I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-16-2018, 07:38 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Re: Need Help with my Smart TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
I'm checking everything - what I don't get is if I shut the amp of 4 or 5 times then the sound is perfect.

The Marantz receiver (it's not just an Amp) is dying, bad relay (do you hear it click when it comes on) or drying out capacitors. Shitcan that thing and add a Sonos Playbar below the TV then all you need is your TV remote! Like I said, I have a few nice receivers in the basement if you want to stick with the setup you have....

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 10-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,540 Times in 3,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
The Marantz receiver (it's not just an Amp) is dying, bad relay (do you hear it click when it comes on) or drying out capacitors. Shitcan that thing and add a Sonos Playbar below the TV then all you need is your TV remote! Like I said, I have a few nice receivers in the basement if you want to stick with the setup you have....
If I go with the Sonos does that eliminate the surround speakers?

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:41 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,424 Times in 2,216 Posts

Give Randy Massey a call, this is what he does. I have his number if you need it.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
Give Randy Massey a call, this is what he does. I have his number if you need it.
Thanks Joe I have Randy's number. I think Rick is right my Marantz is simply old and it is time for something newer. Well of course I didn't originally buy it - it was in the house I bought.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Thanks Joe I have Randy's number. I think Rick is right my Marantz is simply old and it is time for something newer. Well of course I didn't originally buy it - it was in the house I bought.
Just pickup a cheap amp. the marantz itself was no thunder even when new. You can get soemthing in the 3-500 range that will be as good or better.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
The Sonos is great for playing music, not so great for surround sound. There is plenty of information about it on the internet. I have it, I love it, but for good surround sound on movies (and a lot of the streaming apps fail here too) get yourself a good receiver.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,594 Times in 863 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

Quote:
Go Sonos Bruce. Have a 20% off coupon somewhere (brother is head of engineering).
You want: '2' Play 5s (as the main speakers), the soundbar and the Sonos 'Sub'.
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:09 AM
ZNAM
Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,486 Posts

Search Craigslist for a used surround system. There are a ton of good deals to be had... CHEAP!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Search Craigslist for a used surround system. There are a ton of good deals to be had... CHEAP!
True enough I picked up a poor beleaguered guys paradigm based system a few years back for 400 bucks. 2200 dollar retails speakers wow. Wife decided they did not match the decor. That happens a lot combined with most people never getting used to listening to a good sound system or being able to figure out how to use it.

holy crap cheap is not the word.
https://westernmass.craigslist.org/s...eiver&sort=rel
Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
Go Sonos Bruce. Have a 20% off coupon somewhere (brother is head of engineering).
You want: '2' Play 5s (as the main speakers), the soundbar and the Sonos 'Sub'.
If you find that coupon please send it to me - I just may go this route.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
If you find that coupon please send it to me - I just may go this route.
Just a word of caution Bruce and I only know this because I went through it, check online for Sonos horror stories on surround sound. I absolutely love the system and would buy it again in a heartbeat, but know the deficiencies.

And for the record, I own almost all of their components including the Playbar, Sub, Play:5's, Play:1's (my office and bedroom speakers), and a connect amp for my outside speakers. For what they are I think they are amazing. What they are not is the best system for surround sound.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,594 Times in 863 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

Quote:
Just a word of caution Bruce and I only know this because I went through it, check online for Sonos horror stories on surround sound. I absolutely love the system and would buy it again in a heartbeat, but know the deficiencies.

And for the record, I own almost all of their components including the Playbar, Sub, Play:5's, Play:1's (my office and bedroom speakers), and a connect amp for my outside speakers. For what they are I think they are amazing. What they are not is the best system for surround sound.
Not my experience but that's what the internet is great for; making people uneasy. I recently had something on my skin so I Googled for it and yep, it was either 'you're going to die" or, "it will go away".......

Bruce, to Joe's point, tag me off line & I'll get you in touch with my brother who will steer you in the correct path for your needs, if you want to cut to the chase.
No time to read through all the posts however, the newer your separates (amp pre-amp) or integrsted, the better of course as matching legacy equipment with today's peripherals will complicate your life
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:30 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
Not my experience but that's what the internet is great for; making people uneasy. I recently had something on my skin so I Googled for it and yep, it was either 'you're going to die" or, "it will go away".......

Bruce, to Joe's point, tag me off line & I'll get you in touch with my brother who will steer you in the correct path for your needs, if you want to cut to the chase.
No time to read through all the posts however, the newer your separates (amp pre-amp) or integrsted, the better of course as matching legacy equipment with today's peripherals will complicate your life

I would have to agree with this, I have a Playbar, Sub, Connect Amp for ceiling surround and the new beta product I can't talk about driving my large Advent floor speakers for extra front punch when I want/need it. Have you run the Trueplay utility to tune the system correctly Joe? Surround is amazing, frequently we think it is sounds outside it is so good.

Don't know what Bruce has for speakers, if they are built in then go the amp route and skip the Play 5's.

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 10-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
I would have to agree with this, I have a Playbar, Sub, Connect Amp for ceiling surround and the new beta product I can't talk about driving my large Advent floor speakers for extra front punch when I want/need it. Have you run the Trueplay utility to tune the system correctly Joe? Surround is amazing, frequently we think it is sounds outside it is so good.

Don't know what Bruce has for speakers, if they are built in then go the amp route and skip the Play 5's.
Yes, DD5.1 works well after I added a digital optical switch. I had to connect all of my devices through the switch then use the digital optical output to the Sonos. My TV doesn't support DD5.1 through the digital optical port and my version of the Sonos does not have HDMI (I'm not sure if the newer stuff has HDMI which would be the bomb for me). Also, those formats that my TV does support like Dolby Atmos and DTS, DTS-HD is not supported by Sonos (and I am not sure it ever will be supported). My BlueRay player does not transcode DTS to DD5.1 either so I had to hook up a PS3 to play certain disks and the PS3 will decode DTS to DD5.1.

So, it's not that I don't get DD5.1, it's that I had to jump through some hoops and tech support wasn't very helpful. I had to learn about all of this through Sonos's forums. It all works great now but the hassle may not be worth the fix. It may be easier to just get another receiver to take care of all of this.

Bruce may find that this is not that big of a deal as his TV may support the digital optical solution (most Samsung TV's do have this feature, I have a Toshiba). There is also the issue of Kodi on the Fire Stick that does not play DD5.1 but I can live with that. Movies played through BlueRay, DVD's is why I suggested that he look into the issue prior to jumping in with both feet as I did so he can ensure that what he has will work with the Sonos and vice versa.

I could have gone the route of wired surround speakers but I like the wireless aspect of the Sonos. I would also still go this route if I had to do it over again because for everything except the surround sound it was a plug and play affair with great sound. And it's funny about thinking the sound is outside because when I did get it running correctly I got caught a couple of times thinking the same thing! LOL

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Dolt Commander

After posting here yesterday I got turned on to some new product information from Sonos. The new Sonos Amp sounds like just the ticket I need to make my system work as I want it to work. Seems like Sonos listened to it's clients and put some items into this product that is right on target. I guess they will get more of my money when the Sonos Amp is released to the public in February. That is unless Vic can get me a demo unit early.

Sonos Amp article

Great interview with Matthew Siegel, Chief Commercial Officer at Sonos.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Administrator

I do have 5 speakers on the walls hard wired and a big ass subwoofer on the floor. How good the speakers are I'm sure not that great - they are JBL's and have to guess they are about 10 years old.

I don't have a problem doing something else but at this point I would just like everything to work.

A new receiver may be the easiest solution today but this Sonos system seems to be the way to go.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
I do have 5 speakers on the walls hard wired and a big ass subwoofer on the floor. How good the speakers are I'm sure not that great - they are JBL's and have to guess they are about 10 years old.

I don't have a problem doing something else but at this point, I would just like everything to work.

A new receiver may be the easiest solution today but this Sonos system seems to be the way to go.
Wrap all my complaints in a bundle and throw this new solution at it and they go right out the window. HDMI ARC interface solves all of my issues. The TV once again becomes the focus of the surround sound system. I'd also take a wild stab that many integrators are eagerly awaiting this solution because it gives them the ability to bring together top of the line audio into a truly wireless fashion.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 10-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Wrap all my complaints in a bundle and throw this new solution at it and they go right out the window. HDMI ARC interface solves all of my issues. The TV once again becomes the focus of the surround sound system. I'd also take a wild stab that many integrators are eagerly awaiting this solution because it gives them the ability to bring together top of the line audio into a truly wireless fashion.
well now I know what hdmi ARC is in spite of having no componet that can use it.
JustJoe hopws the real world sound of a wireless speaker system rate?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafkaKaffe
well now I know what hdmi ARC is in spite of having no componet that can use it.
JustJoe hopws the real world sound of a wireless speaker system rate?
Not too shabby. I think for the most part, serious audiophiles will find better systems/components than their wireless counterparts. But we are also talking serious money to enjoy that kind of quality. For the cost, and the features, I do enjoy this system.

I will give you a quick story. Randy Massey (htheater) owns a high end home electronics consulting/integration company. We got into a conversation regarding quality equipment and he discussed a engineered system that he installed that sold for $1.5 million (and he sold several of these, more information if you'd like, I don't get a commission!). I scoffed and said "there is no way I could tell the difference between a $5k system and $1.5mil system." He laughed and invited me to his showroom. I was blown away. Literally an amazing system that even I, a semi-audiophile could envy.

So, for the cost/feature rich system that I have I am very happy. Is the Sonos system a $1.5mil system, no. But it definitely has a great bang for the buck.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!