I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-01-2018, 04:20 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,556 Times in 725 Posts

Final drive preventative maintenance question

Hi folks,

I had the 60,000kms (38,000 mile) service done last year and one of the things noted was that there was some some very slight play in the rear wheel....the mechanic suggested keeping an eye on it...I asked if I should just get the bearings done...he said well it would give peace of mind...he wasn't trying to pressure me into something that didn't done as I have a good relationship with them...I have a big trip coming up in May and have decided to get it done....he did say that there could be a "pin"??... issue that he won't know about until he opens it up.....I plan on keeping this bike forever...so I don't mind spending the money if needed to avoid spending big money down the road. Oh and I do have two years left on the warranty too..
I would appreciate any thoughts or experience with this..

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
Old 04-01-2018, 11:41 PM

Re: Final drive preventative maintenance question

Anybody?? Please...lol

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,434 Times in 3,153 Posts

Trevor:

If the bike is still under warranty this should all be covered. I don't keep the bikes long enough to typically experience this.

And since the bike is still covered by warranty I would have anything that was even marginally questionable repaired.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 04-02-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Trevor:

If the bike is still under warranty this should all be covered. I don't keep the bikes long enough to typically experience this.

And since the bike is still covered by warranty I would have anything that was even marginally questionable repaired.

It's not considered a "wear" item? Hmmm...I gotta talk to the dealer...never thought it could be covered...Thanks Bruce.

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 04-02-2018, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,434 Times in 3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf
It's not considered a "wear" item? Hmmm...I gotta talk to the dealer...never thought it could be covered...Thanks Bruce.
Brakes and tires are wear items final drive failure under warranty is something that should be covered.

When the tech told you he was not trying to sell you something I'm sure he didn't think the bike was still under warranty.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-02-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Brakes and tires are wear items final drive failure under warranty is something that should be covered.

When the tech told you he was not trying to sell you something I'm sure he didn't think the bike was still under warranty.

Not likely as he probably doesn't know that I purchased a 3 year extension on the warranty giving me 6 years unlimited warranty. Question is...will warranty cover "preventative" maintenance....

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 04-02-2018, 05:32 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

This question did get me to thinking, but, its a little like asking, how long do you think the alternator will last? Some are good forever, while another is shagged at 60,000....km's.
The only measurement I could find on my CD, was 1.5mm (about 60 thou) max, vertical & lateral movement. I'd assume this is at the bead edge of the rim, with the aid of a dial-gauge.

Ha, talk to the 'mothership' they'l probably recommend Kodak maintenance....let it develop...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 04-02-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
This question did get me to thinking, but, its a little like asking, how long do you think the alternator will last? Some are good forever, while another is shagged at 60,000....km's.
The only measurement I could find on my CD, was 1.5mm (about 60 thou) max, vertical & lateral movement. I'd assume this is at the bead edge of the rim, with the aid of a dial-gauge.

Ha, talk to the 'mothership' they'l probably recommend Kodak maintenance....let it develop...

I'm thinking the same....If it is covered under warranty if it goes and not if I do preventative I'm saving the pita of it maybe happening on a trip.
The mechanic had noted on the last service that there was slight play at the rear wheel.

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 04-02-2018, 04:42 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,182 Posts

As mentioned, slight play does not count, it needs to be a measurement. These bearings in your final drive are sealed ball bearings, not the preloaded type of previous final drives. Some play will develop. The 1.5mm is max and I would be upset at or above 1mm.
"Pin"..have no idea what your tech is talking about. My drive was 108,000 miles old this winter and I put a 4000 mile old one in just because. That wheel play has to be done with a dial indicator because the final drive bearings pivot and the swing arm bearings are involved here unless you take steps to eliminate them. Not unusual to find the swing arm pivot bearings out of adjustment at your miles. It is an easy maintenance item.
The swing arm and final drive pivot bearings should have zero play.
If your final drive bearing is only 1mm or less I would motor on with pleasure after consulting with your favorite tech of course. Free replacement is nothing to refuse.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 04-02-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
As mentioned, slight play does not count, it needs to be a measurement. These bearings in your final drive are sealed ball bearings, not the preloaded type of previous final drives. Some play will develop. The 1.5mm is max and I would be upset at or above 1mm.
"Pin"..have no idea what your tech is talking about. My drive was 108,000 miles old this winter and I put a 4000 mile old one in just because. That wheel play has to be done with a dial indicator because the final drive bearings pivot and the swing arm bearings are involved here unless you take steps to eliminate them. Not unusual to find the swing arm pivot bearings out of adjustment at your miles. It is an easy maintenance item.
The swing arm and final drive pivot bearings should have zero play.
If your final drive bearing is only 1mm or less I would motor on with pleasure after consulting with your favorite tech of course. Free replacement is nothing to refuse.

Awesome Beech! Thanks for weighing in here, I really appreciate it.
Itís due to go in Thursday so Iíll go in tomorrow and have another discussion with my guy. Btw my guy is very talented...originally from the UK... raced at a high level in the late 70s and 80s... mechanic at several Dakar races and was the mechanic on Charlie and Ewanís first documentary. And heís a nice guy. Was crazy about his experience with the show though.

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S