not pass it up. I flew over the next week, paid him and rode it back to Austin. For about 6 weeks, I owed 3 BMWs. By Thanksgiving, I was down to my current '07. The SC seller and I are friends and keep up with each other. Still trying to get a ride put together. My current bike had 40k miles on it when I bought it 10/09. It is about to turn over 74k. This is my 5th BMW - 2 R-bikes and 3 K-bikes. I bought my first one in 2005.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Getting up to speed

M-johnson:
How has the reliability been after 74K?
The usual failures, ABS and TPS?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Maintain an extended warranty. I have been thru 2. Front shock, abs. Just did the cam chain drill on my nickel - $600. Still like the bike. If you bitch about the expense to own, you bought the wrong bike, go buy a Honda VFR.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-johnson
Maintain an extended warranty. I have been thru 2. Front shock, abs. Just did the cam chain drill on my nickel - $600. Still like the bike. If you bitch about the expense to own, you bought the wrong bike, go buy a Honda VFR.

Was I bitching? Sorry.

I think for the advertised superiority and initial salesprice of the BMW line, cars included, these vehicles have too many systemfailures that other similarly equipped less expensive vehicles do not have.
What happened to the front shocks?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

No you were not bitching.
The ESA electronics went out. Actual shock was fine. BMW does not make them separate, so $1,500 later it was fixed. Extended warranty covered it. That happened at about 60k miles if memory serves me.
Good luck. Like I said earlier, I like the bikes. This is my 5th BMW.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

traded my FJR1300 for my GT and got £500 more than I paid for the FJR =
http://68.178.194.211/gallery/data/5...g_pepper-1.gif
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Send a message via Skype™ to lazeyjack

well I purchased mine site un seen from australia the bike was in san francisco and it was everything as described
it is an 07 first registered 08 it had 20,000 clicks
and now has 25
at the end of this month I will sell it again
as I will have finished my americantour
it is still registered in his name so it will be a two owner bike still
Old 04-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Cycle Therapist

I looked at the KGT & KS and was more impressed with the S, so I baught it . . ., Sorry, its just more fun and I've never looked back (except to see where the GTs are). Sorry.

02 R 1150 RS
02 K 1200 RS
04 K 1200 RS
07 K 1200 S
08 K 1200 S
10 K 1300 S
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM
Getting up to speed

Talking Re: NEW POLL:How'd You Get Your GT

I sold a new version Triumph Bonneville on Ebay for 1K over what I paid for it and took the cash directly to pickup my 08GT and lovin it, even with all its personality.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Pete, congrats! Enjoy!

Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of speed traveled over ground.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Sold an '06 FJR1300 (plus tons of other stuff I owned but didn't need , all through eBay) and found this one thru eBay as well.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Getting up to speed

Traded my 2007 F800S for my 2007 K1200GT.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Sold an '06 Yamaha FJR1300 on ebay, bought an 'o7 K1200GT with 7K miles from ebay seller.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I wanted to get my wife onto the bikes, there was no way she would hop onto the R1, so I devised a plan to have a touring holiday in Europe.
I got the bike from a BMW dealer, at this point she was a little unhappy at me having three bikes. I explained this was 'our' bike, we hit Europe and she loved it, planning Italy next summer.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,769 Times in 2,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyTownsendman
Sold an '06 Yamaha FJR1300 on ebay, bought an 'o7 K1200GT with 7K miles from ebay seller.
Randy, how about a quick comparison of your FJR and your KGT?

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

Currently Receiving Intravenous Sedatives and Rides a Pussy Bike with Pride

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 PM

I'm one of those long-time ST1100 riders. This past year I got the bug to try something new. I was originally in the market for an FJR, but the K1200GT kept coming up on all my searches, so I started looking into it, and then made the fatal mistake of riding one. I was hooked before I got to 3rd gear. It doesn't have the visceral grunt that the FJR gave me, but for my riding, it's a better overall package.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via MSN to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip

This thread goes back a few years. I am sure I voted on the poll ,but being a new member, it looks like I didn't make a post about why I choose a BMW 2002 1200 GT. I wanted a BMW and had narrowed down my choice to an RS, GT, or RT. I had never ridden any of my choices. The GT and RT seem to fit my riding style best. I couldn't find a RT in my price range in my area, unless I got on plane and flew somewhere and then having to ride or ship it home site unseen was not what I wanted to do. Fortuntelly I found a 04 GT 90 miles from home that had an bit ove 9k miles and in great shape for $7k. Maybe I paid a few hundred bucks more, but I was able to drive there on a January day in 2012 when the temperature was 57 degrees and couldn't be happier with my choice. What a great bike and so many great adventures in the last 2 years. A lot of posts here helped with my choice and I couldn't have done better. I can't wait till the 2014 riding season begins because of all the rides we have planned. The BMW rally in St. Paul, the whiskey/moonshine run trhough TN. and the Beer Runs to the Micro Breweries in NY, CT. VT, NH, MN and Mas. By the way you can do all these trips and stay right in town or at the breweries and not have to worry about driving drunk. What a great marketing plann. Oh yea, they have great food and they are bike friendly.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Entering the on-ramp

When my Triumph Trophy got hit and totaled I traded my Thruxton in for an R1150RT, then traded that an '07 K1200GT, rode that for awhile, Traded that for a FLHT, realized my mistake and traded that for my beloved R1200GS, rode that for a couple of years then lost my mind and traded it for a Heritage Softail. Dropped it after a panic stop and dislocated and shattered my ankle. While I was recovering I researched a bunch of different bikes but came back to either a GS or a GT. The GT was more comfortable and better suited to the riding I do now so that's how I picked up my '08 K1200GT

'08 K 1200GT (riding)
'09 R 1200GS (missed)
'07 K 1200GT (traded)
'02 R 1150RT (sold)
'79 R 100 RT (lamented)
'85 K 100 RS (missed)
'02 Triumph Trophy (KIA)
Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 AM
Getting up to speed

Just picked up my 2007 K1200GT SE today from a dealer in Hornsby (Sydney). Rode it home to Bathurst (about 190kms). Very good.

Regards

Garry

2007 K1200 GT SE - Road cruiser
1994 R100 GSPD - Any road cruiser
Old 05-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Angry Re: NEW POLL:How'd You Get Your GT

I got my k1200gt by mistake. I thought I was buying a dependable / well built motorcycle, But I found out later BMW as changed. They no longer stand behind there products (ABS failure) and refuse to accept they are at fault. I took mine to BMW of Ashville N.C. and they said ABS is not covered because it is not a have to have item (They said the brakes worked) Then when I asked about repair they said that it was a severe problem?
Take my advice stay away or boycott until they STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCTS AGAIN!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2015, 01:54 PM
interacting

Welcome to the "world of BMW". Check out the ABS failure threads*********MdMn*******
Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I got my k1200gt by mistake. I thought I was buying a dependable / well built motorcycle, But I found out later BMW as changed. They no longer stand behind there products (ABS failure) and refuse to accept they are at fault. I took mine to BMW of Ashville N.C. and they said ABS is not covered because it is not a have to have item (They said the brakes worked) Then when I asked about repair they said that it was a severe problem?
Take my advice stay away or boycott until they STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCTS AGAIN!!!!!!!!
Sorry for your ABS situation. My 07GT has been working well since got it at 15000 km. Now has 75000 km. No problem with it. ABS never failed. Other thing, prevented cam chain failure by starting gently and no racing of trottle till oil pressure got ok.
Regards
Charles H. Jacques
S1000RR 11 white/blue/red, 11000 km, awsome
Old 06-25-2015, 04:51 PM

Traded an '09 Harley Dyna Low Rider for my '07 K12GT. I want my Harley back!
Old 06-25-2015, 06:02 PM

What is it about the GT that doesn't meet your expectation?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo
What is it about the GT that doesn't meet your expectation?

Go to: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53967
Old 06-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Getting up to speed

I traded in my '03 LT for my GT that only had 1500 miles on the clock....

My LT was finicky with gas - I had to add Chevron octane boost all the time to get it happy; additionally, I lost a fuel pump during a long trip and was looking for a more reliable ride - saw the '07 GT with those low miles and an extended warranty - so I jumped on it -- the LT was also asking for a new clutch at the time.....

I have 53k miles on the GT and just replaced the clutch basket and had a few other problems that (gas gauge stip .etc) and BMW replaced the gas tank. I've been attentive to the re-calls and have covered my assets accordingly....

The GT is my daily rider - it still performs well and I don't have any big complaints - it has served me quite well. The GT still 'does it' for me - I love that motor/power - it's GREAT on the Pacific Coast Highway.

Additionally, every bike I ever owned required attention at one time or another - I rode enduro/motocross and learned early on about the need to be prepared -- sure wish I'd been carrying a fuel pump on the old LT when it puked in Nevada!

BTW, I had an '85 Sportster -- now THAT was a disappointment!!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Site Contributor

I was left a 05 S to sell for a friend,so I rode it around for a few months before it sold.Then I sold all my hay equipment and bought a 07 GT that was all sorted out with a power commander and air box fix.It's a bad motor scooter.Mostly I just ride it to church on Sundays.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Twisted Wrister

Don't forget..the "GT" was (and always will be).."branded" as the BRICK motor..so those who believe they have a "GT"..well..if ain't a BRICK, then it's a japGT....plain and simple...No BRICK, then NO "GT"..it's a "SuzKawaYamaHonda"..COPY!!!

As of JUNE-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,78,735mi.
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,53,265mi. To replace the '85
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 37,600mi.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Getting up to speed

Sold my '85 Goldwing wth 95,000 on the clock (still ran great, handled like s--t) for a 2,008GT with 3,400 miles in 2,009. has 37,233 now. Great bike except for the dealer cost for scheduled maintenance.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:07 PM
interacting

So do the maintenance yourself. 6K's are only an oil change, and check the fluids. I change my own tires. Never see the dealer but about every 12-15,000 miles.*********MdMn****
Old 11-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Getting up to speed

I'm mechanically challenged so I take it to the dealer for the scheduled maintenance. I figured I'll pay the dealer to do it right instead of me screwing something up. I've been ok with the dealers work, except for the $100. per-hour cost.......plus I don't have to buy the tools for the maintenance.......just ride and enjoy my GT!