I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > All 'Other' Motorcycles
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

All 'Other' Motorcycles Discussions of other than BMW Motorcycles

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,586 Times in 3,255 Posts

Kawasaki H2 SX SE

I wanted to check out one of the new H2 SE/SX sport tourers at my local Kawasaki dealer yesterday.

Well of course they did not have any on the floor and the salesman said they only had one last year and it took forever to sell it.

They did not order any 2019's if you want one they will either get it from a dealer who has one or place an order and you have to give a pretty substantial deposit for them to do it.

Talking with the sales guy sounded so familiar - he said the bike is awesome - just can't seem to get enough interest in them to be worth stocking.

He said riders come in and either buy cruisers, naked/sport bikes or the ZX14.

The top model goes for $25K and it even has self healing paint. I think Kawasaki is the first bike manufacturer to offer this.

One thing for sure no way I will be dropping $25K on any motorcycle that I can't test ride first.

At the end of the day it really didn't matter - chances of me buying the Kawasaki over a BMW well yesterday I wouldn't have.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:32 PM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,120 Times in 441 Posts

Re: Kawasaki H2 SX SE

Bruce, I looked over the H2SX (the $19,000 version) at my local Yamsukiondasaki dealer. It is a very impressive bike in terms of fit and finish - better than I've seen from any Japanese company other than Honda. Lots of very well thought out bits all around the bike. I've read a number of the reviews that all seem very positive but I wonder how this engine is for ongoing maintenance? The H2R has a 15 hour maintenance interval on it. Other than de/retuning it a bit, what's to say this thing hasn't got the long term reliability that we'd like in a sport tourer?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 3,003 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
I wanted to check out one of the new H2 SE/SX sport tourers at my local Kawasaki dealer yesterday.

Well of course they did not have any on the floor and the salesman said they only had one last year and it took forever to sell it.

They did not order any 2019's if you want one they will either get it from a dealer who has one or place an order and you have to give a pretty substantial deposit for them to do it.

Talking with the sales guy sounded so familiar - he said the bike is awesome - just can't seem to get enough interest in them to be worth stocking.

He said riders come in and either buy cruisers, naked/sport bikes or the ZX14.

The top model goes for $25K and it even has self healing paint. I think Kawasaki is the first bike manufacturer to offer this.

One thing for sure no way I will be dropping $25K on any motorcycle that I can't test ride first.

At the end of the day it really didn't matter - chances of me buying the Kawasaki over a BMW well yesterday I wouldn't have.
Had I known you wanted one Bruce, I could've picked up this SX SE+ for you at the IMS Show last weekend.

I know, I know... not enough black to suit you!
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 01-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,338 Times in 2,985 Posts

My local dealer had one on its floor a bit ago and I stopped in and drooled. If I was in the market for a sport touring bike now I think this would be it. I'd probably kill myself on it doing something too stupid for even 25 years ago, but I think its a beautiful piece - and $25G is about the going price for any high end sport / sport touring / touring / adventure bike these days.

The dealer might have been talked into a test ride if I had cash in hand and was prepared to buy - the same dealer did let me test the Tracer GT but that's only 1/2 the price of the Kawasaki and about 1/2 the horsepower - a fine substitute in the direction of sanity.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Site Contributor

I really like the H2SXSE but the 22k-25k price tag for the 2 top of the line models scares me away. I paid 11200 for my 2017 ZX14R which has the same HP and more torque than the H2SX. Minus the upgraded electronics I can add risers, peg lowering kit, aftermarket panniers and I essentially have a H2SX for half the price. I did notice steep discounts on 2018 H2SXSE of up to 4 grand so if you're willing to wait deals can be had and money saved. As to the price the BMW S1RR is north of 20k if you get all the bells and whistles. The R12RT, R12GS and GSA all cost between 21k and 25k so the price of the H2SXSE is not out of line with comparable sport touring bikes. If I trade-in my 2018 GS a H2SXSE may be in my future.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Administrator

I would like to test ride one and certainly a black one would be really nice if I were to get serious.

I think late 2019 if my body holds up I will spring for a new RR.

So 2019 could get a little expensive if I go for two new bikes.

I figure this will just make my decision to never retire that much easier.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,839 Times in 2,105 Posts

The owner of this bike passed away before he could ride it. He had ordered the bags, but I don’t know if they are included in this price.

https://www.crosscountrycycle.net/de...OwnedInventory

On New Year’s Day, I went for a ride and bumped into a couple friends, one of whom rode up on one of these. His previous bike is a ‘04 KGT, which he laughed that he hasn’t ridden since he took possession of the H2SX/SE. His main comment, aside from how much he liked everything about the bike, was that the ergonomics cannot be modified...no bar risers, no adjustable rearsets. He also said his Bridgestone rear tire won’t make 2,500 miles.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev

I think late 2019 if my body holds up I will spring for a new RR.

:

So you think Big Bang is the way to go? Yamaha have never managed to prove the theory be it WSB or MotoGP the Suzuka bike excepted or are we going to have to get used to BM being 7/8 years behind the game.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 AM
Thanked 1,448 Times in 822 Posts

Compared to the k13 the Kawasaki looks to me as though it’s been thrown together. “Where shall we put this bit? What about here? Yes that’ll do”. I prefer Kawasaki to the other UJMs but would take a R1250RS and sacrifice a bit (lot) of performance

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
So you think Big Bang is the way to go? Yamaha have never managed to prove the theory be it WSB or MotoGP the Suzuka bike excepted or are we going to have to get used to BM being 7/8 years behind the game.
Chris:

For me any of the elite liter sport bikes are way more than I can ever hope to use to their potential.

Staying with BMW if I stay on a liter bike really makes all the sense in the world for me.

I have a dealer that treats me better than fair - both in regard to pricing and when I'm in trouble service wise has always got me in and out so I don't miss a weekend at the track.

Ergonomically the BMW fits me or I fit it extremely well right out of the box.

It handles well again right out of the box and it sure as heck has more than enough power for me.

Now if the new RR for some reasons turns out to be less than it should be then I may take a look at other brands.

First thing first am I going to be able to ride and do I want to continue riding a liter bike on the track?

Sure they are sexy and all that but the truth is they are more than a handful to ride and at the end of the day you feel it. Much harder to ride than my 300 or for that matter any good 600.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Speed Demon

Reminds me of when I worked Ducati going the one make route you end up in straight jacket,don’t think this new RR will be less but certainly very different from the current offering just by looking at the firing order.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 01-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
Compared to the k13 the Kawasaki looks to me as though it’s been thrown together. “Where shall we put this bit? What about here? Yes that’ll do”. I prefer Kawasaki to the other UJMs but would take a R1250RS and sacrifice a bit (lot) of performance

I really like the looks of the H2SX and from my view point it doesn't look cobbled together. The H2SX styling is very different and doesn't have the cookie cutter effect that makes it look like every other liter bike. With that said the K13S is a better looking bike but between the two I would take the Kawasaki.

The big downside to the Kawasaki is they only come with a 1 year warranty. Paying 20k plus for a motorcycle and only getting a year warranty is a tough pill to swallow eventhough Kawasaki has a excellent reputation for problem free motorcycles. One thing that keeps me buying BMW bikes is the 3 year warranty and whenever I've had a warranty issue BMW has corrected the problem.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
Bruce, I looked over the H2SX (the $19,000 version) at my local Yamsukiondasaki dealer. It is a very impressive bike in terms of fit and finish - better than I've seen from any Japanese company other than Honda. Lots of very well thought out bits all around the bike. I've read a number of the reviews that all seem very positive but I wonder how this engine is for ongoing maintenance? The H2R has a 15 hour maintenance interval on it. Other than de/retuning it a bit, what's to say this thing hasn't got the long term reliability that we'd like in a sport tourer?

The H2R is a race bike designed strictly for the track and maintenance intervals are totally different from the street legal H2SXSE. From what I've read online maintenance intervals for the H2SX are similar to any other liter bike, valve inspection at 15k, super charger inspection at 8k, normal maintenance every 6k. From what I have read on Kawasaki forums the street legal H2/H2SX engines appear to be as maintenance/problem free as any other Kawasaki engine.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post: