I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Highest speed over the limit resulting in a ticket
Poll Options
Highest speed over the limit resulting in a ticket

Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Best is to come

Send a message via MSN to Boissinot Send a message via Skype™ to Boissinot
Talking Re: Highest mph/kph over the limit resulting in a ticket

Back in 1978, drove a 1976 Firebird Trans-Am 400 CU.IN. at 135 mph in a 70 mph highway. I was entering a highway, at 7h30am going to the ski hill with a passenger. Was cruising alone on the road (not a soul) some 10 miles after, I stopped to let off the passenger on the side of the highway and by the time he got his bag out and his ski boots (going to another resort) the cop car pulled behind. What I did not know is when I drove on the highway, there was a police cruiser, far enough not to see it in my rearview mirror... but close enough to see me.
He told me I was driving fast (I had been letting the guy off for the last 45 sec. when he pulled behind) and said he did not have a car fast enough to follow me and that he was lucky I stopped... Gave me a $26 ticket (was cheap then) for speeding at 85 mph and told me to watch for a radar operation on the same highway later in the afternoon.
Nowaday I would have lost my driver's license for a year and paid over $2000 fine.

Now witht he K12RS I try to keep within the limits as much as I can...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Boissinot' for this post:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis
Re: Highest mph/kph over the limit resulting in a ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boissinot
Back in 1978, drove a 1976 Firebird Trans-Am 400 CU.IN. at 135 mph in a 70 mph highway. I was entering a highway, at 7h30am going to the ski hill with a passenger. Was cruising alone on the road (not a soul) some 10 miles after, I stopped to let off the passenger on the side of the highway and by the time he got his bag out and his ski boots (going to another resort) the cop car pulled behind. What I did not know is when I drove on the highway, there was a police cruiser, far enough not to see it in my rearview mirror... but close enough to see me.
He told me I was driving fast (I had been letting the guy off for the last 45 sec. when he pulled behind) and said he did not have a car fast enough to follow me and that he was lucky I stopped... Gave me a $26 ticket (was cheap then) for speeding at 85 mph and told me to watch for a radar operation on the same highway later in the afternoon.
Nowaday I would have lost my driver's license for a year and paid over $2000 fine.

Now witht he K12RS I try to keep within the limits as much as I can...

T'en est bien tiré mon boy...

Aujourd'hui y t'aurait rattrappé !

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Well, unfortunately, I must now add to this thread...

Yesterday (Saturday) morning about 8:00 am I was on my way to work on my four-week old 2011 K1300GT Exclusive Edition bike. The weather was clear and traffic was very light. I was on an on-ramp to the TransCanada Highway behind two cars which were going fairly slowly. Just then two bikers went past on the highway quite quickly. One bike looked exactly like mine and I really wanted to catch up to see if it was. (I have yet to meet a fellow BMW rider here in Montreal since getting my bike and I'd love to.)

Anyway, I got onto the highway and speeded up to catch up. The two bikes were still visible oh maybe half a mile ahead. The bad news was there was a cop car with radar hidden by the cement pillars of an overpass and I didn't see him until it was too late. I watched in my mirrors and for many long seconds nothing happened. Could I have been lucky and that he wasn't set up yet? More long seconds passed. Then the flashing red lights started up and the chase was on.

I pulled over to the slow lane (three lane divided highway) and yes as he came up behind me I pulled to the shoulder.

By the time he got to me, my helmet was off, the bike was off, and my license, registration and insurance were in my hand.

Yes, I knew I was going too fast, but I was trying to catch up to my two "friends" and it was only for a few seconds. He went back to his car and was there for the longest time. Finally he came back, handed my papers back with another white paper (not looking like any ticket I'd ever seen) and told me to drive more carefully next time.

But it was a ticket. Almost $400 and 5 demerit points! He clocked me at 146 kph on a 100 kph zone (that's 90 mph in a 62 zone).

The biggest problem is that I already had 3 demerit points, meaning that any other "mistake" could result in significantly higher insurance or even license suspension. All the fun has just gone out of riding the bike.

I really should have contested the 3 points thing, but that was months ago and it is way too late now. But I figured that since I had no other demerit points (and never did) there really was nothing to worry about. Now though, with 8 points I really am worried.

When I got the 3 points, I was driving my "cage" home through my regular route through a residential area. The speed limit there is only 40 kph and almost always there is a cop hidden somewhere on the route. Either with radar or watching for people going through stop signs. I know this and I'm always extra careful. I make sure to go exactly 40 kph which really pisses off other drivers who don't know about the police. (Besides, my car is a hybrid and at 40 kph the motor is completely off and that's kinda cool.) So I had this jerk right on my bumper for several blocks and he was making me nervous but I wasn't going to speed up.

At a stop sign with only a road going off to the right a cop was parked. I was watching for him, saw him, and DID make my stop. But he came after me, saying I did not stop long enough. Yes it was pretty quick, but I did stop, check in all directions, see the cop, etc. And the guy on my bumper the whole time drove off without anything. I really should have contested this.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Sympathy would be appreciated.

Eldor
#6: 2011 K1300GT Exclusive Edition
#7: 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS sold
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Member BMWMOA
Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldor
Well, unfortunately, I must now add to this thread...
But it was a ticket. Almost $400 and 5 demerit points! He clocked me at 146 kph on a 100 kph zone (that's 90 mph in a 62 zone).

The biggest problem is that I already had 3 demerit points, meaning that any other "mistake" could result in significantly higher insurance or even license suspension. All the fun has just gone out of riding the bike.
Eldor

That's a pissah... Bin désolé pour toi... Hope you understand French!

Anything over 3 points is gonna cost ya more from now on and over 6 demerits it goes up a lot more. Just look at your renewal when it comes in...
You are in trouble...
I am saddened to say this but you'll hafta put a for sale sign on the GT...

And adhere to the safe and slow hybrid driving principle...

I'd offer to take it off your hands but I am not a fan of the aesthetics of the GT...

First letter of the bike model is right on but the second one is a letter late...

Cheers and bonne chance!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I got done for 165 km/h in a 100 km/h zone two weeks ago on my way to the Staffie rally in Pilgrim's Rest. To compound matters I was overtaking on a solid white line at the time. Not sure as to who the cop was trying to pull off, and not wanting to cut in front of the car and risk him rear-ending me while under heavy braking I continued on my merry way. 13 km down the road the rest of the police force pulled me off as I was entering town. Needless to say they were very peed off. It looked like I was going to spend the weekend in the local jail on a diet of bread and water, with an appointment with the local magistrate on Monday morning. My plans of beers, wet T-shirt competitions, and hanging out with the mates seemed to have flown out the window. This being Africa, however, bribery and corruption flourishes, and after lightening my wallet somewhat, the corrupt official sent me on my merry way. Needless to say, the rally was a great success, I got some great pics of gorgeous mammaries in wet T-shirts, and enjoyed the beers even more, considering the alternatives.

ps Eldor. There must be something wrong with your GT. Mine does 254 km/h. GPS verified!
'11 K1300 GT (Thanks Outsurance), '11 K1300 GT STOLEN '09 K1300GT sold '89 Honda GL1500 Wing sold '81 GL1100 Wing sold '85 Suzuki GSX1100 sold '79 Kawa Z1000 stolen '78 Suzuki GS750 sold BSA 450 Honda XR500 Honda CB90, CB50 Suzuki AC50, AS50
Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,033 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by epringle
I got some great pics of gorgeous mammaries in wet T-shirts, and enjoyed the beers even more, considering the alternatives.
So where are the pictures??
Old 09-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Best is to come

Send a message via MSN to Boissinot Send a message via Skype™ to Boissinot

I was just about to write the same thing...
Old 09-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
That's a pissah... Bin désolé pour toi... Hope you understand French!

Anything over 3 points is gonna cost ya more from now on and over 6 demerits it goes up a lot more. Just look at your renewal when it comes in...
You are in trouble...
I am saddened to say this but you'll hafta put a for sale sign on the GT...

And adhere to the safe and slow hybrid driving principle...

I'd offer to take it off your hands but I am not a fan of the aesthetics of the GT...

First letter of the bike model is right on but the second one is a letter late...

Cheers and bonne chance!

Oui, je comprend le francais, mais I don't write it very well.

My GPS reported that my highest speed (since I last reset it) was 144 kph. The cop said his radar got me at 146. 145 would have been only 3 demerit points (and less money). I think I should contest the ticket in hopes that they at least reduce it by ONE kph.

I am guilty of speeding, but was it 144, 145 or 146 kph?

Any advice?

Sorry, the bike is not for sale. Yet.

I don't understand your comment/joke about the first letter of the bike...

Cheers!
Member BMWMOA
Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by epringle
ps Eldor. There must be something wrong with your GT. Mine does 254 km/h. GPS verified!

That was quite a story, but like the others, I won't believe you until I see the photos!

Until getting this bike I never fully realized how horribly limiting our maximum 100 kph speed limit is here in Canada. And our cops usually cannot be bribed. SIGH
Member BMWMOA
Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12RKEN
Worst I ever got was on my 1984 Honda 500 Interceptor(it had exh,int,cams,etc...) on the way home from work on the interstate.I crested a hill over a cloverleaf and saw a cop coming up the on ramp.I said "he doesn't see me",so I keep on gittin it(120-130mph through rush hr traffic).he catches up to me about 2-3 miles down the road.I pull over,shut the bike off,pull out the paperwork.He gets out of his marked cruiser dressed in street clothes. He walks up and says" do you have any f#ckin idea how fast you were going back there?? I say no officer!!! He says" niether do I but I know damn well you were haulin ass".I see it comin!!!! Proceeds to write me a 6 point reckless driving ticket and somehow let me ride off. He also said I came over that hill so fast he couldn't get the radar on quick enough to clock me.
Side note; not long after that I lost my license for habitual offender(3 driving under suspensions and 10 traffic violations in 18 months) SC says all you gotta do is have one or the other to loose it for 5 yrs(Oooops!!!!!!!) I HAD BOTH!!!! At my license review hearing I asked the guy holding the stack of paper(called my DMV record) if there was any chance I could get a provisional for driving to and from work.He laughed so hard on the way out the door I thought he was gonna blow a gasket!!!!!
And to think I was just doing 130(in a 55) on the interstate yesterday.Some of us never learn

the bolded part got a lol from me at work

Currently Have:
-2004 K1200GT
-2013 Street Triple
-1978 Honda CB400A
Old 09-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Oui...

I don't understand your comment/joke about the first letter of the bike...

Cheers!

GS uh... GT !

Ride West 2008
Old 09-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
GS uh... GT !

Ok, I was thinking the first letter was "K"... K1300GT. Now I get it.

Cheers!
Member BMWMOA
Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Ok, I was thinking the first letter was "K"... K1300GT. Now I get it.

Cheers!

How does Homer say it?

Oh yeah... DOH!

Good luck contesting it!

Cheers

Ride West 2008
Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Getting up to speed

Many years ago in Florida at about 5 a.m. going to work on a straight road I blew past a cop on the side of the road while I was doing about 135. Thought I was home free when he did not pursue but up ahead they were waiting in the roadway........

So, umm, well I did not have a license at that time due to a few indescretions in NY but I did have a peice of paper that served as a restricted license indicating I could drive to and from a workplace - in NY. Problem was I was about 1300 miles from where I was supposed to be.

I confidentally presented my BS license to the Florida officer and tried to explain that I could use it in Florida when he interupted and told me he was retired from a NYC precinct and he knew exactly what that worthless peice of paper meant. Thought I was cooked but he gave a "local" a break and let me go. I was wearing a uniform from a local large hotel in the area at the time and he knew I was going to work.

In my somewhat older age I no longer misbehave to that extent.....that anyone knows of
Old 10-18-2010, 12:19 PM

190km/hr in a 100km/hr Highway 401 crossing the really rough Yonge Street bridge area eastbound...
Sunday morning 07:00am - not many cars out there so I was rocking it a little late
for a computer fixing job in Toronto.

He came up behind me, 220km/hr he told me later, I had passed him just as he started
pulling onto the ramp, he was big grins and laughed when I pulled off my helmet...
"Gray hair? You could be my Dad!" He was 25 years old I was just south of 50.

He was driving an interceptor and was usually a bike cop but, he said his Harley was
broken and in the shop. He liked the Black BMW R1100RT, he wished he had it instead
of me... he expected me to wave, hit it hard and disappear - he didn't know the RT would top out at 225km/hr - he gave me a ticket 15 over 115 in a 100 limit
The RT had Ohlins and he said it bombed through the bumps like I was sitting on my couch... he also noticed I was riding with thumb and forefinger on the throttle, left hand was on the tank and I was riding super smooth and not being a jerk.

The last thing he said was - "I really like your bike"

I paid the ticket - no points. ($50?)

Nice!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Gee, what a lucky guy you are!

The cop that got me didn't cut me any kind of break at all... Got me at 146 in a 100 km zone (TransCanada Hwy) and that's 5 demerit points. 145 would have been 3 points.
Member BMWMOA
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 AM

Get a black 1999-ish R1100RT - I had yellow fog lights, Ohlins, Air rider seat, Throttle gizmo & top box - never used the saddlebags - Staintune pipe... the cops loved me...

Another time I was 130pm/hr in a 60km/hr zone... cop on a Harley ...he saw the gray hair, asked for my paperwork and said "It is your lucky day - I have to go" he took off - I had a case of 12 beers strapped on the back seat... no ticket

The RT had them fooled a bit... black and beautiful... like a chess man
Old 10-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Pirelli Angel ST

Does anyone out there have any feedback about the Angel ST's? Checking prices for the Diablo's I came across this ones (looks like they been around for a year or so). Motorcycle Superstore reviews show good notes (A's and B's)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Re: Pirelli Angel ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy O
Does anyone out there have any feedback about the Angel ST's? Checking prices for the Diablo's I came across this ones (looks like they been around for a year or so). Motorcycle Superstore reviews show good notes (A's and B's)
Hey Speedy, how about putting this in a different forum and thread that isn't devoted to speeding tickets.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 PM

FWIW:

I'm an assitant district attorney in a rural part of Oklahoma. Friday, four tickets came across my desk for 136 in a 75. That's 51 over. Suzukis and Yamahas (sport bikes, I assume) riding in a group. All four guys were in their mid-40's.

Whoops! One of them was riding with a revoked license, revoked for points. That one's going to hurt. The other guys just got speeding tickets. I'm not sure how much they are. Close to $300.00 I imagine.

Although the officer didn't cite them for reckless, those speeds really ought to be reserved for track days in my opinion. This was, however, on a pretty lonely stretch of turnpike.

Be careful out there.

Tyson
Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to Yellowjacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Clive
...He came up behind me, 220km/hr he told me later, I had passed him just as he started
pulling onto the ramp, he was big grins and laughed when I pulled off my helmet...
"Gray hair? You could be my Dad!" He was 25 years old I was just south of 50.

If we don't specify vehicles then 128/65 mph in a car. Thank goodness no tix on the bike.Fine was $300 back in the mid nineties.
The R1100RT top speed is impressive even by today's standard hp.

BTW I test rode a late model R1200RTP and was impressed by the low speed handling "parading" at 5mph with police gearing and how fast it can get up to speed. I wish I had that gearing in my bikes.

Gen. J. Mattis, USMC:“PowerPoint makes us stupid.”
Gen. McMaster:“Some problems in the world are not bullet-izable.” (NY Times)
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I got my drivers licence in 93 ( car) and bike in 96. My first ticket was last year 4kmh or 3mph in the car in the center of Lisbon. I'd managed to dodge that bullet for so long it really pissed me off. A few months earlier was out for a ride with a friend on a cbr600 out in the country side and was was way over 130mph in a 55 zone. My friend was way behind and apparently just above legal. Got pulled over and thought this one is gonna hurt! The officer asked for my licence and registration and just as I was handing it to him my friend arrives. He asks my if we were together, I replied and he promptly told me that my friend had been caught speeding. Couldn't believe my ears. :-) ( I keep telling my friend to get a yellow K, its stealth!!! )

Another time was riding with 3 buddies ( 1 KTM 950, 1 yellow KRS, 1 grey KRS and 1 gray KS). We had just woken up and were on our way to get some breakfast. This was on the second day of a week of touring. On a 90kmh/55mph highway in the north of Portugal we were doing about 130kmh/80mph. I was in second right behind the K12S and was thinking to myself that if my friend didn´t speed up a bit I was going to fall asleep. A few moments later we all got pulled over and told that the BMW's were caught speeding. Thought to myself ( after this I turning around and going straight back home) a few second later the officer returns and says just as I was getting my licence out. Sorry there was a mistake, the yellow BMW is ok, only the 2 grey ones were caught. :-) :-) They had set the radar to 130km/h, I was doing 129km/h my 2 friend on the grey KRS and S were doing 130 and 131 km/h and the KTM was doing 128. While they were paying I was talking pictures :-)

Cheers,

Antonio.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Site Contributor

120mph in a 70mph zone whilst I was living in the Middle East (Sultanate of Oman) on my MV Agusta F4, I was taken directly to jail for what was supposed to be a 48 hour jail sentance along with a fine (fine was small around $100), thankfully like many things in the Middle East, its a case of who you know! My young Son raced Karts with the Chief of police's Son, so after my wife called the chief, I was out of jail within two hours. After that experience, I mainly curtailed my speeding to doing track days at the Dubai autodrome racetrack!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BikersOman Photo Gallery.jpg (34.4 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Thehighlander : 01-13-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Fast Thinker

Send a message via AIM to Corlock Send a message via MSN to Corlock Send a message via Yahoo to Corlock Send a message via Skype™ to Corlock

47 over. I spent 2 days in Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Tent City in Phoenix AZ. Highly NOT recommended.
===============================
2013 K1300S anniversary edition "Special K"...Currently modding as usual. (current as of March 2018)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Site Contributor

Got caught in deals gap last April, 58 in a 30. Oldest son was about 3 feet behind me. Cop thought that was funny.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlock
47 over. I spent 2 days in Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Tent City in Phoenix AZ. Highly NOT recommended.

This begs for it's own thread and full disclosure bud...

Ride West 2008
Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

110 in a 55 outside Rock Rapids, Iowa abou 2:30 am. I hadn't been drinking so they just gave me a ticket and went back to looking for drunks. Plus it only cost me 121 bucks.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badg3r
Must try harder!

1998 - 155mph in 60mph zone (national speed limit is 60). A heavily worked ZXR750 green-machine, the one with the drain hoses for air ram. Banned 2 years. Was on national TV. Dry, deserted road, no other cars, highway with fences on each side, but a helicopter overhead... Left the country for elsewhere. Since then no tickets, and have been up around 170mph....? Luck of the draw (touch wood).

Like this - loved that bike
Since we're reviving an ancient thread here, THAT is respectable!!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Was pulled over on Valentine's night going 100 in a 35 mph about 15 years ago in a Mazda Miata, I was in my 20's. So that was 65 mph over, almost triple the speed limit. It was on 163rd street in North Miami Beach, a commercial district. I saw the cop sitting at an intersection and immediately pulled over when I saw the blue lights. He proceeded to pass me, make a U-turn, and come back to where I was sitting and waiting. Jumped out of the car with gun drawn and freaking out. I was just sitting on the side waiting and got out. Several more cops came - I went to jail.

In court a week or so later I showed up without a lawyer. That's when I learned how the justice system works. There were many other traffic cases before mine, 10 over, 15 over. The whole courtroom erupted in laughter when the judge read mine: 65 mph over. The cop that I sat and waited for said I ran from him. ??? I tried to get the public defender to help me right there on the spot while I was standing before the judge, he declined. The prosecutor asked for a year in prison.

The judge dropped the case with court fees and a fine. Whew. I've been 165 mph in my Corvette, and 170 mph in my Porsche. I used to reach 165 on my Suzuki Katana at least once per week when I was younger. But there is a time and a place. I should not have been doing that in a 35 mph...

Reason I was driving so fast? Mad I got stood up on Valentine's night by a date.. lol
Old 10-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Different every day

The guy in post 104...165 in an 80...that's not bad either. You're gonna have to raise the bar, Charlie.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trond
a grey BMW 3-series overtakes me in the left lane. Switches over to my lane and starts to slow down. To 120km/h.
My first thought was, What the h... is he doing??
Changes to left lane and open her up, stays in left for a while and then back in the middle lane. Still at some speed...

What happens next is the exact same thing over again. And I got quite pissed. I mean, there were so little traffic on the Autobanh and I felt he was f... with me.

This is how he got you man. He probably needed to clock you accurately and decided to f... with you until you had no choice but to get away from him. Not very fair. Something similar happened to me in the U.S. once.

I had lived in Germany between 2004 and 2006 and didn't get any tickets because my Porsche 911 was home in the U.S. (good thing). Was driving a VW there and a Benz ML class.

Interestingly I did however receive a ticket from Switzerland in 2002 in the mail 6 months later from the Alamo rental car company in the U.S. - I remember the flash in the tunnel but I don't remember the details of that one. The ticket actually followed me all the way home.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Shooting the gap

Got one yesterday, in Peoples Rebublic of Northern Virginia, beautiful weather, Sunday morning. I was heading back after a 3 hour sprint across the mountains, up the valley to Front Royal, coming back on a favorite stretch of road.

Came up behind me, never saw him, I pulled out to pass a car, on a long downhill straight, got me doing 88 in a 55, wrote me up, have to appear in court, OUCH !
Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Different every day

Very sorry to hear that. You know about the reckless driving thing, right?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Getting up to speed

1982 186 kmh in a 30 zone 9 point and $742.00 fine Smart ass told me i have been wainting a long time to chatch some one like you. I just reply That's mighty nice off you officer i got here as fast as i could.
The of all i didn't have to pay anything nor did i loose any point. They gave me a court date on a sunday when all the courts are close.

You cant imagine how close i was watch after that since this was a small village

All that just because i was late for work.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
hwychild

Ok, here's one for you.

When I was 16 I got my license and then took my test and got my endorsement.
Fastforward when I was twenty, a broke college student, I called the DMW to ask ho much to renew my license. $14 sir. I drove down with $15 in my pocket and was informed it would cost $2 more to renew my endorsement. I dropped it.

About 6 years later I'm riding into work, at a major telco, machine down and $40,000 price tag for every minute of downtime. I'm haulin a$$ in the HOV lane on V65 Magna 125 mph or so. I notice a white car passing traffic in my mirror. I slow down to 60, he follows me for at least a mile. I'm tired of the game so I put my turn signal on to change lanes. He hits the lights I pull over.

I take off my helmet get my paperwork. He asks "how fast were you going"? I respond "I don't know". this repeats 6 or seven times.

He writes me for no endorsement and tells to slow down.
Sure thing officer

00 K12RS Smooth and fast. I like 'em that way.
02 HD Softail High CDI factor, tractors are fun too!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Shooting the gap

Just got a Escort Redline to incorporate into a stealthmount inside a Tankbag w/ the Parnes visual alert on the dash.

I'm playing around w/ it in a vehicle for a week or two. Anyone have any tips on setting up the Parnes unit to work w/ the Redline ?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Flying Low

Never been stopped on my bike for speed, but a few times in my car. Fortunately, I had my brass pass with me.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound
Just got a Escort Redline to incorporate into a stealthmount inside a Tankbag w/ the Parnes visual alert on the dash.

I'm playing around w/ it in a vehicle for a week or two. Anyone have any tips on setting up the Parnes unit to work w/ the Redline ?
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. The two critical things with the Parnes unit is that you must have the volume on the radar turned all the way to max, and have the "auto-mute" function turned off...
Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I asked my buddy who happens to be a motorcycle cop about speeding and not getting caught. He said with the laser gun that they used there is no way to avoid not getting tagged once it's on you. The reading the gun gives is almost instant. Sort of bummed me out but has made me ride a lot slower especially after one ticket and $1000 later.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Getting up to speed

There's a reason no car chases on COPS ends up with them getting away: Propaganda.

http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/g...x-laser-jammer
Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Getting up to speed

There's a reason no car chases on COPS ends up with them getting away: Propaganda.

http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/g...x-laser-jammer

Of course, it's just a tool, not an invisible cloak. Ride accordingly.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Jesus saves!

But if they can't catch you with a bike like these, what's the point of even admitting this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzdog
I asked my buddy who happens to be a motorcycle cop about speeding and not getting caught. He said with the laser gun that they used there is no way to avoid not getting tagged once it's on you. The reading the gun gives is almost instant. Sort of bummed me out but has made me ride a lot slower especially after one ticket and $1000 later.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
But if they can't catch you with a bike like these, what's the point of even admitting this?

You can't out run a radio. You maybe able to get lucky and evade a cop or two but eventually you get caught if you continue.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Jesus saves!

A cop or two? LMAO...try an entire 'police force'! Go away little man..
Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
A cop or two? LMAO...try an entire 'police force'! Go away little man..

Wow! the entire police force. That is super bad ass. All three cars.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Jesus saves!

Well actually 7, because I saw at least 3 pass when I was hiding in that private drive pass by and then 1 that followed me from there to half way down the highway to the hotel while the other 3 were still waiting for me on that first road I turned off of. And in that part of VA, I'd say that was the entire police force! lol
Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote:
Well actually 7, because I saw at least 3 pass when I was hiding in that private drive pass by and then 1 that followed me from there to half way down the highway to the hotel while the other 3 were still waiting for me on that first road I turned off of. And in that part of VA, I'd say that was the entire police force! lol

There's gets to be more cops every time you tell the story.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Jesus saves!

Not a tall tell story jealous man, go away and get back too to your farm little man..
Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Speed trap just south of Seattle - construction zone that began 50 miles back and 5 cars + 1 m/c (me) had all crept up to 80+ mph having long ago forgotten about the construction zone starting . . . Came around sweeping right curve to see 6 Washington Highway Patrol cars to greet us! I never did find the end of the construction zone speed trap . . .

Ride safe . . .

Papa
Old 09-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Max speed +-245kph
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Living the Dream

When I was in my 20's and 30's I lost my licence twice for being bad on my motorcycle.

The third time I was arrested and thrown in jail but did not lose my license because of an administrative error by the Justice of the Peace.

The worst one was 180kph in an 80 zone, the officer felt sorry for me because it was raining and he thought I was going to die.............. I felt totally under control for a kid on a bald rear Dunlop
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Send a message via Skype™ to lazeyjack

Lost my licence twice when I was young
But the most frightening thing happened to me in Romania
There are no real sp.limit signs, just a picture of a village, you are then supposed to slow to 50km/h which is 30mph
I did not understand this at all
So I was doing 110, that is about 66mph when flagged down
The police who spoke excellent English said that I was in serious strife Any vehicle travelling plus 100km/h in a 50 zone was to be impounded, taken to Bucherest. My passport and licences would be held
I tried explaining, they kept on saying "big problem" they went to their car with all my papers and let me stew for 20 mins
Finally they came back and said again"Big problem, BUT you =can pay a fine"
How much I said
'two million Lea" he said
I opened my wallet and there was only 1.5 million of these funny munny things
"Putting his hands into my wallet he said
"No problem , one mill for us, .5 for you"
I could have kissed the guy
I clambered aboard without asking for my ticket
I have driven in 51 lands now, only trouble was in Slovakia where they tried to shake me down for some money for doing what was an illegal U turn. I refused
Same in Ukraine.
Never had bother in USA, but I behaved there, as I do everywhere. Being a guest in a country , I never abuse the privilege.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Cycle Therapist

I never, ever ever ever speed. Really.

Are you a COP ? ? ?

02 R 1150 RS
02 K 1200 RS
04 K 1200 RS
07 K 1200 S
08 K 1200 S
10 K 1300 S
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Entering the on-ramp

My worst ticket was 118mph in a 65mph on my 99 ZRX1100. It cost me $500 and change and I lost my license for a year. I learned two valuable lessons that day. Don't speed on highways or places you don't know the roads and don't stop
Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 PM

Talking Re: Highest mph/kph over the limit resulting in a ticket

110 MPH in a 50 MPH zone. State of Maine. $700 and 2 days in jail. I was slowing down officer give me a break!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:48 PM

FWIW I really was slowing down. I was with my bro. We both had Blackbirds and triple digit speeds were the rule rather than the exception. Oh, man the fun. I miss it. Not reckless though, although my bro would think otherwise. He trailed. Triples are very rare these days. I learned my lesson!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Jail, but it could have been because they thought I stole the car, and not just for the 100+mph. I was young.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

While in college in 1988, I got tagged going 94 in a 45 on my GPZ 750 Turbo. Was stuck behind a car going 5 mph under the limit - when we finally got to a passing zone I opened it up, got up to around 130 or so and luckily was slowing back down when a Deputy heading the other direction got me on radar - hit his lights before we passed each other. If I had been smart, I would have just accelerated and turned off, no way he could have even come close to catching up and knowing where I was. I wasn't sure how fast I was going when he clocked me, and didn't think it was as fast as it was, so I just slowed down to the limit and waited for him to catch up, which took a while. He ended up patting me down, putting me in the back of his car and threatening to take me to jail. He said that since I didn't try to run he was going to give me a break and not take me in. Ticket ended up costing me $560.00. For a broke college student in 1988, that was a TON of money.
2009 Ducati Monster 696(the wife's)
Old 10-07-2013, 04:57 PM

Just got pulled on Saturday/05th afternoon...

2002 K1200RS late for a work appointment - I fix computers for Oracle Canada
I was heading up a 4x lane divided highway - up a hill and no cars anywhere
I crested the hill and I could see at the bottom of the hill the cops standing with the tripod and radar going - one started walking out into the roadway to pull me over...

I waved and pulled up right where he was standing
He said - "You are going a bit quick this afternoon"
I told him I was late for work and a bunch of techs were waiting etc.
I gave him my paperwork and he said - "You were going 147kph in a 50kph zone"
&
"We should be impounding your bike, I'll see what I can do"

( I had no idea it was a 50kph zone - it looks like 80kph ?!)

( Double any speed limit or 50kph over and they impound your vehicle in Toronto and call it "Street Racing" -it really hurts your licence/insurance like impaired driving)

He came back with my ticket - 70kph in a 50kph zone - not too bad - $95.00
He said - "I am going off-shift and I don't want to spend most of my Saturday night with you" + "This is your lucky day"

Off I went to work...

I just paid the $95.00 online because I don't want to see that guy in court!

WHEW!

Moral: Get pulled on Saturday afternoons - Cops want Saturday nights too!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Site Contributor

In the early 80's on my 81 R100RS I was running WFO in 4th & 5th on a rural road in an undeveloped part of Orange County Ca. I spied a suspicious silhouette in the far distance of my rear-views. I backed down to legal speed and when the CHP cruiser got close he lit his lights. The officer had seen me from a distant hillside off a side road and took chase; but by time he was within "clocking" distance I was putting along at the then National 55mph limit. He breathlessly said it took over 5 miles too catch up to me, and asked "How fast WAS I going?". I looked at my "80mph maximum" speedometer that was currently dictated by the DOT and I told him "I don't know; the bike can only do 80mph according to the speedometer!" as I co-operatively pointed at the speedo.

25mph over and traffic school for "problem drivers".

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.