I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Shooting the gap

DNA testing anyone done it?

I did. It was a let down I am 79% british isles 9 percent scandanavia and some french and german with 1 italian back in there about 250 years ago. So that makes me ITALIAN!!!!!!

The health reports are mindblowing and in my case accurate as are the traits.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,158 Times in 2,924 Posts

Re: DNA testing anyone done it?

Which test did you use? My wife and I used Ancestry, and our daughter did as well. The Ancestry test doesn't show medical issues. And, I was finally able to respond to the naysayers who kept telling me that my daughter was waaay tooo good looking to be my kid!

BTW, there was an earlier thread on the topic, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...&highlight=dna
Old 10-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Twisted Wrister

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0&&FORM=VRDGAR

Why would you send your spit into the internet?
Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,050 Times in 404 Posts

Apparently, according to Ancestory, I'm a direct descendent of the Stewarts that ruled Scotland for hundreds of years. My 15th grand-grandfather was James Stewart IV, Kind of Scotland from 1473 - 1513. Also have a trace back some other English royalty and to the Mayflower. BFD, means nothing. Now, if I was only 1/1000ths Native American I could have gone to Harvard. Heck, maybe I could have gone if my Grandma just told me that I was part Native American.

I have a friend who was the head of the Republican Party in Georgia for a while that Ancestory says is a not-too-distant relative of Barack Obama. You can find all kinds of silly stuff in those searches.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Which test did you use? My wife and I used Ancestry, and our daughter did as well. The Ancestry test doesn't show medical issues. And, I was finally able to respond to the naysayers who kept telling me that my daughter was waaay tooo good looking to be my kid!

BTW, there was an earlier thread on the topic, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...&highlight=dna

I used 23 and Me. Its a source of wonder as to how gd cheap my first cousins are as their is ony one showing up in the online relatives section.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0&&FORM=VRDGAR

Why would you send your spit into the internet?
Actually you post it..................cant imagine a peripheral you could spit into but who knows eventaully well all go Gattacca
ultimately to see if I could qualify for a band card but alas no one ever strayed and payed the price.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
Apparently, according to Ancestory, I'm a direct descendent of the Stewarts that ruled Scotland for hundreds of years. My 15th grand-grandfather was James Stewart IV, Kind of Scotland from 1473 - 1513. Also have a trace back some other English royalty and to the Mayflower. BFD, means nothing. Now, if I was only 1/1000ths Native American I could have gone to Harvard. Heck, maybe I could have gone if my Grandma just told me that I was part Native American.

I have a friend who was the head of the Republican Party in Georgia for a while that Ancestory says is a not-too-distant relative of Barack Obama. You can find all kinds of silly stuff in those searches.
Ancestry seems to be selling a cultural disneyland feel with the product. Their ads with people swapping assumed and absorbed culture to what a genetic test indicates are repulsive. Minds me of the time old prof rhinelander spoke of a firend who was uber irish and did all the cliche cultural things would expect. Then finds hes adopted. A Finn no less. Mickey Finn is a tad coarse but hey it springs to mind. ANyway the guy was lost in a wasteland for some daft reason he thought it mattered.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

As background, both my parents had their roots in Russia, with their parents or grandparents immigrating to the US around the turn of the last century.

I always wondered about my blonde hair, blue eyes and 6’1” height. None of my blood relatives is so endowed. As an aside, I’m an only child.

Not so long ago I decided to do the Ancestry.com DNA test. The results:

No real surprise there.

But about a month ago, I got a message from another family in GA. In short, the husband’s DNA and mine came back VERY closely matched. Either the same father or at most first cousins. Further investigation revealed at least 3 other apparent “siblings”, apparently all with the same father.

All 5 have in common: birth in Washington, D.C. in the late 1940’s or early 1950’s and parents who were having trouble conceiving.

Working hypothesis is that what we all share is a common biological father, a medical student in D.C. of Scottish ancestry who was a likely sperm donor. Which is consistent with the DNA origins map above.

I spoke with an aunt who confirmed my mom had trouble conceiving, then had “a procedure” and got pregnant. Pretty consistent with artificial insemination.

Anyway, all quite fascinating - to me, anyway. We’re trying to meet up with the GA couple that began the quest. Maybe a bigger “family reunion” could be in our future.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

Small town Arizona here. DNA testing doesn't work here, as it all matches. I am my own grandpa.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jimmm' for this post: