I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via AIM to cgt Send a message via MSN to cgt
Final Drive Oil Milky

I recently noticed some light seepage around the final drive seal on the left hand side. When I changed the final drive oil, I noticed the oil was milky. Obviously some water has gotten inside the final drive. I plan on changing the seal this weekend.

Should I be worried about the bearings since they were exposed to moisture?

Will a couple of final drive oil changes in short intervals (50km) to flush out all the moisture be sufficient?
Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Re: Final Drive Oil Milky

Without a picture of the "milky" oil, rather hard to even make a conservative guess.

Have you used a high pressure water blaster on the bike?

Possibly the milky may have come from a build up of condensation within the final drive.
Whether you are doing short runs without getting a decent heat build up to evaporate said condensation.

I'd recommend changing FD oil more often than schedule, as it will give the first signs of it being unhappy.

180 ml, is not an expensive amount of oil to change. I'm changing mine every 5000 km.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:06 AM
Site Contributor

Have you been in texas the last couple of days

The older I get, the better I was

Old 08-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Wardy, please, do try & keep up.....bikes in Canada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox
Have you been in texas the last couple of days
Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgt
...When I changed the final drive oil, I noticed the oil was milky. ....Will a couple of final drive oil changes in short intervals (50km) to flush out all the moisture be sufficient?
It's worth a shot. I'd also "feel" the bearings by rotating the wheel when doing those oil changes. If it's not a lot of water and not a lot of time you are probably OK.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:37 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
Wardy, please, do try & keep up.....bikes in Canada...

I did say the last couple of days

The older I get, the better I was

Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,197 Posts

The K13 has a sealed ball bearing crown bearing and pinion. The oil bathes the gears. As mentioned don't power wash a bike. That 60mm seal is easy to change yourself. Remove the black cover, remove the retaining clip, shallow drill (carefully) a pilot hole or two for sheet metal screws and pull it out. Reverse to install,use a socket to locate the new seal. You just saved 100$ at the shop. The drain plug is Torx 45 and seals with an oring.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Shooting the gap

Is its true that, unlike in the past, the Final Drive cavity is not vented?

If this is true, and if the Final Drive oil was overfilled, then would it be likely to have a rear drive Seal failure?
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:22 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,197 Posts

That is exactly why BMW went from 220cc of oil to 180cc in the final drive. Needed more room for air compression when things got warm. The 220 cc fill would push oil past that 60mm seal.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Needed more room for air compression when things got warm.

You know this seems counter to good practice with respect to creating conditions that would allow air to be entrained into the Rear Diff Oil and thereby degrading it's lubrication capabilities. Maybe the air pressure is below some threshold at worst case conditions and thus it's OK...I'm no Tribologist by any stretch of the imagination.

I had a Transmission Input shaft Bearing failure on my '99 R1100S. Somehow the Vent had become clogged and air was subsequently entrained into the Transmission Oil during a trip. The first indication something was wrong was a "box of rocks" sound coming from the Transmission when in Neutral and Clutch Lever released. I replaced all six Trans Bearings as well as the Black Rubber Vent piece.

I subsequently switched from Spectro Gear Oil to Fuchs Silkolene Gear Oil and the Trans shifted better than ever. I'd read somewhere that Fuchs was at one time the Factory Fill for BMW Motorrad Transmissions.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via AIM to cgt Send a message via MSN to cgt

Thanks for all the suggestions, comments and advice.

I don't normally power wash my bike, and I don't think I did during this oil change interval. I did however get caught in a couple of heavy downpours. This summer has been crap weather for riding in Ontario!

I change the rear end oil at 10k km, when I do the engine oil. It doesn't take long and doesn't use that much oil.

I will change the oil seal shortly and maybe change the oil after 1k to make sure the water is out.

Good to know the bearing is sealed and the oil is only for the gears.