I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Getting up to speed

AF-XiED question

So this weekend I'm installing a AF-XiED, a new battery and also new brass fuel connections while I'm in there. My question is does it matter that I'm going to disconnect the battery to swap it out which would reset the BMSK ECU learned maps at the same time as installing the AF-XiED? Or should I install the AF-XiED first, run it then install new battery. Don't know if any of that matters or not just thought I'd throw that out there...

Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: AF-XiED question

If you were just installing the AF-XIED without replacing the battery with a new one you would have to remove the battery and the fuel tank anyway to get at the connections. I can't see why replacing the battery itself would matter. BTW I was very happy with the AF-XIED when I put one on my K1200S.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Twisted Wrister

Make some small gauge jumper cables long enough to keep the battery connected even when out of the cycle. When I add an accessory to the battery terminals, I use small jumpers to keep everything powered while the leads are not actually connected to the battery.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 04-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
Make some small gauge jumper cables long enough to keep the battery connected even when out of the cycle. When I add an accessory to the battery terminals, I use small jumpers to keep everything powered while the leads are not actually connected to the battery.

Capital Idea! I do the same when replacing the Battery on our cars as well.

In the past is was a good idea to connect a 9-V transistor battery to the Cigarette Lighter Socket but most modern cars disconnect these sockets when the Key (Fob) is out.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Likes "S" bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthok
So this weekend I'm installing a AF-XiED, a new battery and also new brass fuel connections while I'm in there. My question is does it matter that I'm going to disconnect the battery to swap it out which would reset the BMSK ECU learned maps at the same time as installing the AF-XiED? Or should I install the AF-XiED first, run it then install new battery. Don't know if any of that matters or not just thought I'd throw that out there...

Thanks

It doesn't matter. No reset caused by battery disconnect. You'll be fine

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Getting up to speed

So took her for a ride today after the install...noticeable difference.
Easy...hardest part is getting the damn fairings off and on. Used velcro to stick the controller right on the battery for easy access.
Funny enough while I was disconnecting the plastic fuel disconnects one of them broke in half...I can't believe BMW uses cheap plastic for crucial parts like that I'm glad I upgraded them. I also tossed in a new battery.
Now the bike shifts smoother especially with the quick shifter - much less backfire. Throttle response is much improved...I think I need to clean and sync the throttle bodies to get it as good as possible. Didn't stall at all when I came to a stop today and the terrible flat spot from about 4-5500 (especially in 4th gear) is almost gone. I do think my old GPR exhaust is crap though I'm betting the bike would run a bit better with a quality Akra or Remus can instead. Overall - worthy upgrade for the money highly recommend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.jpg (47.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Getting up to speed

Edit - researching it looks like you can't sync throttle bodies. Is cleaning them something the dealer does (i.e. not really a DIY deal)?