I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > General Discussions > GPS Units, Software & Routes > GPS General discussion
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

GPS General discussion Non-brand specific discussion, generic mounts, etc. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-13-2018, 10:55 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Thumbs down EASY MAPPING TO GARMIN 4 PLEASE!!!

I am about to go on a trip and would like to lay out the route on a map and convert it to files for my garmin BMW 4. I will lay out likely a day at a time. is it possible to save on laptop and load each day from hard drive of laptop so I do not overload Garmin as it has north America and Europe maps on it. I came across Furkot and wonder if this is my answer to SIMPLE?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:36 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,261 Times in 560 Posts

Re: EASY MAPPING TO GARMIN 4 PLEASE!!!

I can't remember if the Nav IV has a slot for an SD card as the Nav V does. If it does then your concerns about memory go away - just buy an SD card with enough capacity and you can put all your routes on that and call them up day by day.

Having said that I have found in practice that it's generally easier to simply store key waypoints plus the end destination for each day's ride, and simply ride waypoint to waypoint. Garmin's mapping software - Basecamp - is really clunky and often a PITA to use.
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 AM
B2R

Send a message via Skype™ to B2R

Use the day planner in basecamp and it will give you a route for each day which you can load into the GPS. Basecamp have just been updated and is now much better and stable.
KTM 1290 SAS ('17)
KTM 1090 R ('17)
BMW 1600GT ("18)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Nice day for somethin'

+1 on BaseCamp. I have version 4.7.0 and recently used it to plan a four day trip for the Hog Ridin' Fools.

You have to format your SD card in the FAT 32 format in order to use it to store routes, waypoints, etc., and have the Garmin GPS actually be able to see it. There's tons of stuff about this on the Internet. Here's something from Garmin: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...LI8SE5KmrY9k27. Only problem is, my computer has the latest update to Win 10, and no longer can format stuff in FAT 32. Oh NO! I downloaded RUFUS from https://rufus.akeo.ie/ and formatted my 32 Gb SD card. Now that works like a champ. I can create a route in the SD card, or I can create it in a folder in Basecamp, then drag and drop it into the SD card on my GPS, provided I have my GPS plugged into the 'puter via a USB cord.

Sorry to run on and on, but I'm on my third cup of coffee!

Creating routes from point A to Point B is easy. Getting the route to follow the roads you want takes a bit more patience and a fine touch. One way is to start a route, then create a new waypoint at each turn, ending up at your destination. Another way is to create a route from A to B, then add waypoints for your twisties using a "rubber band" technique. This can be tricky, as Basecamp will want to direct you to go down that road, then turn around and go back to the simple route. You have to keep creating waypoints on your proposed route to "convince" Basecamp that you indeed want to ride that route all the way through.

Finally, when you get that route set up, double click on the route and open up the info panel. Double click on the start and set your departure date and time. Then, when you are out on your ride, the various routes will come up in date order on your GPS.

OK - Gotta go. Happy riding.

Oh yeah: Here's a good article on Basecamp: http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article_main.shtml

Scroll down to get to it. A lot of other useful stuff is in there also.

Seeya
ATB