I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: What was your age when you bought your first Beemer
Poll Options
What was your age when you bought your first Beemer

Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: Age and Beemers

I am almost sorry that I stumbled across this thread. I've been riding Harleys since 1997, but had a desire to try something different. So, earlier this month I purchased a 2007 K1200GT, and rode it to Indiana and back (two 800+ mile days of actual riding). I have some comfort issues with the bike, but a new w/s, lower pegs, and a new seat ought to do it. Oh, back to the subject, I'll be 68 in July.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I have to admit, I've enjoyed reading these posts from first to last. So I'll throw in my 2 cents worth....I'm 60 years young, been riding now for 3 years when I first retired and redirected my professional priorities, and started on a Suzie -800, moved down to a Honda 750 Shadow, moved back up to a 900 Kaw, and now my first BMW K1200RS..... I had planned on an R bike, but came across a good deal (at least to my thinking) on a 2001 with only 20,000 miles. I've had it about a month now and made one 1400 mile trip from St. Louie to West Virginie on her, and plan for a longer trip out to the Pacific Coast in August, if she turns out to be as sound as everyone says BMW's are supposed to be...... I have a peg lowering kit ordered for delivery on Monday, but other than trying to relax my knees a bit, I find that I can't wait for the sun to come up ever morning so I can make my 10 mile ride to (5 each way) to the Micky-D's coffee klatch gathering....
I hope to see some of the folks on this forum at the Sedalia fair coming up next month....
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Thumbs up Re: Age and Beemers

Try AHR : http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=39621
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Arkansas Hillbilly

Just recently purchased a very nice 1998 BMW K1200RS after selling my 2008 HD Nightster. I have always loved the look of the BMW and finally had an opportunity to own one.

Yesterday my father and I began working on my Grandfathers 78 BMW.........here is a pic

Here is my bike.........

Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfespinosa
I say it's because with age comes affluence.
Funny ... I always thought that with age comes flatulence!

I think the reason is as most have said, economics. Generally speaking most people get wealthier as they get older, so they have more money for the expensive things in life. In addition though, I think age also bears on the fact that reliability and comfort are more important as we age.

One of the reasons I went with a BMW (I started with Honda and Yamaha) is because for the last few years I've owned a BMW car (530i) and I know first hand that with BMW you get comfort, reliability and performance.

The other reason, is now that I'm 58 I really only had 2 choices ... buy a BMW and reverse the aging process, or get fat, grow a beard and buy a Harley!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Just a different perspective from an ex-BMW owner, about the same age as the poster, who sometimes gets tempted by all the bling / lifestyle ads to get another.

If you really want to reverse the aging process, a BMW is not nearly as effective as (for example) going for early retirement and moving to SE Asia. My mornings usually start with a walk or jog along the beach or in the mountains followed by breakfast (most of our meals include a lot of fresh fruit and other foods), and then on most days I take a swim in the sea to relax and get some additional exercise.
I have a beautiful girlfriend who is almost 30 years my junior, and who takes far better care of me in all ways (I will leave that to your collective imaginations ) than any of my western SOs ever did, and I have far more time to enjoy her than I did when I was working a regular job.
I get to ride my bike just about every day of my life on tight and twisty roads, in stunning tropical scenery, and am far more relaxed than I ever was. Not nearly as stressed, and have dropped 25 lb without even trying, compared to the days when I was part of the corporate business travel grind.
We get to go traveling (usually by bike, sometimes we fly somewhere) every month to different islands or cities or provinces, something that we both enjoy.
I have a small business that gets me out of the house and traveling to different cities a few days a week, that I would never have dreamed of operating in the US. Totally different, and thus adds a fair bit of challenge. Because I am my own boss, I don't have the stress from corporate politics that US business seems to involve.

I realize for most (including myself) a total change in lifestyle is not easy to achieve, as it is not easy to walk away from the big car / house / bike / possessions / fancy job title, or to leave family behind, so we tend to try to compensate with more toys / leisure activities, like BMWs...
I did that for decades before finally deciding what the heck and going for a total life change.

So back to the mundane... : From my own experience and several motor industry surveys, reliability is not a reason to buy BMW. All my Jap bikes have been far more trouble free than my R11GS was, and all apart from one (a 10 year old Concours) have been more reliable than my other BMWs (both bought new).
My BMW cars gave me a bunch more problems than my Jap vehicles, although that was back in the 90s before I swore off them forever.
And just about all the consumer surveys put BMW cars well behind most of the Jap brands or even Hyundai and Ford for reliability.

Several years ago, MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) collated the faults reported to DOT and as you'd expect, Honda led the pack in reliability, closely followed by Yamaha, with Suzuki and Kawasaki not too far behind.
What was kind of shocking to me as a BMW owner (maybe not given my experiences) was that even Aprilia was substantially ahead of BMW at the time.
At least BMW did better than Ducati and Harley D.

The funny thing for me is that I've gone from heavier to lighter bikes as I've got older. I've sworn off heavy bikes, and gotten rid of all of them apart from a dual sport and my VFR800 here in the USA.
The last several years I've thoroughly enjoyed dual-sport touring on my Husky TE610E, which with a few mods has been comfortable enough for 600 mile dirt road weekends. Apart from the saddle height (39" with an aftermarket saddle), it is easier to manage day to day than my R11GS ever was, and far more competent on dirt roads and tight twisties. The seating position is more comfortable as well, although the saddle could be wider. Obviously the GS can carry more luggage, and has more wind protection, but the Husky has been perfectly adequate with an F650 screen screwed to the number plate and with Ortlieb soft luggage, I can pack in enough for a week of remote tent-camping / touring.

Now that I'm moving to SE Asia, I am enjoying the heck out of thrashing my Yammie YBR125G and some of the other small bikes (such as the Honda XR200) around the tight and twisty roads they have, and on dirt roads and trails. It's the most fun riding I've had in years, due to the tight and challenging roads, and the general laissez-faire attitude the cops and other motorists have towards road rules.

While the YBR is styled as a dual-sport, it is built as a practical day-to-day bike, unlike most modern BMWs (and in fact most bikes sold in the USA) which are regarded more as toys or leisure items. The YBR has the suspension, saddle and frame to carry two (or more on occasion) adults in reasonable comfort, while returning around 80 mpg. It's dead simple to service, with all major items from battery to valves to air filters to carb adjustment right out in the open or easily accessible with the removal of a few items.

I'd be very uncomfortable about taking any of the current BMW models on some of the trails I've done with the 125 (most of them 2-up). The two spills the bike has had would have been thousands of dollars of damage to a GS (versus under 100 on the Yammie), and I'd hate to manhandle 500 - 600 pounds of bike (versus 250) onto a better line when getting stuck in some rocks or ravines.

Obviously it's not suited for US freeway travel or the flat midwest, as I usually cruise it around 50 mph. But if that is what I enjoyed, I'd get a Harley and be done with it. Having said that, I'd have no problems taking it on a backroad tour across the USA, and I suspect I would be maintaining the same daily mileages as the average American touring rider on backroads as it easily does 250 miles on a 3.2 gallon tank.
It works great in the islands where I live now, and it would also do fine on most of the tight and bumpy backroads I like to ride in northern New England.

BMWs, Harleys and the like are great toy / ego bikes, but I think if many of us were honest and analyzed what we really enjoyed, and ignored the importance of ego / peer approval in our bike choices, we would be riding smaller, lighter, cheaper bikes.

At the end of the day, I'm having more fun thrashing the smaller, cheaper bikes than my bigger, more expensive machines. I can use more of my riding skills without getting into the legal trouble the bigger bikes always invited (BTDT), or be as exposed to high-speed get-offs.
And when they are dropped on some sand or gravel or whatever, they cost a fraction to repair or replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoc54
Funny ... I always thought that with age comes flatulence!

I think the reason is as most have said, economics. Generally speaking most people get wealthier as they get older, so they have more money for the expensive things in life. In addition though, I think age also bears on the fact that reliability and comfort are more important as we age.

One of the reasons I went with a BMW (I started with Honda and Yamaha) is because for the last few years I've owned a BMW car (530i) and I know first hand that with BMW you get comfort, reliability and performance.

The other reason, is now that I'm 58 I really only had 2 choices ... buy a BMW and reverse the aging process, or get fat, grow a beard and buy a Harley!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver
Just a different perspective........

In 1992 my son was the youngest rider (17) at the Flagstaff Az BMW rally ........ 20 years later he would still have been the youngest rider at the Lafayette La BMW rally (the youngest rider was 38).

BMW riders may or may not be getting better; we definitely ARE getting older .
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,029 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver
Just a different perspective from an ex-BMW owner, about the same age as the poster, who sometimes gets tempted by all the bling / lifestyle ads to get another.

If you really want to reverse the aging process, a BMW is not nearly as effective as (for example) going for early retirement and moving to SE Asia. My mornings usually start with a walk or jog along the beach or in the mountains followed by breakfast (most of our meals include a lot of fresh fruit and other foods), and then on most days I take a swim in the sea to relax and get some additional exercise.
I have a beautiful girlfriend who is almost 30 years my junior, and who takes far better care of me in all ways (I will leave that to your collective imaginations ) than any of my western SOs ever did, and I have far more time to enjoy her than I did when I was working a regular job.
I get to ride my bike just about every day of my life on tight and twisty roads, in stunning tropical scenery, and am far more relaxed than I ever was. Not nearly as stressed, and have dropped 25 lb without even trying, compared to the days when I was part of the corporate business travel grind.
We get to go traveling (usually by bike, sometimes we fly somewhere) every month to different islands or cities or provinces, something that we both enjoy.
I have a small business that gets me out of the house and traveling to different cities a few days a week, that I would never have dreamed of operating in the US. Totally different, and thus adds a fair bit of challenge. Because I am my own boss, I don't have the stress from corporate politics that US business seems to involve.

I realize for most (including myself) a total change in lifestyle is not easy to achieve, as it is not easy to walk away from the big car / house / bike / possessions / fancy job title, or to leave family behind, so we tend to try to compensate with more toys / leisure activities, like BMWs...
I did that for decades before finally deciding what the heck and going for a total life change.

So back to the mundane... : From my own experience and several motor industry surveys, reliability is not a reason to buy BMW. All my Jap bikes have been far more trouble free than my R11GS was, and all apart from one (a 10 year old Concours) have been more reliable than my other BMWs (both bought new).
My BMW cars gave me a bunch more problems than my Jap vehicles, although that was back in the 90s before I swore off them forever.
And just about all the consumer surveys put BMW cars well behind most of the Jap brands or even Hyundai and Ford for reliability.

Several years ago, MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) collated the faults reported to DOT and as you'd expect, Honda led the pack in reliability, closely followed by Yamaha, with Suzuki and Kawasaki not too far behind.
What was kind of shocking to me as a BMW owner (maybe not given my experiences) was that even Aprilia was substantially ahead of BMW at the time.
At least BMW did better than Ducati and Harley D.

The funny thing for me is that I've gone from heavier to lighter bikes as I've got older. I've sworn off heavy bikes, and gotten rid of all of them apart from a dual sport and my VFR800 here in the USA.
The last several years I've thoroughly enjoyed dual-sport touring on my Husky TE610E, which with a few mods has been comfortable enough for 600 mile dirt road weekends. Apart from the saddle height (39" with an aftermarket saddle), it is easier to manage day to day than my R11GS ever was, and far more competent on dirt roads and tight twisties. The seating position is more comfortable as well, although the saddle could be wider. Obviously the GS can carry more luggage, and has more wind protection, but the Husky has been perfectly adequate with an F650 screen screwed to the number plate and with Ortlieb soft luggage, I can pack in enough for a week of remote tent-camping / touring.

Now that I'm moving to SE Asia, I am enjoying the heck out of thrashing my Yammie YBR125G and some of the other small bikes (such as the Honda XR200) around the tight and twisty roads they have, and on dirt roads and trails. It's the most fun riding I've had in years, due to the tight and challenging roads, and the general laissez-faire attitude the cops and other motorists have towards road rules.

While the YBR is styled as a dual-sport, it is built as a practical day-to-day bike, unlike most modern BMWs (and in fact most bikes sold in the USA) which are regarded more as toys or leisure items. The YBR has the suspension, saddle and frame to carry two (or more on occasion) adults in reasonable comfort, while returning around 80 mpg. It's dead simple to service, with all major items from battery to valves to air filters to carb adjustment right out in the open or easily accessible with the removal of a few items.

I'd be very uncomfortable about taking any of the current BMW models on some of the trails I've done with the 125 (most of them 2-up). The two spills the bike has had would have been thousands of dollars of damage to a GS (versus under 100 on the Yammie), and I'd hate to manhandle 500 - 600 pounds of bike (versus 250) onto a better line when getting stuck in some rocks or ravines.

Obviously it's not suited for US freeway travel or the flat midwest, as I usually cruise it around 50 mph. But if that is what I enjoyed, I'd get a Harley and be done with it. Having said that, I'd have no problems taking it on a backroad tour across the USA, and I suspect I would be maintaining the same daily mileages as the average American touring rider on backroads as it easily does 250 miles on a 3.2 gallon tank.
It works great in the islands where I live now, and it would also do fine on most of the tight and bumpy backroads I like to ride in northern New England.

BMWs, Harleys and the like are great toy / ego bikes, but I think if many of us were honest and analyzed what we really enjoyed, and ignored the importance of ego / peer approval in our bike choices, we would be riding smaller, lighter, cheaper bikes.

At the end of the day, I'm having more fun thrashing the smaller, cheaper bikes than my bigger, more expensive machines. I can use more of my riding skills without getting into the legal trouble the bigger bikes always invited (BTDT), or be as exposed to high-speed get-offs.
And when they are dropped on some sand or gravel or whatever, they cost a fraction to repair or replace.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger

Your reply was concise.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM

Interesting poll,... &, it looks like I'm in the majority, having purchased my first BMW bike a bit later in life @ 51... My first bike was a '80 KZ 550. Great mid sized ride, that I rode for about a dozen years before selling it... Went almost 20 years before the bike bug bit again..

Originally wanted a Honda GW,.. Thankfully, the relatively high resale prices held me back for a while... Just long enough to take a look at a number of K bikes on Craigslist...

Glad I held back on the GW, and did some research on the RS line.. 2 years ago, I Ended up with an '04 RS with 15,000 mi... Haven't regretted the purchase for one second... Now I'm just mad I waited 20 years to get back in the game !!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Getting up to speed

Wanted a BMW since I was 18, but for some reason they seemed hard to find used when I was looking so I went with Hondas. Was hooked on Hondas for 20 years or so until the S1000RR came out. Rode one at Keith Code, instantly fell in love, and got one. The K is my comfort bike.
2005 GSXR 600 (Track/Street)
2012 S1000RR (Track/Street)
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 PM

I have gotten back into riding at age 60…. I always had small Japanese stuff. But when I got back into riding I got a Honda 1100 Shadow used and rode it for 4 years…. very reliable and sold it for same price I bought it for.
I made the mistake of test riding a used K12RS and did not want to get back on the Honda. So I got the RS…… Great bike…. super powerful…… BUT and this is a huge BUT ….. I am 5'5" tall and have done over a grand in damage dropping the bike. Recently had it lowered and it is much better but still high… BMW does not listen to shorter riders… The new 1600 is low but it's so damn big I won't get one. My first ride on a bike ever was a Harley back in 1950…. a guy threw me on the back of his bike out on Long Island when I said "Hey give me a ride mister"…. That was a machine….. Harley has listened to the riders … Even though BMW is a much superior machine and my K bike blows Harleys off the road all the time. I am actually tired of fighting this machine and BMW… I may trade it for a bike I can enjoy..
68 now in great shape love to ride….
Drj
Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohn1800
I have gotten back into riding at age 60…. I always had small Japanese stuff. But when I got back into riding I got a Honda 1100 Shadow used and rode it for 4 years…. very reliable and sold it for same price I bought it for.
I made the mistake of test riding a used K12RS and did not want to get back on the Honda. So I got the RS…… Great bike…. super powerful…… BUT and this is a huge BUT ….. I am 5'5" tall and have done over a grand in damage dropping the bike. Recently had it lowered and it is much better but still high… BMW does not listen to shorter riders… The new 1600 is low but it's so damn big I won't get one. My first ride on a bike ever was a Harley back in 1950…. a guy threw me on the back of his bike out on Long Island when I said "Hey give me a ride mister"…. That was a machine….. Harley has listened to the riders … Even though BMW is a much superior machine and my K bike blows Harleys off the road all the time. I am actually tired of fighting this machine and BMW… I may trade it for a bike I can enjoy..
68 now in great shape love to ride….
Drj
You may want to try the K12/13S. Looking to get one at some point. They're much lower to me than the the K12RS and seem pretty comfy. The S1000RR would fit you...comfy for a sport bike but wouldn't be on the long hauls.
2005 GSXR 600 (Track/Street)
2012 S1000RR (Track/Street)
Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Mixed thoughts as well. Have spent a lot of maintenance money on my 2007 K1200GT over the 30K miles I have owned it. Bought it with 22K miles and bought some aftermarket warranty. That covered the final drive failure at 29K miles. A set of brakes using OEM parts is expensive, the clutch went at 50K miles and it was over $700 for the clutch pack alone. That did not include the other parts they recommended be replaced which would have taken it to well over $1000 in parts before labor. Add $125 for the cam chain tensioner upgrade which should be a warranty item and Japanese bikes seem like they have fewer issues.

At 6' tall, strong and being beat on by a good personal trainer at almost 60 I can definitely see most people wanting a bike that was more handling friendly. I can muscle it at low speed and in the garage but a lot have a tougher time. But for going far from one place to another I don't know anything like it. HD would be what I would own only after a GT, a GS and a dirty 650 or smaller. Not sure I want to be in that shiny chrome and black T shirt club. When I look at BMW owners they are mostly like me, middle age, employed, responsible people that want to be able to ride far and get up the next day and do it again, rather than push beyond stupid to a get off just to see when the friction coefficient gives out. We like a little edge, but want to build in as much safety margin as we can. As a ski patrolman and strong skier I have been known to ski too fast, often. I find going uphill on a bike similar as you can play with the G forces. I am trying to get a similar friend skier and rider to think about changing out from HD Ultra to a GS. He likes to climb mountains on foot and I think the GS can appeal to him.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill
2007 K1200GT
2001 R1150GS (gone) need another
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Getting up to speed

For whatever it's worth I didn't buy my Beemer based on my age. When my wife and I decided to purchase a bike I initially narrowed my list down to three machines. A Harley CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide, a Gold Wing, and the BMW K1600gtl. After doing my homework I eliminated the God Wing based solely on weight. Nice ride but just too big. Next, I scratched the Harley off my list because I really didn't want to pay 37 grand for a machine and secondly I'm not really a Harley guy. So by the process of elimination the BMW K1600gtl was my choice and it truly is my dream machine. Great ride, looks good, and yes, it's a Beemer. To the question of the "Golden Years" after working for 49 + years, and spending 21-years in the Marine Corps, my beautiful bride and I deserve to ride on what we think is the best motorcycle every made. Just a thought or two to throw into the discussion pool. Everyone have a great day and GOD Bless one and all. Terry Nummer
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Getting up to speed

For whatever it's worth I didn't buy my Beemer based on my age. When my wife and I decided to purchase a bike I initially narrowed my list down to three machines. A Harley CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide, a Gold Wing, and the BMW K1600gtl. After doing my homework I eliminated the God Wing based solely on weight. Nice ride but just too big. Next, I scratched the Harley off my list because I really didn't want to pay 37 grand for a machine and secondly I'm not really a Harley guy. So by the process of elimination the BMW K1600gtl was my choice and it truly is my dream machine. Great ride, looks good, and yes, it's a Beemer. To the question of the "Golden Years" after working for 49 + years, and spending 21-years in the Marine Corps, my beautiful bride and I deserve to ride on what we think is the best motorcycle every made. Just a thought or two to throw into the discussion pool. Everyone have a great day and GOD Bless one and all. Terry Nummer
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I got my first new BMW when I was 31 (K100RS), and my second (R11GS) when I was 42. Performance and value for money kept me on Japanese bikes in between those ages, and lack of money put me on Japanese bikes and a Guzzi before that.

Now I'm 58 I've gone the other way, ride a 125 Japanese dual sport (Yamaha YBR125G) and a 200 cc Chinese dual sport / adventure bike (Zongshen Fly 200 / Motorstar MSX200-II).

The latter bike has the highest fun per dollar ratio of any machine I've ridden, and the little Yamaha is excellent value as well.
I've been places 2-up and loaded with the 125 that I could not believe we made it out the other side without getting stuck or falling a few times (touch wood for the next trip...).

The 200 at 285 lb or so is as tall and heavy a bike as I want for around here. I'd really hate to muscle a GS through some of the 'roads' we've toured on recently, or try to get through the city traffic.

Plus if they get stolen or destroyed, I'll lose $1700. I doubt I'd be loading my $20K uber-machine on a banca to another island without worrying about the porters dropping it over the side while running it up the gangplank, or getting thoroughly doused with salt water on the way over, or when leaving it parked outside some low-rent lodging in a 3rd world town.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s
So this started on another thread and I thought I would post a poll and a question.

Why do you think most Beemer riders are middle age or older when most Japanese motorcycle riders are younger and Harleys seem to bridge the gap with both young and old riders.

What is it about the BMW product or marketing that got you to buy your first Beemer?
I bought my first Beemer ,a R1150RS , nearly 5years ago because they were a fine looking bike and I needed to tow a trailer.
When I needed a larger bike to tow a heavier trailer a K1200RS was the perfect answer,since then I got low km K1200 GT and a Concour 1400.
Even with a six month break I was able to knock up over 30ks in the last year.
Will turn 82 in Dec.and still manage FarRides.Am so lucky a pinch or two every now and again to believe my good fortune.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe
I bought my first Beemer ,a R1150RS , nearly 5years ago ... Will turn 82 in Dec.and still manage FarRides.

Well done! I think that put's you in a class of your own!

You're certainly an inspiration to me... at 53!

(2013 696 Monster ...for the wife)
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Getting up to speed

61. It took me 34 years to figure out there was something more after Harley-Davidson!

current bikes
2016 Heritage Softail Classic "Big Bad Bill"
2013 K1600GT "Fritz"
2008 Rocker C "Crocker"
2012 Softail Slim "Big Red"
2010 Tri-Glide Ultra Classic "Geezer"
2009 Crossbones "Bad to the Bone"

previous bikes
2013 Fat Boy Lo
2011 Road Glide Custom
2005 Low Rider
2005 Electra-Glide Police
2013 Sportster 48
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300A
1979 Electra-Glide
1979 Super Glide
1966 Honda C200(90 cc)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Site Contributor

I was 17yo in 1973 when I became one of the anionted with the purchase of a used 1971 R/75/5 BMW. Back then a new Honda CB750 cost $1400.00 new, and a new B-mer would set one back nearly $2000.00.

It was the finicky high performance (and regularly fouled plugs) of a Yamaha RD350 that prompted my switch to the somewhat less than sexy looking Boxer and its reputation for reliability. With each passing trouble free mile the ungainly looking BMW and its oddly agricultural looking engine worked its way deeper under my skin.

Ironically the Big Four from Japan have in recent years proven themselves less "finicky" than the BMW's; but BMW has still led the way in innovation.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM

82 and 30000 miles a year is fantastic especially on an RS. I'm 68 and its a handful to ride my RS especially after 300 miles or so. Good for you. My motto is aging is inevitable , getting old is optional.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Getting up to speed

I don't want to mislead you drjohn 1800,it is kms here and I actually do most rides on a GTR1400 Concour.
I replaced the KRS with a KGT,virtually the same apart from more heaters,though just as comfortable for me.
Incidently about 12 months ago I found on long trips I was getting aches high up under my thighs,nearly bum level and by co-incidence started riding a push bike for up to 16 kms a day.
After a month or so my aches disappeared.I now believe it was lack of muscle tone that caused the aches.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 AM

Hello Defoe
Thats great. I think the same way. Aging is inevitable getting old is optional. Although I am a kid at 68 compared to you, . you inspire me. I am a Chiropractor and know that we were made to move. It is tragic that so many people can no longer enjoy life due to lack of movement. I am taking a test to become a Level 2 Strong First Instructor in January if I pass I will be the oldest person ever to pass this test. Instead of people here strengthening their bodies as you did, they just quit riding or get a trike . There was a guy at the BMW dealer the other day who was trading his bike in because he could not get his leg over it anymore. He was in his early 50's. Sad. I use 5 exercises that are on my website, ( drjohn1.com) in the video section. They are called Original Strength and were developed by a friend of mine. They neurologically and reflexively re-program the nervous system to keep you young and restore proper movement patterns and even fix a lot of aches and pains caused by improper movements. Tomorrow I am recording an update to the videos to better show the crawling and rocking movements. They are fantastic and only take 5 minutes a day. Keep riding. You rock.
Drj
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Interesting question in light of BMW's newest foray in the sport bike realm with the s1000rr and the new HP4. I guess they expect some of us to be young and dumb enough to be willing to race one at break neck (literally) speeds and to be able to afford it at such a young age . . . count me in.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring_s1000rr
Interesting question in light of BMW's newest foray in the sport bike realm with the s1000rr and the new HP4. I guess they expect some of us to be young and dumb enough to be willing to race one at break neck (literally) speeds and to be able to afford it at such a young age . . . count me in.
How about you update your profile - add your name and location. Also a picture of your bike would be cool. And welcome to the site.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreychuk
I seriously started looking at a motorcycle again at age 41, after a 23 year absence.
Used to ride a Honda CB400 twin.
I have never been nor will be a harley fan, AMF killed them.
I started looking at the Honda ST1300, and the Yamaha FJR, somehow I came across the BMW K's.
I figgered the GT or the RS.
Found the right deal, and even my wife agreed, sorta.
I've now got my mid life crisis fix, married 18 yrs, together 22, life is great.
This website is a good place as well, the BMW fit my age and needs, gotta love those European bikes!

In defense of Harley, they came back better than ever after the HD gang wrested control from AMF. Even though, since getting my K16GT, my "hunger" for Harleys has waned somewhat. I think now, instead of 6 HDs, I'd rather have one each of 6 different breeds.

current bikes
2016 Heritage Softail Classic "Big Bad Bill"
2013 K1600GT "Fritz"
2008 Rocker C "Crocker"
2012 Softail Slim "Big Red"
2010 Tri-Glide Ultra Classic "Geezer"
2009 Crossbones "Bad to the Bone"

previous bikes
2013 Fat Boy Lo
2011 Road Glide Custom
2005 Low Rider
2005 Electra-Glide Police
2013 Sportster 48
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300A
1979 Electra-Glide
1979 Super Glide
1966 Honda C200(90 cc)
Old 08-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I owned several BMW cars and finally wore out all my Motorcycles so I bought a BMW Bike
Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
So this started on another thread and I thought I would post a poll and a question.

Why do you think most Beemer riders are middle age or older when most Japanese motorcycle riders are younger and Harleys seem to bridge the gap with both young and old riders.

What is it about the BMW product or marketing that got you to buy your first Beemer?

Hi Mike,
To answer your question about why I bought my first Beemer, it was partly due to wanting a clean (no chain) bike for long distance touring and then the feel once I tried one - I did not like the balance of an R1100 that I tried, but when I hopped on the K1100RS I immediately felt at home, feet up on pegs when barely moving. From there on it was love !
Old 01-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I am sorry to say it was Ewan McGregor and Long Way Round. Kept my Suzi road bike.

I did 3 or 4 long offroad adventures (about 4000 km ea), ei was from one QLD-NSW to NSW-Vic border 90% Galden (G) and 10%(S) and back, before trading up to a K1200R.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

My dad gave me his 1971 R75/5 when I turned 15 (legal age at the time). I still have it!

That was soon to be 20 years ago I have since had a couple of honda dual sports, an R1150R, then an R1200GS, and now a K12ooR.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wolfy317' for this post:
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy317
My dad gave me his 1971 R75/5 when I turned 15 (legal age at the time). I still have it!

THAT is very cool Ya got a pic?

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Entering the on-ramp

The riders may be middle age because the rider is smarter about their purchasing dollar.

I have Japanese and Austrian and Canadian Bikes also.

There is no marketing that can influence me only facts, in fact I find most advertising slightly insulting and pathetic.
I had my First BMW car at 19 no silver spoon I made payments and worked very hard for it.
I had my first BMW Motorcycle almost thirty years later and 20 bikes later I picked up a sweet R75/5 and I traded that for a basket case a R90S which I built last summer.

Also I have only bought one new vehicle in my life because I was so hard on vehicles when I was younger.

Quote:

Old 03-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Jesus saves!

Quote:
...What is it about the BMW product or marketing that got you to buy your first Beemer?

Smooothness................ Oh, and looks and functionality for my size; reliability if treated right ..I could go on and on..
Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Jesus saves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
its a poll about what age you owned a beemer at, I owned my first at 15, its a problem I ask for a grouping to vote into? , who peed in your cheerios?

I probably did, Karl.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My dad had a /7 so I was pretty familiar with BMW, but I bought a Harley when I got out of the Navy. My in-laws lived on the border and we visited them quite a bit, one time we were there and some Canadians showed up on K 100's, the K bikes came out in Europe and Canada a year before the US and I'd never seen one. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever saw and when they came out in 1985 in the US I sold the Harley and bought the first one Tacoma BMW had, an Alaskan Blue K100RS for $6200 brand new, I was 26 years old. Now I'm 56 and 6 BMW's and a dozen+ other bikes later I still love K bikes and my current 1200 GT

'08 K 1200GT (riding)
'09 R 1200GS (missed)
'07 K 1200GT (traded)
'02 R 1150RT (sold)
'79 R 100 RT (lamented)
'85 K 100 RS (missed)
'02 Triumph Trophy (KIA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'stevent' for this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Site Contributor

I remember my first BMW purchase like it was yesterday. It was 1977 and I had been riding a Norton Commando 850 since '73. A friend of mine that had a Beemer used to sound off when he was challenged to race saying he would gladly race if the distance was from coast to coast. Without ever even riding a BMW I went to Johnny's BMW in Bakersfield and bought a new 750/7. It cost about $3400 which was a fortune to me at the time. A new '77 1000RS was on the showroom floor and was the bike that "I really wanted", but was too expensive at about $4500. I had driven about 2 mi. when I sensed that there was something wrong with the tranny as it made a horrible clunk when I shifted. I returned to Johnny's to have them trouble shoot it and was almost laughed out of the store by 5 guys that were hanging around the showroom. I soon got used to the BMW "clunky" transmission and still have bike today.
'06 KTM 450 EXC
'77 R75/7 (about time to let this one go)
'06 Harley Softail Deluxe
Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Getting up to speed

I'm 75 and still enjoy riding my 2,008GT. I'm a retired high school teacher and coach and had a great summer job test riding pre-production motorcycles for Honda for 10 years in Southern California. We rode 300 miles a day, 5 days a week, for 10 weeks, putting 15,000 miles on the bikes. It was hot during the summer but we got to ride a wide range of Honda's bikes plus other brands that Honda wanted us to evaluate and compare with their motorcycles. KEEP RIDING; IT'S GOOD FOR THE SOUL!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Shooting the gap

Dad bought a '68 R50/2 in 1968. In 1970 I rode it in parking lots.

After I finished two years of grad school, in 1981, it was crated and shipped to me. I rode it until 1991 when Dad said I should garage it because of the brakes.

I sold it and bought a KLR. That was fun for a number of years. Then they developed the pathways. So a different bike was in order.
MOA #24434
My Carbon Fiber R1200S is great!
My bike: http://tiny.cc/MyBike
Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to larrykay

So, now I am officially the oldest geezer riding a bike regularly on this forumat age 77. One new replacement knee last year. I still do 5 to 7 K a year with several multi day trips. I ride a lot with my adult kids, 37 & 40 (older BMW 1200C & a new HOG respectively.). When i ride with the kid on the Harley, he rides behind as the noise is deafening. He wakes up my neighborhood.!

I did my bucket list 2 years ago riding to the Carolinas and doing the Tail of the Dragon etc. 2000 miles in 10 days. i also ride regularly with our local club, the Westchester Beemers. at the moment, i think quite few are in Alaska doing a long trip.

I hope to ride well into my 80's as long as the body holds up. I just may have to go a BMW scooter when the legs cannot hold up my 600 lb bike any more. But that is in the future!!!!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there is a rider in Australia in his mid 80's who is still riding regularly. As a yet to retire rider in my early 60's I hope to ride for decades yet !
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 07-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Getting up to speed

Yeah,sorry LarryKay,I'll be 83 in December,still doing Farrides on a Concours,four weeks ago did 1950kms in a day and a half.I will be doing a Border Run,2600 kms return on the !st Aug weekend.Generally doing weekend runs on a 05KGT.
I recognise I am a very lucky man,really hope my health allows me a year or to yet.I sincerely hope you are able to do the same.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'defoe' for this post:
Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe
I recognise I am a very lucky man,really hope my health allows me a year or to yet.I sincerely hope you are able to do the same.

Indeed!, I wish to be the same luck, fortunate man

Hey Admins !, You need to change the scale, adding one more from 86 to 120!!
Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 PM
We doan need no steenkin badge

Bought mine when I was 50.
Thought the KRS was a great looking bike, actually the first modern BMW that just looked good, to me.
Sport touring was/is my thing, I still think my 02 is great, and looks beautiful in my opinion.

It does everything I'm capable of, and more.

That said , I recently got a 97 Ultra Classic Harley, to go with the KRS, 79 CBX, and 82 Katana, I'm love'n 'em all, I just like moorsicles.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Getting up to speed

My maw and paw had a BMW, then I had one. Its a genetic disease
Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 PM

Had a coffee with him this morning. Names Bill 84 years young and just brought a new Honda 350. Nice bloke and very interesting to talk to. Lives in Brisbane and is a Ulysses member.

Stress management at it's best.

Honda K750
Honda CB350
Yamaha XS1100
Honda VTX1800
BMW R1100RT (Deceased)
BMW K1200RS/GT
BMW R1150GS 2000 Model
Old 01-20-2015, 01:11 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

After my Kawasaki Z1 was stolen in San Jose (CA) in 1976, I feel in love with the looks of a Daytona Orange R90s. And that became my first BMW at age 23, 4th motorcycle overall.

Then I feel in love with BMW's. The R90s was totaled 2 years later, and I got a 78 R100RS. In 83 I traded it for a new R100RS, which itself was totaled a couple years later. In 85 I bought two K100RS's, one in Germany and shipped it back. I alternated back and forth until one was ... totaled. All that by the time I was 31.

I still have the other 85 K100RS, but want to sell it. I'm now 3000 miles into BMW #6, a 2015 K1300s, at age 61.

I always figured BMW riders to be a bit older, which would make sense considering how expensive they are. But when I got into them they didn't have the model proliferation we have now, with less-expensive, smaller choices.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFlower777
My maw and paw had a BMW, then I had one. Its a genetic disease

Sure is, as I learned to drive on Dad's '68 R50/2, then at 24 it was mine. He told me to park it in 2007, so I bought an F800S, but it was lemoned out in mid-2008. So, I bought a 2007 R1200S and farkled it so much it now looks like a HP Sport (but better as it almost all CF).

I love it. It has only needed 6, 12 and 18 service and oil changes. Soon I will have to have it have it's 24 service. I took it from Phoenix to East Grey's MOA rally and back.
MOA #24434
Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

In 2 months... I'll be 40.

This sucks!

Guess people now can and will be calling "Sir", "Mister" (Seńor) or some nonsense like that.

I see guys my age, in their Cages, with gray hair, and responsibilities and it makes me cringe...

On the other hand, I see a smaller group with more money than sense, going all out, partying, binge drinking, picking whatever has a skirt or not...

Hard to find a balance...

While I figure that and myself out... I'll keep riding to find myself... somehow!
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mondrage' for this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage
In 2 months... I'll be 40.

This sucks!

40!?! old?? oh, boy. you are just in the lobby...

Quote:
While I figure that and myself out... I'll keep riding to find myself... somehow!
Good luck!, with 65 I'm still searching the same and nothing ...
Old 07-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

Hehe! Guess not..

My older sister (younger 7 years) a few weeks ago told me... "you know, I just can't see a 40-year old man in you. Somehow, you are younger, like a kid having fun".

I don't know whether that was a compliment or an insult.... I'll be optimistic and go for compliment.

Like I said, most people my age, are all grayed out, with kids, mortgages, divorces, bad marriages, and what not.
I have an aversion for strife and problems. Sometimes, I think my life is too simple.

Perhaps, I should complicate it and have a kid.
Marriage seems like such a complicated proposition, judging for how unhappy everybody seems around me.

So, I'll stay young and trouble-free then!

Hasta la vista, baby!
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Getting up to speed

Hey Mondrage..
I am 62 and have been married for 42 years - we both ride bikes (wife has a K75S) and have a very happy life, so I guess that we have been fortunate relationship wise. I am still looking at bikes all the time, my wife is now considering an F800R and we both still love getting out for a ride, and I certainly feel younger than I am. We are going to be doing a 1000km (in one day) ride in a few months time, so that will test out whether the body agrees with the mind !
Old 07-07-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage
Marriage seems like such a complicated proposition, judging for how unhappy everybody seems around me.

Eyvind, you can't judge about another unhappy friend, you must to live the experience

After all the best way to know about divorce is marrying :yelp roflmao:

It's true there are many failed marriages, but also true there are many couples really happy. I think worth the try

btw. last was a pm of your GF...
Old 08-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Twisted Wrister

I was 23 years old. Living in San Jose and my Kawasaki Z1 was stolen. I saw a beautiful Daytona Orange R90s at San Jose BMW and bought it. I'm on my 6th BMW now.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Shooting the gap

I am 58 and I still ride a BMW R1200S! No raised handlebars, but it has Ohlins shocks, carbon fiber body and carbon fiber wheels. It is great!
MOA #24434
Old 08-28-2015, 12:23 AM
Getting up to speed

Update to my post in July.
Wife decided to buy a Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - shaft drive, and lighter than her K75S. BUT... she has refused to sell the K75S as she loves it for longer distance touring, and the power and smoothness, in fact she loves everything apart from the weight.
When we picked up the bike she rode it over 500 kms back home. She is 58.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:01 AM
Twisted Wrister

I am a sprightly sixty years of age and still manage to get my leg over the old K1200S most days.

Of course, I couldn't manage that without the help of my trusty butler Wimble, who winches me over the motorcycle using the rope and pulley system in the barn built originally to hoist straw bales up to the top floor for winter storage, cattle feed and bedding for the peasants. The ropes pinch a little around the old meat and two veg, but it's a useful device.

I was lucky enough to find a bespoke leather suit manufacturer who made my riding suit in a subtle Prince of Wales check, and incorporated my Guards tie into the design. Top chap.

For my 'skid-lid', I use a modified flying helmet confiscated from a Luftwaffe pilot whom my father shot down in the war. My main problem when riding is being able to quickly exchange my long-sight spectacles for my near-sight spectacles when I need to check that the tachometer is still between 10 and 12 thousand rpm, for optimum performance; having both pairs suspended from a cord around my neck helps with this. My one complaint of the velocipede itself is the lack of storage space for my shooting-stick and hip-flask, so necessary for a quick snifter of brandy on those nippy autumn days.

In short, age need not be a deterrent to the determined motorcyclist. Nor to riding anything else, as I often remind my nineteen year old Thai mail-order bride.

Well must go, almost time for tiffin.

Major Arbuthnot Featherington DFC OBE (ret'd)
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Getting up to speed

I'm 76 years young and ride my 2,008 GT three times a week, year round, in sunny southern Calif......it just turned 36,000 miles.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 PM
Twisted Wrister

23 for me. Had a Kawasaki Z1 get stolen in San Jose, CA, and then saw a beautiful Daytona Orange R90s at San Jose BMW. It was the first of 6 BMW's I've bought, though there was a 30-year gap between my #5 (85 K100RS) and #6 (2015 K1300s). Still have the K100RS, but I think it's time to sell it.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Shooting the gap

My helmet is the Lazer Carbon Fiber Monaco. It is great on a long ride!
MOA #24434