I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: What was your age when you bought your first Beemer
Poll Options
What was your age when you bought your first Beemer

Old 02-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: Age and Beemers

54 yoa now. Bought first BMW bike at 50. Now have three.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Entering the on-ramp

It's funny, even when I had quite a bit of cash sitting there, I still didn't buy a Beemer. Not because I didn't like them (I LOVED them!), but because I wanted something to aspire to at some point. I didn't want my first bike to be a BMW. Instead I went with the Kawasaki KLR650, and that took me across the country and back on my first big trip, and when I moved to a Triumph Tiger, I felt the difference in a big way.

I have a feeling when I take another jump...to a BMW, most likely 1200GS, I'll feel that difference again. For me, it's all about keeping that carrot in front of me, but I want mine before I'm ready to 'retire!'

Dug Shelby
www.great-escape-tours.com
Old 04-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Site Contributor

I seriously started looking at a motorcycle again at age 41, after a 23 year absence.
Used to ride a Honda CB400 twin.
I have never been nor will be a harley fan, AMF killed them.
I started looking at the Honda ST1300, and the Yamaha FJR, somehow I came across the BMW K's.
I figgered the GT or the RS.
Found the right deal, and even my wife agreed, sorta.
I've now got my mid life crisis fix, married 18 yrs, together 22, life is great.
This website is a good place as well, the BMW fit my age and needs, gotta love those European bikes!

Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians!

'14 K1300S Anniversary Edition
'04 K1200RS
Nicest BMW's on the block

'14 Honda XR650L
Old 04-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Bought my first RS when I was 23. Dealer thought I was the youngest to buy one, till a week later a friend of mine (who was 20) rode mine and had to have one, so he officially took the title. In the next week my roommate bought an F650, followed by another friend of mine to pick up yet another RS.

The dealer loved it, I don't think they get many 20-something biker gangs on BMWs rolling through...
Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Getting up to speed

I bought my first BMW when I was 16 - a 1980 R65. That was 22 years and 4 bikes ago. My first ride on a beemer was 10 years earlier on the gas tank of Dad's 1971 R75 - those metal sparkplug wire caps made great footrests...
Old 04-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Although I had some experience riding mini-bikes & dirt bikes, I didn't own a motorcycle until my early thirties, when I randomly bought 2 Nortons. Great bikes, but there were some drawbacks... It was a trip from Dallas to Austin, accompanied by friends on K75's, that pointed me in the right direction
That's how I wound up with my slightly used K12 right about the time I turned 40.
Life's good!

Scott
'05 Ducati Monster 620
'63 Vespa 160GS
Old 05-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

I'm just about to change bikes. Decided I'm just too old to be carving the corners and running far past the ton. Almost time for the rocking chair and knitting, but I'll try this on first:
It will match my helmet and red flipflops.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Getting up to speed

Got my first bike at 15 in 1970, Honda Trail 70 and still have it. They have always been Hondas but I don't really know why. Probably cost and they met my needs. The last one was a 2000 CBR929, what a blast, funnest bike to ride I have ever been on, but it also got to be the most painful. 400 miles and I was ready for the couch for two days. Selling it was difficult, but two days later I bought my K12RS. What a difference. It took some getting used to but now I am so glad I made the switch, especially after riding it to Laguna Seca and back last summer. I never could have done it on the CBR. I am a Beemer guy for life now. Just wish I could lighten it up by about 100 lbs.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
....when your young you want a bike and don't care weather it'll be running 4 years later or not. with my beemer i know i can keep it for a lot of years and put a lot of miles on it which makes it a lot easier to spend the dollars for the beemer over a jap bike that cost 7 grand less.

I think the keys to your comment there is "young" and "don't care". If you're young and don't care then no bike will be running in 4 years.

When was the last time you owned a jap bike and performed maintenance on it regularly as you have done for your bmw? Is it still running?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
The Honda 305 Scrambler was not very reliable...fix all week to ride till it broke on the weekend.

Been on BWM's ever since.

Are you sure you're not confusing that with a Harley or Montgomery Ward?

305 Scrambler...hmm...Honda came out with those quite a while ago. Tried a Honda recently? I hear they're making them pretty darn good now!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Entering the on-ramp

25 for my first bmw. 02 R1150GS. We'll see how I like it. I've heard I'll fall in love with it but I fear I may not. I'm still awfully young and they tranny does shift like a truck. Maybe a K12 would suit me better.

I own an '03 YZF600R, tool. I have ridden a K12something a few years back on a Demo before I purchased the YZF. Maybe I should say away from K12 for a while else I may sell my dream bike. Eh, probably not.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:00 AM
Getting up to speed

I find the whole Jap bike Vs BMW thing to be a little ignorant and frankly bores me. Reliability and longevity were not the reasons I bought my Beemer! I believe the Japanese stuff to be as reliable and also as capable of doing just as many miles with correct maintanance. I have had several japanese sports bikes which have done in excess of 100,000 miles without needing internal work.

I purchased my R1100RS 2nd hand as a first try at a BMW at age 40. I bought it for it's shaft drive, Panniers, top box, protective fairing and comfortable ride position. At time of purchase I would have bought the first shaft driven touring bike I could find at the correct price, I wasn't brand specific. However, I am glad I bought the RS, it is the most comfortable and relaxing mount I have ever owned. Sure, it's no ZX9R in the hills, but then again, the ZX9 is no R1100RS interstating it!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Entering the on-ramp

The really sad thing is, I bump up an entire age category in September, & I'll be lumped in with a bunch of 55 year olds...
'05 Ducati Monster 620
'63 Vespa 160GS
Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Same here....I rode on the tank (and then the back) of my dad's '69... what a bike! Dad's still got it and my heart is truly with that bike, but in the meantime I just bought my first bike (and BMW) all in one...an F650GS. I'm 31 and knew I would ride a Beemer eventually, if not at first.

I love my little '03 beastie and I doubt I'll ever sell it. This is my first post here, btw, but I've been reading and I love this community of people.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: Age and Beemers

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch
My first ride on a beemer was 10 years earlier on the gas tank of Dad's 1971 R75 - those metal sparkplug wire caps made great footrests...

My first ride on a BMW was also on the tank of my Dad's '69. What a bike!! Dad's still got it and my heart is with that ol' fraulein, but until I can wrestle that from him, I bought myself a used '03 F650GS and she's a sweet ride as well.

This is my first post, but I've been reading for a bit and I love this community of people!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
ŘZNAM
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasMav
This is my first post, but I've been reading for a bit and I love this community of people!
Well then... welcome to i-bmw Nicholas. You have good taste!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I am relatively new to riding. Been on a Honda 1100 Shadow for a couple of years. Started riding with a new group of guys who had BMW's. I think they set me up. They said lets go to Baton Rouge, the BMW dealer lets you test ride any bike you want to try. Well I tried a 2004 K12RS. Need I say more. I am 62 and I don't like to waste $$$$$$$. The BMW is a real buy. I picked it up for 10,500. I know young people who put themselves into debt to own a Harley. They are nice to look at maybe. But I guess it really depends on when you get a chance to ride a BMW. At least that was my experience. After the test ride everything else was "well" everything else.
Drj
Old 05-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smetcalfe
The really sad thing is, I bump up an entire age category in September, & I'll be lumped in with a bunch of 55 year olds...

And do you think you'll be able to keep up?? Bwwaa-haaaaaaaaaaaa-haaa!!

Beware the silver fox stealth riders my friend

Ian Thomas
Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Twisted Wrister

I didn't start on 2 wheels til 05. I had an 05 GSXR 1000. Later that year I saw the K1200S, fell in love with it! Sold the GSXR and bought the K12S in 06 and
Old 05-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Heck, I'm going the other way... I bought my first BMW (K100RS) in my early 30s. Bought my second in my mid-40s (R11GS).

Since then, I've discovered that my 50-something body can still deal with sporty ergos, so bang-for-the-buck had me doing a 4000 mile trip to Newfoundland on my ZX12R last September.

Maybe I'm getting more frugal in my old age, but when I rode the K12S back to back with the ZX12R 2 years ago, I just didn't get the value quotient of paying in $12K on top of the quoted trade price for my well-sorted and relatively low mileage 12R, all to get shaft drive, hard luggage and slightly better ergos / protection, while sacrificing outright performance, reliability (neither of my modern BMWs has approached my Jap cycles for reliability) and wide-spread dealer network.

When I looked at the bang for the buck thing, for the price of a well-kitted 12S or GT I can walk out with a ZX14 and something like my Husky TE610 for the same price. Practical, performance and go-anywhere Euro credentials combined...

When I looked at my bike usage, I came to the realization that I'm not badge conscious, and am a bit of a bike whore... So I'm much happier having a VFR800 for practical touring / commuting / backroad sporting, the 12R for balls-out power and touring, the Husky for lower speed and dirt/logging road fun. I was even happy havingthe old Concours sitting around waiting for rainy days and two-up work before I smashed it.
All for not much more than the cost of a kitted Goldwang, K12GT or HD.

Of course, the whole cruiser / HD thing has me totally stymied, as to how any rational motorcyclist on a fixed income can cost-justify paying way more money for way less power and handling.
When I rented the HD Glide Classic for a tour through the Sierras a few years back, I came away feeling that it was worth about the same to me (maybe a bit less than) a new Concours. A bit more Merkun character, a lot less power, handling, brakes (yikes!) and protection.

If I read into the various reasons for buying a current K-series, I get:
  • Hard luggage: As I'm not doing much two-up riding, I actually prefer the Ventura rack system to hard bags for more aggressive sport touring, as it is totally stable at over 150mph (in the rain and / or corners), and doesn't affect handling, fuel mileage and performance nearly as much as most hard bags do.
  • Comfort: Things like heated grips / gloves, heated seats, electric clothing outlets, upgraded screens and suspension / brakes can be had as cheaply and as functional (sometimes more so) on the aftermarket as from the OEM. The heated grips (Hotgrips) on my Connie worked much better than the OEMs on my R11GS. Much wider / finer range of adjustment with the electronic controller, and much warmer. As for protection / comfort, I'm not a whole lot less comfortable on the 12R or VFR than on the K12S (Helibars and MRA Touring Multivario screen). And the old Concours with screen, bar and seat mods blows away most modern ST bikes for protection, apart from the R12RT.
  • Performance: the VFR lacks a bit of performance against the K12S, but on a tight and twisty road is much more competitive. The 12R (and ZX14) is noticeably more powerful. When suspension replacement time comes around, sticking Ohlins rear and revalved/sprung front-end into the 12R pays huge benefits, at equivalent or cheaper cost to replacing suspension on the 12S.
  • Reliability and dealer support. My nearest BMW dealer is 1.75 hours away. The nearest Kaw dealer is 20 minutes. In 20K miles on the 12R, and 12K on the VFR, I've had zero faults, other than a factory fix on the alternator wire sealing on the 12R, done at the first service. In almost 100K miles on Concours, I've had one manufacturer fault that stopped the bike on a trip, and that was fixed the same day by the dealer (water pump replacement. That's about the same as my K100RS, and way, way better than my R11GS (12 weeks in the service bay over a 3 year period waiting for warranty work).
  • BMW NA service / warranty: I had multiple warranty items refused on both my R11GS and F650. Kaw even paid for the tow and repair when my used Connie stopped in town (turned out to be owner-inflicted wiring mods...), When the inner fairing tabs on my 12R broke (as a result of many miles of bad dirt road, including Sandwich Notch and Hazen's Notch in NH / VT for those who know them), Kaw paid for replacements, no questions asked. That is after admitting to the service manager that it was probably my fault.
  • Longevity: I know multiple Connie owners who have in excess of 200K miles on their bikes. Some have a lot more. I have no reason to doubt that both my 12R and VFR will easily exceed 100K miles. So pretty much a wash here.
  • Shaft: my experience of shaft drive on my Guzzi (failed in 4K miles) and what I see on the various BMW chat fora doesn't give me the feeling of ultra-reliability. So far, I've got over 20K miles on the chain of my 12R. That is with ultimate abuse, only adjusting at service intervals or tire replacement (about every 4K miles), cleaning about every 2K miles (vary basic), and the odd sprits with ACF50 every 1 to 2 K. And it is still within service specs.
When I bought the 12R in '02, I was really lusting after a K12RS, but given the sh!tty service experience BMW NA and 4 out of 5 dealers had given me, I just couldn't justify going that route, so started to look around.
The Aprilia Futura really had me going for a while, but the whole service / parts thing was a big negative: I just want to ride.
One test ride on the 12R had the adrenalin going and the 11GS feeling like a vibrating, underpowered truck. It was sold the same week at a fire sale price to fund the 12R.

The 12R was going to be my last gasp sport-bike before impending middle age gloom forced me back to something more 'sensible', like an R-RT or K12. The way it is going now, reliatility, good service, reasonable comfort, and the sheer grin-factor and power-performance-price ratio has moved BMW (or whatever) ownership much further into the future.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Site Contributor

I think BMW riders are older for the same reason Corvette drivers are older: they get to the point where they tried all the other $hit, and now they can afford the real thing....
It's NOT a mid life thing.

Previous bikes

2011 FZ1
2010 K1300S
2006 K1200S
2004 HD Dyna Sport
many others dating back to 1970
Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Red Herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorhd
I think BMW riders are older for the same reason Corvette drivers are older: they get to the point where they tried all the other $hit, and now they can afford the real thing....
It's NOT a mid life thing.
Jees, I don't know, I had a vette when I was 30 and I'd never buy another one.
Only got about 10MPG so I couldn't afford to run one now anyway.
The BMW, well I got a good deal, I've been waiting for the new Kaw Concours and will probably switch when they work out the kinks. Would've been a new K1200GT but I don't care for the new style.

07 Suzuki SV1000S

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegtheprez
Jees, I don't know, I had a vette when I was 30 and I'd never buy another one.
Only got about 10MPG so I couldn't afford to run one now anyway.
The BMW, well I got a good deal, I've been waiting for the new Kaw Concours and will probably switch when they work out the kinks. Would've been a new K1200GT but I don't care for the new style.

Point taken. My '04 averages 24mpg, and my old '88 was around 20. Yes the old ones were gas hogs. But I digress. My statement regarding age was from the years I hung out on a couple of Corvette sites and that was the general consensus among them. Like anything else, everyone is looking for something different.
That's all.

Previous bikes

2011 FZ1
2010 K1300S
2006 K1200S
2004 HD Dyna Sport
many others dating back to 1970
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Shooting the gap

I'm a 're-entry rider" who bought a new 2001 Triumph Bonneville at age 42. I was 48 when I bought my first BMW, a 1999 K12RS used, because I simply could not pass the deal up on a 10,000 mile "garage queen". I was about to pop for a new Ducati ST3 when I found the K12RS on craigslist for $6500. I wasn't even considering a new BMW cycle, because I could not afford a new BMW and keep the peace at my house at the same time. My 2006 VW Jetta GLI didin't cost much more than a new K12GT does. I must be swimming in the shallow end of the BMW motorcycle gene pool. I love my old "flying brick", though. Try as I might, I simply cannot justify $22,000+ for a new BMW K12GT.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My first bike was a Honda 55cc Cub Trail bike that I bought my second year of college in 1964. One of the upperclassmen had a BMW R 26 "Swiss edition" (grey/blue with white pinstrips and chrome tank, 15 hp) that I was able to buy in 1965 for $400. I rode that for six years before moving from Pittsburgh to Portland, OR for graduate school. I didn't ride for two years, but I bought a Honda CL 350 scrambler in 1971 while stationed on Okinawa. This bike was stolen a month after I bought it, and was replaced by a CB 350 that I rode for three years over there. My son was born in 1974 after I was reassigned to Germany, and my wife encouraged me to give up riding 'cause she didn't want to raise him alone. When I turned 50, I decided it was time to start riding again. I fell in love with a red K 75 S, but ended up with a red K 75 standard instead. I rode that for two years before buying a K 75 S with a K 100 fairing from one of the club members (the bike is currently for sale on the IBMW website). This past August I bought a K 1200 RS from another club member (also for sale), but have replaced that with a 2003 K 1200GT I found in Richmond VA. I think the BMW K bikes are the smoothest bikes around, and they last forever. Pricey yes, but over their expected lifetime they're still a pretty good deal. I hope to keep riding 'till I can't stand up.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
I wasn't attracted to BMW's, until the K1200S came along...the other beamers just lacked the performance of their counterparts until recently. I always thought the beamers were for old men. Oops, guess I fall into that category now.
Which would you rather do:
a) Grow old.
b) Die young.
c) There aint no "c".
Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Obviously, I'd like to grow old and still act young, that's one reason I ride. BTW, I forgot to mention that I was 18 when I bought the R 26 (the reason for this thread). I'm only 62 now, so I think I still have a few good years left.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Shooting the gap

Weird. It says that I already voted, but I have no memory of doing so, and I don't see a posting of mine to this thread.

I suspect that young people don't buy BMWs in large part because they're expensive.

'06 F650GS (RIP); '94 R1100RS (someone else enjoys it now)

BMWMOA Life Member; MSF-certified RiderCoach; etc.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Entering the on-ramp

If you buy them new, the're expensive. I've never bought a new bike except for the two Hondas in the '70s. The nice thing about beemers is that they last forever, hence, you can buy a used bike at a good price and still not get burned.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewdmd
If you buy them new, the're expensive. I've never bought a new bike except for the two Hondas in the '70s. The nice thing about beemers is that they last forever, hence, you can buy a used bike at a good price and still not get burned.

As a rule, used BMWs are more expensive than used Japanese bikes.

I'm certainly not arguing against buying BMWs. I'm just observing what I suspect is a major reason why many young people don't buy them.

'06 F650GS (RIP); '94 R1100RS (someone else enjoys it now)

BMWMOA Life Member; MSF-certified RiderCoach; etc.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 PM

I had a '91 Honda CBR1000F and it really was a great bike but had a few miles/years on it. Couldn't really afford a BMW which was what I really wanted so I bought a new Buell Lightning. A beautiful bike but it didn't quite run right and they couldn't fix it. I owned it for 4 months and the Harley shop gave me my money back. At that time, the BMW I wanted was financing at 3.9% so I bought my emerald green R1100RT(I was 39). It was really a good friend but after 115k miles I got the itch for something more my style, hence the mighty K12RS. There are alot of great bikes out there, but I don't think I could go back to Japan!
'04 BMW K1200RS....R.I.P.
'99 BMW R1100RT
'99 Buell Thunderbolt
'91 Honda CBR1000F
'85 Honda V65 Magna
'81 Honda CB650SC
'76 Honda MT 250
Old 06-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My first bike was a Norton Commando (Interstate).....loved that seven gallon tank.

The first BMW in my life was about three years later when I was about twenty-three....an R60/2 (1967) with an S-250 Steib Sidecar (1951)....The women didn't like riding in the hack, but my buddies got a kick out of it. A lot of fun....young men should never have the authority to sell anything they own, young and dumb.

I traded that setup for a brand new R80/7 in 1977.....

Long gap with family and kids...somewhere along the line the R80 was sold and after the kids were older I got a K100RS (1985).....I remember when I first saw a K bike....they sounded like some kind of a damned jet taking off....

The K1200GT (2004) as new came next.....later the wife got a K1200RS (1999) and a new RT....I also have an R75/6 out of nostalgia......however, I'm thinking of going back to the airheads for that simpler life......maybe back to the /2 with the sidecar to tote the grandkids....life gone full circle, eh?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 PM

I could have used those two extra gallons, time and time again!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Getting up to speed

Hey All,

My first bike was a little Honda 50. Dang i thot it was the dopest ride around, tho i would have killed for a 305 Scambler. Sounded like they were going 120 MPH!
In my early 20's i got a Bultaco Matador. Just about rattled itself to pieces. Then it did go to pieces when it fell off the truck rack of my Pinto. Was i cool? You bet it was.
Didn't get a "real" street ride until my mid 40's and hooked up with a Honda 650. But last year i saw her, The Black Pearl. Honeymoon is still going strong. Totally looking forward to Gillette next month, too!!

2002 KRS-The Black Pearl
Old 08-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Getting up to speed

I can't understand why I haven't owned one before last week.

Always thought Bimmers were for old Blokes....blimey, maybe that's me!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Yahoo to dbarnes180

Test rode three sport / touring bikes.....Honda, Yamaha and BMW K12RS. The K12RS was the only one I could put both feet down on the pavement. That sold me.
5'8", 140 lbs. Soon to be 56 yrs old. Average 1000 miles a month riding nowhere...lol.
I ride year round daily. Wet or dry.

One shallow ole man who found a gem by accident or being short. I love the K12RS.

K12RS 2004 17K miles bought it last of April 08. Only had 10K and one previous owner.
Now it is mine!!!!

take
care
a
friend
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Yeah, I find being able to put two feet down is really a help, especially in a city like Boston, where the streets were last paved around the time of WW1. It's also good to have a biike big enough you can power it out of potholes the size of a small sedan.

I'm 5'8" with a short inseam myself. I like how the bike handles under power, as well. I rode a friend's R65 recently – my first motorcycle, btw – and I couldn't believe how spoiled I've gotten over the years.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
i drive f*#@in fast so keep up

first bike 1978 yamaha xs750 (not the special)
second bike 1987 Kawasaki Concours
Lastly, 2000 K1200RS

I'm 28 and really couldn't afford the bike, bought it used, but had busted my tail saving some money, bike was twice what I was looking to spend but knew that i'd be kickin myself for the rest of my life if I didn't make it happen, took a loan and the rest is history. I freakin love this bike, riding it is like a dream, really, the connie was good for what I needed it for, I never doubted it's reliability, I regularly rode 400-800 mile days but technology had changed a lot in the 13 years and the speed triple was tons and tons of fun when you're in you early 20's but I don't think I take an 800 mile day on that thing.

At any rate, age and beemers, I think the issue is cost, I have always loved the bikes just couldn't afford one (still can't honestly).

my $0.02
Old 09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
.......and?

after 20 years of riding on two wheels I bought my first BMW. I had bought and sold many bikes in the past, more ofter in the last four years since the births of my daughters. I went two years with out a bike and had had enough. Money was tight so I saved for a while and bought a K12R used for cash at 28 years old. The best money I've ever spent on a bike and now I can't imagine buying another make again. I think the stigma of BMW and high price are a crock! With the money I spent i couldn't have bought a new 'Busa. I think that BMW has been pigeonholed into a rich/old/touring mans bike when it is a legitimate performance machine.

2006 K1200R

'Who i$ John Galt?'

"The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being." — Tom Robbins
Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 PM

I may be old. But, I look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006 Blue/White K12S

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Idling

I got my first beemer in 1985 (a 1978 r100/7) and the KGT 2008 at 50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phptp inetrnet.jpg (11.6 KB, 336 views)
Old 09-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: Age and Beemers

I bought my first bike at 14 - a DOT 197 scrambler, this was followed by a Royal Enfield 350, a Grieves Special and then a Bianchi. There followed an interlude until emigrating to Australia (from the UK, obviously!) when I bought a Honda 250 from my soon to be brother-in-law. Great for commuting and my future wife got around on a Honda 50. The children followed (what a common story) and in 1998 bought a Triumph Sprint (again from my brother-in-law) and then in 2005 by a K1200GT. The Beemer has lived up to every expectation, so no looking back!
Martin
Brisbane Australia
Old 10-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I am Classic's Mom.
Just an update for all on the i-BMW boards.
Classic, aka Isaac Klosterman, was killed in FL as a result of a hit and run by a pick up truck driver on May 16, 2008.
You can view details on the ADVrider.com site, where we have been doing most of our posting lately. Just search Classic or Classic's Mom there. Photos included of Isaac and his family....on some posts too.
Sorry to inform folks here this late but just found the password to post.
Thanks for reading.
No arrests yet in the "accident" ....prayers will be appreciated. This is the hardest thing a mom can face.
Thanks
Lillian Klosterman
Old 10-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Dear Lilian
I'm sure I speak for everyone on this website when I express our sorrow at your news despite it being some time past. Every life is precious and bikers especially.
Every best wish
Martin
K1200GT
Brisbane Australia
Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi Lilian,

I am so sorry to hear about this horrible accident. Our prayers are with you and your family. You soon will be missed.

<><

2002 KRS-The Black Pearl
Old 10-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Htheater

Lilian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to find us and let us know about the unfortunate news. Our hearts and prayers are with you and your family.

Please do keep us updated when they find and arrest the perp....I know it doesn't bring your son back, but paying for their crime does help with the closure.

FYI, we really didn't have much of an opportunity to get to know your son as he spent most of his time on ADVRIDER and the YZF600R.com forum so he only posted a few times here. He found us when he was trying to help a friend get the word out about a stolen '66 GTO from the OSU campus. We never heard if they caught the thief on that one either.

Take care!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

IF you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Rookie

K 1200 RS 2002, goes good with my 42 years...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'SledgeHammer' for this post:
Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

It was January of 1986 when I went in to get my new GSXR 1100.......I saw a Lava Red K100RS in the corner and road off on it just a few hours later to go put over 250,000 miles on it during the next 15 years......loved that bike....sold it to my old room mate after I got married ........he still has it and I have first dibs if he sells it.

Hoping to get a new K1300S in the spring
Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s

Why do you think most Beemer riders are middle age or older when most Japanese motorcycle riders are younger and Harleys seem to bridge the gap with both young and old riders.

What is it about the BMW product or marketing that got you to buy your first Beemer?

1) BMW are too slow to hurt you

2) HD riders get to play dressup. You know how kids like to play dressup

3) I hate chains. BMW doesn't have a chain
Old 11-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue

I have three bikes with chain, dislike them too. Pain in the neck. (although I do own two belt drive Harleys, but I don't dress up!)
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I was 21 years of age when I wrecked my Laverda 750SF in 1983 and for some reason I bought myself a BMW R60/6 by a local dealer. Now several Years and BMW's later I'm happy with my K1200RS-XL. (ps. I never sold my first Beemer)

My rides:
BMW R60/6, 1975 black, BMW K75S, 1991 Blue (Sold), BMW K1100RS, 1993. Mistic red, BMW K1200RS/GT 2004 White.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:

Well, I can think of F650s (twins and singles) and GS800s. I think the F650 folks even call themselvs the Chaingang.

I've had good and bad luck with shafts. I've had relatively good luck with chains.

So far, I've spent way more on fixing shaft drives than I have in replacing and maintaining chains, with about equal miles on both drive systems (5 shafties, 6 chain drives).

I'd probably still own a BMW, probably an R12RT or K12GT, if the bikes were made by a Japanese company.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Shooting the gap

Send a message via MSN to BryanHerron

How about a Sex and Beemers poll? Or maybe a poll about what questions to ask on a "sex and Beemers" poll? hehe
Year round, if I survive.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Htheater

Quote:

WTF?

Too slow to hurt you? You can get hurt on a Moped or bicycle so that is not an intelligent comment.

But, even if you meant too slow compared to the Jap bikes....THAT would also be an uninformed comment! The K series keeps pace or outruns much of its Jap competition and does this with many more "creature comforts".

BTW, I LIKE people thinking that the BMWs are slow....I just wish I had a rear facing camera to capture the look on their face when they get passed! Comments at rest stops and/or restaurants usually involve "I didn't know BMWs were that fast" and/or "I expected to see a younger person riding like that". The age thing helps out a lot when we get pulled over!

You see, not only are the bikes "sleepers", so are many of the riders....and, we all know that the rider makes a HUGE difference. I bow to the talents of many of our members as I have seen them lay waste to lesser riders on Gixxers, R1s, etc. many, many times!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

IF you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Htheater' for this post:
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via AIM to Isaac Niederman

I bought my first motorcycle when i was 38. After one year on a Suzuki and another one on a Triumph - BMW was the only choice, especially when the GT came in red on 2004. Even though there are so many new BMWs, i still did not find a model that will cause my to trade mine.

04 Red K1200GT
Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,029 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htheater
The age thing helps out a lot when we get pulled over!

I'd like to know your secret Randy, 'cause the age thing has sure as f#*k never helped me... maybe the worn down knee sliders are a problem!!
Old 12-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:

Let's see...fall off at 160+mph and not get hurt. I'd like to see that. On second thought...no I wouldn't!

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM
K-ruising the Hudson Valley

First bmw at 47. KRS because it is all I wanted in my 20's in the disguise of respectability.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:

I'll echo Randy.. WTF?

Must be a damned big rock you've been living under.. or.. maybe I'm just delusional about the metal loop thingy that goes around in circles on my 650GS.

Oh.. and.. I KNOW I must have been asleep when I hit 160 mph in only 5th gear on the KS. A dream.. just a dream... (which I'll gladly experience again and again.... )

Many BMW riders get to play dress up too! Occassionally, I hear some of the fringed cruiser/do-rag wearing set "discussing" the racing quality leathers that many BMW riders choose to wear.. as if WE'RE overdressed!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 AM
NC Piedmont rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscotd

Now I have probably the lowest milage 1998 K1200RS around

Too bad... I am sure your friends who ride would understand and help you fix that low mileage thing.
76 Pillion ver 1.0
Live Life Richly