I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 PM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW
Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tail
ducati has used magnetti marelli for many years

many consider the engine management systems by magnetti marelli
to be the best bar none

might they have problems from time to tome
i suppose so

most will find that its usually an errant sensor
as opposed to major sytem defect .... "flash" or soft ware
problem

good luck with your new 1098

one thing is for sure
the fuel injection of a Ducati is considered to be superior to any BMW

2007 K1200GT
2011 R1200GS Adventure (now a SIDECAR RIG by DMC)

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Old 06-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Getting up to speed

The dealer ordered my new airbox and will be replacing it on Wednesday of next week. I was on my way home from work last friday and the idle problem started. Instead of going home I drove directly to the dealership and showed them first hand what was going on. The shop manager feels that the 9.1 upgrade and airbox will do it. If that doesn't then he will replace the ecu. That seems like a fair solution to me.

SKIZIKS for you to say that WE are not experts is fine but you need to understand that simply because your not having the problem doesn't mean that we are making this up. I just bought this bike two weeks ago and riding it in D.C. traffic is dangerous. When you get your bike up to 3K rpms and you let off to slow down and it's like you have cruise control on. So you end up using your clutch WAY more than you should. Oh and did I mention the jerky ride at when you let off the trottle? That's a joy too.
If your not having the problem...great...but your comments are less than helpful.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:55 PM
all right,then,i'll go to hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
one thing is for sure
the fuel injection of a Ducati is considered to be superior to any BMW

i'll second that motion

many motoGP teams have switched to magnetti marelli
& a notable honda drag race team has

as opposed to piggy backin EFI power commanders
that many have found actually muddy the waters

sure some have found relief from the EPA
mandated "lean burn" engine management
yet many have become frustrated

if you are having any problems at all
check your sensors First & foremost
its rare an ECU will puke its gutz
whereas an errant sensor because it works in concert
with other sensors that allows the ECU to make correct adjustments
will cause problems until vetted out & replaced

recent article in this months Motorcyclist mag
is still pushing all the aftermarket EFI
add ons................

maybe a $1500 exhaust !100 air cleaner
& a $650 ECU aint worth the frustartion
my Zebra couldnt run better

no mods... havent touched it
dont think i will

good luck

bimota KB2TT laser
harley XR1000
buell SW-1 white lightning
Ducati 888 "SPO"
Ducati 996 "SPS"
Z1R-1000

BMW K1200RS "ORCA"

FJR 1300A
Old 06-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarcher
The dealer ordered my new airbox and will be replacing it on Wednesday of next week. I was on my way home from work last friday and the idle problem started. Instead of going home I drove directly to the dealership and showed them first hand what was going on. The shop manager feels that the 9.1 upgrade and airbox will do it. If that doesn't then he will replace the ecu. That seems like a fair solution to me.

SKIZIKS for you to say that WE are not experts is fine but you need to understand that simply because your not having the problem doesn't mean that we are making this up. I just bought this bike two weeks ago and riding it in D.C. traffic is dangerous. When you get your bike up to 3K rpms and you let off to slow down and it's like you have cruise control on. So you end up using your clutch WAY more than you should. Oh and did I mention the jerky ride at when you let off the trottle? That's a joy too.
If your not having the problem...great...but your comments are less than helpful.

Darkarcher,
You said your bike is only two weeks old? I kinda thought this would have the new ecu fitted as standard. I have been trying to find this out for ages form BMW, but they never seem to answer emails of this sort. Hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Dave
Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman Murman
Darkarcher,
You said your bike is only two weeks old? I kinda thought this would have the new ecu fitted as standard. I have been trying to find this out for ages form BMW, but they never seem to answer emails of this sort. Hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Dave

It would depend how long the GT was in the dealer inventory. I believe the new ecus' started in Feb 07'.Not really sure.

Phil
Old 06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Postmeister

Exclamation Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

I think I am starting to have problems. Greg you said any ideas...yea... we start a class action law suit!!!!!! Surely there is a lawyer in our mist. How do I determine my production date?

Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Oh, good lord, David. A few days ago you were thinking of sending BMW - NA a thank you letter for your "welcome - pack"; now you want to sue them? One extreme to the other.

The bike is inherently a good bike; even a great motorcycle. We've all been dealing with these few nagging problems that negatively affect the bike that are very annoying.

As we've seen, BMW's approach to solving these irratations is equally as annoying as the problems themselves.

In as much as BMW - NA wants each of us to deal individually with our dealer, have you contacted your dealer? What is your issue(s) that have surfaced?

The fact that BMW - NA has posted on the high-idle thread at least indicates they are aware of the issue. They don't want owners with problems like this, either.

We can point a finger at BMW - NA not being more public with these issues, not being specific, not continuing the discount on the "new" ecu, but a law suit just isn't in the cards. At least not in my way of thinking.

Miles
Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegun
I think I am starting to have problems. Greg you said any ideas...yea... we start a class action law suit!!!!!! Surely there is a lawyer in our mist. How do I determine my production date?

Go here:

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi and input the last 7 digits of your VIN.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Oh, good lord, David. A few days ago you were thinking of sending BMW - NA a thank you letter for your "welcome - pack"; now you want to sue them? One extreme to the other.

The bike is inherently a good bike; even a great motorcycle. We've all been dealing with these few nagging problems that negatively affect the bike that are very annoying.

As we've seen, BMW's approach to solving these irratations is equally as annoying as the problems themselves.

In as much as BMW - NA wants each of us to deal individually with our dealer, have you contacted your dealer? What is your issue(s) that have surfaced?

The fact that BMW - NA has posted on the high-idle thread at least indicates they are aware of the issue. They don't want owners with problems like this, either.

We can point a finger at BMW - NA not being more public with these issues, not being specific, not continuing the discount on the "new" ecu, but a law suit just isn't in the cards. At least not in my way of thinking.

Miles

DAMICK ! ! ! ! build date 09/06. What is so damn agrivating is that I waited yrs so this would not happen.

IS THIS EVEN A 2007 bike? F )( ( l( !!!!!!!!!!!

NOw that I got that outta my system...

Miles you are right. It is a great bike. I do not regret my purchase. Its just the agrivation as you well know! I was breathless with the arrival of the congrats kit. The Lead Crystal R32 is worth it alone! I only want to start a suit if BMW does not fix it. What I have is not what I paid for...pure & simple! But I do very much like the bike.

Ya know, I think it is the times we live in. BMW is held captive by those who build the parts they ( BMW ) uses to assemble bikes. Yes BMW is culpable! And if my bike throws me off due to sudden acceleration... I will be a rich man... cause I will sue BMW & all suppliers. I hope & beleive BMW will fix this problem!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Quote:

Ya know, I think it is the times we live in. BMW is held captive by those who build the parts they ( BMW ) uses to assemble bikes. Yes BMW is culpable! And if my bike throws me off due to sudden acceleration... I will be a rich man... cause I will sue BMW & all suppliers. I hope & beleive BMW will fix this problem!

Well, that's a different scenario (compared to a class action suit at this point), David; and, I think BMW is fully aware of the product liability issues connected with the control issues relative to high idle, bucking, or even a sticking throttle. It's another reason they are most probably working hard at fixes.

You also make an excellent point about the supplier of parts for their motorcycles. You have to wonder about the quality of such things as stepper motors, airboxes, etc.

FWIW, the build date of my GT is August, 2006 and its an '07 with the Teves braking system (a quality company, by all acounts, by the way).

Miles
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW

Quote:

read my new thread
my bike is more screwed up than i thought
my bike is very very sick
idling over 6,000
can't slow it down
rpm hold for 1 sec after letting go of the accelerator

running hot
won't restart when hot
starts up fine when cold

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
The Lead Crystal R32 is worth it alone!

Boy are you gonna be really pissed when you find out its lucite and not lead crystal.

F
Old 06-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Boy are you gonna be really pissed when you find out its lucite and not lead crystal.

F

Is lucite that heavy?

http://www.lucitecp.com/ these folks say nadda

Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Site Contributor

IIRC, the letter that came in the box said it was lucite. Sorry for the letdown.

Rusty
Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
The Inspector

it's definitely LUCITE
come to think of it... i forget where i put that box of stuff

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to larrykay

BMW has not told anyone this, but I got it firsthand from a buddy in England.
Remember the ship that got beached last year? It seems that BMW got all thos bikes back and is reselling them this year. This accounts for all the myriad problems that are happening to all the new bikes. Check for barnacles and seaweed in the fuel systems.............
Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
BMW has not told anyone this, but I got it firsthand from a buddy in England.
Remember the ship that got beached last year? It seems that BMW got all thos bikes back and is reselling them this year. This accounts for all the myriad problems that are happening to all the new bikes. Check for barnacles and seaweed in the fuel systems.............

LOL
thank goodness that i already HAD my bike when that shipped was scuttled

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Just Ride It

Quote:
build date 09/06. IS THIS EVEN A 2007 bike?
Yep. BMW usually shuts down production in August, then resumes with the new year models in September. The last few years, many workers have agreed to stay and work through August to meet ever-increasing demands for their bikes.

Hmm, I wonder if yours was built at the end of September. Maybe you got an Oktoberfest bike?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Yep. BMW usually shuts down production in August, then resumes with the new year models in September. The last few years, many workers have agreed to stay and work through August to meet ever-increasing demands for their bikes.

Hmm, I wonder if yours was built at the end of September. Maybe you got an Oktoberfest bike?

i guess you DO have to wonder WHICH employees decide to stay the extra time and work....

i knew that my bike was made on DAY 1 or 2 of production..... i DID find that out
so... i've been fearing the possible ramifications of that build date since long before my bike arrived in the US

is that face to blame for my bike's issues...... who knows

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
i guess you DO have to wonder WHICH employees decide to stay the extra time and work....

i knew that my bike was made on DAY 1 or 2 of production..... i DID find that out
so... i've been fearing the possible ramifications of that build date since long before my bike arrived in the US

is that face to blame for my bike's issues...... who knows

12/06 build date, old ECU, new airbox - 3k idle started again at 200 miles after new airbox. I talked to the service writer at dealer, and he said he had 2 other bikes with new airboxes and old ECUs doing exactly the same thing. He said BMW doesn't really know what's going on, and is recommending honing the ICV, based on their reading of the Internet.

I'm about as close to certain as I can be that the problem is the ECU.

When the high idle started this last time:

1 - bike was warm but not hot - ambient 60 F - fan wasn't on and didn't come on until I was stopped at a stoplight, about 20 miles later. High idle cleared up immediately after stopping and starting the engine.

2 - 200 miles since returned from dealer with new airbox and ECU reset (TPS procedure), at which time it ran flawlessly.

3 - I just did a TPS reset, and bike returned to flawless behavior. I'll do this every 200 miles until my ASC (read new ECU) is installed.

I intend to wait for my ASC retrofit to arrive, and not let them hone the ICV until I can test the new ECU. I'm an electronics development engineer, and have a lot of experience with dealing with field problems at the design level. I often don't hear about a problem until the customers are almost homicidal. I also have experience with parts shortages and substituting parts that create new problems in the field. I'm convinced the BMSK ECU was not supposed to be on the '07 model, but was substituted for the BMSKP ECU when BMW found that the new ECU delivery would be delayed. Engineers probably put it on the bike, test rode it (probably not for 300 miles after TPS reset, which is required for the problem to show up), took a look at the interface design, and said go.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
3 - I just did a TPS reset, and bike returned to flawless behavior. I'll do this every 200 miles until my ASC (read new ECU) is installed.

weirdly enough....
i did the TPS reset and it never worked for me
don't know why

that's when i almost couldn't restart the bike when it was hot
very odd behavior

after riding 50 miles....
turned off the bike..... ALMOST DIDN'T TURN OVER....
waited 2 minutes.... started RIGHT UP

have NO idea why THAT happened

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 01:54 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
I'm convinced the BMSK ECU was not supposed to be on the '07 model, but was substituted for the BMSKP ECU when BMW found that the new ECU delivery would be delayed. Engineers probably put it on the bike, test rode it (probably not for 300 miles after TPS reset, which is required for the problem to show up), took a look at the interface design, and said go.

AMEN.....
i couldn't agree more
i await the new ECU as well.....

in the next few days, i'll hope to have more info

for now....
i'm busy working..... CHECKUP SEASON/i'm a pediatrician
my bike will STAY at the dealer until some resolution

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
weirdly enough....
i did the TPS reset and it never worked for me
don't know why

that's when i almost couldn't restart the bike when it was hot
very odd behavior

after riding 50 miles....
turned off the bike..... ALMOST DIDN'T TURN OVER....
waited 2 minutes.... started RIGHT UP

have NO idea why THAT happened

I think that happens when air and fuel gets trapped in a cylinder when you shut down, and heat creates high pressure when heated, especially with a 13:1 compression ratio. Happens to me now and then, tho with a few miles on her, it happens less often.

I think you have something else wrong with your bike - especially since it sometimes idles above 3k. If you have the old ECU, that may compound the problem.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
I think that happens when air and fuel gets trapped in a cylinder when you shut down, and heat creates high pressure when heated, especially with a 13:1 compression ratio. Happens to me now and then, tho with a few miles on her, it happens less often.

I think you have something else wrong with your bike - especially since it sometimes idles above 3k. If you have the old ECU, that may compound the problem.

time will tell
the question i ask myself.....
when i get a new ECU.....

how many HUNDRED miles will i ride.... a few miles from my dealer befoer i dare venture out on a 2,000 mile trip?

i don't want to go too far away...
in case there are still problems... i want someone at my dealership to RIDE the bike.... as soon as i pull in... without shutting it down

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 PM
The Inspector

the weirdest behavior that MY bike had:

everytime i released the throttle.... the bike HELD the EXACT RPM for 1 second... no matter what RPM the bike was currently running

it felt like it was some FLY-BY-WIRE problem, on a new yamaha R1, etc...

the GT is NOT fly-by-wire.....
so, i'm not sure why this happened

any thoughts?

everytime i upshifted, i'd have to RELEASE THE THROTTLE a seconde BEFORE pulling in the clutch... or the bike would OVERREV with EVERY upshift...

and...
downshifting was even MORE EXCITING

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
the weirdest behavior that MY bike had:

everytime i released the throttle.... the bike HELD the EXACT RPM for 1 second... no matter what RPM the bike was currently running

it felt like it was some FLY-BY-WIRE problem, on a new yamaha R1, etc...

the GT is NOT fly-by-wire.....
so, i'm not sure why this happened

any thoughts?

everytime i upshifted, i'd have to RELEASE THE THROTTLE a seconde BEFORE pulling in the clutch... or the bike would OVERREV with EVERY upshift...

and...
downshifting was even MORE EXCITING

I think this is caused by ECU trying to ease the bike into compression braking by opening up the idle control valve for a second, then easing it off. If the mixture is whacky the effect is exaggerated. This has also happened to me a couple of times, but a little less pronounced than with you.

I think my low rpm mixture goes out of whack starting about 200 miles after TPS reset and after I've been holding steady speed above 60mph for about 5-10 minutes, long enough for the ECU to go into cruise mapping. Seems the ECU doesn't reset cruise map when I stop cruising.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,217 Times in 501 Posts

Seems are bikes very similar. I did about 220 miles today, the 30 miles where slab and 2 lane highway constant speeds of 65 to 80. 1st stop light the idle was above 1500, and jumping to over 2K. I raced it up to 3K and it stayed their for a few seconds before slowly dropping down. The next 100+ miles where twisty and at stops it idled between 12 and 1500 RPM. I stopped for lunch and the last 70 miles it idled perfectly at 1K. I didn't notice any hesitation at all today
Old 06-07-2007, 04:33 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
I think my low rpm mixture goes out of whack starting about 200 miles after TPS reset and after I've been holding steady speed above 60mph for about 5-10 minutes, long enough for the ECU to go into cruise mapping. Seems the ECU doesn't reset cruise map when I stop cruising.

1. cruise mapping? can you please educate me about that?

2. i was fairly sure that MY bike.... during its MR. TOAD'S WILD RIDE... a few days ago... went into some "other" mapping after it heated up and the fan came on... i heard the fan SWITCH ON... and the bike, seemingly, started running much much worse

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billg
Seems are bikes very similar. I did about 220 miles today, the 30 miles where slab and 2 lane highway constant speeds of 65 to 80. 1st stop light the idle was above 1500, and jumping to over 2K. I raced it up to 3K and it stayed their for a few seconds before slowly dropping down. The next 100+ miles where twisty and at stops it idled between 12 and 1500 RPM. I stopped for lunch and the last 70 miles it idled perfectly at 1K. I didn't notice any hesitation at all today

fascinating info..... it just makes no sense to me
these bikes are so freakin' weird

it makes you wonder why there are some folks with early '07s/old ECUs who have NO problems.

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:

it makes you wonder why there are some folks with early '07s/old ECUs who have NO problems.

MY bike is the earliest 07 came over on the same boat as yours, and I even recieved it in California a few weeks before you. I had it upgraded to 7.1 a few months ago, for the most part it runs just fine.

On a rare occasion when the bike is cold the bike will idle high, 2k.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
1. cruise mapping? can you please educate me about that?

2. i was fairly sure that MY bike.... during its MR. TOAD'S WILD RIDE... a few days ago... went into some "other" mapping after it heated up and the fan came on... i heard the fan SWITCH ON... and the bike, seemingly, started running much much worse

Most engine control systems will lean the mixture when the brain sees that the speed is above a threshold and it doesn't change a lot, same as if you got on the freeway and turned on cruise control. It improves mileage, and perhaps other things as well. I call it the cruise map.

My theory about this bike with the old ECU is that it fails to turn off the cruise map, not going back to a normal map, when the conditions change. It may also be that when this happens, the bike runs warm because it's running lean, and then the hotter engine behaves badly because of the heat, the fan comes on, etc.

So the heat doesn't cause the problem, but the lean mixture causes the heat, which makes it worse.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
MY bike is the earliest 07 came over on the same boat as yours, and I even recieved it in California a few weeks before you. I had it upgraded to 7.1 a few months ago, for the most part it runs just fine.

Idling high when cold (just after running the starter motor) is expected and desired, to keep the battery charge voltage up.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

This might be a sensor incompatibility, and maybe some '07s got the sensor that matches the old ECU.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Dirty Hooligan

The last 30 miles where the same roads as the 1st 30 miles just in the other direction, I used cruise control same speeds, yet no idle problem
Old 06-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Postmeister

I took some of the tupperware off the GT today. I found dried up seaweed!!!!!! WTF??? At this point all i can do is

Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billg
The last 30 miles where the same roads as the 1st 30 miles just in the other direction, I used cruise control same speeds, yet no idle problem

One thing I've noticed is the idle problem doesn't seem to pop up as soon as I come off the high-speed stretch, but about 1-2 minutes of low speed, stop and go stuff.

On your return segment was the low speed section different from the outgoing where you noticed the idle problem?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I took some of the tupperware off the GT today. I found dried up seaweed!!!!!! WTF???

Photos, we need photos.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard

that is good to know
i appreciate your post

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Most engine control systems will lean the mixture when the brain sees that the speed is above a threshold and it doesn't change a lot, same as if you got on the freeway and turned on cruise control. It improves mileage, and perhaps other things as well. I call it the cruise map.

My theory about this bike with the old ECU is that it fails to turn off the cruise map, not going back to a normal map, when the conditions change. It may also be that when this happens, the bike runs warm because it's running lean, and then the hotter engine behaves badly because of the heat, the fan comes on, etc.

So the heat doesn't cause the problem, but the lean mixture causes the heat, which makes it worse.

i appreciate the education
thanks of explaining that to me

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:47 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
This might be a sensor incompatibility, and maybe some '07s got the sensor that matches the old ECU.
i guess that DOES make sense to me

thanks

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
I took some of the tupperware off the GT today. I found dried up seaweed!!!!!! WTF??? At this point all i can do is

LOL
you are killing me

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
i guess that DOES make sense to me

thanks

Keep in mind, tho, this is all speculation on my part.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:57 PM
The Inspector

Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox!

Quote:
Keep in mind, tho, this is all speculation on my part.

it does sound very reasonable to me

it is so ridiculous how complicated this all is

i suppose that IF the new ECU fixes everything... who cares
once again... before that 9.1 update into my OLD ECU..... the bike was (except for a few FI holes) completely normal

YIKES!

hard to believe at THIS point

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Photos, we need photos.

I thought about that..looking for a camera...wonder what BMW motorrad will say

Old 06-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Dirty Hooligan

Quote:
One thing I've noticed is the idle problem doesn't seem to pop up as soon as I come off the high-speed stretch, but about 1-2 minutes of low speed, stop and go stuff.

On your return segment was the low speed section different from the outgoing where you noticed the idle problem?
It was pretty much the same, the last time it happened that bad was on the way to the BRPR. I had done over 300 miles so far that day. Riding with the group we stopped at a light and it was bouncing from 1500 to over 2K. I shut it down and immediately restarted it went back to 1K
Old 06-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I thought about that..looking for a camera...wonder what BMW motorrad will say

Something like "this shows how thoroughly we test our bikes".
Old 06-08-2007, 02:29 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

greetings from Spain , I also am affected

you watch these videos of my BMW K1200S - 03/2005

high idle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkJkxei1bLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWCDyH7eHDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnsLcA3GH8

shutdowns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QF82WHBD24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-uEw8sNbiQ

you watch this link:
http://www.bmwmotos.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1180104128

(sorry by the bad translation)
Old 06-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

greetings from Spain , I also am affected

you watch these videos of my BMW K1200S - 03/2005 (old Air box - old ECU)

high idle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkJkxei1bLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWCDyH7eHDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnsLcA3GH8

shutdowns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QF82WHBD24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-uEw8sNbiQ

NOW: New air box - old ECU = FOLLOW THE PROBLEMS

you watch this link:
http://www.bmwmotos.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1180104128

(sorry by the bad translation , i do not speak your language)

Last edited by hondakiller : 06-08-2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:53 AM
The Inspector

it is amazing how widespread these issues are, yet NO "OFFICIAL" statement from BMW

what can i say?

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

After an Email to BMW, I received an answer within 24 hours. They said that they did contact the service manager at my dealer and I should contact them. I rode to the dealer yesterday and, of course, the bike ran perfectly. I was told that BMW said the problem is a warping air box and stepper motor. No mention of ECU. They are waiting on more info from BMW and will order the air box. They also said that someone with a KGT is expieriencing the same problems as I.
Also they are working on a wrecked KGT. Some body hit an ice patch. I didnt ask where it happened.Obviously not here in Florida.
Is it anyone on this forum?

Greg
Old 06-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring
I was told that BMW said the problem is a warping air box and stepper motor. No mention of ECU.
Greg

Most people report that stopping and immediately restarting the engine will clear the high idle problem, temporarily. My bike behaves this way. I cannot for the life of me figure out how a restart is going to straighten a warped airbox or clean up a faulty stepper on an idle control valve. I am all ears.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Dirty Hooligan

Quote:
I cannot for the life of me figure out how a restart is going to straighten a warped airbox or clean up a faulty stepper on an idle control valve. I am all ears.
I'm with you
Old 06-08-2007, 02:12 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Most people report that stopping and immediately restarting the engine will clear the high idle problem, temporarily. My bike behaves this way. I cannot for the life of me figure out how a restart is going to straighten a warped airbox or clean up a faulty stepper on an idle control valve. I am all ears.

exactly

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Getting up to speed

Hi
Does anyone own a new build gt? Built within the last 3 months, with the new ecu? I've got to know these bikes have no more issues, before I spend all my wifes cash.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Dirty Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman Murman
Hi
Does anyone own a new build gt? Built within the last 3 months, with the new ecu? I've got to know these bikes have no more issues, before I spend all my wifes cash.
You should start a new thread with that ?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Getting up to speed

my gt is 2 month old.it has the new ecu and the 9.0 software.it has 5000 miles on it and is absolutly perfect.had the airbox relaced at 2500 miles because of high idle.it fixed the problem and has not appeared again.
hans
Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Billg,
Done
Old 06-08-2007, 04:40 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfan
my gt is 2 month old.it has the new ecu and the 9.0 software.it has 5000 miles on it and is absolutly perfect.had the airbox relaced at 2500 miles because of high idle.it fixed the problem and has not appeared again.
hans

it's ABOUT TIME that you post here, Hans

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Getting up to speed

greg,

there is just not much to say or report from me.my gt is just awesome.
so sorry to hear all the problems so many have.i will tell the dealer next time i take it in for service NOT to abdate the software anymore.i'm glad it runs so well.
miss the s a little bit thou.just loved the yellow....

hans ...see ya in the morning
Old 06-08-2007, 06:29 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfan
greg,

there is just not much to say or report from me.my gt is just awesome.
so sorry to hear all the problems so many have.i will tell the dealer next time i take it in for service NOT to abdate the software anymore.i'm glad it runs so well.
miss the s a little bit thou.just loved the yellow....

hans ...see ya in the morning

i'll be just fine meeting you for breakfast in the morning on my brutale....

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...