I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > All 'Other' Motorcycles
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

All 'Other' Motorcycles Discussions of other than BMW Motorcycles

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Twisted Wrister

Ducati demo rides for 2018

Ducati Begins Riding Demos for 2018 Lineup
With Spring just weeks away, Ducati rolls out its dealership season opener demo ride event.
After a successful 2017, Ducati hits the ground running in 2018 with its Season Opener Event at (participating) North American Ducati dealerships. The two-day event starts March 2, 2018, and gives riders a chance to demo ride the entire 2018 fleet, including the brand new MotoGP-derived Panigale V4 superbike.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Ducati demo rides for 2018

I'm not in the market for a DucatI but it might be a lot of fun to checkout one of their demo days. That's if they actually let you ride the bikes. I went to a BMW demo day and we never got over 40 mph. :-(
Old 03-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Twisted Wrister

I guess it depends on the dealer and their demo fleet plan.. but mine just about through the keys at ya and tells ya to go to it..
Old 03-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,545 Times in 3,223 Posts

Same around here almost all the dealers will let you demo anything they have for sale. If they know you they will let you go for a good test ride - not one of those take it down the road a few miles and come right back.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Same around here almost all the dealers will let you demo anything they have for sale. If they know you they will let you go for a good test ride - not one of those take it down the road a few miles and come right back.

The BMW demo day ride I went on was sponsored by corporate HQ''s, they had a 40 foot trailer and hauled around their current line up of bikes. The ride was lead by corporate employees and you could ride any bike but you had to sign a release and hold harmless form. It was a good opportunity to take a few bikes out but like I mentioned in my previous post we weren't allowed to really ride the bikes. Probably due to insurance reasons plus we went out in groups of 10-15 bikes at a time and there's no way of knowing the riding ability of the guy riding in front or behind you. All the BMW dealerships in my area will allow you to take a dealer demo bike out unaccompanied on a extended test ride.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,545 Times in 3,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
The BMW demo day ride I went on was sponsored by corporate HQ''s, they had a 40 foot trailer and hauled around their current line up of bikes. The ride was lead by corporate employees and you could ride any bike but you had to sign a release and hold harmless form. It was a good opportunity to take a few bikes out but like I mentioned in my previous post we weren't allowed to really ride the bikes. Probably due to insurance reasons plus we went out in groups of 10-15 bikes at a time and there's no way of knowing the riding ability of the guy riding in front or behind you. All the BMW dealerships in my area will allow you to take a dealer demo bike out unaccompanied on a extended test ride.
The times have certainly changed. I was up in Laconia and the corporate BMW tractor trailer complete with all the models of the year and German staff were at the race track(Loudon) doing demo rides.

The staff did a 10 minute pre ride safety meeting - hammering the riders about riding safely - obeying the speed limits - must follow the leader. Had to sign the release just before heading out.

They also had a sweep rider as well - like you I thought the test ride was going to nothing short of terrible.

As it turned out my friend and I were the last two in a group of about 10. As the group was exiting the parking lot we got held up because of traffic. Maybe only 2 or 3 cars had passed and then we were on our way - the group was not in sight.

We had to ramp up to about 75 mph's to catch up to the group. After about a mile we turned off of the main route and hit some back roads - I couldn't believe it - we were doing at least 25 over the speed limit at our slowest pace.

A few times I was hitting 90 mph's and being my first time on a beemer I honestly thought the speedometer was wrong.

When we pulled in the BMW staff riders did a few minute debrief to get everyone's thoughts - I asked them what happened to the two guys that gave the riders safety meeting just before we went out?

They both had big smiles on their faces and said - they must give the speech and they make a quick determination of the group and then let us experience the BMW thing.

You know how good that test ride was? Good enough when I got home from bike week I went and put a deposit down on my first BMW a 2004 K1200GT - as they say the rest is history.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 12:20 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Most definitely...many years with multiple bike purchases definitely leads to ‘Carte Blanche’ demo access at least from my dealer..