I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: What was your age when you bought your first Beemer
16-25 183 9.04%
26-35 358 17.68%
36-45 599 29.58%
46-55 580 28.64%
56-65 263 12.99%
66-75 36 1.78%
76-85 2 0.10%
Under 16 4 0.20%
Voters: 2025. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Question Age and Beemers

So this started on another thread and I thought I would post a poll and a question.

Why do you think most Beemer riders are middle age or older when most Japanese motorcycle riders are younger and Harleys seem to bridge the gap with both young and old riders.

What is it about the BMW product or marketing that got you to buy your first Beemer?

As always have fun and play safe
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mike_s' for this post:
Old 07-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Re: Age and Beemers

Economics 101. A lot fewer people will pay $20K for a bike when you can spend 60% on a comparable alternative. And the ones who can afford such luxury, it's usually later in life.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'elp_jc' for this post:
Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

how about adding in under 16 for me? I was 15
Old 07-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Getting up to speed

I was one of the outlyers, too. At 23, I bought a (slightly) used R80ST. I liked the BMW reputation for longevity. After two Harleys that nickel-and-dimed me to death, and seemed to need a top end rebuild every year, I was ready for something more dependable. Going back to something Japanese would have been too embarassing. That was 21 years ago, and I still have a beemer.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Twisted Wrister

I told everyone when I got to be an old guy I was going to buy a BMW.
Here I am...
Old 07-23-2006, 04:48 AM
The Terminator

Simple: when the K1 was introduced I was drooling all over it, but at that time there were two kids going to school etc. When I could afford to buy my K1 I did so right away. Added the K12RS for everyday use and see no need to change. Love'm both!

You don't have to outrun the lion - you just have to outrun the other tourist...

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Getting up to speed

Didn't ride 2 wheels until this January. Drove a 1998 R1100R for 3000 miles then upgraded to the GT. The local dealer in Baton Rouge indicates that I'm one of the youngest customers by 20 years and that BMW seems to draw the older crowd. They don't know why, that's just what they observe.

Gravity
Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Postmeister

i think the main reason is $$$$$ because unless your born with a silver spoon in your mouth most folks under 25 can't afford a 18 grand motorcycle, me included. when i was 20 and had the desire to buy a bike i could afford a used jap bike in the 3000-4000 dollar range and didn't even dream of buying a bike that cost as much as a car. back then i would have called you an idiot for spending 18-20 grand on a bike when you could have purchased a car. well now that i'm 45 and much better off financially than i was when i was 20 i had no problem dropping $17,000 for my "S". i also think as you get older and more mature you look at quality and longevity more so than when your young. when your young you want a bike and don't care weather it'll be running 4 years later or not. with my beemer i know i can keep it for a lot of years and put a lot of miles on it which makes it a lot easier to spend the dollars for the beemer over a jap bike that cost 7 grand less.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Entering the on-ramp

The Honda 305 Scrambler was not very reliable...fix all week to ride till it broke on the weekend.

Been on BWM's ever since.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
Yes you are "special".
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'atrovariousg' for this post:
Old 07-27-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovariousg
Yes you are "special".
its a poll about what age you owned a beemer at, I owned my first at 15, its a problem I ask for a grouping to vote into? , who peed in your cheerios?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,895 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
Fire away Karl, I suspect you'll be the only one in the new category.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:19 PM

thank you very much Rick, who knows maybe someone else also got into BMW's before they even got a Lic. I used to put on my leather Jacket, full face Bell Star Helmet and Sunglass and go cruise (when my folks werent home) as long as I was riding within legal speeds the cops never guessed there was a kid to young to be on the road under there on a full dress Beemer.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Remembered Member

This is a trick question.

I bought my first beemer in 1976 when I was 33 years old. The reason I bought it was because I didn't like the Gold Wing and I was looking for a touring bike so the wife and I could take long vacations in the saddle. the GW was too quiet and the beemer was lighter and sounded more like a motorcycle and you had to look at the tachometer to tell the engine was running on the GW. I had owned nothing but twins up to and including the '76 900/6. The cost was almost identical to the GW back in '76.

There were many Japanese bikes between my first beemer and my '98 Taxi and my age at the purchase of the '98 was 55. Everything after my first beemer has been a 4 cylinder engine.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Shooting the gap

I wasn't attracted to BMW's, until the K1200S came along...the other beamers just lacked the performance of their counterparts until recently. I always thought the beamers were for old men. Oops, guess I fall into that category now.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
the I always thought the beamers were for old men. Oops, guess I fall into that category now.

Painful ain't it...papa! Now you look in the mirror in the morning and wonder who the old dude is looking at you.

Doug
Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Shooting the gap

Na Doug...I'm only 46...got alot long way to catch up with you!

I'm really interested in getting a 1200 GS now - really neat bike and a good way to spend my "Golden Years".
Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider

I'm really interested in getting a 1200 GS now - really neat bike and a good way to spend my "Golden Years".

I don't know about that "Golden Years" thing but I'm leaning the same way. I'm just having a blast with the WR and am doing some hot-rodding of it as we speak. Riding in the dirt again has just been like riding a bicycle...can still do it just fine and will be looking for some competition (if I can find something relatively close) as soon as the stamina gets up to an acceptable level. The GT seems like it may be OK for my "sporting" tendencies and a GS for getting a "little" dirty...then the WR for mudslinging. It'll be a while before I decide though. Still can't decide about track days...the GT won't get it there...

Doug
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Getting up to speed

first off, i am getting ready to buy my first BMW.

most likely the k1200s (although i may go R instead)... at 51

btw, my 305 scrambler needed very little service.

to me, BMW has always meant comfort. i own a '03 buell firebolt.
not comfortable. but a lot of fun. American made. i own a '99
excelsior-henderson Super X. great boulevard cruiser.

i am looking to make longer trips, and want the performance of
a buell, but in something that i can ride for days. i drove my
first buell from dallas to ft. lauderdale two years ago in three
days. a lot of fun, but a lot of work too.

a good friend had the goldwing... it just does not move me...
and in the aftermarket parts biz, they call owners: goldwhinners!

i am ready for 160+ ponies and 0-60mpg in less than 3 seconds;
all while being comfortable enough to ride a 1000+ miles a day...

-jeff k.

http://consultski.blogspot.com/2006/...ine-quick.html
Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,264 Posts

Up until May of this year I had never owned a motorcycle and am pretty sure the last time I rode one was when I was a freshman in college back in '75. Sometime in April I began thinking about getting a motorcycle. Like a few other folks on this thread have commented, I am at a stage in my life where I can financially afford a toy or two for myself.

I initially considered getting a Harley but the more research I did I noticed two things...
1). Even a nice used one was fairly expensive and not much less than a new one. 2). Most owners I talked to all said for long distance it's not the most comfortable ride.

I have a friend who has been riding a K12RS for a few years and remembered him telling me about all these rally's & long distance trips he & his buddies would go on... Texas to Utah & back, Texas Hill Country rides, etc. Sounded fun... So I visited my local BMW shop and there on the showroom floor was my K12RS. I remember thinking, "holy shit, that thing looks so cool!" Certainly not an old man's ride! Next thing I know, I'm signing the papers and taking it home. I told my wife it was a birthday present to myself and she just rolled her eyes. Owning this bike is the one of the few things I've done lately that my 15 year old son doesn't think is "gay". He always shows it off to his friends whenever they're over.

The K12RS is an awesome looking bike and it looks fast just sitting still. I always get compliments on it wherever I go, even from the Harley guys. They know what BMW's are all about! This bike is the perfect mixture of performance & style and the dual purpose sport touring capability is like no other bike in my opinion. Legendary dependability is a huge bonus and I am having a ball and starting out in style with this bike as my 1st motorcycle.

Now I can definitely see how you could find yourself owning several motorcycles over time and in my mind's eye I can already see my next one... K12S in black. Sahweet!!!!!!!!! Once I get some more riding time and experience it will be mine!
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Site Contributor

My first bike was a Yamaha 80 cc - but I always lusted after a Beemer.

When I was 29, I got my hands on a 1968 RED /2, (yes factory red) with US forks. I kept that baby for 12 years and made a huge mistake of trading it in for a 96 R bike - rather than restoring it. I am still kicking myself, although I have a 2003 K1200RS.

Roders.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Shooting the gap

I started to go for a ride with a group of young sport bike riders Sunday, I rode with two of them from Reno to Carson (about 30 miles).
We hooked up with a half dozen other guys, four 22yr olds and a couple of guys mid forties or so. Most on 600's, most with tires well ground down from getting jiggy with it, some with scrapes from having gone down a little.

So they take off to get gas and one of the young guys in front of me starts leaning it side to side quickly like he's on a race track warming up his tire; this is on the main heavily trafficked highway in the middle of Carson City! I felt like the world's biggest fool just being behind the guy and I backed off him and was still feeling like the world must be looking at me. These guys were speeding needlessly and riding a little silly and I was waiting for the cops to descend on us like bears on honey.

At the gas station I told one of the older guys the crowd was just a little to youthful for my taste and good luck to them, he understood and also remarked that he wished they were a little more of a mature lot. Not bad guys I'm saying but some antics are meant for the track.

They probably thought I was just some old prude who can't ride and that BMW's are pompus and overweight (they are a little on the portly side of the scale I admit) but I'd rather have them think that then to have gotten a ticket or ended up worse from their lack of judgement.

I think of my K12RS as a bike with exceptional comfort for a non-touring bike with the abilities of a fat sportbike that when the situation does permit and is more appropriate is able to get quite jiggy with it.

And to top it off, it's got cruise, heated grips, ABS, great bags for hauling plunder, and all in a nice looking package.

Sorry to get so far off track, I was just putting these thoughts in the area of age and experience in what I think most of the members here might be aligned with.
It's a respectable bike for those in the know. I was 30 when I got my first BMW, a used K100RT that I rode the hell out of all over Europe.

Zebra '03K1200RS

Retired Army '06
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
In the Shop :(

I've only been riding for 3 months now and first bought a "gently"-used 86 Virago 700. After 2 longish rides, my 6'1" body was screaming at me to get something a bit taller and more suited towards hitting 70 mph without shaking .
Thus, I purchased my first beemer just last week and have only taken it around the block on a test-ride. I pick up my 85 K100RT this weekend and look forward to telling all of you about it.
And why did I go for a BMW? Not just for comfort, reliability, and durability... My brother has one and I can't let him look better than I do!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Getting up to speed

I've ridden bikes since I was 18 years old--lots of off road bikes. Bought my first Beemer a year ago. It was a used 2003 F650GS with 573 miles on it. It now has 10,500 miles on it and loved it so much I bought a used 2002 K1200RS with 8,500 miles on it. The KRS now has about 14,000 on it and I can't stop riding either of these Beemers. I'll turn 60 in two weeks, but I'm cheating because I'm also retired and finally have some time to ride.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frano
I'll turn 60 in two weeks, but I'm cheating because I'm also retired and finally have some time to ride.
That's not cheating buddy; YOU EARNED IT.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity
Didn't ride 2 wheels until this January. Drove a 1998 R1100R for 3000 miles then upgraded to the GT. The local dealer in Baton Rouge indicates that I'm one of the youngest customers by 20 years and that BMW seems to draw the older crowd. They don't know why, that's just what they observe.

Gravity

That's because with age comes wisdom
Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip
That's because with age comes wisdom

I say it's because with age comes affluence.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfespinosa
I say it's because with age comes affluence.

Unfortunately, not always, my friend .
But yes, I fundamentally agree with you. Case in point: I had the wisdom to choose a Ferrari F430 as my next car, but that didn't put it in my garage.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Postmeister

Well, seeing that this is a motorcycle forum and all, bought my first BMW bike when I was 39. Bought my first BMW car when I was 35.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Tri-Polar

51......never had anything like my GT
1200 Suzuki GS Bandit
ST 1100 Honda
750 E Suzuki
3 1100 E's Suzuki
750 Triple Yamaha XS750E shaft
400 Kawasaki triple, 2 stroke (European model, 44hp, instead of 39)
Old 10-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Nice day for somethin'

FTW!!

I have a '50 Pan, which I have had since high school. Have had several motorcycles. My '89 FLHS was great. The "Black One," my beautiful '96 FLHT was a classic.

The GS is the GOOD MOTORCYCLE. That is it's name. GOOD MOTORCYCLE. It has earned that name.

Yeah, but my '98 K1200RS is... I am at a loss for words.

OXCART.

F**kin' Mach [classified], movin' at the speed of heat. Titanium and stainless. FTW

Seeya
ATB
Old 10-25-2006, 12:09 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

McFly, it was good to have you at the 1st AR, Hillbilly Roundup and your patch was a Big Hit.
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,052 Posts

Curt/McFly, it was amazing that you just started riding and decided to join this group of insane riders in Arkansas!! That takes what Pete has on the back of his bike... except without the dark plastic! Congratulations on some great riding.

OK, I'll play the game of "when did you get your first BMW"

Only rode backseat as a kid and in high school with my boyfriend on the trails in the hills of WV. Intro to riding on my own in '82 - just one afternoon in a parking lot. Never rode again till "recently".

Bought my 1st bike in April, 2004 - 2 1/2 years ago - a cute little Suzuki 250GZ (now reserved for my daughters)
2nd bike a month later - V*1100 (rode it only once after getting on a BMW!!)
3rd bike a year later - April 2005 - BMW F650GS
4th bike about 6 months later - Nov. 2005 - BMW R1150R
5th bike 7 months later - June 2006 - Triumph Daytona 675

OK... so... with this track record, perhaps my lust for the K1200R will someday be fulfilled??? Or maybe an S?

Oh.. forgot the age part... yeah... forgot about that.....
Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
McFly, it was good to have you at the 1st AR, Hillbilly Roundup and your patch was a Big Hit.

James,

I'm glad I joined you guys... I had a great time. I'm already thinking about the THCR!! Perhaps another patch is in order...

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
Curt/McFly, it was amazing that you just started riding and decided to join this group of insane riders in Arkansas!! That takes what Pete has on the back of his bike... except without the dark plastic! Congratulations on some great riding.

OK, I'll play the game of "when did you get your first BMW"

Only rode backseat as a kid and in high school with my boyfriend on the trails in the hills of WV. Intro to riding on my own in '82 - just one afternoon in a parking lot. Never rode again till "recently".

Bought my 1st bike in April, 2004 - 2 1/2 years ago - a cute little Suzuki 250GZ (now reserved for my daughters)
2nd bike a month later - V*1100 (rode it only once after getting on a BMW!!)
3rd bike a year later - April 2005 - BMW F650GS
4th bike about 6 months later - Nov. 2005 - BMW R1150R
5th bike 7 months later - June 2006 - Triumph Daytona 675

OK... so... with this track record, perhaps my lust for the K1200R will someday be fulfilled??? Or maybe an S?

Oh.. forgot the age part... yeah... forgot about that.....

Pat,

I appreciate the compliments... it was fun riding with everybody and there were certainly LOTS of good riders . By the time I get as good as all you guys, I'll be too old to ride!

- FZ

Arthur Schopenhauer

Old 11-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Twisted Wrister

BMW motorcycles attract owners for a variety of reasons.

Me? I enjoy the design (boxer in particular), the quality and the quiet.

I began motorcycling with a new Triumph TR6C back in 1960. I repaired many Brit bikes for friends; BSAs, Enfields, Nortons, AJSs, Matchless, Greeves and some other Euro bikes (yes, even a Zündapp). A friend had a BMW R50 that had a cylinder broken by hitting a curb while rounding a corner. He rode the R50 home (3-4 miles) with the cylinder hanging off and the exposed con rod and piston flailing away in the breeze. I bot the injured R50 for $50.00. The crankshaft-connecting rod assembly came out and I took it to the local BMW guy in Chicago, Mike Abt, and said, “I need a new one of these (complete crankshaft assembly with rods…this model used a pressed together crank with one piece rods, no removable big end caps). Mike said, “No, you may not need a new crank, we’ll press the crank apart and see if we can’t straighten the rod and reassemble it”. Well, I came back a few days later and picked up the crankshaft assembly with straightened rod. “That’ll be $50.00 please”, not a small sum in 1963 but still less than half the cost of a new piece.

I reassembled the little R50’s engine and rode that BMW for years (26 HP and about 90 MPH top speed downhill). That BMW was bulletproof…never failed to start on cold mornings (Chicago area winter temperatures of below freezing) and maintenance was duck soup simple and infrequent.

The little R50 had over 100,000 miles on it when it was sold to a new owner. Except for the new piston, rings on the right hand cylinder, the bike was completely OE….it never even burned out a light bulb.

Years later, I had a 1100CC Goldwing which was a fine motorcycle but, didn’t handle all that well.

In 2001, I acquired Bob, my BMW R1150GS and current ride.

The BMW engineering has advanced considerably since that little R50 but, the quality, design and other aspects of the BMW boxer are, well, too numerous to list. But, they strike a resonance with me. BMW’s metallurgy, fastener system, brakes, ECM, handling and quiet are to my liking. Plus, I like cylinders hanging out the side in the wind where I can see and hear them.

Power is not my first priority. Reliability, ease of maintenance, design and build quality are.

So, until BMW quits making boxers or their quality suffers dramatically (neither are likely to occur), it’ll be boxers for me.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Age and Beemers

Hi, I use to ride Harleys in Oakland with Pacho back in the late '60s. The governor of California sent me a letter saying that if I did not change my ways I was going to loose my license. So, I bought a new 750 beemer. Quiet, wonderful and I rode it faster than ever (stealth bike in Oakland those days). Bought an '84 CS and have had several more beemers since then. Getting ready to move from my K1200RS to an 07 K1200S. It is the people who ride the bikes, come to the rallys and hang with each other, that adds to the beemer feel. It is interesting the personalities of the different owner groups. I use to go along with the cost issues. But, there are plenty of good used bikes out there in beemer land. New Harleys are in the 20 to 30K range this year! (I do admit the Japanese bikes are seriously cheaper). But once you get bit by the beemer bug you are one sick puppy. Usually come down with multiple bike syndrome and too many tools issues. Just plane fun. Probably the flash of the other brands get lots of the young riders. And there is an issue with the rallys being populated with a lot of gray hair. I try my hardest to make the younger riders feel welcome. beech
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I am 37 and I bought my first BMW 2 weeks ago, a '02 RS, 12,000 miles, almost a virgin I guess.
I think is a sign of maturity, knowledge, appreciation for quality, class, identity.
I have been seriously riding for 6 years and I know now much more than when I started. My taste about motorcycles, riding, has changed, has grown. I have been lucky enough to have many "godfathers" around that have taught me not just to ride but to be a motorcyclist. When it comes to riding, to owning motorcycles, to being motorcyclists, you have to trust the ones with more miles on the sadle, these individuals coincidentally all ride BMW. End of the story.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 PM

Oh please ostion, do not start with the "maturity" line.
Some of us are really trying to avoid going there!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Old 11-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I bought my first one when I was 28.. a smoke 1976 R90S.. I should have kept that bike.. I could probably have retired by now with what I've spent on Beemers

Now I have probably the lowest milage 1998 K1200RS around
Old 11-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Plopped down $8,000 in Amsterdam in '81 but became deathly ill before the bike came in. Got my deposit back and came to the states.

Jump forward to August 2006 and my first Beemer--a K1200GT.

Yahoo!!!! What a ride.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Awaiting Email- ISP probably preventing.

IMHO, it's not age, it's mileage....

I've easily ridden well over 200K miles with about half of them on a BMW. Other rides include a Norton Atlas, several non-descript Yamahas, Honda CB550, Kawasaki Concours, ZX-6R, Z-750S, K12RS (RIP - rear ended by a cage), and now a MTS and a K12GT. An 800ST sure looks interesting this spring.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Red Herring

Well for me, I could no longer stay on my Duc (900ssie) for more than an hour so. Even though I've not been on a better handling motorcycle then most of the Ducati line, I went to the BMW. Though I must admit I'm thinking seriously of getting the new Duc 1098 (160HP @ 381lbs) but keeping the BMW.

07 Suzuki SV1000S

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 PM

he new Duc 1098 (160HP @ 381lbs)

now that is scarey, I've read about that monster..and thought woW.. I want one

scheesh I have a mind of a 28 year old and the body and reflexes of someone my age..

I just showed my wife this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbHBr...elated&search=

and she said yea, sure Honey that's what U need..

Can I accept that as an affirmative on her part:banana santa:
Old 12-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Htheater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscotd
he new Duc 1098 (160HP @ 381lbs)

now that is scarey

Yes it is! Almost the same HP/weight ratio as the MV Agusta Senna. They both are fast, light and sexy! Great for the twisties, but not for all day rides.

Of course, if you want some real HP/weight ratio, try the MV F4cc at 200HP and 413 lbs! It is only $120K so your wallet will be lighter too!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

IF you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htheater
Yes it is! Almost the same HP/weight ratio as the MV Agusta Senna. They both are fast, light and sexy! Great for the twisties, but not for all day rides.

Of course, if you want some real HP/weight ratio, try the MV F4cc at 200HP and 413 lbs! It is only $120K so your wallet will be lighter too!

$120,000 ???? OMG, well, one can dream, right?
Hey Santa... I've been good this year!!:banana santa: :banana santa: :banana santa:
Old 12-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
Hey Santa... I've been good this year!!:banana santa: :banana santa: :banana santa:

Not THAT good, from what I hear..........
Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Entering the on-ramp

First post...
Old 12-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Twisted Wrister

I ran a Yamaha FJ1200 for over ten years - brilliant bike. Made the mistake of going on a BMW open day and seeing a K1200RS, a model I wasn't even aware of given my disinterest in BMWs, and my dislike of twins. I rode the K12 and knew it was the bike for me, although I couldn't afford even a used one. Waited a few years for the price to slip (with the advent of the new Ks) and got a '97 Taxi for £3500 at the age of 49. I love riding this bike, am slightly paranoid about the costs involved when things go wrong in a big way, but wouldn't want anything else. The build quality is the best I've ever seen, and the K has a totally unique character. I intend to run it into the ground, rebuild it and do it all over again.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchoc
I ran a Yamaha FJ1200 for over ten years - brilliant bike. Made the mistake of going on a BMW open day and seeing a K1200RS, a model I wasn't even aware of given my disinterest in BMWs, and my dislike of twins. I rode the K12 and knew it was the bike for me, although I couldn't afford even a used one. Waited a few years for the price to slip (with the advent of the new Ks) and got a '97 Taxi for £3500 at the age of 49. I love riding this bike, am slightly paranoid about the costs involved when things go wrong in a big way, but wouldn't want anything else. The build quality is the best I've ever seen, and the K has a totally unique character. I intend to run it into the ground, rebuild it and do it all over again.

The FJ was a nice bike, had an 1100 myself for a while. I'd have been on a K12RS, except for a really bad experience with an R11GS (service and reliability issues). Really lusted after one for a while.

Ended up weighing up the running costs and purchase costs, got a test ride on a ZX12R ('02 model), and the rest is history. Absolutely rock solid reliability, reasonable service costs and a choice of service agents.
I'd like an R12RT or K12S/GT now, but the history of my GS and dealer / service cost issues keeps coming up. And of course, bikes like the ZX14 and upcoming Concours keep raising the price/performance ratios significantly.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
Not THAT good, from what I hear..........

Hey now... You talking bout the bike or ME???:banana santa:
Old 12-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Getting up to speed

First bike, 94'K75 at 23. Still shoping for my dream GT at 25. Why Bmw? The class, style, history, dependability, and being part of the higher level community that beemers attract. Also access to the infinite experience and wisdom from sites like this is priceless. I just dont see other riders this much in love with their company of choice.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Getting up to speed

Thumbs up Re: Age and Beemers

New to the site and club. Just finding out how to post and, thus far, replying to a post seemed to be easy...so here we go. I have seen and loved BMWs since the late 1960s / early 70s. A friend of mine had one of those upright single cylinder jobs, (a R26 perhaps ... not sure of the designation) and she loved it! My first Beemer was a 1985 K100 "Standard", or "Naked Bike" as they call them today, and loved it. Just recently found another K100 to restore. God....that thing runs great! Little character .... but runs great! My first BMW....I was 38 years old at the time!
Regards and safe riding to all!
Lazydays1953 (Eric)
Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelback
I told everyone when I got to be an old guy I was going to buy a BMW.
Here I am...
Same here
Return toTrenton rally next year .
Lost children will be sold to MOA staff and trained to ride Harley's
Old 01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

bought a beat up 72 /5 for 1000 bucks off some guy who rode hondas and treated the /5 like a bastard step child, i was 20. and sold her at 29 just a few months ago for 3500 untold hours of fun on that machine... i miss her. but the kr is unstopable!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:36 PM

i'll be 59 in March.. wish it would stop raining.. in another day and time I rode with icesickles hanging off m elbows.. guess I've gotten soft,, HuH?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:12 PM
all right,then,i'll go to hell

age indeed may be a factor

i was really hot for the 90 100 of the 70's
approx 30 yrs ago

then i raced & loved sport bikes & kneedraggin
then i evolved

to sport touring
which i define as riding my bike to kneedragger road
which can be several hundred miles

draggin my knee/gettin my grin on

then ridin home

my k12rs allows me to do both
& enjoy both at a hi level

i dont think age is a clear indicator.... nor $$$$$$
i have more $$$$ in sport bikes
individually & collectively

an overview of the bikes a biker had b4 his 1st bmw
even the ones still parked &(hopefully) ridden
would be more insightful
Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

52.........k1200rs........'02
Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Getting up to speed

In Rep. of South Africa 80% of the roads are gravel... so if you can afford only one bike, then the GS1200R or Adventure is the answer..
Fortunately I can afford both a road bike and the GS..
Began with BMW at age 48 because I was tired of being a member of the chain gang.. adjusting, grease and oil, noise... nothing beats a shaft and BM has had shafts forever...
GS1200R
GT1200 '03
GT1200 '06