I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Overmaintained

K1200GT/RS Short Shift Mod

Been reading up on the short shift mod for these bikes and decided to try it myself.
Its not overly complex or expensive, and the result is worth it.
I bought a spare gearbox lever and linkage on fleabay just in case I stuffed it up, but i didnt really need to, now I've got a spare. The only other thing I bought was some 16mm aluminum rod to make the extension.
If I did it again i would use 18 or 20mm rod as there is plenty of room for the larger diameter
The result is awesome, I love the shift now.
I took a few pics along the way....

With the shift lever removed from the bike you can see the pivot and ball joint arm are originally the same length.
We are going to lengthen the ball joint arm by 33mm, and shorten the gearbox lever by the same amount.

To start out with remove the gearbox lever, cut 33mm off it and drill and tap and M6 thread and reinstall the ball

This is how it looks after it has been shortened.

A quick hand drawn pic of the ball extension.
The ball joint extension is just a piece of aluminum rod with an 11mm hole drilled 20mm deep at one end, and the other end drilled and tapped M6 for the ball.
I tapered the 'ball' end just to tidy it up but its not really necessary. The 11mm hole was a very tight fit so i drilled 1/2 of the depth at 11.5mm just to widen it a bit.

This is what you end up with.

To install the extension, I roughened the end of the shift lever with some emery and mixed up some epoxy resin to fill any gaps in the fit of the extension as it slips over the shift lever.
A light tap to snug it into place and then I drilled and roll pinned it in place and let it set.

The 'before' measuring 25mm.

And the 'after' measuring 58mm. Extended by 33mm (Camera angle doesnt show it perfectly, but it is 58mm)

This is how the completed mod looks.
I invested in some replacement foam washers to seal up the ball joints

I installed it in the bike (here i have the exhaust out while I change the oxygen sensor).
Im not totally happy with the final position of the shift pedal.
Its too high for me, so I shortened the ball link to bring the pedal down a bit.
You can see in the pic, from the pivot the shift lever comes out horizontally.

Original ball link length.

Shorthened ball link length.
To get it this short I had to cut a bit off the thread and run it through a die to extend the thread.
There was a bit of fine tuning needed to get this right, but this is the measurement I ended up at.
If you go too short the shift lever hits the heat shield.

Back in the bike with the shortened ball linkage.
You can see how now from the pivot the shift lever is angled down a little,
this drops the pedal height to where I like it at about 8 o clock relative to the footpeg.

Showing the mod from a few different angles...

Everything back together the way it should be.
And a new oxygen sensor too. (fixed my little idling problem)

Clearance above the heatshield is just right, it doesnt hit on the downshift..
Shift pedal position is perfect for me now at 8 oclock, but it all comes down to personal preference I suppose.
Neutral can be a bit tricky at first, just takes a bit of getting used to.

And I dont feel any compromise with the tradeoff between reduction of leverage and increase in mechanical force.
It doesnt take much force to change gears. In terms of effort, the force needed on the shift pedal to change gears feels about the same.

Its awesome now snicking through the gears, I love it.

Hope someone considering this mod may find this useful.

Roland.

'04 K12GT ...... '04 R11S
Previously
ZZR1100D4, CBR1000FL, GSX600FL, GS250FW, RGV250VJ22, GSX250
The following (13) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,827 Times in 2,818 Posts

Re: K1200GT/RS Short Shift Mod

Nicely done Roland, thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:49 PM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,430 Posts

Great write up Roland!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

Very nicely done, brought back memories of doing mine (enough so that I took a pic to see the length & approach differences). The roll pin is a good add over just the threading. I did a 2 piece config of a brass threaded collar + a custom (longer) rod end. Mine has about 1/2 of the amount cut off & still crisps up the shifting nicely as a data point for others considering the same. Nice job & write up!

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Skeeter' for this post:
Old 03-18-2015, 06:31 PM
*Disclaimer below

Nice job! I would throw the spare one under the seat, because everyone drops the GT sooner or later maybe even twice
Sticky admin?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,782 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Nice job!
Sticky admin?
Yep, I'll make it a sticky.

Nice job Roland! Thank you!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 03-19-2015, 04:59 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Nice job and write up.

For somebody not wanting to work out what the mod is doing, what are the benefits?

Is the oem linkage shortened so parts can be removed, the angles changed for more positive shift, or the distance ratio changed to reduce toe travel at the boot for each shift?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Getting up to speed

Hello,

I am curious about what functional change this mod is addressing?

Is is simply to lower the normal position of the shift lever? Or is it to lessen the throw between gears? Please elaborate.

You did such a nice job in the pictures and steps, I would like to understand more.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Different every day

Very workman-like...well thought out and beautifully executed. This takes me back to older days at i-BMW when people would just do a job instead of looking for a kit.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbe1
Hello,

I am curious about what functional change this mod is addressing?

Is is simply to lower the normal position of the shift lever? Or is it to lessen the throw between gears? Please elaborate.

You did such a nice job in the pictures and steps, I would like to understand more.

Thanks!

There's a good explanation with customer comments here:
http://www.pirateslair.net/VerholenQSK.htm

The shifter height is changed by the link settings.
There's a separate mod that many have done to rotate the lever end up, giving boot room for a USA man sized boot.
This mod makes the throw more typical to other bikes for less of a pronounced foot motion when "snicking" through the gears as the OP described it.

One additional mod that I did (that the Verholen kit likely addresses) is the shifter assy pivot bushing. My 98' had a very sloppy pivot bushing, the whole lever rocked. I had a brass bushing made to replace the sloppy stock one which made it operate like (I dare say) a well engineered German machine...
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Skeeter' for this post:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Getting up to speed

Thumbs up Re: K1200GT/RS Short Shift Mod

Excellent!

This seems to be well-worth the investment.

Something I have noticed as well as problematic with this bike...now I don't feel like a knucklehead...wait, didn't I just drop my bike...oh yeah, that was me crying wasn't it?

This one is on the to-do list now!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
There's a good explanation with customer comments here:
http://www.pirateslair.net/VerholenQSK.htm

The shifter height is changed by the link settings.
There's a separate mod that many have done to rotate the lever end up, giving boot room for a USA man sized boot.
This mod makes the throw more typical to other bikes for less of a pronounced foot motion when "snicking" through the gears as the OP described it.

One additional mod that I did (that the Verholen kit likely addresses) is the shifter assy pivot bushing. My 98' had a very sloppy pivot bushing, the whole lever rocked. I had a brass bushing made to replace the sloppy stock one which made it operate like (I dare say) a well engineered German machine...

This is what I was trying to get to the bottom of. It is very easy to Dremel the shifter toe link so it will rotate upwards and allow big boot toes to fit underneath. I've already done that.

The Verholen link says:

Here's the solution. This kit will shorten the overly long gear shift throw of any model year K1200RS or GT substantially making upshifts quicker, easier,

That means the mod. must change the distance ratio from the toe link to pivot and pivot to the selector spline shaft. That is the bit I haven't yet worked out. But school mechanics was never my strong point. When I can get under the bike and look at my linkage the penny might drop.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:17 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,032 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
This is what I was trying to get to the bottom of. It is very easy to Dremel the shifter toe link so it will rotate upwards and allow big boot toes to fit underneath. I've already done that.

The Verholen link says:

Here's the solution. This kit will shorten the overly long gear shift throw of any model year K1200RS or GT substantially making upshifts quicker, easier,

That means the mod. must change the distance ratio from the toe link to pivot and pivot to the selector spline shaft. That is the bit I haven't yet worked out. But school mechanics was never my strong point. When I can get under the bike and look at my linkage the penny might drop.

VOX,
With the help of a friend machinist, I have also done a copy of the Verholen kit 2 years ago. By rough measurements only based on available pictures, I came up with pretty much the same parts look and measurement as Roland just shown in excellent write-up.

The up/down shifter trow distance is reduced roughly by 50% but you need more force applied (shorter leverage compromise). Because I have medium-short feet length (I am only 5' 6"), I do not like the added force required - those with longer feet will not notice as much as me the added force to be applied.

I understand why most would prefer this compromise on a K1200RS (shorter trow although need a bit more force).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parts for K1200RS for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
This is what I was trying to get to the bottom of. It is very easy to Dremel the shifter toe link so it will rotate upwards and allow big boot toes to fit underneath.
Here's a link for others as a visual to show what we're describing for more "boot room".
Roland's pictures are typical of that shifter mod being done.
http://nwlink.com/~paulcl/shiftermod/
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Skeeter' for this post:
Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
VOX,
With the help of a friend machinist, I have also done a copy of the Verholen kit 2 years ago. By rough measurements only based on available pictures, I came up with pretty much the same parts look and measurement as Roland just shown in excellent write-up.

The up/down shifter trow distance is reduced roughly by 50% but you need more force applied (shorter leverage compromise). Because I have medium-short feet length (I am only 5' 6"), I do not like the added force required - those with longer feet will not notice as much as me the added force to be applied.

I understand why most would prefer this compromise on a K1200RS (shorter trow although need a bit more force).

Thanks, I understand about the feet.

Once I was able to rotate the first section of the shifter after the mod, I tried it in various positions along my boot. At the extreme toe I couldn't feel much at all and needed less pivot on the foot peg. The sweet spot for me is about 1 inch back, about where my toes stop and the boot shape curves downwards. In that position the throw feels long, but over the years I've just got used to lifting my foot up off the peg and at least I know the shifter always returns.

After adding bar risers and replacing the pegs with later GT pegs to win 20mm lower, I was pleased I could now rotate the shifter lever, as my riding is more upright.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I do not like the added force required - those with longer feet will not notice as much as me the added force to be applied.

I understand why most would prefer this compromise on a K1200RS (shorter throw although need a bit more force).
Sailor, how much did you cut off on yours? Roland's pics show the stock arm to be about 80 mm from the shaft center + about 5 mm to the ball pivot, so approx. 85 mm pivot to pivot. His spec was a 33 mm cut, about a 40% change which would be within the margin of mathematical error to translate as being approx. 40% reduction in travel. Mine was about 1/2 the cut amount, so approx. 20% reduction in travel. Something in the ball park of a 20 mm cut is sounds like a good happy medium.

That reminds me of a joke:
What to you call a escapee psychic midget?
A small medium at large.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Twisted Wrister

Great Post Roland! All the comments are great. I never really noticed the long throw until I got off my K1300S w/ shift assist and jumped on the RS....very noticeable then. Then, compared to the Kawi track bike set to race, it is a real big difference. With all the machining involved, I can see why it costs what it does to buy the pre-done kit (since they have to buy the BMW parts and do the machining). Having no access to my drill press, etc, that kit may be the best option for me or for a non-mechanically inclined owner.
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold
Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Sailor, how much did you cut off on yours? Roland's pics show the stock arm to be about 80 mm from the shaft center + about 5 mm to the ball pivot, so approx. 85 mm pivot to pivot. His spec was a 33 mm cut, about a 40% change which would be within the margin of mathematical error to translate as being approx. 40% reduction in travel. Mine was about 1/2 the cut amount, so approx. 20% reduction in travel. Something in the ball park of a 20 mm cut is sounds like a good happy medium.

Several years apart, my guess is Roland and I bother looked at the Verholen pictures of the Kit and just guessed the distance to cut - fairly easy to see as there is a ridge in the alu shifter part going into transmission.

I remove the kit last year to go back to stock, so it was easy to go back in garage to take measurements and pictures. Pretty amazing that I am +/- 2 mm of Roland measurements.

See attached photos:
(1) one is the nice drawing my friend machinist had done from my rough sketch (shifter extension in Stainless). I added the equivalent Metric measurements to compare with Roland version.

(2) the other photos is to show parts side-by-side before and after the cut. I cut 36 mm but added a 1 mm washer at end. It has been a few years, and I cannot recall if washer was because to protect soft alu or to extend a bit for better alignment with main shifter (so ball-joint rod is more vertical).

If I had to do it again I would probably cut less as to compromise on having less reduction of shifter trow, but less force required for up leverage (long feet guys will think otherwise).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Overmaintained

Thanks for the kind comments guys, and also thanks to the guys who elaborated on the purpose of this modification and provided links that explain it all.
I keep a cheap camera in my workshop (garage) and tend to photograph what ever project I am working on at the time.

Yes it is absoutely inspired by the Verholen 'kit', but it was easy enough to make up the extension piece with just a drill press so I gave it a try and what you see above is the result.

Skeeter, you are dead right, (well spotted !!) the dremel mod has been done on my shifter to bring it forward. I am a tall guy (6'6") with big boots. The stock shift pedal position(s) did not suit me and although the dremel mod did make it better, shortening the ball link rod as I described brought it down to where i am happy with it. Its all a matter of personal preference.

When I first got the bike I had to lift my whole foot off the pedal to change gears, personally, I found that annoying.
My riding history is large Kwakas and Hondas, both were reasonably short shifts, certainly shorter than the K12GT.

I dont find there is any trade off in terms off effort to change gears, perhaps thats just me, perhaps its the bike too.

Jean, you are right in your asumption, I researched it to bits and then set about re-creating it. Interesting you ended up at 33.34mm extension as well. I can imagine that if the shift pedal was not moved forward then this mod would make a difference in terms of effort to change gears. Understandably, you have returned to stock.

With the shift pedal as far forward as it can go, the amount of movement needed to change gears is quite large. Moving the pedal forward increases the movement needed for a gear change, and I find, makes 'crossing' neutral less reliable.

Reducing the length of the splined gear lever from the gear box resets this, and allows big boots to get in there and have a sharp shifting gear change. I did the mod 2 weeks ago and havent hit an accidental neutral since.

That was the main motivation in doing this mod, and I am very happy with the result.
It just makes it that much more fun to ride.
R.

'04 K12GT ...... '04 R11S
Previously
ZZR1100D4, CBR1000FL, GSX600FL, GS250FW, RGV250VJ22, GSX250
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Twisted Wrister

Great writeup RolandS888! I have to admit, it puts a bit of shame on me... You see, I built a similar home-brew short shifter back in September and took a bunch of pics and measurements with the intention of a similar type of post, but you beat me to it! I hope you don't mind, I'll throw in my additions to your thread here.

I have always had the occasional problem with a false neutral on this bike. In a discussion a couple of years ago, I surmised that the short shift mod might alleviate the problem if it were due to simply inadequate travel applied to the lever. I also drew up what I thought the OP was talking about with his modification (very similar to yours, based on his description):
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=42336

Fast forward to last year and I found a used Verholen kit for basically half price, so I grabbed it. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that there is a difference in the shifter arms between early and late bikes, and this kit was for an early one. No problem, I would just use the Verholen arm on the gearbox and modify my shifter arm to match. I did that, and the shifting action was much improved: much shorter throw, crisper action, acceptable increase of force required, and most importantly NO MORE FALSE NEUTRALS. However, I did find one drawback: Finding the REAL neutral was more challenging. Not impossible, but just irritating.

So, I thought to myself, why not change it a bit to find a happy medium? Luckily, my method for modifying the shift arm is completely reversible, so it was easy to change.

First, all of the discussion I've seen here and in the past has talked about a 33mm change. What I found on the Verholen kit I received was that it was approximately 40mm shorter. Maybe that only applies to the early shifter? I decided to start with something around 27mm - 28mm. If that wasn't short enough I could easily cut the gearbox arm more, but it would be a bit harder to add back length. For the shifter arm, in order to make the modification reversible, I simply used a threaded rod, a threaded coupler and a couple of nuts. (See attached pics.)

The result: I am completely happy! I get all of the benefits I found in the original kit (albeit slightly less dramatic difference from stock) and neutral is less picky to find. It's still a little reluctant sometimes, but not maddeningly so. All of the rave reviews of the kit are justified, I think. I encourage DIY guys to go for it. As a side note, I still have all the parts from the early bike kit that I'll let go for what I paid, if anyone is interested (please PM me rather than clogging up this sticky thread).

Explanation of the attachments in order:
  1. The Verholen kit for early K12RS
  2. Comparison of Verholen gearbox lever to stock
  3. My gearbox lever cut
  4. Comparison of gearbox levers
  5. Comparison of gearbox levers
  6. My kit parts
  7. Shifter rod assembled

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingiron
Great writeup RolandS888! I have to admit, it puts a bit of shame on me... You see, I built a similar home-brew short shifter back in September and took a bunch of pics and measurements with the intention of a similar type of post, but you beat me to it! I hope you don't mind, I'll throw in my additions to your thread here.

I have always had the occasional problem with a false neutral on this bike. In a discussion a couple of years ago, I surmised that the short shift mod might alleviate the problem if it were due to simply inadequate travel applied to the lever. I also drew up what I thought the OP was talking about with his modification (very similar to yours, based on his description):
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=42336

Fast forward to last year and I found a used Verholen kit for basically half price, so I grabbed it. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that there is a difference in the shifter arms between early and late bikes, and this kit was for an early one. No problem, I would just use the Verholen arm on the gearbox and modify my shifter arm to match. I did that, and the shifting action was much improved: much shorter throw, crisper action, acceptable increase of force required, and most importantly NO MORE FALSE NEUTRALS. However, I did find one drawback: Finding the REAL neutral was more challenging. Not impossible, but just irritating.

So, I thought to myself, why not change it a bit to find a happy medium? Luckily, my method for modifying the shift arm is completely reversible, so it was easy to change.

First, all of the discussion I've seen here and in the past has talked about a 33mm change. What I found on the Verholen kit I received was that it was approximately 40mm shorter. Maybe that only applies to the early shifter? I decided to start with something around 27mm - 28mm. If that wasn't short enough I could easily cut the gearbox arm more, but it would be a bit harder to add back length. For the shifter arm, in order to make the modification reversible, I simply used a threaded rod, a threaded coupler and a couple of nuts. (See attached pics.)

The result: I am completely happy! I get all of the benefits I found in the original kit (albeit slightly less dramatic difference from stock) and neutral is less picky to find. It's still a little reluctant sometimes, but not maddeningly so. All of the rave reviews of the kit are justified, I think. I encourage DIY guys to go for it. As a side note, I still have all the parts from the early bike kit that I'll let go for what I paid, if anyone is interested (please PM me rather than clogging up this sticky thread).

Eric,
Great write-up and FANTASTIC idea about the threaded coupler and nuts - this is is really great thinking. Not better or cleaner than Roland or my method, but anyone without a machinist can do this. Minimum tooling would be a TAP to do treads into the transmission short lever after having cut it.

When I did mine, I unfortunately stayed within the original idea of Verholen. Your post and photos show that we should always try to think "outside-the-box" and ask the question: "what is the easiest / simplest method I could use to achieve a given goal?"

I also felt the force to apply was causing more difficulty in finding neutral (when stopping or just before stopping). This is the main reason why I have removed my home-made kit for now (and gone back to stock).
Old 04-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
VOX,

A thought on the extra force required to shift gears.....
When I rebuilt the project bike last year I took the whole clutch assembly in & had it dynamically balanced. The resulting ease of shifting is amazing. Nothing else has been changed but my 98 bike now shifts effortlessly compared to the 2004 bike which has the factory balanced assembly.
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Getting up to speed

Love this thread... I have been looking for a kit for my 02 for.... 5 years now Looks like I need to get all the bits and pieces off fleabay and get cracking on getting the trans back in check.

I recently rode my buddies KTM supermoto and getting on my K I thought the trans lever was broken
Old 04-04-2016, 08:01 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasteknoviking
Love this thread... I have been looking for a kit for my 02 for.... 5 years now Looks like I need to get all the bits and pieces off fleabay and get cracking on getting the trans back in check.

I recently rode my buddies KTM supermoto and getting on my K I thought the trans lever was broken

Mike,
For the last 14 years here I have seen complains similar to yours about the sloppy / too-much-travel shift lever movement on the K1200RS. I do not deny this movement is more than the average Jap bike OR that the design could be improved. In fact, Verholen and some 3rd party vendors made money offering a solution, so many must have taught it was a problem FOR THEM.

As for myself, after 13 years and 91,000 miles I can live with it if properly tightened, adjusted and lubed (more on this below).

HOWEVER, where I have to draw the line and clarify is this:
1) To my knowledge, nobody here as ever offered specific measurements (UP/DOWN) for a stock GOOD-WORKING setup the way it came from the factory.

2) Many K1200RS I have worked on (or inspected) showed a lack of maintenance where I found some of linkage bolts loose OR the linkage balls / bolts not greased.

HENCE... this lead me to this current post. All these complains are very subjective if we do not have a baseline to compare. How do I know if some of these complains were not from a few loose bolts or ball joints attachements?

TODAY, to rest this case, I finally decided to make measurements on my K1200RS (2002). Keep in mind the bushings (inside black lever pivot) and the ball-joints were well lubed but have some wear at 91,000 miles. My best guess is a new bike would have 10 to 20% less play / movement. Note that measurements were done with bike on center-stand, ignition OFF and rear-wheel rotated by had to engage/mesh the gears as needed to get full shifter action.

The UP movement was measured as an average vertical travel of 1 1/8 (1.12 inch) from Neutral-to-2 , from 2-to-3.
The DOWN movement was measured as a vertical travel of 11/16 to 3/4 (0.68 to 0.75 inch) from Neutral-to-1 , from 3-to-2. See attached photo to follow me on this...

SO... before making a case that you do not like yours, please compare to baseline and fix the current parts if needed. Anything more than above is suspect and every parts in EXTERNAL LINKAGE should be checked. You would be surprised the horror I have seen in the way people put these back together sometimes. Plastic bushing in main black shift lever (pivoting into frame bolt) are not available separately, BUT the metal spacer and the bolts are available as spare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1200RS (2002) Shifter_UP-DOWN_travel.JPG (203.3 KB, 37 views)
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 11-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Excellent thread.

I tried this out and moved the ball connector on the gearbox arm 25mm closer to the gearbox shaft and am very pleased with the results. I may try 30 mm and compare the two.

Shifting is much easier now, and I never have the problem of the arm not fully returning to its center position anymore. As you know this prevents another shift until the arm clicks into the center location which can be frustrating.

The method I used was a bit different than Roland's (thanks Roland for an excellent and well documented post). I wanted to be able to try different offsets and so didn't want to cut the gearbox arm.

My method is shown in the attached photo.

I attached a small 1/8 thick aluminum angle bracket to the end of the stock gearbox arm. This allows you to reverse the direction of the arm's ball joint, which shortens its distance to the pivot by 22mm. Move it another 3mm closer to the fulcrum by adding 3 stainless steel washers and it equals the 25mm (~1") length of the spacer I added to the end of the foot pedal protrusion.

I made my spacer from a drilled and tapped a 1/2" diameter aluminum rod. In retrospect it would have been easier to buy a pre-drilled spacer and simply enlarge the hole with the correct tap drill size for 6mm thread (13/64" or 5.2mm). Here's a link to a suitable pre-drilled spacer:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#91780a348/=1575cxa

The angle bracket on the gearbox arm not only moves the ball joint closer to the arm's pivot but also moves the ball forward by 13mm. This positions it directly under the gear shift lever's ball, eliminating the offset force vector of the original geometry which had a fairly significant fore-aft angle on the adjustable connector. This reduces the force required on the shift pedal compared to the stock alignment, which partially offsets the added force needed by the shortened arm. I didn't notice the extra force while riding and really appreciated the extra speed in shifting.

Many thanks to those who paved the way for this mod.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jskene' for this post:
Old 11-25-2016, 09:16 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene
Excellent thread.

I tried this out and moved the ball connector on the gearbox arm 25mm closer to the gearbox shaft and am very pleased with the results. I may try 30 mm and compare the two.
The angle bracket on the gearbox arm not only moves the ball joint closer to the arm's pivot but also moves the ball forward by 13mm. This positions it directly under the gear shift lever's ball, eliminating the offset force vector of the original geometry which had a fairly significant fore-aft angle on the adjustable connector. This reduces the force required on the shift pedal compared to the stock alignment, which partially offsets the added force needed by the shortened arm. I didn't notice the extra force while riding and really appreciated the extra speed in shifting.

Many thanks to those who paved the way for this mod.

Jerry,

Very well designed mod - congrats and thanks for posting this.

Although your solution does requires more steps/parts, it does indeed solve the offset force vector of the original BMW design. Wished the idea came from me ;-)

Without this new idea (addition of offset bracket), the angled force vector does get even larger after most other type of modifications previously offered (including original Verholen design).
Old 11-26-2016, 07:46 PM
Twisted Wrister

Why???? Pre-load, pop, done. No wrenching needed.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:59 PM
Twisted Wrister

I figure that, with the number of riders doing this mod and their happiness afterward, those of us who have not tried it don't know what we are missing.....so to speak...I am assuming the mod provides its benefits for both up and down shifting, when preloading is not a good idea at least on my bike...
I have no complaints on mine, but I do wonder if it would feel better if I had a shorter throw on the shifting. My track bike was for sure shorter and was a real dream in that situation....it all makes me curious. I would like to try it, but would like it to be reversible in the event I had difficulty locating neutral, etc.
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold
Old 11-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Entering the on-ramp

The method I used is completely reversible and also allows you to try different offsets.

Note that aligning the ball joint connector vertically, eliminating the offset force vector also reduces the slop in the linkage, so as well as reducing the shift throw the shift pedal feels much more connected to the shift arm. Once you try this you won't go back.

Here are some links to the necessary materials :

- angle aluminum, 3/4" x 1/8" thick, 36" long, only 32mm length needed: @ $7.30
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...1397/204273997
Lowes probably carries this as well.

- threaded standoff, also called rod coupling nut, 25mm long with 6mm threaded hole @ $2.56 each: LINK
- other lengths available are 20mm, 30mm for different offsets.

You will also need:
- a short length of 6mm threaded rod, or cut the head off a 6mm bolt
- M6 x 15mm hex bolt to attach the bracket to the shift lever
- 6mm nylock nut to secure the shift lever ball to the bracket
- a few shim washers to offset the shift lever ball

Don't forget to file the underside of the shift lever so it is perfectly flat and mount the angle bracket right up against this surface. This will prevent the bracket from rotating on its mounting screw.

Total cost should be less that $15.

Here's another photo of the linkage off the bike, which makes it a bit easier to see what's going on:

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jskene' for this post:
Old 11-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Twisted Wrister

I might try this once I actually retire and have time and a place to work on the bike (soon theoretically....hope, hope) ....
I also still swear by those Photon-Blasters!
Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Gull
....I also still swear by those Photon-Blasters!

Thanks for the comment on your Photon Blasters. They are on sale today (Cyber Monday - 2016) if you need a set for a new bike.

I plan to make a second version of the short-shift mod with a 40 mm offset from stock. I'll post my observations on it here.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Twisted Wrister

Very cool version of the mod that's totally reversible! I'm glad I kept an original lever, so I will definitely be trying this out with various offsets. I'm still very happy with my arrangement (see above), but neutral is very slightly touchy. It'll be nice to be able to try various changes and see if the offset reduction will help, too.

For those wondering why you'd do the mod, the reduced throw just makes it feel soooo much less sloppy. Plus, when doing quick shifts up through the gears, it's much less likely you'll fail to return the lever to rest position before trying to snick up to the next. (Yes, I did just use the word "snick" when referring to a BMW transmission! That alone should get you interested in this mod.) Now that we have a clear DIY kit that's fully reversible, there's no reason not to try it out.

Oh, and I'll add another plug for the Skene Design lights: I LOVE the P3 lights on the rear of my bike. They aren't just simple LEDs linked to the brakes. The "Conspicuity Flicker" of the running lights really works incredibly well. When braking, these suckers are way brighter than most others I've seen. Well worth the price, IMO.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Twisted Wrister

I just wanted to report back that I finally got around to trying out Skene's version of this mod. I switched my shortened lever back to a stock length one and made a bracket from angle aluminum just like his. Result: I think it's a subtle difference from what I had before, but I'm pretty sure the reduced offset force vector has made for a more positive feel on the shifter. It is ever-so-slightly easier to get into neutral now, and the crisp shifting is at least as good as before, probably better. Bottom line, this is now a very cheap and easy DIY job and totally reversible. No reason not to try it!

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq