I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,390 Times in 867 Posts

Question Out of State Straight Pipes?

State of residence laws prohibit removal of catalytic converter.

Adjacent state dealership claims they can sell a new bike under warranty without a "cat" and, since it was purchased out-of-state and the straight pipe is sold by the bike makers company, it will now be legal in my state of residence and the warranty will not be voided?

Sounds like BS.

What say you???
Old 04-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,402 Times in 2,203 Posts

Re: Out of State Straight Pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW

Adjacent state dealership claims they can sell a new bike under warranty without a "cat" and, since it was purchased out-of-state and the straight pipe is sold by the bike makers company, it will now be legal in my state of residence and the warranty will not be voided?

Sounds like BS.

What say you???

I'm not sure it works like that. A bigger key would be vehicle inspections. Does the state of residence have vehicle inspections? If so, it might be a problem although many bikes can pass emissions without the cat.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
BMW
Old 04-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW

Sounds like BS.

What say you???
Used vehicles are OK but new must comply with the state of registration. It doesn't matter squat what state it was bought in or what their laws are. BTDT.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Postmeister

California has an emissions program for smog controls on automobiles. They do not have an inspection program for motorcycles. But when it is registered in Calif. it must comply with state regulations. You would need the Cat. to pass.

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'McWideglide' for this post:
BMW
Old 04-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
I'm not sure it works like that. A bigger key would be vehicle inspections. Does the state of residence have vehicle inspections? If so, it might be a problem although many bikes can pass emissions without the cat.

Good point.

Several counties in my state of residence have vehicle inspection for emissions.

Mine, and most others, do not.

Even in the former counties, the following vehicles have permanent exemption:

Quote:
Vehicles more than 25 years old.

Commercial vehicles with a GVWR 10,000 pounds or over.

Historical and collector's vehicles.

Parade and exhibition vehicles.

Motorcycles, recreational vehicles (RVs) and motor homes.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Site Contributor

Question Re: Out of State Straight Pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Used vehicles are OK but new must comply with the state of registration. It doesn't matter squat what state it was bought in or what their laws are. BTDT.

So would a bike used and sold as a demo be considered used?

The buyer could take the bike out for a demo ride before purchase.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Site Contributor

Question Re: Out of State Straight Pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWideglide
California has an emissions program for smog controls on automobiles. They do not have an inspection program for motorcycles. But when it is registered in Calif. it must comply with state regulations. You would need the Cat. to pass.

No way around that without breaking the law.

One could legally have the straight pipe added by the dealership in the other state, which permits removal of the cat, purchase the bike, bring it to the state of residence, switch the cat back on, register, then switch back.

That would theoretically keep the warranty intact but the bike would be illegal to ride in the state of residence.

The issue then is how would you be caught if emission checks were not required?

BTW, federal law prohibits removal of the cat.

I can see it now: pull over at the souvenir shop on the east side of the Badlands during the Sturgis Rally, and in addition to the drug sniffing dogs checking vehicles in the parking lot (BTDT) there would be smog sniffing dogs.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Thanked 2,252 Times in 945 Posts

Can a dog smell a cat if it’s not there? That is the real question

Current Rides
2017 BMW K1300R
2004 Yamaha WR 450F

Previous Rides
1982 Suzuki GSX 250S
1993 Suzuki DR350
2004 BMW 650GS Dakar
2005 BMW K1200R
2013 BMW K1300R
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'doctor350' for this post:
Old 04-10-2018, 06:23 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,191 Posts

"Sounds like BS." duh, you think?

Last year or so in this forum a guy could not register a several year old K bike in California because the OEM seat with the polution control stickers on the bottom if it had been replaced, no stickers.
You better have stock pipes available and the silencer has to have the OEM embossment. And all that other little stuff like reflectors. I imagine there are a few locations that could give a shite.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
BMW
Old 04-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
So would a bike used and sold as a demo be considered used?

The buyer could take the bike out for a demo ride before purchase.
Doesnt work that way. First title is “new” regardles of age or miles. Like i said, BTDT. Had to turn in a 1day old 2012 Jeep because it did not meet our state emission requirements. Bought in NC during our move to PA. It could not be registered.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Postmeister

I know several people who get their vehicles " Hot Smogged " It costs a bit but to a vehicle that has all smog devices removed works well. I wonder if looking at the "Bone Hard " you could find a cat back and a stock seat with emission sticker in place ? A few bucks could get your your Ca Registration in order.

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'McWideglide' for this post:
BMW
Old 04-11-2018, 06:11 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

Move out of that state to a state that isn’t so controlling. Isn’t removeing pollution devices on vets that go on public roads technically illegal in all 50 states?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Karlb' for this post:
BMW
Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

As noted previously if you are a current resident of California then a new vehicle (defined as having less than 7,500 miles, even if it has previously been registered in another state) can only be registered if it has a California emissions certification on the emissions sticker. There are a few exceptions such as active-duty military, car obtained as a part of a divorce, car obtained to replace a car stolen while you are out if state, etc., but basically... no sticker , no register. If you are moving to California (i.e. not a current resident) then you can bring in 'new' vehicles without California certification as long as they have at least Federal (49 state) emissions certification. I can't find anything however that says that a California resident can't bring in a used vehicle (more than 7,500 miles) without California emissions certification as long as it is at least 49-state compliant. Regardless, all vehicles (new or used, resident or not) would have to pass a basic emissions test so they can't have any illegal modifications such as cat removal, etc.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'millers' for this post: