I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Oil Pressure light problem

Has anyone seen this problem?

I had been riding for about two hours on a big trip and it started to rain. It rained so hard I could barely see the car in front of me. With in a few miles in the down pour my oil light came on. I stopped (at a self car wash) and checked my oil level, all was well. The oil cooler is hot as well. When the rain stopped the light went out. 200 miles later it rained again and the light came back on. I finished my trip with the light on and it's been on ever since. I have ordered a new pressure switch. They not a lot of money and I am in the middle of an oil change so I figured it was worth a shot.

Does this single wire connection need to be water proofed? Will dialectical grease hold up to the temperatures and keep the connection more constant? Any suggestions?

Chip
The most versatile bike I have ever owned.
Red 98 K12RS with 50k on the clock!
South Burlington, VT
Old 06-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,982 Times in 2,874 Posts

Re: Oil Pressure light problem

I've heard about pressure switches corroding and failing, so you're likely headed in the right direction. So dielectric grease within the connection probably can't hurt anything. Good luck with it.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Re: Oil Pressure light problem

The oil pressure and gauge temperature sensor are both mounted close together and low down at the front where they can pick up a lot of dirt and water. Their connectors are a simple clip, not even as good as the standard 1/4" fast on.

You only need to do this once: Slip back the rubber boots and unclip the wires, (blue is water sensor). Clean the terminals and connections with a switch cleaner, push the wire back on, add a good bit of dielectric or silicone grease inside the boot and cover.

I did mine over 5 years ago and never had a problem since.

Whilst you are at it, lift the seat and just under the right hand rail there are a bunch of 'bullet' type connections. Some do the speedo/ABS sensors. Separate each one and you will probably find green corrosion gunge inside. Clean both ends with a wire brush, switch cleaner and replace.