I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-08-2017, 03:31 AM
Entering the on-ramp

High mileage?

My 06 GT turned 70,000 km this past weekend. It has spent its life as a form of 'vacation home' in Europe, so it does a lot of high speed cross-continental work, 2 up.

Just about everything which has posed issues for other KGTs has also affected my bike, but I have luckily never been stranded. The list includes the expected rear wheel flange cracks, fuel pump leaks (all fixed under recall along with the cam chain tensioner and cam chain guard). Non-recall work includes a broken exhaust cam(!), coils, centre stand and clutch. The bike has an appetite for tires, brake pads and batteries.

The abs pump has stopped working twice in the last 5 years, once in stop and go Madrid traffic on a hot day, once on the Futa pass (last week!). Both times it was a bit of an unpleasant surprise but rectified itself when the bike was switched off and on. A new pump may be in my future, as may be some suspension work.

While the bike has been good for 2 up touring, it is a bit of a pig on smaller roads so I am considering either replacing it (S1000XR or Multistrada) or keeping it and just getting a smaller 2nd bike for local rides (maybe something like a Hypermotard SP). As we now have a place here I can do more 'local' riding and less of 2 weeks living out of saddlebags.

The choice is driven by how much life is left in the K. While age can be as much of an issue as mileage at some point, what mileages have people reached with the slant 4 bikes? I once saw a running K75 with over 400,000 km, so some BMWs can last a long time. I figure 100,000 km should be possible, but 100,000 miles (160k km) perhaps less so.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: High mileage?

Um, if you keep up with repairs/maintenance it will last for as long and you want to keep throwing money at it. I know this doesn't answer your question but you understand what I mean don't you? OTOH, I seem to recall reading that some K1300S have over 100k miles and still going strong.

Secondly, these bike respond wonderfully to raising the Rear Ride Height via a set of aftermarket Rear Suspension Riser Plates. The handling improvement is nothing short of awesome!
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Where do I get riser plates from? Interesting idea. Never heard of that.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMH
The abs pump has stopped working twice in the last 5 years, once in stop and go Madrid traffic on a hot day, once on the Futa pass (last week!). Both times it was a bit of an unpleasant surprise but rectified itself when the bike was switched off and on. A new pump may be in my future, as may be some suspension work.
A number of members here have gone way over 100K miles on their K bikes and I'm creeping up on 75K myself. If you wind up keeping the GT and your ABS module goes out, consider Module Masters to repair it for you. Waaaaaay cheaper than buying a new one from BMW which is what I & many others have done.. That's what I did and that was 3.5 years ago.

When you're ready for new shocks, here's a couple of threads if you want to do the work yourself... it's totally doable.

Aftermarket shock install tutorial

ESA shock rebuild ideas

As for riser plates, our member Beech can fix you up. PM him with questions.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 07-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Where do I get riser plates from? Interesting idea. Never heard of that.

Well firstly do a search on the Forum under K1200/K1300 S/R. You'll find that Members who do this Mod report more nimble handling. It raises the rear ride height and thus makes a steeper steering angle.

They're sold by various aftermarket companies. Also you'll find that "Beech" sells them in the iBMW classifieds.

Lastly, I had some made by a Machinist friend for my K1300S and I have 3 extra sets to sell for $40/pair. I'm making zero profit at this rock bottom price. I currently have 6825 miles on my set and completed a 4700 mile trip in the Western States last month. They raise the rear ride height 10mm. Some Riser Plates raise it higher, like 25 or 30 mm, but I wanted a more subtle change.

I'd also recommend running 38 PSI on the front tire versus the OEM 35 PSI. You have to try this to see the improvement in handling as well. Do a search on Tire Pressure as well.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Here is another source:
http://www.schwabenmax.de/index.php?cat=KAT179&product=BK-BK13
By the way, I now have 104,000 miles (167,000 kilometers) on my K bike and it is fine. New used drive shaft, couple of sets of ball joints, new shocks all the usual stuff that wears out. Oh, and quite a few tires. If you decide to loose the K bike, a good two up tour bike for Europe would be an RT. Much cheaper to maintain and plenty of fun. I do have plates, but I believe I have made my last batch. K bike parts are declining in demand.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the info and sources.

When I calculate the small residual value of an 11 year old K-GT with high mileage, it may make more sense to just keep it and buy a used second bike if 100,000 miles are a possibility.

The higher front tire pressure is intriguing, I know it flops into corners with less than the recommended pressures. I will try that. I guess the recommended 2.9 bar rear tire pressure would remain the same?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
I guess the recommended 2.9 bar rear tire pressure would remain the same?

Yes.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:38 PM
interacting

When I bought my '07 K1200GT, and then did some research I never thought 100K was possible. Now I am moving in on 90K and the bike is running wonderfully, since the timing chain and ABS fixes. Looks like 100K is entirely possible (knock on wood!).*******MdMn**
Old 05-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Getting up to speed

Just rolled 90,500 on my '07. I have been having driveability issues lately. Had the ecu updated. Ran better than EVER for 600 miles and now it's back to hard engine braking, twitchy throttle etc. It hasn't been hot here but I don't know what else to do at this point.
Have a new style airbox coming tomorrow (used).

I have new clutch pack sitting in the garage (1st one), and my abs pump has been out for about 8 months. Probably go to module masters for that.

Have had all the recall items done and think it's a great bike. Now if I can get another 90k out of it, wouldn't that be something.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Getting up to speed

I've been having the same thoughts and decided to hold on to my '07 - it's still a monster and I've replaced the clutch and my Module Masters ABS pump has been working great for the last 10K miles...

She's got 65k miles on her and going strong - I'm going to make at least one more long trip on her and decide from there....

My GT is still, hands down, the best BMW I've owned -- I'm going to do the canisterectomy and need to spark the fuel strip and get that back to normal....
Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

How about just getting a new fuel strip installed all for free at the dealer. Warranty.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.