I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Breather Hose the cause of oil usage

Hi Guys,

20180506_162816 (Medium).jpg

20180506_162351 (Medium).jpg

20180506_162155 (Medium).jpg

I have been using oil and suspected that the breather hose was the ultimate culprit. There are a number of threads here and on BMWLT forum that cover a replacement. My question is I can't seem to find a leak in the original hoses.
When I disassemble the TB's and the hose I find that oil is going into the TB's and actually appears to be going up a into the airbox, though not much, but the rubber boots above the TB's are slightly oily.
Attached are some pics I took today and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Joe
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Re: Breather Hose the cause of oil usage

There are a number of things that cause the blowby/blowback.

Blowback also looks "oily" but can be from vacuum leaks or dirty fuel injectors and/or a combination of both.

Quick explanation?

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...by/43629#43629
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Getting up to speed

Thank you for your reply.

This bike only has 20K miles on it so I would not think it is wear. Perhaps it is the breather tube. I am making one now and have also ordered O-rings for the injectors and manifolds as well as the rubber bushings between the manifolds and the TB's. The bike is 20 years old this year. Last year I did the clutch due to the slave failing and while I was in there I adjusted the valves and also changed the exhuast gaskets. Interesting that I had two intakes that were out of spec by a couple of thou.

The thing that puzzles me is that since adjusting the valves and replacing the exhaust gaskets the bike never ran so well. I mean this thing just purrs. But the sudden oil usage has me concerned as it just appeared the last 18 months or so. My oil level is slightly below the sight glass and I fill it to the middle of the glass when on the center stand.
When I took the breather tube off yesterday there was oil in the hose where it connects to the engine. That suprised me, but at least I knew where my oil was going.

One question I have and maybe you know is that breather hose connects to the top of the engine. Is that port on top of the engine supposed to function like a PVC?

I can push and pull air out of the engine thru that port when I take the oil cap off. If it reacts like a PVC it should only allow air one way.

Thank you again. I read your posts and also use Red Rubber grease. It is nice stuff.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:17 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

No PVC.Sucks them fumes out as soon as you start the engine.You may notice an irregular blip in the idle as soon as you unscrew the oil filler cap?Normal,them engines are sealed pretty tightly.

Oil consumption? I doubt it.Maybe you drained the oil with the oil cooler thermostat still open.And refilled to the bullseye engine cold?

Can take a heck of a long time in cooler weather for the oil cooler thermostat to open again and replenish the cup or so of oil that may have drained out of the cooler.

Oil consumption? 6-8oz/2000 miles of riding around here.Less on the highway in cool weather and a little more when above 100F.Not bad for that old pot....!

Ran the east/west line at the end of September last year.Topped up to the brim as in no air in sight.4300 miles later still oil in sight.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)