I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
a month?
which dealer told you that?

mine?

Haps.It's no big deal for me to wait a month.

Greg
Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 AM

I am hearing of more people having this problem with the airbox. It can and has caused a dangerous situation.
Why hasn't BMW made a recall?

Greg
Old 06-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Getting up to speed

That is the million dollar question.
At my local dealership there are 4-5 bikes with this issue. Mine is the second to be fixed. The first was a guy from LA who didn't provide any feedback. Since Airboxes are on short supply, fixing this is going to be an issue. I read on the k-bikes forum that there is a new airbox being developed due for release in a few weeks. I am not sure what has to happen for a recall to be issued. How many people have to report the issue? What is the difference between a bulletin and a recall? I guess the bulletin is a stall technique until they can figure out a fix or make the appropriate part. Dunno.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring
Haps.It's no big deal for me to wait a month.

Greg

1. eurocycles has 3 bmw master technicians
2. haps only has 1

3. haps is a HONDA dealer..... BMW is NOT their priority

go somewhere else and have the service done
1 month?
that's more embarrassing than what's going on at MY dealer now

2007 K1200GT
2011 R1200GS Adventure (now a SIDECAR RIG by DMC)

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Old 06-14-2007, 11:02 AM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW

Quote:
I am hearing of more people having this problem with the airbox. It can and has caused a dangerous situation.
Why hasn't BMW made a recall?

Greg

here's my theory

$

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarcher
At my local dealership there are 4-5 bikes with this issue. Mine is the second to be fixed. The first was a guy from LA who didn't provide any feedback. Since Airboxes are on short supply, fixing this is going to be an issue. I read on the k-bikes forum that there is a new airbox being developed due for release in a few weeks. I am not sure what has to happen for a recall to be issued. How many people have to report the issue? What is the difference between a bulletin and a recall? I guess the bulletin is a stall technique until they can figure out a fix or make the appropriate part. Dunno.

this goes along with the fact that the "NEW" airboxes CURRENTLY being put in AFFECTED bikes are probably not any different than the ones they are replacing

so......
when/if this NEWLY designed airbox comes out...
all of our bikes will need to have them replaced AGAIN

how wonderful.... in a bike that cost more than 20K

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:

A few accidents attributed to the airbox might wake them up.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
1. eurocycles has 3 bmw master technicians
2. haps only has 1

3. haps is a HONDA dealer..... BMW is NOT their priority

go somewhere else and have the service done
1 month?
that's more embarrassing than what's going on at MY dealer now

I understand. I have previuosly bought two Hondas from Haps and my first BMW from them a year and a half ago. So far they have been very fair wth me.
Haps is 12 miles away and Eurocycles is almost 70.

Greg
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
lemon laws do NOT apply to motorcycles.....
at least in florida

so......
not an option, unfortunately

Greg,

While Florida's "lemon law" does not apply to motorcycles, you might consider the federal Magmuson-Moss Warranty Act. It provides for recovery of attorney fees as well. It is a breach of warranty type of act which provides consumers relief for manufacturers placing products on the market which products are not fit for the intended purpose.

Hope this helps in giving you an option to consider.

Steve
Old 06-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW
Greg,

While Florida's "lemon law" does not apply to motorcycles, you might consider the federal Magmuson-Moss Warranty Act. It provides for recovery of attorney fees as well. It is a breach of warranty type of act which provides consumers relief for manufacturers placing products on the market which products are not fit for the intended purpose.
Steve,

The Magnusson-Moss act covers aftermarket components. What you refer to are the Implied Warranty of Merchantability provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code.

Rusty
Old 06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
I understand. I have previuosly bought two Hondas from Haps and my first BMW from them a year and a half ago. So far they have been very fair wth me.
Haps is 12 miles away and Eurocycles is almost 70.

Greg

but...
1 month to get a part installed..... ALREADY IN STOCK is nothing short of CRIMINAL

ride the 70 miles and have the bike fixed 3 weeks (or more) earlier

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Getting up to speed

Rusty,

I believe Magnusson-Moss applies to original consumer products as opposed to aftermarket components. If a written warranty is given on a consumer product distributed in commerce normally used for personal use, then Magnusson-Moss initially applies. So it could apply to aftermarket components, but would apply to a new consumer product such as the BMW motorcycle. I was not referring to the UCC, although it would/could apply also. Arguably, Magnusson-Moss and the UCC could both apply depending on the wording of the warranties BMW gives and the particular application of other federal warranty laws.

All I meant was to alert Greg he may have recourse under "lemon law" type provisions. I imagine Greg wants to have a safe, properly running motorcycle he can trust rather than pursuing remedies for being sold a lemon.

My own experiences with a 2006 K1200GT is enough to make me consider pursuing relief. BTW, I bought my klunker in Florida.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Steve,

The Magnusson-Moss act covers aftermarket components. What you refer to are the Implied Warranty of Merchantability provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code.

Rusty
Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Postmeister

I am in too..when is the IB ride?

Old 06-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW
Rusty,

I believe Magnusson-Moss applies to original consumer products as opposed to aftermarket components.
The best known provision of Magnusson-Moss is that, unless very limited circumstances are present, a company may not void the warranty on a product simply because non-OEM aftermarket parts are used on the product or non-OEM aftermarket service is performed on the product. In these cases, Magnusson-Moss places the burden of proof on the manufacturer to prove that the non-OEM part or service was the cause of the problem. But, yes, in that regard, it is tied to the warranty on a consumer product.

Irrespective of the above, the "fitness for its intended purpose" test would certainly be in question when a bike is behaving like Greg's.

Rusty
Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW
All I meant was to alert Greg he may have recourse under "lemon law" type provisions. I imagine Greg wants to have a safe, properly running motorcycle he can trust rather than pursuing remedies for being sold a lemon.

My own experiences with a 2006 K1200GT is enough to make me consider pursuing relief. BTW, I bought my klunker in Florida.

Steve

steve
i appreciate your help
my "ENABLING DISC" is supposed to be here tomorrow
then they will install my new ECU with the disc to "wake it up"
i'll report back... of course

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 PM

I'm suppost to get the new ECU, airbox and ASC installed next Saturday, I'll let you know how the upgrade workes on my bike. I just hope that will fix it since I'm leaving July 7 on a 5,000 mile round trip to Colorado.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Getting up to speed

vJoin Date: May 2007

My dealer just received my new airbox, but because the service department is backed up and the BMW tech will be on vacation, mine won't be installed for a month.

spring,
let me tell you .i bought 5 BMWs since 02 ,2 Hondas prior to those and i took friends there who bought 4 other bikes .So I say I'm a very good customer.
When I traded my 03 LT and my 05 S for the GT they gave me the hardest time.they told me they don't want to take 2 bikes in trade.than finally ,after i got pissed off ,they came with an offer.they tried to STEAL my Lt and offered me $2000 under trade in value for my bike.Not only that the salespeople started fighting over the commision!!!I bought the last time from the one guy and this time I talked to the other guy.They wanted me to decide who gets what.i think this is a kindergarten.I talked to Dave at Eurocycle and it was NOT the smallest problem to trade two bikes in for one.I had all receipts for all the service work done,both bikes looked like new,no accidents.he gave me a little bit more than book and I paid MSRP for the GT.he also promised me to give me a loaner if they have to keep my bike for a day or longer to do service work.The service department so far is truly awesome.I got my bike back the last time and it was washed.I got my LT back from Haps after a service and had greasy fingerprints all over .
So I think I stay with eurocycle for the time being.it is worth the trip.I'm very disappointed with Haps!!!
hans
Old 06-14-2007, 09:04 PM
The Inspector

Hans...
thanks for adding your personal experience with Haps

i know how hard it was for YOU to make this CHANGE OF VENUE

afterall, Haps is DOWN THE STREET from your house and Eurocycles in 1.5 hours away

i'm glad you are happy

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfan
vJoin Date: May 2007

My dealer just received my new airbox, but because the service department is backed up and the BMW tech will be on vacation, mine won't be installed for a month.

spring,
let me tell you .i bought 5 BMWs since 02 ,2 Hondas prior to those and i took friends there who bought 4 other bikes .So I say I'm a very good customer.
When I traded my 03 LT and my 05 S for the GT they gave me the hardest time.they told me they don't want to take 2 bikes in trade.than finally ,after i got pissed off ,they came with an offer.they tried to STEAL my Lt and offered me $2000 under trade in value for my bike.Not only that the salespeople started fighting over the commision!!!I bought the last time from the one guy and this time I talked to the other guy.They wanted me to decide who gets what.i think this is a kindergarten.I talked to Dave at Eurocycle and it was NOT the smallest problem to trade two bikes in for one.I had all receipts for all the service work done,both bikes looked like new,no accidents.he gave me a little bit more than book and I paid MSRP for the GT.he also promised me to give me a loaner if they have to keep my bike for a day or longer to do service work.The service department so far is truly awesome.I got my bike back the last time and it was washed.I got my LT back from Haps after a service and had greasy fingerprints all over .
So I think I stay with eurocycle for the time being.it is worth the trip.I'm very disappointed with Haps!!!
hans

Hans,

So sorry to hear of your problems.
I have not yet had the problems you have, so , for now I'm staying with Haps.
How do you like your new KGT? At times I get tempted to trade, but I sure do love my S. I wish I could afford both.

We need to get together again for a ride. ( You too Greg)

Greg
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Shooting the gap

What I haven't heard in all this discussion is just where on the air box the warpping is happening. Places where you could get an air leak is where the air filters are or where the throttle bodies are. Are there others? Most materials once warpped tend to stay that way so it should be evident if warpping has occurred. On my S the factory didn't tighten all the bottom clamps on the throttle bodies and I got a major air leak. Had to drive the ECU nuts cause it sure made the bike idle weird, both high and not at all.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:08 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Hans,

So sorry to hear of your problems.
I have not yet had the problems you have, so , for now I'm staying with Haps.
How do you like your new KGT? At times I get tempted to trade, but I sure do love my S. I wish I could afford both.

We need to get together again for a ride. ( You too Greg)

Greg

greg
we SHALL ride soon
but...
i'm perplexed by your comments about "i have not had the problems you have (with Haps)"

the fact is....
the tell you it'll be 1 month to fix your bike with parts they already have in stock because they have only 1 trained technician who is on vacation

if THAT isn't a "problem" i don't know what is

quite frankly, i have NO idea how they have any BMW customers with THAT kind of CUSTOMER SERVICE

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
The Inspector

i started a new thread about my ECU issues....
because, the enabling disc is in NEW JERSEY
my bike is "OUT OF COMMISSION" for 3 weeks tomorrow
and there is now NO END IN SIGHT to its "vacation" at my dealer

to say that i am UPSET, is and extreme understatement

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Greg,

I really feel for you. Just be thankful you live where the riding season is 365 days. Imagine having you bike on "vacation" where 3 weeks represents as much as 20% of your annual riding time?

Chin up and all that crap, you'll be putting this way behind you in no time.

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 K1200GT CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Old 06-15-2007, 02:38 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Greg,

I really feel for you. Just be thankful you live where the riding season is 365 days. Imagine having you bike on "vacation" where 3 weeks represents as much as 20% of your annual riding time?

Chin up and all that crap, you'll be putting this way behind you in no time.

thanks Chris
i really appreciate it

and......
you are surely correct about our riding season
if anything, this ISN'T it... the heat index is almost 100 here today

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Shooting the gap

Greg,

Check your PMs

F
Old 06-16-2007, 06:57 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Greg,

Check your PMs

F

PM returned

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Getting up to speed

greg(spring) check your pm
thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
50 mile update (New Airbox and 9.1.3 software)

Got the bike back this evening. It is a 50 mile ride on the interstate including 10 miles in a bit of traffic. I have to say that there is a NIGHT AND DAY difference.

1. It idols at 1000rpms and stays there. When I rev the bike it comes down smoothly with no hesitation.

2. The bike accelerates smoothly and no flat spots

3. Shifting is much smoother and less clunky. In fact it feels like it should.

4. In traffic there was no bucking at very low speeds and engine braking was as it should be.

So far so good but it feels like a totally different machine. I am planning on riding a bit this evening. I will keep you posted. It looks like a winner so far

I echo the above comments...I just had my -KP installed and WOW...night and day to say the least. Shifting is easier, bike has no throttle issues (i.e. snatchy low speed issues) it actually is quite smooth when throttle is applied. No monstrous engine braking on decel, no bucking AND there are NO flats spots AND it pulls like a freight train from about 5K to redline.....just unbelievable. Seems as if they loosed another 20HP from the motor....Im floored.
Now I can say the bike does everything exceptionally well.

F
Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
I echo the above comments...I just had my -KP installed and WOW...night and day to say the least. Shifting is easier, bike has no throttle issues (i.e. snatchy low speed issues) it actually is quite smooth when throttle is applied. No monstrous engine braking on decel, no bucking AND there are NO flats spots AND it pulls like a freight train from about 5K to redline.....just unbelievable. Seems as if they loosed another 20HP from the motor....Im floored.

F
i look forward to writing a similar report very soon

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:

F

This gladdens my heart. Going in for surgery this Tuesday, and hope for this outcome.

Please post updates as the miles accumulate on the new ECU. - Thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Site Contributor

That's encouraging. My ASC upgrade (including, of course, the -KP ECU) was ordered last Saturday.

Rusty
Old 06-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
I cannot for the life of me figure out how a restart is going to straighten a warped airbox ...

Quoting myself - thought of a way the airbox may be warping and resealing on a restart.

My bike has started high idle almost every time I ride over 20 miles, and stopping and restarting still clears the problem, but only for about 10 miles.

I realized that the airbox experiences a pressure differential as long as the engine is running. Heat, along with pressure difference, warps airbox. Once the engine stops, pressure difference goes to zero, and maybe airbox reseals until pressure differential and heat warps cover again.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:25 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Quoting myself - thought of a way the airbox may be warping and resealing on a restart.

My bike has started high idle almost every time I ride over 20 miles, and stopping and restarting still clears the problem, but only for about 10 miles.

I realized that the airbox experiences a pressure differential as long as the engine is running. Heat, along with pressure difference, warps airbox. Once the engine stops, pressure difference goes to zero, and maybe airbox reseals until pressure differential and heat warps cover again.

after my bikes symptoms.... when i stopped the bike, it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to restart it

it was as if the battery was dead
which it was NOT
but..... after a few minutes, it started RIGHT UP

the high compression issue has beaten discussed, but it was shocking how the motor BARELY TURNED OVER during a HOT restart attempt

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
after my bikes symptoms.... when i stopped the bike, it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to restart it

it was as if the battery was dead
which it was NOT
but..... after a few minutes, it started RIGHT UP

the high compression issue has beaten discussed, but it was shocking how the motor BARELY TURNED OVER during a HOT restart attempt

My hot starting is the same, but if I keep the button pressed when the engine stops turning over, it always gets through the bad spot and starts. My understanding is the risk is to the starting selenoid (or relay) contacts, which can fuse if the battery is not fully charged.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:18 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Quote:

F

Glad this worked out for you. My impressions exactly. It seems to stick, too. Runs exactly the same with the new ecu after a month, a 3000 miles trip and the day ride today.

Recommending the approach, the expense of it all - even with the discount - and suggesting interested GT owners convince his dealership makes it all worthwhile when the results are this dramatic.

It's also hard to get overly enthusastic when there are many other GT owners who haven't experienced the benefit of the new ecu and made the change to the new ecu as yet.

Miles
Old 06-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
It's also hard to get overly enthusastic when there are many other GT owners who haven't experienced the benefit of the new ecu and made the change to the new ecu as yet.

Miles

With all the issues that many have had, including you...why can't you be enthusiastic. Hell, I would be but maybe a little "pissed" at having to pay for a part to get the damn thing right. Even though I've had no such problems, it certainly doesn't mean that we lucky ones don't feel bad for those that have struggled to get it right...especially poor Greg.

It's a fine bike and we shouldn't have to deal with the same crap that existed with the early S!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
With all the issues that many have had, including you...why can't you be enthusiastic. Hell, I would be but maybe a little "pissed" at having to pay for a part to get the damn thing right. Even though I've had no such problems, it certainly doesn't mean that we lucky ones don't feel bad for those that have struggled to get it right...especially poor Greg.

It's a fine bike and we shouldn't have to deal with the same crap that existed with the early S!

Hmmm, poor syntax on my part, Doug.

There are 275 replies in this thread, a couple of which I waxed very enthusiastically about the improvements that came with the new ecu on my bike. Maybe on a couple of other threads as well.

It just didn't seem fair to me to go on, at this point, about how wonderful the new ecu is when there are GT riders, maybe like yourself, that are not sharing presently in the upgrade.

Sort of like the kid with all the marbles laying it on the other kids that 'aint got no marbles. <g>

It's more than just fixing fueling problems; it's a whole different ball-game. Go see Bobbie, Doug, get one, then get back to us!

Miles
Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 AM
The Inspector

i continue to greatly appreciate the additions to this thread
i am still shocked as to how many views and posts there have been here.... clearly the most popular thread in some time (that really isn't a good thing, of course )

we'll see how kind "CUSTOMS" is to my enabling CD-ROM in New Jersey this week

i'll keep everyone informed

thanks again...... to everyone who has contributed here

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Getting up to speed

****BIKE UPDATE****
Rode the bike to Erie, PA this weekend. The bike performed flawlessly. No bucking, no strange idling. Very smooth on the highway. Other than my hand going numb It was a great time on the bike. I think the airbox and the upgrade did it for me...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
****BIKE UPDATE****
Rode the bike to Erie, PA this weekend. The bike performed flawlessly. No bucking, no strange idling. Very smooth on the highway. Other than my hand going numb It was a great time on the bike. I think the airbox and the upgrade did it for me...

most excellent news
thanks for the update

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Bottoms Up!

Quote:
i appreciate the posts
we went through the printout twice
it showed no faults and said that it DID "TAKE"
i asked them to re-do it as well

i told them..... that it happened right away and that the bike was COLD, so the airbox couldn't have been warped AT THAT POINT....
so, it HAD to be the software install
and they just didn't believe that

afterall the bikes i've bought from them.... i was very pissed off
my "officer experience" didn't help matters

Greg,

Read this thread through, sorry for your troubles.
My point of responding is mainly to say I've bought two bikes at that dealer. M current bike, an '03 K12GT is in there and has been for some three weeks plus since I brought in for for new parts after my unfortunate gravel spill during the BRPR last month. I got it in there the week right after the rally! I keep getting this "all the parts haven't made in in yet."

Very frustrating, I'm not too sure about their parts department ordering procedures. I've got to say I've been less than thrilled with them, now and in the past (understatment).

BTW, get a radar detector, mine has paid for itself 5 times over at least.

Also, I was curious if you asked the cop for the favor of not giving you a ticket. In my experience, other than not denying you were speeding, it can make all the difference in not getting cited, or maybe getting some miles over the posted speed reduced.

Cheers
'03 Kaw KLR650 For the next adventure

"Company kept, is revealing"... So why am I hangin' with you monkeys?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:09 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcurtis
Greg,

Read this thread through, sorry for your troubles.
My point of responding is mainly to say I've bought two bikes at that dealer. M current bike, an '03 K12GT is in there and has been for some three weeks plus since I brought in for for new parts after my unfortunate gravel spill during the BRPR last month. I got it in there the week right after the rally! I keep getting this "all the parts haven't made in in yet."

Very frustrating, I'm not too sure about their parts department ordering procedures. I've got to say I've been less than thrilled with them, now and in the past (understatment).

BTW, get a radar detector, mine has paid for itself 5 times over at least.

Also, I was curious if you asked the cop for the favor of not giving you a ticket. In my experience, other than not denying you were speeding, it can make all the difference in not getting cited, or maybe getting some miles over the posted speed reduced.

Cheers

the parts department has changed since duncan left, in my opinion

i need a radar detetor.....
you are correct about that

i did NOT ask him for a favor
why..... i was hot and tired.... i should have
but, i was the idiot who was in a TOURIST area on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND....
just dumb
after 200K miles.... 1/2 of which are around here of course, you think i'd know better

thanks for your post

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Getting up to speed

Radar detectors are amazing. I have not gotten a ticket in two years when traveling with one. I mouned one on my KGT (escort passport 8500) and it saved me 4 times going to Erie and 6 times coming back.

BTW. My airbox was not taped. I asked the person who did the work.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Radar detectors are amazing. I have not gotten a ticket in two years when traveling with one. I mouned one on my KGT (escort passport 8500) and it saved me 4 times going to Erie and 6 times coming back.

BTW. My airbox was not taped. I asked the person who did the work.

interesting about the airbox

and........ "KNOCK ON WOOD" about your comments regarding your radar detector "success"

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Site Contributor

Greg,

Your thread is starting to suffer from lack of attention here. Hope that means you have your bike back and all is well!

Claremore, Ok
Old 06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarthog
Greg,

Your thread is starting to suffer from lack of attention here. Hope that means you have your bike back and all is well!

no.....
the enabling cd-rom is STILL not here
so....
there is no bike
still at the dealer
now for the 26th consecutive day

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
no.....
the enabling cd-rom is STILL not here
so....
there is no bike
still at the dealer
now for the 26th consecutive day

Sorry to hear that. Was hoping you would catch up with me. My bike is still in the shop tho- took it in yesterday expecting to get it back yesterday with a new ECU.

Well... California Highway Patrol officer rode up on his RT at the same time I was getting my bike into the shop, demanded a new clutch and bounced me to the next day. Guess it beats getting a ticket.

Just got a call this morning thinking the news would be 'were done, pick up your bike'. No. Tech found a cracked 'exhaust air injector tube' , which he believes is contributing to the high idle problem, if not the source. Part on order, arriving tomorrow.

Can anybody out there explain what the broken part does when not cracked? Bear in mind the name of the part is third hand, and two of those hands know next to nothing about this stuff.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:19 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Was hoping you would catch up with me. My bike is still in the shop tho- took it in yesterday expecting to get it back yesterday with a new ECU.

Well... California Highway Patrol officer rode up on his RT at the same time I was getting my bike into the shop, demanded a new clutch and bounced me to the next day. Guess it beats getting a ticket.

Just got a call this morning thinking the news would be 'were done, pick up your bike'. No. Tech found a cracked 'exhaust air injector tube' , which he believes is contributing to the high idle problem, if not the source. Part on order, arriving tomorrow.

Can anybody out there explain what the broken part does when not cracked? Bear in mind the name of the part is third hand, and two of those hands know next to nothing about this stuff.

unbelievable
i'm just glad it's CHECKUP time around my office... i'm so busy, i wouldn't have the time to ride anyway

here's hoping that BOTH of our bikes are back on the road soon

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

Injects air into the exhaust gases to lean them out for a better burn by the catalytic converter?

My best guess...

Claremore, Ok
Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
unbelievable
i'm just glad it's CHECKUP time around my office... i'm so busy, i wouldn't have the time to ride anyway

here's hoping that BOTH of our bikes are back on the road soon

if things don't get better soon, I gunna find me a 99GS....f*** this bull shit....cracked tubes, high idle speed, Crap for ECM, seat the breaks your bum, ...........fast as stink awesome handling bike...........wow........love / hate huh?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarthog
Injects air into the exhaust gases to lean them out for a better burn by the catalytic converter?

My best guess...

That's what I was guessing as well. Question is, does it inject it pre or post oxygen sensor? Can't find anything in the R engine that resembles this.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 AM
The Inspector

just to keep all of you CURRENT
still no enabling CD-ROM at the dealership as of 5 PM last night
stuck in CUSTOMS in New Jersey
today is day #27 that my bike is at the shop
who would have ever believed it?

i suppose that some of you would

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Getting up to speed

[quote=ClearwaterBMW]i continue to greatly appreciate the additions to this thread
i am still shocked as to how many views and posts there have been here.... clearly the most popular thread in some time (that really isn't a good thing, of course )

Hey Greg, take a look at the other forum, k-bike.com forum, which is pretty dead at times. My post, "high idle started again" is still going at 185 post since late last year. Not a good thing, huh?

I have to tell you from experience, life is just too short...there is only one way to solve your problem. Mine WAS "unresolved" for three months...I fixed it with a new 07. My fingers are cross at 2500 miles no issues, yet...Good luck.
02 K1200 LT (Traded not Forgotten)
Old 06-21-2007, 12:24 PM
The Inspector

[quote=beemerdude]
Quote:
i continue to greatly appreciate the additions to this thread

Hey Greg, take a look at the other forum, k-bike.com forum, which is pretty dead at times. My post, "high idle started again" is still going at 185 post since late last year. Not a good thing, huh?

I have to tell you from experience, life is just too short...there is only one way to solve your problem. Mine WAS "unresolved" for three months...I fixed it with a new 07. My fingers are cross at 2500 miles no issues, yet...Good luck.

i've inquired about the possibility of a NEW '07 trade
it makes NO sense, of course... from a monetary standpoint
i know life is short
but... losing 5K in 8 months makes me more angry than i care to be

who knows what it will come to

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Site Contributor

[quote=ClearwaterBMW]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdude

i know life is short

BMW has got to realize how bad this looks. Buy a new bike, and trade it in for the same model a few months later because the original doesn't work? Give me a break.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
just to keep all of you CURRENT
still no enabling CD-ROM at the dealership as of 5 PM last night
stuck in CUSTOMS in New Jersey
today is day #27 that my bike is at the shop
who would have ever believed it?

i suppose that some of you would

I am going to say something here, not designed to make you or anyone feel bad, but to make a point:

In Washington State if a dealer cannot effect a repair on a motor vehicle under warranty (motorcycles are included), within 31 consecutive days, the owner can automatically return the vehicle for a "full reimbursement".

The point being, Greg, that if a provision exists anywhere like this one, you should ask for and receive full reimbursement for your current motorcycle before considering a trade for a new one. Obviously you need to pay the difference for any increase in price or additonal options that might be on the new motorcycle.

Check Manfred's post in the K-R section. After 4 attempts at fixing his bike, the dealer is taking back the bike.

If returning your GT at full reimbursement is not possible - and having the advantage of living in Florida where riding is fun all year round, then you might also consider waiting a short quarter for the '08's if you are still interested in a GT or any other BMW bike.

Just my thoughts on the matter of "trading" for a same year mtorcycle.

Miles
Old 06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Getting up to speed

[quote=ClearwaterBMW]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdude

i know life is short

Greg, you're a smart guy, right! Read between the frickin lines. THERE IS NO NEED IN YOU LOSING A PENNY...
02 K1200 LT (Traded not Forgotten)
Old 06-21-2007, 02:06 PM
The Inspector

[quote=beemerdude]
Quote:

Greg, you're a smart guy, right! Read between the frickin lines. THERE IS NO NEED IN YOU LOSING A PENNY...

AMEN to that
i completely agree
i'm tired of arguing with them

as i started in another thread
my ecu is in my new bike.... as of 2 hours ago
the enabling cd-rom apparently came in yesterday

i'll get the bike saturday, at lunch
i can't get there any earlier

i hope and pray all will FINALLY be well

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 06-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via AIM to chebard

Perry here in PA.
Got me bike back from Hermys. He replaced the rear drive as promised. He showed me the spline that the rear disc brake is attached..... it was completely worn almost smooth! He was astounded at the wear and also wondered how this came to be. Any way, on the way home, all is well until I accelerate to 90mph and the abs failure goes off again. I restart and all is well until I go 90 mph again. I restart and call Herm. He says " bring it back in..." So, the next day the abs fails at 90mph and I drive carefully with the light blinking. On a rural country road, a deer jumps in front of me and I jump on the front brake. THe bike shudders. I stop, catch my nerves and restart. THe abs resets and all is well. I go 90 and the abs is fine now. I go 120 and the abs is fine now. The problem seems to have corrected itself. I get to Hermys and he runs the computer and finds NO faults..... hmmmm...... now that is a little strange..... but, the throttle is sticking again and Herm actually gets to witness the hang time for the return of the throttle after letting it go. Thank God, it is really wild while he messes with it. He then installs new software, I can only presume it is 9.1 on the original ecu. This bike was very early production, March 2006. I test the beast, all is well. Actually, the bike is better than it ever has been. I am pleased for the 65 mile ride home. I pull into the garage, kick out the sidestand and kill the key. I return the key to plug in the charger and I notice the abs is a whining as if applied. This is with the bike not started. I pet the beast and smile and go to dinner. After dinner , I return, turn on the key without starting and the abs is not whining. I smile and post my experience..... Good Night. Oh, Herm ordered an airbox for the beast.... they were back ordered anyway!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 PM
The Inspector

here's the weird thing
there is NO new airbox
all the BACKORDERED replacements are the EXACT SAME as the old ones

BMW has NOT made the TRUE REPLACEMENTS YET

i know this FOR A FACT

my point.....
IF you have them put in the "NEW" AIRBOX.... make sure they TAPE IT UP before putting back on the tupperware

why BMW is making these NEW/SAME airboxes is about as beyond me as any quirk in their storied history

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...