I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Shooting the gap

Ignition Key

Good golly I picked up my new to me bike today.
Its something wonderful it really is. I imagine I could find fault if it had any that were apparent to me.

But I have only one key....and cannot locate one even to gauge price availability.
I imagine its some chipped device?

Oh well I am sore as hell and quite excited to finally get my hands on this.
I passed everything on the road and am in need of a radar detector.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,405 Times in 3,136 Posts

Re: Ignition Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafkaKaffe
Good golly I picked up my new to me bike today.
Its something wonderful it really is. I imagine I could find fault if it had any that were apparent to me.

But I have only one key....and cannot locate one even to gauge price availability.
I imagine its some chipped device?

Oh well I am sore as hell and quite excited to finally get my hands on this.
I passed everything on the road and am in need of a radar detector.
Calvin:

Go to your local dealer they can get one for you. Bring proof of ownership.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote:
Good golly I picked up my new to me bike today. I passed everything on the road and am in need of a radar detector.

Wise man!
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Shooting the gap

Well the dealer os 100 miles away does anyone have a part number so I can gauge the price?
Damned seat I cannot latch it after removal it has a plastic fake carbon piece over it. Very odd.

Thanks btw

Oh and the wee odd little flap on the engine left side above the shofter that looks like a socket what is that?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

I'd suggest too phone your dealer, may be able to scan your ownership papers (proof that you own the bike) and email or post said papers too dealer.

Key will cost about $80-100.

Flap by shifter is a 12 volt power outlet rated to 5 amps.

Reading your owners manual will be very educational, as in, how too turn your park light on!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Shooting the gap

Oh thanks dug and found part number on bikebandit had not been their for years due to prices
SO ueah gonna cost a bit called guy that sold it to me hes looking, Whats odd is it has two alarm fobs on the one key so go figure that one?

Took off seat no owners manual but found one on a dubious website in malayasia of all places.

Actually the speeds I was going 120-140 kmph were cozy no buffet to speak of but my head is definitley in clean air and the old shoei rf1100 is getting pushed back

Im pretty sure I never got over 6000 rpm in my exploits the bike is shockingly easy to ride for its weight. I had given far too muh credence to what many complain about and not enough to the good things people post.

Now to find a higher windshiled ah lifes good the arthritis does not hurt so bad today
Old 04-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Shooting the gap

Welcome to the POWER Calvin.

I got my '11 K1300S last August and ordered the BMW Maintenance/Repair Disc from Amazon (BMWNC7721680) right away. Glad I did because it's got tons more info in it versus the Owner Manual. It can be installed on up to three Windows PCs.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Shooting the gap

Power is not the word Im stepping up from a 65 HP at 10500 I4 550
its 6 degrees c here and I want to go for a ride but my body is aching.

Why cant I latch the darned seat?
And why does the rear brake have so little bite? I'm sure it engineered that way. My old bike has a rum rear and it will lock.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:00 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
... Damned seat I cannot latch it after removal it has a plastic fake carbon piece over it....
Tip: press down on the passenger section prior to turning the key and the seat will remove with ease. As for pressing down on the carbon cover to latch, dunno.
Quote:
Oh and the wee odd little flap on the engine left side above the shofter that looks like a socket what is that?
That's a socket.

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's a power plug, but only 5 amps. Here's a Powerlet link showing some things it can be used for. And congrats on the new to you ride !!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Shooting the gap

Well I figured the seat cover out. It looks pre drilled and the holes at the rear are not spaced properly.
This causes the cover to strike the clear plastic part of the tail light directly bebeath it.

This was never addressed by PO as he simply left the screws at the rear out.
No idea what contortion trick he used to latch seat though.

It coming off and getting done right when the sun shines.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
And why does the rear brake have so little bite? I'm sure it engineered that way. My old bike has a rum rear and it will lock.

You know Calvin I typically apply the Rear Brake Lever to shave off speed in a decreasing radius curve. In this use case it's actually very good that the Rear Brake is "soft" versus grabby.

Almost all the rest of the time I only apply the Front Brake Lever since the Partial-Integral Braking System applies all 3 Brakes (both front calipers and the rear caliper) when only the Front Lever is pulled.

Lastly, if the ABS is Active neither the Front nor the Rear Brake will allow locking up either wheel. The owners manual explains how to dis-engage ABS.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Shooting the gap

The Ienatsch trick! Um I am used to slightly favouring rear due to pogo effect of 35 yr old telescopic suspension.

This new bike has awesome brakes when you use both, I had no idea there was a level of integration.

It just keeps getting better.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
<snip> Now to find a higher windshiled ah lifes good the arthritis does not hurt so bad today

Several comments --

The key is laser cut and chipped - if you need a replacement, aftermarket sources could be a problem.

Owners manual - BMW Motorrad USA should have them in .pdf format on their site.

Horsepower - I hear you. I went from a 50 HP BMW R65 to K1300S. What a "power trip."

Windscreen - if you are looking for a taller windscreen, check out the MRA Touring windscreen (available through Twisted Throttle and other websites). I switched to one, and I like it. Also, if you have arthritis problems, you may want to consider changing the ergonomics with riser bars or peg lowering kits, depending your need. There are a number threads here about riser bars.

k_enn
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'k_enn' for this post:
Old 04-14-2017, 04:15 PM
Shooting the gap

SO I ventured into the cold and brought in the seat.
The manual shows how the cover is instaalled and clearly the person who did this one messed up.

The holes are about half an inch too low.
I may have to buy another seat though as there is not much room to drill another set of holes.
Uses rubber threaded inserts.