I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Postmeister

Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebard
Perry here in PA.
Got me bike back from Hermys. He replaced the rear drive as promised. He showed me the spline that the rear disc brake is attached..... it was completely worn almost smooth! He was astounded at the wear and also wondered how this came to be. Any way, on the way home, all is well until I accelerate to 90mph and the abs failure goes off again. I restart and all is well until I go 90 mph again. I restart and call Herm. He says " bring it back in..." So, the next day the abs fails at 90mph and I drive carefully with the light blinking. On a rural country road, a deer jumps in front of me and I jump on the front brake. THe bike shudders. I stop, catch my nerves and restart. THe abs resets and all is well. I go 90 and the abs is fine now. I go 120 and the abs is fine now. The problem seems to have corrected itself. I get to Hermys and he runs the computer and finds NO faults..... hmmmm...... now that is a little strange..... but, the throttle is sticking again and Herm actually gets to witness the hang time for the return of the throttle after letting it go. Thank God, it is really wild while he messes with it. He then installs new software, I can only presume it is 9.1 on the original ecu. This bike was very early production, March 2006. I test the beast, all is well. Actually, the bike is better than it ever has been. I am pleased for the 65 mile ride home. I pull into the garage, kick out the sidestand and kill the key. I return the key to plug in the charger and I notice the abs is a whining as if applied. This is with the bike not started. I pet the beast and smile and go to dinner. After dinner , I return, turn on the key without starting and the abs is not whining. I smile and post my experience..... Good Night. Oh, Herm ordered an airbox for the beast.... they were back ordered anyway!

THESE MAY WELL BE THE MOST COMPLICATED MACHINES EVER BUILT BY MAN....damn i sure wish i had my 1978 R100S...its been down hill sence! ADVANCES, PROGRESS.....BAHHHHH_HUMMMMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via AIM to chebard

OK Greg , here is where I need a little help and feed back. I have an 06 K12GT with 9.1 and the ecu is BSMK 7 702076-01 . When Hermy's installed 9.1 the bike started running better than ever. The hang was gone and the high idle was gone. I was sure that we were out of the woods for good. Today I rode 300+ miles and in the last mile the throttle started to hang. The hang was for 2-5 seconds and the idle was also high. I am sooo disapointed. There has been no air box or retape done. The hang is now worse than it was before.

I also am plagued with the ABS shutting off several times today. This was a problem that I had on a return trip from Tennesee. The rear disc brake spline was worn away and Hermy decided to change the entire rear drive assembly. When the ABS goes out, so does the speedo and cruise control. Manual braking is still present. The ABS problem may not be connected to the final drive, I am not sure.

Please let me know what you think I should do now???

-Perry in Pennsylvania ( better yet, call me on my cell : 570.540.0143 please!)
Old 07-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Getting up to speed

I believe upgrading the software will NOT do it without the airbox. My dealer told me that they wouldn't do it without the airbox change. I had it done and have ridden over 1000 miles and no problems. The bike pulls hard from every gear and does so without hesitation. I would get your dealer to replace the airbox.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via AIM to chebard

My dealer has an airbox on order for me.. Thanks for the input !
Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebard
OK Greg , here is where I need a little help and feed back. I have an 06 K12GT with 9.1 and the ecu is BSMK 7 702076-01 . When Hermy's installed 9.1 the bike started running better than ever. The hang was gone and the high idle was gone. I was sure that we were out of the woods for good. Today I rode 300+ miles and in the last mile the throttle started to hang. The hang was for 2-5 seconds and the idle was also high. I am sooo disapointed. There has been no air box or retape done. The hang is now worse than it was before.

I also am plagued with the ABS shutting off several times today. This was a problem that I had on a return trip from Tennesee. The rear disc brake spline was worn away and Hermy decided to change the entire rear drive assembly. When the ABS goes out, so does the speedo and cruise control. Manual braking is still present. The ABS problem may not be connected to the final drive, I am not sure.

Please let me know what you think I should do now???

-Perry in Pennsylvania ( better yet, call me on my cell : 570.540.0143 please!)

oh my
i'm not happy to hear this

the new onset "HANG" is probably the bottom-leaking AIRBOX issue
as for the ABS going out and all that accompanies THAT problem...
i want to blame that OLD ECU
but... with the past rear brake spline of the past.... i'm not quite sure

your PARTICULAR problem is something we haven't heard of before.... i'm pretty sure

i demand the NEW ECU, of course
but, i'm NOT quite sure that YOUR issues will be entirely solved by that

i'm almost POSITIVE that the airbox needs to be removed and taped up (at the bottom)

there is NO NEW AIRBOX yet....
but, all evidence states that THERE WILL BE

2007 K1200GT
2011 R1200GS Adventure (now a SIDECAR RIG by DMC)

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Old 07-01-2007, 10:03 PM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarcher
I believe upgrading the software will NOT do it without the airbox. My dealer told me that they wouldn't do it without the airbox change. I had it done and have ridden over 1000 miles and no problems. The bike pulls hard from every gear and does so without hesitation. I would get your dealer to replace the airbox.

replace the airbox all you want
but.... the replacement IS 100% THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL
bmw has NOT made a "NEW" airbox yet
so....
IF YOU have the new one put in...
make sure they tape it just like they would an old one

again..... the air "SEEMS" to leak in AT THE BOTTOM

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Unhappy Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

So I am sitting here thinking about poor Greg (and apparently many of you). I have a very nice Harley without ANY problems whatsoever. I wonder if I am just asking for problems by buying a 07 GT (I am also considering a Ducati). I had a 2002 540i which is why I am considering this bike.

Greg, how much time in total have you spent "dealing with this problem?" My dealership is in downtown Seattle and I live 40 miles East of there. I have to admit that I am pretty surprised by all of this.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:47 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
So I am sitting here thinking about poor Greg (and apparently many of you). I have a very nice Harley without ANY problems whatsoever. I wonder if I am just asking for problems by buying a 07 GT (I am also considering a Ducati). I had a 2002 540i which is why I am considering this bike.

Greg, how much time in total have you spent "dealing with this problem?" My dealership is in downtown Seattle and I live 40 miles East of there. I have to admit that I am pretty surprised by all of this.

welcome to the forum
i've ridden over 200,000 miles on BMWs over the years.... and i wouldn't have any other touring bike

i owned a harley softail class 15 years ago.....
nice bike

but....
a BMW isn't a harley
you talk about not having any problems with the H-D
and.... that is fine
but, BMW technology is 50 years AHEAD of your H-D
i mean no disrespect to your current ride

the GT will be the finest bike YOU'VE EVER RIDDEN
this will be something you'll realize 10 seconds after leaving the dealership

one thing
you talked about taking a test ride with your wife

it's a solid idea to ride ANY NEW BIKE 1,000 miles before allowing a passenger to climb aboard, especially when that bike is "new" to you

i know you love your wife...... so, get to know your new bike before taking her along

sure..... 1,000 miles sounds like a lot on an H-D... but, you'll ride that many within the first 2 weeks of ownership

you'll love the GT...
any one you'd buy now will have the NEW ECU/you'll have no problems

buy the bike and spend a lot of time with us here
soon..... YOU'LL BE THE ONE singing the praises of BMW to other folks who are thinking of buying one

good luck

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
replace the airbox all you want
but.... the replacement IS 100% THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL
bmw has NOT made a "NEW" airbox yet
so....
IF YOU have the new one put in...
make sure they tape it just like they would an old one

again..... the air "SEEMS" to leak in AT THE BOTTOM
That's all well and good Greg. Whatever they did...it worked and there is no visible tape on it. Guess I am either lucky or am sitting on a time bomb Dunno.

Question for you....where did your mechanic get the idea of taping the airbox anyway?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
That's all well and good Greg. Whatever they did...it worked and there is no visible tape on it. Guess I am either lucky or am sitting on a time bomb Dunno.

Question for you....where did your mechanic get the idea of taping the airbox anyway?

everyone is taping the airbox now
that has been a DIRECTIVE from BMW for months
when the airbox issue first began, it was noted by some tech, somewhere
that air was leaking from the bottom and affecting the oxygen sensor

it came across that "INSIDE DEALER WEBSITE"
miles knows the name, i forget

every dealer knows about this
if your's doesn't..... they OUGHT to educate themselves
this is NOT secret info.... i promise

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Getting up to speed

Being that they are the #1 dealer on the east coast I am sure that they are educated on the matter. They may have taped it and I simply can't see it. I wasn't standing over them when they did the work. All I know is that whatever they did worked.
I was just wondering where the taping concept came from. If you say that was in the bulletin...then I am sure they followed it.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
Being that they are the #1 dealer on the east coast I am sure that they are educated on the matter. They may have taped it and I simply can't see it. I wasn't standing over them when they did the work. All I know is that whatever they did worked.
I was just wondering where the taping concept came from. If you say that was in the bulletin...then I am sure they followed it.

i'm really sure what it was about
but, my dealer tapes them all
on the bottom
and.....
so do folks all over the country

NY
Atlanta
Seattle
Texas

i hope your dealer did

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Getting up to speed

Maybe he just used some magic dust.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
Maybe he just used some magic dust.

ah......
if only i had some of that

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Site Contributor

If they are indeed taping it. (Which BTW, BMW, THAT IS SOOOO LAME) And as the good Doc has said if it is on the underside of the box, it has to be taped around the idle valve.

http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?...0&d=1171679874

Maybe they just taped some heat reflective tape over the entire bottom? Cause it's hard to see just taping up that irregularly shaped area around the valve...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
If they are indeed taping it. (Which BTW, BMW, THAT IS SOOOO LAME) And as the good Doc has said if it is on the underside of the box, it has to be taped around the idle valve.

http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?...0&d=1171679874

Maybe they just taped some heat reflective tape over the entire bottom? Cause it's hard to see just taping up that irregularly shaped area around the valve...

i think you are right
and..... IT IS LAME, of course

there is no new airbox yet
every "NEW" one being installed nowis 100% THE SAME AS THE OLD ONE
even MORE LAME

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:

i know you love your wife...... so, get to know your new bike before taking her along

sure..... 1,000 miles sounds like a lot on an H-D... but, you'll ride that many within the first 2 weeks of ownership

Thanks for that input. I did take the bike out before I took my wife along. I cant say that I "got to know it" by only riding 10-15 miles. I absolutely fell in love with the brakes. The Harley has much worse brakes but is over 200 lbs heaver. I am not buying this for technology sake. I happen to love technology and work for a little software outfit in Redmond WA. But I also know that sometimes technology can get in the way of actually using a product. I still love Harleys. They are wonderfuly simple creatures, non complicated and at least now (not before), well engineered. But I think we're ready for a new Sport Touring direction.

The main reason I am thinking about this is so my wife and I can go on longer rides together so she's 100% important to this decision. She LOVED it by the way and has actually given me the green light to do this if I want. We'll see...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
Thanks for that input. I did take the bike out before I took my wife along. I cant say that I "got to know it" by only riding 10-15 miles. I absolutely fell in love with the brakes. The Harley has much worse brakes but is over 200 lbs heaver. I am not buying this for technology sake. I happen to love technology and work for a little software outfit in Redmond WA. But I also know that sometimes technology can get in the way of actually using a product. I still love Harleys. They are wonderfuly simple creatures, non complicated and at least now (not before), well engineered. But I think we're ready for a new Sport Touring direction.

The main reason I am thinking about this is so my wife and I can go on longer rides together so she's 100% important to this decision. She LOVED it by the way and has actually given me the green light to do this if I want. We'll see...

sounds like you are on the right track
i wasn't meaning to sound PREACHY by my thoughts about your wife riding so early on a new bike

OF COURSE she is important in your decision
trust me.....
she'll forget ALL ABOUT YOUR Harleys..... 2 miles down the road

the BMW is INFINITELY more comfortable
you know what makes THAT so?
SAFETY

as you said..... H-D STILL doesn't give a crap about it's customers as their brakes CONTINUE to be the WORST IN THE INDUSTRY
and they will NEVER fix that problem

under-powered
under-braked

buy the BMW.... and you'll soon be the one to be seeing ALL OF THE MANY FAULTS in your IRON HORSE

as a MICROSOFT MAN....
i'll put it this way

THAT BMW is running VISTA BUSINESS....
the H-D is running CMOS from the Radio Shack Model 3.... circa 1981
and THAT IS A BAD THING

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
THAT BMW is running VISTA BUSINESS....
the H-D is running CMOS from the Radio Shack Model 3.... circa 1981
and THAT IS A BAD THING
. You've got my number...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
. You've got my number...

i KNEW you'd like that one

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Getting up to speed

I am another one who suffered from airboxitis. Darkarcher and I share the same dealer. This weekend was the first weekend after having the airbox replaced with a "new" (not just another airbox but the remade/truly new airbox - its what the service manager told me when I asked).

Took the bike on a multi-state (VA, WV, MD, PA, OH, KY) 1,580 mile ride combining interstate, state and federal highways, county roads, flatland and moutain (well, at least by Eastern standards). Airbox replacement cured the problems.

Of course, my karma with this bike continues: the highbeam quit working on Sunday. Hopefully, just a burned out bulb - I did not feel like messing with it in Kentucky.

Steve
Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
i KNEW you'd like that one

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. Also in the software business. I'd give Vista Business, a "BMW" circa 1979. On the other hand, Mac OSX deserves the comparo to a modern BMW, but maybe more like circa 2015.

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 K1200GT CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. Also in the software business. I'd give Vista Business, a "BMW" circa 1979. On the other hand, Mac OSX deserves the comparo to a modern BMW, but maybe more like circa 2015.
Oh boy.. here we go.....
Old 07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
The Inspector

Quote:

i have a powerbook 17"
and a few Dells..... no choice since my medical office is run on a windows-based software design

i've always had macs
i was just trying to put it into some MICROSOFT terms for our friend

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Oh boy.. here we go.....

ducati vs. mv agusta
mercedes vs. bmw
ford vs. chevy

it never ends

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
ducati vs. mv agusta
mercedes vs. bmw
ford vs. chevy

it never ends
Hey, lets REALLY start a holy war.

Republican vs. Democrat
Conservative vs Liberal
Pro Choice - Pro Life
Mary-Ann vs. Ginger
Hip-Hop vs Alt vs Country

Let's just say that differences make the world go around, and diff strokes for diff folks. And for the record, I also have a MacBook Pro (I'm a starving musician and photographer).
Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Hey, lets REALLY start a holy war.

Republican vs. Democrat
Conservative vs Liberal
Pro Choice - Pro Life
Mary-Ann vs. Ginger
Hip-Hop vs Alt vs Country

Let's just say that differences make the world go around, and diff strokes for diff folks. And for the record, I also have a MacBook Pro (I'm a starving musician and photographer).

you already fit in quite well here.....
whether you buy that bike or not..... i hope you'll stick around and contribute often

i'm glad you are here

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Postmeister

a bit back on topic....for those who are techs........what about JB weld around Idle Air Valve?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegun
a bit back on topic....for those who are techs........what about JB weld around Idle Air Valve?

Racegun - could you expand on this. Don't know what a 'JB' is.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
Racegun - could you expand on this. Don't know what a 'JB' is.

it is an epoxy/metal mixture..check it out!

.http://jbweld.net/index.php

Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegun
it is an epoxy/metal mixture..check it out!

.http://jbweld.net/index.php

Seems too good to be true. Cleanup up with soap and water? Electrical insulator? Gotta try some of this stuff.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Site Contributor

What happens when your idle valve needs replacing?

If you JB weld it, you'll have to change the whole airbox.

BTW, I've tried JB weld on a cylinder head once and leaky coolant pipes. Doesn't hold up as well as they claim. (But what's new. A product that doesn't live up to the hype?)
Old 07-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Postmeister

JB weld like all products has its good and bad points.

I fixed a cracked tracktor engine block ( cracked from hard freeze) and it worked. For sure that spot was not under stress, cause jb would not have kept crack from continuing. I fixed other similar problems with mixed results. Its better to try if it is as all possible. Also, alot depends on the preparation and the "chanic" doing the job.. ( big time).

As for the need for new air box if he uses JB weld............NAW !!!!! Ever heard of a dremel tool w/ cut off wheel?

Its interesting to me, to see responses from those with limited field experience in the realm of esoteric mechanical repair!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Lost in the Dark

Man, I'm screwed...Or so it would seem. After suffering 10 months through Kawasaki's games and waiting for the release of their Concours 14, I finally decided to buy a 2007 K1200GT. I almost bought this bike last fall, but Big K had me dazzled with hollow promises. I rode the new Concours and went straight to BMW, didn't even go home first.

Now, I'm completely freaked! I read the first 100 posts and the last page of this thread. My new KGT is sitting in some wharehouse in New Jersy (I think). I'm terrified that my new $25000 motorcycle will be a nightmare. I haven't taken delivery yet, should I forfeit my deposit and buy an other bike?

Several of you responded to my "prepurchase" thread, months ago, inquiring about the GT and any issues, and I never heard anything about this.

I understand the ECU issue, but how can I tell if my new GT has the new ECU?

I don't completely understand how the warped airbox causes high idle?

What's the deal with the center stand?

And did I read some posts about a final drive problem in this thread?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm shocked that I'm about to take delivery of a $25K motorcycle that may or may not be safe.

My wife and I have owned other BMW products and NEVER had an issue. As a matter of fact one of their cars saved her life a little over a year ago.

Please help. I'd gladly sacrifice a $500 deposit, rather than buy a $25000 lemon.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,206 Times in 494 Posts

Calm down, your new bike will have the new ECU, it will run perfectly and you will love it. I have probably the 1st GT sold in NJ with over 20,000 miles on it. Is it perfect no(there's no perfect machine), I have the high idle problem part of pretty much every ride. Even with that it's the best sport tourer there is . Just be prepared to buy a lot of tires.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Site Contributor

In all likelyhood you will not experience any major problems. Once you get the bike and ride it some, you will fall in love. Very few of us who have experienced these problems would dream of giving up our GTs.

Be sure your first service at 600 miles includes a rear drive oil change.

The new ECU is labelled BMSK-P, instead of BMSK. Lift the pillion seat and you can read the ECU model under the rider seat.

If your bike has ASC, then you've got the new ECU, regardless of when or where you purchased it.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billg
Calm down, your new bike will have the new ECU, it will run perfectly and you will love it. I have probably the 1st GT sold in NJ with over 20,000 miles on it. Is it perfect no(there's no perfect machine), I have the high idle problem part of pretty much every ride. Even with that it's the best sport tourer there is . Just be prepared to buy a lot of tires.

ditto

exactly.....
new bike
new ECU
no problem

the concours will be a great bike....
but it will NEVER be a BMW K1200GT

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Lost in the Dark

I'm prepared, the ZZR1200 I'm moving off of can eat tires pretty fast, too. Ran one to the chords in 4200 miles. I hope the GT doesn't eat them that fast.

So, the latest GTs pretty much have the bugs worked out? It's limited to the early production 2007s?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Old ECU, 7.1 software no problems. Enjoying every minute of it....
Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 PM

My '06 has been perfect from Day One. I would buy another one in a second. I'm on my second set of tires at 14k km.

I ride hard and fast. The boys in the club call Katie the "Starship Enterprise".

You're going to love this bike. Welcome to the Star Fleet!!

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 K1200GT CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Getting up to speed

Don't worry, I bought a used 07 (early one) with 2500 miles on it and have ridden it for a couple of months now with NO problems. Old computer, no upgrades or flashes. Runs great. No worry! Sometimes people that have very frustrating problems with their bikes will vent here over and over. It suddenly seems that everyone has the same problem. It's the same with almost any vehicle. If there wasn't the internet, you and I would probably never hear about any of this.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdr
Don't worry, I bought a used 07 (early one) with 2500 miles on it and have ridden it for a couple of months now with NO problems. Old computer, no upgrades or flashes. Runs great. No worry! Sometimes people that have very frustrating problems with their bikes will vent here over and over. It suddenly seems that everyone has the same problem. It's the same with almost any vehicle. If there wasn't the internet, you and I would probably never hear about any of this.

while i appreciate your point
in THIS case...... you are completely wrong

the number of bikes affected by this issue is in the HUNDREDS..... a HUGE percentage considering how FEW bikes BMW puts out

i've been around the internet a long, long time... and know EXACTLY what you are saying

but, in THIS case, the early '07 K1200GT bike with the OLD ECU have problems... at an alarming rate

i'm glad your's doesn't
but.... mine, and countless more like them, DID

no offense intended, but THIS is one flame that DID need flaming.... i promise you

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM
The Inspector

notice, however.... that despite all of this, i told him to buy the bike
and i'd buy another one in a minute
now that mine is fixed.... i'm 100% happy and wouldn't hesitate to buy another

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Lost in the Dark

Okay, I'm relieved to hear that. My GT should be at the dealership within a week give or take a few days. I'm going to do the 600 mile break in, get my service done and head out on a long trip. I'm excited to finally get the BMW as I have been reading about and admiring this bike since it was released.

I hope everything goes smoothly, and I never have to deal with the problems I read about. Good luck to those afflicted, may the solution find you quickly.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Entering the on-ramp

by August 2007 there will be a recall from BMW for the K1200GT:
New airbox, new idle controler, new stepper motor and new rods system to be fitted. Once that is done, software V 9.2
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by prive
by August 2007 there will be a recall from BMW for the K1200GT:
New airbox, new idle controler, new stepper motor and new rods system to be fitted. Once that is done, software V 9.2

interesting first post
welcome to the forum

can i ask:

1. who are you?
2. how do you know that?
3. what is a "new rods system to be fitted?"

i'm going to have trouble letting them touch my bike again, quite honestly

we'll have to see
and......
there will be hundreds of GT owners standing in line for this VERY EXPENSIVE RECALL from BMW

it's going to cost BMW a fortune

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-11-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
there will be hundreds of GT owners standing in line for this VERY EXPENSIVE RECALL from BMW

it's going to cost BMW a fortune

I remember when BMW had to replace most of the V8's in the 5 and 7 series back in the 1990's. Now that did cost them a fortune!!!!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
93 K1100RS
06 K1200GT
Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcooper
I remember when BMW had to replace most of the V8's in the 5 and 7 series back in the 1990's. Now that did cost them a fortune!!!!

93 K1100RS
06 K1200GT

when all is said and done, someone will have to answer for how this bad design got on their flagship bike

of course..... it'll be behind doors and we'll never hear ANY of it

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
when all is said and done, someone will have to answer for how this bad design got on their flagship bike

of course..... it'll be behind doors and we'll never hear ANY of it

Jeez Greg, you've gotta take a pill or something. I just "feel" the way you're stressing out on this. It's not healthy man. And you know it.

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 K1200GT CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Jeez Greg, you've gotta take a pill or something. I just "feel" the way you're stressing out on this. It's not healthy man. And you know it.

i'm not stressed at all about this
just stating my feelings

of course.....
as i type this i'm on Tampa International Airports free WiFi... and my laptop
our FLIGHT to NYC is delayed.... 2 hours because of weather

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=OKX&lat=40.77455139&lon=-73.87463379&label=La+Guardia+Airport%2C+NY&type=N0R&zoommode =pan&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=477&centery=220&prevzoom=zo om&num=6&delay=15&scale=0.75&noclutter=0&showstorms=0&showla bels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0

so.....
my stress level at THIS point.... IS a bit high

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
The Inspector

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
i'm not stressed at all about this
just stating my feelings

of course.....
as i type this i'm on Tampa International Airports free WiFi... and my laptop

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=OKX&lat=40.77455139&lon=-73.87463379&label=La+Guardia+Airport%2C+NY&type=N0R&zoommode =pan&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=477&centery=220&prevzoom=zo om&num=6&delay=15&scale=0.75&noclutter=0&showstorms=0&showla bels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0

so.....

My son's interning in NYC right now. Enjoy the trip and chill baby.

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 K1200GT CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Old 07-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
ias i type this i'm on Tampa International Airports free WiFi... and my laptop

so.....

We old pilots have a saying " If you are in a hurry, DON"T Fly "

93 K1100RS ( Faster than my Dad first airplane! )
06 K1200GT ( Faster than most of the rest of them! )
Old 07-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Getting up to speed

So what exactly is wrong with your bike now Greg? I thought it was fixed?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

And as you know, my daughter is interning in NYC, too. Pediatrics. Enjoy your trip.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
you got it....
we are at the gate
the plane will leave at 8:50 pm
but, i'll miss my late-night mussles and belgian chocolates at RESTO...

www.restonyc.com

they stop serving at 0100

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcooper
We old pilots have a saying " If you are in a hurry, DON"T Fly "

93 K1100RS ( Faster than my Dad first airplane! )
06 K1200GT ( Faster than most of the rest of them! )

yep....
that seems to be the truth on most occasions these days

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
So what exactly is wrong with your bike now Greg? I thought it was fixed?

my bike IS 100% FINE
we were talking about the soon-to-come FINAL "FIX" from BMW

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:43 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
And as you know, my daughter is interning in NYC, too. Pediatrics. Enjoy your trip.

did you read my PM about that very subject last night?

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
did you read my PM about that very subject last night?

Yes - trying to get her on the phone is almost as difficult as getting BMW to fix these bikes. 16 hour days - you may remember that.