I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: K12 & 13 vibes, rattles and general harshness

Is there a part number or specification for this bearing so that those of us enterprising enough can source them from local bearing vendors?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I know I posted on here somewhere. Please post here if you find a supplier or any more info

The bearing number on the needle bearing that fits in the clutch gearwheel that attaches to the clutch basket on my 2007 K1200 R is

HK354530

NKE

L03

Hope this helps

Dusty
Old 12-02-2017, 03:28 AM
Entering the on-ramp

You can try Simplybearing.co.uk
The dimension of the bearing is inside 35mm outside 45mm width 30mm (drawn cup bearing)
There is another type of bearing ,better product, nk35/30tn same dimension as
hk354530.
They have both types.

Henrik
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'henrikhansen' for this post:
Old 12-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Ben, Just finished reading all the post on this issue - very interesting. My 1200GT was silky smooth until about 50,000 Km but now has the rattle and vibe issue. The dealer heree oin Thailand has replaced the clutch assembly twice but no improvement, suspects its gearbox but doesn't know what to do next. I'd like to do your mod but not possible here. What is the worst that can happen if I just keep riding and try to ignore the vibe?

Regards,
Mervyn Wilson,
Phuket,
Thailand.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve
Hi Ben, Just finished reading all the post on this issue - very interesting. My 1200GT was silky smooth until about 50,000 Km but now has the rattle and vibe issue. The dealer heree oin Thailand has replaced the clutch assembly twice but no improvement, suspects its gearbox but doesn't know what to do next. I'd like to do your mod but not possible here. What is the worst that can happen if I just keep riding and try to ignore the vibe?

Regards,
Mervyn Wilson,
Phuket,
Thailand.

Because the basket and gear oscillate around the hub and clutch plate dogs, the vibration actually wears the basket in this area and generally shortens the life of everything asossiated.
It also spoiled my enjoyment totally so had to be fixed or got rid of.
I'm sure BMW won't supply basic spares for the clutch as they are scared of catastrophic failures in this area if it is serviced and the gear/baskets life is extended and it then fails.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Shooting the gap

My K1300 goes in a couple of days, wonít be sorry to see it go, not because itís a bad bike itís not, it really does do everything and more but BMW are such a strange company if you have a problem, they give you the runaround to avoid fixing it, to such an extent that you donít want to deal with them again, Yamaha and Triumph are the complete opposite so thatís where you should spend your money if you want to feel you are a wanted customer.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Twisted Wrister

Sorry to hear that Ben, you are an asset to the community here.

So far my K13 has not vibrated that bad. I do feel like a valued BMW customer, but that is due to the dealership. They know my name when I come in and have done the homework on my bike (assuming I got an appointment). One time I showed up at closing on Sat evening with a worn front tire, they stayed an extra hour to accommodate me.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:33 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Just registered and have read this thread, because I am interested in adding one of these to my stable.

I have to add my experience with BMW warranty.

My 2000 R1100S was one year out of warranty, though it had only done 10K. My work commitments prevented me from riding as much as I wanted in the first few years of ownership.

It suffered from the lack of hardening on the input shaft that was a known problem at the time with some of the bikes. So there was no drive from a set of lights, with a run up to the problem of clunky input from neutral that was telling me something was not right.

Though one year out of warranty, BMW offered 50 50, to wit they supply the parts, and I pay the labour. It was a $2,000 fix, so $1,000 to me. I countered with they supply the parts, and pay 50% of the labour. BMW accepted that, which I think is not too bad for a bike that was one year out of warranty.

Albeit, it was a known problem.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:38 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,766 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengarzy
My K1300 goes in a couple of days, won’t be sorry to see it go, not because it’s a bad bike it’s not, it really does do everything and more but BMW are such a strange company if you have a problem, they give you the runaround to avoid fixing it, to such an extent that you don’t want to deal with them again, Yamaha and Triumph are the complete opposite so that’s where you should spend your money if you want to feel you are a wanted customer.

I’m almost at the same point myself. Never thought it would happen with me though, but here I am.

By the way Arthur, my K13S has been nearly flawless. I got lucky.

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

Currently Receiving Intravenous Sedatives and Rides a Pussy Bike with Pride

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 02-25-2018, 03:17 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
if you have a problem, they give you the runaround to avoid fixing it, to such an extent that you donít want to deal with them again, Yamaha and Triumph are the complete opposite so thatís where you should spend your money if you want to feel you are a wanted customer.

Strangely perhaps, I've had completely the opposite experience; the only warranty issue I had (stalling) BMW tried hard to (and eventually did) fix it without any argument. Took them ages admittedly. I had a new Triumph Explorer for about 9 months which was nothing but trouble from day one, and Triumph (not the dealer) were an utter pain in the arse to deal with, initially denying there was even problem, making it as difficult for both me and the dealer to communicate with them as possible... I'm never going to touch Triumph again.
Past: Norton Commando 850, Honda CB750 K1, Suzuki GS550 (twice), Suzuki GS850 '81, Suzuki GS1000 '82, Triumph Speed Triple '98, Yamaha V-Max '06, Yamaha FZ-1 '08, Kawasaki 1400GTR '10, Triumph Explorer 1200 XC '14
Current: BMW K1300S '12
Old 02-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb62
Strangely perhaps, I've had completely the opposite experience; the only warranty issue I had (stalling) BMW tried hard to (and eventually did) fix it without any argument. Took them ages admittedly. I had a new Triumph Explorer for about 9 months which was nothing but trouble from day one, and Triumph (not the dealer) were an utter pain in the arse to deal with, initially denying there was even problem, making it as difficult for both me and the dealer to communicate with them as possible... I'm never going to touch Triumph again.

Ok, I understand that different riders have a different perspective but my experience has been over many years with various bikes and cars, I was always treated as if I was an idiot until I found, rectified and showed the dealer/BMW the results.
I also have to get you all to put ďGS fork leg failureĒ and read the South African guys experience with BMW on a real safety issue that was ignored/denied for over 2 years... then suddenly there is a recall of many, many thousands of GS models for a school boy type repair to the fork legs to strengthen them and, hopfully elliminate the failure...... itís shocking they ignored this guy and soooo many owners.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Sorry to hear that Ben, you are an asset to the community here.

So far my K13 has not vibrated that bad. I do feel like a valued BMW customer, but that is due to the dealership. They know my name when I come in and have done the homework on my bike (assuming I got an appointment). One time I showed up at closing on Sat evening with a worn front tire, they stayed an extra hour to accommodate me.

Thatís your dealer working for you as it should, BMW allude to working for you also but my experience on many occasions and lots of vehicles is that they do not.
I went to them with a total cure for this problem, fully documented and free of any cost, including the £800 I spent on a new gear on a 3,000 miles old 1300 and they still refused to even talk to me about the issue........why I have no idea but can only assume itís ignorance or similar.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
My K1300 goes in a couple of days, wonít be sorry to see it go, not because itís a bad bike itís not, it really does do everything and more but BMW are such a strange company if you have a problem, they give you the runaround to avoid fixing it, to such an extent that you donít want to deal with them again, Yamaha and Triumph are the complete opposite so thatís where you should spend your money if you want to feel you are a wanted customer.

May I just say in no defence of BMW because I have never found them any different from any other manufacturer but my experience of both Triumph and Yamaha (I still own one of both)is exactly the same they will never deal with a punter itís just not the way they operate.

In fact when I bought my 885i tiger in 98 ordered the aftermarket exhaust and when it came it didnít fit,I knew who made it for Triumph and went to them direct.

Have you ever fitted one to a bike I ask,no they reply we only have a tenplate which they showed me.

They phone Triumph with me in the room the guy at Triumph ask WTF are you iím the Bloke trying save you money pal!! The pipe doesnít fit yes it does he says weíve sold loads,the locating bolt was 30mm out!!!!

Two weeks later a totally different redesigned pipe comes in the post but the bottom line they will never admit to anything and they are ALL the same.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
May I just say in no defence of BMW because I have never found them any different from any other manufacturer but my experience of both Triumph and Yamaha (I still own one of both)is exactly the same they will never deal with a punter itís just not the way they operate.

In fact when I bought my 885i tiger in 98 ordered the aftermarket exhaust and when it came it didnít fit,I knew who made it for Triumph and went to them direct.

Have you ever fitted one to a bike I ask,no they reply we only have a tenplate which they showed me.

They phone Triumph with me in the room the guy at Triumph ask WTF are you iím the Bloke trying save you money pal!! The pipe doesnít fit yes it does he says weíve sold loads,the locating bolt was 30mm out!!!!

Two weeks later a totally different redesigned pipe comes in the post but the bottom line they will never admit to anything and they are ALL the same.

Ok, here is my experience with Yamaha, new R1, one of the first in the country..... horrible noise from clutch case at 600 miles...I removed the cover and found a wire retaining ring holding the first steel plate on the clutch centre had unwound itself all the way (in little bits) through the gearbox and primary/crank gear.
The dealer had not even been on a course on the R1 so I elected to rebuild the engine with just torque settings and clearances to work with (no manual available) there was a massive list of parts needed as the damage was extensive (crank, primary gear, mainshaft bent, all steel bearings etc) but all was well until I put the alternator rotor on and checked the torque setting at 79ft lbs.....itís a 12mm bolt ..... thatís way too high so I tightened to 30ft lbs and all was well, the engine was perfect and did 16k miles with me no probs.
The point I am making is Yamaha supplied me all the parts when I showed them the trail of distruction in the power unit and when I told them of the misprint re the torque setting which could have caused untold damage with dealers they not only sent me a great letter but also 4 tickets to the UK round of World Super Bikes by way of a thank you..... so no they are not all alike and I found Triumph and Suzuki similarly helpful, Audi on the car side are truly superb too.
So there you go, I have never found BMW anything like the others, always got there head up there collective bums while the user suffers...
Old 02-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Ok, here is my experience with Yamaha... So there you go, I have never found BMW anything like the others, always got there head up there collective bums while the user suffers...
So why not take you bitter self over to a Yamaha forum. Other than a few responders you have no real audience here.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
So why not take you bitter self over to a Yamaha forum. Other than a few responders you have no real audience here.

Nooooooooooooo thatís not the way to go either the man has a gripe and let him say so,my point is one individuals experience is just that itís a bench mark of absolutely nothing.

My experience with Triumph was just the tip of the iceberg the actual bike only lasted another 6 weeks before it was kaput and after handbags at dawn I got another new bike and I wasnít all that keen on that,3rd time lucky and iíve had that bike 17 years but itís just my experience itís a bench of that and absolutely nothing else.

My local BM dealer is pretty good if I have problem we have a frank exchange of opinion but iíve Seen a well known gent off here vent his annoyance about same dealer does it make them a bad dealer!!!
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 02-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Twisted Wrister

While it is no excuse for the state of affairs now, I am recalling when the local Norton dealer was in a former gas station, whitworth tools were nowhere to be found. Night riding was a gamble with the Prince of Darkness (Lucas) and the magneto would jump timing if you missed a shift (shifter on the right, pattern was upside down). Then and a few years later, getting machine work done to metric measurements was impossible. A few years after that, I owned a Harley made by AMF with one cylinder bored .030 and the other standard by H-D. Having paid those dues, I am happy as a pig in mud.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

So obviously you are probably an owner that has either had no problems OR those problems were sorted to your satisfaction, I am neither of those.
I thought I would try a BMW and had an HP2 that was just out of warrranty, sorted a couple of issues and did about 5k miles on it, it was great and at that time I had had no contact with a BMW dealer or BMW.
I thought it would be a good idea to try the 4 cylinder bikes and sadly found problems that they would not address and had to find my own way..... what is so galling is I used my own money and time to trace a problem that had obviously eluded the factory and even when presented with the results for free they wouldnít even humour me and see what they had been missing for years, so yes, I am a little bitter, if you have had a great experience then letís hear it to counter my real gripes.
Unfortunately Yamaha donít make what we wanted so it was not an option, we did test a VFR but that didnít do it either.
What you will love to hear though is I pick up a new R1200RS as soon as the weather improves and just hope as they have been making boxers for many years they donít have basic problems like they do on there poor copies of Japanese 4 cylinder engines.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
While it is no excuse for the state of affairs now, I am recalling when the local Norton dealer was in a former gas station, whitworth tools were nowhere to be found. Night riding was a gamble with the Prince of Darkness (Lucas) and the magneto would jump timing if you missed a shift (shifter on the right, pattern was upside down). Then and a few years later, getting machine work done to metric measurements was impossible. A few years after that, I owned a Harley made by AMF with one cylinder bored .030 and the other standard by H-D. Having paid those dues, I am happy as a pig in mud.

Only 030Ē, thatís a perfect match on a Harley😂😂
Old 02-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Only 030Ē, thatís a perfect match on a Harley😂😂

Rings broke. Every time I went for a ride when I got home, I would check to see what shook off the cycle. Rear view mirrors were useless because the vibration created total distortion and they would turn on the ball mount on the back of the housing. But, I was riding my Super Glide and happy in 1974.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:09 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi i,m from South Africa and had the same Bad experience with BMW head office.My nearly new k1300s with 7000km on the clock started to vibrate and made ringing noise's on overrun same as all the other on the forum.Had to send the bike to Johannesburg at own cost while the bike was still under warranty and wait three weeks for it to return.Rode the bike for a week and it started to leak oil on the clutch cover after investigation found nine of the eighteen bolts were loose.Called BMW and they denied flat out working on the bike Told them about the documentation and pictures that was taken before the bike went to them and they told me to TAKE THE BIKE AS IS OR SELL IT MY CHOICE.(its the bikes character to vibrate) :shake i was told.
How do you deal with a big company that ignores the client and only believes themselves.
Best Regards.
Dirk.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:39 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
Rings broke. Every time I went for a ride when I got home, I would check to see what shook off the cycle. Rear view mirrors were useless because the vibration created total distortion and they would turn on the ball mount on the back of the housing. But, I was riding my Super Glide and happy in 1974.

Just confirms what I always thought, a Harley rider will put up with anything, probably because he either doesnít know any better or doesnt want to 😂😂😂😂
Only joking, each to his own
Old 03-01-2018, 04:53 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk C
Hi i,m from South Africa and had the same Bad experience with BMW head office.My nearly new k1300s with 7000km on the clock started to vibrate and made ringing noise's on overrun same as all the other on the forum.Had to send the bike to Johannesburg at own cost while the bike was still under warranty and wait three weeks for it to return.Rode the bike for a week and it started to leak oil on the clutch cover after investigation found nine of the eighteen bolts were loose.Called BMW and they denied flat out working on the bike Told them about the documentation and pictures that was taken before the bike went to them and they told me to TAKE THE BIKE AS IS OR SELL IT MY CHOICE.(its the bikes character to vibrate) :shake i was told.
How do you deal with a big company that ignores the client and only believes themselves.
Best Regards.
Dirk.

It would seem this attitude is world wide, I think if there is a problem like the vibration issue that has never been cured they just palm you off with ďitís characterĒ etc because whatever they throw at it will generally make no difference. I have heard them give so many reasons for the vibes I could right a book, confirming no one at BMW new what the real problem was.
Yes, a brand new primary gear set SOMETIMES cured it but they had no idea why.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:40 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
So obviously you are probably an owner that has either had no problems OR those problems were sorted to your satisfaction, I am neither of those.....
You are right. I am wrong. A crappy day at work spilled over into the keyboard. My apologies. I have been happy with 2 K1200S an 2 K1300S bikes but agree that better engineering is always a good thing.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
You are right. I am wrong. A crappy day at work spilled over into the keyboard. My apologies. I have been happy with 2 K1200S an 2 K1300S bikes but agree that better engineering is always a good thing.

Thanks for that, itís also good to hear that others have not had to go through what I have to enjoy the K1300. Since finding and sorting my bike it has been a pleasure to ride, Iím sure if you havenít experienced the before and after (it took 6k miles and the first year) then it would be difficult to understand why I am so hacked off with BMW, I asked them for nothing and when I had good info for them they just blanked me. I am looking forward to the 1200RS though, just not BMW😎😎
Old 03-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Just confirms what I always thought, a Harley rider will put up with anything, probably because he either doesnít know any better or doesnt want to 😂😂😂😂
Only joking, each to his own

What were you riding in 1974?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:18 AM
Speed Demon

If someone asked me my preferences then i’d Say Yamaha who ever builds them sits on a bike like I do the problem being ever since they stopped the FJ1200 and I was expecting some kind of Blackbird equivalent instead got the pigs ear of the 1300 so I walked away my XT excepted.

Bought a BM1100s for the first 10,000 miles it could turn my index fingers numb(white)inside 50 miles it had over 20,000 before it got anything like and to this day I never ride it from the late May to early September it doesn’t like warm weather.

I bought my K1200r sport in 09 the fuelling was a disgrace 3 different aftermarket cans( they are not all the same) and a Rexxer map it was good to go.

That is apart from its had 3 clutch’s before it was sorted then the ABS unit went belly up and the end of last year the alternator went the same way to give some idea of the condition it’s been wet twice in 9 years!!!! And it’s pretty dam close to being as good as the day it came out of the crate but frankly it’s been a horror about on par with my Norton Jubilee I had in 1969.

Which brings me to my XR!! My K is like a vibrationless magic carpet comparing to 1000,BM say we will do a free recall it made it worse and now after a few more miles it has started to settle grrrrr

Perhaps I should contact BM and have a moan as luck would have it my 955 Tiger has serenely carried on over the years without the slightest complaint but a good job because I found Triumph a nightmare to deal with.

Oh what I forgot I started on old Triumphs and Norton’s I will NOT have a Whitworth spanner in the garage
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-02-2018, 06:05 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV

Well....... it was a Triumph Tiger 110, late 50s.
I rebuilt it and made up 2 LS hydraulic brakes that fitted in the original drum, remade the forks with Reynolds tubing and proper damping, strengthened the frame around the swinging arm area.
The engine was a masterpiece, it had a 9 stud head on 750 Morgo barrels, a 750 Norton Atlas crank modified to suit and ran a pair of Alfa Romeo pistons with high gudgeon pins, the barrel was jacked up by .50Ē and special titanium con rods were made from the material that made the links that raised and lowered Concordes nose......... donít ask.
It had a single Amal Concentric carb bored to 1 3/8Ē.
It went like greased weasels shit and I had it for about 3 years, great fun.
The engine came from when I raced sidecars, I had an Atlas crank as a door stop and one day thought...... what if.....it ended up being 930cc and very torquey.
Then I had 2 900 Ducatiís 😎😎😎
Then I had a succession of about 8 Yamahaís, an OW01 being one of them, a Hyabusa (hated it)
A Daytona 675 (best sports bike out there) then the 2 BMW, lastly a 1299 Ducati Panigale.... spent most of its 2 years either at Snetterton or in the dealers with a quick shifter fault they couldnít cure so itís gone..
Been in engineering all my life, consultant engineer until recently, now retired, only saying so you know I have some experience........ I built 990 engines from Ď72-Ď82 for anyone that wanted them
Old 03-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Speed Demon

By 1974 iíd Already been Tiger cub/Norton Jubilee/CB250/YR3 350 Yamaha/500Cobra/H1A/750H2 triple and then I realised one had to have a new CB750 that Scht itself in Bologna while en route to see Kenny Roberts race at the Imola 200.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,084 Posts

I never notice vibrations when I'm WOT!!Watch the video, it's funny in a messed up sort of way. Doesn't help your situation but at least you are not Ronnie Mac.

Keyboard Hero! Let the games BEGIN!!!

A product of "unfortunate upbringing..."

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Well....... it was a Triumph Tiger 110, late 50s.
I rebuilt it and made up 2 LS hydraulic brakes that fitted in the original drum, remade the forks with Reynolds tubing and proper damping, strengthened the frame around the swinging arm area.
The engine was a masterpiece, it had a 9 stud head on 750 Morgo barrels, a 750 Norton Atlas crank modified to suit and ran a pair of Alfa Romeo pistons with high gudgeon pins, the barrel was jacked up by .50Ē and special titanium con rods were made from the material that made the links that raised and lowered Concordes nose......... donít ask.
It had a single Amal Concentric carb bored to 1 3/8Ē.
It went like greased weasels shit and I had it for about 3 years, great fun.
The engine came from when I raced sidecars, I had an Atlas crank as a door stop and one day thought...... what if.....it ended up being 930cc and very torquey.
Then I had 2 900 Ducatiís 😎😎😎
Then I had a succession of about 8 Yamahaís, an OW01 being one of them, a Hyabusa (hated it)
A Daytona 675 (best sports bike out there) then the 2 BMW, lastly a 1299 Ducati Panigale.... spent most of its 2 years either at Snetterton or in the dealers with a quick shifter fault they couldnít cure so itís gone..
Been in engineering all my life, consultant engineer until recently, now retired, only saying so you know I have some experience........ I built 990 engines from Ď72-Ď82 for anyone that wanted them

So, go back to one of those. Then you will be happy.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Twisted Wrister

So, a few of us go back into the mid-sixties. How perfect were those? I'm just saying that if you guys are that unhappy, sell your BMW and move on. My compliments to those who have worked hard to find some solutions. These cycles vibrate, they make strange noises, they shift hard, they have complicated systems. Some are worse than others. You are surprised BMW won't pay any attention to you, but you ride a cycle BMW probably planned to discontinue several years in advance. Big whoop. The reality is ride it or sell it.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
The reality is, ride it or sell it.
Words to live by.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Surfer' for this post:
Old 03-02-2018, 11:32 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV

Nope, I was joking, for some reason being stuck in a time warp does it for HD and there customers
My favourite is the 80mph max road sign that underneath says ďHarleyís, just do the best you canĒ only joking😂😂😂
Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
By 1974 iíd Already been Tiger cub/Norton Jubilee/CB250/YR3 350 Yamaha/500Cobra/H1A/750H2 triple and then I realised one had to have a new CB750 that Scht itself in Bologna while en route to see Kenny Roberts race at the Imola 200.

By 1974 I had done 3 seasons sidecar racing, had numerous British twins and at the moment I have recovered my first bike, a 1964 Greeves twin and itís costing a fortune to restore.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
So, a few of us go back into the mid-sixties. How perfect were those? I'm just saying that if you guys are that unhappy, sell your BMW and move on. My compliments to those who have worked hard to find some solutions. These cycles vibrate, they make strange noises, they shift hard, they have complicated systems. Some are worse than others. You are surprised BMW won't pay any attention to you, but you ride a cycle BMW probably planned to discontinue several years in advance. Big whoop. The reality is ride it or sell it.

If I had your attitude to poor design or manufacture the bikes we ride would be as bad as the things we rode in the old days, just putting up with this sort of shite may well suit you, it doesnít suit me so it had to be sorted, ok.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
If I had your attitude to poor design or manufacture the bikes we ride would be as bad as the things we rode in the old days, just putting up with this sort of shite may well suit you, it doesnít suit me so it had to be sorted, ok.

By the way, my K now has
1 no vibration at all
2 shifts gear perfectly
3 engages first without a sound...... anytime
4 the engine is THE quietest you will ever hear.

Thatís since I did the work to it
If yours does all the horrible things you listed, you are putting up with crap we had before we set foot on the moon, doesnít make you right because you are prepared to.... after spending 17k pounds with the Germans I was expecting more, it was all there too, just needed to be set up properly like 17k pays for.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
So, go back to one of those. Then you will be happy.

I wouldnít want to go back to those crappy things, I bought a modern BMW just so I didnít have vibration and poor performance and all the things modern bike are SUPPOSED to do.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
By the way, my K now has
1 no vibration at all
2 shifts gear perfectly
3 engages first without a sound...... anytime
4 the engine is THE quietest you will ever hear.

Thatís since I did the work to it
If yours does all the horrible things you listed, you are putting up with crap we had before we set foot on the moon, doesnít make you right because you are prepared to.... after spending 17k pounds with the Germans I was expecting more, it was all there too, just needed to be set up properly like 17k pays for.

All of that and no mention of the stock fuel map,please donít tell me it was ok cuz thereís no such thing on a K,and just like you have gone off on one about all things mechanical although after 3 clutchís mine also goes in first without a sound I took exception to the fuelling itís a bloody disgrace but some put up with just it like other do with your hobby horse
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
All of that and no mention of the stock fuel map,please donít tell me it was ok cuz thereís no such thing on a K,and just like you have gone off on one about all things mechanical although after 3 clutchís mine also goes in first without a sound I took exception to the fuelling itís a bloody disgrace but some put up with just it like other do with your hobby horse

Quite right, we put a can on in the first few weeks and then went to Hilltop for a re map that has made it fuel clean as a whistle and about 12 bhp up on standard.
As you say it was pretty poor but in my defence we were going in that direction regardless of how it was as standard so forgot to mention have glitchy they are as standard.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Speed Demon

End of conversation mate when that blokes name is mentioned.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-02-2018, 02:50 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
End of conversation mate when that blokes name is mentioned.

I can only speak as I find, he did a great job on the HP2 and both the K 1300s and I am super fussy.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
If I had your attitude to poor design or manufacture the bikes we ride would be as bad as the things we rode in the old days, just putting up with this sort of shite may well suit you, it doesn’t suit me so it had to be sorted, ok.

I guess you didn't read my sincere compliments to those who have worked to find solutions. Some didn't read my admission to also owning a pair of Norton P11s in 1967. I lived through trying to live on the street with Amal GP carbs on a Spitfire Mk2 in 1968. Note that when selecting a cycle in my senior years, I did not select a Harley - again. I'm just saying that if one is so unhappy with a cycle that he continually criticizes the cycle or the manufacturer, just try something else. My list was of the most common complaints seen here, not my criticisms. I find many more positives than negatives in the K1300S. I have two of them, enjoy riding them and have no intention to be rid of them. I consider you all my friends and my comments were more observation than criticism of anyone personally. If you took it as personal, I am sorry.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
I guess you didn't read my sincere compliments to those who have worked to find solutions. Some didn't read my admission to also owning a pair of Norton P11s in 1967. I lived through trying to live on the street with Amal GP carbs on a Spitfire Mk2 in 1968. Note that when selecting a cycle in my senior years, I did not select a Harley - again. I'm just saying that if one is so unhappy with a cycle that he continually criticizes the cycle or the manufacturer, just try something else. My list was of the most common complaints seen here, not my criticisms. I find many more positives than negatives in the K1300S. I have two of them, enjoy riding them and have no intention to be rid of them. I consider you all my friends and my comments were more observation than criticism of anyone personally. If you took it as personal, I am sorry.

Thatís ok, I note you had a Spitfire on GP carbs, a friend had one and the right carb sucked a duster in from under the seat as there was no needle in the carb to stop it! It did the full trip and was found tangled up with the inlet valve and been hammered by the piston until it was like a piece of wood😎
I have in fact sold the K1300 now so wonít be bothering this forum anymore.
If Iím honest the irritation began when I took the bike to the dealers for a BMW UK guy to ride, he tested it for about 15 minutes and told me ďthere is nothing wrong with itĒ even though my friends identical bike was silky smooth like mine is now, we had a very busy year booked going to most Moto GPs in Europe and for that summer I had to put up with the noise and awful vibration so by the time I found and rectified the problem I was so relieved, I then did two more years on it with it performing faultllessly.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
WPV
Old 03-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Twisted Wrister

You are of the same cloth of those I have known that build their own aircraft. Engineering, detail and the patience to spend years on a project. Stop in from time to time, if for no other reason than for the amusement. I'm sure the same topics will be topics discussed.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Shooting the gap

Anyone who wants to have a smooth, vibe free K, check out my latest post ďvibration etc, important information. Fit this bearing and you wonít believe itís the same engine, promise.
Off for good now
Ben
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 03-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Shooting the gap

Anyone who wants to have a smooth, vibe free K, check out my latest post ďvibration etc, important information. Fit this bearing and you wonít believe itís the same engine, promise.
Off for good now
Ben
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 03-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Zealot of Beer

Quote:
Hard on the throttle=no vibration, closed throttle or cruising through 5k-3k horrible vibes.
Hey, now it clicked for me what you're talking about! This drives me insane. I don't intend to fix it bc I haven't a clue how to take all that apart and put it back together successfully. But glad to know it's not normal and not my imagination.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:44 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXdB
Hey, now it clicked for me what you're talking about! This drives me insane. I don't intend to fix it bc I haven't a clue how to take all that apart and put it back together successfully. But glad to know it's not normal and not my imagination.

Get the bearing and give it to your dealer and tell them to fit it, I can do it on 40 minutes so allow an hours labour at BMW, it will drastically reduce wear in other areas too so not money wasted.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Wookin' pa nub

Quote:
Well the problem for me is it's taken a whole lot of time and money (spent on a brand new bike) to find out exactly what makes a K1300 vibrate horribly and another not.

I wonder what the total number of bikes have this problem? I've had two K-S's and neither had the vibration issue. Weird.

I'm amazed at your perseverance. If my bikes had a vibration that bad and BMW wouldn't fix it, they would have had to take it back due to lemon laws. I wouldn't have messed with it.

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 03-22-2018, 08:51 AM
Wookin' pa nub

Quote:
Off for good now
Ben

Here is a link to the fix thread.

Life is good!
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
I wonder what the total number of bikes have this problem? I've had two K-S's and neither had the vibration issue. Weird.

I'm amazed at your perseverance. If my bikes had a vibration that bad and BMW wouldn't fix it, they would have had to take it back due to lemon laws. I wouldn't have messed with it.

Having argued with BMW on previous occasions on faults I knew this would take months to sort out and I didnít have the time, we had a number of European rides booked.
Also I already new what area the problem was in , just not exactly, so I pulled it apart and eventually found and corrected the problem. Also other rattles and clutch life is closely associated with the root cause of the vibration.
What I did is not for everyone but the area I have spent my life in meant I wasnít fazed by it at all, yes it would cost me money I shouldnít be spending on a brand new machine but apart from just riding it and putting up with the vibes as some would, there was no alternative.
I donít suppose for a minute anyone from BMW ever check out these sites but if they did they should be ashamed they have put me and many others through so much crap.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:54 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Just to take a look I just purchased the bearing in question here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INA-NK35-30...4383.l4275.c10

Edit: I just went up to the shop and checked a K12S tranny and clutch I have on the bench. Must be at least .002" clearance between the bushing and bearing. Way more than .0035" wobble. That think could certainly move around assembled with that mess.
Edit #2: Chucked up the end of the bushing that the oil pump drive bearing goes on. Found the bearing slop allowed a .047" wobble in the clutch basket housing.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.

Last edited by Beech : 03-24-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 PM

It's nice to know that I'm not crazy! My 05 k12s above 6500 rpm's felt like it was literally going to come apart! I loved the bike anyway, and learned to ride around it. When I get a new bike I will definitely have the dealership install this new bearing. Thanks for this information

Curt
Old 03-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,766 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Just to take a look I just purchased the bearing in question here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INA-NK35-30...4383.l4275.c10

Edit: I just went up to the shop and checked a K12S tranny and clutch I have on the bench. Must be at least .002" clearance between the bushing and bearing. Way more than .0035" wobble. That think could certainly move around assembled with that mess.
Just where, exactly, does this part go?

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

Currently Receiving Intravenous Sedatives and Rides a Pussy Bike with Pride

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:41 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2015
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Just where, exactly, does this part go?

Thanks Pat, borrowed your picture. Centre bearing, John.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:25 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

The bmw parts fiche does not list it. You have to buy the basket to get it, it seems. No worries, the theme of the thread is the BMW OEM one is garbage and you can do better aftermarket. Amazing details still discovered about this bike.
No problem getting it out (not to be reused so go for it), and a heat gun should warm things up for the install. Normal stuff.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
The bmw parts fiche does not list it. You have to buy the basket to get it, it seems. No worries, the theme of the thread is the BMW OEM one is garbage and you can do better aftermarket. Amazing details still discovered about this bike.
No problem getting it out (not to be reused so go for it), and a heat gun should warm things up for the install. Normal stuff.

The factory probably donít want you seeing what junk they fit as standard😎
I hope there are a number of riders that manage to do this job, fit a Barnet clutch pack and then see and feel how much nicer the K is to ride....... and donít worry about the end float in the drive springs as they are like that from brand new..... they donít rattle when the gear isnít wobbling about, just fit and forget
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
The factory probably donít want you seeing what junk they fit as standard😎
I hope there are a number of riders that manage to do this job, fit a Barnet clutch pack and then see and feel how much nicer the K is to ride....... and donít worry about the end float in the drive springs as they are like that from brand new..... they donít rattle when the gear isnít wobbling about, just fit and forget
You never know some BMW dealers may hear about this better bearing and start fitting it too.....or is that too much to ask?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Wookin' pa nub

Quote:
You never know some BMW dealers may hear about this better bearing and start fitting it too.....or is that too much to ask?

I'd say this would only be an issue if it was warranty work. Or, if the user didn't mind paying for the parts and labor. No dealer is going to go against the mothership when a payday is involved.

Life is good!