I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Shooting the gap

Chin Fairing plastic crack near Kick-Stand

I noted the plastic LH Chin Fairing panel had a crack in it aft of the Kick-Stand pivot. I had added a Centerstand about a year and 11k miles ago. I'd trimmed the lower/rear Chin Fairing halves along the lines indicated when one adds a Center-Stand.

I repaired the crack before it broke in two. I used Goop Adhesive and a small strip of thin aluminum behind the crack to strengthen it. Hopefully it holds up longer term.

Maybe I damaged the Chin Fairing when using my Boot to extend the Kickstand?
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:19 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: Chin Fairing plastic crack near Kick-Stand

After installing the center stand that little bit of belly pan is fragile. Always take that screw out first if messing with the pan at all.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 09-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Twisted Wrister

Any kind of a nick or square corner in an area that flexes creates a stress riser where a crack will start. Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent the crack from continuing to run. Make sure the hole is at the end of the crack.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Shooting the gap

Thanks for the Tips Guys!
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.