I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Have you ever hit a deer?
Poll Options
Have you ever hit a deer?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Have you ever hit a deer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc61
But on any given night I can count upwards of 100 deer on my commute home.

My God man. Does anyone hunt in your area?

My war story......I hit a deer while screaming between two pine trees on a dirt bike. Two things went straight back. The handle bars and me.

Oh and I hit a deer in my 68 VW Beetle. Although I was sound asleep driving when it happened so I guess it doesn't count. Poor thing probably saved me from going into the woods. Divine intervention?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:58 PM
The Terminator

I voted no - hitting a deer in our country is virtually impossible. The chances of hitting about everything else is far greater - wildlife is (apart from hedgehogs) virtually nonexistent over here. I have hit a sheep though, in Ireland a couple of years ago... A sheep crossed the road, I started breaking in our BMW car (with ABS) but I saw in my mirrors an Irishman in a Lada getting very close - so I chose to hit the sheep a little (just pushing the BMW roundel in it's rear) instead of getting the Irishman in the rear of my car...

You don't have to outrun the lion - you just have to outrun the other tourist...

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Vermonter in Exile

Send a message via Yahoo to halo99 Send a message via Skype™ to halo99

Haven't hit one yet... but with two close calls in just over a week... Hmmmm... The first was at the 2008 DGR... There was a gaggle of them (4 or so) on the shoulder as the group of 6 of us came streaming around. Luckily they all retreated into the woods... THUMP THUMP THUMP...

The second near incident was yesterday, I was on the Xmoto, on a barren little strip of road in VB. I was on the way around 3 slow cars (yes, it was a DYL), then this doe bounds out of the scrub to stop on the shoulder... SHIT! I am trying to get back into the right lane and scrub speed, she looks around and heads back into the scrub... THUMP THUMP THUMP...

I thought for sure I was going to get clocked, and since when did they start making deer that large here? They normally are little things, this one would have messed me up good. Nearly did, had it not been for the sphincter control I was exercising, I surely would have made a mess...

It probably didn't look that close to the passer-by, but, being the one speeding headlong into a venison induced funeral, it was closer than I would have preferred.

2016 S1000XR

MSF: BRC, ERC, SBRC
BMWMOA: 119931
BMWRA: 30927
IBA: 24232

Others:
2012 R1200GS Adventure
2007 BMW G650 Xmoto (KIA)
2003 K1200RS Zebra (sold to pilott)
2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa
2003 Yamaha FZS1000 FZ1
2000 HD XL1200C Sportster Custom
1999 Honda VT750 Shadow ACE
1986 Honda CB450 Nighthawk (KIA)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Had my own "near miss" on the way into DGR. I was entering a nice left hander which I took at extreme speed as it was an "open" corner (ie not around rock or tree-lined) and I could gauge the radius rather easily.

So there I was, cranked over, extreme speed and mid corner... I looked to the exit and see a big MF doe standing right at the edge of the pavement!

I slow down as best I can without breaking my tires free and thankfully at the last second the ole girl deceided to head away from me - which was a GREAT choice.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Only when I got mad at it.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I voted yes, but actually the deer jumped into the side of my 78 VW Dasher breaking its neck.

Last year I hit a black Yamaha Mio which darted in front of me, with the 1100GS. Destroyed the Mio, miraculously the girl riding (no helmet or protection) the Mio wasn't even scratched.
I landed on my shoulder and slid down the highway a piece (full padded riding gear saved my hide). GS got a bent fork, wheel, and swing arm
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Hitting deer... Not me but anyway...

The USCG just had a C130 hit a deer on the runway down in E-City NC.

Brand new J model too... I asked my J model friend why, with all of their new technology, do they not have whistles mounted?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilei
Hitting deer... Not me but anyway...

The USCG just had a C130 hit a deer on the runway down in E-City NC.

Brand new J model too... I asked my J model friend why, with all of their new technology, do they not have whistles mounted?

I think deer whistles work, Kyle. When my late business partner Suze Mann ran the Iron Butt endurance rally, several bikes were put out of the competition by collisions with animals. Suze had deer whistles installed on her K100RS and never saw a live wild animal during the entire run. She saw a lot of them dead by the road. The rally went through Montana at night during the full moon.

I used them for years when I was on the road as a motorcycle accessories rep with similar results.

Al
Old 10-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,183 Posts

On the way to the Sierra Gold Country rally we were 20 minutes out of Lakeview Oregon headed south on 395. It was still pre dawn. (never going to ride in deer country in the dark again) My friends had gotten ahead of me a mile or so, I thought I would close it up some. I was going a little north of 80 mph and coming up on one of my fellow riders. I went to low beam on the lights as to not be a pest. It was too dark. I turned the brights back on and there was the sucker in the on coming lane to my left. As I came up to it, the deer lunged at me and hit the bike at the left front fork. Took all the plastic on the left side off, ripped out the radiator, took the rear turn signal, smacked my leg, left various electrical goodies dangling from the bike. I stayed up and thought maybe a little duct tape would solve the problems until I noticed the temperature climbing. I pulled over and the ride was finished. The bike will be back together in a few days after the infusion of 3K+. I have diminished good feelings about this '08 K and am using it as an excuse to get the new K1300S which I have a deposite on with Southsound in Fife. In general it happens fast. Swerving leads to going off the road or going down, neither good. I held steady hoping the deer would do a 180. Then I just concentrated on staying up and not letting the impact move me off the pavement. Very big lessons learned here for me. beech
Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsaalva@c
I think deer whistles work, Kyle. When my late business partner Suze Mann ran the Iron Butt endurance rally, several bikes were put out of the competition by collisions with animals. Suze had deer whistles installed on her K100RS and never saw a live wild animal during the entire run. She saw a lot of them dead by the road. The rally went through Montana at night during the full moon.

I used them for years when I was on the road as a motorcycle accessories rep with similar results.

Al
My laughs are not at deer whistles, I grew up in Wyoming and saw them work. My laughing smiles are for the thought that we need them on a CG C-130 cargo plane that hit a deer recently.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Vermonter in Exile

Send a message via Yahoo to halo99 Send a message via Skype™ to halo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilei
My laughs are not at deer whistles, I grew up in Wyoming and saw them work. My laughing smiles are for the thought that we need them on a CG C-130 cargo plane that hit a deer recently.

They must have hit one of Santa's critters our for a jog... What was the altitude?

2016 S1000XR

MSF: BRC, ERC, SBRC
BMWMOA: 119931
BMWRA: 30927
IBA: 24232

Others:
2012 R1200GS Adventure
2007 BMW G650 Xmoto (KIA)
2003 K1200RS Zebra (sold to pilott)
2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa
2003 Yamaha FZS1000 FZ1
2000 HD XL1200C Sportster Custom
1999 Honda VT750 Shadow ACE
1986 Honda CB450 Nighthawk (KIA)
Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,378 Times in 858 Posts

Been close enough to reach over and touch them a couple of times.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Go Ugly Early

I had a perfect chance to get one the other day but missed. Did notice that one of 'em needed some Viseen. Must have been a tough night chasing the ladies!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 AM
Getting up to speed

Living in Australia I reckon kangaroos count as deer! I clipped a little one with the cylinder of my R80GS my years ago. Have hit a couple while riding dirt bikes on dirt but that doesn't count because I was intruding onto their turf.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,378 Times in 858 Posts

A clean hit...but graphic

http://www.break.com/index/biker_hits_deer.html
Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff
A...... I'm just wondering how many of you have actually hit a deer?
As posted prior, we've come within 2 feet of a doe at a full run, and us at 90mph at the time!! last week we saw the incident below. It happend in front of my dad's house about 3 minutes before we got there. 0 to 60 in 0.022 seconds! Bambi never stood a chance.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,108 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Missed the HD emblem

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Getting up to speed

twice in 06 on my 94 HD ultra classic.first time it was laying dead in my lane on the road.didnt see it till it was too late.lucky it was a small one.rolled right over it at 35-40mph.must have just been knocked down.a couple cars were pulled over up ahead on the right.2 months later i hit a deer on my right engine guard at about 50 mph.shook the bikes front end enough to make it wobble.in 07 i ran into one on my 97 honda valkyrie.his(her) head hit my right knee at about 40mph.havent been OFF the bike. YET. but im more afeered of DEER than anything else on the road.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
K-ruising the Hudson Valley

Two deer, two bikes. Both occasions, they T boned me more than I hit them. 1st took out my VFR at 60, second my KZ1000 I had since 77 till 2005. I second your feelings. TERRIFIED of deer. In the Hudson Valley, our country roads are lined with dense brush and woods. They just appear in your face.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Ready Let's Go

Here is a close call for your enjoyment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCOiFcWNHE&NR=1
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,035 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad
Here is a close call for your enjoyment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCOiFcWNHE&NR=1
Old 01-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Twisted Wrister

Hit one in Arkansas on my R1100S, I really miss that bike
Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,183 Posts

Found a photo of the deer experience. This is the sign I saw at 0645 and thought there might be issues. At the bottom of the sign post is my left panel. Paughco put that up for me as I was on my way home in a rental truck. beech
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 - SGR (with deer) 016.jpg (57.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Shooting the gap

Killed a nice 4pt buck on my commute home from work Sunday evening before Thanksgiving 2007. Smacked him right in the head with the V65 Magna's headlight. When I saw him in my headlight, I swerved right hoping to get past him. I lost sight of him and thought for a second I made it by.
When I heard 'pop' and the handlebars shook, I was headed for the ditch. Standing on the pegs, I used all the dirt bike tricks I knew to keep the bike upright.
Still can't believe I didn't go down.

Chris
Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Red Herring

I've hit plenty with a 270 Winchester

07 Suzuki SV1000S

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Site Contributor

PUI......

Yeah,have hit a few.The best one,and this is sooooo bad Ju-Ju even writing about it,was hit intentionally.It was a cpl years ago on my KRS.Now to begin with you have to have a sincere hate for these Mo-Fo's(MC'ly speaking)and if you don't,STOP READING NOW.
I was railing on the BRP on one of those days where everything just sort of falls in place(no-pun).Seen this smallish Doe nibbling at the rds edge on right maybe a few hundred yards ahead.Knowing their very unpredictable nature I dropped speed a bit......it was a looong Rty sweeper.Had ton's of vis,came in way left and put my knee right on her nose maybe 6'' above ground.Broke her FU*KING neck on the spot.

This is such bad karma.........I need to go kill one just to get it out of my system.My boys put a cpl in the freezer this year.We take the tenderloins and pound dry rubs in'm and slam on the barby.For years had "damage" permits for killing purposes.Farmers wanted them gone.......probably killed a cpl hundred.

You were warned.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Different every day

Yes, I was warned. You should be crucified.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
.......I'm just wondering how many of you have actually hit a deer?
Saw Bambi I run into the brush about a 1/4 mile ahead. We slowed from 80ish to maybe 30. Then Bambi II made a run for it. THCR 2009, hwy 335.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Saw Bambi I run into the brush about a 1/4 mile ahead. We slowed from 80ish to maybe 30. Then Bambi II made a run for it. THCR 2009, hwy 335.

Around here...there's always more than one. And...we always look where they came from rather than where they are going. There's usually another one lurking there, ready to mess up your day!

Old 05-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Blessed by Him

riding home late one night after getting off from work.
just turned on this road with field fence on each side of the road.
i saw the reflecting eyes of a deer up ahead on my left, behind the fence.
i was probably doing about 40 mph and something made me decelerate a little.
next thing i see is a big buck clearing the fence on my right and landing directly in front of me. i was fortunate that it continued on its forward movement and i suspect it jumped the other fence. it happened so quickly i never had a chance to apply the brakes.

i did hit a possum one night after work.
i was getting sleepy and it helped to wake me up.
Graphite, EVO filters, EVO clutch slave, LeoVince exhaust, AC Schnitzer screen,
Power-Sportego handlebar conversion, Braking Wave Rotors
Rizoma (rearsets, blinkers, mirrors, fluid pots, oil cooler cover)
Motolight, Corbin Seat & Smuggler
Old 05-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Beemer or Bimmer

How about this video? This is a new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CnuXJXhRc
Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Likes "S" bikes

Scan ahead to 1:34 for the good part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propel
How about this video? This is a new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CnuXJXhRc

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Had two close ones last Saturday. First a cager decided he wanted the lane I was in next to him when the car in front of him stopped quick to turn left. I was anticipating just that and hit the brakes hard luckily getting out of the way and simultaneously exercising my Stebel that only made him jerk left for a moment......

I decided to take the safer coastal road home from Newport and had only gone a few miles when a full size doe jumped out from the left, about the same distance as the first video. I'm not sure what happened, but when past I saw the deer in my mirror spinning in the road behind me so either it lost it's footing trying to jump, tried to do a 180 then fell down going back where it came from or I lightly clipped it, but I don't think so. Absolutely freaked me out, that stuff doesn't happen around here, plus it was the middle of the day. This was a big girl that would have done some serious damage, not one of those scrawny Texas things that look like Twiggy

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,035 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

If you ride fast enough, you can slice right through them...

http://www.ugoto.com/video_motorcycl...r-in-half.html
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
If you ride fast enough, you can slice right through them...

http://www.ugoto.com/video_motorcycl...r-in-half.html

Sure if they're Twiggy, but Rosie O'Donnell was aiming for me...

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
This was a big girl that would have done some serious damage, not one of those scrawny Texas things that look like Twiggy
I gotchur Twiggy sized deer riiiight here Rick! Hey, what our deer don't have in size, they make up for in sheer brutal numbers! Come on back down and we'll BBQ up a few roadkill... has to taste better than that snake liquor you drank recently!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
I gotchur Twiggy sized deer riiiight here Rick! Hey, what our deer don't have in size, they make up for in sheer brutal numbers! Come on back down and we'll BBQ up a few roadkill... has to taste better than that snake liquor you drank recently!

No doubt about that Pat

Hey, if you're cooking then I'm there!

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I voted yes but it was a long time ago!
I was 15 at the time and the pillion on my uncle's Yamaha RD350LC. We were in the middle of the Scottish highlands heading home, it was getting dark and a herd of stags were wandering across the road ahead, we missed a few but nailed one (luckily not the end with the antlers!) so down we went, this was in a time where mobile phones had not been invented yet so we had to wait for a while before a car came allong to take us to hospital (50 miles away), my uncle had a broken collerbone and some other cuts and grases and i had no skin left on my knees and a broken elbow cap.
Dont want to do that again i can tell ya!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Site Contributor

Well I guess my number was up. I tried to make it through Yosemite park before night fall and didn't make it.I just cleared the park and saw what looked like a giant Airedale in front of me.My goggles were covered in a days worth of bug crap and I was not seeing well.I grabbed the brake lever and hit the binders hard.The deer jumped out of the way within inches of a low speed tap.Nice night so I decided to press on to Carson city. 10:00 at night so the traffic was very light. To many cops with radar for my liking but my radar detector trusty was keeping them at bay while I took advantage of the open road. Coming out of some small town along the way I was just about to spool up the bike. Doing a sedate 50 mph looking at the buildings on the side of the road.I look a head of me and there is a big dear in front of me! I grab a hand full of clutch,and push hard on my left bar.The stupid deer lifts its head and I cold cock it with my fist.Unfortunately the bar weight on the handle bar went through it's eye. The deers leg tagged my foot and must of fell into my saddle bag. When I stopped the saddle bag strap was ripped out of the bag and my rear turn signal was gone.Moral of this story? Don't drive at night!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Moral of this story? Don't drive at night!
Glad you weren't hurt!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Exclamation Re: Have you ever hit a deer?

Amen, don't ride at night Glad you made it
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Site Contributor

Thanks Fellas.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

I have never hit a deer......with my bike......with my Chevy van, twice I had deers turn around and hit me, the third time the buck flew across my windshield, hit on the right side, smashed the whole front end, blew a tire, and left hair all the way to the top of the antenna.....$4,000.00 dammage.

On my Honda Sabre in Montana,I came upon 5 or 6 of them at dusk just past a hump on the road, I slammed on the brakes and downshifted into the red line all the way from 90 miles an hour, engine screaming all the way.....by the time I got by them I was still doing 20-30 miles an hour but managed to slalom through. They all looked at me, very unconcerned.......!It happened so fast my underwear stayed clean.....but I did have to stop after and let the adrenaline shakes go down.....!

Deer whistles do not work, unless you like to see them shake their ears a bit as you approach them.......and please avoid honking it confuses them and they may even turn back and hit you, it happened to me with my van and to two of my friends in their cars. There is a lot of deers here, I can see up to 200 in a two hours drive in the early evening, so I try to avoid riding at that time, but if I have to, extra caution is the norm. And if you see one deer, there is usualy another one or two not far away, so if one crosses the road, watch for his pals behind him, that just happened to me yesterday but I had a feeling there was more and slowed right down after I saw the first one.

So," No I never hit a deer", but just last month had to scrape some aftermath of my belly pan and fender.....Greasy and ripe smelling.....!
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/45089/

BMW vs Deer!
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

No, I haven't. But, one of our ambulances hit one on the way to the hospital. When, the tow truck brought it back to the fire house, they were backing it in and we noticed the poor deer's balls swaying from the back bumper of the Ambulance.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
No, I haven't. But, one of our ambulances hit one on the way to the hospital. When, the tow truck brought it back to the fire house, they were backing it in and we noticed the poor deer's balls swaying from the back bumper of the Ambulance.
That would be a buck unless the deer was in the middle of some sort of sex change.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Well I guess my number was up. I tried to make it through Yosemite park before night fall and didn't make it.I just cleared the park and saw what looked like a giant Airedale in front of me.My goggles were covered in a days worth of bug crap and I was not seeing well.I grabbed the brake lever and hit the binders hard.The deer jumped out of the way within inches of a low speed tap.Nice night so I decided to press on to Carson city. 10:00 at night so the traffic was very light. To many cops with radar for my liking but my radar detector trusty was keeping them at bay while I took advantage of the open road. Coming out of some small town along the way I was just about to spool up the bike. Doing a sedate 50 mph looking at the buildings on the side of the road.I look a head of me and there is a big dear in front of me! I grab a hand full of clutch,and push hard on my left bar.The stupid deer lifts its head and I cold cock it with my fist.Unfortunately the bar weight on the handle bar went through it's eye. The deers leg tagged my foot and must of fell into my saddle bag. When I stopped the saddle bag strap was ripped out of the bag and my rear turn signal was gone.Moral of this story? Don't drive at night!
biff,i ride really cautiously at nite these days.usually 45 mph or less on 2 lane roads.55 on the interstate. if cars tailgate i put on my 4 ways and pull over for them.im not in a hurry.which is the biggest mistake when on 2 wheels, especially at NITE.i just want to get home alive.my 97 triumph trophy hasnt tagged a deer YET.but its only been with me a year.youre lucky you didnt get seriously hurt.i love NITEriding but after hitting 3 deer in the last 4 years im a bit wary.2 bump and runs and i ran over a dead one.alot of people get KILLED riding at nite up here in wisconsin.especially in spring.LUCK to you!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Getting up to speed

On 4 wheels 4 deer. From a minor scratch on the bumper cover of one car to $8,000 damage to a different car.

And raccoons, porcupines, skunks (YUCK), lots of birds as well.

And ~ 4 years ago I'm driving my snowmobile on a tight twisty trail in northern Ontario, and come screaming around one corner and there, right in the middle of the trail, is a full grown bull moose. Thank god he decided he was not in a bad mood and ambled off the trail away from me. I had to re-swallow the cajones after that near miss.

2009 Magnesium Beige K1300GT
Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I hit a deer with my F350 flatbed about 5:00 in the morning on my way to work. It was a big deer, but not big enough to handle THAT truck. The only critter I have hit on a motorcycle, other than bugs and a few birds, was a beaver (use your imagination). My wife was behind me in her car and couldn't believe I just bounced right over it - the bike never wobbled. It was kinda like hitting a speed bump. This year, I promised my family I would park my bike during deer season because of the activity. Two more weeks!
'05 DL1000 VStrom
'82 Vette
'56 Gretsch Electromatic
'56 Chev Truck
'71 Jeep Commando
"Life is like driving in the mud. If you don't slow down, you might plow right through it, however, you could run out of gas."
Old 01-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Postmeister

I tagged one with the right front corner of my 64 Impala Supersport back in 71. Since then I ran across one on my R90/6. The buck stood there and challenged me to a duo so I let him have it and split his lip with a right cross. Game Warden busted me fur hittin a Deer out of season. Dang.
McWideglide
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Shooting the gap

Big problem in NW Arkansas. I was on a ride with 6 friends this fall and a buck jumped in front of the 6th rider. I was leading and never saw the deer, but fortunately noticed within a 1/4 mile that he didn't round the last curve. He was really banged up and spent a week in the hospital. He still gets migraines.
'04 K1200GT -- Went in for service and got a loaner K1200S. 'nough said
'07 K1200S -- Sold in OKC; I said I don't like city ridin'
'13 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail -- Wife says it's hers, I'm just the driver
'15 K1300S -- Wife said I needed my bike again, and some how I got to keep the Harley
Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlestina
Big problem in NW Arkansas. I was on a ride with 6 friends this fall and a buck jumped in front of the 6th rider. I was leading and never saw the deer, but fortunately noticed within a 1/4 mile that he didn't round the last curve. He was really banged up and spent a week in the hospital. He still gets migraines.

A good leader knows who is behind...

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Entering the on-ramp

The biggest I've ever came in contact with are California Ground Squirrels.

It feels like riding on Jello Gelatin.

I frequent The Rock Store in Malibu, CA when the weather is good (which is most of the time) and two Sundays ago there were several kamikaze squirrels wandering Mulholland Hwy as I approached The Rock Store.

Well, Jeff Foxworthy put it best when relating Roadkill to Being in a "Committed Relationship".
When you are committed, you go for it without ever looking back and there are good chances you'll survive.

Roadkill (i.e. the critter), well it wasn't committed. It'll stop and second guess what it just did and WHAM! Roadkill!

Oh yeah. I ran over a non-committed squirrel with my 2002 K1200RS. It was when the rear tire when over it and wiggled that I got grossed out.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,265 Times in 561 Posts

Yes but in a VW Golf late at night.

One cracked headlight and a slightly bent wing but the deer was RIP. The next morning it had gone. I hope someone had a nice venison steak.
BMW R90S
Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

yes ,I did not crash but went into very scary speed wobble.My k1200rs was covered with deer crap and fur and also 3000.00$ in damages.
malhusky
Old 03-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Cool Re: Have you ever hit a deer?

No, no deer. Missed a fox, hit a rabbit and had a bat bounce off my left shoulder.

With the car hit a duck, ran over a small turtle, two rabbits that ran off and hopefully that will be all.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Getting up to speed

Yes, three on a bike.... (plus a few other things )

Two ran into my rear quarter and I stayed upright. One ran into my front wheel from the side and down I went. Bike is incredibly stable, as long as you don't upset that front wheel.

Hate deer more than anything, 35 yrs of street riding and they easily represent the majority of my close calls, 2 or 4 wheels (Hit three more in cages, btw). It's pretty bad around here (NY tri-state area), they flourish in the suburbs where hunting is banned, plenty of manicured lawns and gardens to eat and woods to hide in. You know it's bad when the local Audubon Society opens up its property for deer hunts.

This guy has me beat though... clicky

Your best bet is to observe these statistics and play the odds game: Time of Day, Time of Year. (Stats are about the same for all northern states)
Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Knock on wood, I haven't but I've had close calls with deer, elk, cows and coyotes.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:24 AM
Things are lookin' up

Do Kangaroos count? I've scored two in my car - they are infamously unpredictable and cause plenty of damage.