I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-26-2014, 11:31 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,106 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy
Re: ABS II was Rebulit by Module Master

Current update as of 6/26/2014....

We have been having setbacks for some time including parts lost in the mail, so we are now in the testing phase with the prototypes and it look like 2-3 more months yet. We have been waiting 2 years also. No one is as anxious as we are to get this thing rolling!

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Getting up to speed

My 2,008GT had the abs failure come up @ 5,200 miles. I sent the abs unit into module masters and was told the problem is the brush's hangup in the holders. Since module masters "rebuilt" the unit I have had no problems with 29,320 miles on the clock!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'xpecoach' for this post:
Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Getting up to speed

Just a quick note.

Many miles and smiles with my ABS II unit. Still purring like day 1 when I installed two years ago.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Still waiting to send mine in.
2009 KLR650
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,032 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozemab
Just a quick note.

Many miles and smiles with my ABS II unit. Still purring like day 1 when I installed two years ago.

Brian,
Thanks for the update on your ABS II.

Unfortunately, Module-Master is not ready yet for full overhaul of Integral-ABS with servos (or ABS 3 if your want). As you know, these are a lot more complex with a lot more parts. In their last update they mentioned a long testing phase of their new components (mainly outsourced I believe).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parts for K1200RS for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Getting up to speed

I HAVE BEEN VERY SATISFIED WITH THE REPAIR ON THE ABS UNIT ON MY 2,008GT BY MODULE MASTERS. I'VE PUT 15,000 MILES ON MY BIKE SINCE MODULE MASTERS PUT THINGS RIGHT AND EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Today's update.... Such BS having to have my bike out of commission going on two years now!

Hi Paul,

Still getting radio silence from the manufacturer for the corrected parts. While we're waiting on them, we're trying a few other manufacturers.

Best regards,

Tyler

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Shooting the gap

Today's update.... Such BS having to have my bike out of commission going on two years now!

Man, that sinks, I'd probably fork over the premium and have bmw do it, I know these BMWs don't like sitting around

Currently Have:
-2004 K1200GT
-2013 Street Triple
-1978 Honda CB400A
Old 09-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozemab

My 1998 K1200RS was purchased last year with 3800 miles on it. It sat in a HD dealership in the back room as it was the owners bike. Tires still had the little rubber nubs on them.

I don't think it ever had a full brake flush in its life.

Bought the bike knowing about the ABS, hoping a good flush and rise would work out . I even bought a GS911 hoping I could reset the error for good.

Dreaded plunger error. Just last year that would have been the kiss of death for an ABS II unit. Then, over on the BMW MOA web site, a fellow owner told the group about

http://modulemaster.com/store/

A few emails with the head technician and my unit was sent off to them. For $350 they repaired my unit! Plus it comes with a five year warranty.

When I mean rebuilt, it literally looks brand new. They bead blasted the main body. It looks new!

I know they must have looked at the circuit board as the tamper proof screws were replaced with Allen head screws. They were very careful pulling the bottom pan off the unit. You can barely see any tool marks.

Usual disclaimers, I have no financial interests in the company. Just a satisfied customer (BMW customer) that saved about $1800us from buying a new unit.

Yes, these units can be saved and be put back into service again.

Don't give up!

To all:
Last week, my 04 K12GT ABS Module went TU. and now the bike has no back brakes. On of the little motors on the unit has stuck brushes or is burned out. You have all heard the money the dealers want to replace it with the same POS part. I contacted Module Masters and they are still waiting on the brushes to fix these parts.
I also complained to NHTSA about the brake module as it is definitely a safety issue. Having brakes fail on you at any speed is officially bad....just sayin'. I was able to haul mine down from a rather smart clip with the front brakes only. The back brakes were about as effective as dragging your feet.
If you want to complain to the feds do so here-
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
If enough of us bitch about this s - - -ty part on this superlative motorcycle, they will look into it and doubtless recall them for a fix. This will take participation , so please pitch in if you have had it with this issue with ABS brakes and let your fellow BMW riders know about the effort.
One more reference-
Module Masters Toll Free-888 892-0764

Cheers,

Magnet21
Old 09-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Ooops, so excited to have my blinking lights gone forever I forgot to say what a great job to Gavin and Tyler and the rest of the crew at Module Masters. Perfect fix, ABS works like a charm, and all in all a thumbs up experience.

Buddy Sharp
2000 K1200RS
Old 10-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Getting up to speed

Thumbs down NHTSA

[quote=Magnet21]To all:
Last week, my 04 K12GT ABS Module went TU. and now the bike has no back brakes. On of the little motors on the unit has stuck brushes or is burned out. You have all heard the money the dealers want to replace it with the same POS part. I contacted Module Masters and they are still waiting on the brushes to fix these parts.
I also complained to NHTSA about the brake module as it is definitely a safety issue. Having brakes fail on you at any speed is officially bad....just sayin'. I was able to haul mine down from a rather smart clip with the front brakes only. The back brakes were about as effective as dragging your feet.
If enough of us bitch about this s - - -ty part on this superlative motorcycle, they will look into it and doubtless recall them for a fix. This will take participation , so please pitch in if you have had it with this issue with ABS brakes and let your fellow BMW riders know about the effort.
One more reference-

Cheers,

Magnet21

You have to complain to get any results with this. As Flyboy said some years back, a lot of these bikes have or will get this problem. Let's force their hand by complaining about this obvious safety issue and ripoff by BMW. Web address for NHTSA is in the post above.

Thanks to all

Magnet21
Old 10-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Site Contributor

For those of us with bikes having the ABSIII (i-ABS) the saga continues with Module Masters, as has been discussed here and in another recent threat. It is indeed disgraceful and irresponsible from a saftey point that BMW won't have defective units replaced, but much has been said about that so I won't rant about it here. The options are limited for getting these fixed and the cost for replacing them beyond what most of us want to spend. However, there is a solution - convert the bike into a non-ABS machine. Some would argue that this is sacrilege and that thier BMW motrocycle must have ABS. Others argue, whats the big deal, we have riden motorcycles for many years without ABS and I'm confinent in my ability to use proper braking technique. So the option is really clear: either ride the machine without ABS or sit and wait for MM to start fixing them.

The recent project bike I purchased (an uncared for 2005 KS) had the the ABS lines disconnected and the brake lines now run directly from the master cyclinders to the calipers and the bike brakes easily. The previous owner however, did not take the time to sort out the electrics so the bike still does not have the speedo and the brake light. I plan on fixing those issues this weekend. This video by Simon Fleming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTn0sLH5b8M was provided in another thread and shows how to do the 1) ABS-ectomy and 2) to fix the electical issues that happen when the ABS unit fails or is disconnected. I am not an expert in making this conversion so you're on your own if you attempt this modification.

If MM ever starts repairing the ABSIII I will consider having it fixed. For now though, I am happy to turn it into a non-ABS unit.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 10-07-2014, 03:11 PM
*Disclaimer below

delete/edit
Old 10-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Unless they claim they are putting in a new commutator I would pass on that fix...I took out my motors out and they were junk along with the brushes, it seems that grit works its way into a vent hole at the bottom of the motors and grinds up the brushes and commutator. The motors were available a year or so ago for a couple hundred bucks each. Quiz them on their so called motor repair parts on hand and see if they tell you they have the commutators on hand.

Who (what) are you talking about? The video is about getting rid of the ABSIII modulator with the integrated servo motors on a 03 K12RS and turning the bike into a non-ABS unit. At present, the ABSIII units can't be re-built.

Black 2013 k1300s
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 PM
*Disclaimer below

Re: NHTSA

[quote=Magnet21]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet21
To all:
One more reference-

Cheers,

Magnet21

You have to complain to get any results with this. As Flyboy said some years back, a lot of these bikes have or will get this problem. Let's force their hand by complaining about this obvious safety issue and ripoff by BMW. Web address for NHTSA is in the post above.

Thanks to all

Magnet21
Unless they claim they are putting in a new commutator I would pass on that fix...I took out my motors out and they were junk along with the brushes, it seems that grit works its way into a vent hole at the bottom of the motors and grinds up the brushes and commutator. The motors were available a year or so ago for a couple hundred bucks each. Quiz them on their so called motor repair parts on hand and see if they tell you they have the commutators on hand.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Today's email update!

Hi Paul,

Thought you might like an update. We're back in communication with the manufacturer and they're working on the sample revisions. The other manufacturer is currently getting the pressure sensors made and we'll be testing those soon. It's doubtful we'll be ready in December, however if the samples work out well we should be up and running during the early part of 2015. Once again, this is all pending on the manufacturer's time-frame.

And I do believe you're one of the first on the list. We don't have many that are still waiting after two years. I've also included a picture of the sample pump motor armature, just in case there was doubt we even received sample parts.

Best regards,

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks. I asked the TN firm (AIS I believe) for references on successful repairs to these modules. They were unable to furnish any.

I will wait on MM to get what they need and then proceed.

I also wrote to BMW corporate in Germany and received a reply that my module complaint would be "sent to the proper department to be addressed." Don't have a lot of confidence in their "addressing" the complaint, but we will see and I will post the results.

Magnet21
Old 03-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Thanks. I asked the TN firm (AIS I believe) for references on successful repairs to these modules. They were unable to furnish any.

I will wait on MM to get what they need and then proceed.

I also wrote to BMW corporate in Germany and received a reply that my module complaint would be "sent to the proper department to be addressed." Don't have a lot of confidence in their "addressing" the complaint, but we will see and I will post the results.

Magnet21

Did you ever get a reply?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Cool Re: ABS II was Rebulit by Module Master

Hey Magnet
Great idea reporting them to the Feds. I have written AND called BMW about this problem. It fell on deaf ears. This cannot be a major money problem for them. It is their arrogance that I have trouble with. Maybe the Feds will shake their butts up or an embarrassing law suit when someone gets hurt or killed. I'm reporting them. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Getting up to speed

MM sent me an email about still waiting on some repair parts for the modules that were coming from
China. Apparently this is a chronic problem for them.

BMW corporate referred my complaint to one of their US based person who wanted complete service records for the bike and offered that I should have it repaired at a BMW dealer at my expense and then any assistance they might furnish would be considered. I told them I avoided card games in which the only money on the table was mine.

AIS fixed the module and the the total came to a little over $300 including the R & R done by George at Beemers Uber Alles in Manassas, VA. Works as it should.

Shame on BMW for their attitude and arrogance. I doubt I will buy another one.

Cheers
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Magnet21' for this post:
Old 03-15-2015, 10:40 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

What year is your bike.. And who is AIS?

Oh nevermind, I see above. AIS Has a high failure rate on their repairs. Keep us posted on your unit.

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 03-15-2015, 11:12 AM

A dont kow about AIS or about their failure rate but at 300 bucks it is way better than the failure rate at BMW with a 2500 dollar fix . How do I contact AIS. My dealer ran some kind of by pass and the system works fine but the failure light flashes so we taped it over .
BMW's corporate integrity is questionable on this issue. It may just be some lower level jerk circling the wagons and covering their asses but when some kid gets killed or something else happens and the finger points to BMW some smart lawyer is going to make a fortune. These decisions by major corporations seem to have a way of coming back and biting them on the ass. The dealers are just as upset as we are when they have to sit down with a customer and give them the "module talk". I've been waiting over 2 years for MM to come up with a module so I'm ready to see what AIS has to say. How do I get in touch with them?
I've got a 2004 K12RS....
Drj
Old 03-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Hey Magnet,
I just filed my complaint with the Feds. I know BMW reads the forums. I don't feel bad about turning them in either. I have called them twice and their refusal to acknowledge this as a problem when the entire K bike community knows about it just compounds my frustration. Too bad everyone doesnt file a complaint. Wish I had thought about it long ago. I have a friend who is a attorney I am going to tell him to look at ways to make a buck from this too.
Going for a ride. Low 70's today in Louisiana.
drj
Old 07-30-2015, 06:14 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

UPDATE!

Tyler at MM has shipped me out a rebuilt ABS unit for the mighty K ..I should receive it in a few days and then installation will begin. The K has sat quietly in the garage for the better part of three years waiting for this moment to arrive.

Thanks to Tyler for finding enough parts to create one working I-ABS unit for me.

Cost $350 with a 5 year warranty. Buying from BMW was not an option! Who would shell out $3K for a unit that would inevitably fail once again ..

My plan is to remove all farkles off of my 01 onto the 04 I recently bought including the panels and then sell the 01 with the new ABS unit installed and Zebra panels....I'll take my chances with the I-ABS on the 04 it had a recent flush and works as intended.

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 07-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Great News! Be sure to complain to the feds as well.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Site Contributor

That is great news. I sold my abs 3 bike last week but informed the new owners. Hopefully they will also be able to have their modulator repaired.

Black 2013 k1300s
Old 07-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Shooting the gap

Great news!

I no longer have my 04 KGT but I'm glad to hear that there was progress

Currently Have:
-2004 K1200GT
-2013 Street Triple
-1978 Honda CB400A
Old 09-14-2015, 09:04 PM

Question.
what version of ABS does the 04 Kgt have?
Thought I'd try here instead of starting a new thread.

Coming off an 02 1150RT, diy'd that bike every year
Old 09-14-2015, 09:15 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsig
Question.

The I-ABS that is prone to failure.

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 09-14-2015, 09:23 PM

Is that the integrated type, where front applies the rear and vise versa?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:
Is that the integrated type, where front applies the rear and vise versa?

Front applies all. Rear applies rear. This is why they call it integrated.

If you startup the bike and pull in the hand break and hear a whining sound, it's the integrated brakes.

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 09-14-2015, 09:26 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Question.

In the USA market, between 2002 and 2006, every BOXER (R1150, R1200...) and every K1200RS, K1200LT, K1200GT, K1200S have the same basic IABS modulator with servos. In the rest of the world, BMW began implementing IABS with servos in 2001. They do not share the same part number because of software implementation and bracket holder, but the basic internal design is the same.

Only major difference on some later models (like R1200 series, K1200S, K1200GT...) is that 2005-2006 have a similar system but with a CANBUS connection.

It is only in 2007 and later, that BMW implemented a newer and simpler system (except K1200LT kept the same old IABS). These newer ABS modulator have less components, are easier to repair, but they also had their share of problems (mainly electrical motor brushes holder).
Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 PM

Smile Re: ABS II was Rebulit by Module Master

Ok thanks, glad they changed that. Is difficult to drag the rear on my rt, which is still working at 213kmi.

Just confirmed a fly n ride today on the gt, bleed is top of the list.

I'll be back! I hope not often though.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:47 PM

Sailor, good info. Helped a buddy bleed his 03 RS a while back, seems I remember it was same procedure/sequence .
Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
The I-ABS that is prone to failure.

To all-re: the substandard and dangerous ABS systems on BMW motorcycles.

My senator has assigned one of his staff member to find out why the NHTSA has taken no action on the complaints to them about this systems. If you haven't written your legislator yet, give it a shot. Negotiating directly with NHTSA is exactly like arguing with a stop sign.....ya' can't win.

I also wrote to MCN (good pub by the way) and received this reply from their editor about the sorry ABS on BMW's. Please note the bolded print and let's step up the pressure :

Jim,
MCN also had a failure on an older GS with the power brake system and we roundly criticized the system in our tests.But BMW received enormous pressure from a single German citizen who bombarded the media with and government entities with letters, so that BMW finally did discontinue the system.
I totally understand your frustration with NHTSA. We have also seen NHTSA drag its heels on the H-D cam bearing problems, never issuing a recall. Sadly, the fact that your bike is 11 years old will probably work against you.
Good luck,
Dave Searle
Editor-in-Chief, Motorcycle Consumer News

Cheers to all,
Magnet 21

Old 09-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
To all-re: the substandard and dangerous ABS systems on BMW motorcycles.

My senator has assigned one of his staff member to find out why the NHTSA has taken no action on the complaints to them about this systems. If you haven't written your legislator yet, give it a shot. Negotiating directly with NHTSA is exactly like arguing with a stop sign.....ya' can't win.

I also wrote to MCN (good pub by the way) and received this reply from their editor about the sorry ABS on BMW's. Please note the bolded print and let's step up the pressure :

Jim,
MCN also had a failure on an older GS with the power brake system and we roundly criticized the system in our tests.But BMW received enormous pressure from a single German citizen who bombarded the media with and government entities with letters, so that BMW finally did discontinue the system.
I totally understand your frustration with NHTSA. We have also seen NHTSA drag its heels on the H-D cam bearing problems, never issuing a recall. Sadly, the fact that your bike is 11 years old will probably work against you.
Good luck,
Dave Searle
Editor-in-Chief, Motorcycle Consumer News

Cheers to all,
Magnet 21

I'm in the process of doing the same thing here in the UK!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip43
I'm in the process of doing the same thing here in the UK!

Keeping this complaint alive will eventually keep one of our riders/passengers alive as well with brakes that work ! Keep up the pressure, politicos and bureaucrats don't like that and are more likely to get it off their backs by shifting responsibility to BMW where it belongs.

Magnet 21
Old 09-17-2015, 09:51 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

If I parted out a bike, does anybody know what would be the best way to store a MM for awhile.
Dot4 or fill it with some oil??

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 09-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
It is only in 2007 and later, that BMW implemented a newer and simpler system (except K1200LT kept the same old IABS). These newer ABS modulator have less components, are easier to repair, but they also had their share of problems (mainly electrical motor brushes holder).

John, I've just started getting the red brake failure light and will use my GSA 911 tonight to see what the fault is.... If it comes down to a pump swap I read where MM (or similar) was repairing these pumps - is that still true?

Thanks!
Stephen
Old 09-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCU2WYO
John, I've just started getting the red brake failure light and will use my GSA 911 tonight to see what the fault is.... If it comes down to a pump swap I read where MM (or similar) was repairing these pumps - is that still true?

Thanks!
Stephen

BTW - this is on an '07 American K1200 GT....
Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:

Thanks!
Stephen

Quote:
BTW - this is on an '07 American K1200 GT....

These 2007 and later models have the 2nd generation of IABS that is simpler. In most cases, the problem is cause by the dreaded stuck motor bushes. There is a tutorial here to fix it yourself if you are handy and very patient. See this thread:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=41457&page=2

Another option is to sent it to Module-Master in Idaho. Their web page refer to these as IABS2 to differentiate with earlier IABS (2001-2006). Look at bottom of this web page where they list BMW models and ABS-unit part number they can fix. Also read the warning in RED that certain type of problem may be more complex to repair:
http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sho.../abs-ate-abs4/

Of course, reading the GS911 error code (if any) will be handy to give them over the phone before you choose to sent it to them,
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
These 2007 and later models have the 2nd generation of IABS that is simpler. In most cases, the problem is cause by the dreaded stuck motor bushes. There is a tutorial here to fix it yourself if you are handy and very patient. See this thread:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=41457&page=2

Another option is to sent it to Module-Master in Idaho. Their web page refer to these as IABS2 to differentiate with earlier IABS (2001-2006). Look at bottom of this web page where they list BMW models and ABS-unit part number they can fix. Also read the warning in RED that certain type of problem may be more complex to repair:
http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sho.../abs-ate-abs4/

Of course, reading the GS911 error code (if any) will be handy to give them over the phone before you choose to sent it to them,

EXCELLENT - thanks for the direction! I'm tempted to do this myself and will study further on the approach!

Thanks again!
Stephen
Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Getting up to speed

I finally got some time last night to use the GS-911 and do a fault check on my '07 GT - sure enough the GS-911 reported both the 24048 & 24049 power faults at the ABS pump - reported voltage was 1.29 volts.... I've been pretty religious with my maintenance and brake flushes schedules - my bike has 52K miles on it and I recently replaced the clutch - I feel pretty well served by my GT.... That said, this ABS motor design is pretty lame....

I really appreciate the communication and community here that has eliminated an unnecessary expense and directed me to the options available for this simple repair!

Thanks you all for your experimentation and communication of BMW repair alternatives!
-Stephen
Old 09-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Getting up to speed

Latest stab at this- I replaced the 5 year old battery since the accursed ABS seemed willing to "wake up" and work if I charged the old battery all night at 4 amps. It worked as advertised for about 50 miles and then crapped out again. I was thinking "aha-tired battery" and replaced it with a new Yuasa. I charged the new one after filling it with acid and installed it. The new battery didn't change anything. The bike still has "sometimes" front servo brakes and no rear servo brakes. The new battery has 13.6 static voltage and just under 14 at idle. Any advice out there? Also, I am still waiting on NHTSA to respond to my inquiry through my legislator....please keep up the pressure on your reps to get something done about all these dangerous failures.

Now for a rant- I think that BMW has known about the defects in the system from day one. If not, then why was it dropped from production? I see the required dealer servicing on such a frequent basis as a convenient way to blame the owner for the failure of these defective systems. Having your wallet emptied to get this dangerous system repaired with the same defective parts doesn't seem logical either. Are the replacement parts used "improved"? Then what was wrong with the ones in the system when it originally left the factory? Why was it allowed to be sold with this obvious safety defect that places the lives of riders and passengers in danger of injury or death if the system fails? Getting hard to trust manufacturers to do the right thing these days.

In the same vein, remember the BMW "silent recall" on the ECU for 04 GT's? The problem was stumbling or quitting of the engine with less than very gentle application of throttle when the engine was cold. Mine had it and it was quickly repaired by a dealer at no cost to me. I am no engineer, but quitting or stumbling under throttle application when the engine is cold speaks to having a very lean idle mixture......to pass government required emissions tests perhaps? What was the fix, a richer mixture that would prevent the stall or stumble? Would this richer mixture pass emissions tests? There was no requirement to retest after the new ECU's were installed. Look at what just happened to VW over a very similar issue.........

Cheers to all
Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Getting up to speed

Cheers to all

The following appears in the General K12 section. We got some help from MCN on this.....

Magnet21
Getting up to speed
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts Join Date: Oct 2013

BMW faulty ABS Systems
To all who have followed this issue or had this problem-
We got some support from MCN (great pub BTW) on this defect in the November issue on page 9. Pour it on to BMW's website at- (http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html) and to NHTSA at- (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/) so this situation can be corrected. Here is the article:

Bureaucratic Red Tape

I filed two safety complaints with

the NHTSA in September 2014. These

had to do with numerous documented

failures of BMW motorcycle brakes

on several model years. I have a 2004

BMW K1200GT and the servo assist

for the rear brake failed in September

2014. This made for an exciting stop

using only the front brake. The part

that failed was the ABS module pump,

which renders the rear brake inoperative.

Dealer repairs to this system can

run in the vicinity of $3000 and they

replace the failed parts with identical

parts that have the same failure potential,

so no real fix is being provided, just

wallets are being emptied for questionable

repairs.

I filed complaint numbers 10630065

and 1063775, but apparently NHTSA

does not consider brake failure on motorcycles

as a safety issue. I beg to differ

with them and called them this morning

to ask what happened to my complaints,

as they were never answered and this

brake failure issue continues on without

being addressed. They were unable or

unwilling to address what happened to

the complaints other than if they were

seen as meritorious, they would be

looked into for a possible recall. It has

been a year and the only information I

have received back from NHTSA was

a form letter with their email addresses

and toll free numbers. I was actually

hoping for a little more.

Can you help get this agency to look

into a valid complaint and do the right

thing here? No brakes is dangerous

and replacing failure-prone parts with

more failure-prone parts is equally dangerous.

This has rocked on for a year

with no responses to my queries. Isn’t

a year enough time to address a serious

safety complaint? If you call them, be

prepared for endless waits on hold and

people that talk in circles and provide

no valid information. Even though one

struggles to be polite and courteous with

this agency, it is very trying to speak

with them and get nowhere. I wrote to

you about this once before and received

a nice response, but did not receive anything

from NHTSA.

Jim Scott

Woodbine, MD

I know a lot of BMW owners aren’t

enamored with BMW’s servo-assisted

brake systems, though I hadn’t heard

of fatalities or serious injuries...not

that lack of fatalities makes the situation

any less dangerous. The NHTSA

seems to work in strange ways. I was

approached at a BMWRA rally by one of

their investigators back in 2005 regarding

my opinion of the plastic fuel line

coupler failures on Aprilia motorcycles

of the day. These were identical to the

couplers on some BMW cycles and had

resulted in fires and total destruction

of several Aprilia bikes, though all riders

involved had escaped unharmed. I

had previously contacted the manufacturer

of the couplers (Colder Products

Corp.) and was told those failures were

to be expected, as the parts were never

intended to be in contact with gasoline,

let alone gasoline “extended” by

blending with ethanol. I gave this information

to the NHTSA inspector, expecting

that all plastic couplers would be

recalled. Instead, a recall was issued

a year later that involved only one of

the four couplers in question. Owners

were then left to cobble together their

own solutions for the remaining couplers,

several of which resulted in fires.

Asking the inspector about the breadth

of the recall, I was told that recalls are

often the result of negotiation between

NHTSA and the manufacturer involved,

and that NHTSA can not actually force

a recall, though they can make life difficult

if the manufacturer is totally unresponsive.

He suggested to me that the

best way to get action on these issues

is for owners to flood their website with

failure complaints and to provide as

much documentation as possible. I’m

certain the NHTSA does, indeed, consider

motorcycle brake failure a safety

issue, but the complaints submitted

may not have been numerous enough

or well enough documented to get their

attention.

—Stu Oltman

Old 10-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Getting up to speed

Thank you for the summary and detail; additionally, to their credit -- BMW has a social media connection - FB/Twitter .etc -- putting the ABS problem in the public forum makes these complaints more visible....

Just a thought - post in FB BMW Motorrad USA

I also just diagnosed my ABS pump failure....
Old 10-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Great idea. I will post it on FB. What model is your bike?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Getting up to speed

I also just found the sticker and letter BMW sent out on 31 August 2005 in which they admitted the dangerous system can fail and cause injury. They suggested that BMW dealers would offer a free brake inspection through April 30, 2006. I guess that means they after that date the defective systems somehow became safe ?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Getting up to speed

I guess they don't like complaints about their dangerous braking systems on their FB page. It was taken down.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Entering the on-ramp

MODULE MASTER UPDATE..........

I was getting concerned that Module Master has been giving iABS repair dates over the past few years even though they are nowhere near ready to repair these units, and sent them an email as follows regarding the proposed timeframes for the expected repair release date........

"I have been reading forums for quite a while, and this is a comment that has been echoed about for 2 years that I’m aware of….. We are all getting excited as its getting close, but its like we have the proverbial carrot in front of the horse….. Is this a realistic timeframe, or is this a continuation of what's been said the last couple of years?

The longer this goes on, more owners of these units are re-routing plumbing and converting to a manual braking system, with which many of them are happy to stay with.

Hoping that light can finally be seen at the end of the tunnel and we are able to have these units rebuilt."

and the reply is pretty much the same giving as whats been in the forums for a few years as follows.......

"I just got an official response from Tyler, the tech working on the program:

We are currently trying to make the final adjustments to the remaining parts we are having manufactured. Most of our parts have been produced and are in inventory (not for individual sale). The two remaining parts are critical and we won’t go into production until these parts are exactly what we require. There is no ETA on this. However, once the parts are perfected, everyone on the waiting list will be notified of a roughly two-month waiting period. Then we will begin production."

So once again we are none the wiser...... I am aware that this is a complex component to repair. but I would prefer not to hear any proposed timeframe untill they have sorted the issues out.... I would rather spend time on the bike, and am contemplating doing the manual braking conversion which I'm afraid that I might like
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'dukabmw' for this post:
Old 04-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukabmw
MODULE MASTER UPDATE..........

I was getting concerned that Module Master has been giving iABS repair dates over the past few years even though they are nowhere near ready to repair these units, and sent them an email as follows regarding the proposed timeframes for the expected repair release date........

"I have been reading forums for quite a while, and this is a comment that has been echoed about for 2 years that I’m aware of….. We are all getting excited as its getting close, but its like we have the proverbial carrot in front of the horse….. Is this a realistic timeframe, or is this a continuation of what's been said the last couple of years?

The longer this goes on, more owners of these units are re-routing plumbing and converting to a manual braking system, with which many of them are happy to stay with.

Hoping that light can finally be seen at the end of the tunnel and we are able to have these units rebuilt."

and the reply is pretty much the same giving as whats been in the forums for a few years as follows.......

"I just got an official response from Tyler, the tech working on the program:

We are currently trying to make the final adjustments to the remaining parts we are having manufactured. Most of our parts have been produced and are in inventory (not for individual sale). The two remaining parts are critical and we won’t go into production until these parts are exactly what we require. There is no ETA on this. However, once the parts are perfected, everyone on the waiting list will be notified of a roughly two-month waiting period. Then we will begin production."

So once again we are none the wiser...... I am aware that this is a complex component to repair. but I would prefer not to hear any proposed timeframe untill they have sorted the issues out.... I would rather spend time on the bike, and am contemplating doing the manual braking conversion which I'm afraid that I might like

Just a reminder for those of you considering a Module Master rebuild of an I-ABS (2002-2006) unit (if and when they get it sorted out); they have an active list of emails to contact once they have it perfected,...so, if you want to know when they have it done,....contact them and give them your email address.

Brian in Austin
Old 04-07-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
Just a reminder for those of you considering a Module Master rebuild of an I-ABS (2002-2006) unit (if and when they get it sorted out); they have an active list of emails to contact once they have it perfected,...so, if you want to know when they have it done,....contact them and give them your email address.

Brian in Austin
Thanks mate.

But got sick of waiting it's long gone. The lot has been removed and won't be relaced.

Stress management at it's best.

Honda K750
Honda CB350
Yamaha XS1100
Honda VTX1800
BMW R1100RT (Deceased)
BMW K1200RS/GT
BMW R1150GS 2000 Model
Old 04-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider

Brian in Austin

If you read all the previous posts, and searched the net for other forums where this topic has been raised, you realise that "they will be ready soon" has been bandied about for years............the bike might be gone or I may have just totally removed the ABS by they time we get the emails saying they are now doing it.......... Just saying, but yeah I have my name down and waiting... and waiting