I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Do you have kids 'and' ride?
Poll Options
Do you have kids 'and' ride?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis
Re: Motorcycling and children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Define best...

Or... did you mean rest of us?

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Getting up to speed

just ride, no level of caution is going to stop a stroke or heart attack either...
Old 05-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,219 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Or... did you mean rest of us?

Well, if your wife doesn't think that you done something idiotic every now and again then you ain't doing it right. Just sayin'.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I had a bad accident on motorcycle 2006, year to get back to work, but now I have 3 of my 4 kids with there CBT's and out learning.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I took my 11 year old daughter out on the bike for the 1st time yesterday and she loved it.Nice weather and an ice cream at the half way point played no part in her enjoyment.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 AM

I did not start riding until I was in my early 30's and had two daughters. Both girls wanted to go with dad so I started with short rides and this expanded to long tours over the years when they were grown women with families of their own.

My daughters are in their 40's now and have fond memories of our trips...but neither one cares to ride any more. My wife took many long trips when we were younger, but no longer cares to go...she encourages me to ride as much as I want to.

I have a 25 year old grandson who rode with me, especially when I would visit him at Camp Lejeune when he was not deployed. We made a family decision that my younger grand kids would not go riding with grandpa...the boys have shown no interest...I think their 5 year old little sister would jump on the back if given the chance. With two big brothers, she is not afraid of much!

My girls frequently argue in good fun about who got to take the best trip with dad...great memories.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'GWS' for this post:
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I have been street riding since I was 18 and before marriage and kids. My wife knows it is part of who I am and I've always had a bike(s) in the garage. Both my kids and my wife have been passengers. My son, now 18, took the MSF course and rides a Kawa 650R. I got him started on a Honda 50 as soon as he was able at an early age. He and I have been now riding together for close to a year on the street.

That said, once I had kids, I did stop the racing on 2 wheels but will now go back to open track days on occasion (I actually think it is safer than street riding when done well). I did limit the multi-day adventures, but I see those returning now too as my daughter will soon be a high school graduate. These are all individual decisions based on risk/reward and where you are at. But parents deserve to have some fun too, just need to be smart about it. We all know, there are many other dangers in the world, so estate planning is good to think about regardless of age and how often you ride/don't ride.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Absent-minded surgeon D'oh....

Unleaded writes;
Quote:
At some point we all have to live our lives, accepting that the ultimate result of life - regardless of how risk averse we are - is death. Everyone's heard the quote that has almost become a cliche: "I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death."

I like that quote too....

I started riding before my first kid.

I rode around India with the future mother of my last two kids and it was all about life and death, we had no accidents but you have to work on that in India on a Royal Enfield Bullet. You have to work on that riding a motorcycle.

But that is the beauty of riding and the beauty of showing that to your kids, it is a great example.

Motorcycle riding is all about life and death all rolled into one activity. I reckon it is a good example for kids to see their folks doing something tricky and dangerous but with finesse and panache and coming back smiling.

Motorcycle riding and maintenance can be done safely and with a bunch of fun, although the risks and stats are real.

Great poll and thread and fascinating and inspiring to read all your comments..
Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Head Up Knee down

I didn't give an answer because i don't have kids but I see how my wife, her siblings and every other person that is around my father-in-law is the second they see him on the bike. They want to get on. As MKEM said in his post it is about "The Memories" and my wife's fondest memories are with her father on one of his bikes as a passenger. Still to this day if his seat is open she hops on his bike.

So i hope that if we decide one day that kids is an option i don't see giving it up. I see working on getting that much better so when they are big enough to ride with me I know we'll be safe.

Great poll and great stories. Nice to see a post that has a lot of love in it
2002 Silver K1200RS M-sport Roundel (sold)
2005 GSX-R 600 *sold to buy the k12s

Web Designer / Internet Marketing / network marketing
Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I just got back into riding after a 30yr. absence. It was always something: No money, moving towns or jobs, career moves, etc. I'm now 45 with two small children (6&1) and if I wait for them to finish ANY schooling before I ride then I'm duly screwed and will only get to ride either a wheelchair at the retirement home or the trolley in the morgue.
I live in the Middle East and if I ride here I WILL be killed by some imbecil driver so I have to fly 7hrs to Europe so I can ride for a couple of days. Not enough but - hell, it's ok as family is first and they get to enjoy a happier dad and husband.
Being an airline pilot I am trained to assess risk, manage energy and to try to keep it safe but it's all I can do. The element of luck rules, and whilst you can be cautious and conservative you cannot control it all.
More insurance? You bet. More LIFE? You bet.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I'm in about the same situation as you. Stopped riding for 15 years, started again and now I have my first child on the way. I didn't keep my MC license current and had to go back and get tested. What a blessing! At age 45 my attitude toward motorcycling, or anything dangerous is much more respectful than when I was 25. I am lucky I didn't die my first time around with motorcycles. I jump on and road and figured I knew how to handle the machine because I could keep it upright.

MSF course, books, track lessons and practicing make motorcycling a manageable risk. I will teach my son this. I will teach him this about everything he does.

People who say things like "motorcycles are dangerous" don't understand motorcycles. I believe that not understanding motorcycles and trying to ride them is dangerous. The same goes for guns, power tools, drugs & alcohol (including rx meds) , relationships, gambling, etc.

I'm glad marriage, children and riding motorcycles come along when I was older. When I was young I knew too much to know anything.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidster
I'm in about the same situation as you. Stopped riding for 15 years

I'm glad marriage, children and riding motorcycles come along when I was older. When I was young I knew too much to know anything.

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 09-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I have two sons ,18 & 20. They both ride . NO PROBLEM
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JOKER' for this post:
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Idling

I'm 55 been riding for nearly 38 years, most of the time on the road but off road when ever the opportunity presented. I stopped riding when my so was born 20 years ago but frankly I was not as happy as when I had a bike, so I bought another one that did spend too much time in the garage until he was in his teens. Riding motorcycles is my time to escape the world and my preferred recreation. My wife made me promise I would never ride pillion with my son, and I never have. He's pretty keen on dirt bikes but will not and is never likely to ride on the road, a shame in my view but his mother is very pleased.
Everyone to there own, the choices we make are our own and we live and die by those choices.
I have a saying when others inevitably say "oh motorcycling is a death wish". I say the bike only goes as fast as the rider allows it to go, if you fall off it's your fault if some cage dweller takes you out well that's plain bad luck. I ride for every other driver on the road and I assume they are all lining me up.
Ride safe, live life and love one another.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyingfox' for this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Entering the on-ramp

In order to stay alive on the street just live by the following rule.

Always assume the person in the car knows your "hanging out" with his wife. It really raises that level of awareness.

LOL
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponserv
In order to stay alive on the street just live by the following rule.

Always assume the person in the car knows your "hanging out" with his wife. It really raises that level of awareness.

LOL
So how did YOU and HE know that I was "hanging out" with his wife?
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I know I'm late but...

I'm dad to an amazing little 9 year old girl, and while she is the light of my life, I don't "give up" anything for her. Yes, I have curbed many a selfish habit since she was born, but never "quit". I like to climb high elevation alpine rock routes, downhill mt. biking, find and photograph wild rattlesnakes, and I just got my first motorcycle about 2,000 miles ago. One thing I try to teach my daughter is that it is ok to be afraid...it is NOT ok to let those fears run your life.

These days I'm very cautious. I don't climb chossy, loose mountain routes that could result in death, but I still sport climb and boulder. I no longer chase rattlers through the desert and dive on them to catch 'em, but I still find them and interact with them via a snake hook and zoom lens. And I've never hit "triple digits" (and don't really feel the need to), but I enjoy twisting the throttle on the k12rs through the multitude of twisty roads 'round here.

In the end, I've definitely altered my life to accomodate my daughter, but I have never felt I've missed anything. Afterall...that's my baby girl. Anything I have to give up for her is well worth it. Luckily, she's just like her daddy and enjoys the snakes, the rocks, the hiking and biking, and eventually, she wants to ride, too...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'EasternSierraBMW' for this post:
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Getting up to speed

For me, the idea of having kids meant the end of all my hobbies. That was, until we actually had kids, and I realized that you don't necessarily have to give up everything. So many of the guys I ride with today stepped away for the 15-20 years of their kids lives, and I can respect that fully.

Everyone's mindset and financial situations are vastly different, that's what makes the world go round. If you can keep the bike through the early years, then I say do it.

I got into motorcycling about 5 years ago (I was 35 at the time....why in the world did I wait that long!!??) and we didn't have kids yet. My wife thought it was cool, so she got a bike of her own. After we had our first child (our wonderful daughter Ava), she went into "MOMMY MODE" and sold the bike. She can't bring herself to operate a motorcycle any longer (at least right now) because she fears the worst. I understand her perspective completely. I think she doesn't trust in her abilities, even though she was a very smart and very safe rider when she did it. She will, however, ride on the back of mine, but only after we got all of our financial affairs in order first.

I still have a bike and ride it often. But, as others have said, I have a large life insurance policy on my head to compensate should anything bad happen. I certainly don't ever want anything bad to happen, but it is always possible. I am the type of personality to not let fear overcome me and change my mind. I am teaching my children the same virtues, but to be safe about it at the same time.

When I pull into the garage with my kids in the truck after work, and my daughter sees my motorcycle parked in there, she always says "VROOM VROOM" and wants to sit on it. That's all I need. I firmly plan on teaching both my kids how to safely operate a motorcycle when they are of age and responsibility to do so. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I won't force it.
Current miles: 9,600+
Remus Hexacone Silencer
BMW small top box with pad (that likes to fly away on it's own) - for the lady

Other Toys:
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Retirement is Fleeting

I took a 22 year hiatus from riding (including selling my two bikes) when my wife became pregnant. We were fortunate enough to have two great sons who are now adults and doing well.
I returned to riding when my youngest son graduated from college and my wife and kids were ok financially just in case.
I appreciate the riding life way more now than when I was young and my family now worries about the old man on that K1300S!
I paid my dues, I kept my promise, I worked hard, and now I'm riding and not looking back!
Mitchell
Old 11-17-2013, 01:44 AM

Way to go!!

All the best from downunder Australia

Old 11-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I don't see a problem, do you drive a car, cross the street, smoke, drink, change a light bulb?

Everything we do could cause us to hurt/kill ourselves. To stop doing something you enjoy seems a little daft to me.

Selfish...Moi
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasta
I don't see a problem, do you drive a car, cross the street, smoke, drink, change a light bulb?

Everything we do could cause us to hurt/kill ourselves. To stop doing something you enjoy seems a little daft to me.

Selfish...Moi
^^^^ THAT!
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Fuse lit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasta

Selfish...Moi

While I totally agree with your conclusion we have to be careful with the kinds of comparisons we make. Part of life, especially doing risky things, is all about risk management as a part of the intellectual fun of what we do. Sure, you can get squashed in a crosswalk or fall off a ladder changing a light bulb but it's obviously easier to manage the risks of crossing the street than riding a sport bike out in the twisties or in traffic. It does us all a disservice to minimize or trivialize the risks as a rationalization and we're better served by acknowledge that what we do is way more dangerous than driving a car and using that to keep a keen attitude about risk management. I lost a dear friend this year to an air show accident in Dayton. I lost 2 other young friends to cancer and heart disease. Tomorrow is not assured to any of us.

That's the role model and lesson I want my kids to take away from having a dad that likes to fly competitive aerobatics, travel to "risky" places, or ride a lot of motorcycling miles.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Smile Re: Motorcycling and children

I agree with you, I know the risks and ride accordingly. I plan overtakes, read the road etc. I don't feel I'm putting myself or family to undue risk when I ride.

I also want to see my next birthday.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Fuse lit...

I'm particularly sensitive to this topic. Pilots in general and aerobatic pilots in particular are guilty of saying things like "oh, it only looks dangerous - anyone can do it!" Maybe out of denial or some interest in setting minds at ease, we trivialize what we do. Then others go out and attempt this "easy/anyone can do it" stuff without proper training and equipment and end up leaving loved ones behind living the rest of their lives without their dad. Budd Davisson, a very prolific aviation writer wrote a very apropos article on this:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/pilo...stupidity.html

Better that we all accept openly that what we do in motorcycling, LD riding, sport bike romps in the hills, et. al are risky activities and stay alert to risk management. My kids know that I make a very determined effort to stay very well trained, buy and wear the proper gear, maintain my machines to a very high standard, and don't take stupid risks and know that even that isn't an assurance that our family could be wrecked by a texting, drunk soccer mom racing to pick up her kid from practice. The moral is "just do it" when the risks are properly managed.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Site Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Motorcycling and children

What a brilliant thread. I found it this morning while waiting for my 15yr old son to pull his finger out of his arse & get ready for his 1st major (400km +) pillion, must have been karma
I have been on bikes since I was 16 & could never pull too far away from them. I had no bike for 2 years after our 2nd son but that's as much as I lasted.
I have moderated my riding over the years definitely. I lost my dad young (not to bikes, he hated those, just had no issues with large quantities of cigs & booze ) & I don't want to leave mine in the same boat. I'm also self employed, so can't afford to lose the licence either
I have plenty of insurance so that front is covered.
I find that riding clears my head & releases stress better than medication or alcohol ever could. The savings in medication & booze alone have probably offset the insurance costs
My wife doesn't ride, not a big fan of pillion. She has her interests, I have mine, many overlap, some don't. We seem to get along fine (17years +)
Sometimes I get tired off the aversion to risk that the world seems to be developing. If your times up, it's up. Simple as that. You might as well enjoy the journey & leave some good stories for those left behind
Thanks again & safe riding
Old 01-11-2014, 05:43 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

My wife never really bothered with bikes since she was a teen, she had a Suzuki GP100 for a few years. Then no interest at all...Until I got the K12GT, I told her it was our bike and if she didn't enjoy pillion I would sell it on, well, she loved it, we toured France and Germany last year and she booked a week in Italy this year with a week either side to ride down and back. Gotta love her.

I'm working on her to take lessons and a test, she could ride the Monster with no problems, it's light and nippy without being really fast.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Getting up to speed

Just stumbled over this thread.

I'm 41 now, father of 3 (girl 10, boy 7, girl 3). I rode a bit in college and re-discovered motorcycling 3 years ago. I *had* to have a bike again, but I agonized over it. I felt and still feel like there's a measure of irresponsible to it. But I couldn't ignore what I wanted. My wife is an actuary for a life insurance company. She's not happy that I ride, but she followed me through my own risk analysis and agreed with me that it's not an unreasonable risk. She likes to say, "I'd insure you." She won't ride with me though, and she made sure we had life insurance before I bought my bike. She objects to me taking the kids out, but I plan on taking them out around the neighborhood at some point.

So, I ride. I feel a measure of guilt about it. But I still ride. My kids dominate my time and money, and I only get out for a few hours on Sunday mornings with nice weather. I cannot deny that coming back from those rides makes me feel more human. More alive. I continue to weigh the risks and sometimes I feel like a jerk for riding. Other times I feel like there are a thousand other things that are likely to kill me (just driving in a car for one).

My wife and I both agree though that you shouldn't put life off for some later date. Both of her parents are in failing health. Neither one of them is very "old" (around 70). And we both feel it would be a terrible tragedy to "finally retire" only to have a heart attack, or a stroke, or come down with cancer, or whatever.

You don't know how long you've got. So you had better make it count while you can.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Kindjal' for this post:
Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My great uncle John got me started early on Honda trail 50. I progressed to trail bikes and then street bikes at 16 and have been riding since. Both of my children started on Honda Ruckus and love it. My daughter loves to ride with me as long as an ice cream stop is included. She has made as long as 3 hour trips with me and is about to get her drivers license. She is then planning on taking MSF course.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Site Contributor

It's all ancient history now.

When I met my Ex I was still cutting my teeth in the then burgeoning SoCal motorcycle messenger biz, and she had a daughter that just turned 6yo. I was always somewhat a fatalist by nature; but settling down with a ready made family probably served to temper my temerarious side. The step-daughter LOVED it when I'd pick her up from school with the bike and took great pride in lording it over her male classmates.
A close encounter of the potentially violent kind with a cage doing the classic left turn into your path offered the epiphany of how much I valued getting home safely for them one evening just 3 miles from home. I actually chased down the cager and came close to dragging him out of his car so I could beat the stupid out of him for his vapid awareness.

13 years later my wife and I could no longer agree on pizza toppings let alone anything that mattered, and the daughter had been long taught by the wife to believe I was responsible for everything bad in the world. We divorced, the "family" disolved. But I'll always remember a couple of instances seeing the innocence of the daughter's once tiny young face twisted in uncontrolable emotion out of concern for her 'daddy' and the profession/life I led.

We often can't fight what our soul compels us to do. But being a fatalist can also be taken to selfish extremes. The photos in this thread should remind all with family too look twice before launching from a light, or dissuade from reaching for another possible 2mph out of a corner when doing "our thing"; Because you got someone home who will never understand, and will always hurt terribly if you're judgment is dead wrong.

Rubber down brothers

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,538 Times in 720 Posts

My son has been riding with me since he was 9. He is 11 now. We use a belt that goes around me that he can hold on to and I can always see and feel his hands.
My son also has his own dirt bike (he paid for half of it) and respect the whole experience to take it seriously.
I came home from work tonight and the first thing he said was " can we go for a ride?"

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'trevorf' for this post:
Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Fuse lit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf

I had this exact bike that I bought new in 1980. I put a Piranha quarter fairing, low bars, and rear sets on it and used it for my "sports/touring" bike

Wes
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,538 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
I had this exact bike that I bought new in 1980. I put a Piranha quarter fairing, low bars, and rear sets on it and used it for my "sports/touring" bike

Wes

Thanks Wes, funny thing about my son, you would think he would be all about the new Beemer but he loves my old 750. He lets me know if he thinks I'm not riding it enough.

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
Old 03-14-2014, 04:17 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Never had any kids, well none that I know about and almost always been riding a motorcycle since I was 13. These posts are quite enlightening and I have always given the topic a lot of thought.

I believe they would be put on a trail bike and let them tear up some dirt asap. Once they are of size and mentality to understand the street, then they could ride with me.

They could ride the pavement when 18 years old, but with track day instruction and experience first of all.

We have lost a cousin when riding with her boyfriend and crashed their motorcycle on pavement, a cousin when his horse fell, an aunt and a brother due to drunk drivers. In the end, it is Karma...

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:34 PM

I think my son drives his car better because I'm a bike rider.

He may pay more attention.

I wish cars had bluetooth devices where the I-phone would turn off at any speed over 5 mph....

The radio was the distraction when i got my license.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 PM

Today - an epic 150mile fast ride out with my 12yo son on the K, through England's finest country roads with a mate on his Tuono.

My son riding solo

Old 05-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,365 Times in 851 Posts

Sunday Drive....

http://www.break.com/pictures/sunday-drive-2607680
Old 05-10-2014, 08:45 PM

Thanks BMW!!

Love it

All the best folks for Mother's Day

Merlin in au
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 AM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW

Most of these photos are so sorry and the majority of these people need to do some time.

I'm not a prude and I do not judge on a whim, but what about the defenseless little ones? Thanks "BMW" for refreshing my mind, there is still scum on our streets.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:02 PM

Honey mooned on a R75/6...had two kids and continued to ride while sharing lots of family time with them. Introduced both to motorcycling, BMW rallies and rides at a young age. Son now 33 is a BMW Master Tech and Service Writer at Gateway BMW in St. Louis, MO. Daughter now 31 has no interest in motorcycles. Both of them live life full (in their own ways) like their parents have done all their lives...can't ask for anything more.

They also got to experience snow skiing, golf, shooting sports, hunting, power boats, and water sports, in addition to the normal school offerings, as they grew into adult hood. Activities they can enjoy throughout their lives.

That's how we roll!

Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw)
Black '02 K1200RS (sold 4/2017)
Knights of the Roundel BMW Riders #333
Member Iron Butt Association
Life Member NRA
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Entering the on-ramp

This is a great topic that I can relate to right now in my life. I'm 38 and have always been passionate about motorcycles. I sold my GSXR 750 9 years ago when my wife became pregnant. My marriage has just very recently ended so I looked to get back to my roots. I'm awaiting arrival of a beautiful 2009 k1300s that I bought on ebay. To say the least I'm very excited. I've been buying all the required gear and having fun doing it. I raced club races several years ago but somehow my old equipment no longer fits. Anyways, I'm extremely close to my son and he's truly my whole world. My excitement has definitely been toned down by a fear in the back of my mind of what if something happens to me? I feel very selfish actually. I will take him for rides as well and he'll be protected as well. I want this to be a great thing for both of us and it can be. Safety is a choice. Unfortunately, having fun on these things can push that choice in a new direction. I'm going to do my best and try to just enjoy being on 2 wheels, as well as a proud father. I don't think life gets much better than that.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rene101' for this post:
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Motorcycling is my pursuit of happiness.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K-evin S' for this post:
Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Twisted Wrister

My riding career was very much a 2-up thing. Once my wife got pregnant, riding got cut way back. Once a second child came along, it just happened that my 85 k100RS got parked in the garage and not touched - for 10 years.

I've also never offered to take my kids for a ride as I don't want to be responsible for them (or anyone else) taking up motorcycling and then crashing. If they truly want to ride, they'll have to discover it on their own. In fact I told my oldest daughter (now 24) last week that she'll have to get her mother's permission first if I was to ever take her for a ride.

I used to put about 12,000 miles a year on my bike. It that dropped 90% with the first child, and 100% with the second. Only a divorce got me back on the bike, but never to the extent I had before. My new K1300s has put the itch back into me though.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 12-16-2014, 05:55 PM

Craig writes;

Quote:
My new K1300s has put the itch back into me though.

Enjoy your rides, take the photos, (great photo site you have!) smell the roses, don't want to get there too quick, listen to the warnings that come up.

You don't have to crash but that takes listening.

I only know this from my own silliness

My Son rides, but it was he who got me back into it, then he left it and I kept going, and now he is back in and loving it.

All the best and thanks for telling your story here.

Merlin in oz
Old 12-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin geikie
You don't have to crash but that takes listening.

I'd like to think that, but I've totaled 3 of my 6 BMW's. My ex-wife almost lost her leg in the first big crash, and did lose 3 inches of a femur, plus spent 3 years in a cast from it. I broke my back in the second one, and a collarbone in the third.

I just feel like I don't ever want to 'talk someone into riding'. Something this risky needs to be their own idea.

I once loaned my R90s to a buddy for a quick test drive out in the country. He managed to crash it within 10 miles. (In a very stupid way.) Lesson learned there too.

That said, if I died in a crash on the K1300s, it wouldn't be a tragedy at my age. Actually, it might be the best way to go. I've seen worse ways.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Zealot of Beer

Oops, forgot:
Yes, I have children, and they ride pillion with me.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazcraig
I'd like to think that, but I've totaled 3 of my 6 BMW's. My ex-wife almost lost her leg in the first big crash, and did lose 3 inches of a femur, plus spent 3 years in a cast from it. I broke my back in the second one, and a collarbone in the third.

I just feel like I don't ever want to 'talk someone into riding'. Something this risky needs to be their own idea.

I once loaned my R90s to a buddy for a quick test drive out in the country. He managed to crash it within 10 miles. (In a very stupid way.) Lesson learned there too.

That said, if I died in a crash on the K1300s, it wouldn't be a tragedy at my age. Actually, it might be the best way to go. I've seen worse ways.

3 totaled bikes, wow....What was the cause of your crashes? There's calculated risks in everything, the idea is to minimize risks as life circumstances change...

Everyone in life is trying to accomplish something big not realizing that life is made up of the little things.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM

Yup I am a careful rider, over the years I have found whenever i do something a little bold, then there is often a big hint of dire consequence. Just riding here in oz is dangerous enough, with poor rural roads, texting drivers and folk just don't see ya at times, it seems, no matter how bright your lights are.

As I said, my Son got me back into it, left and I carried on on my own, then he started riding a friend's GS and got that feeling and got himself a GS. We do all our own work, where we possibly can and just take it easy on the roads. knowing that death is just around the corner or at the next intersection or lurking behind that big ol tree on its own up there. So we value our lives and our bikes and the pleasure that we get just from having our jaunts and picnics.

Here are some pics and wishing you all in at I-BMW a wonderful, relaxing and safe, Festive Season.

All the best now.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'merlin geikie' for this post:
Old 12-20-2014, 11:57 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO_RIDER
3 totaled bikes, wow....What was the cause of your crashes? There's calculated risks in everything, the idea is to minimize risks as life circumstances change...

Those were the really bad crashes, though I've only been down a couple of other times.

The first - old man pulled out in front of us while we were tooling down a country road. Totaled R90s, and my wife's leg. 1977.

The second - I was passing a car on in the right lane. He had just turned left, and I was coming off a red light and just passing on the right, when he SUDDENLY decided he had to turn right into a grocery store (from the left lane of a 4-lane road in Phoenix). I rammed into the side of him and cartwheeled to the sidewalk. Two hairline fractures of my vertabrae. 1984.

The last - Was trying to catch up to my buddy, and had just passed a line of cars following a semi on a 2-lane road outside Phoenix. The road started curving a bit and I was coming up on a double-yellow, so pushed even faster and then pulled in front of the semi. It was at this point I saw a police car coming in the other direction, and I hit the brakes extra hard. Unfortunately, it was morning, and there was a moist spot on the road. Front brake locked at 85mph or so, and we went down, between the oncoming cop car and the semi. Bike slid about 350 feet into a small tree and totaled itself. My wife and I slid/rolled down the road, in front of the frantically braking semi. The semi came to a stop on the shoulder between us and the bike... I had a broken collarbone, probably from the helmet. Ruined two sets of custom Harro leathers along with the bike. 1987.

The last would not have happened with antilock brakes. Nothing would have stopped the first two.

One of my daughters told me tonight that she has always been scared of bikes, after looking at her mother's leg. The other said she was scared to ride one because she figured she would like it so much she'd want to ride. ("It's in my blood.")
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Getting up to speed

I have two kids, one pretty much grown up and the other rapidly on her way. Neither ride with me, and I can't say my family entirely approves of my passion. I ride daily in a large city and the dangers are everywhere. I totally see where they're coming from. That said, as I age I find that my riding hours increase. As responsibilities at work have increased and stress levels have heightened, I simply can't fathom giving up what has provided me with such joy. I don't think I could survive the daily grind without an hour of the day completely to myself. Had it not been for my bikes I could have very well dropped dead of a heart attack by now.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Frank Petrarch' for this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Entering the on-ramp

What a great thread. I can certainly empathise with all those who have decided not to ride while your children were young. I didn't ride at all when the kids were small (I didn't have any spare cash!). I got back on two wheels in 2002, and riding has become a very large part of my life. The only downside was that my wife wouldn't ride pillion. She is not against bikes, it's simply because she finds the pillion seat on my 996 so uncomfortable. She has spent the last three years asking me to buy another bike, but I just couldn't let go of the Ducati. Last month she finally cracked and agreed that if I bought a more 'comfortable' bike I could keep the 996 - bingo! I've had the k12S for two weeks now, and I'm really enjoying riding it. It's also great to have the wife on the back again (although I did have to buy her some new kit), but it has certainly been worth it.

2007 K1200S Blue
Old 04-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Getting up to speed

I raised 5 kids, all of whom rode as soon as their feet could reach the passenger pegs, and all of whom went on to ride on their own. I did take a brief hiatus when the youngest were little to help out with the extra work of young kids, not because I felt I had to stop being "suicidal" on a bike.
It's "irresponsible" to have kids and not enough life insurance. Other than that you gotta live your life too.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2 kids here! They have both rode with me, 1 more than the other.

"Love is that feeling that you get when you love something as much as your motorcycle"

2015 BMW K1300S Motorsport - My mistress!
2007 Suzuki V-Strom - Traded for the mistress
Old 06-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I think if you have the means to ride while supporting children and paying for life insurance then have at it. As long as the kids are not going without so a parent can ride then it is all good. Being around a motorcycle is a good thing for children because it can hopefully help them gain respect for them and be a better overall driver in the future.

"Love is that feeling that you get when you love something as much as your motorcycle"

2015 BMW K1300S Motorsport - My mistress!
2007 Suzuki V-Strom - Traded for the mistress
Old 06-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Entering the on-ramp

My son Thomas, 21, recently passed the basic course offered by the MSF and obtained his license. He had been looking at a 2 cylinder Ninja 650 for quite some time so I promised I would get this for him and his mom once he passed the course and got his license. He has been driving it to work and we got to go on our first lengthy ride yesterday. I had him fitted with full gear. I can't say that I am not nervous when he leaves for work on the bike however my brother and I both started right in at age 16 with road bikes and still ride them to work daily. A lot has changed with our sport over the past 40 years, mainly the amount of traffic and distracted drivers. We just have to be more observant now and I am trying to teach him all the things to look for. When we got back from our ride he said did you see the facial expression on the guy in the red truck pulling out from the side street when we went through the one town. It made me proud to know he is taking some of the advice to heart. It was exciting to see him dressed in full gear ready to go and it is good that I have someone to ride with on the weekends.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Been riding since 8yrs old and 49 now. It's part of who I am. I take my sons with me on rides as well from time to time and they love the experience as well.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Fuse lit...

There's a guy over on the CBR1000RR forum that is 21 years old with a toddler in tow that just bought a used bike for $6,000 and got his loan denied and was carping about how the bank was mistreating him. I told him that getting his loan kinked up and having to give the bike back was probably the best thing that ever happened to him.

This past year I've read of at least three different parents that were involved in fatal motorcycling accidents and in one case left an orphaned son behind when his triple digit run through traffic ended badly.

[old coot] WTF if wrong with kids these days? [/old coot]

I've ridden and raced motorcycles throughout my life. I fly an aerobatic competitions and dive an airplane at the ground at 220 mph. But not without a healthy dose of respect and risk management, and comfort in the knowledge that everyone is going to be OK if I'm gone or disabled. Having a family totally changed my notion of my own lack of immortality and responsibility.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,815 Times in 1,069 Posts

Has your perspective changed in the last few years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
Was Skyping an old friend today, one who I've blazed thousands of K12 miles with. A bunch of you know him....
He's retired from motorcycling now as a result of 'kids' (says it's irresponsible).

Got me thinking, how many of you have children and 'ride'?

- Do you believe it's 'irresponsible' or are they compatible?
- If you don't as yet have children, would you maintain motorcycling endeavors should you have them?

As always, a POLL is above but freely discuss herein
Old 09-28-2016, 06:56 PM

The freedom to ride a motorcycle, and survive, is earned with taking responsibility very seriously.

Why not?

Greetings from downunder oz