I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Bad Nutserts in Rear Frame

Installing a factory rear luggage rack that you are required to remove and replace the rear grab handles. Apparently the factory loctite is so strong that 3 of the 6 bolts came out, and the other three caused the nutserts to spin in the frame. I've drilled the heads off 2 and am working on the third. I also have a nutsert tool with the appropriate 6mm inserts. For those that have been there before, how the heck do I get the old pieces out? I sure don't want to have to replace the frame which is $1218! Any suggestions appreciated. TIA.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:32 PM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

Re: Bad Nutserts in Rear Frame

I was aware of this issue, so I had the dealer install mine... they only spun 2 of them, but dealt with it. This was cheaper and better on my blood pressure than doing it myself

Should've been an easy one...

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'kenthegrass' for this post:
Old 10-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaitta3
... inserts. For those that have been there before, how the heck do I get the old pieces out? ....
Leave them in. Center punch and WHAM !! OK, not the best approach but I've done it on 2 K1200S and 1 K1300S. The Germans sure love red loctite.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:12 PM

cabnfvr-as in drive it down into the frame?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Twisted Wrister

Part of the problem is not just the thread locking material. It is that the insert forms a cup in which moisture can collect. The resulting corrosion combined with the thread locking material make the insert and the screw one piece. I only spun one. I also tried using a center punch on the seam of the frame and the insert to cause it to grip - no luck. The headless screw remains. Since I never ride two up, not a problem.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Did the same-staked it every 90 degrees-nothing. Drilled a small hole next to it and drove in a small screw-NOPE! Was able to drill the heads off using a small alligator jaw vise grip pliers to hold the head. I've got a nutsert kit that has the 6 mm inserts, so tomorrow I'm going to try to grind off the shoulder on the factory insert with a small Demel burr and drive them into the frame. Two are on the rear and have access holes so I can fish out what's left. The one on the side I'll coat with JB Weld before I drive it so it will be glued in place inside. Additionally the nutserts I have have a larger shoulder, so they'll have a greater surface area to clamp to. Lacking all that, I spoke with the dealer and they said they could warranty the rear frame. Just don't feel comfortable having half the bike taken apart to fix this B.S.. What a PITA!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Shooting the gap

If it's any consolation to others considering adding the OEM Rear Luggage Rack mine went on without a hitch. Screws came out and went back in like you'd expect.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Did the same-staked it every 90 degrees-nothing. Drilled a small hole next to it and drove in a small screw-NOPE! Was able to drill the heads off using a small alligator jaw vise grip pliers to hold the head. I've got a nutsert kit that has the 6 mm inserts, so tomorrow I'm going to try to grind off the shoulder on the factory insert with a small Demel burr and drive them into the frame. Two are on the rear and have access holes so I can fish out what's left. The one on the side I'll coat with JB Weld before I drive it so it will be glued in place inside. Additionally the nutserts I have have a larger shoulder, so they'll have a greater surface area to clamp to. Lacking all that, I spoke with the dealer and they said they could warranty the rear frame. Just don't feel comfortable having half the bike taken apart to fix this B.S.. What a PITA!

What was your source of metric nutserts? I have the tool with the SAE parts.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 AM

Bought a kit a while back to change the roof rack on my Avalanche-think off Amazon. Came with 5/6/8 MM plus SAE nutserts. Astro Pneumatic Tool Company Model 1442 (www.astrotools.com-made in China). I would assume they sell the nutserts separately?! Or just try Amazon-they seem to have everything. This was good enough for occasional use.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'philsaitta3' for this post:
WPV
Old 10-11-2017, 08:04 AM

P.S. You'd need to get the correct metric mandrels also. My kit came with 3 Metric and 4 SAE mandrels.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'philsaitta3' for this post:
WPV
Old 10-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
cabnfvr-as in drive it down into the frame?
Yep. I could not figure out a way to remove them, then conversely could not figure out how they would hurt just to leave them in the frame rail. A center punch really doesn't take much of a hit to drive them through after drilling most of the top off.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 AM

See above. I drilled the heads off and have between 1/8-1/4" of "stud" protruding from the nutsert. BMW uses what appears to be a countersunk nutsert so the top is virtually flush with the frame-the collar is smaller and appears a lot thinner. I think I can use a Demel burr to cut the small lip and drive them out without damage to the frame. Then install 3-6 MM nutserts that are thicker, so I'll have to shim the other 3 so everything's even. Again, Dealer said he could warranty the frame, but if I can fix this correctly, I'll feel better than taking the whole rear half of the bike off. Wish me luck!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Installing a factory rear luggage rack that you are required to remove and replace the rear grab handles. Apparently the factory loctite is so strong that 3 of the 6 bolts came out, and the other three caused the nutserts to spin in the frame. I've drilled the heads off 2 and am working on the third. I also have a nutsert tool with the appropriate 6mm inserts. For those that have been there before, how the heck do I get the old pieces out? I sure don't want to have to replace the frame which is $1218! Any suggestions appreciated. TIA.

I had the BMW shop install mine. They ran into the same problem, punted and ordered (under warranty) new frame rails. Had to make two visits to the shop, but they did all the grunt work.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Went to the dealer today-BMW approved a warranty claim to R&R the rear frame. That's my fall back position. Break out the Dremel tomorrow and see if I can replace the 3 nutserts. IMHO better then taking half of the bike apart. Surgery in the AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Getting up to speed

For the DIY it's Harbor Fright to the rescue. Set a roof rack on a Cherokee XJ & used nutsetter tool & nuts from HF. Completed w/out a hitch looks as if it was a factory installed unit.
Look for nutsetter tool & nuts in the same aisle with "pop rivets guns" as minimum wage millennials will have no idea what you want.
Buddy then used it to install lower brush guards on his new Rubicon,can't tell if it's a factory installed option or shade tree custom.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'belstaff' for this post:
WPV
Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Anchor Man

Think I had 3 spinners... Been a while, but here was my solution:

Drilled out - using screwdriver to prevent spinning

Pried up collar & pushed rivnut & bolt into frame

Didn't want bolts rattling around, so squeezed in some adhesive to hold it in place

Doesn't look pretty here...

But end result was nice and clean

Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM
Twisted Wrister

I too had three spinners when I replaced my luggage rack

Solution was similar to Kevin C - but I used a chisel instead of screwdriver

On two of them, I could deform the nutsert under the screwcap enough for it to hold and I could get the bolts out.

On the last one, I had to drill the nutsert out - using the chisel to stop it spinning. Bugger of a job, and lots of swearing at designers in the process...

2005 BMW K1200S, Granite Grey
2001 BMW K1200RS, Royal Blue (severely missed)
2000 BMW F650 GS, Dakar (Good times)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Getting up to speed

I bought a rear carrier to fit to a 6 month old bike. Same problem as everyone else and replaced the rear sub frame under warranty . It seems that every K that went into the dealers for a luggage carrier had this problem, not only do they use thread lock on the bolt it is also in the insert.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:26 PM

AFTER ACTION REPORT-My solution was similar to Kevin C above. Used a small alligator nose channel lock to hold them, drilled them out and punched them into the frame. Two were in the cross member at the rear which had access holes in it for other fasteners-made it easy to fish the remainder out. The one on the right side of the frame was similar and was luckily able to get it out with one of those retrieval magnets with a long flexible handle. Had to drill the holes +.01", insert the nutserts (got the tool kit from Amazon above), and put it back together. Roughly 10 hours. The heads on the nutserts in the kit are about 3-4 mm larger in diameter than factory and serrated on the bottom. They grip much better. Just didn't feel comfortable literally having half the bike taken apart to change the frame. In looking at it, BMW uses a nutsert that has a VERY thin head so that the nutserts are virtually flush with the frame. Unfortunately that doesn't give as much clamping force. POOR DESIGN.