I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Most amount of mileage on 1 trip?
<500 miles 68 7.74%
between 500 & 1,500 miles 127 14.46%
between 1,500 & 2,000 miles 95 10.82%
between 2,000 & 3,000 miles 113 12.87%
between 3,000 & 4,000 miles 112 12.76%
between 4,000 & 6,000 miles 173 19.70%
between 6,000 & 8,000 miles 66 7.52%
between 8,000 & 10,000 miles 55 6.26%
> than 10,000 miles 69 7.86%
Voters: 878. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

Longest trip was back in the early 80's teaching service school. I would start in Marina Del Ray, CA and head to the Bay area....then to Chicago.... Montvale, NJ.... Atlanta, GA.... San Antonio, TX.... and back to Marina Del Ray. Between each city I would usually stop at various dealers and conduct classes, so the trip was more of a zigzag... not a straight shot.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Left Lane Assassin

Iron Butt Gold Award. 1,500 miles in 36 hours. It was a great memory with two other friends.
"Put a motor between your legs and anything is possible" Avatar courtesy KevinC - BRPR 2011
Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Its an old dog for a hard road

I have made two trips to Alaska. The quicki when the '01 R1150GS was new I did is May

of '01. George at Trails End told me I was the first one up that year to stop by and sign in on

May 17th. Approx. 9,500 miles in 15 days which just doesn't do the trip justice.

I went again in May/June of '04 right before I traded the GS in a on the '04 KRS.

This last time I added a bunch of spots to see.

Someone had told me that 200 S in MT was worth a ride, and it sure is, so I rolled out of

Evansville, IN and rode a combination of slab and two lanes to MT where I jumped on 200 at

Circle and rode over to see Peace park and ride the Hwy to the Sun. The Judith Mtns along

200 are small but very beautiful. The Hwy to the Sun was closed because

of snow slides and I headed on up to the Icefields. Pretty, but I had a cold drizzle to deal

with a lot of this day. I did go out and walk on a Glacier which was COOL. I rode right up

the middle of the icefields area to Hinton, AB,Canada. up thru Grande Cache on Hwy 40 to

Dawson Creek. Watch you gas up this way ! One of the places I camped at on the AK Hwy

was Toad River MP# 422, where I set up and had my campsite dinner while watching a

Moose have his less than 50 yrds away. Hoping to take my grand-daughter up and really

hope she gets to see something like that ! I wanted to ride the Top-of The World Hwy this

trip so I jumped off onto Hwy 2 at Whitehorse, YK and rode to Dawson City where I stopped

for a real good meal, then rode the ferry over for the Top of the World Hwy ride. I really

lucked out and it was perfect for the 40 unpaved miles you must ride after you cross back

into the US at Poker Flats. Not to wet, not dusty, but just right ! The Border Patrol gal was

very pretty and easy to flirt with ! I stopped at Chicken after she had closed, but she

opened up and let me get a few things. Get used to lots of REAL NICE folks up that way if

your nice too. Stopped at Tok. Next day over to Denali for a short visit, then down to

Anchorage where I stayed with some folks I had met on my first trip up. Spent a day riding

down to Seward, etc.. Then headed to Haines Junction and rode down to Haines for the

Ferry. I would highly rate the Hwy from Haines Junction to Haines as a MUST ride Hwy !! If

you fancy Eagles then Haines in the fall is a good place to see hundreds I hear. Rode the

boat to Prince Rupert, BC. Take lots of film ! Routed myself down and thru Yellowstone, then

comboed again on home. Even with the boat ride taking off a lot of riding miles I would

guess this trip at the 10,000 mile mark ? I think I have some notes somewhere, but I ain't

digging them out this time of night.

A little secret about riding to Alaska and wanting to use the Ferry as part of it for

sight-seeing, which is worth it, ride up in late May, early June. July can be rainy ! Take the

ferry back as you probably will not need a reservation, unless you want a cabin. If you take

the Ferry UP, you will have to have reservations well in advance.

And one last tip. A free standing tent is the only way to go on the boat, if you don't go the

cabin route.....oh and you don't need to take tie downs with you for the boat ride as they

have good ones and offer to help you tie down.

I saw so many beatiful sights. Black Bears, a Grizzley at pucker distance !, An eagle get it's

ass kicked by a crow, Moose, a wolf trotting along beside me, Doll Sheep, seals, porpoises,

whales, and more natural beauty than could be described in a lifetime !

N. Andrew 'Doc' Bland
2008 K1200S
-Night Black

Sold to cabnfvr 5-5-12
------------------------------
1997 Harley Softtail Springer
-------Violet Pearl-------

Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDevilDrew
I have made two trips to Alaska. The quicki when the '01 R1150GS was new I did is May

.............I saw so many beatiful sights.

Nice ride account Drew! Someday you should do a full report.. or even a photo report for us - bring out all those pics to make us drool (yeah... the Alaskan scenery... focus.. focus Drew!!)
Old 05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Getting up to speed

In May of '05 bought a new R12RT. Took a month to get the bike set up for a trip and the farkles on it for the trip before heading out for a 30 day solo tour.
Left Atlanta and beat a path to Ft. Collins in two days. Took my time for the rest of trip. Ft. Collins, across Poudre Canyon (one of my favorite rides) on to Steamboat Springs. Then up through Flaming Gorge to Jackson Hole. Took my time and enjoyed the Gran Tetons and Yellowstone a few days before heading back down to Moab. Went to Moab after reading Neil Peart's comments about it being his favorite place to ride. Lots of good riding around Utah, once you're south of SLC and Ogden. A few days there and up to Salt Lake BMW for 6000 mile service and new tires.
Then across Nevada on 50 for Carson City. Enjoyed the solitude of that ride. Haven't much use for the gambling mecas but did enjoy the steaks at the restaraunts. Rode around Lake Tahoe and into California.
A beautiful lake, too bad there is so much built up around it. Went on down to Yosemite Park. Hadn't been paying any attention to the calendar and pulled in there on Labor Day weekend. Way too many people for me, couldn't get out of there fast enough. One night on the east side of the Sierra's and headed back to the U.S.A.
Since I was out there I had to see Death Valley. Had no idea that there was a fee from the Park Service to enter. Guy was cool though; when he saw that I was on a bike he waved the fee and I was off. I guess he figured that he could make some allowances for some fool enough to do it on a bike.
Crossing Death Valley took much longer than I expected but enjoyed not seeing any cars. I liked it being just me, the bike, and the countryside, very peaceful. It seems the only way back to Utah was through Las Vegas. At 105 degrees there isn't any driving fast enough to get cool. So, ride faster just to get out of there. Worked for me.
Back into Utah to Moab again. Lots of roads to enjoy at speed and good scenery to take in.
Back to Colorado again. Went up and down the state trying to hit as many scenic routes as I could. A favorite is the one from Gran Junction down to Ouray.
Took in four corners, was under-impressed. The indians trying to scalp the tourists was a detraction. On to the Grand Canyon, had seen that before and got bored with it. Too much to take in from the few tourists trap parks there. Needs to be scene by boat on the river or maybe by flying through it.
On to Roswell, N.M. and Carlsbad Caverns. Interesting but it seems the prettiest parts of that are prohibited for tourists.
Made it from New Mexico back to Atlanta in two days. 30 days and 10,000 miles. I've only done three tours longer than three days but that was by far the best. No itinerary to keep and no one to answer to. Just freedom to wander and enjoy the roads and countryside. Very good therapy.

Brad
Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Shooting the gap

11,500 miles. Dallas, Tx to Alaska and back. 8,000 motorcycle miles as we took Alaska Ferry from Bellingham to Haines. Haines Junction,Tok,Fairbanks, Chena Hot Springs, Denali, Anchorage, Seward,Homer(camped on the spit), Tok, Top of the world highway, Dawson, Prince George, Jasper, Icefield Parkway, Lake Louise, Banff, Glacier, Jackson Hole, Denver, Raton, Amarillo and then home. Camped 30%. Rain 80%. Will do this ride again.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Well, it wasn't me so I didn't include this on the poll.... but, my good old 1986 K100RT that I sold to a friend's son this summer, was ridden in a very non-direct route from Vancouver here, to Upper New York state (touching down in Moose Jaw Saskatewan, then Yellowstone, then heading east to Nova Scotia, before heading down to New York). 10,075 kilometers in total. ...and this, on a 21 year old bike that now has more than 200,000km on it. Ran perfectly the entire way. Oil was down about 1/8" in the sight glass for the whole trip.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 10-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Twisted Wrister

A month on the road and 10,000 miles. Got home, wrote a book about the experience. Finished the book. Started working on a little website after that which became the pashnit site.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,293 Times in 1,678 Posts

DSCN0196.JPG

The complete story is here : http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=13594

Martin
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

4000 miles this summer. FL-NV-UT-WY-SD-MT-NE-blah, blah, FL. Road with a HD rider. Our riding styles different, we met at 150 mile waypoints on our GPS. 2 great days in LV at the Bellagio. Loved the fountains! My camera, plus other gear got stolen so sorry, no pix.
Jacksonville, (Northeast) Florida
Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Well, it wasn't me so I didn't include this on the poll.... but, my good old 1986 K100RT that I sold to a friend's son this summer, was ridden in a very non-direct route from Vancouver here, to Upper New York state (touching down in Moose Jaw Saskatewan, then Yellowstone, then heading east to Nova Scotia, before heading down to New York). 10,075 kilometers in total. ...and this, on a 21 year old bike that now has more than 200,000km on it. Ran perfectly the entire way. Oil was down about 1/8" in the sight glass for the whole trip.

Lovingly maintained by an OCD engineer. Why am I not surprised at its reliability. Hell Bob, it was probably better than new when you sold it!!! How you doing?

Best,
John
Jacksonville, (Northeast) Florida
Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,129 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D

Yeah, and mine is ici...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Getting up to speed

5630kms from the West coast of Oz to Phillip Island for the 2008 MotoGP last Sunday.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Rider X

Did my best this past summer a little over 8K in 16 days from Florida to California and back solo , and visited friends along the way. It was a real blast did most of the PCH, Yosemite, Yellowstone, badlands, Rocky Mountain National, and the World Superbike race in Utah. Pics -Videos Then i did another 5K to the Motogp in Indy then up through Ontario and Montreal and back to Florida. I hope next year will work out as well!!!

IBA#37414--- 2007 K1200S Tri-color

www.outridingagain.com

"The Other
s"

Fond Memories

2006 Yamaha YZ250F-2005 BMW K1200S
2005 Triumph Sprint ST-2000 Bimota SB8R
2000 Honda RC51-1998 VTR1000F Superchicken
1996 Honda CBR900RR-1995 Yamaha TZR250 3XV
1993 Honda CBR 900RR-1993 Kawasaki ZX6E
1988 Honda CBR 600 Hurricane

"Beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy"
Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Entering the on-ramp

St. Cloud, Fl. to central Maine. 2500 miles in 8 days. Took the slab to get out of Fl. Had spent Jan. thru July 2006 working in Southern Florida. Dropped the truck & trailer at my nephews and hit the road. Back roads from the panhandle into Alabama. Stopped at Barber . Cherokee Nat'l Forest, Rode the Dragon, Cherohola Skyway, Full length of BRP and Skyline Drive. Back roads all the way until northern PA. Hard rain so jumped on the slab to make time to get out of the rain. Back on back roads in Mass to Maine. Great ride. They sure do have some great roads down south.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Unit Train

Wow - you guys make me feel like a sissy wannabe.... I need to get out more often.

Longest for me was two years ago. Left Nebraska on my Tiger with a friend on his HD Heritage Softail

We rode through to Cheyenne, WY, down to Estes Park, on through to Gunnison, Ouray/Durango, over to the Four Corners, and returned through Farmington, NM, back through Durango, and through Colorado again via different passes. 2750 miles in 6 days. Some of the best riding of my life. Absolutely perfect weather the whole time.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,020 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded
Wow - you guys make me feel like a sissy wannabe.... I need to get out more often.

Doug, check out this ride report by our esteemed member, Muddy1...

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=16815
Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
Doug, check out this ride report by our esteemed member, Muddy1...

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=16815
[/quote]

Yeah, but that's NOTHING compared to a friend who put 44,000 miles on her sissy twin last year!! Yeah, she's retired... bet she'll soon give Ardys quite a run for her money...

http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/queenie.htm
Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Unit Train

Holy #@%$, Muddy1! What an awesome ride.

And the Laguna GP - Rossi's pass on Stoner in the corkscrew (in the dirt) was amazing. I wasn't there - just saw the coverage on Speed. I DID make it to Indy, and already have my tickets for next year! That's one helluva ride you took - I'm ashamed even to have posted mine, now.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Site Contributor

Hey All...

Longest ride with my riding partner and wife (marjet) was San Francisco to Montreal Canada in Sept 08. Fantastic time , awesome people and what a great country this is , "Ike" was chasing us all the way up from Texas to Lake Erie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Across 20081.jpg (284.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Send a message via Skype™ to Alpinebiker

Longest tour- 4003 kms in 10 days.

Longest single trip- 788kms in one day. Geneva to San Marino.

Highest daily average- 448kms per day on 5 day trip of 2238kms round Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia and Italy.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
Well I suppose the longest would be in the order of 5,000 miles. Did that this year and 2 years ago as well. This was participating in the 3 flags ride (Mexico to Canada) but of course I have to get there first and so take a more scenic route. Left Calgary on a Sunday, was back a week later plus a day (returned on Monday) so that's be 8 days.

Longest single day was a BBG (1500 miles in 24 hours), from Las Vegas to Calgary, had to take a less than straight route so I could get the full 1500 in. The day prior to that I did about 300 miles around Las Vegas and Lauglin and the day prior I rode from Calgary to Las Vegas (about 1350 miles or so), again in 24 hours.

All of those rides were with my 2001 Gold Wing. Hope to put some "SERIOUS" miles on with a couple of long trips this comming summer ('08) on K1200GT.
You win!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to larrykay

Milan to Cherbourg, over the Alps in 1961 on a 150 cc Vespa! Felt like 5000 miles at 20 to 30 mph up the Alpine Passes. No Autostrada in thosw days...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,488 Times in 814 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

bump for the newbies
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to island_tony Send a message via Yahoo to island_tony

I remember those days and..........of course the classic Louis photo that no one will ever forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Don't really know...
In 2003 when I rode 40,000 miles, THCR with BRPR then business to Chicago thru Cinci and Cleveland musta been 4-5000 miles. Was riding with RonR, Rob, KarlB, BW, Vicx and Darren parts of the way...
Longest ride... any one with Shiva, I guess... had to be the longest...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to island_tony Send a message via Yahoo to island_tony

My first ride with I-BMW when I rode from the Florida Keys about 800 to Florence, SC the first day and about 1000 to Woodstock, Vt the second day for the Summer Solstice. On the way home I toured the Adirondacks, Deals Gap and home. The total was about 4,500 miles in ten days.

I also rode from Houston to the Keys in one day, about 1,100 miles as I remember (on a Harley).
Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Getting up to speed

Back in 83, got a brand new CB1100F and circumnavigated the US using as little freeway as possible. Had no route plan, no schedule, no reservations, no rules ... just me, my Darth Vader leathers, boots and helmet and a tank bag. Probably the best 4 weeks of my life really.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
AMA# 1103547
BMWMOA# 159231
IBA# 21680
Jenny's # 867-5309
- - - - - - - - - - - -
"DUDE! We just got our asses kicked by a fat old man on a BMW!"
"HEY! I'm not THAT old!"

Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Site Contributor

Vancouver-Guadalajara,Mexico and extensive riding in the southwest.6,000 miles. Costa Del Sol,Spain up to England and Home. Mileage? Vancouver- Panama,23,000 kms. Vancouver- Belize? January,2010 will see. I'm getting the old air head ready for this adventure right now!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Talking Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by island_tony
I remember those days and..........of course the classic Louis photo that no one will ever forget.

How can we forget that year it was a blast
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
How can we forget that year it was a blast

Thank God for cameras!

It woudda been all forgotten by now !!!

BWAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHhahhahahahahhahahahaahhahahahahahahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Postmeister

1976 , eleven western states. On my then new R90/6. My partner rode a kawi 900 with a kerker exhaust. You could hear him a mile away. I lead most of the way. He complained about my exhause. He said it sounded like a "Popcorn Machine". A shorter trip to Canada two years later. Many overnight trips and day trips later, I am on a 2002 Harley FXDWG and a 6 month old 1300 GT. Love them both.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

bump
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Getting up to speed

My longest ride ever. The year 1986, early July.

The bike: 1884 Kawasaki GPz750E1, the turbo.

The reasons, visiting friends.

The start point, Ft Irwin CA (Barstow)

The destinations Chicago, Washington DC, Ft Rucker AL and Three Rivers MI

Total time out 11 days. (I only had 14 days leave and needed a cushion)

Longest leg, from Ft Irwin to about 60 mile away from ... KANSAS!?!? I meant to go through Colorado to Nebraska. OOPS

Total miles, about 6400, WOW, I thought it was further, perhaps, the GPz wasn't all that comfortable.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Shooting the gap

My longest trip was 2,500 miles in six days, on my '04 K1200RS. A friend and I rode from Beaumont, TX, to the Barber Museum in Birmingham, AL, then on to Little Rock, AR, then Eureka Springs, AR, then Mena, AR, then home.

The Barber Museum was awesome. The roads in Arkansas were great. The fact that it was just two of us was excellent. The bike was flawless. The weather was lousy two of the days but that just added adventure.

Ron
Old 04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

In september of 1981, I picked up a brand new Harley 81 FXB on wednesday and had to park it the next afternoon to wait for saturday, the only day the shop did 1200 mile checks. Saturday morning I unpacked the bike at the shop, they did the maintenance and I repacked it and hit the road for three weeks. The bike was out of warranty (6,000 miles) half way through the trip and had over 10,000 miles when I got home. That 9,000 mile trip was the longest single trip I ever took and 1 year later when the bike was stolen I had 53,000 miles on it. That was my first ever 50,000 mile year.

In 1991, I retired and prepared to do 1992 right, almost rebuilding my 82 FXB that I had picked up in 1986. From march to august of 1992, I put 75,000 miles on my 10 year old Harley, bringing it up to 265,000 miles when the oil pump failed in the mountains of Kentucky. I was home every two weeks, to cut the grass and do maintenance on the bike, so none of the 'trips' ran over 10,000 miles. That was my last 50,000+ mle year.

Getting old and fragile hurts. These days I have trouble staying on the bike for 20,000 miles a year, although I still manage a 6,000 mile trip from time to time. I just don't try to do more than 600 miles in one day any more and I no longer travel more than 3 consecutive 500 mile days before taking a day off.

regards,
Joe
Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke
...That 9,000 mile trip was the longest single trip I ever took and 1 year later when the bike was stolen I had 53,000 miles on it. That was my first ever 50,000 mile year.

In 1991, I retired ... From march to august of 1992, I put 75,000 miles on my 10 year old Harley, bringing it up to 265,000 miles when the oil pump failed in the mountains of Kentucky.... That was my last 50,000+ mle year.

Getting old and fragile hurts. These days I have trouble staying on the bike for 20,000 miles a year, although I still manage a 6,000 mile trip from time to time. I just don't try to do more than 600 miles in one day any more and I no longer travel more than 3 consecutive 500 mile days before taking a day off.

regards,
Joe

Sounds like you're still riding more than 90% of the motorcyclists out there.

To your health bud

Cheers

Ride West 2008
Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Did this ride in 2003. Was on a Yammy TDM900 at the time.
13 nights 8000km. Gulf trip

Russ
Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

In 2002 on my new '02 R1150RT did Seattle to Santa Monica the hard way........East across Canada to the Great Lakes, down to Chicago and the beginning of Route 66. Road West following 66 as much as possible until we hit the Pacific Ocean, then back home to Seattle. Total of 11,500 miles in about three weeks. Longest ride prior was 6500 miles through Alaska.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Idling

I don't remember or keep track of all the miles, but been to many destinations.
My 1st trip was in 1992, from NYC, NY to Frisco, CO to visit a buddy, then on to Phoenix and Payson, AZ via rt.50 and rt.550 from Ouray to Durango to 4 Corners. 4 weeks.
Twice around the Great Lakes, once around all of them in 93 stopping in Winnipeg, the second time across at International Falls, then through the upper peninsula of Michigan in 95. 1 week.
Went down to New Orleans, then on to Brownsville TX into Mexico in 96, only got to take a photo of the welcome to Mexico sign and came back, lost my wallet along the way, but on returning home found my wallet in the mail with all money and credit cards in it. It came with a nice letter from a man named Larry Schultz who found it on the highway in El Campo, TX. Because of him it was the best ride. 2 weeks.
Sometime in the mid 90's went to the MOA Rally in Ashville, NC. 1 week.
Alaska in 98 from NYC up through North Dakota into Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia. Picked up the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek and headed to Fairbanks. Travelled around Alaska some, then went to Haines and took a ferry to Bellingham, WA. (I voted to NOT take the ferry but lost 3 to 1. 5 days on a ferry was a waste of my time and $550.) Headed home through Washington, Idaho, Montana, stopped at Custer's last stand, Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower and some other interesting places. 12,500 miles, 3 1/2 weeks.
All above trips on my old trusty K75s.

Took the next 6 years off from taking big trips.

These trips on the 03 GT.
MOA rally in Lima, OH in 05. 1 week.
Frisco, CO via Sidney, NE to stop at Cabella's on to Moab, UT. Rode many of the passes in Colorado and can't wait to go back. 2006. 2 weeks.
MOA Rally in West Bend, WI over the Great Lakes again. Rode through the worst rain and wind I've ever been in to get into Wisconsin. It seemed like the wind was coming from all sides and the ground up too! 2007. 1 week.
Missed the trip to New Foundland that the rest of the crew took in 08 due to the job. (Much whining and bitching went on over that.)
MOA Rally in Johnson City, TN in 09. Took the Skyline Drive, then Blue Ridge Parkway to the end and camped in Smokey Mountain Park for 3 days. Rode the Tail of the Dragon and some of the surrounding parkways. Then onto the rally.

This trip on my new and blue K1300GT.
This year was The Outer Banks and you can checkout Northsquads thread on that trip.

In between there have been many trips to Niagara Falls, Ontario to visit relatives and many weekend runs.

I'll try and get some photos out when I get back home. Sitting in a hotel right now for work.

I've seen some great places riding around this great country of ours and Canada. And can't wait to see more!!!
10 K1300GT
Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Twisted Wrister

I guess I'm on it now..left Philly a week ago..now in the Yukon..head'n to Anchorage..then back to the Redmond, Oregon. rally..then two weeks in Montana and Wyoming and return home.. I questimate approx. 12,000 when finished.

Clay
currently in Watson Lake,YT
Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Getting up to speed

My buddy & I took a trip in July/Aug 2001 we called "Bandits Across America" - I went on my '99 Bandit 1200, he on his '01 Bandit 600. Here's a write-up I did (complete with pics) of the trip. http://www.unlikelyprofessor.com/bee...ips/bandits01/

It ended up being about 3500 miles or so, maybe a little more. Quite an adventure.

My buddy just moved to San Francisco (ish), so I'm looking forward on making the trip out there again - and back this time around!

--chiba
Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2 years ago I rode from Ohio, both virginias, DC to Alantic city, back to Virginia, then to Ft. Meyers, Florida, and then back to Ohio through Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky...about 3800miles and the longest stretch being 1100 miles in 22 hours.
Pics to follow when I get home from work!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadabout
2 years ago I rode from Ohio, both virginias, DC to Alantic city, back to Virginia, then to Ft. Meyers, Florida, and then back to Ohio through Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky...about 3800miles and the longest stretch being 1100 miles in 22 hours.
Pics to follow when I get home from work!

At the base of the Sunshine Bridge in Tampa

Brigatine, New Jersey (Alantic City)

Midland Trail, West Virginia
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Ready Let's Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltmick
I don't remember or keep track of all the miles, but been to many destinations.
My 1st trip was in 1992, from NYC, NY to Frisco, CO to visit a buddy, then on to Phoenix and Payson, AZ via rt.50 and rt.550 from Ouray to Durango to 4 Corners. 4 weeks.
Twice around the Great Lakes, once around all of them in 93 stopping in Winnipeg, the second time across at International Falls, then through the upper peninsula of Michigan in 95. 1 week.
Went down to New Orleans, then on to Brownsville TX into Mexico in 96, only got to take a photo of the welcome to Mexico sign and came back, lost my wallet along the way, but on returning home found my wallet in the mail with all money and credit cards in it. It came with a nice letter from a man named Larry Schultz who found it on the highway in El Campo, TX. Because of him it was the best ride. 2 weeks.
Sometime in the mid 90's went to the MOA Rally in Ashville, NC. 1 week.
Alaska in 98 from NYC up through North Dakota into Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia. Picked up the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek and headed to Fairbanks. Travelled around Alaska some, then went to Haines and took a ferry to Bellingham, WA. (I voted to NOT take the ferry but lost 3 to 1. 5 days on a ferry was a waste of my time and $550.) Headed home through Washington, Idaho, Montana, stopped at Custer's last stand, Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower and some other interesting places. 12,500 miles, 3 1/2 weeks.
All above trips on my old trusty K75s.

Took the next 6 years off from taking big trips.

These trips on the 03 GT.
MOA rally in Lima, OH in 05. 1 week.
Frisco, CO via Sidney, NE to stop at Cabella's on to Moab, UT. Rode many of the passes in Colorado and can't wait to go back. 2006. 2 weeks.
MOA Rally in West Bend, WI over the Great Lakes again. Rode through the worst rain and wind I've ever been in to get into Wisconsin. It seemed like the wind was coming from all sides and the ground up too! 2007. 1 week.
Missed the trip to New Foundland that the rest of the crew took in 08 due to the job. (Much whining and bitching went on over that.)
MOA Rally in Johnson City, TN in 09. Took the Skyline Drive, then Blue Ridge Parkway to the end and camped in Smokey Mountain Park for 3 days. Rode the Tail of the Dragon and some of the surrounding parkways. Then onto the rally.

This trip on my new and blue K1300GT.
This year was The Outer Banks and you can checkout Northsquads thread on that trip.

In between there have been many trips to Niagara Falls, Ontario to visit relatives and many weekend runs.

I'll try and get some photos out when I get back home. Sitting in a hotel right now for work.

I've seen some great places riding around this great country of ours and Canada. And can't wait to see more!!!

The 2007 trip to the MOA Rally around the top of the Great Lakes was a Challenge. I think we were on the North side of lake Superior when all hell broke loose. I never had wind hit me like that before, it came from every direction including from the ground up. That never happened to me before or since. Like Walter said it was a hell of a storm the electricity was out in Thunder Bay, and the masts on huge sailboats towering 50 feet or so were full os seaweed since the boats had rolled over scraping the bottom of the lake. As for the Newfoundland trip that you missed we had a great time, but we were the ones who were whinning you were missed.
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Old 09-08-2011, 01:40 PM

bump
Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Getting up to speed

[quote=fuyusan]Not the longest I have done, but one of the best:

After seeing the thread title had to give some credit to a gentleman by the name of Gary.

He lives in Manatoba Canada, bought a pair or riding pants in Denver and he liked our HID lights along with our service (just real nice guy and super funny) He said that since he was so close to San Diego he might as well make the extra 18+ hour trip to come down and buy a bowl of soup for me. Travel channel crazy and bizarre food inspired, he says that there isn't much ethnic food so he was willing to make the trip for some.

He was here for the day and turned right back around and went back home to Canada. Thought it was great, a true motorcycle enthusiast coming up with any reason to get on his bike and ride up and down North America. Not sure the exact miles but he was riding R1200GS.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM
To the moon Alice!

Quote:
Don't really know...
In 2003 when I rode 40,000 miles, THCR with BRPR then business to Chicago thru Cinci and Cleveland musta been 4-5000 miles. Was riding with RonR, Rob, KarlB, BW, Vicx and Darren parts of the way...
Longest ride... any one with Shiva, I guess... had to be the longest...

Hey Louis, Was that counting Nautical miles

1973 BLACK NORTON COMMANDO 850
2009 RED K1300GT
Old 09-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Fast Thinker

Send a message via AIM to Corlock Send a message via MSN to Corlock Send a message via Yahoo to Corlock Send a message via Skype™ to Corlock

Akron Ohio to phoenix Arizona. About 2100 miles. It was challenging but a good memory. One.of those things in life you must do.
===============================
2013 K1300S anniversary edition "Special K"...Currently modding as usual. (current as of March 2018)
Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Getting up to speed

1978 on a 75 Kawasaki Z1 started in Newburyport Ma. at the atlantic ocean head in may went south west until we ended up in San Diego rode in a snow storm in the rockies on the way thru Arizona , in May who woulda thought!! followed the california coast north a couple of days then headed east back to NH, an awesome ride hope to do it again some day, i still have the ride journal my wife kept, we spent a whooping $48.00 in fuel to get to San Diego.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,255 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinebiker

Highest daily average- 448kms per day on 5 day trip of 2238kms round Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia and Italy.

Not to brag, but 2188km in 17hrs.... ....I'll never do it again. Having to much fun at DGR decided to stay an extra day and had to make it back home in on day instead of two.

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM

Originally Posted by Alpinebiker

Not to brag, but 2188km in 17hrs.... ....I'll never do it again. Having to much fun at DGR decided to stay an extra day and had to make it back home in on day instead of two.

THAT has NOTHING to do with Alpinebiker's numbers...

448km per day in the Alps is one hell of an average!
Edelweis Tours usually puts in 250 to 300km max per day.

Who would wanna slab 2188km (1215miles) in 17 hours???
Bun Burner Gold territory for the clinically insane if you ask me...

BTW that average of 71mph of continuous riding (all the stops are not calculated)....sounds pretty high considering the gas capacity of the K12... ...

Just sayin'...

Ride West 2008
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Shooting the gap

Did 1174 miles in 23.5 hours as part of a 6-bike Iron Butt SS1000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7310244.jpg (199.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
Did 1174 miles in 23.5 hours as part of a 6-bike Iron Butt SS1000.

So... how do you figure Eric did his 1215 miles in 17 hours?

Ride West 2008
Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Might have been able to do it quicker without 5 HD riders along with small tanks and smaller bladders.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuyusan
Not the longest I have done, but one of the best:

I went to the Kansas Rally via Albuquerque and Deming NM from Omaha. The navigation was kinda wacky. I did Omaha to Albuquerque as a 1000 in one then rested a day or so. I went south via the slab to Deming then returned to Albuquerque via the scenic roads of western NM. There is some very nice scenery in the the mountains of NM but you might need to carry extra water!

After a few more days to cool off and hydrate I headed east on the slab again to the Kansas Rally outside of KC. Fun ride of just about 3000 miles.

New Mexico does have some very beautiful sights! Too bad i didn't go the scenic routes the first few times i was there, Coming from San Diego I went to Albuquerque via the 40 and outside the sunrise and sunset there wasn't much to see. I have a buddy that went to UNM and the last time i went there, i did take the scenic route made the trip longer then the 13 hours it took before but it was worth it.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Having my GPS on avoid rivers, lake or creeks

Slab all the way except getting out of Robinsville. Had my Camel pack and Granola bars for meals and filling up for gas not even getting of the bike (most times).....

Oh and Louis .....Bite me!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
Old 09-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Twisted Wrister

Smile Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

For me, 16,500 miles in 23 days while doing the SCMA 4CORNERS and the IBA NPT(silver level), 25 States, the East & West Canadian Provinces, and 90 National Parks, Sites, Monuments, etc.
Next longest was about 11,000 or 12,000 miles in 17 or 19 days (can't remember, but basically a 2 week vacation with weekends on both ends and maybe an extra day or so)--touring out West and Canada (Banff, Lake Louise, etc).
Just did 5,000 going to and from the BMWMOA Rally, which included one 925 mile day (Oceana NAS to Home) that just happened to be the hottest day on record along the whole route, even Asheville, NC, with a 106 in Memphis! And with the full Aerostich Darian on, in a word, it was brutal.
Ride Safe,
Robert
Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
Having my GPS on avoid rivers, lake or creeks

Slab all the way except getting out of Robinsville. Had my Camel pack and Granola bars for meals and filling up for gas not even getting of the bike (most times).....

Oh and Louis .....Bite me!

You can do all of the above bud, but I don't think that you can do that distance in that time.
A Bun Burner Gold is 1500 miles in 24 hours. That averages out to 62.5 mph...
My initial calculation of your distance was wrong. Total distance of 2188km in miles is 1367.5

Your average is more like 80+ mph ... without calculating the stops.
Just take a tiny little hour out of your ride for the 7 or 8 stops minimum, that average climbs up to 85+ mph...
Then there are them 60 miles from Robbinsville to I-40 that you ain't going fast ...

In short, I don't think so...

Ride West 2008
Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:

In short...I don't care what you think

Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
You can do all of the above bud, but I don't think that you can do that distance in that time.
A Bun Burner Gold is 1500 miles in 24 hours. That averages out to 62.5 mph...
My initial calculation of your distance was wrong. Total distance of 2188km in miles is 1367.5

Your average is more like 80+ mph ... without calculating the stops.
Just take a tiny little hour out of your ride for the 7 or 8 stops minimum, that average climbs up to 85+ mph...
Then there are them 60 miles from Robbinsville to I-40 that you ain't going fast ...

I believe the term is I call bullshit! Actually it is very possible,but you have to ride it like you stole it and forget about meal brakes. I have done Vancouver Reno twice in 14 hours,with meal breaks and gas and smoke breaks. 900 miles. I'm sure I could shave two hours off of that if I was a masochist.Easy on my air head with a 500 km range.