I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

chest rest, riding position, short rider

Hello all,
I've had a k1200rs for about 4 years now, putting 28k miles on it. I'm 5'5", and I find the riding position not the greatest, usually lasting about 1 to 1.5 hrs before needing a 10 min break. I have read, and apply, the riding position advice such as weight centered over pegs, tensing my back to keep weight off the arms, etc. I'm in good shape, doing crossfit, some MX, etc so fitness isn't an issue.

I currently have 1" barbacks which help a little. Pegs are in the low position. Seat is in the low position, I'm too short to feel comfortable stopping with the seat high (I've tried it).

Generally, discomfort sets in at my lower back from keeping it tensed, the legs from being in 1 bent position for an hour, and the hands after I relax my back transfering my weight to the hands for a while. If I rest on the tank, with my torso angled foward more, my back neck then gets tired holding my head further up. Discomfort sets in quickest when riding on the freeway. Long sessions on mild twisties at a relaxed pace are fine, no discomfort.

So what I do on the freeway is shift positions as needed during the ride, using and resting different muscles, along with the frequent breaks.

My question is has anyone, especially of my stature, tried a chest rest on the tank? Could be as simple as finding the right size tank bag, especially one with an adjustable position, such as the krieg setup. My thinking is that this could allow me to relax my back, keep the load off my arms, and keep me more upright than laying on the tank, so my neck isn't tiring out holding my head up.

I'm tempted to try a bike with a more upright riding position like a g650gs, but I imagine it won't be a cure-all.

Regards,
Ben
Old 09-03-2017, 03:54 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007
Thanked 1,005 Times in 435 Posts

Re: chest rest, riding position, short rider

I have a 2000 KRS and find it most comfortable when sitting upright with my feet on the rear pegs. The heals hold my feet and my back stays straight up and down. Kinda like those ergonomic chairs with your knees pointing down. I have cruise control so my right hand holds the front brake reservoir and my left is usually behind the tank bag in my lap. I can run until I need gas.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
2000 K1200RS RED
2017 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
2018 BMW S1000R Catalano Gray

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Different every day

I had a Bagster tank cover and tank bag on my RS. The bag got quite high when unzipped and fully expanded. I used to stuff it full of towels to make it as high as possible. I could lay on that thing all day. I used a block of foam to rest the chin bar of my helmet on and I could practically fall asleep. I covered a lot of miles like that. Looks weird. I had lots of towels, though, if I needed them.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
I had a Bagster tank cover and tank bag on my RS. The bag got quite high when unzipped and fully expanded. I used to stuff it full of towels to make it as high as possible. I could lay on that thing all day. I used a block of foam to rest the chin bar of my helmet on and I could practically fall asleep. I covered a lot of miles like that. Looks weird. I had lots of towels, though, if I needed them.

Do the same with the BIG Marsee bag but I use my rain gear..
Old 09-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Entering the on-ramp

BillA, do you know the tank bag and foam size or height you used, and how tall are you?
Old 09-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Different every day

Here's a pic of the bag when fully expanded. It's not really stuffed in this pic.

The foam block was about 6x6x8". I'm around 5'10".
Old 09-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Cool, thanks. I'll experiment using stuff laying around at home to figure out what size bag I need.
Thanks all!
Ben
Old 09-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Shooting the gap

I know this would change the look of the bike a bit but you could put an '06+ K1200GT bar assembly on it. That would move your chest to a more vertical position and would relieve the pressure on your low back. The knees you probably couldn't do much about though but moving your torso upright may take some of the pressure off of them. You might have to lengthen the cables and lines though.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:16 PM
John Muir Trail Enthusiast

If you are relaxing your back, and your weight is being transferred to the bars, then I'd say the reach is too far forward. Or, you have too much wind protection! I have perfected my windscreen to give just the right amount of windblast, to take the weight off my hands while my back is relaxed. I did the Canada ride, 3500+ miles with this windscreen. I never had a complaint. No wind buffeting either! I say, why not give it a try? Get a used "short shield", then start cutting it down, a few inches, and then one inch more and more until you get the desired result. Only cut down the center, or it'll look doofy. Also, it's very strange to me, but the cut down short shield works best in the "UP" position. If it's in the down position I get buffeting. There's something about the angle or the amount of air going under the screen, I don't know, it just works. Alternatively, leaving the short shield stock and uncut, in the low position, or the up position, created turbulence. So again, I say cut it down, put it in the "Up" position and enjoy the ride, and the view. OK, OK, OK, one more thing... I found the bars to be the wrong angle for my wrists. There is a small allen bolt under the triple tree that keeps the bar risers fixed and secure in position. At your own risk, they can be removed, then you can loosen the big allen bolt and adjust the angle of the bars. I moved my bars by angling them in toward me a bit. It had the unexpected effect of raising the bars and straightening my back! I then drilled, tapped, screwed, and "pinned" the risers so that they would not twist.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Postmeister

Didn't someone put a set or R1100/1150 bars on a "K" bike a few years back?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Twisted Wrister

I have a sort of chest-rest going now, though inadvertent. I'm 6' 2", and at speeds under 65mph there is not enough wind on my chest to take weight off my hands and wrists. I have standard bars, but wish they were 1/2 inch further back.

I've always run a tank bag, and I have the BMW bag on my 2015 K1300s MS.

I quickly noticed an issue with wind when I added the tank bag. There is a really strong wind that flows down over my chest at speed, and that wind badly ripples my lighter jackets. Very annoying at best. I noticed that if I leaned into the tank bag, it cut off the wind and eliminated the rippling.

So I bought a simply waist bag and stuck it on the tank bag. I can rotate it to the front if I wand some wind, or if I'm wearing a heavy jacket, etc. I can rotate it to the back to block the wind.

It works great blocking the breeze. An unexpected benefit is being able to lean on it somewhat, though it is not ideal for that job. I put an old first aid kit in the waist bag to fill it out and give it some cushion, and it's soft to lean against.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I determined what height tank bag I needed, and bought a cortech bag. Craig, thanks for bringing up the wind issue. I didn't think that a tank bag would affect the airflow. Once it arrives, I'll test it and post how it worked out.
Ben
Old 09-18-2017, 12:21 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Riding impressions with my new CORTECH 2.0 18L tank bag:
Freeway: It works great as a chest rest. I can also rest the lower lip of my helmet on it, but road surface roughness and vibrations come thru the helmet.

Twisties: I know the KRS is not a sportbike, but I live in the boonies 12 miles down a twisty. I don't like the bag here because I can't tuck. It's fine if I feel like going slow
Old 09-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtenthusiast
OK, OK, OK, one more thing... I found the bars to be the wrong angle for my wrists. There is a small allen bolt under the triple tree that keeps the bar risers fixed and secure in position. At your own risk, they can be removed, then you can loosen the big allen bolt and adjust the angle of the bars. I moved my bars by angling them in toward me a bit. It had the unexpected effect of raising the bars and straightening my back! I then drilled, tapped, screwed, and "pinned" the risers so that they would not twist.

Did you use the same small allen bolt in the same hole to 'pin' the risers?
More detail or pictures would be great.

Thanks, Phil

+ others
2000 HD Road King - traded in
2009 HD Road King
1995 K75S - traded in
2002 K1200RS - traded in
2005 R1200GS - sold
1990 K100 -sold
1997 K1100RS - sold
2004 K1200GT - traded in
2013 K1300S 30yr ann - sold