I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW S-1000 Series Motorcycles > S1000 XR > "S1000 XR" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Shooting the gap

Body panel vibration

All...

Still loving my XR but had it just shy of a month and 2300 miles and something is beginning to irritate me. Every time the RPM passes through the 4k range + or - 200rpm it emits a loud buzzing noise at seems like its body panels vibrating. When it does it if I touch the black piece right behind the key location it is reduced but still seems like there are more panels vibrating.

I plan to go through it this weekend and tighten every screw I can find and I'm hoping that helps. If it doesn't, what are my options? Stick dynamat on the back of panels?

Its odd because my bike doesn't overall seem very vibey between the range when most people report it 4500-5500 and the handlebar vibes really don't bother me. In fact, I don't really see any difference in handlebar buzz between this and my 2012 K1300S. One demo XR I rode had such strong vibes I could feel it through the seat. My definitely doesn't have that.

It's the sound more than anything else that is really beginning to bother me.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Body panel vibration

Not sure this will help, but if you have had the right side panel off or have had it partially pulled off, ensure that the bung referenced below is fully seated. I had mine off and it was a bit surprising how hard I had to push to get that to seat fully. Left side too.

My best guess I'm afraid.

Maybe taking a look at this link will offer up some ideas to check out.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...iring-removal/

Quote:
Finally, the large plastic bung plug, which is molded more or less at the centre of each section that serves to orient and secure the pieces during removal or installation can be pulled gently out of its frame mounted rubber insert socket

Claremore, Ok
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'dwarthog' for this post:
Old 02-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,073 Posts

Wow Don, that's a lot of info.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 PM
Shooting the gap

Ethan,
Couple of points:
  • Imagine the vibes w/ taper off (some) once engine is fully broken in? But have heard the XR is buzzy - A Bar snake may help ?
  • Armor All is a great "lubricant" to use on rubber grommets, plastic pins, etc. helping to dampen vibes a bit. Works well between plastic panels on auto dashes that vibrate/ chafe over time
  • Screws should be snug, but not too tight, overly tight hardware can sometimes make vibration worse by easily transmitting vibes from a panel resonating @ a certain frequency to another panel
  • Dynamat applied to the back side of panels sounds like a great idea. Start w/ small pieces, going larger if needed. I used Dynamat to effectively silence the aluminum skid plate on my KTM 640. Applied it to the inside after cleaning well w/ alcohol, use a SHARP X-Acto # 11 Blade to trim out opens for drain screws, logos, etc.
  • If all that fails, ship the bike back East, and I 'll sort it out for you, might take a couple of months, but hey, what are friends for, right
Kent.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Westbound' for this post:
Old 02-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Shooting the gap

Don,

Thanks for the info and the article... going to read it and see whats what. I'll have some time this weekend to look the bike over.

Kent,

Also thanks for the info. I'm trying to isolate the noise to panels while riding but only so much I can do from the saddle. I'm going to put it on the center stand and check it out. I don't really want to disassemble the thing but it sounds like someone is touching a vibrator to it or something. Really not a great sound. It might be cheaper to ship you out west rather than the bike back east! :P

Ethan
Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Ive noticed similar issues. Maybe wrong size screw (shoulder height) in wrong place? Mine comes on at higher revs, hard to start feeling around at 7-8K rpm.

Next time I take panels off I am going to make sure all screws are correct type.

Definite buzz at higher rpm on right side. Im usually still grinning though as the tack approaches 9k!
Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 AM
Shooting the gap

mine has that too ... i did touch the panel during riding, my right side definitly vibes more
Old 06-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Twisted Wrister

I noticed that the two ends of the body coloured panels below the headlight were loose, and vibrated at highway speed. You can stand up and look down at them (closed course, professional rider, do not attempt) as you go down the road. There was enough room under each of them for a bit of two sided tape, no more noise.