I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > BMW R-Series
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

BMW R-Series Discussions of the Boxers EXCEPT the GS/GSA

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Getting up to speed

iABS III issue

Hello everybody!

I own for just a few months an R1200CL/2004.
Recently the well known ABS lights appeared on board indicating a problem. Still, the power brakes worked fine, so I did not pay too much attention... until I had to brake hard.... The next moment I felt like "no brakes", but lucky me I had enough distance in between, so stopped in time.... I looked in internet about this and found a lot of articles about iABS III (like mine) going bad in time for not changing the brake fluid in time...
I do not have a GS911 to read the codes, so I took it step by step...
First flush the system... which worked well until I got to the rear wheel circuit. For this one the ABS unit did not provided the required presure... So now I know the problem is in the rear circuit of the ABS.
I also know that this iABS III is not rebuildable (at least this is what many say...), but I want to give it a try... I called first Module Master and found that they keep saying they will start fixing this kind of unit in a few months... I read in forums that the same answer is from 2015...so I do not count on them...
I also disagree with people who dismantled the unit just to "clear" the unit... But I agree that somebody have put together, can be parted and, hopefully, repaired.
So, I started a project to try and repair my ABS unit (I do not embrace the idea of ABS-ectomy...).
First I pulled the unit from the bike... Than, thanx to a member in a forum, I managed to unscrew the T20 torx screws, for which there is no tool on the market, by using a hammer and forcing the tool to enter the screw's head.
Opened the cap where the electronics stays. At this point I felt a powerful smell of burned plastic... My first thought was the drivers of the motors could have been burnt, but on the board all seemed to be OK.
On closer look, on the rear of the motor for the rear circuit I saw metal dust... WOW!
My best guess is the motor for the rear circuit went bad, but I want to take it out and inspect it. I do not want to test it while it's still mounted, for not knowing the outcome (it may brake something else...).
I add this picture with the phase of my project:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...camera-abs.jpg

Now, my questions:
1. Does anyone knows how to take out the cylinders from top (they are the coils for the pistons on each circuit). I do not want to use force, but to take them out without breaking anything...
2. What steps are after 1 in order to take the motor out (again, without affecting anything else...).
3. I wanted to unscrew the in-out ports where the filters are (to clean them if dirty), but I need first to take out the two reservoirs. I took out the screws, but the plastic top does not appear to move... Any advice?

I really hope for some help....
P.S. I have found some pictures with different phases of dismantle an iABS III uploaded on this site> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/393853929893993188
Unfortunately, I could not find the articles using those pictures... Maybe I could find some advice there... Did anyone know the addresses of those articles?

Any advice welcome!
Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,096 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy
Re: iABS III issue

If RFK doesn't respond soon, send him a PM....he'll know your question and offer assistance.

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 08-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Getting up to speed

Smile Re: iABS III issue

I would be also interested in a donated ABS broken unit, so I can cannibalize it or test the way to dismantle it....
Any donors around?
Old 08-06-2017, 11:06 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

I have one from an LT...should be similar? It's heavy though...where are you? Maybe complete your CP

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 08-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Here is an image of the ABS (was installed on many BMW models):
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...2005-2009-.jpg

I live in Arlington VA (near Washington DC).
If you are so kind and donate the unit, I can pay the shipment or return the costs (whatever suits you better).
I will be on a vacation for a few weeks, but I will keep contact with the forum.
Here are two images of my actual unit, as it is now:
http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1502037109
http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1502037109

I read info also in other forums (Germany) or look on youtube, but nobody showed the steps of parting out such a unit. On German forums I found the advice NOT to part the unit only for the sake of taking it to pieces, but only what is necessary to reach your goal. Some things inside the ABS unit are better left unopened, for they need adjustment or sealing parts (new).

I intend to use the donated part to make a small film with all the steps needed to be done...
So, maybe I help others understand better this system and repair their own units...
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHOTO1.jpg (850.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO2.jpg (861.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

i-ABS. Comes in two types. Vertical modulator for the Ks. Horizontal for the Rs.Yours sure looks like them modulators the GS guys removed right and left at one time.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 08-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Getting up to speed

The unit I am referring to is horizontal on all bikes I saw it.
They were Rs and Ks....
Examples:
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/19/02/87/95/110.jpg (R1150RT)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127483...4/18629332669/ (K type)
Mine is a R1200CL...

For my defective motor I am expecting to find inside something like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ade12--abs.jpg

Chris
Old 08-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Ks with the brick engine.K1200RS/GTs up to last year of production in 2004 and LTs(?) up to 2009 have the vertical I-ABS modulator.

2004 and up should have the "energy conserving" software built in. Apply rear brake and once pressure builds up the rear servo motor will stop.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 08-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Getting up to speed

Tnx, but this thread is intended ONLY to my model/built, as shown in the pictures.
I do not intend to cover other models/builts.
When I asked for a donated unit, I was referring exactly to the one I pictured, for I intend two things:
1. Make a tutorial for disassembling this kind of unit (only)
2. Find matching parts to replace my defective ones.
If the unit looks the same as mine, I do not care if it stays vertically or horizontally.

Chris
Old 08-06-2017, 06:43 PM

R forums for a donated unit?Not a lot of Rs on here but the boys on ADVRider in the GS section were sure removing them horizontal I-ABSs a few years ago. Garden ornaments and door stoppers now?

Motor? May be available new. If the same between vertical and horizontal modulators as I suspect check the sticky thread:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35998
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Getting up to speed

Hello everyone!

I AM happy!!!! With the help of Flyboy, who generously donated me an ABS unit very similar to mine, I started a documentary about parting out the ABS unit to the pieces, so I can find the defective part and repair/replace it.
I have just finished the dismantle of the ABS that I received, so now I am on the way to continue dismantling my ABS unit.
As soon as I finish, I will post my comments and the link of the film I've made.
Once again, Billions of thanks to Flyboy (Paul)!.

Chris
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Yupeee' for this post:
Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Looking forward to your results! Mine is TU right now too. Waiting on MM to get on line with these units. BUT if you happen to resolve this issue on your own and make it work again, I'm all in for doing it myself.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicK1200S
Looking forward to your results!

Be sure that I will!
Now I have another issue.... After viewing the recordings, I see that my camera had too poor image quality, so I am looking for an action camera (4K) to purchase and use it for this (I needed it anyhow, to upgrade the one I have).
Then I will repeat the process of parting out the unit (even if it is already done). Nevertheless, I do not, for obvious reasons, repeat assembling my unit, so I just stopped until I get the new camera.
So, even if I can't wait to ride my beemer again, I will postpone it that just for doing this documentary to help others solve their issues with their iABS III. And not to forget, to honour Flyboy, who donated his unit to help me...
I will be back! ( )

Chris
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Yupeee' for this post:
Old 09-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicK1200S
Waiting on MM to get on line with these units.

Oh, and I forgot... I did too contacted MM and they came with the same message as on their website... "in a few months we will solve our contractor's issues and we will resume the repairs on iABS III units"...
Really? That is the same for a couple of years...The last post regarding successfully repair of such a unit is from 2012 (did not find anything closer)... So, do not put too much hope into that...
I know also that was shared in posts another firm from Germany, but shipment is quite "teuer" (expensive) and not in all cases they got back a functional unit.
So, just for short, opening a BMW ABS unit is not rocket science, so anyone with technical skills (and the right tools), can do it.
This is what motivated me to do the documentary... Anyhow, do not blame on me if you brake something or affect in somehow parts that provide a specific adjustment in functioning the ABS system. More on that on my documentary...

Chris
Old 09-21-2017, 02:41 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Well need to enter your documentary in the Canes film festival

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yupeee
Oh, and I forgot... I did too contacted MM and they came with the same message as on their website... "in a few months we will solve our contractor's issues and we will resume the repairs on iABS III units"...
Really? That is the same for a couple of years...The last post regarding successfully repair of such a unit is from 2012 (did not find anything closer)... So, do not put too much hope into that...
I know also that was shared in posts another firm from Germany, but shipment is quite "teuer" (expensive) and not in all cases they got back a functional unit.
So, just for short, opening a BMW ABS unit is not rocket science, so anyone with technical skills (and the right tools), can do it.
This is what motivated me to do the documentary... Anyhow, do not blame on me if you brake something or affect in somehow parts that provide a specific adjustment in functioning the ABS system. More on that on my documentary...
No worries, no blame from me if something breaks. I'm used to damaging my own stuff!!!I learn lots from it.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Overmaintained

Yupeee the images you found on Pinterest were from my account, I have been collecting images of broken units and people that have tried to fix them.
Most of those images were from a French guy who autopsied his i-ABS unit to find broken parts.
I have a K bike and an R bike both have i-ABS (horiz and vert - one of each) and I have spare (supposedly working) units - one of each - bought off ebay primarily for when either of my units expire.
I flush them every year and no failure yet, but my bikes only have 30K and 50K kms on them now.
I'd be very interested in your finding and videos when you release them.
Keep up the good work.
https://au.pinterest.com/beemerdrone...-k1200gt-pics/

'04 K12GT ...... '04 R11S
Previously
ZZR1100D4, CBR1000FL, GSX600FL, GS250FW, RGV250VJ22, GSX250
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandS888
Yupeee the images you found on Pinterest were from my account, I have been collecting images of broken units and people that have tried to fix them.

Good job! I came to them by accident, looking for images of the iABS III unit on the web.
Now I see (from your link) a lot of other interesting images!
I saw also that French film on youtube, but they skipped a valuable information: where did they obtain the sealing sets (o-rings) from or their dimensions to search for alternatives.
As I said, it's very hard to find spare parts...but at least we can try to find replacements...
I will mention that also in my documentary...

Chris
Old 09-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Overmaintained

I just picked up an R series (horizontal) integrated ABS servo unit from Yahoo Auctions (Japan) for $100.
It said in the translation that it was removed from the bike "because of worry".

Perhaps it may work, but thats not what I bought it for, this one will be pulled apart and studied, and perhaps reassembled and tested.
Im particularly interested in the commutators on the DC motors, which cause the FETs on the electronics board to blow when overloaded.

It will be a while before I get to it, but I couldn't resist it for 100 sheckles

Previously
Old 10-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Getting up to speed

Hello, everybody!

I'm back!

I did the documentary about parting out the ABS unit and reassembling, and I will soon post the film ( I need some time to edit it....).
Nevertheless, I have found only part of my issue and now I have to figure out for the rest.
First, as expected, after took it to pieces (thanks again, Paul, as your unit served as testing the procedure), I could find the motor for the rear circuit worn out.
Changed it with another one from the donated unit, reassembled it, but at the bleeding procedure, surprise! Rear circuit worked for a short time, than nothing...
Took out the unit, opened again, but only the computer case, and saw the two wires from one solenoid, rear circuit, were squeezed by the frame... Yet, nothing (I mean the electronic components) appeared to be blown out. Installed on the motorcycle, and yes!, it worked! Did the bleeding, closed everything, than took it for a spin to see how the brakes work... Rolling was ok, ABS light went off, did some brakes and I could feel the ABS working.
My joy was not for a long term....
Now, the issue: After a few minutes, the ABS light popped on rapidly and general failure steady. Stopping the engine and restarting had no effect (not resetting the ABS) and, what was more, when pushing the foot pedal, no servo sound.... Only when using the hand lever...
Yet, when pushing any lever (hand or foot), I had brakes (so, no residual...)
Very strange! And against any logical explanation....
I remember also that at some point, when I did the bleeding for the rear wheel circuit, the servo kept running, even if I freed the pedal. I just reseted the ABS from the ignition key and everything came back to normal.
Now I think that something has happened with one or more of the electronic components (could be a heating issue), maybe that triggered from the beginning the failure of the rear motor.... and now i have to dig deep into this....
At least, I know that the rest of the ABS (I mean the hydraulic part) is working good.
I'll try to switch the computer board from the donated unit, but not sure if that will work, for it came from a different make of BMW.
I'll keep you posted for the outcome.
Till then....

Chris
Old 10-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Getting up to speed

Hello everybody!

The story goes on...
Next day and the day after, I checked the initializing of the ABS system (key on), and, voila!
No issues...
I will take it out for a spin and see how it reacts to driving...
I still have my thoughts about the electronics...
Meanwhile, I shared on youtube my first video, regarding some advices for those who dear to open an i-ABS III unit...
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73gctUzUqM

Others will follow soon (still editing)...

Chris
Old 10-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Overmaintained

Well done Chris, keep going, watching with interest.
Roland

Previously
Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Getting up to speed

Ouch!
I tried to start it today and....another surprise!
The battery had no enough power to crank the engine....
Note: I replaced the battery with a new one, because the previous owner put a bigger size battery in, and chopped the battery support for that... I did not like it, so I bought and replaced the battery support and, of course, I bought another battery (BMW size) to fit.
Even if the CCA is less (270A instead of 340A), it should provide enough juice for start (and it did, while first tests of rolling the motorcycle in the garage for ABS functionality).
My mistake is I did use it as it came (no further charging), and, while testing and bleeding the ABS unit, I used it at all times, even when I did a short ride in the garage... It seems it was too much for the battery (it came not completely charged, as I see...) and not enough time to charge with the engine started...
Now, I have to take out the gas tank again and (just got the idea) will install a cable with a connector accessible from the side (where is a panel that can be easily removed). This way, I can either charge the battery or use a jumper cable to help it crank, when necessary...
I will make a short video on that, too...

Chris
Old 10-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Getting up to speed

Hello everyone!
I have some news...
First, I uploaded on Youtube the first part of my documentary, in which I show how to disassemble the ABS unit. I used for this video the donated unit (thanx again Paul!).
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_ysMMzCAU

Second, my first attempt to fix my ABS unit failed. For some reason, I could not get rid of the errors in ABS's function. I was inclined to think of an electronic component that had a thermal malfunction, but I looked into this (after taking out my unit again...) and two things ringed by bells:
- when I bleeded the unit, I saw that the rear (command) circuit did not take out the air completely (was always just a little more left...);
- after looking on internet again, I have found an excerpt from the service manual from BMW where was indicated that the bleeding of brake circuits must NOT be done with vacuum devices... And I did it right with such a device...
So, my best guess (after taking apart the unit again...) is that the rear command circuit had a "bleeding issue", generated by the improper sealing of parts when I put the unit together.
That is why I decided to inspect very carefully the sealing o-rings and even replace them. Tough job! Eventually I could find o-rings that I hope will fit and ordered them (I wait for them now).
Meanwhile, after more than two months of not riding the motorcycle, I came also with an "emergency plan": how to adapt the brake circuits to "classic", just for the duration of working on ABS. Similar to ABS-ectomy, but not for giving up on ABS, just for enable to use the BMW with minimal "invasion" in the braking system.
The only "adjustment" is the direct connection on front system from the lever to calipers (I need only a few copper washers) and a piece of brake line from rear pedal to rear caliper. This one (on my R1200CL can be acquired from a non-ABS R1200C as a "perfect fit") can be easily produced with a little tubing, two metric M10x1.0 nuts and a bubble flare kit from any auto-parts shops). This is what I'm going to do next (already ordered).

At the same time, I will do/update other videos and mark them here with links, when they will be uploaded on Youtube (next will be "Reassembling the ABS unit", "Jump start your BMW", "Details on components in ABS unit - orings"... and so on...).
See you soon,

Chris
Old 10-20-2017, 04:32 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Great video Yupeee! We'll make this a sticky and a stand alone thread!

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Overmaintained

Cris, please make sure you list all the sizes of the 'O' rings and where you sourced them from. Great work, following with interest.

Previously
Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Guys! I did it!!! My ABS is back to life again!!!

This time I did the bleeding " a la carte", so total success!
I filmed along the procedures, so I will post soon my findings.
About the o-rings, this is still under way... I received the ordered ones, but two out of three sizes are close, but not a "fit". I will post what I did and I will try other sizes from the same provider, until I "hit" the right sizes... Not for me, but for all who want to solve themselves this nightmare of unit...
Stay close!
Now I can ...

Chris
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Yupeee' for this post:
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 AM
Overmaintained

Well done Chris.

Previously
Old 10-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Getting up to speed

Hello, everybody!

I did the most videos that describe my work with the ABS unit, so now it's the time to share them with you...
Here there are (in some chronological order):

1. BMW i-ABS III Things to know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73gctUzUqM

2. BMW i-ABS III unit - issue and approach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLQ362yHnUQ

3. BMW i-ABS III How to dismantle the unit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_ysMMzCAU&t=2726s

4. BMW i-ABS III unit reassembling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSijb4SPUp8

5. BMW i-ABS III unit - install and wrong bleeding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmqXL_ysD18

6. BMW i-ABS III unit - bleeding the circuits - the right way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5sJjnHPv2Q

While doing the work on the ABS unit, I had to tackle with other topics, which are:

7. BMW R1200CL Fairing removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-ZDf1GWHs&t=276s

8. BMW R1200CL Power jumper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnAn-ztF1Y8

9. BMW R1200CL Charcoal canister removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7HjOyUnvgw

As a "bonus", I add my ride on Memorial Day, when I rented a Harley, just to make as much noise as I could....

10. Rolling Thunder 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X0US29wCR8&t=900s

Last, but not least, I will do another video, like an "epilogue" to the ABS story, in which I will present the source for o-rings that I have found, a personal interpretation of the i-ABS III function (in order to understand why a unit fails to work) and a summary of possible causes that could lead to ABS malfunction.... Sounds promising, isn't it?

And, remember: this ABS unit is used on a lot of BMW motorcycles, so my finding are applicable also for them, with an adjustment regarding the placement of the unit, the accessibility of bleeding nipples, the trace of the brake lines, the placement of the reservoirs, and so on...

I will also gladly answer any questions regarding my work, to help you solve your issues with the i-ABS III unit...

Meanwhile....

Chris
Old 10-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandS888
Im particularly interested in the commutators on the DC motors, which cause the FETs on the electronics board to blow when overloaded.:

I am quite sure that is not the cause of blowing the FETs, but a simpler one: the motor is somehow in a short-circuit or under heavy current (load) for a long time. The reason for that? Plenty! One is a pressure issue (too low) in power chamber (where the pump is) and the unit tries to rise it (activating the motor), but do not reach the desired value and keep the motor in function until it fails... Another is obturation of channel to the pressure sensor, the unit will see the same low pressure, will act the same, with the same result... Not to mention the wear of the brushes in the motor, which will add a carbon layer on the collector, which will increase the current through the motor and blow the driver (FET)...
So, you cannot pinpoint the real cause until you take apart the unit and inspect it...

Chris
Old 11-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Getting up to speed

Well, folks, the story goes on...unfortunately...

Last weekend I did a "test" ride in Shenandoah Park, just to see how the brakes work now...
At the beginning (about 100 miles), everything ok, no issues... At the entrance in the Park, I stayed some time in line (and used the brakes more often, as it was a slight ramp). All ok...
I entered the Park and rolled about 10 miles when I came to descend a ramp. At that point I saw on my dashboard the "death red lights" (general failure steady, ABS fast blinking)... Tested the brakes, both worked well (servo was ok). I stopped at first overlook point and reset the ABS (key off). Restart - ABS init ok... Rolling... ok... A few brakes later (in curves, ramps), both red lights back on... Stopped again... left it some time (about 15 min), then restart... all ok... and red lights never came back...so I could enjoy the rest of the ride (but was monitoring at all times the dashboard...).
What occurred put me on thinking... what really happened? I have to add that at no time I was put in "residual braking", always the servo acted well...
Days later, I used the motorcycle for commute... Yesterday (Halloween...) the traffic was messed up, so I did a lot of stop'n'go and braking long times (when advancing on ramps)... Surprise! Red lights came back! I tried resetting the ABS, but at no avail...
When I reached home, I tried in a safe place the brakes (both individual levers)and I could see that I had servo at all times, the unit never placed me in "residual braking", but one "strange" detail: I could hear the front circuit ABS motor engaging when hand lever was pressed, but for the rear circuit the ABS motor was "on" all time...
Left it rest and today I checked again: ABS init cycle did not work (the same red lights "on"), the servo was ok, and again, pressing the hand lever activated the front ABS motor (and switching to "off" when released), but pressing the rear lever activated the ABS rear motor continuously (it did not stop after releasing the pedal).

Now, my assessments: It seems like my ABS unit had from the beginning another issue, and the bad rear circuit motor was only the outcome of it, not the cause... If you watched my videos, at some point (after first installation) I said I suspect a thermal issue of the electronic board.... Well, this must be the case, as all the facts direct me to this conclusion... Do not think about the pedal switch, that is ok, I tested it...
Long story short, Now I know that the mechanical part of the unit is working perfect, but the electronic board is not...
Worse is that the electronic component which is the culprit cannot be tracked down visually, as a "thermal skid" is only in effect while functioning...no "blown" parts and they all are ok when measured at "cold".
So, what I intend to do now is to use the electronic board from the other unit I have, to see if it's accepted by my ECU (as the donated ABS unit is from a K1200LT). Even if the two boards look the same, they could be different when functioning... I will see and inform you here about the results....
As a backup, I received also my brake line and fitting nuts, so, if changing the boards does not work, I will adopt the "classic" brakes, while I will find another electronic board...
See you later...

Chris
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Yupeee' for this post:
Old 11-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Getting up to speed

Ok, folks, what's new...

Here is another video I put on Youtube:
"BMW i ABS III unit - sealing parts" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYTcjEEzIQ

So, it's about sourcing the O-rings found on this i-ABS III unit.

What about my bike?... It's clear that the electronic part of the unit is not working well... I need to investigate more on this... Meanwhile, I took the lines from ABS unit out (except one) and now I'm doing custom brake "shortcut" lines to put the brake circuits on "classic".
This is just temporary, until I figure how to solve the ABS puzzle...
I'll be back soon...

Chris
Old 11-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Hello, everybody!

To make a long story short, after I disassembled (again!) my ABS unit, I have found on the electronic board of the ABS unit traces of brake fluid....
My best guess is that f...g brake fluid managed to find its way to the board (although I could not find any fluid inside the electronic top), and shortcut the board's circuits, thus making the command board to activate the motors in an unusual way...
So, this time I'm going to change all the sealing O-rings that I sourced meanwhile, and also to buy a BMW computer software for diagnose and maintenance to follow a "close to workshop"'s procedures (most for diagnose).
And, for I need to use my BMW, I took the decision of flipping the brake system to "classic", but only until I will solve the ABS issues.
That is why I did another video about this:
"BMW i-ABS III unit - flip to classic brakes" https://youtu.be/-614vYgA-zw

I hope you will enjoy this one, too...

As for my ABS unit, I am now in between a GS911 and a BMW software (based for cars, but works also for motorcycles)... The first is more compact, but less options, the last is more powerful, but more complex and needs a laptop... While I figure that, I will rebuild the ABS unit and I might just make yet another video about the way this kind of ABS system III really works. This is of a great help for those who want to figure out what could be wrong when you see some symptoms...
Until next time...

Chris
Old 11-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Getting up to speed

Hello, everybody!

The show must go on....

Due to the new disassemble of the ABS unit, I could get to the command piston, and this offered me the possibility of explaining how this system works.... and from there, how to pinpoint the issues and fix them...
So, I did also a short video on this topic, to offer a starting point to those who like to dig deeper into this, and you can find it here:
https://youtu.be/QtaGfubKy2M

I do not consider it to cover all the sides of the problem, but at least will give an idea of how to tackle with the functioning of the unit.

I have the hole winter to develop my next project, that is acquiring a diagnose system to get inside the "electronic brain" of the unit and even try to upgrade the system to the next one, the i-ABS III version 2. As mentioned in my video, this is a MUCH better and safer system, but changing hardware parts on a modern motorcycle, which communicates one to each other through a digital bus (CAN-bus), is not easy task and could be done only considering coding and programming the units....
I consider for this the ICOM NEXT adaptor with ISTA-D software. The GS911 has too limited capabilities and, to my taste, is also too expensive (for what it offers)...

Well... I'll be back....

Chris