I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street
Poll Options
How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street

Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street

When down once on the old R75/5. In a hurry, trying to beat the on coming traffic, so I took the turn wide and fast and found pea-gravel on the outside of turn and close sided it. I fell off and the bike kept going. It did about 3- 360s before it came to rest in the medium, scary, it thought the bike was going to get run over and I just painted it. But nothing happened, I scaped one finger, thanks for leather gloves!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Left Lane Assassin

Just went to Sears Pt(Infineon) for a spring tune up with the California Superbike school. Second session of the morning, I asked the bike to perform the right hand turn into the chicane at turn 9. No way. Front end washed out. Guess I was all warmed up but the tires weren't. Small slide and $150 to replace a frame slders and the rear brake lever. Just a bit stiff today but glad I know what it's like and reminds me to wear ATGATT! By the end of the day I was dialed in according to my instructor Pete C.
"Put a motor between your legs and anything is possible" Avatar courtesy KevinC - BRPR 2011
Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,035 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Glad you (and the bike) didn't have any serious injuries, Jim. Experience is the great teacher, and there's no reason to waste a perfectly good crash... I've always put mine to good use...
Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I "tapped" the rear end of a car while in slow traffic and the bike fell over. I wouldn't classify it as going down per se but the bike hit the ground got scratched up, broke off the front turn signal and scared the crap out of me. I was pretty new at riding then and it was my fault. Not paying attention to what was in front of me. I'll just say that hasn't been a problem since.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplount
I "tapped" the rear end of a car while in slow traffic and the bike fell over. I wouldn't classify it as going down per se but the bike hit the ground got scratched up, broke off the front turn signal and scared the crap out of me. I was pretty new at riding then and it was my fault. Not paying attention to what was in front of me. I'll just say that hasn't been a problem since.
I had witnessed a similar incident with a friend of mine who was new to riding. We were pulling up on a red light with him in front of me and misjudged the amount of brake he needed to stop safely, he grabbed too much front brake and dropped his sv650 about 3 feet behing the car in front of us. I helped him get up and pick the bike up. No major damage to the bike some scratching and a bruised ego. Could have been worse.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Site Contributor

Basically, there are two kinds of riders. Those who've been down and those who haven't been down yet.

Woodfall

'09 BMW 650i Black
'08 ALPINA B7 Black
'08 K12S Black. AKA: ''The Girlfriend''
'06 K12S Bumble Bee. KIA DGR IX
'02 K12LTC Black. AKA: ''The Wife''

Bellanca Super Viking (Sold and sorely missed)
Old 04-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Entering the on-ramp

ive been down twice, once because of a dog and another b/c the brick pavers is slippery as hell when its wet.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Site Contributor

I've been down once. I was in my early twenties and really stupid. I crashed at about 40mph when I went into a turn too hot and hit the curb. I was thrown clear of the bike and was very fortunate not to have been hurt at all. I'm older and much wiser now and I just think back on that one and just shake my head.

Tim
Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Über-geek!

I've been down once...wrong time of night, wrong part of town, no skills.

A guy sees me coming and then waits until the last minute, turns left in front of me, realizes his mistake, and STOPS!

I was doing about 35-40 at the time. All I knew how to do was stomp on the rear brake of my 1955 R50/2 which of course started the slide and I ended up over the top of his car with my bike impaled into his right front wheel well.

Fortunately I had at least a half a helmet on for my half a brain back then and only ended up with a dislocated shoulder and broken bones in my left arm from the impact.

The bastard ran away and left his car and STILL they could not prosecute the dude!

Yes, I bear a grudge....but what the heck.

I too am a bit older and hope that I'm a bit wiser now.

~Humility is the only defense against humiliation. ~ Star Wars - The Clone Wars
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,294 Posts

Twice for me... my 1st was on the K12RS coming from Big Bend to the THCR via TX 163/TX 189 and came into a sharp left turn a little too hot and wound up off the road in the dirt but managed to keep it upright up until I came to a stop on an upward incline. With the bike being so heavy it tipped over cause I couldn't get my left foot on the ground quick enough.

My 2nd was in Henderson, TX on my way to the DGR in '07 one month after I got the mighty KS. Coming into town I missed my turn and was waiting to make a left turn from the middle turn lane shared by to opposing lanes of traffic so I could turn around. As I began my turn I noticed a black flash out of the corner of my eye and hit the front brake hard. At that instant a black Cadillac flew by me on my left missing me by about 8 inches. Scared the shit out of me... since I hit the front brake so quickly in the middle of my turn, I sort of fell over in the middle of the road. Better that than dead as they say. Turns out the Caddy was being driven by a blue hair on the wrong side of the road who was late for church!
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Getting up to speed

I like the "picker upper wrench thingy". Actually, those are called "APE HANGERS". the extra long bars give added leverage so week people can pick up heavy motorcycles. Heck, if I had an extra 3 feet of leverage, I could pick up myK100RS with one hand.

I have had 2 very minor ones. The latest was riding with my wife from Avila beach and decided to go up a steep hill to a vista point. I was riding too conservatively, meaning too slow and revs too slow. We went around the corner in third and even wide open throttle it died almost instanly... we fell over to the low side. I didn't realize how steep the road was untill I noticed my mirror (which popped off without damage) slowly tumbling away from us and picking up speed. I was trying to pull my leg out from under the bike my wife was already standing, all I could think to say AFTER asking was she OK was grab it before it gets to the highway. I went back later and measured the "web" of pavement in the apex. It turns out to be about the same as a 2 in 12 pitch roof. I should have been at higher revs in first.

The other was back in '86. The first street bike I owned was a Kawi GPz 750 Turbo and took a buddies 3 year old son for a ride. At one point I had him sitting on the tank, between my arms. That went pretty well. then I let him work the throttle. Very low revs and I told him keep the (speedo) needle between "here and here", he did that fine too. vroooOOOM... BUUUuuuzzz... vroooOOOM... BUUUuuz... We went around the block quite nicely. As we turned up his rather long dirt drivway with both Barry (his dad and another friend directly in front of us, their backs against a wall) I took my right hand away and pointed to little Josh to show them that he was doing it. THEN he decides to grab FULL throttle !! My eyes get as big as saucersI panic and grab all the front brake I can (ever heard of a KILL switch dummy?!?) My frindes are doing an impression of a couple of T-72 tanks in front of a Hellfire missile. As the bike falls to the right, I grab Josh with my right arm and cusion his fall. I got a little scrape, He was crying in the monstrouly oversized helmet but unhurt. his dad is asking him is he ok and through the sobs he says yes. then he asks will he ever ride a motorcycle again, and he sort of stops sobbing for a second, thinks about it and says yeah. the returned to sobbing to get some mommy attentions. Mommy was NOT happy. The bike ended up with a pair of black squares painted on raised portions ofr the fairing to hide the scratches.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Shooting the gap

on the street 3 time's,last one broken arm others nothing
11 CBR250R BLACK
16 R1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member 22983
Old 08-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Getting up to speed

My first was the first time I started riding. Ran into my own car, not hurt but scratched up both paint jobs.
I could say five, but when I was rear-ended, the cars bumber pinched my rear tire, so the bike was standing straight when I stepped off.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Postmeister

I wlsd say something but I cant
and u can only imagine

I am back

Missed all you old cronies

Motor

You're all Fuckin nuts!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor
I wlsd say something but I cant
and u can only imagine

uhhh....are you saying what I think you're saying? You been talkin' to RT while you were away??

Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Not counting track days.. or the bike falling over while not moving... zero in 400,000+ miles

I've done a Pat Paulsen tipover in a parking lot on my 2001 Triumph Bonneville. Burned the shit out of my leg on the exhaust. No other get-offs on the road in 30yrs of road riding. I'll guarantee I would have if I'd kept trying to stay with Zombiewolf on a twisty road. Riding doesn't have to be a dick-measuring contest. The "tree of shame" at the "Tail of the Dragon" is littered with the bike parts of the riders who think that riding is a dick-measuring contest.....

Lesson learned? Keep the track day riding on the track where it belongs...
Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by famdoc
Basically, there are two kinds of riders. Those who've been down and those who haven't been down yet.

Woodfall
How original......Take you long to come up with that one?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahadafakaya
Riding doesn't have to be a dick-measuring contest. The "tree of shame" at the "Tail of the Dragon" is littered with the bike parts of the riders who think that riding is a dick-measuring contest.....
Oh thank god!!!! I was worried that I'd NEVER measure up!!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Rounded a right angle paved corner on my dual purpose bike at normal speed and the rear wheel slid out on a fresh spill of hydraulic fluid across the road... that has slowed me down a bit on corners now...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Site Contributor

Deep breath...not sure if posting the fact that I've never laid down or dropped any of my bikes in the past 13 years is such a good idea. There have definitely been some close calls - the worst was when I was on my 2003 Harley Heritage Softail. I was doing about 45 mph and was about 50ft or so behind a car. An old man in a minivan was oncoming, waiting to turn left. After the car passed, he made his turn directly in front of me (despite our eye contact).

Locked the rear tire and he simultaneously jammed his brakes (thank God). I skidded and smacked my left saddlebag on the right corner of his front bumper. In my brain, I heard "that's it...you're going down." NO IDEA what I did or how I did it...might have been the adrenaline, but I fought the bike upright and didn't go down. The smack of the leather bag against the bumper sounded worse than it was...I envisioned my whole fender crumpled, but my saddlebag was just scuffed. The punch line? The driver didn't stop.

When I finally got home, the wife took one look at me and asked, "what happened?" I told her I'd tell her the whole story after I changed my drawers.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Living in the fast lane.

The best one I had was on my Suzuki RM400(1980), man was that a screamer. I was on one wheel and it got away from me. I was sliding down the road on my ass and hoping to walk away. I was wearing a helmet but only had on blue jeans, luckily my wallet in my back pocket saved my sweet ass. After I got up and got the bike going, I came upon a cop coming my way and had to get away from luckily. Man was that fun...
The next time was on the K after I got new tires, I learned a hard fast lesson about that.
It was easier hitting the ground when I was 18.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Not in the summer time though... things tend to get fishey smelling..
Old 09-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Site Contributor

None since last week at DGR.
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12GT - KIA @ DGR '09 - 32978 smiles
'08 K12S
'17 Ktm XC-W 300 Six Days

Robert Manucy
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad57
None since last week at DGR.

Ah man...that's bad!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolf
on the street 3 time's,last one broken arm others nothing
Uhm, Joel, Sweets.... I think you might want to amend this a bit since it was posted last July - prior to the SGR adventures.....
Hope you're healing well.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Shooting the gap

I been down 2 times in 30 years of riding. One time had get off of bike or get hit by car.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Htheater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
Uhm, Joel, Sweets.... I think you might want to amend this a bit since it was posted last July - prior to the SGR adventures.....
Hope you're healing well.

Sounds like that more than Joel need to ammend their "vote" since the SGR.

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

IF you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htheater
Sounds like that more than Joel need to ammend their "vote" since the SGR.

Huh?? Haven't heard anything about crashes at the SGR? And multiple crashes??? What's up...some blood oath of "sworn to secrecy"?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

If the old law "If you don't let go of the handlbars, it doesn't count" still applies, my score is: 2 times.
noh
Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via AIM to thynes
Exclamation Re: How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street

Take it from me, when you low side, let go of the bike. If you high side, say a prayer before you land...
I have experienced both in 35 years of riding.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thynes
Take it from me, when you low side, let go of the bike. If you high side, say a prayer before you land...

Darned fine advice! I've had 45 years of riding experience.

Mike
Old 11-04-2009, 03:05 PM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,431 Posts

If you love your motorcyle, let it go... if it returns to you, you've high sided.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
If you love your motorcyle, let it go... if it returns to you, you've high sided.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick

Something like that...
If you love your motorcycle, let it go... if it comes back to you, you've probably high sided.

Yeah, I got the T-Shirt. Think Cousi gave it to me...
Prolly deserved it too!

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 11-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Site Contributor

I have done the deed some where around thirty times. Nobody I know thought I would make 21 never mind 25. Some where along the line I learned my lesson and slowed down. My best advice is to eject if you loss it on a corner and make like a Tuttle and slide on your back. done it many times with no ill effects. Car t boning, EJECT! Jump for Jesus,straight up.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Getting up to speed

Classic right turning cage in an intersection. Hit him just behind his back wheel and did the superman thing over the trunk. Right in front of a fire station. They barely had to pull the truck out of the driveway to block traffic. Bumps and bruises and mildly seperated shoulder.

I haven't been on the forum here for a while but I am pretty sure I put a full account of it at some point.
Now for sale or trade.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thynes

My comment on "the old law" was meant as a joke. We used to say so during off-road riding. I had a Suzuki DRZ 400S at the time.

Off-road Enduro riding is a bit different from street riding you know.
noh
Old 01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I wasn't speeding Officer

Send a message via AIM to Stick52

Lowsided this summer coming off Blueridge Prkwy in the rain. Two lessons learned.
1. When riding in a group of 3 or more... leave more space between you and the guy in front of you, even when going real slow. Riding slowly through a wet slippery turn, the two riders in front of me saw a patch gravel and just had time to avoid it. By the time I saw it I was in it. Front slid out and caught the edge of the pavement and I went down. Good news is...my frame sliders and final drive sliders saved my bike. I rode it away.
2. Never keep anything hard in your pants or jacket pockets. A little chap stick in my jacket caused two broken ribs when I landed on my side as I hit the pavement
'98 Honda VFR Interceptor 800fi
Ducati Multistrada 1200S -sold
SV650s -sold
K1300 SLava Orange- sold
Gixxer 600 track bike - sold
K12 GT -sold
Ducati 999 - sold
R6 track bike- sold
K12R Sport - sold wish I hadn't
Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Fell down once when I was 22 racing AMA/LRRS in middle weight production class. Broke left ankle, right knee, 3 ribs, collar bone and right wing was cracked.

25 years of street riding and I never fell down on the street until last year, horsing around at speed. Over cooked a downhill, decreasing radius left hander. Kept looking through the turn but left footpeg touched down as well as my knee and toe slider. I knew I was in way too hot. Heard plastic body parts touch down then either the case cover or side stand. That's when it just lost traction and I hit the ground. The bike hit the guard rail and I hit the bike.

Some lost skin on my left knee (I was only wearing jeans - dummy) and a jacket button tore into my right arm. Had some serious contusions but no broken bones. Totaled my GSX-R1000

What was wrong? I can't blame oil, squirrels, sun spots or any other typical excuse. it was all me and my choices.

1st: cold tires. I was out for about 10 minutes when this happened and had not been cornering hard up until that point. Never should have pushed it so hard so fast.

2nd: No Leathers - Jeans only. Never should have gone that quick in jeans.

3rd: Why was I going so fast on a mountain road where I could fall to my death?

4th: Why so fast w/only a guard rail to stop me/kill me?

5th: Stupid go fast decision when I should have been enjoying just a spirited ride w/friends.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

This is a tough one to answer... I usually go down two or three times on every new bike during the first week, as I accustum myself to the differences in handling at "slower than walking" speed. When you figure that I've changed bikes every 3 or 4 years since 1980, except for one bike I put 265,000 miles on in ten years, that makes the 7+ number a gross understatement.

On the other hand, the only CRASH I was ever in, was in 1976, when I was carried out of the woods after wrapping my bike around a tree about ten feet in the air. After that, I never got another dirt bike, choosing to stay on the pavement, where it's safe :-)

regards,
Joe
Old 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Getting up to speed

Well, I had another one Back on January 27th, my other two are 30 posts back (up?). I was on a 317 mile fun ride on hwy 1, Nacimient-furguson road, hwy 198 and hwy 41. See Pismo to coalinga and back in ride reports.

While passing through a construction area where they were cleaning up a mud slide, I think. I was following a pickup on a left, almost straight turn and looked down to notice the road was damp (this was one day after a storm, there were alot of damp patches) but brown, not gray. HHMMmm... this might be... SPLAT! slick. first thought, $#!T! second thought, ya know, for as slow as I was going, I sure am sliding a long way. Didn't think to throw the bike away. Would have been a good idea.

Didn't even get a hole in my Levi's.

Yes I need riding pants.

I had all the other gear though.

Got up, check self for injuries, I was OK Pick up the bike, saw that it was leaking gas from my left side aux fuel cell. I quickly poured that into the tank. Re-atteched the left mirror, finding that the lowest phillips screw was ground down to a rivet (no cross slot left) and that the lowest attachment point was missing. that's when I noticed it leaking oil from the valve cover (while slipping and nearly falling on my keester right as I "popped" the mirror). I figure this will slow or stop when I get the bike upright. This not to be the case and after riding it about 5 miles using the accelerate-and-coast method give it up. All that accomplished was to completely cover my left boot in oil. So I stop and find a stick to plug the hole with (about the size of three toothpicks) I rode to my friends In Coalinga (CA) and effected more permanent repairs with carb cleaner, sandpaper and JB Quick. I finally got to my house about 1/2 hour after dark.

I apologized to my baby profusely the next day with rubbing compound and touch-up paint.

I am debating should I get a used valve cover or just paint the JB to match the engine. ('92 K100RS)

Currently, she sits in the garage as I sit in Kosovo.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Send a message via AIM to MotomanK12

none, so far...(knockonwood)...but, missed a few cages turning left in front of me by inches! ALWAYS watch the other guy, never take anything for granted!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Shooting the gap

2 accidents -- both minor, thankfully.

First one was a front wheel wipe out and high side fall while making a right turn at an intersection. Loose gravel on the road and I stupidly touched the front brake to scrub off a little speed (I was doing <10 mph). Went down but caught most of it with my leg. Was wearing protective gear and no damage to me and little to the bike.

Second one was a low side crash while almost stopped. Tried to run around the end of a speed bump and the ground was unexpectedly soft. The front wheel wiped out. Again, I caught most of it with my leg and safety gear saved road rash or worse.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Shooting the gap

My first of two was in 1969, I rode a Honda 150, I rode this dirt road to work that morning and no problem but that afternoon on my way home I found they had sanded and graded the far side of a hill. I hit the 2 inch deep loose sand at about 55 mph and got into a tank slapper. I didn’t get off but layer on the tank and rode it end over end 3 times. Besides making the Honda 150 look very funny I had split my jeans from the bottom of the sipper down the crotch and up to my belt loops, and both knees from seam to seam across the front. I had converted my one piece 3/4 helmet into a 3 piece helmet. After about 30 minutes and nobody came down the road I picked it up and got it started and rode it home, I had to go back latter with a car and pick up the extras that came off the bike

My second one was in 1980 on a Suzuki 550 GT. I was going to a happy hour in a club in the basement of a restaurant. it was misting when I turned down the brick alley to the parking lot well the exhaust fans from the restaurant blew out the rear wall of the restaurant onto the alley and the alley was concave for water to run off, I never had a chance when I hit those wet bricks where grease was blown on to them so down the alley I went on my stomach watching the sparks fly off my gt
'12' R1200GS
IBA #64066
Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Two episodes, both of which could have been serious--fortunately neither one was.

1. Sand in the road as I took a turn going around 25-30 mph. Avoidable, but it's the momentary lapses that get you. I was 50 yards from home after a 3 hour+ ride.

2. This one was what I think of as the "classic" motorcycle take out: two lanes each way, double yellow in the middle. I am traveling in the right lane, a car is waiting to turn left from the left lane (on my side of the road). Car coming the other way decides to turn left, never sees me.

I think I read somewhere that this situation is one of the most common for motorcycle accidents. In my mind there are three options:

1. Swerve. Not an option in my case because there was a stopped car on my left and a sidewalk with people on it to my right.

2. Emergency braking. If you have enough room this can be the way to go. If you miscalculate/run out of room you are going to "T-bone" the turning car, in which case I think you want to "eject" out of the bike and try to travel over the car.

3. Dump the bike. This is what I did: cranked the bars over and let go. At the speed I was traveling <40 mph and distances involved, it was the right choice. Bike slid on it's sliders about 50 yards, straight down the middle of the lane. I fell on my hip, popped right up again and chased the driver down the street and made her stop. Lots of witnesses!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarshman
3. Dump the bike. This is what I did: cranked the bars over and let go. At the speed I was traveling <40 mph and distances involved, it was the right choice. Bike slid on it's sliders about 50 yards, straight down the middle of the lane. I fell on my hip, popped right up again and chased the driver down the street and made her stop. Lots of witnesses!

Most excellent!!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Dump Truck driver

Send a message via AIM to bhaynnes Send a message via MSN to bhaynnes Send a message via Yahoo to bhaynnes Send a message via Skype™ to bhaynnes

I been down more times than a San Francisco Whore...
Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

First time I was parked and got off with out putting the stand down. I hurt my wrist because I held onto the bars to let it down as soft I could.

Second time was in my yard while I was pulling out. Hit a old hole of a tree stump and the bike started to lean. My feet were still down so I let it go down slowly.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Getting up to speed

3 times
Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Getting up to speed

Three for me - two were in another life when I didn't know how to ride. More recently, I'd returned to riding after about 20 yrs and took a refresher course (I was bristling with theory and remembered all the warnings and cautions).. bought myself a brand new K1200S. Now for the gear : I scoured the net so much and was buying all the right stuff for all the right reasons.. Motorcycle heaven ! I went down to the BMW dealer to collect my riding suit.. rolled up on my sparkling new bike - so proud.
I leaned the bike over onto the sidestand which I hadn't put down.. next thing I'm on my back looking at the sky. This was the most embarassing moment of my life : I'd fallen off a superbike. At zero speed. At the showroom door. Aaagh!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Getting up to speed

1st time - May 1999. Got left-turned by a 78-year old woman who "didn't see" me. 3 operations, a year learning how to walk again, but I had a new bike before I was off crutches. Not a lot to learn from this collision as I wasn't at fault and had the right of way AND GOT CAUGHT BY SURPRISE, but I now have some very specific opinions about senior citizens and driving.

2nd time - July 2001. Target fixation did me in. Following my buddy too closely, he got edged wide in a off-camber left-hand curve by an RV that was across the double yellow. He went into the ditch and I followed him right in. No major injuries this time around, just tweaked my back plus some serious bruises & aches. I now keep a greater distance between the bike in front of me, don't trust my leader blindly, and try to avoid more than a passing glance at the brake light on the bike in front of me.

I've dropped bikes a few times, but mostly from stupid stuff like not putting the kickstand down or grabbing the front brake too hard while moving the bike.

--chiba
Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgle
Three for me - two were in another life when I didn't know how to ride. More recently, I'd returned to riding after about 20 yrs and took a refresher course (I was bristling with theory and remembered all the warnings and cautions).. bought myself a brand new K1200S. Now for the gear : I scoured the net so much and was buying all the right stuff for all the right reasons.. Motorcycle heaven ! I went down to the BMW dealer to collect my riding suit.. rolled up on my sparkling new bike - so proud.
I leaned the bike over onto the sidestand which I hadn't put down.. next thing I'm on my back looking at the sky. This was the most embarassing moment of my life : I'd fallen off a superbike. At zero speed. At the showroom door. Aaagh!

OMG.. this is soooo classic!!
I did the grab front brake while wheel is turned in parking lot manuever and went down on my old 650GS
right in front of a big group of gal friends and at the huge windows of a bike dealer.
Never again! Went on to make newer mistakes....
Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Htheater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
OMG.. this is soooo classic!!
I did the grab front brake while wheel is turned in parking lot manuever and went down on my old 650GS
right in front of a big group of gal friends and at the huge windows of a bike dealer.
Never again! Went on to make newer mistakes....

.....and, learned about "Princess Parking"!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

IF you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Site Contributor

Well, I haven’t been on the forum for quite a while as I traded my not-so-trusty KGT about ten months ago. I’ve got an adventure for you. You know what an is adventure, don’t you? That’s what happens when your plans go wrong.

I had ridden from NC to San Antonio, ostensibly for business, but I had monkey business on my mind. I left the Alamo City and quickly found some of my favorite roads up in the hill country.

After doing “The Sisters” (I love the way that sounds), I made my way past Sanderson and spent the night at one of my favorite spots. Clem Salvadori told me about the Marathon Motel a few years ago and I’ve been returning every chance I get but I digress.

The next day, I headed on down to the Big Bend for a nice day in the park. After checking in with the ranger, I began my tour and quickly found an interesting looking Terlingua Ranch Road. Calling on my former AMA enduro A rider status, I thought what the heck and made a right turn. I and the GSA were cruising down the hard-packed dirt road with visions of Malcolm Smith doing the Baja 1000. Life was pretty good. About half way down the 28 mile road, I crested a small rise only to see a large wash dead ahead and I made it about two-thirds of the way across that sucker when the fugly Beemer started shaking like a dog passing a peach pit. Naturally, it spit me right off for the abuse, pinned my left foot and I felt the bone go crunch. So, there I was: my 63 year old butt was in the middle of the Sonora Desert with a 650+ lbs. bike on its side, a possible broken toe and by myself. I unloaded the bike, picked her up and reloaded it just as a couple of young guys on Huskys happened by. They told me I was through the worst of the sand so I decided to soldier on rather than turn back.

When I got to the hard surface road, I headed north to Alpine to buy a 14 mm wrench (to fix my mirror), Motrin and the biggest bottle of vodka I could find. I accomplished my goal and also stopped at a small clinic where the PA took a picture of my foot and confirmed the cracked bone. When I got to the Hotel Limpia, I took a shower, iced my foot and the Stoli plus downed four Motrin. I learned a big lesson here: After crashing, self-medication, a nice hotel and a big steak dinner is worth the 1872 mile ride from NC to Fort Davis!

Mike
Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Getting up to speed

Mike, I met you on one occasion at the BMW dealership in Greensboro. We were comparing notes on our '07 KGT's. I had 7K on my bike and I was shocked to find out that you had 47K on yours. I really enjoy reading about your adventures. Am curious, why did you sell your K bike?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujb9172
Mike, I met you on one occasion at the BMW dealership in Greensboro. We were comparing notes on our '07 KGT's. I had 7K on my bike and I was shocked to find out that you had 47K on yours. I really enjoy reading about your adventures. Am curious, why did you sell your K bike?

Jim,

At 48,000 miles, the bike ran rough and gave up in Fairplay, CO. I finally managed a restart and made it to Foothills BMW. They got right on it but couldn't find why it would just shut down only to restart 30 minutes later. That killed my two-week vacation and I shipped her home. Turned out to be the crankshaft sensor and, even though out of warranty, the good folks at Carolina Euro fixed it for free.

They had just done the 54,000 mile service so I rode it up to Sylvatus, VA to do a little photography along the New River. Upon a restart, there was a grim rattling sound and I shut it off immediately. Carolina Euro tore into it and couldn't find the source of the noise for quite a while. Since I had another vacation ride coming up, Jason, the dealership owner, said, "Take my GSA and have fun." I did just that, keeping it for 12 days and riding almost 3000 miles. I got hooked on the fugly beast and traded upon my return.

I loved the GT but, dang, I just lost confidence in it.

Mike
Old 08-13-2010, 10:06 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,035 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Damn, Mike... I'm glad you got through your experience relatively unscathed... I didn't realize how heavy the Adventure is until I helped a guy pick his up last week... I wouldn't want to be in BF Egypt all alone and have to pick one up...
Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Site Contributor

Yeah, Charlie, I was limping when I met you in Olancha, CA. I darn sure came out better than Neil Spring on that Death Valley adventure!

Mike
Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,833 Times in 2,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
Yeah, Charlie, I was limping when I met you in Olancha, CA. I darn sure came out better than Neil Spring on that Death Valley adventure!

Mike
So, Mike, its been 5 months now, and I'm still waiting for the rest of that ride report - and damn, I knew you had dropped that GS on your foot while acting like you were 20 again, but I hadn't realized you'd fractured a bone, had I known that I could've tortured you a bit, or at least contributed another bottle of vodka, or both,
Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
"Take my GSA and have fun." I did just that, keeping it for 12 days and riding almost 3000 miles. I got hooked on the fugly beast and traded upon my return.

I loved the GT but, dang, I just lost confidence in it.

Mike

Nothin' worse than not having confidence in your bike bud...

A real downer on any trip...

Welcome to the i-BMW-Adv forum!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135