I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Ohlins install

My 4 year old gave me a set of Ohlins for Fathers Day! I have an 04 KGT

Yes he is very cool. His mom is not so bad either. I think she helped him pick them out.

Anyway, I spent the day installing them. Actually....they got the best of me. I knew the front required a lot of tear down to install but I tackled it ( minimal dremelling) and moved on to the rear. I was excited to get to the rear because all my research said it is a piece of cake. Not so much.

I have been wrestling with the rear for hours. Not fun. That protected in plastic nut on the top mount is a bitch to hold in place when you are trying to thread the bolt in.

But I think I may have narrowed it down and have a question. The shock is the one with the remote reservoir and remote pre load adjustment. Does anyone know if I can change the orientation of the remote preload adjuster/collar? I think that is my issue. It is hitting the frame of the bike and not allowing me to make the top mount.

This sucks. Please help.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Re: Ohlins install

Is that a new shock? Mine came with collar/hose oriented toward the back so no interference with the frame.

I think you can move it, I just looked at mine. There is what looks like a driftpin locking the collar/big crenellated nut together, that would have to come off then the big nut loosened enough to turn the collar and reposition it.

Are you sure it is not hitting the frame between the upper ears, mine was doing that so I had to Dremel into the frame a bit to position the eye of the shock.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,750 Times in 2,792 Posts

I recently installed a set of Wilber shocks, which are similar in design to the Ohlins, here's a photo of the rear installed, with a link to the install write up, I too found the front to be an easier installation than the rear,

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=wilber

Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Pbegin,

Thanks for checking your shock for me. Actually, my reservoir is plumbed on the side of the shock not the back. That puts my preload remote adjuster around 7 o'clock if I am looking straight down on the shock between the upper ears. It hits the frame.

I will look at pulling that pin and trying to move the preload adjuster to the side and the reservoir to the back like yours.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks CJ.

I think the Wilbur's might be different than the ohlins and the issue I am having. Liked reading your link though.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Entering the on-ramp

CJ,

On another look you have loads of space near the top mount where mine is very crowded. Will post pics later.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Site Contributor

I have fitted the ohlins rear shock and had no problem with the shock hitting the frame. My banjo and feed was orientated towards the rear also. Are you 100% sure you have the correct shock? Would not hurt to check it out. I found however, that the banjo for the hose to the remote reservoir was on the outside ie facing away from the bike like in CJS350's photo. However, the banjo rubbed on the tupperware and I was concerned it would crack the plastic. After some careful measurements to see if it would work, I had the banjo reversed to the inside of the shock by the good dealer I bought it from for no charge. (sometimes paying full retail for a product at home can have its advantages ) I was present in the workshop when he did the job, and it was not easy. He had to bleed the gas, dismantle the shock, remove the spring and shift the parts 180º then rebuild it. The time he spent was more than the removal/install time to give you an idea of what is involved. Of course once you have done a job once, it is always easier and quicker the second time around I bought this issue to the attention of Ohlins, but it appears little notice was taken. Like you, I found the front much easier and quicker than the rear with everything going like clockwork. Can you locate you reservoir under the seat like I have or do you have a carbon canister installed in that position?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012_0618AA.JPG (29.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 2012_0618AB.JPG (39.0 KB, 56 views)
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks Kiwi,

Your post was extremely helpful. The pics were great. I am not averse to paying full price and having a dealer install items for me. It's just that I actually enjoy working on my bike. I find it cathartic and soothing (most of the time).

My banjo location is fine I just need to rotate my pre load adjuster about 30 degrees and I think it will work.

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM

I couldn't edit yesterday, my internet froze...must be the bad weather.

You may be able to turn the whole thing together, spring/collar/nut but that's working against the spring tension. I know they gave me a wrench with the shocks, but I think it is for the front shock only.

However I do have another Ohlin here from a different bike, that wrench may fit. I'll give it a try later, nothing better to do on a rainy monday morning.

I know about the remote reservoir banjo orientation Mr FlyingKiwi mentions, apparently Ohlins changed that a little so the reservoir could be mounted under the seat in place of the charcoal canister instead of over the peg mounts and I did get the updated one. Banjo still toward the outside but at a different angle than the earlier ones so that's why I am asking if used vs new. So still some interference with the plastic but nothing that the Dremel couldn't fix quick.

At first I mounted that reservoir over the pegmounts with a custom bracket, then switched to under the seat but did not like that, too hard to access for "on the fly adjustments", so back to my custom bracket and outside mount and then I get to show.......the gold.

Don't give up, well worth the PITA install. I'll take some pics later.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
At first I mounted that reservoir over the pegmounts with a custom bracket, then switched to under the seat but did not like that, too hard to access for "on the fly adjustments", so back to my custom bracket and outside mount and then I get to show.......the gold. I'll take some pics later.

I'd like to see how you mounted that second reservoir. I could only manage a reasonable fit in the spot where the cannister resided. Waiting on those photos.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Ok lets see....!

Mr. Op, yes that inside nut is hard to get at, easier if you unbolt the bracket for the fuse boxes. Fuse boxes come off the bracket easy, just turn them 1/4 turn they should release. I chew gum when I do them jobs then use a little piece on the wrench to hold the nut inside the wrench, otherwise it may just disappear into the bowels of the bike.

The preloader, altough my Ohlin wrench would fit on that nut I can't get it in there and try turning it for you.

However, if I judge from a similar shock that's missing the preloader hose, it can be turned.

The remote reservoir hose did interfere with the plastic, quick Dremel fix.

The outside mount.....I am pretty sure that the original Ohlin routing for the hose/banjo called for mounting that reservoir on top of the footpeg mount. They changed the banjo angle a little so the reservoir could be mounted under the seat. That means removing the charcoal canister if so equipped, but also means that the reservoir will not fit well strapped to the footpeg. Well....it still would but that means bending the hose more than I was willing to do.

So I made this out of thin gauge SS. Found in the scrap bin at work.

Mounted at the front between the frame/subframe with a slightly longer than OEM SS bolt and SS locknut.

At the back, mounted on the bags bracket, extended that bolt so it stuck through the bracket and then again a SS locknut.

No real interference between the hose and frame etc...but not taking any chances so plastic tubing over the hose:

Little trick....mark your recommended factory settings. Too easy to loose count "on the road" if you change them according to road conditions. Much easier to go back to their presets than going back to zero and counting all them clicks over again and a real PITA if the reservoir is mounted under the seat.

Couple days installing them shocks. I was getting antsy....finished the install, loaded up my gear and hit the road for a couple months. They got tested...!!!

I am now passed their recommended service schedule, much potholes,bumps and gravel roads they still perform as well as new so I think I'll ignore the recommendations for another year....or two.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponserv
Thanks Kiwi,

Your post was extremely helpful. The pics were great. I am not averse to paying full price and having a dealer install items for me. It's just that I actually enjoy working on my bike. I find it cathartic and soothing (most of the time).

My banjo location is fine I just need to rotate my pre load adjuster about 30 degrees and I think it will work.

Thanks again.
I too thoroughly enjoy working on my bike for much the same reasons. My comment was regarding buying parts locally so there is some recourse if things go wrong. Yes the internet is a great shopping basket and I use it frequently, however I am careful what I buy. As for a dealer working on my bike - Never these days
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
Old 06-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Couple questions:

What are the advantages of replacing the stock shocks with Wilber or Ohlins? I don't ride as aggressively as some here probably do, and I never ride on the track. Are they more comfortable, provide better handling, more adjustable, all of the above?

What is the material cost of each set (Wilber vs Ohlins) for an '04 K12GT?

What are the estimated labor hours to install each?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Note my comments in red, within your text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Couple questions:

What are the advantages of replacing the stock shocks with Wilber or Ohlins? I don't ride as aggressively as some here probably do, and I never ride on the track. Are they more comfortable, provide better handling, more adjustable, all of the above?

Yes - to all of the above. For what its worth most agree that the stock shocks are pretty much crapped out at around 25,000 miles - and its not like you'll notice the bike all of a sudden going off the rails, but the ride will deteriorate gradually - so you won't really notice it until you put on fresh shocks, and even then the difference probably won't, at least in my experience, be dramatic, just that the ride quality will improve, as will the handling, to a certain noticeable extent.

What is the material cost of each set (Wilber vs Ohlins) for an '04 K12GT?

New Ohlins or Wilbers, front and rear, will run about $1800. If you keep your eyes open you can find used sets, front and rear for less than $1000 - and they are rebuildable for arount $400 per set.

What are the estimated labor hours to install each?

Don't know what a shop would charge, but front and rear are readily doable at home with a minimum of fuss, regular tools, and some patience and common sense.

The problem really is that as the old series RS/GT have long since been discontinued, its hard to justify spending that much money to upgrade the bike, unless you are planning on holding on to the bike. I upgraded within the last year on a 10 year old bike - in my view it was worth it as I plan on keeping the bike and I enjoy tinkering with it.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Ok guys! Mystery solved.

After wrestling with the rear for about 4 hours yesterday in 90 degree heat I just gave up. Called Ohlins tech support this morning (the horses mouth so to speak) and sent pictures.

Oops...apparently the remote preload adjuster was "clocked" incorrectly. In other words, it was fixed in a location that just would not allow the shock to be installed.

I told them I was in a hurry to get the bike back together and went looking for a spring compressor to fix the issue. Could not find one that worked and most dealers are closed on Monday.

Long story short, Ohlins were extremely apologetic and emailed me a UPS pickup tag and he shock is on its way back to them to be re-indexed. Should have it back in a few days.

This is a great thread and thanks for all the ideas and pictures.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

#1 to everything Craig said. I put Ohlins on my KRS and they are wonderful, worth every penny

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Site Contributor

Okay, so I'm getting ready to order a set of Ohlins for my '03 GT, but there is conflicting information on some of the web dealers sites as to which ones are actually for the GT. Can anyone enlighten me as to the actual part number you have put on your bike? Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

No idea, but I paid about $1800 for both, and they do not make a steering damper, so don't waste your time looking for one. Pirate can order all this stuff for you if you choose.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
Okay, so I'm getting ready to order a set of Ohlins for my '03 GT, but there is conflicting information on some of the web dealers sites as to which ones are actually for the GT. Can anyone enlighten me as to the actual part number you have put on your bike? Thanks

Talk to Dan Kyle at http://www.kyleusa.com/ . I've known Dan for 30 years, he has a truly great shop, and is a quality guy, and I understand it is the # 1 importer of Ohlins in the country.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Flying Low

I had stock shocks on my 04 KRS and Ohlins on my 98 KRS - I can't tell the difference.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
I had stock shocks on my 04 KRS and Ohlins on my 98 KRS - I can't tell the difference.
You have got to be kidding Mind you, brand new stockers and worn out ohlins would be probably be similar. The difference is beyond words. And remember, while a heftyinvestment, you can take them off when you sell it, put the originals back on and sell the Ohlins on fleabay
The family history:
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Talk to Dan Kyle at http://www.kyleusa.com/ . I've known Dan for 30 years, he has a truly great shop, and is a quality guy, and I understand it is the # 1 importer of Ohlins in the country.

to Dan, that's where I got my shocks. Saved well over $500.00 over our Canadian prices but at the time he was running a vendor's discount on ADVRider. And because I was in a bit of a hurry he shipped them real fast for just a few extra $$$.

Beind Canadian I also have to pay duties on the assessed value but.....enough said.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I talked to Liz there today and my new shocks will be shipping from Ohlins in NC to me today. I might have them tomorrow! I guess I know what I have planned this weekend.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I talked to Liz there today and my new shocks will be shipping from Ohlins in NC to me today. I might have them tomorrow! I guess I know what I have planned this weekend.

No problem, glad it worked out. Hopefully the shocks will show up and you'll have a "couple of beers" wrenching project ahead. Here's a link to the front install that I did a week after the rear, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=wilber

Good luck with it!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Flying Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
You have got to be kidding Mind you, brand new stockers and worn out ohlins would be probably be similar. The difference is beyond words. And remember, while a heftyinvestment, you can take them off when you sell it, put the originals back on and sell the Ohlins on fleabay

I just don't ride aggressively enough to take advantage of the added performance benefits. That's probably why my tires last so long.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:

Hey David, remember that it is not necessary to drain and remove the top radiator balance hose. From memory, and yes I do suffer from senior moments from time to time but I removed the top rubber fitting on the shock to allow it to pass the hose before replacing the rubber fitting and sliding it up through the frame. Oh and drop your tire pressures to 34/36 before you go for a ride. You wont need those unnecessary high pressures to stop understeer anymore. Have fun, you wont believe how big your smile will be in the first corner I look forward to reading about it here next week
The family history:
Old 06-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
I just don't ride aggressively enough to take advantage of the added performance benefits. That's probably why my tires last so long.

I hear you Dr Lou, and no criticism was intended. In my instance, I was white knuckled with fear going into corners on the old shocks before I changed over. For me it was a simple choice of swapping out the bike or the shocks - and I still love this ride after 10 years. I'm sure my tires don't last as long as yours
The family history:
Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

I installed an Ohlins rear tonight using some similar methods:
  • Dremel to the tupperware to route the reservoir hose. My routing is a bit different than others I've seen. It's well inside of any leg interference & for sure clear of rubbing on the shock spring.
  • Kept the adjustments at the ready, rather than do a "canisterectomy" & mount it under the seat
  • The banjo fitting angles were slightly off from what fit best for that location, so I gave a careful turn (about 15 degrees worth) with a big "many 1/16's" wrench. No nitrogen or oil escaped (thankfully or I'd have needed an early refill)

As many have said, the rear shock install has more thought involved than one might guess. Thx all for the links & input.
Tomorrow the front goes in! Looking forward to this Sunday's ride with the new legs!

About 2-1/2 years back I replaced the leaky 98' shock with an 02' that had a hydraulic preload adjuster. If anyone wants/needs the custom bracket shown in the thread below, PM me with your info.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=289700&postcount=17
Old 06-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Nice pics and description Skeeter. Thanks for sending. Just out of curiosity was the 15 degrees of banjo adjustment clockwise?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Nice pics and description Skeeter. Thanks for sending. Just out of curiosity was the 15 degrees of banjo adjustment clockwise?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Interesting Mr. Skeeter but mounting the remote reservoir there on the later bikes will not work, the brake reservoir is different and will be in the way.But now that my memory got jogged, that is why Ohlins went from the outside mount to the "under the seat", the larger style brake reservoir on post 2001s. Credits for moving them banjos, I tought about that but I am a long way from a nitrogen filling station.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

Quote:
Actually it was CCW which made the adjustment dicey. I gave the banjo nut a slight tightening after. It needed it.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Pbegin

Where will I be mounting the reservoir on my 2004? I haven't even given that any thought yet. Geesh.......more complicated than I thought.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Pbegin

Where will I be mounting the reservoir on my 2004? I haven't even given that any thought yet. Geesh.......more complicated than I thought.

Thanks in advance

Good question Eh! First I mounted with the bracket I showed earlier, that is after a couple hours of puzzling over the location. Then the following winter I mounted under the seat, Canadian bikes do not have a charcoal canister but still did not like that location at all.

If the banjos were oriented differently it may be possible to ziptie it to the rear footpeg mount, or even if Ohlins had used a more flexible hose, that may have made my install easier. Now that my shocks are not so new, maybe I'll try re-orienting the banjos to mount on the footpeg mount.

Back now to my custom bracket, I like it there where I can easily access the adjustment and show some gold.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 06-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Site Contributor

Under the seat is not a bad option. Yes, a PITA to make those initial tweaks to the settings, but once done, it is really set and forget for most of the time. I have found even for two up riding all that is needed is a good wind on of the preload. Now that is an even more annoying adjustment to make on a regular basis and there is not much room between the adjuster and the power jack. I have looked at it so many times and thought about making one a few centimeters longer to make the job quicker and easier
The family history:
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I've revised my bike budget to anticipate upgrading my stock suspension within the next year or so. This thread inspired me. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
Under the seat is not a bad option. Yes, a PITA to make those initial tweaks to the settings, but once done, it is really set and forget for most of the time. I have found even for two up riding all that is needed is a good wind on of the preload. Now that is an even more annoying adjustment to make on a regular basis and there is not much room between the adjuster and the power jack. I have looked at it so many times and thought about making one a few centimeters longer to make the job quicker and easier

Now don't make me think of another project.....

Looks like just making a square plate and piggybacking that into the existing one would work well. Hum...I do have the materials, maybe today it is raining.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Pbegin

Thanks in advance

I removed the cannister from under the seat, I've have a write up on which line needs to be plugged and which one left open (the one that vents from the tank,) and I'll post it up a bit later. On the US version starting in '02 the rear brake fluid reservoir makes placing the remote rebound adjuster where Skeeter placed his impracticable if not impossible. Pierre's solution is something I'm going to look at more closely - however I've not yet felt the need to mess with the rebound adjustment setting so having it under the seat has not been an issue.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My 04 gt has no canister so I know at least I have that location as a mounting option.

By the way, did they discontinue the canisters in the 04? Or should I assume the previous owner did a canisterectomy?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
My 04 gt has no canister so I know at least I have that location as a mounting option.

By the way, did they discontinue the canisters in the 04? Or should I assume the previous owner did a canisterectomy?

One less task to perform for you as the prior owner must have removed the cannister they were, and are, standard equipment on US bikes.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'd like to see how you mounted that second reservoir. I could only manage a reasonable fit in the spot where the cannister resided. Waiting on those photos.
Hey CJS350, here is the pic you were asking pbegin about of the reservoir mounted under the seat where the canister lives on some models. Not on mine fortunately
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012_0618AD.JPG (13.0 KB, 18 views)
The family history:
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Hey CJS350, here is the pic you were asking pbegin about of the reservoir mounted under the seat where the canister lives on some models. Not on mine fortunately
Geez what happened there? I really must have had a senior moment. Sorry. Can someone pleeeeze delete this
The family history:
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Oops....spoke too soon. Canister still in place. Read a post about someone having erratic idle after canisterectomy. Anyone else?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Oops....spoke too soon. Canister still in place. Read a post about someone having erratic idle after canisterectomy. Anyone else?

When I removed the cannister, there was no noticeable change in the bike's performance. I'll dig out the piece I have on doing it and try and post it up. You just have to make sure that the proper hose is plugged, and the vent hose open to the atmosphere.