I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: If shopping today for a bike, would you still buy what you have?
Yes 476 70.83%
No 160 23.81%
Obama will fix everything 36 5.36%
Voters: 672. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 08-02-2009, 01:14 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Re: If shopping today for a bike, would you still buy what you have?

It was "almost" there for me on the K12GT, but it was an early '07 with all the fueling issues, constant software upgrades, etc. Wound up running great, but traded it on the "red" GT - "aaah fulfillment"!

Being a very big guy - for a rider - 6'4", 215 lbs - the GT fits as a supersized (note not saying "superbike") quasi sportbike most of the time on the roads we like so well around here. (sure wish Obama would quit fixing them already! <g>).

Without going into a huge disertation on the subject of using the bike this way -one example that hasn't been mentioned yet: with the new esa II automatically adusting (i.e. stiffening the pre-load), hanging off abit in the corners is very satisfying as the bike noticeably sets itself in the meat of the turn.

Really don't think most folks use the GT this way, but for me - well - it's just plain fun to ride it as a sportbike.

Improvements? Yeah one: offer the quick-shifter option on the GT

Miles
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htheater
+1

My '07 KS has been awesome for me and I would buy it again in a heartbeat too!

I am glad to see others speak out as it gets depressing around here with the handful of constantly negative posters. To an outsider, they would think that the BMW K-series bikes are all a POS and, nothing could be further from the truth.....

OVERALL, the K-Series BMWs ROCK! There isn't another bike that I can think of that does what they do as well as they do, mile after mile AND smile after smile. THAT is what has created this community and made it so great....bikes that were truly as bad as some posters would have you think would never have been able to create what we have here.

So, yes, there have been some quirks, some problems and even some lemons, but, OVERALL, they are great bikes and bikes that I have a lot of passion for. I grow weary of the negative posts by some on here, especially when I can think back not that long ago and the same people were ecstatic over their bikes. Even now, when they get off of them they still look back and smile.

For me, there isn't another choice. Why? Because the "exotics" have ergos that don't fit with me and my riding style. They also have chains.

That leaves the Jap bikes. I have owned models from all of them and have ridden some in recent years. We all know that they make great bikes, but how many of them give you that feeling that owning and riding a K-bike does? Not many, if any....yes, to some people they do, but to those that have owned a K-bike, it is hard to go back. There is no substitute for that feeling and it is worth a few problems.

Also, go to the other bike forums. The ones that allow negative comments are filled with them.....the ones that don't have any are probably censored since you can't please everyone all the time....ALL bikes have some of their production that has issues and many have issues far more serious than ours.

At i-bmw, we don't censor the negative comments because we are realists and learn from them. We are about much more than the bike, but the bike is what brought us all together and has led to many friendships that will go far beyond us owning a certain brand or model. Keep that in mind when evaluating the real "owner experience".

So, HELL YES I would buy another and, I am damn glad that I bought my first one and got to know all of you....even those that are ALWAYS negative!

rant off!

I was sitting on the fence before I read this post. I wanted it for the reasons mentioned in this thread:

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/bar/1...-want-one.html

but was sitting on the fence because of potential issues and cost (because of the potential problems). If I am going to be making as massive an investment as the K13S would be for me personally, I want as close to engineering perfection and as awesome a machine as man can make.

Now I am 95% sure that next summer after graduating, I will be getting the new K1300S. The remaining 5% is a matter of money now. I should be alright, as I already have a car and everything else I need.

Thank you.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier84
Now I am 95% sure that next summer after graduating, I will be getting the new K1300S. The remaining 5% is a matter of money now. I should be alright, as I already have a car and everything else I need.

Thank you.

Probably a good plan. Since this bike was an evolution of the K12, I expect (and hope) that the bugs should be worked out faster than when the K/S was introduced in 05. The second model year of this bike should have smooth sailin'.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Entering the on-ramp

hadnt even considered i would be getting the 2.0 version of the bike. i do hope any kinks they had in the 2009 get ironed out.

and what is this "stalling thing" mentioned earlier in this thread? and ive heard about final drives failing and flaming and some problem with keys or something that cause some bikes to get stranded.

how common are these things? are there any other quirks in the K13S series?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
and what is this "stalling thing" mentioned earlier in this thread? and ive heard about final drives failing and flaming and some problem with keys or something that cause some bikes to get stranded.

how common are these things? are there any other quirks in the K13S series?

There has been a problem with the switches but after they fail (no recall) BMW fixes them with a good one. The major complaint now is the stalling (apparently fueling) issue but once again, there is a "fix" reported to be in the pipeline. There are several open threads on this issue so just take a look and you'll get up to speed.

No issues with FD's yet but the bike hasn't been out long enough for mileage to cause that problem. Don't think that one is a biggy anyway. Yeh...it's happened, like transmission failures, etc...but nothing that I would call chronic or a reason to avoid the bike. EWS thing was fixed a year ago...fixed after failure. No problem on the 13.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

i see, i will read up on the stalling threads.

how common is that problem though?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Entering the on-ramp

nm, there is a whole poll about it
Old 08-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
nm, there is a whole poll about it

Atta boy! Keep looking...there's lots more!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Sultan of Speed

05 K1200S, more trouble than a GF!!

I would not buy this bike or a new K1300S.

K1200S started stalling AGAIN this past Saturday. Not at a good time either, as I nearly hit a 5 to 7 YO on a bicycle. He was learning to turn around and went wide. Let off the gas and started to apply the front brake and shit...nothing. Bike started right back up, but what a little scary moment or 2. Of course when I restarted the bike, Clutch pulled in, and the sound of the K1200S on restart with 4 to 5 grand..well startled everyone but me. This happened in my neighborhood. So I stopped and spoke with the parents. They appologized, I appologized, so no harm no foul, but what could have been..... The father asked me," did your motorcycle cut off" ? This kind of shit is t-totally unjustifiable. No wonder I have less than 100 miles logged on it this year.

What kind of bike would I buy:
Any Jap bike (Yam R1, Suz 750, Suz 1000, Busa), Ducati, or MV.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

If buying a new bike I'd get either a K1300GT or a FJR1300
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek1200s
What kind of bike would I buy:
Any Jap bike (Yam R1, Suz 750, Suz 1000, Busa), Ducati, or MV.

Good move on stopping to talk to the parents. Helps our "image".

What bike? You mean to replace a K/S with the same duties?

I think only the Busa would do the job among this list. All the others are sportbikes with a different mission. For K/S duties you could add the ZX14 and the Triumph Sprint ST to the list. To me the Concourse and now apparently the new 2010 1200FVR are real heavy weights and in the same "tourer" class as the GT...and I know you wouldn't like that.

Slim pickin's for the way we like to ride...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I currently drive a K1200RS from 2002. I am satisfied with the bike while driving, however, I think it is very heavy at low speed, turning parking ect. I might look at the F800ST if I deside to sell the K1200RS.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
.... we have to pay top dollar for these bikes and then pay extra to get them to run correctly!!
Ask your dealer to ask BMW to pay for the PCIII. Stranger things have happened.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,020 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Ask your dealer to ask BMW to pay for the PCIII. Stranger things have happened.
I'd be happy if they just installed it for me, but I don't think that's going to happen. Now that you mention it though, I think I will ask them...
Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oesterga
I currently drive a K1200RS from 2002. I am satisfied with the bike while driving, however, I think it is very heavy at low speed, turning parking ect. I might look at the F800ST if I deside to sell the K1200RS.
I can relate to your K12RS comments & the F800ST was the 1st bike that I looked at when I got the bike bug in late 07. Tough to find "perfection" but the 07ish K1200R Sport is one that slots between the weight & ergos of a K12RS & F800ST. And it has lots more juice than either...

Pic for anyone not familiar with the somewhat obscure K1200R Sport
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photog...R_Sport_12.jpg

My top pick is a K13GT, but a used touring equipped K1200R Sport is also high on the "lotto list".
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
I'd be happy if they just installed it for me, but I don't think that's going to happen. Now that you mention it though, I think I will ask them...

Are you having issues after the valve job? I don't recall you complaining about it before??

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Are you having issues after the valve job? I don't recall you complaining about it before??
I'm just having stalling problems. It began late last summer at SGR, then stopped and I didn't have any more problems until this summer... so, I'm guessing that the summer fuel formulas and/or heat are a factor... ... of course that's in addition to BMW's inability to map the fuel delivery correctly...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via AIM to Michael1515

Quote:

It certainly doesn't seem out of the question in my mind at all. I'm pissed that I might have to drop some coin for a PCV but I'm more concerned about finding a qualified tech to install and dyno the bike.....NO WAY I'm capable of a chore like this! If I tried my family would have to move away for at least a week!!

Ducati Streetfighter
Canon 1dMkIIn
Merrick 7'2" M13 Surfboard
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Getting up to speed

I voted No
I love this bike, but the stalling issue was the last straw after all the other issues were straightened out. My dealer has been great but I have to agree with Kneedragger, the stalling is extremely dangerous, and unacceptable.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ccroach' for this post:
Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I upgraded from my '85K100 to a '98KRS this summer, but given what I know now, I prolly wouldn't do it again. I'm having much the same problems as Trond described in his thread b/4 he pulled the trigger on a new GT. After installing bar backs, a lower Sargeant seat, and lowering the footpegs, I just can't get away from the numbness in my wrists and arms and pain in my shoulder and neck (numbness in the brain is chronic and is a whole other issue apart from the bike). The KRS is a great bike and I love the performance, but the lack of comfort is taking the fun out of it for me. I'm have to stop frequently and I'm sore the next day, which is why I gave up riding Harleys.
'05 DL1000 VStrom
'82 Vette
'56 Gretsch Electromatic
'56 Chev Truck
'71 Jeep Commando
"Life is like driving in the mud. If you don't slow down, you might plow right through it, however, you could run out of gas."
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1515
It certainly doesn't seem out of the question in my mind at all. I'm pissed that I might have to drop some coin for a PCV but I'm more concerned about finding a qualified tech to install and dyno the bike.....NO WAY I'm capable of a chore like this! If I tried my family would have to move away for at least a week!!

Take it down to Kneedraggers and you two can learn together...

Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm Roll'n They Hate'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Take it down to Kneedraggers and you two can learn together...
I really want to have some video of that.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
I really want to have some video of that.
Real funny guys... You can take some video of me riding at SGR, but it would be a pretty short video...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm Roll'n They Hate'n

Quote:
Real funny guys... You can take some video of me riding at SGR, but it would be a pretty short video...
You planning on crashing out early?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MacMan' for this post:
Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'm just having stalling problems. It began late last summer at SGR, then stopped and I didn't have any more problems until this summer... so, I'm guessing that the summer fuel formulas and/or heat are a factor... ... of course that's in addition to BMW's inability to map the fuel delivery correctly...

I'm wondering out loud if it has to do with the charcoal cannister becoming fuel soaked in the summer months and at idle, when or if the valve to the cannister opens, the mixture is just a little too "polluted."

A simply fix of this would be to plug the line, temporarily.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Twisted Wrister

I've enjoyed this bike, but not $18,000 worth considering the rough final product. Was in the AMS Ducati shop in Dallas a few weeks ago. And I'll tell you what, If you have one ounce of biker in you, those bikes will light you up, especially if you start one. Absolutely no other sound like it.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue
Was in the AMS Ducati shop in Dallas a few weeks ago. And I'll tell you what, If you have one ounce of biker in you, those bikes will light you up, especially if you start one. Absolutely no other sound like it.

Yep...several of us here have been sticken with that disease!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,354 Times in 846 Posts

I have an 02 RS. I plan to keep it until I die.

But once they get the K13GT sorted out, it will be added to the stable.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:12 PM

I'd buy another K12R any day. I am fully satisfied with it for all my needs and then some not to mention I absolutely admire the "R" looks. I'd buy a K13R if it were available stateside. I would pro-ly look at other manufacturers' models if they were available: I do not see any competition to the "R"! Most likely I'd get an "S" also based on my experience with the "R". "S" has tougher life than the "R" competition-wise, but Hayabusas-shmayabusas and other giant Ninjas don't really appeal to me. They're nice bikes and all that, but... they do not really excite me.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Shooting the gap

No -- I would either have kept my R1100RT and added some upgrades or else a used R1150RT. I have been underwhelmed by the stalling problems, switch problems and backrest/fit problems on my K1300GT. Expected much more for a $23000 bike.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Idling - what?

Shame BMW about the 2006 K1200R fueling !!!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Shooting the gap

I voted yes. My '99 K12RS has been pretty bulletproof, other than one common issue, (timing cover oil leak). Maintenance is expensive, but my dealer (Morton's BMW) has been great. The timing cover oil leak was repaired for the original owner in Aug 2007 at 10K miles. I bought the bike in Oct 2007. The leak reappeared at 20K miles, and they split the repair cost with me 50/50. That kind of service will keep me on my silver/blue Zebra, which is the fastest color K12RS for quite some time. I had the bike up for sale this summer, but I had no takers. Guess I'll have to keep it......Oh, DARN!!...(nudge, nudge, wink, wink) .....
Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Entering the on-ramp

bought my 01 krs with 64k from local dealer a@S.for 5k. was advised of valve cover leak and possible main seal problems. did the valve cover gasket replacement myself and luckily that did the trick. i do all my own maint. but have had excellent support from the dealer as to advice.... bike came with ohlins, gps, sargent seat(replaced with a trade off corbin. thanks again to the dealer),piaas, throttlemeister and led brake flasher stuff. cool! this bike has been nails. came from a 99 lt which i really liked but have had no regrets of the change at all. bought this bike in april and have replaced the tires and done all the other stuff we do to our bikes to make them our own. all vehicles have inherent costs of maint. some more. some less. when i roll out of my garage i'm confident i'll return ON my bike. i've had hondas, harleys, yamahogs and the like but i have to say i get more smiles to the miles from my blue&silver zebra than anything i've owned. just my opinion. i'd do it again in a heart beat. now at 71k without a burp. oh, i hit the rev limiter occasionally.(that's a burp right?) ride safe all!
mike
Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Getting up to speed

No! My 2009 K1300S has been towed twice during the 1st 3,400 miles. This thing is a POS compared to my K1200RS I now miss dearly and regret trading for this new bike. I never had a problem with the RS. Replacement bike would likely be a Yamaha FJR1300 or wait for the new Honda VFR1200F which will be released in a few months.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Getting up to speed

A K1100LT with the brick K1200 engine shoe horned in. For me, the old LT has better wind protection and ergonomics. It just doesn't have the cajones my 04'GT has when it comes to acceleration.

Its also more maintenance friendly.

John B.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to island_tony Send a message via Yahoo to island_tony

BMW's are supposed to be the best quality motorcycle in the market. I am disappointed with the bike based upon the issues (ie. using the buyer for "Beta Testing") with dependability and design vs. the higher price. Also, based upon the big depreciation of the bikes from the beginning of 2008 to the dump of new bikes and subsequent poor resale at the end of 2008. I would look long and hard at other motorcycle manufacturers.

I have never owned a Jap bike before the one (ie. Suzuki Bandit 1200, 2003) that I purchased for my European trip. There are no issues what so ever. It is a simple straight forward design, good fit and finish, excellent performance, lower price. A new Jap bike would be at the top of my list.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 PM
0-60 in...eventually.

Send a message via MSN to kf6jxf

I'd need a 4th answer...I'd have to cross that bridge when I came to it. My KRS has been a great bike. I just don't get to ride often enough.

I never knew a KRS was such a civilized off road ride!
(kidding...live down 1/2 mile of dirt road)
Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Barack Paul 2012

I have a Triumph Speedmaster. The new Triumph Thunderbird wasn't made when I bought it, but it is now. I would take the T-Bird over the Speedmaster (even though I really like my speedy.)

As for Beemers, instead of another K12GT, I would buy a 2009 R1200GT.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

I have to say no, not because I am unhappy, but my RS is a 2000 and if buying today I would get a newer RS or an S. The newer RS's have Cruise and they are newer. When I bought it, it was the price and the bike I wanted. That said, when I get on it I still feel as happy as the day I bought it, so my vote in no way reflects any unhappiness with the bike.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Getting up to speed

No. I love the way my 08 K1200S handles, and I love the ergonomics, but the stalling issue blows. I think they have finally fixed it after 6 months. However, the fueling is still HORRIBLE. Seriously, worst fueled bike I have ever owned. And I still worry that it will start stalling again next summer when it gets hot. This is the first bike I have owned that I am terrified once the warranty expires... I've never had this many problems on any type of vehicle ever.

I would probably get a Multistrada or another VFR if I had my choice now. I love the 1000/1100DS motor on the Ducati, and the VFR is a solid motorcycle that I at least know how to fix if it breaks. The new multistrada would also peak my interest... but I doubt I would want to spend that kind of dough.

The 2010 Concours has peaked my interest as well, but I'm still not happy that it is a 700lb motorcycle. I prefer something in the low to mid 500 lbs range if I can help it. But who knows, I might like one if I tried it... especially since I primarily do 2-up.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Getting up to speed

1200 Gsa
Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
completely happy with the K12GT and the Ape, they make a fine pair.

Close for me, completely happy with the KS and MV!

You can't be a real country unless
you have a beer and an airline - it
helps if you have some kind of a
football team, or some nuclear
weapons, but at the very least you
need a beer.

--Frank Zappa
Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 PM

K1300S... not just yes, but HELL YES!!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Site Contributor

Good day riding today, Charlie?

We've gotten about 6-8 inches of snow and the damn plow plowed up part of my lawn again.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Shooting the gap

Not only 'Yes' but 'Hell Yes!' I love my '07 K12S!

At this point I can only afford 1 really nice bike at a time and there is nothing else I'd rather have if I have to have only 1 bike... Now, I sure wouldn't mind putting an S1000RR beside it in the garage in a year or two.
'04 K1200GT -- Went in for service and got a loaner K1200S. 'nough said
'07 K1200S -- Sold in OKC; I said I don't like city ridin'
'13 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail -- Wife says it's hers, I'm just the driver
'15 K1300S -- Wife said I needed my bike again, and some how I got to keep the Harley
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Sure I would. I knew when I bought this low mileage K1200 already out of warranty, in an area where the BMW dealer had closed, I would be taking off doodads when they broke, rather than wasting the money fixing them. That's what buying a used bike is all about :-)

regards,
Joe
Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 AM
Red Herring

Got to admit I wouldn't mind having one of these to take out occassionally.

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

07 Suzuki SV1000S

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
Old 04-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Getting up to speed

I picked up the deal on an 08 gt, i love the bike, but i stil wish i had searched for a black s, and the day the 1300s comes in black i will trade. he ergos on the s for me are almost custom like.

"if its not broken, fix it!"
"no pain, no pain"
Old 04-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

See my earlier post today...I'd buy the K1200S !
Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Getting up to speed

As stated previously in an age-related question response, I traded my 2008 R1200RT for a red 2010 Ducati 1100 EVO SP Hypermotard. I've 400 miles on it in one week's time and all I can say is "Yikes!" .

BMW once offered a somewhat competing bike, the Megamoto, but they were scarce, very pricey, and not quite as fun to look at and to ride.

Chuck V.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM
i-bmw.com charter member

Bump:
K1600 GT & K1600GTL. Its real.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Site Contributor

6 cylinders may have advantages in a touring bike, but in a sport platform such as a K13S or K13R and especially a S1000RR, there are inherent advantages of the more narrow, lighter 4 cylinder.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
i-bmw.com charter member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
6 cylinders may have advantages in a touring bike, but in a sport platform such as a K13S or K13R and especially a S1000RR, there are inherent advantages of the more narrow, lighter 4 cylinder.
Whatever the actual number of cylinders, an announcement is about 7 hours away..
Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron163
I answered NO - the stalling thing on the K13S is really pissing me off...

Ditto for the GT
Old 08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Born to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsav
Ditto for the GT

Not only no, but hell no!

We are both fed up with the lack of reliability in our '07 K1200GT's. The handling is great, but you are always wondering when the bike will sag, stall or blow up. Overall, we are sorry we sold what we had before and bought into the BMW beta test program. Unfortunately, unlike the companies I've worked for, BMW never fixed the problems, they just moved on.

As to what would we buy -- tough question. We are so soured on our experiences with the K12GT's that we may give up motorcycling altogether. We have 2 more years on Theresa's extended warranty. We'll decide then, if not before. Only sure thing, it will not be a BMW unless there are some drastic changes in the company approach and they have a bike out for 3 years essentially trouble free. If they can't make a complex bike (or car) reliable, they should drop out of the business.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Getting up to speed

I would really like to get a look at the K1600GT.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Barack Paul 2012

My plans are to move to a Kawasaki Concours 14 within the next year. Unlike BMW Motorad, Kawasaki listens to its audience and actually works to improve its models based in large part from recommendations and published reviews from those who actually ride their bikes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't also have someone monitoring the on-line forums in case something comes up they weren't otherwise aware of. There is no "perfect" bike, but from all accounts I've read, the K-Concours 14 comes pretty close, and there is always a Kawasaki dealer somewhere reasonably close should something unplanned happen or if service is needed.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC8551
My plans are to move to a Kawasaki Concours 14 within the next year.
688 LBS... Oh well, only 7 LBS more than your GT...
Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 PM
War Horse

Honda ST1300!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:46 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Talking Re: If shopping today for a bike, would you still buy what you have?

My Zebra is still putting smiles on my face but hey you never know where the road in front goes. Till ...........
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "