I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: How well do you fit your bike?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
How well do you fit your bike?

Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Twisted Wrister

Smile How well do you fit your bike?

This issue has plagued me for some time, it is especially troublesome because of the seat height of BMW's. Some people say they can ride a certain bike and they have an inseam of X inches, others say with the low seat I can ride it just fine, while others modify seats to where there is no padding left and say they can ride it just fine.
The real question is what's on the ground, heels, balls of feet, toes, tippy toes, whatever? So I would like to know how most riders fit on there own bikes when stopped?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Re: How well do you fit your bike?

I can ride my GT with the seat in either the high or low sitting. I prefer the high for my old knees. But, I feel more sure footed when pushing the bike backward and have a longer stride with the seat in the low position. Because of this I have gone back to the low position on the seat. But both feet on the ground with either one.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
WACKY RACER

The question might be: how well do you need to fit your bike?

newer riders seem to be VERY concerned about being able to flat foot the bike with both feet, but this is really not a problem as you gain experience and learn to keep the bike upright and vertical with ALL the weight on the weels. This can be a real challenge with a passenger or gear stacked high on the rear raising the center of gravity. [ever seen Skert with her bike packed?]

I deliberately set my R1100RT seat on the highest of 3 settings [and added 1/2" spacers under the front seat mount] and can just touch the ground with the balls of two feet [or one flat and one toe]. I also use this setting when the bike is packed and with my wife on back. I do this because i have over 400K miles experience on BMW bikes and want maximum comfort while the bike is moving, [your feet don't need to touch the ground while riding] which is over 95% of the time spent on the bike.

I have learned not to lean the bike too far and have no trouble supporting and balancing the bike. Always stop the bike in a straight line with the bike vertical and the handlebars square and straight, and the bike will be balanced. Even when stopping in a turn, you should gradually straighten the bars and the bike as you come to a stop, stopping in a straight line.

If you attempt to stop the bike with the bars turned and the bike leaning, it is VERY difficult to hold the weight of the bike. DAMHAK.

By the way, the chance of you dropping your bike varies inversly with the number of people who might see you drop it. [like stopping in a McDonnald parking lot with 2 school busses full of kids watching - it is almost impossible NOT to drop the bike.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Bottoms Up!

Red face Re: How well do you fit your bike?

Both heels down.. 32" inseam, seat in low position. A bit of stretch in the high position but doable, tougher to move the bike backward though.
'03 Kaw KLR650 For the next adventure

"Company kept, is revealing"... So why am I hangin' with you monkeys?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:27 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,505 Times in 683 Posts

K1 & K12RS both feet flat.
GS1200ADV = one ball of foot= one toe.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

Old 06-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Oops, I forgot. What was the question?

Old 06-20-2006, 11:22 PM
WACKY RACER

uh, Tim, I think that you would have both feet on the ground on most ANY motorcycle.

After all, your legs are longer than most of us shorter riders.

[shorter riders = every one not as tall as Tim]

I don't know any other riders who can put the bike on the center stand while still sitting on the bike.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman

Three seats later I found the one I like. 32" inseam the stock seat was ok but hurt my boney ass after an hour. The sargent seat was a bit hi and still hurt my ass after an hour. Tried Corbin but it pitched me in to the tank when braking. Had some foam removed and I sit a little lower. Seams to work well now. I think my2002 K1200RS is designed for rider six foot and taller.

Furman
Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Dive Buddy in Training

Send a message via Yahoo to sbk12rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Oops, I forgot. What was the question?

What , no 1200GS pic .... HAH !

Next ?
Sherwood SR2
Sherwood Avid CQR3
2014 R1200 GS .... Gone
2010 R1200 GS .... Gone
2006 Honda VFR .... Gone
2001 K1200 RS .... I miss her so

Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Bert is right about comming to a stop in a straight line. In addition it is always better to come to a halt useing the back brake as this is much more stable if you are in a turn (try it) and will not tip you off. When finally comming to a halt keep the right foot covering the back and just put the left foot down. If you use this method I can guarantee a stable fuss free halt.

Grabbing the front brake at low speed with some turn on is a certain way to disaster. The rear brake will not exert the pitching forces which pushes the bike sideways.

Try this riding excercise. Sit on the bike with the back (foot) brake on left foot on ground. Keep the left foot dangleing and set off. Apply the rear brake and come to a halt with the left foot down. Do this until it becomes automatic. If you always roll to a halt this way you will reduce your chances of dropping the bike to virtually nil.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Site Contributor

With a 27" inseam, I can just touch the ground with my toes on my RS. The only problem I run into is not being able to back up if the ground isn't level. When I park, I have look for spots that I can either drive forward from or backup downhill from.

'03 K1200RS
Old 10-08-2006, 04:31 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Trouble backing up
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 AM
WACKY RACER

Mark.

I think that most riders eventually find, with experience, that it is much easier to park with the front wheel UPhill to let gravity roll the bike backwards.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 10-13-2006, 02:30 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

The comments in this thread strike me as kind of funny. You guys don't know what short is!! It IS being 5'2" with a 25" inseam and riding the bikes.

Over the weekend in Las Vegas at Femmoto it was with great care I mounted various demo bikes to head out to the track. The launch area was squeezed in a tight alleyway between the bike manufacturers tents and all their bikes.

Let's just say that if one went down, it was quite possible to take others or at least other bikes with you, so mounting up and taking off, as well as stopping and dismounting was done very gingerly.

Launchers and catchers (people assigned to help the shorter gals) were advertised but were rarely a reality. I had to ask one Kawasaki rep to hold my bike (squeezed in between others) before I took off. Couldn't get the kickstand up very easily. Had to shout at him to let me go because he was holding the bike a bit off center and it made me crazy. Wobbled just a moment as I was taking off and I gave the Aprillia and Moto Guzzi bike reps a thrill as they thought I might head over to "visit" their bikes. It was actually a bit comical.

I find that in general, I can come to a stop on a tall bike just fine, but taking off is a bit difficult. Bike leaned toward kickstand. Have to mount, then lower right leg to flip bike to the right to get kickstand up, then take off.

I gave up the chance to ride a Moto Guzzi Grisso over the weekend because it was just too tall and the seat was absurdly fat - like a cruiser - yuck!. Took the Breva out instead. The Aprilia Tuono is also very tall... as are the Kawasaki ZZR, and 636. The only bike that was short enough was a piece of crap made by Harley - the Buell Blast 500. The thing should have been billed as a sex toy for women with the amount of vibration. I was about to ask for a curtained off area to take advantage of this "quirk". Damn bike was falling apart under me. Clutch lever had about an inch of up/down play and the freakin thing slipped into neutral each time I changed gears. Imagine coming out of a corner on a track and having NO power. Only 900 miles on this piece of trash too!

Sorry.... rant over.....

Count your blessings guys - you have some height to ride these bikes... some of us need a ladder!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Postmeister

i am 6'3" with 36" inseam so i don't have a problem on any bike, but i still can empathize with the less tall. why haven't the bike manufacturers addressed the seat height issue more realistically? it seems that they are losing out on a lot of potential sales by not having a line of bikes tailored to the shorter crowd.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmith1953
i am 6'3" with 36" inseam so i don't have a problem on any bike, but i still can empathize with the less tall. why haven't the bike manufacturers addressed the seat height issue more realistically? it seems that they are losing out on a lot of potential sales by not having a line of bikes tailored to the shorter crowd.

There is a line of bikes for short people - CRUISERS!!
Old 11-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,330 Posts

I'm 6'2" with both heels on the ground and fit the K12RS pertty good. I did change the stock seat to a Sargent which made a BIG difference in comfort mostly. I'm still playing around with the position of the bar backs and don't think I have that dialed in quite yet, but overall I am pleased with the fit.
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 11-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Site Contributor

6' and both feet flat on the ground. I am too big for my HD Softail. Lots of ergo issues with that bike. I let a freind sit on my GT who is 5' 9", too small. He is built for Harleys.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DVAPREZ' for this post:
Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertbrumfield
...........................By the way, the chance of you dropping your bike varies inversly with the number of people who might see you drop it. [like stopping in a McDonnald parking lot with 2 school busses full of kids watching - it is almost impossible NOT to drop the bike.

several years ago, when the commercial with the BMW GS1100/1150 splashing into a creek, was playing fairly often on TV, a bus load (highschool soccer) kids were at this McD's. Several young fellows approached us as we were eating , asking typical bike questions, BMWs, Harleys, Ninja's, Gixxers. My buddy decided to have some fun and jokingly told these kids I was a pro-stunt rider for BMW and asked had they seen the latest commercial riding the GS thru the creek.

they were boarding the bus as we were getting ready to roll out, had ALL these kids watching intently as I rode over beside their bus, clamped the front brake and did a rolling burnout past the bus. WOOT!!

didn't fall down.....just waved and rode off into the sunset......

Triple M Engineering
K12RS KLX650 XR400 KDX200
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Old, Bald, Crabby, & Fast

Talking Re: How well do you fit your bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
The comments in this thread strike me as kind of funny. You guys don't know what short is!! It IS being 5'2" with a 25" inseam and riding the bikes.

Over the weekend in Las Vegas at Femmoto it was with great care I mounted various demo bikes to head out to the track. The launch area was squeezed in a tight alleyway between the bike manufacturers tents and all their bikes.

Let's just say that if one went down, it was quite possible to take others or at least other bikes with you, so mounting up and taking off, as well as stopping and dismounting was done very gingerly.

Launchers and catchers (people assigned to help the shorter gals) were advertised but were rarely a reality. I had to ask one Kawasaki rep to hold my bike (squeezed in between others) before I took off. Couldn't get the kickstand up very easily. Had to shout at him to let me go because he was holding the bike a bit off center and it made me crazy. Wobbled just a moment as I was taking off and I gave the Aprillia and Moto Guzzi bike reps a thrill as they thought I might head over to "visit" their bikes. It was actually a bit comical.

I find that in general, I can come to a stop on a tall bike just fine, but taking off is a bit difficult. Bike leaned toward kickstand. Have to mount, then lower right leg to flip bike to the right to get kickstand up, then take off.

I gave up the chance to ride a Moto Guzzi Grisso over the weekend because it was just too tall and the seat was absurdly fat - like a cruiser - yuck!. Took the Breva out instead. The Aprilia Tuono is also very tall... as are the Kawasaki ZZR, and 636. The only bike that was short enough was a piece of crap made by Harley - the Buell Blast 500. The thing should have been billed as a sex toy for women with the amount of vibration. I was about to ask for a curtained off area to take advantage of this "quirk". Damn bike was falling apart under me. Clutch lever had about an inch of up/down play and the freakin thing slipped into neutral each time I changed gears. Imagine coming out of a corner on a track and having NO power. Only 900 miles on this piece of trash too!

Sorry.... rant over.....

Count your blessings guys - you have some height to ride these bikes... some of us need a ladder!

Understand...vicariously. My bride suffers with a similar dilemma-- and she will not ride a cruiser!! Currently on an R1200ST with Works Performance shocks (lowered 2") along with the lowered seat. Wants the K1200S or R; can't get one to fit. What we need is a 9/10's scale K1200S with the same horsepower. Prob'ly when pigs fly out of me bum...
Old 11-13-2006, 10:59 PM

The height problem does get easier with more miles in the saddle.
I've heard a number of people who had sportbikes lowered until they were comfortable and had confidence riding the bike, then raised it back up.

I have to use the scoot the butt over to one side when stopping on my 675 and on the S4R. No problems, except when the parking lot is poorly engineered. Couldn't park in front of a store recently because the slots were severly slanted downhill towards the store and all but one spot was taken - no U turn room. Parked away from the building on more level ground. First big rain and that engineer will get sued!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Site Contributor

I suffer from being handicapped [physically-11 ortho surgeries] and have been pinned to the camp ground trying to move my bike to get out! How embarrassing!!

I had for a while a JC Whitney highway peg weilded to my left side valve cover bolt for a place to stretch out my worst knee, but took it off as not many threads were holding it!

Still trying to do what I've done on my Duc MTS, put frame sliders on for protection and also use as a makeshift highway peg,

But alas no such luck on the GT.

They usually attach to the top motor mount bolts and on a RS-GT the left is a 10 X70 mm fillister screw and right is a 10 X 90mm.

Now I just need to fab a offset to come out the slot on both sides or heaven forbid cut a hole in the fairings

JC

MOA,AMA,RA,VSTP- 2# Crash,3# Drops@"0"mph
Twelve Orthopaedic Surgeries-Handicap
Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Getting up to speed

I fit my bike just fine, and I'm 6'4". I ride a K1100rs, 1996. Both feet on the ground isn't as important to me as 1) reach to bars 2) seat to pegs 3) seat comfort 4) buzz from motor 5) the bike having "long legs" ( haul ass across counrty ability).
This bike fills all accounts and really has been the best bike for me "first", since it is my first, having come back to motorcycling after being away for some 20 - 30 years !!!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk12rs
What , no 1200GS pic .... HAH !
Check out the attachement. R1200GS, June 2004, Stockholm, Sweden. A friend of JesperC tossed me the keys to his brand new GS and said to take it for a spin.

Nice bike. Too big for me though.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtowner
I fit my bike just fine, and I'm 6'4". I ride a K1100rs, 1996. Both feet on the ground isn't as important to me as

You know, that's really funny - only someone who can get BOTH feet flat on the ground can say it isn't important!!
(being 14 inches shorter than you - I'd know!!)

Tim - great photo!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Getting up to speed

Do elevators smell different to you , too ??? LOL Sorry, that's from a book once read to me - the World According to Short People !! Perhaps you would find some humor in it ?!

All the Best,
Not inseam challenged

p.s. Going to the BMWRA at Biltmore ??
Old 05-28-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtowner
Do elevators smell different to you , too ??? LOL Sorry, that's from a book once read to me - the World According to Short People !! Perhaps you would find some humor in it ?!

All the Best,
Not inseam challenged

p.s. Going to the BMWRA at Biltmore ??

I find humor in most everything - sometimes I can even keep quiet about it too!

Can't go to the BMWRA, but heading up to see what kinds of roads the NE has at the SSR in Stowe, Vermont.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Flat footed both feet. There wasn't a bullet in the poll.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Htheater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward
Flat footed both feet. There wasn't a bullet in the poll.

I took the "Both heels on the ground" as the flat footed choice...it would be weird having the heels down and not the toes!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

IF you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem!
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Must be scarry to be in the bottom half of the list sitting on a K on uneven ground.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward
Must be scarry to be in the bottom half of the list sitting on a K on uneven ground.

What... did you say something?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Never Sarcastic.

The K1200S is just big enough for me. I have a 36" inseam. It cracks me up to see any of my friends sit on the bike, most people look kind of small seated on it.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Ride Fast, Laugh often!!

The 28 inch inseam doesn't seem to be an issue until the backing up manuever

Paul
Always enjoy every moment!!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I like the idea of stopping with the rear brake and putting the left foot down. In fact that is what they teach here in the Basic Motorcycle Course. If you put both feet down you fail the course. I learned to ride this way, but even doing that the K1200RS is a bear for a short rider. I have a 29" inseam and can almost flatfoot the bike but it is almost impossible to back it up if the ground is not level. I was in the market for a custom seat and during that search came in contact with "Rocky" Meyer's from Meyers Custom Saddles. He gave me some of the best tips I have gotten on how to solve the problem for a short rider on a BMW. One thing I really appreciated was he was not in a hurry to get in my pocket,I wish I could say as much for BMW dealers and their "$olutions" for everything . This is what he told me. #1 go buy some cowboy boots with a low heel and leather sole, take them to a shoemaker and have 3/4" vibram sole put on top of the leather (I don't recommend boots with pointed toes and high heel) unless you are a real cowboy, me, I'm from Brooklyn and have NEVER been in a western store or worn cowboy boots so it was a real "growth" experience. I am sure everyone in the place knew I was a drugstore cowboy. Anyway I have not gotten the boots back yet but I am hopeful that this will help. #2 release the spring adjustment knob all the way( I weigh 132 so I dont need added tension. I would hope other short riders are not over 200 but this is America so I am probably in the minority. He then said to add about 50 lbs to the back of the saddle and sit on the bike and see if it was not lower. I put a 54lb. kettlebell on the back of the saddle and it brought my butt about 1/4 inch lower. May not seem like much but it is a night and day difference if I am trying to back it up. Next is to get some saddle bags and add about 25 lbs of weight to each one. He said then and only then would we talk about the seat. The real problem with the K1200RS is not so much the seat hight as the width of the bike itself and the placement of the foot pegs. The pegs are right behind my ankles and I have to spread my feet to get any traction to back up. So if the height problem is not solved prior to making the seat narrow it won't help much anyway. I love the the K1200RS and will learn to ride it safely. I dropped it in a gas station when my left foot went down in some oil and I slipped and the place was packed so it is true that the more people are watching the greater the chances of dropping the bike. Anyone know where I can pick up some used bags please let me know.
Thanks
Drj
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'drjohn1800' for this post:
Old 11-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Ride Fast, Laugh often!!

thanks, DrJ for the info I to have reset the tension and find that with the bike loaded it is easier to roll backwards. I will check out the Meyer seat website. Happy Turkey Day. Paul

Paul
Always enjoy every moment!!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Send a message via MSN to BryanHerron

[quote=drjohn1800]I like the idea of stopping with the rear brake and putting the left foot down. In fact that is what they teach here in the Basic Motorcycle Course. If you put both feet down you fail the course.....

And I was told that if you don't put both feet down it's not considered a complete stop in Oklahoma and you fail the driving test. Personally I'm still trying to master the both feet on the pegs stop.
Year round, if I survive.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 PM

I have also heard that, both feet have to touch the ground completely to be considerd a"legal" stop . go figure! currently riding 98' krs w/gt seat.no trouble flat footing it. 6'2'' 32'' inseam.but..finding a jacket w/long enough sleeves is difficult for me. I think that some manufactures figure if you wear 2xl/3xl that your arms are short w/big belly. sorry,I digress...Here's to a New Year peace...............
Old 01-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d holton
I have also heard that, both feet have to touch the ground completely to be considerd a"legal" stop . go figure! ...

So.. now I know that I have NEVER done a legal stop!
Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:

You've probably never done one even if both your feet would touch the ground...
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Blessed by Him

both feet flat on the ground.
Graphite, EVO filters, EVO clutch slave, LeoVince exhaust, AC Schnitzer screen,
Power-Sportego handlebar conversion, Braking Wave Rotors
Rizoma (rearsets, blinkers, mirrors, fluid pots, oil cooler cover)
Motolight, Corbin Seat & Smuggler
Old 06-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Shooting the gap

Send a message via AIM to gixxerw

5'6" with a 30" inseem, no bike fits me except the ones i don't want to ride! Well except the Vmax i had. I ride dirt bikes have since i was real small so being able to touch the ground has never mattered much to me i just try not to stop too much LOL.
I had a 93 Husqvarna 610 street plated that bike has a 35" seat height well the first night i took it to work i had to stop at a stop sign in front of two cops that were parked BS'ing only thing running thru my mind was don't fall over please!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

With my 6´3" I had to buy the high (heated) comfort seat for my K1200RS 2002, rising the highest seat hight from 31.5 to a comfortably 33.07 inch. before that my knees were bent to much, and made me slide forward

My rides:
BMW R60/6, 1975 black, BMW K75S, 1991 Blue (Sold), BMW K1100RS, 1993. Mistic red, BMW K1200RS/GT 2004 White.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Fitting your bike and touching the ground are not the same.

My bike fits like a glove. Although I cannot touch flat footed, this of course being on the mighty GS Adv.

When I ride the RS I can touch flat footed, but the bike doesn't fit as well!

Cheers!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Site Contributor

I got short legs. The balls of my feet touch the ground.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Shooting the gap

6'2", Long legs, seat on top position, pegs on low position, gear shifter is too low.
Dragged my left toes on the ground in a left sweeper the second week I had the bike.
Knees are tight up high in the tank pockets. Feet solid on the ground, no prob.
Bars are a bit forward, need to fix that.

Chris
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Shooting the gap

6'3', 34 in. inseam, i have no problem with the seat in the high or low position on my GT. Feet flat on the ground.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have short legs and I'm 5'7. I ride an R1200GS '08 model fitted with a low seat (not the lowest seat) and I have ASC ESA etc. At the lights I simply move my bum to the right with that foot on the ground and left foot ready at the gears, simple. I dropped it outside my motel room the night that I bought it with the help of a bottle of wine in my belly. I've dropped it a couple of other times at home but so far not in public, thankfully.I have now covered nearly 20 000km since July '08. I now have off-road nobbies and love thrashing around on the dirt and so far not dropped it. The secret is to keep riding and NOT STOP!! Eric.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgibson
The secret is to keep riding and NOT STOP!!
+1
1 have short legs 28" inseam at 5'7, with a low seat, it is the balls of the foot.
As the previous bikes have been "crotch rockets" my 66 year old knees don't mind.

Tried a 990R Duke today , tip toe as in "ballet toes", no deal on that one.

07 K1200GT CGM
00 Ducati 900 Monster
Old 06-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Entering the on-ramp

6'2", 32" inseam, perfect fit on the K13S with the standard seat, both heels down. My lady, however, is 5'2". Thankfully, she had a chance to sit on the lowered F800ST with the low seat and it felt good to her, so when she is ready that's what I'm getting her
Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

So with the new suspension adjustment available on the K13, why not this idea: as the speed reduces to below say 10 kph, the suspension automatically winds fully down, perhaps to a preset "low" (tall riders wouldn't need it). As the speed increases above a crawl, it winds back up to full height automatically.

If it was done right, the bike could be really low at a stop when you needed it, and at full height when riding. I for one really need the help.

Now, how to get this brilliant idea patented...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Lightbulb Re: How well do you fit your bike?

I've put >>300,000 miles on a dozen bikes... everything from my first honda 50 cub, a 150 Dream, 250 Scrambler, Mustang, 3 Cushman Super eagles, Moto Guzzi, a 1975 (first production year) Goldwing, R69/9, a Dyna, Softail, a big-ass bagger complete with curb feelers, and an 08 1200GT. Some I could ride and ride until I ran out of gas. I've put several LONG days (from El Paso to Baton Rouge) on one trip stopping only at a KMart to bet some foam rubber to put under my butt.

The K-bike is a joy to ride. Very precisely engineered and, OK Rice-Guys, it is NOT SLOW. I went down HWY 50 from Fallon to Ely at an average 123 mph including one stop for gas and refill my camelback.

Having said all this, the length of time you can spend on one leg on a bike is not just owing to the seat or bar-backs etc. This bike needs ONE MORE riding position and it would add another hour to the single leg of a long ride. The extra position must be in FRONT of the controls. Nothing as silly as the HD forward control; just a little thing that would be hydraulically move from the folded position as an integral portion of the fairing, and returned with a second push of the control button.

I'm having my engineer and a body guy try to make a prototype, and we're encouraged. We are currently working hard to make the removal of the fairing not much more difficult than current. The pegs, when retracted, are not noticeable except for the slim outline of the carbon fiber covers that match the radius and form of the fairing at at the installation point.

This isn't an ad. It's a "survey question"... I'm building it. Should we save the mechanicals and molds?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
To the moon Alice!

Quote:

Pat, try these on, just what the Doc prescribed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heels.jpg (4.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 PM
To the moon Alice!

Based on what I can see, I would have to answer #1, both heels on the ground! Anyone beg to differ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flat.jpg (26.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 03-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned Spammer

I think that most riders eventually find, with experience, that it is much easier to park with the front wheel UPhill to let gravity roll the bike backwards.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to MotomanK12

6', 30" inseam, I can plant both feet flat on the ground, sargent seat...tried the high seat height for leg room and it was just too high for stopping (tip-toeing) and hard to back-up...nice for leg room, though! I put on bar backs 30mm and peg lowering, 30mm...makes a world of difference, very comfy for me (50 something, few extra lbs) at this point. Also, just got the Ztechnik tall windshield...it's a little quieter and less buffeting than the BMW comfort shield (both in the high position), in low, the bars hit at full lock.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Like mkjeldgaard, I have a 27" inseam. I always stop with the bike leaning left and my right foot never leaves the footpeg. That's an old habit that came from the times I've ridden with my right leg in a cast. With the seat in the low position (32") and the rear suspension to it's lowest setting, I've found that I can comfortably plant my left foot flat on the ground when I come to a stop.

Backing up is no big deal. I do that before getting on the bike.

regards,
Joe
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Not sure but I may have found this off this forum somewhere.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Site Contributor

I think I fit my bike better the more I ride it. OEM windshield, Oberon pegs in higher position, 30mm bar-backs and a Corbin saddle round out my sled. I'm 5'8", 29" inseam, approx 24" reach, 36" waist and 85 Kg. Both feet flat on the ground at a stand-still, can tuck behind windshield when needed without having to raise it up, can ride this sled for hours and not get tired (helps to have hearing protection). This KRS is smooth, well balanced and for a 300Kg bike reasonably responsive in the twisties. Besides that, it's got timeless looks is well behaved and like a cute puppy, a real chick magnate; but unlike a puppy, it doesn't leak on the floor.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byknrrtl
I think I fit my bike better the more I ride it. OEM windshield, Oberon pegs in higher position, 30mm bar-backs and a Corbin saddle round out my sled. I'm 5'8", 29" inseam, approx 24" reach, 36" waist and 85 Kg. Both feet flat on the ground at a stand-still, can tuck behind windshield when needed without having to raise it up, can ride this sled for hours and not get tired (helps to have hearing protection). This KRS is smooth, well balanced and for a 300Kg bike reasonably responsive in the twisties. Besides that, it's got timeless looks is well behaved and like a cute puppy, a real chick magnate; but unlike a puppy, it doesn't leak on the floor.
So, have you rode a K1300S with low seat??? if you have, will it fit you? I also have a 29 inch inseam and I'm looking at the K1300S. Thanks for any info. Richard