I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Do you have kids 'and' ride?
Yes, I have children and I ride. They are compatible, period. 202 43.25%
Yes, I have children however, I SOMETIMES belive it's irresponsible that I'm a motorcyclist. 20 4.28%
Yes, I have children however, I OFTEN believe it's irresponsible that I'm a motorcyclist. 10 2.14%
Yes, I have children and I've curtailed some aspects & frequency of my motorcycling as a result. 40 8.57%
I'd change nothing in any case, as when your time is up, it's up. 46 9.85%
I don't yet have children but would think I'd reconsider motorcycling once/ if I have them. 8 1.71%
I live my life like Hunter S. Thompson. Kids? what are kids? 50 10.71%
I'm on the other side in that I had kids and returned to the sport.. 91 19.49%
Voters: 467. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 12-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,488 Times in 814 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics
Motorcycling and children

Was Skyping an old friend today, one who I've blazed thousands of K12 miles with. A bunch of you know him....
He's retired from motorcycling now as a result of 'kids' (says it's irresponsible).

Got me thinking, how many of you have children and 'ride'?

- Do you believe it's 'irresponsible' or are they compatible?
- If you don't as yet have children, would you maintain motorcycling endeavors should you have them?

As always, a POLL is above but freely discuss herein
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,701 Times in 2,769 Posts

Re: Motorcycling and children

I have one kid, she's 16 now, and I haven't given up riding - although I do carry a significant amount of life insurance just in case. I don't find riding and having children to be incompatible, but as a concession, and while the kid has gone around the block with on the back with me, I really do not take the kid out riding with me, my wife has insisted on that.

Have I slowed down any? Yeah, probably, I'm a bit more cautious than I was back in my childless days, (add to that the recognition that I don't heal as quick as I used to) although I must admit that my enthusiasm sometimes overpowers my rational mind causing me to, from time to time, engage in stupid and futile gestures, but hey, WTF?

FWIW, BLPD!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,020 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
I must admit that my enthusiasm sometimes overpowers my rational mind causing me to, from time to time, engage in stupid and futile gestures
How incredibly irresponsible...
Old 12-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Just another troll

Before kids, I was good for 10K to 15K miles a year on bikes. After kids, I don't think I've done more than 3K in a year. Kids take time and are a priority for me over riding. Simple as that.

While I miss riding as much as I used to, I can't think of one time where I spent a Saturday with the kids instead of riding and regretted the decision. I do miss doing multi-day tours, but there will be time for that after the kids hit their teens and learn to hate my guts.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 PM
(Moderator) Free spirit

I ride, whenever I can, as often I can.
Sometimes I bring one of the boys, other times it is a pure ego trip.
I will never stop living on the account of someone. However I try to share my life as best I can with my kids.

PS, girls not big enough yet
Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2012

You left out another perfectly reasonable answer:

"Yes, I ride, and I've curtailed some aspects and frequency of my parenting as a result."

I'd rather think somebody's a son of a bitch than to have him think I'm a son of a bitch.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Über-geek!

Yes..I ride....and my kids ride with me!

Both my kids (especially my little girl who has been on the bike with me since she could touch the pegs) love to ride and love it even more if we have an opportunity to tuck in for a short burst of K12 speed.

~Humility is the only defense against humiliation. ~ Star Wars - The Clone Wars
Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,052 Posts

Great Thread!!

I began to ride long after having kids - the youngest was 8 and oldest 13 when I took the MSF. Since I'm not the main bread-winner, THAT part of the responsiblity is off my shoulders. My time on the bike is mine alone - just as my body and mind are mine. I dearly love my kids and family, but would not consider changing the way I ride to accomodate them.

However... and it is a BIG however - IF my children were under the age of ... 8, you can bet I'd be very cautious when riding to ensure that I raised them responsibly and got them to a point of minimal self-sufficency. Worst case - No way I'd want to leave a 3 year old behind without her mommy to lavish love and attention on her.

My mate/husband gave up riding for many years while the kids were young. Being the prime source of income, he took his responsiblities very seriously. This was also the time when he started his own company and had little time for recreation away from the family. Without his own company and the 80 hour work weeks, I don't know if he would have given up riding for a decade plus.

edited after reading Terry's post: I take my teen on the bike with me and yes, we have done some..uh.. triple numbers on empty, country roads. I won't tell her how fast we went for those short spurts.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Having children ages 3, 7 and 10 I agree and fit in with all the prior posters:

1) if my wife knew what I was worth dead (life insurance) she'd have me whacked.

2) since beginning doing track days I feel that I've slowed down on the street. I can't really say if it's a result of a) I get my kicks going full on at the track and no longer feel the need as much on the street b) realize after riding track that it's a much safer environment to crash and have a heightened sense of the extra dangers on the street c) I'm concerned with leaving three kids without a Dad d) all of the above?

3) my annual riding mileage is WAY down compared to just 5 years ago. I attribute that to the fact that my kids have hit the age where they are becoming involved in an increasing number of activities which take away my time as well. As ssduc has mentioned it's only a matter of time before I'm the enemy, but for now I'll support their endeavors at the cost of some of my own time.

4) As Trond said, "I will never stop living on the account of someone". I agree 100%. I've found that I have tons of regrets on some things from the past, but one thing that I've noted is that more often I regret having NOT done things more so then regretting things which were done. My wife claims that "one of us needs to be responsible"... I'm just glad it's her I guess.

I do think that motorcycles and kids can co-exist, yet I always understand those who make compromises due to the situation.

Teach the kids that motorsports are good so they can enjoy your passion too...

My 7 year old, then at age 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Edit Shortened: I haven't given up riding - although I do carry a significant amount of life insurance just in case.

Have I slowed down any? Yeah, probably, I'm a bit more cautious than I was... although I must admit that my enthusiasm sometimes overpowers my rational mind causing me to, from time to time, engage in stupid and futile gestures, but hey, WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssduc
Edit Shortened: Before kids, I was good for 10K to 15K miles a year on bikes. After kids, I don't think I've done more than 3K in a year. Kids take time and are a priority for me over riding. Simple as that.

I do miss doing multi-day tours, but there will be time for that after the kids hit their teens and learn to hate my guts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trond
I ride, whenever I can, as often I can.
Sometimes I bring one of the boys, other times it is a pure ego trip.
I will never stop living on the account of someone. However I try to share my life as best I can with my kids.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,815 Times in 1,069 Posts

Like many here I have returned to the sport.
I didn't see a good choice in the poll for me.

To each his own. Myself, I can remember the day I decided that I didn't want to ride
anymore. My first daughter was born in late July of that year and I had just returned
from a ride with buddies. We were riding fast and met a Trooper. We saw his lights
come on and we scattered. I turned off onto a side road, there was some gravel and
the bike's back tire kicked out on me. Somehow, skill but probably luck kept me from
going into the ditch. I got home, got off the bike and that's when it hit me. I have a
responsibility to my family.
Because it was fall I traded the bike for an ATV and sold that to get the money. I
never had the slightest urge to ride for 18 years. Then one day I was looking in the
local paper and saw several BMWs for sale. I told the wife I wanted to go look at
them. She said, "Wait, I want to come with you." We bought an '85 K100RS.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,166 Times in 2,087 Posts

If the children in your life don't change the things you do, then you probably shouldn't have them. When my first kid came along I quit a high paying job so I could be home all the time. 95% travel didn't lend itself to being a good father in my book.

Same with motorcycling. I limit my trips so I can spend more time with them. Hell, I've left rallies before because I missed my children. My wife currently doesn't ride with me because of the risk of losing both parents. When the kids are grown and out of the house, I am going to spend more vacations on my bike and hopefully my wife is with me.

Keyboard Hero! Let the games BEGIN!!!

A product of "unfortunate upbringing..."

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Site Contributor

It curtailed my riding when they were small. But as they got older I got back into it and taught them to ride. We has many a good day riding dirt bikes. My younger boy never really took too it but my older boy now 18 still rides and now on the street.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,488 Times in 814 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

What's your 'choice' bud? Tried to make them as encompassing and generic as plausible- We'll see if we can add it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousi
Like many here I have returned to the sport.
I didn't see a good choice in the poll for me..
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Getting up to speed

I just can't imagine having kids. I'm not against it at all but I just never caught the kid bug. I guess that I'm just too damn care-free. It seems that I don't have enough time to ride now as it is let alone having a family.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,815 Times in 1,069 Posts

[quote=vics]We'll see if we can add it...[/quot]

See you already have.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Idling

Raising 3 kids from very young ages as a single dad, hell, I didn't have time to even think about riding! Bought my first motorcycle in many years when the youngest was well into high school.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Twisted Wrister

I didn't have the time or money for motorcycles while raising 3, but I enjoyed the time with them just as much or more. Good memories.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to mrlajoie Send a message via MSN to mrlajoie Send a message via Yahoo to mrlajoie

I enjoyed motorcycling before I met my future ex but gave it up when my daughter came on the scene. Not through any pressure, but the financial responsibility was the deciding factor. After my daughter turned 18 I started looking at bikes again. My (ex)wife said that it was either the bike or her.... Did I mention she was an ex? Best decision of my life... Now my daughter rides pillion with me every chance she gets!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM
National Park, TX!

Nice poll vics (with no inappropriate choices this time thanks)...

I did not start riding a motorcycle until my youngest son was 8, and only last year did I take him on his first ride. I sometimes feel irresponsible when I'm out riding, but I do it anyway. Would it have been safer if I had driven a car out to California or Virginia instead of my GT? Definitely. But I would have never made those trips in a car..

However since I hit Bambi back in April, I've often wondered how badly my family would have been affected if I had been injured or killed. I have to admit, its taking awhile to get over the 'what ifs', and since then I've hardly ridden at all. Yes it was a busy Summer and all, but I'm more aware now of the risks we take when we're out on two wheels.

Its amazing how much our kids depend on us getting home safe. Be careful out there!

... it is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission ...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,130 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bend

I did not start riding a motorcycle until my youngest son was 8, and only last year did I take him on his first ride. I sometimes feel irresponsible when I'm out riding, but I do it anyway. Would it have been safer if I had driven a car out to California or Virginia instead of my GT? Definitely. But I would have never made those trips in a car..

However since I hit Bambi back in April, I've often wondered how badly my family would have been affected if I had been injured or killed. I have to admit, its taking awhile to get over the 'what ifs', and since then I've hardly ridden at all. Yes it was a busy Summer and all, but I'm more aware now of the risks we take when we're out on two wheels.

Its amazing how much our kids depend on us getting home safe. Be careful out there!

Sound advice

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Wookin' pa nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bend

Thanks for reminding me! BLPD!!!!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,701 Times in 2,769 Posts

Since you revised the poll, my vote more accurately tracks my reality - since my daughter was born my enthusiasm for riding has not diminished, but the time available has decreased, and my behavior on the road, for the most part, has moderated. I'd not give up one second of enjoying my kid growing up to have ridden more - there will be time for that - but they grow up so fast that before you know it they're adults and looking after you.

Here's me and my baby on one of those very infrequent down the alley rides from about a dozen years ago, she's still just as precious,

Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I ride as often as I can, but family takes priority. I think riding and kids are compatible.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I came back to riding when our son was a Junior in high school. He, my wife, and I would ride together, each on our own bike, until he left for the army. My wife and I continued to ride until the arrival of our first grandchild. When my wife held our first grandbaby, riding was over for her.
'05 DL1000 VStrom
'82 Vette
'56 Gretsch Electromatic
'56 Chev Truck
'71 Jeep Commando
"Life is like driving in the mud. If you don't slow down, you might plow right through it, however, you could run out of gas."
Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Site Contributor

It's a shame to give up an endeavor that might bring personal happiness etc. because one is afraid of what might happen! The concession I made many years ago when I started riding was to secure my own disability policy in addition to adequate life insurance. I felt the need to have the disability policy in the event that I did have a motorcycle accident, and that I was somewhat more likely to be disabled due to motorcycling relative to the general population. I only had to use the disability insurance once for 3 months back in "96 after a motorcycle accident and hopefully won't have need of it ever again, but it's there just in case.

Jim
Old 12-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Site Contributor

Hey, folks, it's been awhile! The K12rs that I traded for an R1 has now been converted into an 09 zx-14. I managed 14k in 2 years on the Yamaha but it was time for something more k12 like. Or k1300s like if you prefer. I rode the Beemer and the Kawi back to back on the same day and had to decide to save the seven (roughly) grand and go with the 14. All that aside, my son loves riding, and when the weather is nice, we routinely go two-up. We don't do fast rides, but around town, through the park, etc. He's still only ten, but he makes a fantastic and capable passenger. Once or twice when we rode to the gym a couple of ladies have said: "My God, how can you put your son on a motorcycle?" My reply consists of "Well, we both love it, and life should be about doing what you love. You can get killed walking your dog." Kind of a conversation ender.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,113 Posts

I remember when my daughter was born, my only thoughts about riding was I wonder when I can start taking her out with me. Well the first time she sat on the back was at the tender age of 4. We went around the block. Mom was out in the driveway, she watched us go down the street and she waited for us to return.

I was thrilled, my little one seemed fine and my wife started breathing again. My biggest concern was that my little princess would fall off the bike. I never liked the idea of strapping the kid to me. Back then I was riding HD's so that summer I bought my first Ultra Classic. I bought it for one reason, I could put the princess on back and not worry about her falling off, only way she was going to come off the bike was if we went down.

From that day on my daughter has been riding with me. We have had some great trips over the years. She will be going off to college this fall and we are going to take another road trip this summer.

I also remember many folks thinking I was wrong to have my little one on board with me. I used to bring her to school and the teachers would be besides themselves seeing us pull up on the bike.

I hope to live a long life, I have brought my daughter up to realize that many things we do are dangerous. I can honestly say that my wife and I worry about her way more when she gets into her car than when she gets on the bike with me.

I love my wife and daughter as much as any man can.

I just can't imagine not riding a motorcycle. I ride almost year round, rode yesterday and it felt just like it always does - great.

I hope my daughter will continue to ride with the old man, of course that is when she is in town.

I respect everyone's choice, for our family it has worked out just fine, and I continue to always think about the family while I'm out riding. Does not matter if I'm alone or have one of the girls with me, very simple I have a responsibiltiy to get us home safely.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 12-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to larrykay

I have been riding continuously since i was 18. I stopped for 10 years whileIi lived in NYC and first married.

When I moved to the suburbs with 2 young kids, I bought a bike and kept upgrading each year asIi regained my confidence and sharpened my reflexes back to riding. Both boys have ridden short distances as pillion. When they both graduated from college, they both seemed to get their own bikes without my help. My eldest at 36 ,married, rides a V-rod(feh), and the younger(33) who has 2 kids, rides a 99 1200C. His wife does not ride, so he had to up his life insurance as I did many years ago.

Currently i am doing more riding, almost daily. Unfortunately my wife retired from riding pillion sevedral years ago after a sideswipe by a truck. No physical injuries,but it was over for her.
Rrecently, since I Medicare, i took out a Medjet policy to cover evacuation by private jet if necessary fron any place we may be, if we gert real sick or hurtI have even attached an endorsement to the policy for repatriation of the bike, in case I am riding at the time of the incident. so, if I get sick, the bike comes home also.....
Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 PM
WACKY RACER

When I started riding a big motorcycle was 350cc [honda 325cc]. Started with 100 cc twin two stroke and moved up to bigger. AND added dirt bikes and racing to the weekend activities. At first the wife would bring the kids and let them play with their toy trucks while I was on the track.

My daughter would ride to school on the front of my 175cc yamaha whenever her mother couldn't take her. the kids at school got a big kick out of seeing us.
Often the wife and I would go riding with some of her students [and my riding buddies] and they had to get her bike out whenever she got stuck in the mud.

Their first bike was a 75cc honda, [bought reeeeeal cheep and fixed up]. The daughter first and then the boy [two years younger].

My son went down and got his motorcycle license when he was 16. They told him he couldn't have a mc license without a car license, but they were wrong. He didn't get his car license til he was 18.

My son has had a street bike since he was 17 [he is 41 now] and my daughter recently purchased a 500cc Kawasaki ninja. She had to give it back to the finance when she lost her job Been out of a full time job for nearly 2 years].

So, do kids interfere with your motorcyle riding???? NOT AT OUR HOUSE.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,354 Times in 846 Posts

Didn't start riding again until the finances were secure for education, widowhood, etc.

Wife didn't start riding with me until our youngest was half way through college.

We bought a trailer to haul the bike for our longer trips as she doesn't do well on all day rider without frequent stops and rest breaks.

My oldest loves riding with me but likes a slow pace.

The wife and I will be trailering to Daytona Bike Week and camping most of our stay.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Getting up to speed

I've been riding since i was 16, my father had a motorcycle when i was real young, my kids are 27 and 32 (27 year old twins 32 year old daughter) and i have ridden every year, they were riding along with me at the age of 3 and the older they got the further we'd go, my oldest sometimes rides , she wants to get her own bike someday as soon as affordable she will not ride on the back of her with boyfriend because he is too inexpercienced, the kids all have plenty of time on the bike and are aware of the dangers of riding. if your afraid that something might happen to you , maybe you should stay in the house, you can get hurt a thousand ways, fall down the stairs and break your neck, drown in the pool while swimming, fall thru the ice while skating or snowmobiling, and i could go on. do what you want to do and enjoy it as much as you can, include the kids as much as possible so they can have those memories when your gone, no matter how you go., and that my friend is not irresponsible is is just living.. like the gun bumper sticker says " i'll give up my bike when they pry it from my cold dead fingers" be safe and enjoy. give your kids those awesome memories.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I think it depends on the individual - and their ability to control themselves. Unfortunately, I am a bit lacking in that department.
When I was younger, my bike was my main transportation. Like Cousi, I had an "life challenging event" with a car on the 57 Freeway on Christmas eve when my daughter was 4. Got home and parked the bike and told my wife I was done riding until the kids had left the house. When my son left to go to college, I picked up a 98 K12RS and never looked back.
Bill

06 K1200GT
04 Aprilia Factory
07 KTM 990 ADV
12 KTM 500EXC
03 650CS (hers)
Old 01-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to island_tony Send a message via Yahoo to island_tony

Get more insurance and everyone will feel a lot better about your riding. In the worse case, maybe they can even afford some of those things that have been missing as a result of money spent on motorcycles.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Site Contributor

I must be irresponsible! Not only do I ride motorcycles, but my youngest Son has ridden bikes since he was 4 years old. He got his motorcycle license in Oklahoma at fourteen. He’s now 16, rides a Yamaha R6, and up till I sold it, my Repsol Honda 1000rr (and he’s very much looking forward to riding the K1200s once I’ve had it serviced and checked over).
I find motorcycling is a great way for me to show a common interest and spend time with my Son that I may not otherwise do.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island_tony
Get more insurance and everyone will feel a lot better about your riding. In the worse case, maybe they can even afford some of those things that have been missing as a result of money spent on motorcycles.

+1

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSooner
I must be irresponsible! Not only do I ride motorcycles, but my youngest Son has ridden bikes since he was 4 years old... I find motorcycling is a great way for me to show a common interest and spend time with my Son that I may not otherwise do.

My daughter has been on my bike since the day she turned three. Coincidentally, the odometer turned to 33,333.3km during that ride!
The 11 year old boy came cross-continent with me in 2008.
I don't see the prob.
I got tons of insurance, if I go, sooner or later they'll have more than I could ever give'em...
Time heals a lotta things...

Ride West 2008
Old 02-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Lovin the ride

Like many here it was a choice due to time and money, not because it was irresponsible or unsafe.

I had 3 children as well and now that they are out of school and on there own I have time and money, sometimes, I can use.

During the time I gave up riding I spent several tours in the middle east during Desert Shield and Desert Storm and later became a full time patrol officer and supervisor with a local Law Enforcement agency, all of which were more dangerous than riding.

I didn't want to teach my kids how to survive, I wanted to teach them how to live.

If I had the money and time during their growing years I still would have kept a bike and rode when I could.

Previous bikes:
Kawasaki KLR650
Suzuki GS550ES
Suzuki GS1150E

Member BMW MOA, BMWNEF, Patriot Guard Rider
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'leesrt' for this post:
Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Getting up to speed

I'm damned glad I never traded so much as one mile of riding with my son for some false sense of securitthat I may havehad by not riding.

rebuilding one synapse at a time
Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Consultant & Former Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to locus Send a message via Yahoo to locus Send a message via Skype™ to locus
Talking Re: Motorcycling and children

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
Was Skyping an old friend today, one who I've blazed thousands of K12 miles with. A bunch of you know him....

He's retired from motorcycling now as a result of 'kids' (says it's irresponsible).
Comment 1: BS.... he aint allowed by his wifey to ride.. and uses this excuse...
Got me thinking, how many of you have children and 'ride'?
Comment 2: A lot of us I think... we aint a spesial-breed that are not producing kids.. just because we ride motorcycles...

- Do you believe it's 'irresponsible' or are they compatible?
Comment 3: Every person has his/hers right of a free living.. to do what they like...
- If you don't as yet have children, would you maintain motorcycling endeavors should you have them?
Comment 4: I am a granddad of five and could even end up as a great granddad very soon, BUT neither my kids nor my grandkids have ever suffered any harm by me riding my motorcycle.. and they never will..
It is My way of Life.... simple as that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As always, a POLL is above but freely discuss herein

......anyone...??

Ride Fast - Ride Safe !
There is no road to happiness, happiness is the road
Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Getting up to speed

Smile Re: Motorcycling and children

Upon having children I suggest you slow down a bit..... Perhaps to legal speeds in order to set a good example!
Norton Commando 1973

In the past.....
Suzuki GSX1100EF 1990 (tank slapper wobbler supreme)!
Suzuki GS1000s 1981
Suzuki GS400E
Honda CB400N
Honda CB650c
Kawasaki Z400
Suzuki GN250 1982

Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 AM
PSI FEEDER

I have been riding since I was a kid, first bike was moped when I was 11. I somrtimes feel guilty about riding but mainly about leaving my kids on the weekends while I go play. But I do take my 17 year old with me often now so it makes it guilt free (yes he has full gear)

IF YOU CAN READ THIS THANK A TEACHER, IF ITS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!!!!!!

WHO SAID YOU COULD TOUCH MY LEATHER STRAPS....

Lead me not into temptation......I can find it myself

who you calling fatboy now

"Pain is temporary, Losing is forever"....Lance Armstrong
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Funny that THIS thread show up in my inbox today as tonight after work my son (10) and I will depart on a 230 mile ride which will be like an "endurance" ride for him given his longest day in the saddle was about 100 miles and included several stops which we are not as likely to take tonight.

I'm hoping the combination of windblast and intercom system keep him awake throughout the ride.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad

Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Red face Re: Motorcycling and children

This is an awesome thread! I believe it should be a sticky! I sold my bike when my wife got pregnant because I a) don't want to jeopardize my family's well being if I get hurt and b) i don't want my son to ride because I am afraid something might happen to him.

Update: After 3 years I could not take it anymore and had to buy another bike. Just could not find anything that would clear my head out as well. I also reasoned that my son is either going to want to ride or not and it is not based on me being a motorcyclist. My father forbid me to have a motorcycle and the first thing I ever bought was a motorcycle.

I am sooo glad this thread came up. I thought I was the only one who even drove himself crazy pondering this question. I wish I saw it when it came out in December though. I have been agonizing over buying this new bike.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via Yahoo to SheRidesABeemer

I got my license when she was 4.5
I've been a single parent since she was 4.5 (coincidence? I think not)
Since them I've been a few places, done a few things on a motorcycle.

Some of them with her

Monday she will be heading to MSF class.
There is no curtailing people with a zest for life.
My Blog, My Pics
Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Getting up to speed

My daughter just got her license a few months ago and I wouldn't think twice about not buying her a bike of her own. I've always loved the saying, "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

I would like to think the ones I love would much rather see me die with a smile on my face then to be some grumpy old fart the rest of my life.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Getting up to speed

I rode before my kid; and now that I have a kid, I still ride. Period. My daughter is now 12 and loves to ride with me. She was allowed to ride with me since she could comfortably reach the pegs. We haven't taken a riding vacation yet, but its on the docket.

My take is this - I want my kid to know what it is like at an early age to ride with someone who knows what they are doing. Otherwise, she may get on the back of some 17 year old's shiny new Ninja some day and not know instantly that he is a novice. Hopefully, she will be smart enough to ask to get off the bike and call for a ride home.

Riding is serious business. But, I don't consider it "negligent" to ride, regardless of kids. I don't think I have a better chance of dying than someone who doesn't ride. I think it makes me more aware - and probably a better driver. And - its a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Even with no kids I find it hard to get in the KMs. This year was the worst as we moved into a new house and my business has been bananas busy. I have seen so many riders go down in the last 12 months its made me weary of the sport. One old lady in a CRV actually pile drove a biker into the rear of my car then took out the entire back half of it. She said her foot slipped on the gas - he was ok and ambulanced out and my wife has been a wreck ever since.

Fact is its a risky sport and its probably the most selfish thing do. But there is just something Zen about it - something fun. Something that you just can't explain to cagers. I am fortunate enough to own some pretty nice cars and regardless of the moment when I get on my KR and ride even a few KMs to work it puts a huge smile on my face and my wife knows it.

I promised her tons of life and disability insurance when we have the kids as a trade off to me continuing to ride. But what I think will happen is that I just won't have time to justify that extra spot being occupied in the garage for only a few hundred kms a season and will have to keep the bike in storage.

For me atleast, tour riding is a bachelor or retired activity. I admire those of you that have the best of all worlds while raising your families and keeping up with the daily grind. I have had to succumb to the once or twice a week commute to somewhere to get my fix.

2009 K1300R current - past '05 VFR
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi all,

I've got two kids. Well two daughters to be more precise...
And they both love to ride pillion. It's a lot of "Can we please go faster" and "Wow, my hand almost got blown off, didn't know we where going that fast", "Oh mom we were going almost nnn kph" most of the time.
They both also do horseback riding which is from a purely statistical point of view a whole lot more dangerous! At least the bike -well most of the time- doesn't have a will of its own.
So bikes, horses and kids are most definately compatible. There's no such thing as risk free living.
And as Mark Twain supposedly said: Better regret things you've done, rather than regretting that which you didn't do!

My 0.02 of what ever currency you prefer...
Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Getting up to speed

i have 3 children and a very spirited horse that is breath taking to ride
but my k1300r gets 10k on it per yr...
my kids love both...there is more to living than being safe to the point of dullness
no one has a clue how they will die so enjoying life takes precedence over hiding in a shelter
and horses do have mind of thier own and can get u in trouble quick....but its no fun riding a tired horse, or avoiding riding a bike as long as u keep a healthy margin of safety...
some things need to be done in life when u can before u r too old and cant
my son who is 12 went along the cabot trail with me on the bike and had the time of his life
Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Unit Train

This is such a good thread, and I've followed it since it started. I've struggled with this question for years. My kids now range in age from 12 to 17, and each passing year eases my concerns slightly. I mentioned in another thread that several months ago I nearly lost my wife in a serious car accident. Nothing makes me take stock of things more than something like that.

If I let myself, I worry now every time my wife leaves the house. I worry about my two sons who are now drivers. But I don't let myself fall into the trap of allowing that worry to overtake me. And the same applies to my motorcycling hobby.

I guess the way I rationalize riding is by asking the question: how much risk is too much? Statistically, the risk of being killed on a motorcycle is higher than the risk while operating a car, which is in turn higher than being in a plane crash, etc. But driving a car is still risky.

Do I stop driving? I would be safer by a large margin. Larger, in fact, than the statistical risk difference between driving a car and riding a motorcycle, for example.

How about where I work? I manage our family's grain elevators for a living. Compared to driving a car, it's not a particularly risky occupation. Compared to other jobs, though, it is dangerous. Dust explosions, train loading/high work/heavy equipment accidents....things can happen. I'm mainly office-bound by my responsibilities, but our office sits in the shadow of our main location. If it were to suffer a large explosion (every five or 10 years there seems to be a significant occurrence of this because of the combination of flammable dust and running machinery inherent to this business), the office could and probably would go too. Should I find work in a safer location? The reward is higher for my job perhaps than it is for riding my bike; I provide a living for my family this way. But I could find a statistically safer career somewhere. Is it my responsibility to my family to do so?

Should I hire someone with more risk tolerance to clean my gutters? Blow leaves off my roof? Walk my dog? Should I quit bicycling? I'm belaboring the point, which is simply that we all have a level of risk that we decide we're willing to take. I'm not a B.A.S.E jumper, and I've never picked a fight with a patched member of the Hell's Angels. The risk/reward ratio for those two activites makes me unwilling to participate. YMMV. But in general, I just refuse to live life as a wallflower. I think the harm in doing so - as an example for my kids - in some ways is more dangerous than the risk of something happening to me on a bike for my family.

At some point we all have to live our lives, accepting that the ultimate result of life - regardless of how risk averse we are - is death. Everyone's heard the quote that has almost become a cliche: "I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death."

Don't know who originally said that, but I agree.

A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning - that all glory is fleeting.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded
I just refuse to live life as a wallflower. I think the harm in doing so - as an example for my kids - in some ways is more dangerous than the risk of something happening to me on a bike for my family.

At some point we all have to live our lives, accepting that the ultimate result of life - regardless of how risk averse we are - is death. Everyone's heard the quote that has almost become a cliche: "I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death."
VERY well said!

This is a tough one at my house as my wife thinks I'm a crazy idiot, while somewhere along the lines she has become so safety conscious that I believe she's missing out on LIFE.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Wookin' pa nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
This is a tough one at my house as my wife thinks I'm an idiot.

It happens to the best of us!

Life is good!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
Suppose you're right.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Fuse lit...

I think this is a very interesting philosophical question with no right or wrong answer - just your answer. My views are shaped by the notion that tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us - my dad died suddenly of a heart attack with no previous warning at 43 years old, I was 13 at the time. I'm 53 now with 5 kids ages ranged from 6 to 26 years old and one of the many behaviors I'm proud to have modeled for them is to seize and live your life today - do it responsibly - but never fear the consequences of doing what fulfills you. As the country song goes "live life like you were dying." This philosophy for me pervades my life as a serial entrepreneur to my passion for turning gas into grins. I've raced motorcycles and cars and I'm currently a very active aerobatic competitor flying a Pitts high performance modern biplane in several competitions per year. My family understands it's just the way I'm wired and it's just part of being "dad."

I will add that I've made all of these "gas to grins" opportunities available to my kids and none of them have taken up flying or racing. I never pushed them or set any expectations in any way for them to follow me but they all knew it was available if they made the calculated and deliberate choice to do these things. After all, at the end of the day, we all need to have the skill to assess and manage the risks in our life and I'm very proud that my kids have exercised that skill throughout their lives.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I'm a 54 year old commercial fisherman with 3 kids, 22 to 16. Still doing track days [848 ducati] and street riding my k13. Been riding since I was a kid, I can not imagine not riding motorcycles. I've been told that I should not take so many risks, to be more responsible. I feel that I am taking care of my family the best way that I can. By having passions in life I feel we live life better. I do not take unnecessary risks. I live my life in a way that helps me to greet each morning looking forward to what it will bring. Hopefully my children will see that life is more then going to work everday and then you retire. We need to feel life to really live it. IMO
Dean
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Wonderful topic. I just returned to riding after a voluntary 15yr hiatus. Always knew I'd get back on a bike, just didn't give much thought to when. Raising a family and building a career took priority and I have no regrets.

My kids are still young and my safety is a concern EVERY time I put on a helmet. When I get the inevitable question: "aren't motorcycle dangerous?" from non-riding friends, I gently remind them that "motorcycles are not dangerous, but vulnerable," and "a distracted driver busy texting is dangerous".

Just like trying to win the lottery, frequency of riding does not increase risk. Your chance to arriving home safely is EXACTLY the same EACH time you head out for a ride - whether it is your 1st, or your 150th. Your attitude on that ride is the primary determinant of risk exposure.

We can only manage risk but cannot eliminate it entirely. Driving defensively is a must. Improving one's riding skills is another. I'm doing track days, in large part, to make sure I am able to use as much of the bike's performance envelope - if and when I'm called upon to use it on the street in an emergency.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by island_tony

....... my first squadron CO put it this way when talking about insurance for a young USMC pilot: "Never underestimate the resale value of a wife".
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I had to give up biking before the children were born (no money to repair the bike and alternatives were available!) I always wanted to go biking again, but money was not really there & "She who will be obeyed" was not really happy about biking. However due to the train fares going up 37% it became cheaper to operate a bike again.

The Boss found the bike I had always loved - BMW K100RT, and so I returned to the fold. The kids at the time were quite youg (9 & 7) the youngs decided she wanted a bike when she was older. They were not allowed on the bike, until necessity drove us to it - the rule was always no topbox - no ride! My son (the oldest) prefers cars and the youngest (my daughter) loves to ride in virtually any weather.

I personally think crossing the road is dangerous so if you are responsible and try to minimise the risks then it is ok!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Site Contributor

My Son was doing short rides when he was still in his Mom. Now 28 and he is going for a motor cycle corse this month! .
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe

Define best...

Ride West 2008