I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Has your BMW K bike experienced a Cam Chain Failure?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Has your BMW K bike experienced a Cam Chain Failure?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Re: did the plug seal with an o-ring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

You're welcome.
The next time you're over here, we can have a beer and talk about all the stuff we can't remember
Say Hi to Goril.

How about next month
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Consultant & Former Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to locus Send a message via Yahoo to locus Send a message via Skype™ to locus
Re: did the plug seal with an o-ring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
How about next month
Sorry James, the cash-flow aint streaming hard enough....too much frozen still...
PS! If I was to have an Indian-name these days, it must be: 'Running expenses....'

But wahooo... it would have been very nice to meet you all in Tejas.....

Ride Fast - Ride Safe !
There is no road to happiness, happiness is the road
Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to mrlajoie Send a message via MSN to mrlajoie Send a message via Yahoo to mrlajoie
Re: Has your BMW K bike experienced a Cam Chain Failure?

No failure yet, but I'm getting worried. Last season I complained of the loud rattle coming from the cam chain when I start the bike after it sits for a couple of days. The dealer installed something that was supposed to help. Today I started the bike after it had been sitting for about 5 days, temps was about 50 outside, and the same God awful rattle happened.

Questions is, what do I do about it. I've complained and they installed the BMW 'fix' and it didn't work. Am I just supposed to wait for it to fail completely?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Twisted Wrister

Had my used 2005 K1200S modified when I got it at around 12,000 miles. Larger tensioner and jump guard. Silent starting since.
If the modified tensioner (and jump guard?) are not preventing chain lash, maybe it was already stretched by the time the mods were done?
Given what can happen if that cam chain does jump, I'd get it sorted and not wait for the potential damage.
Am still sad to see a company like BMW turn out bikes with these problems.
Having a strong presence in World Superbikes may win them a new customer base, but the new Beemers certainly ain't built like my '97 K1200RS. Customers shouldn't expect to be used as beta test riders, unless the company is going to pay them accordingly.
I will always put build quality above outright performance, so not sure which marque I'd turn to if buying a new bike now . . .
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to mrlajoie Send a message via MSN to mrlajoie Send a message via Yahoo to mrlajoie

I spoke with my service dept and they got on the phone with BMWNA who authorized them to pull it apart and inspect it. Before they actually tear things apart they are going to get a spare sprocket and chain in their inventory to compare my existing parts with their new parts. If there is any wear they are going to replace the parts. When this work gets completed I'll let you know how it goes. This is only my second time in for this issue, hopefully they will get it sorted out.

On the bright side, if they change the parts out BMW does have a 2 year parts warranty. Anyone know that if these warranty parts fail and the engine blows chunks if they would cover the entire engine or just the parts that are under warranty?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM
CABNFVR's Wingman

Just in case, make sure they have the jump guard installed over the crankshaft sprocket.
'07 G650 X-Challenge
I work for Keyser Söze
Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
On the bright side, if they change the parts out BMW does have a 2 year parts warranty.

That's 2 years parts and labor. If you do the work, the warranty would not cover labor.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
Before they actually tear things apart they are going to get a spare sprocket and chain in their inventory to compare my existing parts with their new parts.

Both sprockets together with the chain, come as a "kit" together under the same part number. Not available separately, so if they determine there is chain stretch, you will get everything (chain and sprockets) replaced.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Site Contributor

That's exactly what they did and so far everything is MUCH better. The chain evidently had significant stretch. Interestingly on the Service Ticket under reason for repair it states 'Customer states loud noise during start' and on a separate line it states their comments as 'This is a known issue with this motorcycle'.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Send a message via Skype™ to lazeyjack

I have no idea why BMW does not fit duplex chain and sprocket, seems logical and would only made the casing slightly wider and it'd make a far smother and stroner drive train to the cams
Does anyone know if the chain is metric or imperial size?
I do know some of the better class of overhead cam engines I worlked on light years ago were duplex
Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

A fellow over on the UK list just had his engine stop at start up, we know why. An 06 K12S with no jump guard. Just a little advice, no jump guard, get one. And the up graded chain tensioner.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Debbie's Servant

I need to order a inch lb or small Nm torque wrench and get this little update taken care of.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
It is a definite Maybe

lEE
You could rent one
When to torque ANYTHING, make sure you lightly grease thread and head, or you will get a false read
I have seen a 5 foot long torque wrench break, , screwing down a 15/16 cap screw for 855 cu inch Cummins diesel
Alas the mechanic landed on a heap on the floor
It was my work, before I started boat building
I had mine done at San Fran BMW cos I had no tools here
Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

Well I thought about it over night and I have to comment. I agree that most engine head bolts and cylinder bolts are torqued with lube oil on them. All the large diesels I have worked on and just about all the other engines, the manual says to lube them. This is reduction in friction is calculated into the torque setting. The torque is there to get a calculated stretch in the fastener. Many other bolts are meant to be torqued dry. This also implys clean too. No rust or crud stray oil. If you lube a bolt that is meant to be torqued dry, it lets the fastener rotate past the point it would have stopped if it were dry. This stretches things past the desired point. Not a good thing. I recommend following the factory instructions. A bolt that really needs to be accurately torqued is done by degrees of rotation. A uniform base setting is done. One that equalizes things but puts no real stress on things. Then a degree of rotation is done. Accurate stretch is accomplished. Large bolts may use a hydraulic rotator set to a specific pressure. We don't even get close to this.
So, unless the factory spec is to lube the fastener, don't. (this includes neverseize on spark plugs expecially). Clean and dry bolts and a reasonable torque wrench. I know many folks think their arm/hand is calibrated. Like many, I have been working on machinery for a living for years, I still use a torque wrench for every fastener that has a spec. I know I could get away with not doing this probably, but I don't try very often. Buena Suerte.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

As an A&P mechanic for the last 27 years I concur with Beech completely.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:50 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Well I thought about it over night and I have to comment. I agree that most engine head bolts and cylinder bolts are torqued with lube oil on them. All the large diesels I have worked on and just about all the other engines, the manual says to lube them. This is reduction in friction is calculated into the torque setting. The torque is there to get a calculated stretch in the fastener. Many other bolts are meant to be torqued dry. This also implys clean too. No rust or crud stray oil. If you lube a bolt that is meant to be torqued dry, it lets the fastener rotate past the point it would have stopped if it were dry. This stretches things past the desired point. Not a good thing. I recommend following the factory instructions. A bolt that really needs to be accurately torqued is done by degrees of rotation. A uniform base setting is done. One that equalizes things but puts no real stress on things. Then a degree of rotation is done. Accurate stretch is accomplished. Large bolts may use a hydraulic rotator set to a specific pressure. We don't even get close to this.
So, unless the factory spec is to lube the fastener, don't. (this includes neverseize on spark plugs expecially). Clean and dry bolts and a reasonable torque wrench. I know many folks think their arm/hand is calibrated. Like many, I have been working on machinery for a living for years, I still use a torque wrench for every fastener that has a spec. I know I could get away with not doing this probably, but I don't try very often. Buena Suerte.
How then would a new fitter of mechanic ever get a feel for the bolt, screw thread?
I have to disagree in all but very critical situations
I have never torqued a plug in my life, in iron or alloy
Neither have I had a failure from over tightening or loosening
Sure if you are a man who never assemblies things then a torque wrench may come into play as essential
Some of the sits I can think of that you cannot do without are the hot sets on Cummins injectors
the other day I was refitting the wheel on my bike
I nipped em and tightened to where I guess they should be, my friend came along with his torque wrench and was surprised at how so very close I was
it is my opinion, what I do
But I respect others points of view , except a tradesman will never learn with a t wrench for all
tell me, where are you going to find values for you 1936 big end bolts on your tractor?
Modern mechanics, well they get stuff out of a box and for it
Do they ever turn up a part? use reemers? skim comms?
Make pistons?
BMW is bound to give figures to protect its users
but I sure as heck don’t choose a mechanic cos he has a torquewrench in his hand
there are many ways to use this tool, bring it on, off on? how many times?
If it says dry fine but common engineering sense says lube,
Thanks once more for your help Beech.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazeyjack
How then ...
Howthen indeed. I once proposed a Physics problem to my instuctor but we had no equipment readily available to a) measure the original input nor b) create a robotic arm for comparrison.

The problem I proposed (and my proof in support of the ability of a human to "feel" with a realtively high percentage of acuracy) was ...... what would it take to build a robotic arm that could crumple a piece of paper and fling it 10 feet into a 15" round wastecan?

A human can do this by "feel" and hit the target in the high 90% range. So yeah, I think a good mechanic can get really really close to a commonly used torque factor.

But I still used a torque wrench for head bolts and the pressure plate.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Howthen indeed. I once proposed a Physics problem to my instuctor but we had no equipment readily available to a) measure the original input nor b) create a robotic arm for comparrison.

The problem I proposed (and my proof in support of the ability of a human to "feel" with a realtively high percentage of acuracy) was ...... what would it take to build a robotic arm that could crumple a piece of paper and fling it 10 feet into a 15" round wastecan?

A human can do this by "feel" and hit the target in the high 90% range. So yeah, I think a good mechanic can get really really close to a commonly used torque factor.

But I still used a torque wrench for head bolts and the pressure plate.
Intersting the human brain is a fine tool
I was not suggesting that your average fiddler do this
But if you spend you whole life on the tools, you know allright One day you may be using inch lb torquing injectors,(not hold down screws) next with a 500lb wrench doing head caps
Then when stuff gets to big as in ships big end brgs you are using mech assisted tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Debbie's Servant

I see nobody with a K1300 has voted Yes. Has anyone heard of a failure on a K1300?

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Pretty sure you will be ok Lee, you did both bikes , right? I am waiting to see if the refund those of us who are outta pocket on this mod.
You riding this time of year?
Will be in Montana This Feb, no bike
Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Pretty sure you will be ok Lee, you did both bikes , right? I am waiting to see if the refund those of us who are outta pocket on this mod.
You riding this time of year?
Will be in Montana This Feb, no bike

I'll take them to the shop in the spring and get it done.
6 deg F today with snow on the ground.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM
It is a definite Maybe

they should do it gratis, ifc not just practice the mod yourself on Debbies bike
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
they should do it gratis,

At first when I checked this fall, they would install the guard if I had service work done at the same time. This winter they called me back and said we could stop in anytime and they would install the guards no charge.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
At first when I checked this fall, they would install the guard if I had service work done at the same time. This winter they called me back and said we could stop in anytime and they would install the guards no charge.
good news, pleased for you
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Getting up to speed

Well, we had a decent day here 2 weeks ago and I rode the GT to my dealer for the 18,000 mile service ( bike is still there due to weather ). I have had a 20+ year relationship with the dealer, mainly the parts man and Service Manager. I've bought at least 10 bikes there. And I trust their opinion and advice. Parts manager has 28 years at this dealership and SM has 20...they know bikes.

We've had numerous discussions about my GT since I bought it used there last year with 12,000 miles. We have had lots of discussions about what has been posted about these bikes on the internet and what their experience in the dealership has been. Anyhow, I decided to let them make the call as to whether to repalce the cam chain, sprockets and other assorted parts if they felt they were needed. I was back up there 2 days after dropping it off and it was on the lift, with side panels off. SM brought me into the shop to show me something. He had removed the top top the original cam tensioner to expose the innerds. There was a small bit of shaft sticking up that was the cam tensioner shaft. By pushing down with my finger, I could feel it make contact with the chain. There was less than a 1/4" of shaft exposed,so it was making contact with the chain in less than that. He said just based on that there was no need to be replacing the chain and sprockets at this time. He has had other bikes in there where that shaft wasn't even sticking up, and replaced the parts on those bikes. I talked to them on Thursday and they had finished the service. All valves were within spec and they had installed the the jump guard. New bolts and new gasket as well. And as a piece of mind, since my chain was relatively tight, they had installed the new tensioner at no charge. Pretty nice.

As I said, we have talked and thought about the issues at start up many times. For me, and my SM agrees, the only reason BMW swithched the oil spec was to help energize the tensioner at start up. It had nothing to do with the clutch. 5w at start up means less viscosity ( thinner ) to the oil and synthetic means less viscoity change due to ambient temp change. For me personally, I practice the single finger start up on this bike, which means index finger only on the throttle side. Never give it an additional twist when starting, which is when most failures have occurred.

I thought long and hard about selling this bike due the stuff I have read. I really love riding it and feels it compliments my GS and gives me a very nice stable. Now that the service work is done and they have had a chance to really go over it, I look forward to getting back home........and keeping it.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'gezerbike' for this post:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I had the guard installed and I ordered the tensioner. I feel like it is worth the peice of mind to install it.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Site Contributor

I had the jump guard installed last week under warranty. Hopefully, I won't run into any problems now. I'm at 70,000 miles on my 07KS.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Anyone know out there if cam chain failure is something I should be concerned with on my 2012 K13S or did BMW ever address this issue and make corrections?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzdog
Anyone know out there if cam chain failure is something I should be concerned with on my 2012 K13S or did BMW ever address this issue and make corrections?
There are some slight differences on the K1300 cam chain guides and the part number for the cam chain is different so it is thought that these might be responses to the chain tension issue, who can say. But cam chain problems seem to be rare on the 1300 so seemingly something was done. In any event installing the 'jump guard' is still a good idea.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzdog

I believe the jump guard was installed at the factory starting sometime in 2011.
You can remove the silver plug on the right side and check.

No guard on my bike in this picture.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

This thread definitely relates to my current situation. I just purchased a 2011 KS and contacted BMW to see if my bike actually had the cam chain jump guard and whether there were any open service cases on the bike. The service technician stated that there is and open case for a cam chain tensioner adjustment (covered by BMW). However, I'm assuming that I will still have to pay to add the jump guard. Should'nt cost as much if they have to open the same cover for warantied work (I hope).
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM

The jump guard should be covered as well.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'millers' for this post:
Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

That would be ideal! Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Angry Re: Has your BMW K bike experienced a Cam Chain Failure?

K1200 bad design poor service
Hi there
I am in Sydney Australia.
I have had this problem with cam chain derailing after a tensioner was fitted.
Twice !
First time I contacted BMW to see if there were any other issues , this was late jan 2013 two months after "retrofit " bulletin went out about "guide rail " BMW offered me no information regarding this recall and I will call it a recall as anything else is an insult to my and your intelligence.
How cunning are BMW to get the copy writers to create a new phrase ie "retrofit " and that automatically distances them from any responsibility or acknowledgement of an obvious fault In Design.
Why else would they research ,design , tool up and produce a new part ???
And then fit free of charge after $1,303 damage has occurred.
I shall be taking them to a tribunal then ACCC for neglegence and then I shall go to every tv channel.
This is obviously a major problem for them and dancing around the "recall vs retrofit " is one thing but a clear email to head office in Melbourne and then Germany asking "have you BMW had any issues with Cam Chain Tensioners " two months after bulletin.
There answer was I should not have gone outside of the BMW network , the very network that failed to inform me I actually required a tensioner to begin with.
This actually forces BMW riders to remain in there network , alone a serious offence in Australia.
I loyally gave my dollars to the ex BMW mechanic now out on his own as he was the person who allerted me to the rattle to begin with.
How would we be if Yamaha , Honda etc demanded that all bikes be fixed my only them ?
Someone needs to stand up to these people.
Thanks to this web site I have gotten enough encouragement and knowledge to realize I am not alone.
After this me and BMW finito !!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers
The jump guard should be covered as well.

Millers, spoke to my local BMW service manager. They are taking care of everything! My appointment is on the 8th of July. Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Yeah, BMW is slowly stepping up on this, only about 5 years late. Maybe they will acknowledge the clutch and ball joint issues somewhere around 2018.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'millers' for this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers
Yeah, BMW is slowly stepping up on this, only about 5 years late. Maybe they will acknowledge the clutch and ball joint issues somewhere around 2018.
And ABS motors !!

For true issues (not whining because, well, things do just break) go here
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I see nobody with a K1300 has voted Yes. Has anyone heard of a failure on a K1300?

Still no K1300 cam chain failures listed in the poll.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 09-29-2013, 05:27 PM
It is a definite Maybe

Lee
In my Europe travels I have not heard of failure either
Relax and enjoy mate
Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Site Contributor

2007 K1200GT,
94178km i-e 58861 mi.
Most importantly: during the pre-SSR rallye, ready for the SSR
Had a 2 year extended warranty, that ended 6 months sooner
1331 Cdn$, i-e U$1220. (at yesterday rate)

Parts: There all in french on my invoice, but here's what I had posted sooner.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Shooting the gap

Got a call from Max BMW to inform me that my '09 K 1300 S as well as my sons '09 K1300S were elegible for a chain jump guard inatall.....at no cost. Offered to pick up our bikes as well free of charge ( I'm 45 miles from Troy). Thank you Ben (Maxs' brother i think)
I had one incident of a really noisy start-up. Never happeed again. I also make sure the first start after the bike has sat for more than a couple of days is with the bike off the kickstand.
Now if they could only get up my driveway......It's covered with snow & ice right now.

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too tired to fight he'll just shoot you.
I'm the first guy you see when you come to after saying "Hold my beer and watch this !"
Old 12-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Site Contributor

Wow. Nice service from Max BMW.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 03-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My 2007 jumped timing saturday, 40,000 miles, ran good, no problems, no noise, shut it down when I parked, engine was locked up when I tried to start it. #2 intake valves contacted piston but appear ok. very disappointing
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cm2echo' for this post:
Old 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

K1200R 2006, 85,000km
I put the jump guard before.
When removing the gearbox to refurbish it, I was touching the cam chain, and noticing how loose it felt.
Took the jump guard out and was showing my siblings how beautiful mechanical parts look.
Then suddenly the chain move a few notches on it own.
That would have destroyed my engine.
parts bought:
- new guardrails
- new chain
- new sprockets
- new tensioner
- all new semi-spheres when i check the gap.

Haven't done it yet...
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mondrage' for this post:
Old 04-14-2014, 01:15 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm2echo
My 2007 jumped timing saturday, 40,000 miles, ran good, no problems, no noise, shut it down when I parked, engine was locked up when I tried to start it. #2 intake valves contacted piston but appear ok. very disappointing

Did you have the jump guard and new tensioner installed?

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 07-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Getting up to speed

When do you check/replace the timing chain on the Rs?
It has 115k on clock and I know most cars you do them just before or pretty close to the 100k mark!
Just try to find out if it's been done or not from previous owner
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,012 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renshaw
When do you check/replace the timing chain on the Rs?
It has 115k on clock and I know most cars you do them just before or pretty close to the 100k mark!
Just try to find out if it's been done or not from previous owner

Raighne,
I see in your profile that your bike is a K1200RS (2001). On this engine, there is no official recommended mileage to change Timing-chain. The only recommended interval is for the timing-chain lower guide (pushed by tensioner) and it is way conservative (at 60,000 km) as experience shows that you can wait 100,000 to 150,000 km in most cases. In fact, many have checked their guide at 100,000 KM (including me) and found very little wear. Most honest BMW mechanics will tell you: Don't bother to go there at recommended interval (60,000 KM or 36,000 miles)

The older "brick-engine" (K100 and K1100) had a very similar timing-chain and gear system (with a slightly different chain tensionner) and on these the timing-chain would last more than 300,000 KM.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 03-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Cam chain failure

recently (last year)became the joyous owner of a 1300r. Only prob I've had is a cell collapsing in the battery . But to the topic of camchains my sons f650 just lost a cam chain and bounced valves on piston.. Anyone else know of this being a common issue. Mind you its a 2001 model with 70000km under its wheels.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 PM

Also, mine is a 2010 k1300r, just turned 22000 km. ( I've put 9000k on in 6 months or so) what is this cam chain problem and should I be concerned?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,775 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarnes
Also, mine is a 2010 k1300r, just turned 22000 km. ( I've put 9000k on in 6 months or so) what is this cam chain problem and should I be concerned?
There is a recall on cam chain guards. Check with your dealer to see if yours has been done. If so, nothing to worry about.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 03-09-2015, 12:21 AM

Thanks for that....but what I do read into that is that I should worry if it has not been done,which I doubt very much as its always been serviced by an ex bmw mech! Best way to check is remove the plug as above? And if it's been done before what does the new one look like?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:38 AM

Sorry quick Google found what I was lookn for!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Site Contributor

Based on the poll, about 14% of KS owners have experienced a cam chain failure. Although the statistic may be biased toward folks that have had a failure, it suggests that the failure rate is significant without the jump guard. So, yes I would be worried and looking to getting the guard installed as soon as you can. Worth the peace of mind.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 10:33 PM

Thanks will check today I reckon!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:59 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Smile Re: Has your BMW K bike experienced a Cam Chain Failure?

Keep a eye on it
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 04-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

The hydraulic tensioner on my K1300 worked reasonably well but if left for a week the initial rattle of a loose chain was evident and so you are reliant on the jump guard, I fitted a manual tensioner to avoid a loose chain on start up, manual tensioner's work fine providing you know how to judge the pre-tension and are used in conjunction with a hyvo type cam chain, it will be a long time before this will need adjusting, almost fit and forget.
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 05-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Shooting the gap

No, The GT 07 still runs well at 75000 km. But i start it cautiously
Charles
S1000RR 11 white/blue/red, 11000 km, awsome
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles-Henri Jacques
No, The GT 07 still runs well at 75000 km. But i start it cautiously
Charles

Wadayamean by: i start it cautiously

I suggest you invest a few bucks and fix it
Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILHEAD

Press the starter with right hand, cross fingers with left hand.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILHEAD

Oilhead, I mean press the starter and don't race the engine as it starts. Run it slowly and the rattling stops.
Bye
Chuck
S1000RR 11 white/blue/red, 11000 km, awsome